Thread: Mugs Board: The Styx / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=5;t=003462

Posted by luvanddaisies (# 5761) on :

The handle of my much-loved Ship Of Fools mug, bought many years ago at the CRE, has just dropped off, and I went to buy a new one (I still have my ITTWACW one, but I can’t bear to lose my Ship one). It worked until I got to the payment page when I got a 404 error.
Is it just a broken link, or are the mugs no more?
[Help]

[ 27. January 2018, 21:35: Message edited by: luvanddaisies ]

Posted by Curiosity killed ... (# 11770) on :

The mugs still exist, and are still for sale. I suspect an error.

If I can reorganise to come to the Absent Friends Meet, I'll bring some along.

Posted by Wesley J (# 6075) on :

I've just tried, and it's the credit card payment page that doesn't work - the PayPal payment link opens the PayPal page, so that one appears to be ok, as far as I can see. Perhaps use that method?

Hope this helps. [Smile]

Posted by Lamb Chopped (# 5528) on :

I tried to buy a set too (about six months ago) and I don't think anything came of it. [Waterworks]

I'll pm you, Lamb Chopped

quote:
Originally posted by Wesley J:
I've just tried, and it's the credit card payment page that doesn't work - the PayPal payment link opens the PayPal page, so that one appears to be ok, as far as I can see. Perhaps use that method?

Hope this helps. [Smile]

I tried both, neither worked.

If you can bring some to the Absent Friends meet, that’d be awesome, thanks Curiosity Killed...

Wait, no, I take it all back... I tried it again just now, and it worked! A new mug is going to appear all by itself (this was the PayPal link). It seems to be working today. Hooray!

Sorry.

Well, Simon have an email notification of the order, forward it to me, I'll parcel it up and post it to you. (As all this normally happens in real names I don't usually know if a Shipmate is ordering or if I get that far, which Shipmate.)

Silly question here - I haven't got much experience with microwave ovens: are 'our' mugs microwave-proof?

Thanks.

Posted by Alan Cresswell (# 31) on :

I quite regularly put my ITTWACW mug in the microwave, and haven't had any obvious problems.

Just as I thought. ITTWACW not being mugged by waves of any size, but standing firm and the test of time. Thanks, Alan!

Posted by jacobsen (# 14998) on :

I have however seen a mug where the lettering had become somewhat faded by repeated dishwasher use.

Posted by Simon (# 1) on :

Just a note to say that we've discontinued our account with WorldPay, who used to handle our credit card payments. So this morning I've removed that option from the mugs payment page. This means that everything now goes through PayPal, although you can still pay by credit card via the PayPal site. Sorry for any confusion.

Posted by balaam (# 4543) on :

My ITTWACW mug is very faded due to dishwasher use. Or just repeated washing.

Posted by RooK (# 1852) on :

My Hellmug stays suspiciously bright and shiny on the inside. I suspect that souls are mildly corrosive - or, at least the ones I sip from here are.

My mug is still bright and shiny. But, I wash it in the sink by hand rather than use a dish washer - saving both my mug from harsh dishwashing in a machine, and cutting (or, not adding to since in this case it's about not buying a dishwasher rather than stopping using one) my carbon footprint (is there an "I'm virtuous and smug about it" smiley?).

Posted by BroJames (# 9636) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
<snip>cutting (or, not adding to since in this case it's about not buying a dishwasher rather than stopping using one) my carbon footprint<snip>

Maybe

quote:
Originally posted by BroJames:
quote:
<snip>cutting (or, not adding to since in this case it's about not buying a dishwasher rather than stopping using one) my carbon footprint<snip>

Maybe
Yeah, we've had that discussion here before. Most sites doing the comparison seem to be US so give water use as about 4 gallons; assuming I'm not too far off converting that to proper units I use about half that to wash 2-3 days worth of dishes, and a fraction of the detergent present in the dishwasher tabs I've seen. I conclude that a lot of handwashers are profligate in water and detergent usage, which seriously skews the stats.

[which is before we add in the environmental costs of manufacturing, transport and disposal of a dishwasher]

[ 07. February 2018, 17:34: Message edited by: Alan Cresswell ]

Posted by Leorning Cniht (# 17564) on :

quote:
assuming I'm not too far off converting that to proper units I use about half that to wash 2-3 days worth of dishes,

You can wash two or three days of dishes in two US gallons of water? If you have a sink/bowl which is just big enough to hold a dinner plate, a US gallon is a bit more than an inch and a half of water in the bottom. SO two gallons a bit over 3 inches.

I could probably wash up a light meal in that, but 2-3 days, including pots and pans? I don't think I'd stand a chance.

My sink is approx. 30x40cm, and normally I end with about 8-10cm of water in there when I finish. About 10-12 litre, which having found an online converter is 2.5-3.0 US gallon. Which is a bit more than the 2.0-2.5 I had thought it was (mainly because my sink is a bit bigger than I thought). Perhaps last time we had this conversation I was at a previous address with a smaller sink.

If I've boiled the kettle for tea I'll often use any water left to rinse out any pots and pans I may have around, rather than waste that hot water. Though, no reason you couldn't do that before putting pans in a dishwasher, so not all that relevant.

I love the Ship. Such considered discussion of washing up water usage.

In other ‘news’, neither my ITTWACW mug nor my Ship Of Fools mug faded at all over the years (and I’ve had them since h first wave of muggery back in whenever it was). The handle dropped off the Ship one, hence my urgent need for replacement as without it I am bereft and my tea is not as good (although I am thinking I could superglue the handle back on. What’s a good glue brand that’s not water-soluble?).

Then I’d have three mugs. I could try to grow two more heads to match, but then I’d need three hands. Life is complicated.
Am I overtired?

Posted by BroJames (# 9636) on :

Generally glue manufacturers tend to recommend their products are not used for containers of hot liquids - even epoxy adhesives and superglues.

I've superglued broken plates which survived the dishwasher afterwards, though if the glue gradually flaked off/deteriorated, regluing might eventually become necessary.

Both Lamb Chopped's and luvanddaisies' orders went into the post today.

Apparently there was a glitch, now sorted.

eta apostrophe

[ 08. February 2018, 17:10: Message edited by: Curiosity killed ... ]

Ooh! Oooh! [Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee]

quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
Both Lamb Chopped's and luvanddaisies' orders went into the post today.

Apparently there was a glitch, now sorted.

eta apostrophe

Thank you very very much. [Overused]

I got my nice shiny new mug this morning. Thank you [Yipee]

Posted by jedijudy (# 333) on :

I have about fifteen mugs in my home. And there is just one of me. However, I have given in to my long time desire to have a Ship mug. Therefore, I have ordered three of them. [Hot and Hormonal]

Guess I'll have to decide which mugs go to the thrift store, now!!!

Am rapidly succumbing to the urge...

Posted by Bishops Finger (# 5430) on :

I've just ordered a nice, shiny, Mystery Worshipper mug (shiny mug, that is, not the Mystery Worshipper).

PayPal worked just fine. Recommended (I use it on eBay quite a lot, may I be forgiven).

IJ

yay! I've got my mugs!

They are going to sit in pride of place down at my desk at [major Christian broadcaster].

Thanks much!

© Ship of Fools 2016