Thread: Facebook and the Ship Board: The Styx / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=5;t=003465

Posted by Rossweisse (# 2349) on :

Is the Ship-of-Fools page on Facebook officially affiliated with the Ship? If so, does a host or moderator run it?

There's currently an apologist for Gordon Cheng (really) there, and the thought occurred that I don't know how that page works.

Thank you.

Posted by RooK (# 1852) on :

To the best of my knowledge, The Ship has no overt say of any kind over the various Facebook incarnations that have existed.

Posted by Gill H (# 68) on :

DNFTT is probably good advice there, matey. [Biased]

Posted by Alan Cresswell (# 31) on :

To the best of my knowledge, Simon created the Ship of Fools page on Facebook and occasionally shares features from the magazine or elsewhere. I don't know what options Facebook would allow to moderate who posts in response to something shared there without significantly restricting who can view what's shared.

Posted by Boogie (# 13538) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
To the best of my knowledge, Simon created the Ship of Fools page on Facebook and occasionally shares features from the magazine or elsewhere. I don't know what options Facebook would allow to moderate who posts in response to something shared there without significantly restricting who can view what's shared.

I’m Admin on a Guide Dogs FB group and we are able to delete, stop commenting, ban posters etc just like on here.

Posted by Amorya (# 2652) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
I’m Admin on a Guide Dogs FB group and we are able to delete, stop commenting, ban posters etc just like on here.

Note that pages and groups are different things. There is both a Ship of Fools page (presumably the one Simon set up) and a Ship of Fools group (admined by Nigel Jones).

Posted by Tortuf (# 3784) on :

I just checked, I am a member of the Ship of Fools Group. Didn't see anything about Gordon on that or the official one.

Maybe it got eliminated.

Thank goodness.

I guess now my only way to keep up with Gordon is to remain fb friends with him. Not that he posts all that much that I see.

There appear to be several groups.

Definitely a mention on the one I am a member of.

Posted by lilBuddha (# 14333) on :

We are evidently several bands; a Grateful dead tribute(yech), a punk band(much better), an indie-rock band (dibs on the girl singer), a folk? band and a couple of comedy troops.
And that is just on the first page or Google.

Posted by Eutychus (# 3081) on :

What is this "Facebook" of which you speak?

Posted by no prophet's flag is set so... (# 15560) on :

Had no knowledge of the situation of which the OP was about. 12 years is a long time. Now I know: Church public relations blogs up discussion about the doctor and the vicar.

I don't know what's being said on FB, it's not part of the Ship and as such not really Styx business beyond it's always nice to know people are talking about us.

But, that incident was one of several times when Gordon showed he had opinions different from the majority here. He wasn't banned for holding different opinions.

Posted by Spike (# 36) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Amorya:
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:

Note that pages and groups are different things. There is both a Ship of Fools page (presumably the one Simon set up) and a Ship of Fools group (admined by Nigel Jones).
Actually, there are two groups and I think I'm an admin on the one that Nigel isn't (if that makes sense). It's very confusing as they both have the same name. Neither of them are officially linked to the Ship

quote:
Originally posted by Gill H:
DNFTT is probably good advice there, matey. [Biased]

DNFTT? Sorry, I don't know that one!
quote:
Originally posted by Spike:
Actually, there are two groups and I think I'm an admin on the one that Nigel isn't (if that makes sense). It's very confusing as they both have the same name. Neither of them are officially linked to the Ship

It is confusing. Thank you for clearing that up.

Posted by Pigwidgeon (# 10192) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Rossweisse:
DNFTT? Sorry, I don't know that one!

Do Not Feed the Trolls

Of course. Thank you. (The poster there was clearly a troll and friend of trolls.)

Posted by Robert Armin (# 182) on :

Wow - now there is an unexpected blast from the past!

quote:
Originally posted by Robert Armin:
Wow - now there is an unexpected blast from the past!

Such blasts can't all bring back happy memories.

Posted by Stercus Tauri (# 16668) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:
What is this "Facebook" of which you speak?

I believe it is some kind of shared fantasy world. If we continue to ignore it, it will probably go away.

Posted by Chorister (# 473) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Spike:

And neither seems to do very much, so if anyone hasn't joined they really aren't missing much.

On the Nigel Jones page, it seems that several planked people are celebrating their imminent returns on the New Ship.

Someone named Henry Balkwill responded to one Dave Carnegie (who keeps saying he was "Curled Spring" - wasn't that "Coiled"?) with "I assume that when they get their new boards, we'll all be able to come back to the website!"

It's as though a gathering of supervillains is preparing an assault on Gotham City.

I think many of us know who Henry Balkwill is (but we're not supposed to mention his name on the Ship IIRC).

I'm sorry. I have no idea who he is.

Posted by Prester John (# 5502) on :

Eat it now!

Posted by Nicolemr (# 28) on :

So they'll either do the same things over and get banned again, or else they won't do the same things over, and will have rehabilitated themselves. Either way, problem solved.

quote:
I'm sorry. I have no idea who he is.

Check your PM box.

Posted by jacobsen (# 14998) on :

I treat Facebook with some caution, though it has its uses in helping to maintain contact with far-flung friends and relatives. Must check on the arcane references up thread. Obviously I've missed out on a lot!

Posted by Marvin the Martian (# 4360) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Nicolemr:
So they'll either do the same things over and get banned again, or else they won't do the same things over, and will have rehabilitated themselves. Either way, problem solved.

Pretty much, yes.

quote:
Originally posted by jacobsen:
Must check on the arcane references up thread. Obviously I've missed out on a lot!

Depending on which arcane references that's either some historical examples of jerkish behaviour on the Ship or some whitterings on Facebook. Either way I suggest that you've not missed out on much.

Posted by passer (# 13329) on :

Running around in circles crying "The sky is falling, the sky is falling!" at the possibility of the arrival of someone you don't want to listen to seems to reflect a bit of a siege-mentality. Were I such an unwanted visitor, such a reaction would only encourage me.

Posted by Marvin the Martian (# 4360) on :

People don’t get banned just because we don’t like what they say. It happens because they broke the 10 Commandments. Repeatedly, in most cases.

And if they break them again, they’ll be banned again. Simples.

Posted by Chorister (# 473) on :

I like the symbolism though of a New Ship giving Unclean Sinners the chance to start over. And find it rather endearing that they even want to try. I, for one, hope they make a decent go of it this time.

Good point, Chorister. Thank you.

The Ship of Second Chances. I like it.

I washed my face and hands before I came here!

(Eliza Dolittle)

Less of the unclean. Are we not all sinners? Have the 10C contraveners received the full 70x7 treatment yet?

Thought not. Query - do the H&As allow 70x7 contraventions?

quote:
...Less of the unclean. Are we not all sinners? Have the 10C contraveners received the full 70x7 treatment yet? ...

Actually, I'm under the strong impression that certain of them have.

Posted by Eutychus (# 3081) on :

quote:
Query - do the H&As allow 70x7 contraventions?

In some cases, it feels more like 70 to the power 7...

Posted by mr cheesy (# 3330) on :

Whilst I can see that this is the only sensible technical option, I'm not relishing being around when the Ship's Biggest Tosspots return.

It's all very well being all virtuous and welcoming, but some of these people were really hurtful.

I can only hope that these keyboard warriors won't bother.

Posted by Boogie (# 13538) on :

quote:
Originally posted by mr cheesy:
Whilst I can see that this is the only sensible technical option, I'm not relishing being around when the Ship's Biggest Tosspots return.

It's all very well being all virtuous and welcoming, but some of these people were really hurtful.

I doubt many will even notice there’s a new ship - they’ll have moved on to annoying new audiences.

quote:

It looks, from that page, as though at least some of them are planning on it.

Although I understand both the Church of the Second Chance (we are all sinners) and the technical difficulties of keeping Certain People off the New Ship, perhaps it wouldn't be unreasonable to hold the previously planked to a higher standard. One strike and you're out?

Or even one dirty look, or equivalent? Despite 70x7 I'm not that keen on tosspots either.

Posted by RooK (# 1852) on :

Remember, the measure of a society's enlightenment is its willingness to endure unpleasantness for the sake of ideals.

Also, I'm quietly drooling backstage.

Posted by Golden Key (# 1468) on :

Rook--

And you're drafting responses to potential posts from previously planked Shipmates, aren't you? A file folder for each parson, all folders kept together.

Psssst...you might try the doctor's fire and brimstone sermons from late in the "Star Trek: Voyager" series. Or some Mark Twain--"pen warmed up in Hell" and all that.

[Biased]

quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
And you're drafting responses to potential posts from previously planked Shipmates, aren't you? A file folder for each parson, all folders kept together.

We have a very special file reserved for clergy.

I'm sure RooK is making a list and checking it twice.

LOL! I meant "person", not "parson". But I imagine there are some parsons in your file.

quote:
Originally posted by RooK:
...Also, I'm quietly drooling backstage.

I certainly hope so.

Posted by Zappa (# 8433) on :

quote:

Oh, I dunno. Gordo was great for my post count.
[Snigger]

Rossweisse--

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by RooK:
...Also, I'm quietly drooling backstage.

I certainly hope so.
You hope that he's drooling, or that he's doing it backstage?

Posted by Patdys (# 9397) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Zappa:
quote:

Oh, I dunno. Gordo was great for my post count.
[Snigger]

Yeah- But not your blood pressure.

Posted by Doc Tor (# 9748) on :

quote:

Let them come. They will break upon this fortress like water on rock.

Some of them have repeatedly returned anyway, demonstrated why they were banned in the first place and were discretely planked. With most people blissfully unaware of the incident.

Posted by Sioni Sais (# 5713) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Chorister:
I like the symbolism though of a New Ship giving Unclean Sinners the chance to start over. And find it rather endearing that they even want to try. I, for one, hope they make a decent go of it this time.

Some already here are pretty grubby. Sailing close to the wind is one thing, trying to cut across the bows is another.

© Ship of Fools 2016