Thread: A problem in the convent Board: The Laugh Judgment / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=61;t=000006

Posted by Simon (# 1) on :

This joke submitted by KenWritez:

Mother Superior calls all the nuns together and says to them: "I must tell you all something. We have a case of gonorrhea in the convent."

"Thank God," says an elderly nun at the back of the room, "I'm so tired of Chardonnay."

Posted by Auntie Doris (# 9433) on :

At least I laughed at that one!

Auntie Doris x

Posted by Back-to-Front (# 5638) on :

I know people like that.

Posted by Triple Tiara (# 9556) on :

Very very funny - I received that on a birthday card this year and nearly wet myself laughing

Posted by Ian Climacus (# 944) on :

Very, very, very good.

Posted by andreas1984 (# 9313) on :

What's "Chardonnay"???

[ 05. July 2005, 14:39: Message edited by: andreas1984 ]

Posted by Back-to-Front (# 5638) on :

Posted by Glimmer (# 4540) on :

[Big Grin]

Posted by andreas1984 (# 9313) on :

[Killing me]

Posted by Lady Alicia of Scouseland (# 7668) on :

[Killing me]

yes I found this one very funny!

Posted by Foolhearty (# 6196) on :

I love jokes like this, which turn on someone's innocence.

Posted by Ariel (# 58) on :

I didn't find it funny. It was the suggestion that nuns screw around enough to get VD. Over and over again you find nuns as the butt of jokes that are predominantly sexual in nature. It seems to be pretty much the only thing anyone ever focuses on when it comes to talking about them in a humorous way - celibacy and the idea that nuns are all gagging for it really.

Posted by Boreal (# 9550) on :

I posted this on the other thread, but the reason why nuns and priests come up so often in this kind of joke is that they're well known to be celibate. Or supposed to be. Humor's found when something doesn't add up. Basically, the nunneries and monestaries are the only place where you'll find a convenient group of celibates who are celibate for their entire lives because they WANT to be.

And the joke isn't that ALL nuns screw around enough to get the clap - it is that someone did.

Posted by Newman's Own (# 420) on :

I did not find it offensive (I know lots of people, not only nuns, who could get confused over a meaning of words), but have to admit I don't find it especially funny.

Of course, this same joke (as a conversation between daughter and mother, not in a convent - ending was 'give it to your father, he'll drink anything') was old when I first heard it during the 1960s.

Posted by hatless (# 3365) on :

I think it works better with Liebfraumilch.

Posted by The Coot (# 220) on :

I liked it - in my appreciation of it sidestepped the implication of lack of chastity in the convent and focussed on the: "Thank God," says an elderly nun at the back of the room, "I'm so tired of Chardonnay."

The disjunction between my image of a holy pious nun and this elderly, jaded, decadent old sot, really tickled me. She sounds quite good fun [Biased]

Posted by Zeke (# 3271) on :

I really laughed hard at this one and am trying to analyze why. Perhaps it's the juxtaposition of a naughty nun, the embarrassment of the mother superior and the naivete of the elderly nun. I don't see her as jaded, just innocent and confused.

Posted by Chapelhead (# 1143) on :

I saw it as being about the innocence of the elderly nun, and so didn’t find it offensive at all.

[ 09. July 2005, 15:46: Message edited by: Chapelhead ]

Posted by Traveller (# 1943) on :

[Snore]

This one is older than the nun making the comment!

[edited to remove "m" and add "n"]

[ 09. July 2005, 19:25: Message edited by: Pyx_e ]

Posted by Sir Kevin (# 3492) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Zeke:
I really laughed hard at this one and am trying to analyze why. Perhaps it's the juxtaposition of a naughty nun, the embarrassment of the mother superior and the naivete of the elderly nun. I don't see her as jaded, just innocent and confused.

Deafness and daftness are always funny!

Posted by themanwiththegingerhair (# 9691) on :

Very funny and not a bit offensive.

I hadn't heard it before so it was really unexpected until the very last word which hit me from nowhere.

[Killing me]

Posted by Pyx_e (# 57) on :

Hosting

Please could we make the content of our posts a little more insightful and encouraging of debate? The voting system is there for you to register your opinion on a couple of issues. The board is here for discussion.

Pyx_e

Hosting

Posted by Ophthalmos (# 3256) on :

I don't find this type of thing funny in the slightest because it just makes fun of someone's idiocy. And obviously, because she's a nun, you shouldn't call her an idiot. Because that's Bad and Wrong. [Roll Eyes]

Offensive? Ha!

Posted by Old Bamber (# 10459) on :

It's not that the nun is an idiot that makes it funny but the thought that an adult could be unaware of what gonnorhea is. That is about innocence and there is a stereotype that rth#e religious are innocent. However we don't expect nuns to be connoiseurs of wine so there is a contrast bewwen the innocence about gonnorhea and the knowledge about wine and it is this juxtaposition which makes it amusing. The fact that it is about sex in a place where there is not supposed to be sex gives it an edge...

Posted by Scoby2 (# 9822) on :

This one made me seriously belly laugh. But I suspect that says more about me than the joke.

Posted by DaveF (# 10538) on :

I agree that it is nice to have innocence as the joke rather than the opposite. In fact it relies on the audience expecting something smutty and so gets one back for the nuns [Smile]

© Ship of Fools 2016