Thread: When I grow up... Board: The Laugh Judgment / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=61;t=000013

Posted by Simon (# 1) on :

Joke submitted by Ian Climacus:

Sister Brigid was teaching her young students one day and she asked each of them what they would like to be when they grew up. She came to a little girl who responded, "When I grow up I want to be a prostitute."

Shocked, good Sister Brigid fainted on the spot. Her students rushed to revive her. When she came around, Sister asked the little girl, "What did you say you wanted to be when you grew up?"

The little girl replied, "A prostitute."

"Oh thank goodness," the relieved nun replied. "I thought you said a Protestant."

[ 07. July 2005, 00:04: Message edited by: Simon ]

Posted by Xavierite (# 2575) on :

[Killing me] every time...

Posted by Amorya (# 2652) on :

That's absolutely brilliant!

Posted by Back-to-Front (# 5638) on :

I have heard about four versions of that joke, but it's just as funny every time.

In the version that I have heard most often, it was the Monsignor who had been to the graduation ceremony at a Catholic girls' school, and afterwards he was speaking with each of the girls about their future plans.

Catherine told him that she was going to be the bride of Christ, and enter the convent, and he was filled with joy, then Maria said that she was going to go away and train to be a teacher, then whe would return to the school to teach young girls to be good Caholics, and he was filled with joy. Then he got to Bernadette, who said that she wanted to be a prostitute, and the joke follows from there.

Posted by Ariel (# 58) on :

[Roll Eyes] Heard this one before, it didn't do anything for me then either. [Snore]

[ 06. July 2005, 05:28: Message edited by: Ariel ]

Posted by Flausa (# 3466) on :

Maybe I would have found it funnier if I hadn't known who was telling the joke. Because of the teller, the joke was just predictable.

Posted by Cheesy* (# 3330) on :

No. Please don't tell me anyone thought that was funny.

C

Posted by Mr Clingford (# 7961) on :

That's a red rag to my bull(sh*t). I found it funny.

Posted by basso (# 4228) on :

[tangent]
A former girlfriend became Episcopalian while we were dating. She went home one time and told her Irish Catholic mother "I have something to tell you."

Her mother instantly said "You're pregnant".

"No Mom, I've become an Epsicopalian."

Her mother said "Why couldn't you be pregnant?"
[/tangent]

Posted by Sarkycow (# 1012) on :

Basso, why not send your joke in rather than posting it to the threads?

--------------------------------------

I like this joke. It's an amusing play on the separation between Catholic and Protestant (open and closed tables and all that).

Posted by molitva (# 7859) on :

I agree with Sarkycow. It pokes gentle fun by caricaturing the ordering of priorities among some religious.

More generally, it's fascinating reading this board to see the range of reactions to the jokes, and even the degrees of comprehension (some shipmates freely admit to not even "getting" them, never mind being offended).

Posted by The Coot (# 220) on :

I like it very much. Pokes fun at our sectarianism. It works because we know it is better for the girl to be a Protestant than a prostitute and- uh. Well... let's just say we do, even if we don't... and so the sectarianism is held up for mild ridicule.

When I first heard this joke (many years ago) it was very refreshing for me having come from the other side of the issue (ie. Catholic -ve, non-C. +ve).

[ 07. July 2005, 11:32: Message edited by: The Coot ]

Posted by Newman's Own (# 420) on :

I did find this one quite funny. It reminds me of what actually could have been said by some of the good Sisters (from Cork) who educated me.

Perhaps it has more humour for me because I am older than some other Ship mates. I can well remember when we prayed daily for the 'return of heretics to the throne of Peter,' and when association with Protesh-tants was thought to put the faith in danger and so forth. A prostitute could be saved (look at Magdalene, after all) - but one who became Protestant (or married one in the registry office) was condemned to eternal fire.

Your C of E apostate,

Posted by Long-Johns Silver (# 1763) on :

quote:
No. Please don't tell me anyone thought that was funny.
Ok Look away now.....

I thought it was Brilliant!!

Now you can look again....

[Snigger]

© Ship of Fools 2016