Thread: Brown and half-eaten Board: The Laugh Judgment / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=61;t=000020

Posted by Simon (# 1) on :

Joke submitted by Tigger:

What's brown and half-eaten?

Pope John Pauls' Easter Egg.

[ 07. July 2005, 00:01: Message edited by: Simon ]

Posted by Kelly Alves (# 2522) on :

Owwww! Owww!

I gave it five and five. Is that wierd?

Posted by Ariel (# 58) on :

A variation on "what's brown and sticky" (answer: "a stick") which IIRC was voted the nation's favourite joke in a recent contest. I didn't find this offensive or funny.

[ 06. July 2005, 05:33: Message edited by: Ariel ]

Posted by Back-to-Front (# 5638) on :

It's one of those jokes that I hear, and I find absolutely hilarious, not necessarily because of the joke itself, but because of the shamelessness in the facet that it's being told so soon after a major event, then I end up thinking to myself, "Should I really be laughing at this?" Then I continue laughing anyway.

I don't know where tigger comes from, but this is a very British tradition. We did the same with Jill Dando, Princess Diana, Mother Teresa and the tsunami. Within a week of the events, there were jokes like this flying around like nobody's business.

I'll never forget Angus Deayton's Michael Jackson joke, but shan't post it as it isn't religious.

Posted by Ariel (# 58) on :

It just seemed more like an observation to me than a quip.

Posted by Glimmer (# 4540) on :

Is it a solely British tradition? I suppose it might be, the Brits have brought the art of self-deprecation to a such a high pitch that utter tastelessness about others can work. I was a youngster at the time of Aberfan and Biafra - the appallingly tastless jokes were running around the playground within days.

Posted by Mark M (# 9500) on :

I must admit I don't get it at all. So it scores 1, and 3 because I think it might be offensive(?).

Posted by Left at the Altar (# 5077) on :

I think we need to be more specific here and at least nominate which JP we are talking about. I assume it's II, but I suppose it could just as easily by JPI (I heard his soup was poisoned, but it would be really really sneaky of those Cardinals to poison his gift from the Easter Bunny).

And having to put in that much analysis detracts from the punchline.

Posted by EpiscoWhat (# 9660) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Mark M:
I must admit I don't get it at all. So it scores 1, and 3 because I think it might be offensive(?).

Glad i'm not the only one that doesn't get it.

T

Posted by Marvin the Martian (# 4360) on :

quote:
Originally posted by EpiscoWhat:
Glad i'm not the only one that doesn't get it.

He died. Close to Easter. So his egg would still be half-eaten...

[Roll Eyes]

Posted by angelica37 (# 8478) on :

just not funny [Snore]

Posted by jlg (# 98) on :

I didn't get it either.

Posted by LupinPooter (# 9690) on :

It did come out fairly soon after his death and these jokes generally are fairly poor- speed being more important than humour. At the time I didn't find it funny so much as naughty; disaster/death jokes generally have this effect on me. Now it doesn't seem so amusing as most people have forgotten that it happened so close to Easter, as this thread illustrates. A joke with a short sell-by date.

Posted by chive (# 208) on :

It made me laugh. The best so far.

Posted by Callan (# 525) on :

It made me chuckle but it would have been funnier and more offensive if I'd heard it the day after JPII passed on.

Posted by Tree Bee (# 4033) on :

Made me frown.
Not even a grin.

Posted by Sarkycow (# 1012) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Back-to-Front:
I'll never forget Angus Deayton's Michael Jackson joke, but shan't post it as it isn't religious.

Ooooh, sounds good. Can you PM it to me please?

Sarkycow

Posted by The Coot (# 220) on :

Ah yer, whatever. I didn't find it offensive because it was too weak to be a vehicle of disrespect.

Posted by dj_ordinaire (# 4643) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Sarkycow:
quote:
Originally posted by Back-to-Front:

Ooooh, sounds good. Can you PM it to me please?

Sarkycow

Please can I echo that?

The joke in the OP was IMO the funniest yet... I think that's more because I like short snappy "boom boom" jokes rather than long convoluted ones, where the punchline never seems worth the effort...

Posted by Master Tubby Bear (# 9739) on :

I laughed out loud and Tessie Bear liked it so much she gave the chickens some extra food.

Posted by da_musicman (# 1018) on :

The original time I heard this the person with the remaining chocolate was Jesus. Does that change any ones perceptions of the joke?

Posted by Zeke (# 3271) on :

Having it be Jesus doesn't work as well, I don't think, because he came back and presumably could have had the rest if he wanted it. Plus you have the silliness of there being Easter Eggs on the first Easter, though perhaps since it was a pagan festival originally it is funny that someone would have given one to Jesus.

But the idea of the Pope of Rome getting a gift from the Easter Bunny makes me laugh.

Posted by GloriaGloriaGloria (# 8017) on :

I confess, I didn't 'get' this one at first, and I think it's because in my experience, Easter candy is chocolate easter bunnies, not eggs.

I probably would've gotten it more quickly if it had been a bunny.

Posted by Ophthalmos (# 3256) on :

It doesn't say anything profound or titillating. All it says is "oh yes, did you notice the Pope is dead? Let's try and think of a joke to make a point of that!"

These are the jokes I despise the most. Not funny and not remotely offensive.

© Ship of Fools 2016