Thread: Is it worth my money or my time? Board: The Da Vinci Code / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=66;t=000036

Posted by Mishkle (# 11381) on :

Ok, well Money is not an issue anymore as I realised I have a copy of the book. But should I really dedicate an entire weekend to this book? Am I going to be disappointed or be spiritually disconnected through reading this book?

I am sorry if this thread has been up already. I had a quick browse but I may well of missed a thread on it.

I have heard many people are disappointed by the ending of it, and that it is not as good as it is hyped. My next weekend is now in the hands of the Ship of Fools.

Don't condem me either way please [Biased]

Posted by Rossweisse (# 2349) on :

The book is badly written, but it is a page turner. It shouldn't cost you your whole weekend, either.

The movie is an expensive, boring time-waster. It will only feel as though it's cost you your whole weekend.

Posted by -lucy- (# 10465) on :

I say go for the film.

Posted by Auntie Doris (# 9433) on :

I went to see the film a couple of days ago. It was ok, a bit clunky in places and not one that I would watch again, but I did enjoy it at the time. The book is much better (although as everyone says it is poorly written etc etc) so I would go for the book.

Auntie Doris x

Posted by Honest John (# 11457) on :

I say definately see the film (and damn the critics!). For me, the film was very faithful to the book, well cast and nicely shot. It was a pity in places that some parts were very condensed but I guess this is inevitalbe when you make a film of a 650 page, highly detailed book.

Posted by Gextvedde (# 11084) on :

Both the film and the book are worth it if you want to engage with people about the DVC. After all, if one makes a critique and then gets asked ‘have you seen/read it’? and the answer is no, you could rightly be in for criticism. If you want to see/read it for purely entertainment reasons, I would suggest spending your money on something else because neither the book or the film are anything special.

Posted by Yerevan (# 10383) on :

Probably not.....

Will supply you with a short plot synopsis instead: 1) Jesus was a regular guy and not the Son of God 2) Everytime anyone hits on this they're immediately murdered by an 8ft mad Albino monk 3) Unless of course they happen to be called "Dan Brown", in which case they're immediately granted immunity from mad monk molestation and left to make fat wads of cash.

I did read DVC, but knew it it was going to annoy me from page one on (Dan, there ain't no such thing as "symbology"...ggggrrr)

Posted by J Whitgift (# 1981) on :

I'd say both the Book and Film are a waste of time. However, if (like me) you want to find out what the hype is about, then it may be worth reading them.

If I had to choose between the film and the book I'd choose the book. It's cheaper (depending on where you buy it), it has a marginally better story line, you can put it down when you want (unlike the film which is flabby/bloated and which you have to stay the course with).

If you do go for the book, then don't be conned into buying all Dan Brown's books. They're badly written, flabby and a complete waste of good reading time IMHO (though Angels and Demons is the best of the other three books he's published, and serves as a prequel to Da Vinci).

Posted by Sister Mary Precious (# 8755) on :

As you already own the book, why not start it. You will soon know if you think it is worth your while. I read it. Did not think it was great, but an ok relaxing read on a rainy week-end. In any event I now know what everyone is talking about. Such as the Christian friend who is praying for my soul now that he heard I went and saw the movie as well. Did you know that Ron Howard was the anti-Christ? I enjoyed the movie. I thought it was a fun thriller. Again not great. Would I see it again no. Did I enjoy seeing it. Yes it was fun evening with friends and the popcorn was good.

Posted by J Whitgift (# 1981) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Sister Mary Precious:

As you already own the book, why not start it. You will soon know if you think it is worth your while. I read it. <snip> Such as the Christian friend who is praying for my soul now that he heard I went and saw the movie as well.

Good advice from Sister Mary Precious.

This bit made me laugh though...

quote:
Sister Mary Precious wrote:

...the Christian friend who is praying for my soul now that he heard I went and saw the movie as well.

Where does that leave me then? I've not just read Da Vinci Code, but seen the film (and on a Sunday to!!), read a number of other books in the sub-genrem, and to top it all off, read The Holy Blood and the Holy Grail (amongst other things!) [Eek!] [Disappointed] .

A one way posting to Hell by the sounds of it.

To be honest, one hopes that God has more important things to worry about than what we've been watching at the flicks, or have on our book shelves, which reminds me, the remake of The Omen comes out soon (or so I have been told [Snigger] ...6 June 2006*).

*Let him who has ears let him work it out for himself...

Posted by butler (# 11157) on :

Onn a side thought saw the shorts for the omen last night WOW.

Posted by Lamb Chopped (# 5528) on :

Don't read the thing unless you have a high tolerance for fools. I'm pretty much through it now and keep taking a damn red pen to it--Brown couldn't even keep Kings Saul and Solomon straight--thinks the Vatican was around from day one--I just want to smack him.

And NOT because of the "Jesus was married" thing. Because he was so damn lazy and didn't do crap in the way of research. Harlequin romances are far better done.

Posted by Mishkle (# 11381) on :

Well I just got dragged along to the movie...

Meh, it was pretty average. Glad I didn't have to pay. I must say it is a rather far fetched story.

Posted by Ophthalmos (# 3256) on :

quote:
Originally posted by -lucy-:
I say go for the film.

I say don't. Especially if you have to pay an extortionate fee.

Posted by A Feminine Force (# 7812) on :

Borrow the book, it won't take long to read.

Borrow the DVD when it's released.

All you've invested then is your time (whatever value you attach to that).

FF

© Ship of Fools 2016