Thread: Why so many? Board: The Da Vinci Code / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=66;t=000044

Posted by Dormouse (# 5954) on :

I'm not sure if this is the right place for this - but as DVC is part of my question, I thought I'd post it here, & it could be moved if Hosts prefer.

I have recently read three books which are based around the Grail/Templars etc. - "DVC", "Labyrinth" by Kate Mosse, & "The Last Templar" by someone else (The book is downstairs & I'm too lazy to go and get it!) They are all best sellers, and I was wondering why it seems that at this particular moment the public seem to have fixated on this idea...

Is it just the Fixation of the Year, and reading fashions will move on, to Faddy Diets, or Dinosaurs, or something, or is it indicative of a Deep Malaise in society, a searching for something? Or a chance to Get At the church?

Any thoughts?

Posted by Barnabas62 (# 9110) on :

Cashing in? A sort of market has been created. I agree it's a bit hard to work out why. Maybe its a sort of Harry Potter spin off? Interest in magic, interest in things secret and hidden. Pomo influences? You know, my truth is as good as anybody elses. Lots of options I guess. The bandwagon will move on in due course.

Posted by dinghy sailor (# 8507) on :

Well, currently George Bush et al are making it very easy, fashionable and gratifying to hold a grudge against Christians, so books like these give people opportunities to stroke those grudges, telling themselves that they were right all along, the Christian faith is based on lies and coverups, and they're oh so much cleverer then those idiotic evangelical neocons. While doing this, people have discovered the joys of conspiracy theories; getting insider knowledge without putting in any effort.

© Ship of Fools 2016