Thread: 3182: Holy Trinity Broadstairs Board: Ecclesiantics / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=6;t=008515

Posted by verity (# 18571) on :

We went back to HT Broadstairs this week.
I'm pleased to say that they seem to have implemented remedies to a couple of my criticisms.
Firstly, the abandoned table has become a welcoming table with a person stationed at it throughout the service (inside the main doors so they aren't stuck in the porch the whole service)
And secondly (which probably should be firstly), their website now clearly states that the council carpark is expensive and that free on-street parking is available nearby!
Yippee! Mystery Worshipper works!
I feel like I have so much power [Big Grin]
I won't let it go to my head though.
I just wanted to point it out to say that I was imoressed that they really do mean it when they say they want to be inclusive.

Posted by dj_ordinaire (# 4643) on :

A link to the report is here...

Posted by Doone (# 18470) on :

Very cheering, verity - sounds like a wonderful church family!

Posted by Bishops Finger (# 5430) on :

Yes, thanks for the update, verity. It's good to hear of a lively and welcoming Anglo-Catholic church, given the widespread belief that a sad state of inevitable decline is the norm for the C of E...

A congregation of well over 100 is not too bad, given the size of the parish (population about 6200). The parish is about average in terms of urban deprivation - not too badly off, but not particularly affluent, either.

IJ

Posted by verity (# 18571) on :

And it wasn't all seasonal either - there didn't seem to be a lot of visitors. And even though it was the summer holiday, there were families with young children.

I'm increasingly of the opinion that churches need to offer more than just the Sunday service to thrive - that extra "community" is what makes a church.

Posted by Ecclesiastical Flip-flop (# 10745) on :

I was in Broadstairs last year and got to the Church, but alas for me, it was locked. Thus, I appreciate reading this report which makes good reading.

© Ship of Fools 2016