Thread: Pulpit Canopy Board: Ecclesiantics / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=6;t=008523

Posted by Angel Wrestler (# 13673) on :

Today I had occasion to attend a Presbyterian church and over the pulpit, there was one of those canopies overhead. I was a bit surprised to see this in a Presbyterian church, as I've only seen them in Episcopalian churches, but my curiosity was piqued. What is the significance of the canopy over the pulpit? It's always, at least for visual purposes, to be securely suspended by a type of metal or chain cord. (to this low-on-the-candle Methodist, I can't help myself from jokingly thinking that its purpose is to clomp down on a preacher when they go on too long!) But what is the significance of that canopy that, in my defense, really does look like if someone cut the cord, the top would encapsulate the speaker - the canopies even match the dimensions of the pulpit.

Posted by Pigwidgeon (# 10192) on :

Was it one of these?

Yes.

quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
Was it one of these?

A sounding board? Well, that's boring. But at least there's the answer - and an insight into the use of the term, "sounding board."

Posted by John3000 (# 18786) on :

That's my new thing learned for today [Smile]

Posted by Basilica (# 16965) on :

On the subject of pulpit furniture (and I had never heard of the sounding board either -- thanks!) what is the significance/meaning/origin of the crucifix that is above most pulpits in catholic churches?

Posted by L'organist (# 17338) on :

I think you'll find a cross or crucifix above the pulpit in most CofE churches too.

Posted by Bishops Finger (# 5430) on :

In many, certainly - and serving as a reminder of Him in whose Name the preacher is speaking, I guess.

IJ

Posted by Basilica (# 16965) on :

quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
I think you'll find a cross or crucifix above the pulpit in most CofE churches too.

Indeed -- I think I was asking a lower-case C to bear more weight than could reasonably be expected.

Posted by Enoch (# 14322) on :

I've never thought of it before. After all, churches usually contain crosses. But I suspect it might be a visual representation that "we preach Christ crucified" 1 Cor 1:23.

Back to the OP - I guess the reason for this piece of woodwork is to indeed act as a 'sounding board', and to bounce the preacher's words back to the assembled faithful.

At Our Place, we have a 'tester' over the altar in our Lady Chapel, rather like this one from Downside Abbey.

The effect of this is to throw the voice of the eastward-facing priest at the altar back towards the congregation.

When we daringly put the Lady Chapel altar at Our Place back against the wall, resuming the eastward position, a devout old gentleman, Uncle Harold, told us how much better he could hear the words of the Eucharistic Prayer.

IOW, don't interfere with what Sir Ninian Comper, Our Lord, and His Blessed Mother, intended...

IJ

Sounding boards are certainly prettier than clip-on microphones or -- even worse -- the head-phone type as worn by order takers at McDonalds.

Posted by Stercus Tauri (# 16668) on :

Another explanation I have heard is that it began when churches often had no glass in the windows, and the canopy lessened the risk of birds crapping on the preacher's head (also the reason for the big hats they used to wear).

Posted by Nick Tamen (# 15164) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Basilica:
quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:

Indeed -- I think I was asking a lower-case C to bear more weight than could reasonably be expected.
Interesting. Maybe I just haven’t been in the right places, but I’ve only very rarely seen a cross or crucifix over the pulpit/ambo in a Catholic church in the U.S., and I don't think I’ve ever seen one in an Episcopal church. A pond difference, maybe?

quote:
Sounding boards are certainly prettier than clip-on microphones or -- even worse -- the head-phone type as worn by order takers at McDonalds.

Not nearly as mobile, though.

Posted by Alex Cockell (# 7487) on :

quote:

Maybe prettier - but doesn;t interface quite as well with an inductive loop as does a loop amp on an aux send from the FOH sound desk...

Posted by Albertus (# 13356) on :

Have a rack of ear trumpets for congregational use, next to the hymn books,

Thomas Hardy wrote a bitter-sweet short story about a helpful young curate, and an elderly parishioner who didn't come to church, because she couldn't hear the sermon.

Here's a somewhat abridged version:

Old Mrs. Chundle

IJ

Posted by churchgeek (# 5557) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Nick Tamen:
Interesting. Maybe I just haven’t been in the right places, but I’ve only very rarely seen a cross or crucifix over the pulpit/ambo in a Catholic church in the U.S., and I don't think I’ve ever seen one in an Episcopal church. A pond difference, maybe?

Grace Cathedral in San Francisco has one.

As for the OP, my church, the Cathedral Church of St. Paul, Detroit, has one of these sounding boards over the pulpit, but it also has a purple velvet drape behind the preacher. You can kinda see it in this photo, which appears to have been taken from the choir/chancel (so you're getting a side view); and in this photo, way in the back (this is an outgoing procession).

I've always wondered about this. Is that drape very common? It seems like, if anything, it would absorb sound.

I've never seen such a drape in an English church, though, of course, that's not to say that they don't exist over here!

IJ

BTW, the cross behind the pulpit at Grace Cathedral can sort of be seen here: An Easter service when the Keiskamma Altarpiece was visiting and Alan Jones was still dean. Look on the RH side of the photo.

Oops - missed edit window... [Paranoid]

Here's a rather gorgeous Lutheran pulpit in Sweden:

Uppsala Cathedral

No drape, but a painting behind the preacher..

IJ

Oh, that is beautiful.

I've often assumed that the drape at my church - which may not have been original to the sounding board, I'll have to look at old photos - might be for visual effect. If it is sound-deadening or neutral, it doesn't really matter in the age of microphones. Our cathedral was built in 1908-1911.

churchgeek, I suspect it was for visual effect (but it seems to work).

If the architect intended to install a sounding-board, tester, baldaccino, or whatever, it was probably for a good purpose.

Those who faff about, and tinker with, 'original' architectural features do so at their own Peril. Far better to do a Richard Giles, and start from scratch....

Wot e did at Philly Cathedral

Marmite!

IJ

Posted by Angloid (# 159) on :

Richard Giles is a friend of our bishop, and was the consultant for a re-ordering scheme in a parish not far from me and where I occasionally worship. It is uncanny to see this video because it is almost exactly like the layout and liturgy of that church.

quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:
churchgeek, I suspect it was for visual effect (but it seems to work).

If the architect intended to install a sounding-board, tester, baldaccino, or whatever, it was probably for a good purpose.

Those who faff about, and tinker with, 'original' architectural features do so at their own Peril. Far better to do a Richard Giles, and start from scratch....

Wot e did at Philly Cathedral

Marmite!

IJ

Our cathedral was designed by Ralph Adams Cram. John Kirchmayer did the woodwork (reredos, pulpit, cathedra, dean's stall, etc.)

At Philadelphia (and at the church Angloid mentions, if it's the one I'm thinking of), Richard Giles pretty well took everything out, and started with a blank canvas.

This might not, of course, be at all appropriate in every church, especially one with particularly fine fittings and woodwork.

IJ

I've checked, and the drape was original. It's in one of the historic photos accompanying Cram's piece called "The Cathedral: A Sermon in Stone" which can be found here.

Anyone interested in church architecture (esp. in the US), and church fixtures (e.g., our beautiful Pewabic tile floor) might want to check that link out! (And then plan your visit to Detroit! [Big Grin] )

Posted by Gramps49 (# 16378) on :

Another reason for such a canopy is to protect the preacher from bird doo doo. Remember, many cathedrals were known to have birds in the sanctuaries. Also, one of the reasons the baptistries are covered when not in use.

quote:
Originally posted by Gramps49:
Another reason for such a canopy is to protect the preacher from bird doo doo. Remember, many cathedrals were known to have birds in the sanctuaries. Also, one of the reasons the baptistries are covered when not in use.

Bats as well, I imagine.

Yes, but the way to get rid of bats is simply to baptise them.

You'll never see them again...

IJ

quote:
Originally posted by Gramps49:

I blame Psalm 84:3.

© Ship of Fools 2016