Thread: O Sapientia Board: Ecclesiantics / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=6;t=008528

Posted by David Goode (# 9224) on :

A blessed O Sapientia-tide to all!

O Sapientia, quae ex ore Altissimi prodiisti,
attingens a fine usque ad finem,
fortiter suaviterque disponens omnia:
veni ad docendum nos viam prudentiae.

Posted by Angloid (# 159) on :

Oh, that annual argument about whether it's today or tomorrow!

Posted by Adeodatus (# 4992) on :

Whenever it starts (whispers *tomorrow*), I love these antiphons. A mystical Christology in a nutshell - one large nutshell or several small nutshells, I suppose. They always make me think I’d like to be a mystic when I grow up. And the emotional impact of the words paired with the traditional melodies is staggering.

Posted by David Goode (# 9224) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Angloid:
Oh, that annual argument about whether it's today or tomorrow!

The great thing about the English tradition is that you get an extra antiphon to enjoy: "More O for yer dough", as it were!

Posted by Gill H (# 68) on :

My childhood cat Sappy arrived on my birthday (today) and was named in honour of O Sapientia!

Posted by Aravis (# 13824) on :

There is a lovely setting by Robert Ramsay. The choir I sing in did two concerts of "O" antiphons this weekend - each section had the plainchant, followed by an early setting and then a modern setting (most of the modern ones were Arvo Part but there was also a stunning Macmillan).

Posted by The Scrumpmeister (# 5638) on :

I have some beautiful settings of these antiphons as used in the Orthodox neo-Gallican rite. They are a harmonisation of a quite lovely plainsong melody (not the melody to which these antiphons are usually sung - not that it isn't equally lovely).

They are in French but are easily adapted to English, although I haven't yet had the chance.

I'll see if I can make then accessible.

[ 17. December 2017, 13:24: Message edited by: The Scrumpmeister ]

Posted by georgiaboy (# 11294) on :

There is a stunning anthem titled 'The Prophecy' by Healey Willan, which incorporates all of the 'O' texts (adapted) and ending with a solo soprano above all the rest singing 'O Virgin of virgins'. IIRC it is the first movement of the cantata 'The Mystery of Bethlehem.' Not easy, but do-able by a good parish choir and a first-rate organist.

© Ship of Fools 2016