Thread: Cardinal Law's Funeral Board: Ecclesiantics / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=6;t=008530

Posted by BabyWombat (# 18552) on :

I’ve an odd question about the funeral for Cardinal Law, who died in Rome last night. According to the Whispers in the Loggia site, Cardinal Soldano, Dean of the College of Cardinals, will officiate, with Pope Francis coming only for the final commendation. That site says this is common practice. Does anyone know why? I would have thought that the Pope, as more-or-less bishop to the cardinals, would officiate throughout.

I am used to TEC practice, at least in the diocese I which serve, by which the deceased cleric’s superior officiates: a seated Rector for any Curate or Deacon, with the bishop stepping in only if there is not a seated Rector; and the Bishop for any deceased priest in active service.

Posted by Augustine the Aleut (# 1472) on :

As cardinals tend to be elderly men, popping off with regularity, this could keep him quite busy (I think 2 or 3 died in November alone), so there is apparently an annual mass where the Pope officiates-- further detail, the annual mass for defunct cardinals was held on November 3, and the 14 who had died since the last one were commemorated.

Posted by Bishops Finger (# 5430) on :

Hmm. I rather wondered if perhaps HH was only appearing at the commendation as a sign of recognition of Law's not exactly unblemished career...

IJ

Posted by Augustine the Aleut (# 1472) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:
Hmm. I rather wondered if perhaps HH was only appearing at the commendation as a sign of recognition of Law's not exactly unblemished career...

IJ

Even before the scandal, Cdl Law was never in the first class of cardinals, despite the money and power of the Boston church. John Allen, perhaps the most experienced anglophone vaticanisto, notes that the Vatican did not roll out the usual tributes on the press and other media which, in the kremlinology and entrails-studying of Vatican operations, suggests that Rome was very much aware of Cdl Law's reputation.

© Ship of Fools 2016