Thread: Oops... Service booklet errors Board: Ecclesiantics / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=6;t=008532

Posted by Ian Climacus (# 944) on :

Christmas, and Easter, are probably the times I most see these...no doubt as custom service books are often needed.

For instance, at tonight's Lessons and Carols at Newcastle Cathedral While Shepherds Watched had the angels more concerned for themselves than humanity:
quote:
"All glory be to God on high
and on earth be peace;
good will henceforth from heaven to me
begin and never cease."

Which have you seen? Not just typos, but those which can change the meaning of a passage.

Posted by Baptist Trainfan (# 15128) on :

Many years ago at the University Carol Service in Southampton, the baby Jesus was "all meanly wrapped in Swaythling bands" - Swaythling being a part of the city where many students live.

And of course "Angles" make repeated appearances: Saxons should beware!

[ 24. December 2017, 10:29: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe (# 5521) on :

I once attended a special service at a local breakaway Anglican church where the service concluded with a Te Deum. It was listed as "The Tedium" in the service leaflet.

Posted by Pangolin Guerre (# 18686) on :

Not a booklet error per se, but on the website for St James Cathedral for Nine Lessons, and for the Christmas Choral Eucharist, the banner-thingy at the top of the web page identifies them as the Funeral Liturgy. [Eek!]

Bah, humbug, indeed.

[ 24. December 2017, 11:42: Message edited by: Pangolin Guerre ]

Posted by Arethosemyfeet (# 17047) on :

I don't want to know about any errors - I rushed the booklets to the printers before they closed on Friday and I'm going to pretend they're perfect.

Posted by Bishops Finger (# 5430) on :

What are these service booklets of which you speak?

There are no Errors, Typographical or Doctrinal, in the Book of Common Prayer.

Harumph.

IJ (Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells)

And do you know of any church which follows EXACTLY a liturgy as printed in BCP without adding, subtracting or changing something? Very confusing for visitors!

(Same is true for use of CW, of course).

No.

[Razz]

IJ

Posted by Rosa Gallica officinalis (# 3886) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
And do you know of any church which follows EXACTLY a liturgy as printed in BCP without adding, subtracting or changing something? Very confusing for visitors!

(Same is true for use of CW, of course).

I've heard that doing BCP exactly as written is the quickest way to put off it's fans.
(I've not yet had the courage to tell them they're not meant to join in)

Posted by stonespring (# 15530) on :

I love that in many English-speaking RC parishes, they still have little leaflets to help the congregation with the words of the new translation, but so many priests go on improvising their own prayers in all sorts of places, much as they did with the old translation.

quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:
What are these service booklets of which you speak?

There are no Errors, Typographical or Doctrinal, in the Book of Common Prayer.

Harumph.

IJ (Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells)

If you can convince the Church of Scotland of the merits of the BCP you're a better man than me. Or, as they say: you go first, we'll see who gets a stool thrown at them.

Posted by Nick Tamen (# 15164) on :

The bulletin at our place last night had the words to "Silent Night" printed out as we'd be moving during the singing to get in place for the candles, so hymnals wouldn’t be practical. (After communion, we move into a large circle around the pews for the candles/last hymns—always “Silent Night" and “Joy to the World.”) Apparently, all was clam, all was bright.

Then there was the year in the church of my youth when the minister, presumably thinking of straw, recalled how they laid the baby Jesus in the slaw. The look on his wife’s face was priceless.

Posted by ArachnidinElmet (# 17346) on :

Our missalette for yesterday morning's mass proclaimed that Mary was the 'handmade' of the Lord.

Posted by georgiaboy (# 11294) on :

I never discovered if it was a typo or a statement of heresy, but a church i attended some years ago had this line in 'Adeste fideles'

'Word of the Father, now in faith appearing,' thereby implicitly denying the Incarnation.

And yes, my service booklet was full of typos, odd versions of carols that I'd missed when I copied and pasted and, worst of all, AMERICANISMS! [Two face]

Posted by RuthW (# 13) on :

One of the many reasons I almost never attend a service at the church where I work is that I really don't want to be sitting there on a Sunday morning and see a typo in the bulletin and feel every eye in the place on me!

I'm wondering, Arethosemyfeet: how on earth did you manage to get AMERICANISMS in your service booklet?!?

Posted by Pigwidgeon (# 10192) on :

quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
One of the many reasons I almost never attend a service at the church where I work is that I really don't want to be sitting there on a Sunday morning and see a typo in the bulletin and feel every eye in the place on me!

I did attend services at the church where I worked and had the same problem!
[Hot and Hormonal]

Posted by Zappa (# 8433) on :

quote:

I'm wondering, Arethosemyfeet: how on earth did you manage to get AMERICANISMS in your service booklet?!?

Apart from things like "color" I wonder if any managed the quote on one of my most loved tee-shirts, emblazoned on the front, "and also with y'all."

Fortunately at the pad that I attend these days the liturgy was in Māori, and while I have some Māori I'm sure as 'eck not up to finding errors.

Though even without advanced linguistic skills, I'd have to say that in any other context I would find singing this as a hymn to be somewhat errant. But singing it in Māori surrounded by people who have, in the past 18 months, given me a whole new lease of faith-life, meant that typos, theological glitches, and a myriad liturgico-theological dubiousities paled into insignificance, because love was there.

Not a service book typo but a Powerpoint one last week ... I got the chorus of "Ding dong merrily" muddled and changed "Hosanna in excelsis" into "In excelsis Deo" which doesn't quite scan [Hot and Hormonal] . We managed to get through OK after v.1!

It was pointed out to me (after the Crib Service) that the leaflet - which we have used for several successive Christmases - contains the classic While Shepherds Watched typo, to wit, the line 'Goodwill henceforth from heaven to me'.....

Now, I'd produced the leaflet, and I'd never noticed it, so presumably everyone who did was too afraid of my Wrath to mention it.... [Ultra confused]

The person who spotted it was our visiting organist, a lady whose first language is not English.

IJ

And who therefore has a better awareness of grammar and syntax than Native Speakers of the language.

There were a number of "Savior"s. [Frown]

BT said:
quote:
And who therefore has a better awareness of grammar and syntax than Native Speakers of the language.
Hey! I resemble that remark!

[Razz]

IJ

Posted by Og, King of Bashan (# 9562) on :

One silly, one kind of amazing...

This summer, we had an update from the Episcopal Public Policy Network. Unfortunately, an "l" was left out in a way that spellcheck would not catch, and thus we had an update from the Episcopal Pubic Policy Network. (My brain is not wired to catch that kind of thing, so I can't claim credit for spotting it.)

Now the amazing one. When we got married, the Queen of Bashan and I thought, for various reasons both biological and personal, that kids were not in the cards. So we asked the church to leave out the optional prayer to bless the couple with children. It slipped in anyway, which was a bit embarrassing for everyone there, who were all in the know about our future plans, but it wasn't a big deal. Three years later, we were in front of the congregation for a blessing of our adopted child. So be careful what you pray for.

Posted by Offeiriad (# 14031) on :

At a diocesan 'bash' a few years ago we found ourselves singing: 'will you kiss the leopard clean if you but call my name?' It sounded even more risky than the original...

Posted by Cathscats (# 17827) on :

It's not just service sheets. There is a plaque in one of my churches with a lovely typo, or engraving error, I suppose. The gentleman commemorated fought in the Peninsular wars of the early 19th century, but in the word "Peninsular" the engraver missed out the second n. [Big Grin]

Posted by Leorning Cniht (# 17564) on :

The highly organized and accurate lady who prepared the service sheets at our shack has recently retired. Her replacement isn't yet quite up to the same standard. We were recently offered instructions for those who wished to receive communion by intuition.

Posted by Josquin (# 8834) on :

The worst one I ever heard of - and in a manner laid.

Posted by Kaplan Corday (# 16119) on :

I have seen crucifixion written as crucifiction in a home-published hymnbook.

I don't think it represented a latter-day resurgence of Docetism.

Posted by Pine Marten (# 11068) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Josquin:
The worst one I ever heard of - and in a manner laid.

In our old carols booklet (littered with typos) Jesus was often laid in a manager - which caused some regular hilarity. Fortunately the whole thing has been updated and rewritten, with some new carols added. I produced it, and was careful to get rid of every typo I could find...there remains one mistake (not a typo) but I haven't told anyone what it is, and nobody's complained yet...

quote:
Originally posted by Pine Marten:
In our old carols booklet (littered with typos) Jesus was often laid in a manager - which caused some regular hilarity. Fortunately the whole thing has been updated and rewritten, with some new carols added. I produced it, and was careful to get rid of every typo I could find...there remains one mistake (not a typo) but I haven't told anyone what it is, and nobody's complained yet...

Oh, please tell us -- we won't breathe a word to anyone else.

[Biased]

Posted by Pine Marten (# 11068) on :

[Ultra confused] [Biased] [Cool]

Posted by Zappa (# 8433) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Kaplan Corday:
I have seen crucifixion written as crucifiction in a home-published hymnbook.

I don't think it represented a latter-day resurgence of Docetism.

Funnily enough, although until Bill Gates came along I was an outstanding (and outstandingly modest [Roll Eyes] ) speller, it was one word I often got wrong. I didn't move in religious circles pre-adulthood so it rarely came up.

If only someone had pointed out to me that "fiction" etymologises (yeah, okay, my neologism and why not ... it's a free world) from fingere (to form, mold, shape, devise, feign) and beyond that fictio, whereas "crucifixion" derives from the verb "crucifigere" ... which derives from figo which is more closely related to fix (as in nail, glue etc)

Now if only I'd known that when I was doing my English lessons aged ten ... my school master hated me enough as it was (I was useless at cricket) but still ...

Posted by Robert Armin (# 182) on :

One of the carols we sang over Christmas was "Once in Royal Davis's city". Most people never noticed at all.

Posted by Al Eluia (# 864) on :

We once had the following printed in our bulletin as our offertory hymn:

All people that on earth do swell,
Sing to the Lord with cheerful voice...

Which suggests either 1) those who are doing swell or 2) those who are swelling.

Posted by Jengie jon (# 273) on :

I once sang rather loudly the verse of "All things Bright and Beautiful" that is the subject of this Telegraph article. The reason being that while I did not endorse that line, what was actually printed was worse as "grave" had been substituted for "gate".

Jengie

Posted by ST (# 14600) on :

Many years ago, I was at a pilgrimage Mass where the Mass Setting was to the tune of "Holy, holy, holy, holy, holy, holy, Lord God almighty".

Sadly, one line had us snickering a bit: "And we lift our hards before you as a token of our love. Holy, holy, holy, holy."

Posted by Salicional (# 16461) on :

Not a bulletin misprint per se, but one time I sent out a bunch of publicity alerting people to our upcoming "Service of Lessons and Carlos". Carlos never showed up, but it was a fine service just the same.

Posted by Lothlorien (# 4927) on :

Many years down the track, I still remember the wedding service where everyone sang FIGHT THE GOOD FIGHT WITH ALL THY MIGHT. Why anyone would choose such a song at a wedding remains a mystery, but this error by the printer caused much mirth. Every time those words occurred, they were in upper case.

Posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider (# 76) on :

Error by the printer my codlings...

Posted by L'organist (# 17338) on :

A few years ago I played for a wedding with a wonderful typo. Most of the guests having been to the sort of school that had compulsory chapel they sang the hymns lustily as printed in the order of service, including Immoral, invisible, God only wise [Killing me]

Posted by la vie en rouge (# 10688) on :

A legendary (Powerpoint) typo in my church years ago resulted in the whole congregation being exhorted to sing praises to the Sod of God. [Snigger]

Not a typo but ... We sang the hymn "Thou didst leave thy throne" on Sunday, in its original version which includes the line "Thy couch was the sod, O Thou Son of God". No-one giggled, which is unusual!

Modern hymnbooks often recast this line.

Posted by Aravis (# 13824) on :

Many years ago we had a typed carol sheet including
"Sing, choirs of angels,
Sin in exultation"

Posted by The Man with a Stick (# 12664) on :

The scariest one I ever saw was:

"Holy Mary, mother of God, pray for us sinners now at the hour of our death. Amen"

Posted by Stejjie (# 13941) on :

quote:
Originally posted by The Man with a Stick:
The scariest one I ever saw was:

"Holy Mary, mother of God, pray for us sinners now at the hour of our death. Amen"

Is that what you call a zero-tolerance approach to sin? [Eek!]

Posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe (# 5521) on :

quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
they sang the hymns lustily as printed in the order of service, including Immoral, invisible, God only wise

The typist may have been thinking of this.

Posted by churchgeek (# 5557) on :

quote:

I have a coworker who (un)helpfully points them all out to me the next work day. But at least I avoid the stares in church!

At my church, a couple of years ago, a rubric in the bulletin invited the congregation to "All sin heartily."

...I mean, we're in full communion now with the ELCA, but we're not going to just quote Luther directly!

Posted by Lyonesse (# 2567) on :

My favourite error dates from a theological college around the turn of the millennium, where the Collect for Purity was rendered thus:

Almighty God, to whom all hearts are open, all desires known, and from whom all secrets are hidden . . .

Posted by k-mann (# 8490) on :

Though this was not a typo, I once sang something completely wrong that completely changed a hymn. The hymn is called "Ren og rettferdig" ("pure and justified") and is a standard Norwegian revival type hymn, written in 1895. See more here, unfortunately in Norwegian: http://salmebloggen.no/2016/09/17/ren-og-rettferdig/

One of the lines says, "Å, jeg er frelst og salig fordi SØNNEN har gjort meg virkelig fri," which translated roughly as "Oh, I am saved and blessed because THE SON has really set me free."

But I sang, "Å, jeg er frelst og salig fordi SYNDEN har gjort meg virkelig fri," which translated roughly as "Oh, I am saved and blessed because THE SIN has really set me free." Yeah………

Posted by Mudfrog (# 8116) on :

I do all my own PowerPoint slides and sometimes there are bloopers.

One memorable one was in the lovely song, Jesus what a beautiful name...

Only, it now read, Jesus, what a beautiful dame.

If that wasn't bad enough, a wag in the band called out, 'She's behind you!'

quote:
Originally posted by k-mann:
Though this was not a typo, I once sang something completely wrong that completely changed a hymn. The hymn is called "Ren og rettferdig" ("pure and justified") and is a standard Norwegian revival type hymn, written in 1895. See more here, unfortunately in Norwegian: http://salmebloggen.no/2016/09/17/ren-og-rettferdig/

One of the lines says, "Å, jeg er frelst og salig fordi SØNNEN har gjort meg virkelig fri," which translated roughly as "Oh, I am saved and blessed because THE SON has really set me free."

But I sang, "Å, jeg er frelst og salig fordi SYNDEN har gjort meg virkelig fri," which translated roughly as "Oh, I am saved and blessed because THE SIN has really set me free." Yeah………

A mistake that could just have easily been made in English.

Posted by Anselmina (# 3032) on :

Really enjoying this thread!

Some of you regulars will maybe remember me posting this before, but it's always been a favourite typo of mine, and of mine own doing!

I used to do the funeral sheets in a past parish, and would cut/paste and replace the names of the deceased throughout the liturgy, automatically. So if we had finished with Mary Smith's funeral and now wanted to go on to the next, all I had to do was ask the computer to remove Mary's name and replace it with the next decedent's name.

Hence the unfortunate occasion during the creed when we all solemnly affirmed that Jesus was 'born of the Virgin Albert'.

Is Outrage!

[Eek!]

And even Worse Outrage than being born of the Virgin Edith, say...

[Killing me]

IJ

Posted by BroJames (# 9636) on :

I do a similar thing with my own copy of the order of service for weddings so that the names of the couples are printed in front of me, and I do not make a mistake.

I was, however, taken aback at one wedding to find myself being invited to read that (e.g.) "they shall be united in that love as Robertt is united with his bride, the Church." and in the Collect to be invited to pray the words "We ask this through our Lord Jesus Robertt your Son…" The previous groom had been called Chris. Luckily it is a sheet for me only!

© Ship of Fools 2016