Thread: new vicar- changes Board: Ecclesiantics / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=6;t=008542

Posted by Puzzler (# 18908) on :

Greetings! and newbie alert.

Recently a new vicar has been appointed to our church ( C of E ). He was quick to tell both the PCC and the ( paid ) Director of Music that he could do whatever he wanted in services as long as it is in accordance with canon law. Fairly drastic changes rapidly followed.

Aside from the point that this is not very courteous, can anybody tell me if he is actually correct?

Posted by BroJames (# 9636) on :

The new vicar has a degree of freedom, but there are also limits which are set out in the Canons of the Church of England. Section B pertains to worship, and make it clear that in some things the PCC also has a say. One omission appears to be in relation to the time of services.

Posted by Higgs Bosun (# 16582) on :

quote:
Originally posted by BroJames:
The new vicar has a degree of freedom, but there are also limits which are set out in the Canons of the Church of England. Section B pertains to worship, and make it clear that in some things the PCC also has a say. One omission appears to be in relation to the time of services.

Thank you for quoting that. Canon B.3.1 states:
quote:

Decisions as to which of the forms of service authorized by Canon B 1, other than the services known as occasional offices, are to be used in any church in a parish or in any guild church shall be taken jointly by the minister and the parochial church council or, as the case may be, by the vicar of the guild church and the guild church council. In this Canon 'church' includes any building or part of a building licensed by the bishop for public worship according to the rites and ceremonies of the Church of England.

So, it would seem that the vicar is not entirely correct...

Posted by ExclamationMark (# 14715) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Puzzler:
Greetings! and newbie alert.

Recently a new vicar has been appointed to our church ( C of E ). He was quick to tell both the PCC and the ( paid ) Director of Music that he could do whatever he wanted in services as long as it is in accordance with canon law. Fairly drastic changes rapidly followed.

Aside from the point that this is not very courteous, can anybody tell me if he is actually correct?

A couple of background questions

1. Was he interviewed for the appointment?
2. If so, what was said then about worship?

Posted by Bishops Finger (# 5430) on :

That's a fair point.

The Parish Profile, or advert for the job, should not only describe the current services, but also indicate whether the congregation is willing to consider changes (e.g. the introduction of less formal worship, different times to fit in with another church etc.).

IOW, there should be ample opportunity for both prospective incumbent and PCC to discuss their respective views on this important issue.

IJ

Posted by Caissa (# 16710) on :

I suppose parishioners can always vote with their feet.

Alas, that's what often happens in such cases...

[Disappointed]

IJ

Posted by Baptist Trainfan (# 15128) on :

What BF said upthread (not about voting with their feet).

It seems both sad and silly for any incoming clergyperson to radically alter worship right at the start of their ministry in a church, unless they've been explicitly invited to.

1. It just seems high-handed, especially if he appears to be changing things on a whim, without prper explanation. While leadership isn't about trying to satisfy everyone, nor is it simply saying, "We're going to do things my way". If new Vicar wants to "take people along with him", this isn't the way to do it. After all, it's their church (and, of course, Christ's!), not his.

2. Has said Vicar done any research into the community in which the church is set? Does he know if, or if not, the present format of worship is culturally relevant? Can he be sure that the new format will be more "attractive"? Has he asked any questions at all or is he simply of the opinion that the old way is bad and his way is better?

Of course there is a reverse to this coin: churches can be stick-in-the-mud and may need someone to press through much-needed changes!

[ 26. January 2018, 14:10: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Posted by Gamaliel (# 812) on :

If a vicar around here said they wanted to do things in accordance with canon law, I would welcome them with open arms ...

[Biased] [Razz]

More seriously, yes, we've got an instance locally of a vicar who has tried to move things in a different direction to what the congregation were used to - in this particular instance by ramping things up in terms of adherence to the rubrics - and they've lost a heck of a lot of people and are now themselves falling on their own sword ...

Many thanks for replies so far.

In the advert/ profile we stated we are Eucharistic-based, central churchmanship (though to be more accurate there are some of higher and some of lower persuasion.)
We asked for someone who would respect and welcome the choral traditions, yet also have the skills to transform patterns of worship for future needs.
We expressed an openness to varied forms of worship.

On the PCC we know we need to change in order to grow and to reach younger families.

So the new incumbent, in less than two months, has dismissed the RSCM choir from two of the morning main services which are also to become non Eucharistic. ( one was occasionally, it included canticles and psalms)
The 10.00 am services will now be shortened to about 40 mins, with no musical input other than traditional hymns, to be more accessible to families ( who don’t come at 10.00 am anyway).

Needless to say the choir and DoM are not happy.
And that is just for starters.

The PCC has agreed the new pattern of services, subject to a review in due course. But actually other changes, not listed above, are in a way far more striking than those lmentioned.

I suspect we have shot ourselves in the foot by agreeing to the new pattern of services.

So much for making changes sensitively and collaboratively.

And yes, he was interviewed, but the interregnum was already extremely lengthy.

He has not disclosed any other plans to gather new families.

quote:
Many thanks for replies so far.

In the advert/ profile we stated we are Eucharistic-based, central churchmanship (though to be more accurate there are some of higher and some of lower persuasion.)
We asked for someone who would respect and welcome the choral traditions, yet also have the skills to transform patterns of worship for future needs.
We expressed an openness to varied forms of worship.

The profile has invited (to my way of thinking) the state of affairs you find yourself in. You've mentioned respecting what's currently happening yet opened the door wide to change - in those circumstances it's easier for a leader to look ahead rather than behind and, in the process, overlook what's currently engaging.

An openness to varied forms of worship doesn't sit easily with a fixed tradition but you seem to be singularly unfortunate in your choice of Vicar who, on the evidence we have here (which may or may no reflect reality by any factor lesser or greater than 100%), lacks team building and change management skills. By agreeing to the changes I'm afraid the PCC have given tacit approval to their continuance.

By the way, left to their own devices how would the current Director and musicians have sourced and implemented the changes you advertised as being needed?

quote:
And yes, he was interviewed, but the interregnum was already extremely lengthy.

It was probably lengthy for a reason. It generally is IME whatever the denomination.

This is the kind of stuff that is standard interview fare in any job or vocation that demands leading others in change. Oh dear ... not an easy solution and perhaps a tough time to come. Think though how he must feel - he's not what you want and perhaps the church s being revealed as somewhere where he'd prefer not to be

Some people are happy with the changes. Most of us are reserving judgement.
Yes, there are very specific reasons for the long interregnum, which I prefer not to divulge, to avoid identification.
I personally feel that he shows a lack of respect for our traditions by dictating what must go. A stronger word, used by some, is contempt.

I don’t think the choir have any answers to how things should change. Certainly not a proliferation of worship songs.

The point that concerns me is that at the moment there is no immediate prospect of new people coming in who will appreciate the shorter, dumbed down services, yet quite a few core people who feel they are being ignored, who may well decide to leave.
It is the core congregation who give financially.

Posted by Gee D (# 13815) on :

Buy your new rector copies of Bob Jackson's books - and get the bishop to present them with strong advice to read and follow them. A prime lesson from Jackson is that you don't upset your existing congregations by changing the regular pattern of services, but that you have new services at different times for the new congregations you're hoping to attract.

Not being in church leadership, involved with PCCs or anything of that kind, it strikes me as an odd thing for the new incumbent to do by shortening existing services in the hope that this will somehow attract a demographic who currently don't attend.

I could understand it if there was feedback to suggest that the length of the 10am services was putting young families off or young families were starting to attend and they felt the need to adjust.

But to make those changes and then expect people to suddenly start coming who haven't done so before seems quite naive to me.

Posted by Oscar the Grouch (# 1916) on :

Quite apart from the rights and wrongs of different styles of worship, it sounds to me like the vicar has violated one of the most basic rules of a new ministry:

unless there is a pressing reason, do NOT make any changes to patterns or styles of services for the first 12 months

A new Vicar's job is not to ride roughshod over the parish, but to pay attention to where the church community and the wider community is and then discern how to guide the church forwards.

Far too often, though, new Vicars act all macho. And it usually ends up a mess.

Let me make some highly prejudiced guesses about the new vicar:
a) He is evangelical - far more so than previous vicars.
b) He is in his 30s or possibly 40s.
c) He spoke earnestly at the interview about how he wanted to work WITH the church and move forward together.
d) This is his first incumbency after a curacy or he has just come from being a team vicar.

Sorry for being so cynical, but I've seen this kind of scenario too many times before.

Posted by Augustine the Aleut (# 1472) on :

Exclamation Mark posts:
quote:
An openness to varied forms of worship doesn't sit easily with a fixed tradition but you seem to be singularly unfortunate in your choice of Vicar who, on the evidence we have here (which may or may no reflect reality by any factor lesser or greater than 100%), lacks team building and change management skills.
While I usually like to see different sides of the story, I think ExclamationMark may have hit the point. In such circumstances, I would write directly to the bishop, briefly outlining concerns, expressing regret that the vicar has taken initial steps without having articulated a plan for mission in the parish (administrators like the word mission) and asking him to assign a senior cleric to coach the vicar and assist him in working with the congregation as a whole.

I wouldn't delay with this, but move quickly before positions become entrenched and people continue to leave. Such coaching might actually help the vicar, who may be stressed and nervous about his initial steps.

quote:
Originally posted by Oscar the Grouch:
unless there is a pressing reason, do NOT make any changes to patterns or styles of services for the first 12 months

c) He spoke earnestly at the interview about how he wanted to work WITH the church and move forward together.
d) This is his first incumbency after a curacy or he has just come from being a team vicar.

Sorry for being so cynical, but I've seen this kind of scenario too many times before.

12 months is way too long. You have become part of the furniture by then. No term can be given but don't do it too quick or leave it too long.

As regards the Vicar Profile you've added - probably true. My two big questions are these

1 Do we know the full extent of what's going on?
2. Why if he was interviewed was this not worked out in advance -it's not that hard to do. Did they think they could move an evangelical to a Central position? [Admittedly that's rather more likely than moving a central positioned minister to evangelical. Besides, aren't we all supposed to be evangelical?]

quote:
Some people are happy with the changes. Most of us are reserving judgement. Yes, there are very specific reasons for the long interregnum, which I prefer not to divulge, to avoid identification.

I personally feel that he shows a lack of respect for our traditions by dictating what must go. A stronger word, used by some, is contempt.

Your new Vicar had moved a divided church. That's probably proven (I can guess but don't know) by the lengthy interregnum but is clear by the fact that his changes have been welcomed by a group in the church whilst others reject them.

It seems both from this post and your accompanying post, that there's a group in the church who feel upset and angry not at the change but because it's the wrong kind of change. Did they/the church make welcoming noises when these things were first discussed/mooted at interview? Were the divisions in the church (you referred earlier to a very wide spread of theological backgrounds) already there?

Having been in that kind of situation, I can tell you from bitter personal experience that everyone is now on a hiding to nothing. It makes me perhaps more sympathetic to the Vicar than I ought but I remember all sorts of broken promises and fault lines revealed as soon as I pressed a few buttons. The divisions were there, I did not create them but revealed them. That doesn't excuse any heavy handedness, power games or immaturity on the Vicar's part but I don't think from what I read that he is alone in that. Is he leading or responding to how he's being treated?

Yes of course he should listen to everyone but no one group should dictate the direction (and hence the practice) of the church. I know I come from a congregational tradition but this is where our ecclesiology scores: reflection, consultation, prayer and listening has to be built in.

ISTM from what I've read that pre existing issues were swept under the carpet perhaps in the forlorn hope that a new Vicar would sort it out. IME to hold it together and please everyone will be impossible - if the Vicar goes or is hemmed back as a consequence of these incidents, a group will still leave.

Without forgiveness grace and prayer the future is grim: perhaps a broken minister, a divided and dividing church and a destroyed community witness. [You can't keep this stuff quiet].

I can't be anything other than bleak as I have seen it time and again - the question is whether people's views and opinion are bigger in their mind than the gospel in these circumstances. That's likely to be the real loser.

quote:
I don’t think the choir have any answers to how things should change. Certainly not a proliferation of worship songs.

The point that concerns me is that at the moment there is no immediate prospect of new people coming in who will appreciate the shorter, dumbed down services, yet quite a few core people who feel they are being ignored, who may well decide to leave.
It is the core congregation who give financially.

Everyone would welcome change but no one has any suggestions on what this looks like. Seems like a recipe for a problem in itself -- only my change is acceptable: I don't have any ideas: let's stay as we are.

quote:
Originally posted by ExclamationMark:
I know I come from a congregational tradition but this is where our ecclesiology scores: reflection, consultation, prayer and listening has to be built in.

Theoretically you're absolutely right. But what may actually happen, sadly, are rows and political battles at Church Meeting.

quote:
Everyone would welcome change but no one has any suggestions on what this looks like.

Everyone says they want change - so long as it affects everybody else but not them.

quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
quote:
I know I come from a congregational tradition but this is where our ecclesiology scores: reflection, consultation, prayer and listening has to be built in.

Theoretically you're absolutely right. But what may actually happen, sadly, are rows and political battles at Church Meeting.
yep - I know. Better though to do it there out in the open where everyone can see and hear.

Posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider (# 76) on :

Is there possibly a sense that the Vicar has been asked to revitalise an aging and shrinking Church with existing contradictory ideas about what Should Be Done, with expectations that he reverse its decline whilst at the same time doing nothing that someone somewhere won't like, ie changing anything more significant than the vicarage cat's flea collar?

Posted by Angloid (# 159) on :

I find this very sad. The OPer describes the church as 'Eucharist centred.' Any pastoral strategy therefore should start by taking this as a given, and growth must mean growing (in depth as well as in numbers) as a eucharistic community.

There are other models of church around, outside and within the C of E, but the idea that one man (and it usually is a man) can unilaterally change the priorities of a church should not be tolerated or encouraged by anyone. Certainly not the bishop who is ultimately responsible for the pastoral care of that community.

It's irrelevant whether this guy is 'evangelical' or 'central'. He is not there to impose his own theology on others. There are many examples of church plants from churches such as HTB, into eucharistic-centred churches (some decidedly anglo-catholic) where the incoming clergy maintain the eucharistic tradition while developing additional acts of worship.

Posted by Ecclesiastical Flip-flop (# 10745) on :

My experience of a change of Vicar after a long tenure (20 years or more) can lead to much unrest. Eventually, each became so established, as to be his own man. Either he would leave changes long overdue and in a rut, or else he would change everything beyond all recognition. As a result, feelings may become so heated, as to become stormy, very likely leading to a mass exodus. I can give examples of that by writing at some length.

As with every situation, there are always other perceptions and interpretations of the same story, even of the same facts.

I don't think that, online 0 in this context - we can see 100% of the picture. In a glass, darkly.

Many thanks for all the replies, with too many points for me to answer just briefly.

I would not have said we were a divided church. Loyalty is a paramount characteristic, in a congregation which, like the C of E itself, contains many ranges of theology and opinions.

Most people are, I think, prepared to give the new vicar time to show us what he can offer.

Those at the higher end regret that he has dropped the Gospel procession and acclamations, dispensed with other rituals, does not wear vestments and reduced the number of Communion services,

For PBS members it was unforgivable that he replaced some of the BCP prayers at the early service with extempore prayers.

For others, it was unacceptable that he seemed to have no idea how Evensong worked, and that he was expected to preach. In our church it is a sung service, though no robed choir, but many of the choir attend, plus others, so there is always SATB singing, with psalms sung very competently.
We now have a rota of people to be cantors, so that the format can continue. One issue satisfactorily dealt with at least.

This is not his first incumbency. He has been ordained about ten years.

I like the idea of him having a “coach” or mentor. He could have taken advice from the local retired clergy who have filled in during the interregnum, and moved the church forward considerably, but he has chosen not to.

As I said, I am reserving judgement for the time being.

Posted by leo (# 1458) on :

In this diocese, new incumbents work with a 'transmission manager' to avoid this sort of thing.

quote:
quote:

12 months is way too long. You have become part of the furniture by then. No term can be given but don't do it too quick or leave it too long.
I disagree. In the first 12 months, you can do all sorts of things and you can begin to make plans to change the styles and patterns of services. But if you change the services immediately, all you are doing is imposing YOUR styles and opinions upon the parish. Far better to sit with existing styles and patterns for 12 months and see for yourself what works and what doesn't. In that time, you will also get a feel for what the parish as a whole wants (as opposed to the lies you read in a parish profile). If significant change is really needed/wanted, that will quickly become apparent from conversations, so that when change IS made, there is more likely to be a feeling of it being change that the church as a whole wants and accepts - there will be more chance of "ownership".

I've seen it time and time again - the new minister comes in and feels the need to "make their mark" as quickly as possible. So services change radically very quickly and almost everyone is left feeling upset and offended. It really doesn't have to be like that. In most cases, the best changes to services are the ones that are not imposed from on high but which are worked on together.

(I was always told that the word liturgy really means "the work of the people". Too often these days it seems to mean "the work done to the people".)

I suspect that one of the reasons why new vicars have this urgent need to make their mark so quickly is that they don't plan on being around for too long. If you are only thinking of a 4-5 year incumbency, you won't want to wait 12 months to make changes to services. But again, in my view, that is putting the wishes of the vicar above the needs of the parish. We are not there to inflict our wishes and personal foibles on the parish. We are there to help lead them forwards on the journey that they have been taking long before we arrived on the scene and which (hopefully) they will still be taking long after we have pushed off.

quote:
Originally posted by leo:
In this diocese, new incumbents work with a 'transmission manager' to avoid this sort of thing.

I like that. It would be good if that were the practice in all dioceses.

Posted by L'organist (# 17338) on :

Two thoughts:

1. There should be an established mechanism for clergy who are leaving a parish to deposit (sealed) for their successor notes on the services at the time they left: what they are and how they run.

2. It should be the rule that any changes made during an interregnum must be formally notified to the Archdeacon with reasons given for why they are being made: this should help guard against the bee-in-the-bonnet type who frequently emerges during a gap in ministry hell-bent on moulding the liturgies in their preferred image.

If those two steps were followed then an incoming incumbent could see at a glance what had been the norm and also work out what empire-building had been going on during the interregnum - this last either by looking at the notified changes or by reading what had been the form and contrasting what he/she finds on the ground.

Posted by Nick Tamen (# 15164) on :

quote:
quote:

Twelve months is the length of time I’ve always heard recommended in my tribe that new pastors should wait before making or suggesting any notable changes worship-wise. This is for two reasons. First, it gives the pastor a chance to experience an entire liturgical year to better get a sense of the what works in the congregation, what doesn’t work, and where people's attachments are. Second, and just as importantly if not more so, the new pastor's focus the first year should be on building a good relationship with the congregation, which will in turn lead the congregation to be more willing to trust new directions the pastor might want to lead.

Posted by Zappa (# 8433) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Gee D:
Buy your new rector copies of Bob Jackson's books - and get the bishop to present them with strong advice to read and follow them. A prime lesson from Jackson is that you don't upset your existing congregations by changing the regular pattern of services, but that you have new services at different times for the new congregations you're hoping to attract.

I agree with Jackson on this ... though it can be a recipe for clergy burnout if the clergy person is hands on with each service ...

But I think (after a few experiences of such matters) Puzzler's vicar is heading for a catastrophe. I've practiced both the "hit 'em before they notice" and the "spend a year getting to know them first" pattern and actually don't think it matters much. What matters is winning the hearts of the people - sadly including at least some of the gate-keepers, though sometimes they need to be disempowered and that's a tough call. In my last gig I think it's fair to say a few of the gate-keepers out-witted me, and I and the majority were gazumped.

When this turns to custard give me a call - I' should be fully registered as a dispute settlement person soon and that looks ripe for bitter stalemate. Or maybe offer me the parish next time - which could be soon ... I'm like totes a nice guy.

[Roll Eyes]

(PS ... in my last gig I followed Nick Tamen's preferred pattern. In the end though I hit the "you change a thing and we'll screw you and we give the money" scenario. They won. Or maybe I was just an arsehole ... but that hadn't been considered the case in previous appointments so I shall hang tenaciously to the belief it wasn't all my fault!)

Good luck with your place, Puzzler.

Posted by no prophet's flag is set so... (# 15560) on :

Will someone tell him something?

quote:
Originally posted by Zappa:
quote:

....sadly including at least some of the gate-keepers, though sometimes they need to be disempowered and that's a tough call. In my last gig I think it's fair to say a few of the gate-keepers out-witted me, and I and the majority were gazumped.
This is the heart of the issue IME.

The big question is -- who holds the power strings in this church?

The reality is that however hard you try. whatever you might promise, there will be people there who just won't get on with you. They may have been close to dear Father X (same gold club, masonic lodge or something) but that doesn't work for you.

A distancing in one area in their minds represents a distancing in all areas. Since very few people (including Clergy) know how to lay down power with good grace, that's the recipe for disaster. Whatever he does/did/promised will not be good enough unless there's a readiness to work in partnership and to accept that even if nothing different is done, there will be changes simply because a new person is doing them.

OTOH you may well find you will lose people who have bided their time pending a new appointment. They want to see things done differently and may have been promised by the power brokers that it will happen with a new minister. They won't stay around long if it's the same old stuff with no hope of change under a new minister. There's no winning answer -- every new incumbent will pick up a church with all sorts of stuff - good and bad. A transition will always bring the bad stuff to the surface - when it may have been lurking underneath for years waiting to burst.

[Edited because I can and because I think that's what your UBB-management was meant to achieve ] [Ultra confused]

[ 28. January 2018, 19:37: Message edited by: Zappa ]

Posted by andras (# 2065) on :

Your new vicar sounds exactly like someone I knew a couple of years back, and who moved on to a new parish a few months ago. I do hope for all your sakes that it isn't the same chap...

Posted by Jengie jon (# 273) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Nick Tamen:
quote:
quote:

Twelve months is the length of time I’ve always heard recommended in my tribe that new pastors should wait before making or suggesting any notable changes worship-wise. This is for two reasons. First, it gives the pastor a chance to experience an entire liturgical year to better get a sense of the what works in the congregation, what doesn’t work, and where people's attachments are. Second, and just as importantly if not more so, the new pastor's focus the first year should be on building a good relationship with the congregation, which will in turn lead the congregation to be more willing to trust new directions the pastor might want to lead.
Also it needs to be put into a context where if they follow the rule of thumb in a similar denomination you do not become a serving elder unless you have been a member for two year. So I would say that it is at least two and half years before you are seen as part of the furniture*.

Jengie

*Actually ministers are rarely seen as part of the furniture. The congregation always knows they will be there long after the minister has gone. For change to stick it needs deep support.

Just back from a good parish communion, mostly as we have been used to, but there is only one more of these before a dumbed down version replaces it. It seemed to me that the Gloria was sung with gusto. The two retired caretaker clergy were both there, and also some others we don't see very often. I wonder if that was significant.

quote:
Originally posted by Jengie jon:
For change to stick it needs deep support.

Which is always the naysayers or stick in the mud's opportunity to derail it.

I don't believe in change for change's sake but responding to a changing world does mean certain adjustments have to be made in the church's ministry.

You will never have everyone with you -- the sensitive leader has to decide when they have reached the sticking point. Whatever is needed, whatever is said or done the rest won't come over: then you have to be brave and confident to go with the main bulk of the people. Sadly the power brokers are usually in the remnant as change removes their raison d'etre -

quote:
Just back from a good parish communion, mostly as we have been used to, but there is only one more of these before a dumbed down version replaces it. It seemed to me that the Gloria was sung with gusto. The two retired caretaker clergy were both there, and also some others we don't see very often. I wonder if that was significant.

It is significant because that's laid out the battlefield in front of the new Vicar. Here's what you're facing mate.

Hmmm I'm increasingly wary about commenting on this as there's much more than meets the eye here.

Yes, more than meets the eye, of course.
My personal opinion, for what it is worth, is that the new vicar would have done better to consult, maybe set up a small group representing all the services and those who rarely come, and listen before taking action on the style and pattern of services.

Whilst taking steps to get to know people, I would like to see him start to get in touch with less regular attenders and those families who come to Messy Church and recent baptism contacts and see what they want and when they would be able and willing to come. Or what alternative would suit them.

Depending on results, I would have expected any new service to run alongside existing forms of worship for quite a while before considering abandoning either or merging them.
I would have supported the musical tradition in the existing services.
I would not have thrown my weight around by telling people that I can do whatever I want.
Other internal changes eg what he wears, where he stands, what forms of prayer he uses, are less significant.
So that nails my colours to the mast.

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Jengie jon:
For change to stick it needs deep support.

Which is always the naysayers or stick in the mud's opportunity to derail it.

I don't believe in change for change's sake but responding to a changing world does mean certain adjustments have to be made in the church's ministry.

My interest in someways is in when change sticks. Deep here does not mean consensus.

I have told you of my home congregation where it took at least three ministers to reduce the number of hymns in worship from five to four. The first one did it and during the interregnum the congregation put it back up to five. The second likewise. The third took one hymn out but replaced it by the lectionary psalm which might be sung in the metrical form, thus connecting it with the tradition. It was a former Presbyterian Congregation where many members were used to singing metrical psalm. It stuck.

Jengie

[ 28. January 2018, 18:06: Message edited by: Jengie jon ]

quote:
My personal opinion, for what it is worth, is that the new vicar would have done better to consult, maybe set up a small group representing all the services and those who rarely come, and listen before taking action on the style and pattern of services.

Whilst taking steps to get to know people, I would like to see him start to get in touch with less regular attenders and those families who come to Messy Church and recent baptism contacts and see what they want and when they would be able and willing to come. Or what alternative would suit them.

Depending on results, I would have expected any new service to run alongside existing forms of worship for quite a while before considering abandoning either or merging them.
I would not have thrown my weight around by telling people that I can do whatever I want.
Other internal changes eg what he wears, where he stands, what forms of prayer he uses, are less significant.

... and fairly fair, too, I'd say.

Yes, indeed, although vesture and forms of prayer used are possibly important, given that they are prescribed by Canon.

IOW, the custom of the parish shouldn't be changed without consultation etc., as per the other matters.

IJ

Posted by ThunderBunk (# 15579) on :

I've been on the other end of this one.

I waited for an incumbent to retire, confident (or at least firmly hopeful) that his wilder eccentricities and a circumstance which he no longer had the energy to address would depart when a new incumbent was appointed. I also stuck with the church through its interregnum because of this.

I left when I found that the new incumbent, who was sympathetic to what I wanted to see, felt himself unable to do it because of the opposition it would cause. Watching him distort himself trying to perpetuate the previous incumbent's legacy, when I knew he would rather be doing what I longed to see, was more than I could take. This was not entirely noble, I admit, but the frustration was just too much, especially seeing all that energy so much misdirected.

quote:

All this seems perfectly reasonable and what I would call "good practice'. If this is not what people are being taught to do during their training for ordination and subsequent curacy, then what ARE they being taught?

The more I hear such examples of what some new ministers do in their first few months, the more I feel that there is a desperate need for good training to be given (and made mandatory!) on "transitions to a new parish". Good practice in this matter is not hard to find - so why are there still so many examples of ministers blundering in and throwing their supposed weight around?

Posted by Enoch (# 14322) on :

quote:
All this seems perfectly reasonable and what I would call "good practice'. If this is not what people are being taught to do during their training for ordination and subsequent curacy, then what ARE they being taught?

The more I hear such examples of what some new ministers do in their first few months, the more I feel that there is a desperate need for good training to be given (and made mandatory!) on "transitions to a new parish". Good practice in this matter is not hard to find - so why are there still so many examples of ministers blundering in and throwing their supposed weight around?

Alas, this is a 'party' tradition that goes back over 150 years to people now regarded as the heroes of Anglo-Catholicism. Those who agree with them admire them for their determination in the late C19 for introducing 'advanced' practices against the resistance of parishioners and Protestant campaigners.

Far too many people since have picked up the idea that this is what a dynamic, effective and principled incumbent does, irrespective of churchmanship. At the moment, the tide is moving in an evangelical direction. So evangelicals are presented to MoR congregations, and some of them feel that it is their duty to turn their congregations into what they see as bastions of the truth. Between the wars, it was Anglo-Catholics inspired by the Anglo-Catholic Congresses of the 1920s who were accused of much the same sort of thing.

Slightly difficult slant, but Dearmer's Parson's Handbook encourages the same sort of thing. It sees the Parson's job as to know what is right - or tasteful - and impose it on 'his' congregation, whether they like not or not.

Irrespective of the cause it's done in, the perpetrators are likely to regard the diocese as getting in their way, not providing valuable mentoring and support.

quote:

Great idea but would the sub group have been welcomed by those who resist any change? It's what I have seen happen: they try to cut off any thing which affects their power base at source.

Posted by Arethosemyfeet (# 17047) on :

There is an adage in teaching that 20% of a group will work with you, 20% of a group will work against you and it's up to you to win the 60% in the middle. I think something similar applies with vicars and congregations.

Posted by Jemima the 9th (# 15106) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:
At the moment, the tide is moving in an evangelical direction. So evangelicals are presented to MoR congregations, and some of them feel that it is their duty to turn their congregations into what they see as bastions of the truth.

When this happened at our church, some years ago now, the incumbent (who stayed for 7 months, though was only active in ministry for 3) not only saw his job as turning the church into a bastion of truth, but publicly denouncing & turning us away from the wrong teaching he believed we had received previously.

And so I second this hope:
quote:
Originally posted by andras:
Your new vicar sounds exactly like someone I knew a couple of years back, and who moved on to a new parish a few months ago. I do hope for all your sakes that it isn't the same chap...

To my knowledge there is no “power group” other than the core PCC.
As is often the case there are people who attend the early BCP service who would make their feelings known if necessary, but they don’t really venture outside that service.
The congregation is all for making church more accessible, though not necessarily in agreement as to what that means.

Given that the families we do have contact with would be unlikely to attend on a weekly basis on Sundays, I see no valid reason to discontinue our traditional services on certain Sundays.
In this day and age there are many other ways to reach out to others, beside Sunday services. I look forward to the new incumbent’s ideas on this.
Thank you for all your thoughts and comments.

Posted by Aggie (# 4385) on :

At the church I often attend, the new Vicar always uses modern Roman Catholic liturgy rather than C of E liturgy. Several members of the congregation are unhappy about this and have complained, but the Vicar always challenges anyone who complains.

Posted by Felafool (# 270) on :

When I was involved in training newbies at the vicar factory, we did quite a lot of work on servant leadership and managing change. One useful little book was Hit the Ground Kneeling, an apt title, written by Stephen Cottrell. I also recall Bill Hybels saying that a church can only move as fast as its pastor on his knees.

It is almost a truism that whenever there is a new minister appointed in an overall leadership capacity, some people will not get on with her and some people will leave, whatever she does. This is similar in other working situations, except for the leaving bit. In a church you are dealing with people who volunteer their support and attendance, which is easier to withdraw than in a working contract.

Another truism is that you will never satisfy all of the people all the time. However long you take attempting to bring people along, however gently or persuasively, there will be some who are never going to get it. That is no excuse for not consulting, listening and learning before instigating change.

I have experienced (and also been guilty of) both the bull in a china shop approach as well as the patient listening one. Both generated a similar amount of pain and unrest, but the difference was that in one case the pain was intense but relatively short lived, and in the other it was perhaps milder but much more drawn out.

I also experienced and practised a middle way - setting up change in parallel with the status quo. This is potentially much harder work unless delegation is widespread, but in the end much more rewarding. The merits or otherwise of the 'experiment' can be seen and felt, and if they aren't then perhaps the change is the wrong one.

quote:

Slightly difficult slant, but Dearmer's Parson's Handbook encourages the same sort of thing. It sees the Parson's job as to know what is right - or tasteful - and impose it on 'his' congregation, whether they like not or not.

Gross slander! Dearmer started from the principle (accepted by all at that time) that the BCP was the standard for Anglican worship, and aimed for a dignified and reverent expression of it. He was quite willing to accept less elaborate ceremonial but insisted that anything done in church should be consistent with Prayer Book order.

We are now in a quite different situation. Effectively 'anything goes' in Anglican worship. But there are constraints and one of them is the insistence that any changes in the style of worship should be agreed between the parish priest and the PCC.

Posted by Albertus (# 13356) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Aggie:
At the church I often attend, the new Vicar always uses modern Roman Catholic liturgy rather than C of E liturgy. Several members of the congregation are unhappy about this and have complained, but the Vicar always challenges anyone who complains.

This really needs the Bishop to take a stand and, if necessary, start disciplinary proceedings for using an unauthorised liturgy. But what are the chances of that in the modern CofE? .

Just so. A neighbouring parish uses the Roman rite exclusively, having taken the decision (priest, PCC, and people, AFAIK) to do so when the most recent revision of the rite was made (2011?).

At least that has the benefit of consistency, unlike the wretched mish-mash bequeathed to us at Our Place by our now retired (and not much missed) Father Fu**wit...

+Chartres, late of London, had the right idea, IIRC. Use Common Worship unless there is no suitable provision, in which case you can borrow from Rome.

IJ

Posted by dj_ordinaire (# 4643) on :

Just a general reminder (in a quasi-official capacity I suppose) that we cannot really make judgements about the circumstances in any given church simply on the basis of an Internet discussion.

This thread seems like it could serve a valuable purpose for discussing how changes can and should come about, but please, keep gossip to a minimum!

Isn't using the Roman rite a blatant and intentional breach of the incumbent's Declaration of Assent,
“in public prayer and administration of the sacraments, I will use only the forms of service which are authorized or allowed by Canon”.

I'd understand that as meaning, 'in accordance with either Common Worship or the 1662 BCP'.

I also can't see any reason other than cussedness why a person wants to do that. Except that it sometimes tends to be a bit wordy, Common Worship is fairly flexible but the instructions can be confusing. I can see reasons why a person might select shorter options and simplify a bit more than they are meant to.

I know there are people who insist on using the Roman rite, but I can't see what their excuse is. If they think that somehow makes the elements more consecrated than if they use the rites they are supposed to, then I'd suggest that,

a. they are in the wrong ecclesial community, and
b. their Eucharistic theology is awry.

Whilst I have a lot of time for individual Anglo-Catholics, I find the full-on Anglo-Papalist upper reaches of it very baffling.

They seem to want their cake and eat it.

I've seen RC priests tear their hair out.
'What more do these people want? We've got the Ordinariate, they can bring their wives ...'

Mention of the Ordinariate must bring to mind the delayed departure of the bishops until after the Christmas holiday period. The "having their cake and eating it" reminds us that they undertook few if any of the sorts of duties a bishop would normally undertake in that period.

In general terms, I much prefer the language of the APBA to the latest Catholic translation. It's much less clunky, and is language well understood across a modern community without losing dignity or reverence. I do like the Catholic general confession to God and the others in the congregation, and then seeking forgiveness both from God an "you, my brothers and sisters". But if you want to use the Missal, then you go to Rome.

[ 01. February 2018, 01:36: Message edited by: Gee D ]

I assumed the Anglo-Papalists who haven't already departed either can't handle the pay cut or can't handle the idea of being expected to obey their oath of obedience to their ordinary. I may be being uncharitable.

You may be, but I'm not sure just how many would say that now.

I think Enoch may be right, insofar as a Certain Priest I know is concerned.

He seems to think that, if it's Roman, it must (by definition) be more Holy. Yes, he could join the Ordinariate, and take his Lovely Wife with him, but there is no convenient local group.

A former Shipmate used to have as his sig 'Why can't we just do what it says in the book?'.

[Disappointed]

IJ

How do you classify a church that Mass is Catholic and Office is BCP?

Jengie

Posted by Aggie (# 4385) on :

I am really not sure why our Vicar isn't a Roman Catholic priest as he uses modern Roman Catholic liturgy all the time and during the prayers of Intercession and in the Eucharistic prayer mentions "Francis our Pope" first before + Justin, our Archbishop and our diocesan bishop.

Jengie jon asks:
quote:
How do you classify a church that Mass is Catholic and Office is BCP?
'Prayer-Book Catholic' was the term used in the Olden Days, but, IIRC, presupposed the use of the BCP form of the Eucharist, or perhaps the English Missal.

Our Place will, I hope, sooner or later revert to Common Worship with the Carflick bits allowed by Canon. BCP is our current usage for the Office, though the Office is not at present said in church each day.

IJ

quote:
Originally posted by Aggie:
I am really not sure why our Vicar isn't a Roman Catholic priest as he uses modern Roman Catholic liturgy all the time and during the prayers of Intercession and in the Eucharistic prayer mentions "Francis our Pope" first before + Justin, our Archbishop and our diocesan bishop.

To keep hold of his Pension? [Devil]

Together with his House, and his Wife (should he possess such a useful Appendage)!

[Devil]

IJ

Not necessarily the latter - I knew a married Anglican who became an RC priest. The process took about 4 years and required a special dispensation from His Holiness. Both he and Mrs. Priest were popular in their church.

BTW I seriously considered moving from the Baptists to the URC a few years ago, and my pension arrangements were certainly an important aspect of my decision to stay (though by no means the only one).

[ 01. February 2018, 17:36: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Fair point - I was being slightly ironic!

At the risk of resurrecting bits of Dead Horse, the fact that the RCC now has a number of married priests exercising their ministry within it, may make it a bit easier for that Church as a whole to accept yet more married priests, in the future, who are not refugees from elsewhere..

[Snigger]

IJ

I get accused of equivocation and hedging my bets all the time, yet even I can't understand why an Anglican cleric would have prayers for the Pope before those for Welby and the rest of the Anglican clergy ...

[Confused]

Pension may have something to do with it but I suspect it's not as simple as that.

The issue Baptist Trainfan has highlighted, whether to move from one form of congregational church to another - ie Baptist to URC - seems a completely different kettle of fish.

I'm not trying to underestimate the disruption it might cause but crossing the Tiber from Canterbury does seem a bigger deal.

Perhaps it isn't?

Perhaps I'm making it a bigger issue in my own mind than it actually is.

But I don't quite understand how full-on Anglo-Papalists who have reached the stratospheric heights of spikiness can balance away up there without toppling down the other side and landing in Rome.

Now that being married ('I should have gone last Tuesday week, had not my wife objected' -EL Mascall's Ultracatholic) is no longer an insurmountable obstacle,I'd go with pension. And status. And perhaps most of all - I'm guessing- not wanting to serve under Bishops who actually expect to be obeyed and can move you around.

Gamaliel, I don't understand either.

I imagine, too, that some of the more twiddly spiky practices would not be well received in the (mainstream) contemporary RCC, however common they might have been in the pre-V2 Church from which they were borrowed.

Posted by venbede (# 16669) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Albertus:
n the (mainstream) contemporary RCC, however common they might have been in the pre-V2 Church from which they were borrowed.

That has been my experience of liturgical Anglo papalists over the past forty years. They are the ones who follow the austere rubrics of Vatican 2. I always thought English Missal wasn't catholic after Vat 2, just 'Igh Church.

Posted by venbede (# 16669) on :

Getting back to the issues raised by Puzzler: There were two different issues and the discussion confused them

ONE. How a responsible (Anglican) pastor manages (liturgical) change and also the larger issues of how they exercise authority generally and what that authority is.

TWO. What (liturgical) changes to have. It is not for me to say what change if any Puzzler’s parish should have. I will only say I hope I would have the grace to be hung, drawn and quartered other than give up belief that the eucharist is the principal Christian service, particularly on Sunday. And provided there’s a eucharist, I don’t mind the eucharistic prayer, provided it's mainline catholic.

quote:
Originally posted by Gamaliel:
I get accused of equivocation and hedging my bets all the time, yet even I can't understand why an Anglican cleric would have prayers for the Pope before those for Welby and the rest of the Anglican clergy ...

[Confused]

I wouldn't do it myself largely because of the misunderstanding it would cause in a congregation. But I can see the logic: you don't have to be an extreme papalist to accept that in some sense the Anglican church is dependent on Rome. Not in the sense that we are 'in communion' as we are with fellow-anglicans (though this itself is very fragile). But in the sense that our tradition was formed through one and a half millennia as part of the Western Catholic church. Hence if we pray for Church leaders we should surely be looking beyond our own domestic bishops to the de jure leader of the largest body of Christians, and the de facto leader of many more. The Archbishop of Canterbury and our own diocesan bishops make no claim to universal jurisdiction; the Pope of course can't exercise it in the present divided church. But he can have a moral and a spiritual authority which we recognise by praying for him.

Indeed. We often pray for 'the leaders of our sister churches' in the Intercessions, though not usually by name, IYSWIM.

It's certainly misleading for an Anglican to pray for 'our' Pope in the Eucharistic Prayer, but we do have one occasional Visiting Priest who includes 'Pope Francis, Bartholomew the Ecumenical Patriarch, Archbishops Justin and John etc. etc.' in Eucharistic Prayer B.

Which seems fair enough, given what Angloid has said.

IJ

quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:
Indeed. We often pray for 'the leaders of our sister churches' in the Intercessions, though not usually by name, IYSWIM.

It's certainly misleading for an Anglican to pray for 'our' Pope in the Eucharistic Prayer, but we do have one occasional Visiting Priest who includes 'Pope Francis, Bartholomew the Ecumenical Patriarch, Archbishops Justin and John etc. etc.' in Eucharistic Prayer B.

Which seems fair enough, given what Angloid has said.

IJ

Not misleading. Wrong and subject to discipline under canon law

I meant 'misleading' inasmuch as reference to 'our' Pope might confuse a newcomer as to which denomination's church he or she had entered...

I wish Bishops and Archdeacons would uphold Canon law, though.

IJ

quote:
I meant 'misleading' inasmuch as reference to 'our' Pope might confuse a newcomer as to which denomination's church he or she had entered...

I wish Bishops and Archdeacons would uphold Canon law, though.

IJ

I think the wording is slightly different in this respect in an RC church to what it is in an Anglican Normative Rite Mass, but newcomers, would not know that of course. RC, the wording is "We Pray for Francis our Pope" (which I quote from memory). With possible exceptions, Anglicans would usually say, "We pray for Pope Francis".

I, a Baptist, have certainly prayed for "the Pope" in worship, also the Archbishop of Canterbury and other Church leaders. But never "our Pope" nor "our Archbishop" as we are not under their authority.

Sure, it was the 'our' part I was referring to.

Incidentally, I will remember a visiting preacher being taken to task by the deacons in a Baptist church in South Wales for praying for the recovery of Pope John Paul II after the assassination attempt.

Posted by Forthview (# 12376) on :

Indeed,as EFF says, if the vicar is using the text
of the Roman rite of Mass, he would automatically say,if using Eucharistic Prayer 1

'... we make humble prayer... that you accept these gifts... for your holy catholic church . Be pleased to grant her peace...together with your servant.......our Pope and ...our Bishop and all those who,.... hand on the catholic and apostolic faith'.

EP2 says 'Remember,o Lord your Church throughout the world and bring her to the fullness of charity together with ....our Pope and...our ... Bishop and all the clergy

EP3 Be pleased to confirm in faith and charity your pilgrim church on earth,with your servant...our Pope and ...our Bishop,the Order of Bishops,all the clergy and the entire people you have gained for your own'.

EP4 Therefore,Lord, remember now all for whom we offer this sacrifice,especially your servant...our Pope,,,,,our Bishop.... your entire people and all who seek You with a sincere heart.

As Angloid said it is logical to recognize the debt in heritage and ideas which the CofE and the other historic churches of the Protestant Reformation owe to the Church of Rome,of which they are all sort of 'out of town' members.

On the other hand,like Gamaliel and others, I cannot understand,how a priest who sees in the CofE an integral part of the Catholic Churc,h is unable to use the rites which are proposed for use by that same CofE.
'

quote:
Originally posted by Forthview:
... I cannot understand,how a priest who sees in the CofE an integral part of the Catholic Churc,h is unable to use the rites which are proposed for use by that same CofE.
'

And that, I think, is the killer punch. Spot on. Brilliantly put, Forthview.

Back to the new vicar.
First Baptism since he arrived,
in the main 10.00 am eucharist, and when it came to the Peace, he announced that the friends and family of the baptism party would be leaving now.
I know that they are not a church-going family.
Is this done elsewhere? I have never come across this before anywhere.

Posted by andras (# 2065) on :

quote:
Back to the new vicar.
First Baptism since he arrived,
in the main 10.00 am eucharist, and when it came to the Peace, he announced that the friends and family of the baptism party would be leaving now.
I know that they are not a church-going family.
Is this done elsewhere? I have never come across this before anywhere.

I think it's the sheer bad manners of this that appals me, though whether on the part of the members of the baptismal party or the vicar I'm not quite sure.

And no, I've never seen such a thing, though I do remember with horror the days when it wasn't unusual for almost half the congregation at a Eucharist to slip out more-or-less quietly during the offertory hymn.

Sounds like a throw-back to the early days of the Church when the catechumens had to leave at the Offertory (do the Orthodox still do that?).

AIUI, it was also the practice during early post-Reformation days in England (as reflected in more recent times by what andras has mentioned!).

Perhaps the Vicar had arranged it beforehand with the baptismal party, in case they were exposed to too much religion?

[Roll Eyes]

Whatever - it does sound very odd indeed.

IJ

Yes. That's odd. It's also conveying a very odd message. Did this happen before or after the Peace? Were the baptism party included in the Peace? If they weren't it sounds a bit inconsistent with,
quote:
we are children of the same heavenly Father; we welcome you.

Most unwelcoming.

This chap needs to be returned to the vicar factory for re-calibrating.

IJ

In the interregnum, baptisms were on the first Sunday in this service, always part of the Eucharist. No other time was possible, eg those who wanted a “private” service were not accommodated.
This baptism was already booked, and I believe this was the new vicar’s suggestion, agreed in advance, that they leave early, as soon as the Peace was announced, to save them having to stay too long.
In future, the new vicar intends that this service will be a family service, non-Eucharistic, so the situation will not recur.

I would just mention that for people not familiar with church a communion service can be a bit scary and off-putting if not handled well. I grew up in a church that dealt with this by breaking for coffee at the peace allowing people who wanted to slip out quietly while still making it clear that the service was of a piece and would continue. It had the added bonus of encouraging people to stay for coffee rather than dash off. I realise the very idea will lead to much clutching of pearls here in eccles but it was effective.

Posted by Curiosity killed ... (# 11770) on :

The problem with family-orientated, non-Eucharistic, all age worship services is that, in my experience, they are not popular with people who actually go to church, with attendance numbers down for that Sunday. Neither do they seem to encourage those who do not normally attend church.

I have recently written an email to the organiser of these services at the local CofE church explaining why we will not be bringing Guides monthly. Fortunately our pack is not affiliated to the church, so we can politely decline. (We struggle to get girls to weekend events anyway: a combination of other things on, seeing the other parent at weekends, visits to grandparents, ...)

Posted by Zacchaeus (# 14454) on :

I know of cases where the baptism family have upped and left during the peace – but this was not at the churches request and caused a lot of mutterings among the congregation

But why should the Eucharist be so scary? No-one is forced to take it, they can stay quietly in their pew if they wish (and this should be explained by the person presiding).

To come back to the baptism - to me as a Baptist (and I'm not trying to open a DH stable) this could hardly be worse, although I can see that Anglicans are hardly jumping for you either. The family brings their child for baptism and a welcome into the church community - then scarpers as soon as they are able and apparently with no requirement for any religious commitment. What on earth does that say about the sacrament?

It says that the sacrament is important enough not to be denied to anyone, and that it is not our place to judge people who bring their children for it. We can and should invite them to further their own journey of faith but we can't deny baptism to children because of our views about their parents.

As for why people find communion scary I don't know exactly - a combination of the emotional charge involved and the language used. Talk of sacrifice, of eating flesh and drinking blood doesn't sit well with a lot of people who are unfamiliar with it.

In more trad CofE terms, knock out family-oriented, knock out all-age, stick with non-Eucharistic and what have you got? Basically Matins- a service which in many people's experience (including IIRC leo on here, during an interregnum) can turn out to be, perhaps counter-intuitively, very inclusive. Doesn't demand any particular action (no wondering whether you should go up for Communion, or apparent divide on this point between 'regulars' and 'occasionals'), and structured enough that you can flip ahead in the service book and see what will be happening. And, crucially, guaranteed non-patronising.

[ 04. February 2018, 15:51: Message edited by: Albertus ]

Well it remains to be seen what kind of service we will get for the new family non- Eucharistic worship next month, baptism or no baptism.

Not sure I like the idea of a coffee break in the middle, after the peace and before communion, as the whole thing will end up taking all morning

Bad (or no) preparation - though I don't mean that six-week courses should be compulsory!

CK is right about non-eucharistic Family Services in some churches, at least, as can be seen from reading Parish Profiles (some of them are honest re attendances!) when a new vicar is being sought.

We offer people the choice of Baptism within the 1030am Eucharist (where the baptismal rite occupies the place of the Creed, and is followed by brief Intercessions), or as a stand-alone service at 12 noon. Families who are not part of the present congregation usually opt for the 12 noon slot, but we do try to ensure that at least a few of the 'regulars' are present to help welcome them.

IJ

That was in reply to BT's earlier post - I forgot to look at this page first!

IJ

Posted by BroJames (# 9636) on :

Actually, I can easily imagine the conversation between the Vicar and the parents “When N was christened the service seemed to go on a long time after the christening. A lot of the friends of the family didn’t really understand what was going on. Although the Vicar was very encouraging about coming to communion or coming to the rail for a blessing, they didn’t really feel comfortable with that. Then people who were looking after little ones were really struggling to manage them by then. Will it have to be a communion when our baby is christened?”

In the face of that, a departure at the Peace, when there’s a fair amount of movement anyway may have looked like a good option, rather than making the baptism party sit through a sacrament in which few of them could partake, and many would not understand.

quote:

Not sure I like the idea of a coffee break in the middle, after the peace and before communion, as the whole thing will end up taking all morning

10:45 start and done by just after noon, as I recall.

Posted by bib (# 13074) on :

I have noticed there are great difficulties when a new minister comes from a different type of church background, We have a new minister who would have our church services become places of fun and entertainment whereas we have more traditional reflective services with time for silences. It is obvious that he was used to more upbeat services and music and can't understand that his new congregation prefers not to go down that route. I don't think he will change his mind, but nor will we which will prove interesting as the year develops.

Posted by Pangolin Guerre (# 18686) on :

Have I followed this correctly? The main service at a CofE church is going to be non-eucharistic? How does the new vicar justify this?

Posted by Leorning Cniht (# 17564) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Pangolin Guerre:
Have I followed this correctly? The main service at a CofE church is going to be non-eucharistic? How does the new vicar justify this?

I understood the change to be a non-Eucharistic "family" service once a month.

quote:
Originally posted by bib:
I have noticed there are great difficulties when a new minister comes from a different type of church background, We have a new minister who would have our church services become places of fun and entertainment whereas we have more traditional reflective services with time for silences. It is obvious that he was used to more upbeat services and music and can't understand that his new congregation prefers not to go down that route. I don't think he will change his mind, but nor will we which will prove interesting as the year develops.

I think I know your new rector. If so, I can say that someone described him as a man who came to liturgy late.

posted by Pangolin Guerre
quote:
Have I followed this correctly? The main service at a CofE church is going to be non-eucharistic?
Two things: first, it depends on how you define a "main" service - on numbers attending or time. It could be argued that any communion service is the main service, even if it takes place at 6am with only 2 people. In any case, in many rural parishes the main service always was Matins and you can often find this continues to be the case, but there will be a communion service as well.

Second, you're living in the past if you think the brand-new, bishop approved world of "mission-shaped" church with Alpha and coffee is going to see something as old-school and trad as communion as a requirement.

Some examples: within the mega-parish that is Holy Trinity Brompton there are 4 churches but you will only find a celebration of Holy Communion at one of them (Holy Trinity Queensgate); this is a common pattern with HTB plants elsewhere too: communion shunted off to a small outpost, frequently just a said 8am. St Helen's, Bishopsgate, only has communion once a month and it isn't a full eucharistic service per se, just a bare-bones said communion tacked onto the end of their 10.30am "meeting".

Outside the capital the pattern is the same: those churches which have been given a lot of money or planted (the ones bishops love to describe as "mission-shaped") either will have one communion service a month at the "main" time or, if weekly, it will be a said service only at 8am; typical examples of this can be seen in Sheffield and Chichester.

Which rather begs the question of what the 'mission' is about.

It seems that our Deanery is rather fortunate, in that most churches still have the Eucharist as the principal mid-morning service on most Sundays - though some have an All Age/Family service on one (usually the first Sunday).

Even our local char-evo church alternates Holy Communion between morning and evening service week by week.

In country parishes, where churches are many, and clergy few, a monthly or fortnightly Eucharist (with Matins elsewhen!) might indeed be desirable.

IJ

In country parishes, where churches are many and clergy are few, round here, they are likely to get one HC a month, and maybe one other, either matins or evensong, depending on what the ministry team can provide.

I have just heard via the grapevine that one lady who is a regular at the early HC (BCP) says the new vicar does not seem to know what to do . I have also seen evidence of this in other services.
If he truly doesn’t know, he should
A) study the service carefully and give it some careful preparation
B) ask someone eg lay reader, retired clergy or those who assist regularly.
To my mind there is no excuse for being unprepared.

As to what “mission” is all about...?
I don’t expect that changing services in itself is magically going to fill the pews. Granted, we now have an evangelistic address at almost every service, but it is mostly, literally preaching to the converted.
I have not yet heard of any strategy for mission.

quote:
I have just heard via the grapevine that one lady who is a regular at the early HC (BCP) says the new vicar does not seem to know what to do . I have also seen evidence of this in other services.

This sounds very much like gossip to me. Has she, have you, spoken to him about it? Until you have and it hasn't changed from the awful( assuming it is that and not just different), will you refrain from spreading your views wider?

quote:
As to what “mission” is all about...?
I don’t expect that changing services in itself is magically going to fill the pews. Granted, we now have an evangelistic address at almost every service, but it is mostly, literally preaching to the converted.
I have not yet heard of any strategy for mission.

Mission is the work of God. There is no magic bullet IME. Mind you I'd be very surprised - as it would be unique in my experience - that your Vicar is literally preaching to the converted.

Assuming he is, for one moment, I presume you will now be leaving the building as a missional people? If you are, what/who are you taking with you and how will that now be informing and directing every part of life?

If you're not there yet then yu'll need the teaching you're getting.

posted by Puzzler
quote:
I have just heard via the grapevine that one lady who is a regular at the early HC (BCP) says the new vicar does not seem to know what to do. I have also seen evidence of this in other services.

I wish I could say I'm surprised but not now - maybe 30 years ago but not now.

When our PP was suddenly taken ill we were loaned the curate from a church in the nearest large town. Priested for 12 months, they were completely flummoxed by a said BCP HC service, even though we have a large print altar copy of the whole thing so they don't have to plough through it and think for themselves. The sidesperson on duty was treated to a 15 minute harangue afterwards about how "backward" it was for us to be using the BCP and how any church that wished to survive in the modern world should stop using same forthwith. They had no interest in a "dead" book and looked forward to the day when it disappeared.

However, the 10am CW Parish Communion fared no better: again, large print altar copy with everything laid out, rubrics in red, etc. The result was still chaos with the chap standing there saying "I don't know what you expect next" - frankly, it was shameful.

Now yes, this person had been thrust into the breach at fairly short (24 hours) notice but all the information was to hand and they'd had hand-delivered to their home hard copy the afternoon before.

The final straw was when they decided to leave as soon as the service finished rather than greeting people at the door, pausing only long enough to deliver themselves of a diatribe to the churchwardens about the fact that we use the NEH - they found the music "ghastly" and said the sooner we got rid of the organ and formed a music group the better.

We haven't felt moved to issue an invitation to come back to preach ... [Mad]

Unfamiliarity with the BCP is one thing, and the odd glitch could be forgiven, but what a lack of grace!

IJ

Posted by Utrecht Catholic (# 14285) on :

I was astonished to read that HTB, does not celebrate Holy Communion/ every Sunday.Is this really true ?
I know quite well that St.Helens Bishopsgate,observes this
Sacrament sadly once a month.
A few years ago,I approached one of the clergy at St.Helen's why do you not have H.C. every Sunday ?
I was replied that it is not found in the Bible.
Very strange reaction and I strongly disagree with this vision.The Lord's Service on the Lord's Day is of course the Holy Eucharist/Holy Communion
Are C.of E. Bishops today so obsessed with money,that they allow practises that are not truly Anglican?
Even the great Reformers Luther and Calvin have Always been in favour of the celebration of the
Lord's Supper every Sunday

Utrecht Catholic, in principle I agree with you. If that is correct and there is no 8am service, that is also contrary to the present canons. However, before judging another communion by the assumptions of your own, you need to be aware of a little bit of history.

The Reformers wanted to bring in weekly communion. However, they never persuaded a churchgoing community to agree. People had been taught before the Reformation that although there was Mass weekly, virtually nobody received, or if they did, it was at the most, once a year at Easter. It was just something the priest did. The congregation watched. Out in the parishes, the requirement in the 1662 Book of Common Prayer public that people should receive at least three times a year of which one should be at Easter, was a step up, not a step down, in the standard expected of the laity.

That standard was fairly widely known, and I think fairly widely observed.

In contrast with the Catholics, both Roman, and possibly, though I do not know, your own communion, the Church of England has not historically allowed Holy Communion to be celebrated unless there are a minimum of three people present to communicate with the priest. The expectation has been that most people present will receive.

The normal practice in many churches from the Reformation until the mid/late C19 would have been for the main Sunday morning service to have been Morning Prayer, followed by the Litany, followed by Holy Communion, but only what is described as Ante-Communion ending with the Prayer for the Church Militant, unless it was a Communion Sunday, when the service was completed. How many Communion Sundays there were in the year might vary. In some churches this might be every week but typical might be four times a year or once a month.

So, whether or not that is their real reason, if they do not celebrate Holy Communion all that frequently, very Protestant parishes can claim to have a tradition on their side . It is difficult to argue that such a practice is "not truly Anglican". Nor, though I personally would like to see more frequent Communion, can I follow your slur that this is somehow because our bishops are obsessed with money. I think that is unfair, a non sequitur and defamatory of our episcopate.

In the late C19 and much of the C20 until it became more difficult to ordain (and pay) enough people to priestly orders, the more usual practice became to have a separate said Holy Communion at 8 am, and Morning Prayer as a stand-alone service mid-morning. The latter was the main service and had the sermon. The faithful were recommended that once a month was an appropriate commitment for communicating.

There would be a separate Evening Prayer, which until the mid C19 was usually in the afternoon, and thereafter 6-6.30 pm.

Posted by Zacchaeus (# 14454) on :

Canon law says that each parish should have Holy Communion service every Sunday.

However in this day of large teams and multi-church parishes, that Communion service can be at 8:00am at St Nowhere in the back of beyond and still be legal.

And with the diminishing numbers of clergy – more and more it is becoming impossible to hold a communion service every week not withstandinng canon law.

L'organiste, as to my living in the past, I'm accused of it so frequently that if a week goes by and I'm not accused of that, I start to think that my game is slipping. [Biased]

That said, what you describe in your second point seems not be the case in Canada, or, at least, not predominantly the case. When I was first hunting around for a parish (visiting eight or ten), the only time that the main service (i.e., 10:30 or 11:00) did not have communion was if they were doing Matins in lieu of (which I don't agree with, but is not something I can get too worked up over). And that was regardless of their position on the candle and whether it was BCP or BAS (=CW).

To underline Pangolin's point, I only know of 2 parishes (both in Toronto) which do not have a Eucharist or sung Matins as their principal service, and I've attended services in half of Anglican Canada's dioceses over the years (my fairly high score due to travels for Our Glorious Sovereign's bureaucracy). My acquaintance with TEC, south of the world's longest undefended border, suggests the same pattern of practice.

Some multi-point parishes (which normally extend for 30-50km) will have churches where they rotate priestly services and so some points may only have Matins for their Sunday service, but there'll be a priest around in a Sunday or two.

Canonical discipline for services seems to be stricter here, and there are perhaps only a handful of Canadian churches which do not use the BCP or BAS and, even then (as at Saint Onoforio's where I occasionally grace a pew), the changes are minimal. While travelling, I incline mkyself to places with a snort of incense, but even there I think I have only heard once or twice prayers for the Pope. It is not unknown to have the ruling bishops of a city included (e.g., John our Bishop, Terence the Archbishop of this city, and Irenée the Bishop, Colin our Metropolitan and Frederick our Primate).

When my former parish went through some travails (details available for a bottle of Lagavulin 16-year old), one of the arguments used was that temporary clergy would not be able to make their way around the BCP and an ad orientem altar. I did not make myself popular with the rector by suggesting that we simply not engage clergy who were too dim to follow the rubrics.

Posted by betjemaniac (# 17618) on :

While interesting, what happens in Canada is largely irrelevant to what happens in England. As has been pointed out, it was the parish communion movement which set the expectation of receiving weekly *in England* (notwithstanding the efforts of sundry Anglo Catholics in earlier years) as late as the mid 20th century.

My own current parish church has *never* had a weekly communion. The most it has ever got to is the current twice monthly - and that's as part of a benefice of 7. When it had its own vicar it was monthly. The default setting out here in the sticks has always been mattins, with some parishioners *even now* only receiving on Easter Sunday (let alone 3 times a year).

quote:
Originally posted by Utrecht Catholic:

they allow practises that are not truly Anglican?

Well personally I think anything outside the 39 Articles and BCP is a bit outre... There is no expectation in the 1662 variant that communion will be weekly.

It is protestant extremists who are non-adherents of the Oxford Movement and the fruits thereof, who take a literal and fundamentalist view of the 39 Articles, as thogh these are divinely inspired and fell-down straight from Heaven. These are not articles of faith, but statements of how Anglicans felt about doctrinal tenets, during one period in history now long past. Some of these are a tall order to us living in the 21st century.

To give just two examples - "The Bishop of Rome hath no juridiction in this Realm of England." (I quote from memory.) But in modern times, two popes have made pastoral visits to UK and warmly welcomed. Capital punishment is condoned, but at that time, capital punishment was not only for murder.

quote:
Originally posted by betjemaniac:
quote:
Originally posted by Utrecht Catholic:

they allow practises that are not truly Anglican?

Well personally I think anything outside the 39 Articles and BCP is a bit outre... There is no expectation in the 1662 variant that communion will be weekly.
Maybe it is not stated in so many words. But the rubrics that at that service the sermon will be preached, and that banns and other notices given out, strongly imply that is the expectation. Plus the fact that the liturgy is printed in the middle of the book, so that it will naturally open at the most-used service.

quote:
Originally posted by betjemaniac:
While interesting, what happens in Canada is largely irrelevant to what happens in England.
*snip*.

Not entirely. I posted, as did Pangolin, to underline that Anglican practice is wider than that of the English Church. Indeed, that Betjemaniac and others hold to the XXXIX as juridicial in effect is not in line with the Canadian or US churches' approach to them. CoE≈Anglicanism, and possibly CoE≠Anglicanism, but not CoE=Anglicanism.

The outer provinces have long had an effect on the CoE, viz., how New Zealand's synodical structures were replicated in the CoE i the last century; and how TEC's BCP steered much of the course of 20c prayer book revision.

quote:
Originally posted by Angloid:
Maybe it is not stated in so many words. But the rubrics that at that service the sermon will be preached, and that banns and other notices given out, strongly imply that is the expectation. Plus the fact that the liturgy is printed in the middle of the book, so that it will naturally open at the most-used service.

Let's see... Open's the book I have (I think my mother's or her mother's) in the middle. Oh, in the middle of the Hymns A&M. Find the last page of the actual prayer book which is p474. (Ah, the 39 Articles, that's handy). What is at p237 (halfway)? The Form of Solemnization of Matrimony, which follows the Order of Confirmation, which is preceeded by the two baptism services, and before those comes the The Order if the Administration of the Lord's Supper (p185).

My memory as a boy was that it was always hard to find the Communion service in the church prayer books, whereas finding Morning Prayer, the first proper service, was much easier. Also, the Collects, Epistles and Gospels for the Sundays of the year follow the orders for Morning and Evening Prayer.

Perhaps most interestingly for the current debate, is this rubric in the order for the Lord's Supper:
quote:
When the Minister giveth warning for the celebration of the holy Communion, (which he shall always do upon the Sunday, or some Holy-day, immediately preceding,) after the Sermon or Homily ended, he shall read this Exhortation following.

Dearly beloved, on ---day next I purpose, through God's assistance, to administer to all such as shall be religiously and devoutly disposed the most comfortable Sacrament of the Body and Blood of Christ;...

This seems to imply to me that according to the BCP, the Holy Communion was not a regular occurance since it required announcing in advance.

quote:
Originally posted by Ecclesiastical Flip-flop:
It is protestant extremists who are non-adherents of the Oxford Movement and the fruits thereof, who take a literal and fundamentalist view of the 39 Articles, as thogh these are divinely inspired and fell-down straight from Heaven. These are not articles of faith, but statements of how Anglicans felt about doctrinal tenets, during one period in history now long past. Some of these are a tall order to us living in the 21st century.

To give just two examples - "The Bishop of Rome hath no juridiction in this Realm of England." (I quote from memory.) But in modern times, two popes have made pastoral visits to UK and warmly welcomed. Capital punishment is condoned, but at that time, capital punishment was not only for murder.

I think you'll find- I may be mistaken and am happy to be corrected- that BXVI, at least visited as the head of state of the Vatican City State and not as Bishop of Rome as such. (Either way, I thought it was a pretty blatant and ultimately not very successful attempt by Brown's government to hold on to the Scottish RC vote, but that's by the by.)

Ecclesiastical Flip-flop, plenty of people in the CofE are what you describe as "non-adherents of the Oxford Movement" without being Protestant extremists. Nobody was an adherent of it until 1833 because until then it did not exist. In the history of the Church of England, it is the Oxford Movement that was an innovation. It's got little more claim to be traditional Anglicanism than Holy Trinity Brompton has. A lot of the things that Anglo-Catholics attribute to it, did not start to be advocated until a generation or two later. The real heyday of Anglo-Catholicism was the years after the Anglo-Catholic Congresses of the 1920s.

You may not like the 39 Articles. It may be that other provinces may have cut themselves loose from them. But as far as we are concerned, they are still endorsed by Canon A5.

Plenty of people may think the Holy Scriptures, the teachings of the Fathers and the ancient creeds are "a bit of a tall order to us living in the 21st century", but that doesn't mean they just belong to "one period in history now long past". Being a bit of a tall order to 21st century man or woman, does not make anything any less true.

Besides, the Bishop of Rome still has no jurisdiction in this realm. He can't collect Annates or Peter's Pence off CofE clergy. A Papal Bull doesn't change the law here. Nor does a Catholic annulment dissolve a marriage here.

What Enoch says is quite true, except for his narrow view of 'the history of the Church of England.' The whole point of the Oxford Movement was to insist that the history of the Church of England did not start in the 16th century, but that it was and is continuous with the Catholic Church present in these islands from at least half a millennium or more after the birth of Christ.

That's why some us get a bit edgy when others talk about 'the traditions of the C of E' but going back no further than the Book of Common Prayer and the 39 Articles.

Betjemaniac, I thought that it was clear that I was responding to L'Organiste's jab that I was living in the past. My description of what happens on the ground here in The Dominion was to explain that what was described as "the past" is, here, very much the present. That you sniffily dismiss what happens in another part of our global communion as "irrelevant" is condescending, and I would have thought, beneath you.

quote:
Betjemaniac, I thought that it was clear that I was responding to L'Organiste's jab that I was living in the past.

I apologise that it was clearly less clear that I was responding to the Canadian turn of the conversation, rather than you individually. I appreciate I could and should have used the quote function except I wasn't responding to you personally nor was yours the last post dealing with Canada at the time of my response.

quote:
My description of what happens on the ground here in The Dominion was to explain that what was described as "the past" is, here, very much the present.

Sure, but by the same token what is the present in Canada is not the present in England, and in a thread at least nominally about England I thought it was worth trying to (gently) go back to that.

Which leads us to...

quote:
That you sniffily dismiss what happens in another part of our global communion as "irrelevant" is condescending, and I would have thought, beneath you.

No. Leaving it at irrelevant would indeed be sniffy, and I should deserve picking up on it. What I said was *interesting*....but largely irrelevant.

Because it is interesting. I was interested. However, in the circs of the thread it's not going to be much use to the OP to say "but this is how they do things in Canada." Where it might be of *more* interest is to those in a position, should they indeed think so, to agitate for things to be more like Canada.

Finally, I am sorry that my words were so poorly chosen that they were apparently capable of your interpretation (particularly in re "sniffily") because that was neither what I was trying to say nor the spirit in which they were written. Any sniffs were happening in your head - as indeed was the condescension. This feels like an overreaction to a misunderstanding. Insofar as I could have helped avoid the misunderstanding through better choice of words and not posting while doing other things, I apologise.

Re: papal visits to the UK:

The visit by John-Paul II was a pastoral visit, funded by the RC church in the UK. The CofE made him welcome and there was a shared service in Canterbury Cathedral.

The visit by Benedict XVI was a state visit.

Betjemaniac, I thought that "sniffily" was being very generous to you. I can't speak for others on the Ship though.

quote:
Betjemaniac, I thought that "sniffily" was being very generous to you. I can't speak for others on the Ship though.

Oh. Well in that case it really wasn't clear then was it? Although in the same way you're attributing "sniffiness" erroneously to my post I can't help but (presumably also erroneously) attribute "personal attack" to yours...

Actually, you know what? 1480 posts in over however many years and never a cross word with anyone, then 2 people in one night impute all sorts of motivations to a (to me) fairly innocuous statement. OK. Bye.

Posted by Utrecht Catholic (# 14285) on :

Enoch,The Oxford Movement,was certainly an innovation,however this was necessary in order to correct the mistakes made at the Reformation.
I am not against the Reformation,however I am still of opinion that a lot of errors were made,
when one looks at this movement,one has to conclude was it was very often more Political rather than Theological.
Thanks to the Oecumenical Movement ,the Liturgical Movement and the Second Vatican Council,the Churches are willing today to listen to each other.
It would be a wise decision to revise the 39 Articles,already suggested by the late Dean Matthews of St.Paul;s in the sixties in the former century.
Otherwise it will remain an historical document,rather out of touch with the the current theology and practise of the Anglican Communion.
Two Non-Anglican Churches,The Church of Sweden and the Union of Utrecht,the Old-Catholics in full communion with Canterbury have never been asked to subscribe to the 39 Articles.

A comment

Ecclesiastical FlipFlops comment on the 39 Articles being they belonged to a specific time in history is good 'liberal' Reformed stance as adhered to by many UK Congregationalist both outside and inside the URC. You can see it in John Robinson's address to the Pilgrim Fathers if you want historical evidence and it is the URC statement of Nature Faith and Order for a more recent statement.

The Anglican approach is perhaps better characterised by John Newman's postmodern reading of them.

Jengie

*'liberal' means loose holding to the status Reformed Magisterium orthodox consensus and thus adopting certain aspects of the Radical Reformation. It does not mean Liberal theologically or morally though sometimes associated with those but ever so often is also associated with the conservative forms.

Clearly the XXXIX Articles mean different things to different people. Similarly devised during that era in history were the Westminster Confessions and the Augsburg Confessions. It is interesting to note that worldwide, these articles are left out of local equivalents of the Book of Common Prayer, such as in the USA and in South Africa; also in Prayer Book revision in England, such as the 1980 Book and in Common Worship, the latter in present-day use.
I am slightly amused at the suggestion that I may not like them, for in the 16th century when they were devised, there was clearly a need for them at that time. But today, they are not there to be liked or disliked, but remain as for historical reference.
“The Bishop of Rome” is one of many titles by which the Pope is referred to in that one Article. Other titles are – The Patriarch of the West; Vicar of Jesus Christ on Earth; Servant of the Servants of God; to name just a few. If the reigning Pope of the day came to visit the UK (including England) in 1984 and 2010, he might as well have come under any, or all of these titles. It gives a point to ponder that John-Paul II came on a pastoral visit and Benedict came on a state visit; for whichever of these two motives was designated at the time, I think effectively, both motives featured on each of these two occasions. For on each occasion, HM the Queen featured.

quote:
It is interesting to note that worldwide, these articles are left out of local equivalents of the Book of Common Prayer, such as in the USA . . . .

The XXXIX Articles are in the 1979 American BCP.

quote:
quote:
It is interesting to note that worldwide, these articles are left out of local equivalents of the Book of Common Prayer, such as in the USA . . . .

The XXXIX Articles are in the 1979 American BCP.
I have a copy of an American Prayer Book; I will have to check my information there.

Page 867. The section is entitled “Historical Documents of the Church.” That section follows the Catechism and includes the Definition of Chalcedon (451), the Athanasian Creed, the Preface to the 1549 BCP, the Articles and the Chicago–Lambeth Quadrilateral (1886, 1888).

quote:
Page 867. The section is entitled “Historical Documents of the Church.” That section follows the Catechism and includes the Definition of Chalcedon (451), the Athanasian Creed, the Preface to the 1549 BCP, the Articles and the Chicago–Lambeth Quadrilateral (1886, 1888).

Thanks Nick Tamen. I am not at home as I write this, but I will have a look.

quote:

I am slightly amused at the suggestion that I may not like them, for in the 16th century when they were devised, there was clearly a need for them at that time. But today, they are not there to be liked or disliked, but remain as for historical reference.

I think that they are of somewhat greater significance in the CofE than mere historical reference. On ordination, or on induction (etc.), a clerk in holy orders must make the declaration of assent, to which the preface is:
quote:
The Church of England is part of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church worshipping the one true God, Father, Son and Holy Spirit. It professes the faith uniquely revealed in the Holy Scriptures and set forth in the catholic creeds, which faith the Church is called upon to proclaim afresh in each generation. Led by the Holy Spirit, it has borne witness to Christian truth in its historic formularies, the Thirty-nine Articles of Religion, The Book of Common Prayer and the Ordering of Bishops, Priests and Deacons. In the declaration you are about to make will you affirm your loyalty to this inheritance of faith as your inspiration and guidance under God in bringing the grace and truth of Christ to this generation and making him known to those in your care?
To which the clerk responds with the Declaration of Assent:
quote:
I, A B, do so affirm, and accordingly declare my belief in the faith which is revealed in the Holy Scriptures and set forth in the catholic creeds and to which the historic formularies of the Church of England bear witness; and in public prayer and administration of the sacraments, I will use only the forms of service which are authorized or allowed by Canon.
So, the official line is that the 39 articles "bear witness to Christian truth" and a loyalty to them is required of the ordained. It has to be admitted that this is a watering down from the 1662 version.

Posted by Callan (# 525) on :

quote:

In the 16th Century this was a live issue. The Bishop of Rome, prior to the Reformation did have jurisdiction in this realm of England. That's not quite the same as a state visit which is basically, the Bishop of Rome turning up and saying "Oh Hai!". The Articles of Religion are quite cool with that.

[ 08. February 2018, 15:12: Message edited by: Callan ]

quote:
Originally posted by Higgs Bosun:
quote:

I think that they are of somewhat greater significance in the CofE than mere historical reference. On ordination, or on induction (etc.), a clerk in holy orders must make the declaration of assent, to which the preface is:
quote:
The Church of England is part of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church worshipping the one true God, Father, Son and Holy Spirit. It professes the faith uniquely revealed in the Holy Scriptures and set forth in the catholic creeds, which faith the Church is called upon to proclaim afresh in each generation. Led by the Holy Spirit, it has borne witness to Christian truth in its historic formularies, the Thirty-nine Articles of Religion, The Book of Common Prayer and the Ordering of Bishops, Priests and Deacons. In the declaration you are about to make will you affirm your loyalty to this inheritance of faith as your inspiration and guidance under God in bringing the grace and truth of Christ to this generation and making him known to those in your care?
To which the clerk responds with the Declaration of Assent:
quote:
I, A B, do so affirm, and accordingly declare my belief in the faith which is revealed in the Holy Scriptures and set forth in the catholic creeds and to which the historic formularies of the Church of England bear witness; and in public prayer and administration of the sacraments, I will use only the forms of service which are authorized or allowed by Canon.
So, the official line is that the 39 articles "bear witness to Christian truth" and a loyalty to them is required of the ordained. It has to be admitted that this is a watering down from the 1662 version.

Yes, I am aware of this exhortation and I have heard it hundreds of time. A few times, I have been present at the ordination/consecration of a new bishop. Later in the day, they held another service to mark the occasion, by officiating at a service of Benediction of the Most Blessed Sacrament. A seeming contradiction, but there you go!

quote:
Originally posted by Callan:
quote:

In the 16th Century this was a live issue. The Bishop of Rome, prior to the Reformation did have jurisdiction in this realm of England. That's not quite the same as a state visit which is basically, the Bishop of Rome turning up and saying "Oh Hai!". The Articles of Religion are quite cool with that.
To cut a long story short, the Church has moved on since the 16th century and division like that is a legacy of history. It goes without saying that the Pope/Bishop of Rome before the Reformation, did have Jurisdiction is This Realm of England. You know as well as I do, that being a Roman Catholic in those penal times, was a treasonable offence, punishable by death by being burnt at the stake.

Posted by Corvo (# 15220) on :

quote:
quote:
quote:

To cut a long story short, the Church has moved on since the 16th century and division like that is a legacy of history. It goes without saying that the Pope/Bishop of Rome before the Reformation, did have Jurisdiction is This Realm of England. You know as well as I do, that being a Roman Catholic in those penal times, was a treasonable offence, punishable by death by being burnt at the stake.
It was a bit more complicated than that: https://www.catholic.com/encyclopedia/penal-laws

For the most part lay people were fined for not attending the C of E; priests ran the risk of execution (by hanging, drawing and quartering).

Posted by RdrEmCofE (# 17511) on :

in 65 years of experience in the CofE I have reached a conclusion on how incoming vicars should proceed in leadership.

My simple adage would be:

(1) If it works, don't even try to fix it.

(2) If by general agreement it does not work, then help the congregation to fix it.

(3) If the vicar's foresight and insight tells him/her that though something is only working tolerably well at present but is becoming less effective and in need of replacement, then share your vision of how the church might move forward together to become even more effective in being Christ's 'church'.

The problem as I see it is that some vicars go straight into (3) without sharing their vision and without bringing as many as possible of the congregation along with it.

They see themselves as a Moses figure leading a difficult and recalcitrant tribe, striding out purposefully but leaving the lame and infants far behind in the wilderness, wondering why they don't know where they are going, why they are 'going' and what all the God damned hurry is about anyway.

Posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider (# 76) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Corvo:
quote:
quote:
quote:

It was a bit more complicated than that: https://www.catholic.com/encyclopedia/penal-laws

For the most part lay people were fined for not attending the C of E; priests ran the risk of execution (by hanging, drawing and quartering).

You have to ask what the point of the church was at this point in history don't you? I mean, if it can't distance itself from religiously motivated murder then it really is struggling to see how it was Salt and Light. Where was the Holy Spirit's guiding?

I'm inclined to recall my "Has God Failed Again?" thread, probably now in Limbo somewhere.

quote:
Originally posted by Corvo:
quote:
quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ecclesiastical Flip-flop:
[qb] It is protestant extremists who are non-adherents of the Oxford Movement and the fruits thereof, who take a literal and fundamentalist view of the 39 Articles, as thogh these are divinely inspired and fell-down straight from Heaven. These are not articles of faith, but statements of how Anglicans felt about doctrinal tenets, during one period in history now long past. Some of these are a tall order to us living in the 21st century.

quote:

Of course it was a bit more complicated than that. Each time I post on this topic, I cannot put it all there.

quote:
Originally posted by RdrEmCofE:
in 65 years of experience in the CofE I have reached a conclusion on how incoming vicars should proceed in leadership.

(2) If by general agreement it does not work, then help the congregation to fix it.

(3) If the vicar's foresight and insight tells him/her that though something is only working tolerably well at present but is becoming less effective and in need of replacement, then share your vision of how the church might move forward together to become even more effective in being Christ's 'church'.

The problem as I see it is that some vicars go straight into (3) without sharing their vision and without bringing as many as possible of the congregation along with it.

They see themselves as a Moses figure leading a difficult and recalcitrant tribe, striding out purposefully but leaving the lame and infants far behind in the wilderness, wondering why they don't know where they are going, why they are 'going' and what all the God damned hurry is about anyway.

1. What do you mean by "working"?

2. The hurry? Well, people are dying without support and without Christ. isn't that enough?

What has [2] got to do with the situation in the OP?

Posted by Poppy (# 2000) on :

quote:

When I arrived at my current church I found a lot that was broken. Mostly the congregation didn't notice it as it had been that way for twenty years. As far as some of them were concerned it wasn't broken. It was however profoundly inward focused with a club mentality. For them it was comfortable and safe and I understand that but being a disciple isn't about being safe. Changing culture is hard and can't be done overnight.

quote:
Originally posted by Poppy:
It was however profoundly inward focused with a club mentality. For them it was comfortable and safe and I understand that but being a disciple isn't about being safe. Changing culture is hard and can't be done overnight.

This.

quote:
When I arrived at my current church I found a lot that was broken. Mostly the congregation didn't notice it as it had been that way for twenty years. As far as some of them were concerned it wasn't broken. It was however profoundly inward focused with a club mentality. For them it was comfortable and safe and I understand that but being a disciple isn't about being safe.

In some cases it is worse than this - they *know* that things are broken but would rather stick with it than change.

A priest at one church told me of the opposition he'd encountered from elderly congregants when he first arrived - they knew the parish was dying but quite openly said that as long as it lasted long enough to see them out that was all they cared about...

quote:
[ ! ] 1. What do you mean by "working"?
Almost any church that has any 'regenerate members' left is at least semi functional in some respect or other. Otherwise they would not have ever even got a new vicar. (They are in ever increasingly short supply). If prayerfulness is the last remaining 'working' function of an otherwise dying church, then 'prayer' needs to be encouraged and valued, not discarded by the new incumbent as 'not sufficiently productive in putting paying bums on seats'. The same goes for any other still functioning activity.

'Working' means any function which remains operational concerning the mission Christ has for the church in that location. (It might be something as non 'religious' as a youth group or drama society or toddlers group full of very nominally religious slum dwelling mums). It could be a socially cohesive and well established traditional Choir, (but in need of spiritual direction) to spiritually focus its already professional performance abilities. : A difficult one this, as there are many talented singers who do not understand their key role in leading worship but do it just for the joy of singing. (and there's no shame in that).

quote:
2. The hurry? Well, people are dying without support and without Christ. isn't that enough?
Well yes. BUT 'The poor will always be with you'. Don't make your elderly parishioners give up BCP and replace Matins with a Sally Army style tambourine and saxophone spectacular on a Wednesday morning, because perhaps the 'change' will bring floods of young, enthusiastic percussionists wanting to join the church.

Being church is not about adopting the latest entertainment techniques, it is about discovering its purpose for Christ, in the context of its locality and that could be simply to love and support one another in decline.

The greatest failure of Christ was his greatest victory and conquest. The most unrealistic expectation from congregations, from new vicars is 'success', the kind of success that gets measured by money in the bank and bums on pews.

quote:
A priest at one church told me of the opposition he'd encountered from elderly congregants when he first arrived - they knew the parish was dying but quite openly said that as long as it lasted long enough to see them out that was all they cared about...
My wife and I moved into a small country benefice. As priest in charge of 3 churches she suggested to the PCC that we should begin to pray over some weeks to discover the needs and future direction of each church. We were told, "WE tried that and it does not work". That was when we realized there was an uphill task ahead. Their suggestion for changes to worship was drop the sermon and add two more hymns.

quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:

For the most part lay people were fined for not attending the C of E; priests ran the risk of execution (by hanging, drawing and quartering). [/qb][/QUOTE]You have to ask what the point of the church was at this point in history don't you? I mean, if it can't distance itself from religiously motivated murder then it really is struggling to see how it was Salt and Light. Where was the Holy Spirit's guiding?

I'm inclined to recall my "Has God Failed Again?" thread, probably now in Limbo somewhere. [/QB][/QUOTE]
As i understand it, and very generally, RC executions of Protestants were religously motivated,the crime being heresy. 'CofE' punishment /execution of RCs was politically motivated, the crime being treason or at least disputing the authority of the Crown. There is a difference.

quote:
Originally posted by dj_ordinaire:
quote:
When I arrived at my current church I found a lot that was broken. Mostly the congregation didn't notice it as it had been that way for twenty years. As far as some of them were concerned it wasn't broken. It was however profoundly inward focused with a club mentality. For them it was comfortable and safe and I understand that but being a disciple isn't about being safe.

In some cases it is worse than this - they *know* that things are broken but would rather stick with it than change.

I've had that experience, almost. Not verbalised in quite that way but I got the drift.

Of course a new vicar, if s/he has any vision and guts, will want to change attitudes like that. However, as I understood the situation in the OP, it is much more a clash of understanding and priorities: the new vicar sees the priority of drawing in new people to - perhaps - a more evangelically-focussed, personal faith in Christ; the existing congregation is comfortable to be a eucharistic community. There can be, and probably is, much complacency and self-righteousness about both perspectives.

In the current culture wars in the C of E, it's asking for trouble to appoint a non-sacramental evangelical to a traditional eucharistically-based congregation. There are many priests with the vision and imagination to reinvigorate such a parish without disturbing the basic pattern and structure of worship.

Can you?

They can always back peddle until you leave.

Jengie

Posted by Forthview (# 12376) on :

Albertus - I'm not sure how you separate in the 16th and 17th century politics and religion.
Whilst it is quite true that Catholics were generally persecuted as being traitors to the Crown with hundreds of both priests and laypeople being put to death, Catholicism would have been seen as contrary to the 'established' form of religion, so it was in a way 'heretical'.
Of course I do not condone the Marian (and of course also Henrician) execution of Protestants, no more than I expect you would nowadays approve of the execution of Catholics.

It does, however, seem to me a bit of a cop-out to say that the Catholics were executed simply for political reasons.

We had the same problems here in Scotland during the 'Killing times' in the 17th century when the upholders of Episcopacy persecuted the upholders of Presbyterianism ( and vice versa) Without going into details this was an explosive mixture of politics and religion.

'in a way'... you can stretch things a very long way with that term, can't you?
I certainly wouldn't approve of the execution of RCs. But insofar as- and that's a very big proviso and I don't know how far there were any- there were people who, whether for religious or other reasons, were actively conspiring against the Crown or were consciously giving their support to those who were, I do not think it was unreasonable to take action against them.

It was certainly the case that the Pope excommunicated Elizabeth Tudor and declared that oaths made to her didn't need to be honoured. Given that there were successive Catholic plots to have her overthrown it's hardly surprising she became less tolerant. James VI & I was likewise made more wary by repeated attempts on his life.

Please note there were equivalent Protestant/Puritan 'Martyrs' in the reign of Charles II. You can see one case if you do not believe me.

Jengie

I think we are a long way from the OP here and well into Purgatorial territory.

If anyone wants to pursue this tangent, perhaps a new thread in an appropriate place would be worth opening. This thread could then resume it's original course.

Your cooperation, as ever, appreciated.

dj_ordinaire, Eccles host

The punishment inflicted is the indication of the offence. Partly as a result of the declarations of the Pope, some Catholics were a threat to the Crown (both Elizabeth and James) and so were punished by drawing, hanging an quartering. The Protestants under Mary (and, incidentally, the Lollards up to and including the time of Henry VIII) were punished by burning at the stake, the punishment for Heresy. They did not represent anything like the same threat to the Crown.

The irony is that Mary's treatment of the Protestant martyrs led to Fox's Book of Martyrs, which was something which provoked anti-Catholic sentiment, and so contributed to England turning more to Protestantism at a popular level.

I don't think Puzzler's new vicar - much though most clergy probably in their worst moments have occasionally wished it - has the power either to burn or to hang, draw and quarter stubborn, recalcitrant or even back-biting parishioners.

You're kidding? I've been doing it for years.

quote:
quote:
[ ! ] [QUOTE]2. The hurry? Well, people are dying without support and without Christ. isn't that enough?
Well yes. BUT 'The poor will always be with you'. Don't make your elderly parishioners give up BCP and replace Matins with a Sally Army style tambourine and saxophone spectacular on a Wednesday morning, because perhaps the 'change' will bring floods of young, enthusiastic percussionists wanting to join the church.

Being church is not about adopting the latest entertainment techniques, it is about discovering its purpose for Christ, in the context of its locality and that could be simply to love and support one another in decline.

The greatest failure of Christ was his greatest victory and conquest. The most unrealistic expectation from congregations, from new vicars is 'success', the kind of success that gets measured by money in the bank and bums on pews.

I don't think I've ever said that church is about success. It's about faithfulness as far as I can see: faithfulness to that fellowship's call to minister to its community in a way that is relevant and which is contextually appropriate.

I agree wholeheartedly that wholesale changes in practice aren't likely to bring anything about apart from division. What might be needed - as it is surely for us all - is for our hearts to be transformed by Christ. That's way harder than changing what we do.

No it's not about technique at all - it's about people. Preach the word, build up the saints, reach the lost. Simple isn't it? Trouble is there are a lot of churches around who've missed even these simple points -- reaching the lost being the most likely to be missed. To make a church winsome requires change and often we who are already there, are the least likely to see what change is needed.

Prompted by the thread a

Prompted by the thread about Ash Weds and St Valentine’s Day and discussion of which Collect, can anyone confirm that in BCP Evensong it is mandatory to say all three Collects?
We had just one yesterday.

Well, I don't know exactly how mandatory it is, but it's certainly the usual custom to say the Collect of the Day, followed by the Second and Third Collects.

The Third Collect, for Aid against all Perils, must surely be one of the best-known Anglican prayers.

Why on earth would you leave any two out, except to shorten the service by a few seconds?

[Disappointed]

IJ

How mandatory are the rubrics? The rubrics say three. You only need to check in the BCP to find that out.

Jengie

Posted by Poppy (# 2000) on :

quote:
Prompted by the thread about Ash Weds and St Valentine’s Day and discussion of which Collect, can anyone confirm that in BCP Evensong it is mandatory to say all three Collects?
We had just one yesterday.

As someone who has been the new vicar may I suggest talking to the cleric concerned? It may be that the new vicar is not familiar with the BCP and doesn't know that it is custom and practice to do all three collects. As a curate I was delighted that there was a very wise sacristan who taught me how to do the service as it was not my tradition.

One of the hardest things about being a new vicar is that the parish assumes that their way of doing things is the only way of doing things. They then get cross when the new vicar doesn't have a psychic moment and know that they have by custom and practice added this bit of the 1928 service to the BCP standard or they kept this other bit of high AC ritual during Lent that a previous vicar introduced in 1953 despite the fact that the church has slid down the candle quite a way since then.

I have put my foot down about processions. I'm sure that there is much wailing and bemoaning the changes the nasty new vicar has made but never to my face oddly enough. Unfortunately what worked when the church was full with a complete altar party is very different from today when we might have 30 in the congregation with one server with a dodgy knee who walks with a stick. Not processing doesn't mean we love Jesus any the less but we are being realistic about where the church is now and that is probably where it hurts.

quote:
One of the hardest things about being a new vicar is that the parish assumes that their way of doing things is the only way of doing things. They then get cross when the new vicar doesn't have a psychic moment ...

Yes, I only discovered that our Christmas Eve service was Communion by chance, a few days before. The church leaders had simply assumed that all churches have communion at "Midnight Mass" but in fact I've not encountered it at the other churches I've served! Fortunately we had a bit of a laugh about it and it wasn't a problem, we may discuss our future practice at some point though.

An outgoing Rector, whom I have just said goodbye to, as he was leaving for pastures new, related how one parishioner said to him when he first came, "But we don't have a sermon at the 8 o'clock early Communion service!" "Well, you do now!", replied the then new Rector.

quote:
It may be that the new vicar is not familiar with the BCP and doesn't know that it is custom and practice to do all three collects.

I'm not a particular fan of the BCP, but it's one of the fundamental documents of the Anglican liturgical tradition. Evensong (choral or a less musically-elaborate version) is one of the classic elements of that. If clergy are being let loose upon parishes without a basic knowledge of the tradition, or of liturgical principles in general, something is very wrong.

Of course, the priest in Puzzler's church may be very familiar with all that and simply have his/her own reasons for doing something different. Provided it has a clear rationale and is well-explained there's no problem. But anecdotal evidence suggests that many of today's clergy are both liturgically and pastorally inept.

quote:
An outgoing Rector, whom I have just said goodbye to, as he was leaving for pastures new, related how one parishioner said to him when he first came, "But we don't have a sermon at the 8 o'clock early Communion service!" "Well, you do now!", replied the then new Rector.

Probably the sort of parishioner who said 'we just want the pure and simple Prayer Book service.' To which the answer would have been much the same.

I suspect it was also that parishioner who was somewhat surprised to find that the Prayer Book service, pure and simple, contained the full Decalogue, Collect for the Queen, Exhortation, and a homily from the book of homilies...

....but was refused Communion because he had not signified his name to the Curate the day before....

[Two face]

IJ

quote:
I suspect it was also that parishioner who was somewhat surprised to find that the Prayer Book service, pure and simple, contained the full Decalogue, Collect for the Queen, Exhortation, and a homily from the book of homilies...

....but was refused Communion because he had not signified his name to the Curate the day before....

[Two face]

IJ

A reasonable matter of conjecture, but a specially printed booklet was prepared for Holy Communion in traditional language, according to the choices and ways of doing things of this Rector. I go to this service at that church mid-week; it doesn't matter to me whether it is traditional or contemporary language and I don't mind either way.

The prayer for the Queen is left out, as is the Decalogue; the summary of Christ's Law is invariably used. The readings are for the day, rather than for the previous Sunday. The Agnus Dei is inserted between the Prayer of Consecration and the receiving of Communion. The Prayer of Oblation, is the invariable use at the post-communion, to the exclusion of the Thanksgiving Prayer.

This Rector (Mirfield trained) explained to me once, that he liked to handle the elements during the saying of the Prayer of Oblation - moved from pre- to post-communion. In his words to me, "The handling of the elements in this way is important. As in German, the verb goes to the end, this goes to the end as well."

B. F. Your other mentions are archaic, of course!

BTW I don't know who the parishioner is or was and whether or not they are still on the scene.

Archaic?

Yea, verily, but yet in ye rubricks....

IJ

quote:
anecdotal evidence suggests that many of today's clergy are both liturgically and pastorally inept.

Sadly, that is undeniably true. The introduction of Common Worship in the C of E was supposed to be an opportunity to encourage clergy to become more liturgically adept and creative. Sadly, all it seems to have done is give clergy the freedom to indulge their own preferences without any regard to even mild levels of good practice and liturgical tradition.

Bodging up something as basic as a BCP service is baffling.

Having been around while a curate trained with St Mellitus college, liturgy wasn't part of that course. The expectation was that liturgy was taught by the training incumbent.

Posted by Evensong (# 14696) on :

quote:

[Overused]

As a new vicar one year in, Amen I say and amen. [Big Grin]

quote:
Well, I don't know exactly how mandatory it is, but it's certainly the usual custom to say the Collect of the Day, followed by the Second and Third Collects.

The Third Collect, for Aid against all Perils, must surely be one of the best-known Anglican prayers.

Why on earth would you leave any two out, except to shorten the service by a few seconds?

[Disappointed]

IJ

While I do obey this ancient tradition when I do BCP, I think it's bad liturgical theology. A collect collects together a theme. One theme. Not scatters three.

quote:
The introduction of Common Worship in the C of E was supposed to be an opportunity to encourage clergy to become more liturgically adept and creative. Sadly, all it seems to have done is give clergy the freedom to indulge their own preferences without any regard to even mild levels of good practice and liturgical tradition.

Another step towards Nonconformism, then? [Two face]

quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
The expectation was that liturgy was taught by the training incumbent.

[Killing me] [Killing me] [Killing me] [Killing me]

Well, this particular training incumbent had been a director of ordinands and had an interest in liturgy, so, yes, this curate was trained in liturgy. But I could see that this might not always be the case.

St Mellitus had a lot of input from HTB in setting up this training facility.

quote:
quote:
anecdotal evidence suggests that many of today's clergy are both liturgically and pastorally inept.

Sadly, that is undeniably true. The introduction of Common Worship in the C of E was supposed to be an opportunity to encourage clergy to become more liturgically adept and creative...
And why the blue blazes would you want the CofE clergy to be 'liturgically creative'? Get some good liturgy (which the CofE has on the whole a tradition of) and then get the clergy to use it without sodding it about. Say the black, do the red. Job done.

'Creative' perhaps in the sense of using appropriate seasonal alternatives, where provided, for instance?

Otherwise, yes - say the black, and do the red.

IJ

Perhaps seasonal alternatives, yes: personally I think they can be overdone but that's probably just a matter of personal taste.

quote:
Archaic?

Yea, verily, but yet in ye rubricks....

IJ

I apologise if Archaic was the wrong word. All I wanted to do was to explain the use of BCP Communion as devised by this Rector in his church.

posted by Angloid
quote:
But anecdotal evidence suggests that many of today's clergy are both liturgically and pastorally inept.

IME that can be re-written thus:
quote:
It is evident that many of today's clergy are inept.
As I've pointed out on this and other threads, it takes a particular kind of hubris and ineptitude to be unable to read from a large-print copy on a reading desk, or to follow simple instructions such as "give out the hymn number here".

quote:
quote:
quote:

Sadly, that is undeniably true. The introduction of Common Worship in the C of E was supposed to be an opportunity to encourage clergy to become more liturgically adept and creative...
And why the blue blazes would you want the CofE clergy to be 'liturgically creative'? Get some good liturgy (which the CofE has on the whole a tradition of) and then get the clergy to use it without sodding it about. Say the black, do the red. Job done.
"Back in the day" (ie when CW was being introduced), Bishop Colin Buchanan came up with an enlightening metaphor. I may be about to misquote him, but it was something like this:

The BCP is basically like a frozen meal. All you have to do is reheat it. In fact, do NOT try and do anything else with it because you will just end up with a mess.

The ASB was like an "a la carte" restaurant, where you could choose from a menu ("choose any one item from section a and any one item from section b").

Common Worship is like being given the ingredients and then having the chance to cook your own meal.

The point he was making was that to get the most out of CW, you had to have developed some basic "cooking" skills. You can always just take the pre-prepared service provided in CW, but that isn't actually what CW was intended to do.

But *why*? Cooking your own liturgy is not the CofE's tradition. It is, as I understand it, a Reformed tradition, and that's fine. But a common- and I mean very substantially common- liturgy is one of the core parts of the CofE's identity. Not, I think, that Colin Buchanan was ever particularly in the CofE mainstream, as far as identity went.

[ 13. February 2018, 19:34: Message edited by: Albertus ]

Well, in a way, I miss the little eau-de-nil Series 3 Communion booklet of 1973!

For all its shortcomings, it was user-friendly, IMHO, with clear type (say the black, do the blue, IIRC).

There are authorised CW booklets out there - the Additional Curates Society publishes one, which follows CW pretty closely (adding in one or two Carflick bits).

On studying one, I saw that it would do very nicely at Our Place for the usual Sunday/weekday Eucharists, with everything the congregation needs.

Seasonal bits (Invitation to Confession, The Peace, Preface, Blessing/Dismissal) said by the priest don't have to appear in print in the people's book.

IJ

quote:
But *why*? Cooking your own liturgy is not the CofE's tradition. ...

Isn't it? It strikes me as being very much part of the Anglo-Catholic tradition to claim to know better than the Prayer Book, to change the order in which things happen, and to try to get away with inserting extra bits purloined from either the 1549 prayer book or the Roman Missal depending on taste.

quote:
Isn't it? It strikes me as being very much part of the Anglo-Catholic tradition to claim to know better than the Prayer Book,
Wasn't The Prayer Book itself a new recipe for prayer built upon the foundation of what went before but influenced by new theological insights.

Cranmer was a 'Chef' par excellence, was he not.

quote:
quote:

Isn't it? It strikes me as being very much part of the Anglo-Catholic tradition to claim to know better than the Prayer Book, to change the order in which things happen, and to try to get away with inserting extra bits purloined from either the 1549 prayer book or the Roman Missal depending on taste.
You're quite right Enoch. Some of the same people would go to stake in order to have bishops but cut off their right hands rather than obey one.

But I suppose they would argue, we're not cooking our own liturgy; we are attempting to reclaim the liturgy of the Catholic Church which is ours by right. Or something like that. Also,in practice, however idiosyncratic some priests and churches were with their liturgy, they would use the same rite week after week, day after day. Unlike some modern experimentalists who chop and change all the time. There is a difference.

ISTM that poor Cranmer became embroiled in the political brouhaha of his time, and was (I suppose) forced, in a sense, to change the 1549 English version of the Mass to the odd concoction of 1552.

One wonders what might have transpired if 1549 had remained the norm.

IJ

quote:
quote:

but that's not 'cooking your own'

Posted by georgiaboy (# 11294) on :

quote:
ISTM that poor Cranmer became embroiled in the political brouhaha of his time, and was (I suppose) forced, in a sense, to change the 1549 English version of the Mass to the odd concoction of 1552.

One wonders what might have transpired if 1549 had remained the norm.

IJ

Cranmer was to some extent 'a very flexible man.' Henry 8's lapdog/attack poodle in the matter of The Divorce, constantly being swayed by continental reformers in matters theological/liturgical. Recanting his protestant faith under Q Mary (but then withdrawing the recantation before going to the stake.
All but the more virulent/violent prods would today, I think, agree that 1549 was much better than 1552.

On the subject of liturgical style/literacy, however, he was hard to beat.

And certainly in the political mess that followed the death of King Henry, neither he nor King Edward was equal to the power politics of the Privy Council.

quote:

It is if you're the one who chooses which bits to add or leave out where, and which cupboard you take them from. It is, even more, if you get to choose when you can look down your noses at those who don't make exactly the same selection as you do.

quote:
Originally posted by georgiaboy:
... All but the more virulent/violent prods would today, I think, agree that 1549 was much better than 1552. ...

Terrible though it may seem even to whisper such a thing on this board, but I don't think many regular churchgoers, whether virulent/violent prods, easy-going MotRers, or even quite a lot of affable AffCaths either know or care.

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by georgiaboy:
... All but the more virulent/violent prods would today, I think, agree that 1549 was much better than 1552. ...

Terrible though it may seem even to whisper such a thing on this board, but I don't think many regular churchgoers, whether virulent/violent prods, easy-going MotRers, or even quite a lot of affable AffCaths either know or care.
And according to Diarmaid McCulloch's bio of Blessèd Thomas, the martyr preferred 1552 over 1549, which he felt made far too many concessions to the unadvanced. The 1549 is closer to the TEC, South African, and Canadian books than the 1552, but that is perhaps for another thread.

I don't think there is any "perhaps" about it! [Cool]

/slight tangent alert/

IIRC, the 1549 Communion rite is still available for use in the C of E, though I think you need the Bishop's permission. It sometimes gets 're-enacted' liturgically, as part of a training course, for example.

Having said that, the service booklet would need to be rendered in modern spelling!

Here is the first part of the service, rendered as a Low Mass without music - not a particularly high quality film, BTW, but sufficient to give a flavour of this first English-language Mass.

IJ

quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
I don't think there is any "perhaps" about it! [Cool]

"Perhaps" is Anglican-speak for "certainly."

quote:
... Here is the first part of the service, rendered as a Low Mass without music - not a particularly high quality film, BTW, but sufficient to give a flavour of this first English-language Mass. ...

I accept that the sound quality isn't very good, but as an illustration of what I'm complaining about when I've described on these boards a typical Anglo-Catholic Communion Service of 50 years ago as "turn your back on the congregation, hunch over the altar and mumble" that could hardly be bettered.

To think that our new vicar could have been of that ilk!

When considering what sort of person was wanted, the PCC stated a preference , if forced to one extreme or the other, for low church rather than ultra high, so in that respect we got what we wanted. Just wish he would prepare properly for worship, not have to ask someone half way through.

@Enoch - well, I didn't say I particularly liked the flavour!

[Razz]

@Puzzler - I agree that good preparation is essential, however familiar or unfamiliar the liturgy might be. There's no excuse for sloppiness, which is unworthy of the Lord we are supposed to be worshipping.

IJ

Equally true for Nonconformists, by the way - I hate sloppy rambling unthoughtout services.

I expect the same could apply to RC services - one hears of slap-dash Masses, edifying to neither beast or man.

IJ

quote:
quote:

It is if you're the one who chooses which bits to add or leave out where, and which cupboard you take them from. It is, even more, if you get to choose when you can look down your noses at those who don't make exactly the same selection as you do.
No - did the whole of it, not bits - when I was in an urban priority area, the Roman Rite suited the level of literacy of the congregation - they couldn't cope woth the verbosity to which Anglican liturgies are prone.

quote:
Originally posted by Augustine the Aleut:
[QUOTE] ...according to Diarmaid McCulloch's bio of Blessèd Thomas, the martyr preferred 1552 over 1549, which he felt made far too many concessions to the unadvanced.

That is certainly my understanding. One interesting question is what Cranmer might have done had he been allowed to continue for a few more years. As far as I can see, even 1552 was not the end product as far as he was concerned.

All- age worship (Morning Prayer) this morning.
Service lasted 44 minutes and that included about 10 minutes of extraneous material ie various additional notices, welcome to a new family, a birthday, with three lots of applause......no psalm, no canticles, no robes, no candles, no choir, piano not organ, no reverence, sermon of dubious theology, lost his place because he swapped the order around.
Can I bear to go again?

quote:
[Enoch] I accept that the sound quality isn't very good, but as an illustration of what I'm complaining about when I've described on these boards a typical Anglo-Catholic Communion Service of 50 years ago as "turn your back on the congregation, hunch over the altar and mumble" that could hardly be bettered.
Yes but you can thank the Oxford Movement for all that.

Cranmer would have had the altar in the nave, with the priest facing North, not East.

Posted by SvitlanaV2 (# 16967) on :

quote:
All- age worship (Morning Prayer) this morning.
Service lasted 44 minutes and that included about 10 minutes of extraneous material ie various additional notices, welcome to a new family, a birthday, with three lots of applause......no psalm, no canticles, no robes, no candles, no choir, piano not organ, no reverence, sermon of dubious theology, lost his place because he swapped the order around.
Can I bear to go again?

I suppose it all depends on your expectations, but at least it was only 44 minutes.

RdrEmCofE said:
quote:
Cranmer would have had the altar in the nave, with the priest facing North, not East.
On the north side of the Lord's Table, facing south, I think you mean.

[Roll Eyes]

@Puzzler - sounds pretty dire, but it need not necessarily be so. An All-Age service could well include robes (alb and stole), candles (2 on the altar), piano, and reverence.

It need not include 10 minutes of notices, applause, faffing around because of lack of preparation, or a sermon of dubious theology (though that's perhaps a subjective opinion).

IJ

Does anyone know enough about the 1549 prayer book to know whether the priest continued to face east with his back to the congregation, as in the previous Latin version and as in the youtube? My impression is that the instruction to be on the north side wouldn't have come in until either 1552 or 1559, but I don't know.

quote:
Does anyone know enough about the 1549 prayer book to know whether the priest continued to face east with his back to the congregation, as in the previous Latin version and as in the youtube? My impression is that the instruction to be on the north side wouldn't have come in until either 1552 or 1559, but I don't know.

On this continued tangent....The rubric just before the Great Thanksgiving reads:
quote:
Then the Priest, turnyng hym to the Altar, shall saye or syng, playnly and distinctly, this prayer folowyng...
and in two other places the rubrics direct the priest to either face the Holy Table or Lord's Borde, or to turn and face the people. This would suggest that 1549 assumed ad orientem celebrations, but it wouldn't surprise me if some of the more "advanced" clergy had already introduced north-ending it. As well, the rubrics direct that communicants "tary in the quire," women on one side, men on the other, before receiving.

© Ship of Fools 2016