Thread: What is your earworm today? Board: Oblivion / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=70;t=022058

Posted by Boogie (# 13538) on :

I keep replaying a couple of lines from 'Puppet on a String' by Sandy Shaw in my head. I have no idea why - I haven't heard it in years. maybe it's because she was on Mastermind last night.

[Smile]

What is your earworm today?

Posted by Marvin the Martian (# 4360) on :

Na Na Na Na Na Na Na Na Na Na Na, baby give it up, give it up, baby give it up.

Posted by Earwig (# 12057) on :

I got "50 words for snow" by Kate Bush for Christmas, and have had bits from the song "Wild Man" stuck in my head for days.

Only Kate Bush could make these lines an earworm:
"While crossing the Lhakpa-La something jumped down from the rock
In the remote Garo Hills by Dipu Marak we found footprints in the snow."

I want to be Kate Bush when I grow up. [Yipee]

Posted by Smudgie (# 2716) on :

A facebook copycat thing at the moment is googling the number 1 from the week you were born. My current earworm is the result of clicking on the wrong link... and now I'm stuck with the first line of "needles and pins". I can't even remember how it goes on from there, so it's even more irritating than your standard earworm.

Posted by Clarence (# 9491) on :

''Plane Crash" by Liam Finn (if only because he managed to include a reference to a pohutakawa)

Posted by Bob Two-Owls (# 9680) on :

The Marriage of Figaro, I watched Trading Places last night for a bit of 80s nostalgia (and some JLC boobage of course).

Posted by Balaam (# 4543) on :

Lou Reed and Metallica - Iced Honey.

The end bit with James Hetfield singing, "See if the ice will melt for you," whilst Reed sings, "Iced honey" has been stuck for the last two days.

Posted by Silver Faux (# 8783) on :

Got along without you babe before I met you,
Gonna get along without you now...

Doesn't help that I wrote my own third and fourth lines to the song, where 'cow' rhymes with 'now.'
The original simply repeats the first two lines endlessly, kinda like a praise song.

Posted by ken (# 2460) on :

The Merry Widow.

Its actually rather nice [Smile]

Posted by Sparrow (# 2458) on :

Super Trouper - probably because of watching (or rather, being in the same room with) Mamma Mia on the TV the other day.

Posted by infinite_monkey (# 11333) on :

I've had Dar Williams' Iowa stuck in my head all week, thanks to the ceaseless coverage of the Iowa caucuses.

Fortunately, it's a brilliant song.

Posted by snowgoose (# 4394) on :

Tom Lehrer's So Long, Mom, I'm Off To Drop the Bomb.

Posted by lilBuddha (# 14333) on :

Mr. Hurricane by Beast.

Posted by Kitten (# 1179) on :

I've had 'Set fire to the Third Bar' by Snow Patrol going round in my head all week, following my Son & his fiancee working on their wedding play list.

Fortunately, I love this song.

Posted by Graven Image (# 8755) on :

"I want to walk as a child of the light, I want to follow Jesus."

It has been there for about a week now. No idea what started it. Nice song, but I am getting a bit tired of it.

Posted by South Coast Kevin (# 16130) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Kitten:
I've had 'Set fire to the Third Bar' by Snow Patrol going round in my head all week...

Ooh, like it! My earworm for the last couple of days has been Hanging on the Telephone by Blondie. They don't make pop music like that these days... /Old git

Posted by Poppy (# 2000) on :

Balkan folk song 'Opinca' which has very unusual rhythms now firmly stuck in my head. here it is on youtube

Posted by Kelly Alves (# 2522) on :

Marv, thank you for handing yours off to me.

quote:
Originally posted by Silver Faux:
Got along without you babe before I met you,
Gonna get along without you now...

Dude, my mom goes around humming this one all the time!

[ 06. January 2012, 18:32: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

Posted by Meg the Red (# 11838) on :

This club can't even handle me right now . . .

From this version, specifically the crescendo at 1:39, which is beyond awesome, even when it turns into an earworm.

Posted by jedijudy (# 333) on :

I've been listening (and listening and listening) to Alan Pote's "Here I Am, Lord" in my poor head for days. It's not even the current choir singing, but one from about eighteen years ago.

Posted by Starbug (# 15917) on :

Christmas songs. This morning on the way to work it was Rockin' Around The Christmas Tree.

Posted by Alex Cockell (# 7487) on :

Lots of earworms tonight from BBC4, starting at 9pm... with TOTP 1977 starting up...

Posted by nickel (# 8363) on :

The Slackers "You Must Be Good" ... for that you can sleep at night; You must be good, for that your momma can hold you tight; And you can't be bad (be bad), or the devil will git ya! So you must be good, you must be good, don't let'em trick ya"

I have no idea why it popped into my head -- I haven't done anything wrong lately!

Posted by Mili (# 3254) on :

I've got about one line and a bit of instrumental (possible on a glockenspiel) from Gotye's "Somebody that I used to Know" stuck in my head. And yes the line is "somebody that I used to know". I think it's because a top 100 countdown of Australian 2012 hits was on TV at the party I attended NYE and this was number one. I hadn't even heard it before that.

Posted by LucyP (# 10476) on :

At work I regularly encounter people with the Chinese surname "Lai" -most recently yesterday.

Every time, I get the chorus from Simon & Garfunkel's "The Boxer" playing in my head for the next couple of days.

I pronounce the surname "Ly" the same way as "Lai", but so far the 2 letter spelling never seems to have set off the earworm!

Posted by PD (# 12436) on :

I had Ravel's fecking 'Bolero' on the loop in my head this morning and then folks were stupid enough to ask me why I am in a fecking lousy mood. Three hours of that would distroy anyone's attempts at optimism.

I finally got rid of Ravel about noon and got the Geogeghan Sisters 'The Siege of Wexford' instead, which was an improvement but did nothing to lift my mood. The Chieftain's 'Nelson's Pillar' or 'Johnson's Motor Car' might have, but I got a song about a massacre instead. Oh well!

PD

[ 07. January 2012, 03:21: Message edited by: PD ]

Posted by Darkwing (# 16207) on :

Tristan, by Failotron - a celebratory chiptune anthem.

Posted by Chorister (# 473) on :

'In the Lord I'll be ever thankful' - a Taize chant which we are singing on Sunday and therefore rehearsed on Friday evening. It's one of those tunes which goes roundandroundandroundandround. But in my version, it's the repetitive alto line as that's the one I had to learn.

If something has to go round and round in my head, though, that is one of the better ones.

Posted by georgiaboy (# 11294) on :

Almost any Taizé song is likely to become an earworm.
Thankfully, mine (today) is a cut from Berlioz' L'Enfance du Christ. I was listening to it last night (a performance posted on YouTube; can't remember who it was), and the instrumental trio for harp and flutes was what I found in my brain when I awoke this morning. Nice!

Posted by BessHiggs (# 15176) on :

I have "Des Colores" running through my poor wee brain this afternoon. And since I can never remember all the words, its more like the first line, some la la la's and then the fourth line. Grrrrr

Posted by Tea gnome (# 9424) on :

"Birdseye potato wa-ffles, they're waffley versatile."
It's a tune from an advert. A very old advert. And it will not go. Am envious of some of your ear-worms.
TG

Posted by Aravis (# 13824) on :

A short Grieg piano piece. [Smile]

It's nice to have something I like that doesn't get annoying too quickly.

Does anyone else get word earworms as well as music earworms? Short passages from books or things like that? I pretty much always have a tune but sometimes I have an unrelated chunk of text as well; when I reach a word I'm not sure of, it kind of sets off a warning which makes me realise the passage is there in my head, and then the ambiguous word bothers me till I can check what it is. (this often takes a long time as I don't have an iphone or Kindle or anything)

Posted by Paddy O'Furniture (# 12953) on :

"It's your thing. Do what you wanna do. I can't tell you who to sock it to!" by ? a black woman singer...

Posted by nickel (# 8363) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Paddy O'Furniture:
"It's your thing. Do what you wanna do. I can't tell you who to sock it to!" by ? a black woman singer...

or the Isley Brothers maybe or did someone else cover it?
it's your thing

[Fixed link]

[ 08. January 2012, 20:54: Message edited by: jedijudy ]

Posted by piglet (# 11803) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Smudgie:
A facebook copycat thing at the moment is googling the number 1 from the week you were born ...

For that reason I've got The Young Ones by Cliff Richard and the Shadows ... [Hot and Hormonal]

Posted by Pancho (# 13533) on :

quote:
Originally posted by nickel:
quote:

or the Isley Brothers maybe or did someone else cover it?
it's your thing

Salt-n-Pepa borrowed the chorus for one of their tracks. The evidence:"Shake Your Thang".

I got The Beatles' "Paperback Writer" on my mind because of that "Is Tolkien a Hack Writer?" thread.

Today had a better start as I had 'Ye who own the faith of Jesus' going round and round my turnip. It is rather a jolly tune, though the way I felt this morning after midnight capers from the dogs, the Dead March from Saul would have been more fitting [Big Grin]

PD

Posted by ChaliceGirl (# 13656) on :

"Situation no win...rush for a change in atmospheeeerre.."- Big Audio Dynamite

Heard it on a station that plays retro 80's/90's stuff and I've been stuck on it! Love that song!

Posted by ChaliceGirl (# 13656) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
Na Na Na Na Na Na Na Na Na Na Na, baby give it up, give it up, baby give it up.

KC and The Sunshine Band! The King of catchy songs! [Smile]

Posted by mark_in_manchester (# 15978) on :

Glen Campbell, 'Wichita Lineman'

This since a game of YouTube Jukebox played with relies in Ireland on Boxing (or, indeed, Steven's) day. House full of 9 kids - age 4-16 - and 8 adults - 40-50. Everyone gets to choose a song, and by the wonders of youtube, everyone else has to listen to it and watch the video.

Great fun and a voyage of mutual discovery for all - even the teenagers stayed engaged. But who on earth dug out the piles and piles of old music videos / live footage of obscure tracks, which must have been rotting on VHS in a million cupboards-under-the-stairs the world over, and bothered to digitise and upload it all?

(Yes, I know, it's late to be wondering why anyone buys records (CDs) anymore...)

Posted by Aelred of Rievaulx (# 16860) on :

Lo, star-led chiefs by
Dr Crotch

Well, it is Epiphany!

And in our cathedral we do tend to overdose on "How brighly shines" this Sunday (Chorale as introit, Cornelius Three Kings, and then the chorale as congregational hymn) so no doubt I shall be thinking of that all week as well. Grrrr.

quote:
Originally posted by Aravis:
Does anyone else get word earworms as well as music earworms? Short passages from books or things like that?

Yes, I'm glad I'm not the only one. I frequently get a couple of stanzas of John Brown's Body by Stephen Vincent Benet stuck in my head. If you think folks look at you oddly when you wander around singing to yourself, you should see the looks you get when you wander around reciting poetry to yourself.

Posted by Nenya (# 16427) on :

"Wise men say only fools rush in..." It's been on my mind, on and off, for weeks. I thought Harry and Aliona dancing the American Smooth to it was one of the loveliest things I've seen in a while. [Axe murder]

Posted by St Everild (# 3626) on :

"Myrrh is mine,
it's bitter perfume
breathes a life
of gathering gloom..." from the carol "We three Kings of Orient are"

No idea why, its not my favourite carol and I'm fed up with it...it'll hang around all week, I expect.

My earworm now is very similar - it's the interlude between verses of 'We three kings' (Common Praise version).

Posted by seasick (# 48) on :

Eat this bread and never hunger... - a communion hymn we sang this morning. I really like it but it does have a habit of getting stuck in your head.

After being used on Dancing On Ice I can't seem to get Walk this way by Run DMC and Aerosmith out of my head.

Posted by Deputy Verger (# 15876) on :

I can see I am not the only one singing:

Star of wonder, star of night, star of royal beauty bright, westward leading, still proceeding... guide us to thy perfect light

over and over and over... [Help]

Posted by Pax Romana (# 4653) on :

When I went to see Mozart's Don Giovanni earlier this year, I had snippets of that opera running through my brain for weeks. I've sung this opera in the past, so it's easy for the music to get stuck in my head.

I recently went to see Puccini's Madama Butterfly, which I also sang in the past, so snatches of that have been singing in my brain.

In between operatic earworms, I have had other musical intrusions on my consciousness, also.

Pax Romana

OK, now that I've been to church and done a bit of Proper Singing™, I've got rid of Cliff Richard (no offence) and now I've got Where riches is everlastingly by Peter Warlock and the Nunc Dimittis from Sumsion in G.

That's better. [Smile]

Posted by kingsfold (# 1726) on :

Clearly a Warlock theme here...

I can't get Bethlehem Down out of my head. (I actually really like it, just not when it stops me sleeping!)

Posted by Adeodatus (# 4992) on :

For some reason I simply cannot fathom, I've had With joyous shout from Gilbert & Sullivan's The Mikado sloshing around in my head all day. I'm currently listening to some loud Chopin to try and dislodge it.

Posted by passer (# 13329) on :

Like earwig I got Kate Bush's 50 Words for Snow for Christmas, plus her Director's Cut album. The reworked Song of Solomon is currently stuck in my head (as was the original when it first came out, I confess).

Twinkle twinke Little Star. No idea why.

"Fat Bottomed Girls" by Queen.

This is not a bad thing.

Posted by Darllenwr (# 14520) on :

This

I make no apologies for being an unashamed admirer of a self-taught guitarist. OK, so he is using some pretty nifty gadgets, but the whole thing is totally unforgiving - one mistake and the piece collapses in disarray.

Wish I could play that well [there is no jealous emoticon]

Fecking 'Bolero' again! [brick wall]

PD

Posted by Trisagion (# 5235) on :

Happy Feet

Posted by Japes (# 5358) on :

quote:
Originally posted by kingsfold:

...I can't get Bethlehem Down out of my head. .....

[Paranoid]

Now, nor can I! Round, and round my poor brain it's been going since I read that on this thread last night.

Posted by Ariel (# 58) on :

The Sherlock theme tune.

Posted by Galloping Granny (# 13814) on :

A few bars from Schumann's Scenes from Childhood Charming, but likely to get boring if repeated for long enough.
GG

Posted by Jemima the 9th (# 15106) on :

The Blackbeard pirate song from Horrible Histories. Gilbert & Sullivan parody. Like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sUaJZX9ZkM

quote:
Originally posted by ChaliceGirl:
"Situation no win...rush for a change in atmospheeeerre.."- Big Audio Dynamite

Heard it on a station that plays retro 80's/90's stuff and I've been stuck on it! Love that song!

The stuff B.A.D. did BEFORE that song is/are? great as well. One song I remember someone saying, all stuttery: "The horses, the h-h-h-h-h-horses are on the track". So many great memories of coming of age to those songs.

What's funny is that I'm a big fan of genuine (not the lame obviously made up) misheard lyrics. So, I tend to sing the misheard version of songs to get a laugh from my friends and then these songs become ear-worms all in their own right. Lately, I've had "I've got shoes, they're made of plywood. And I'm losing controllll..." instead of "I've got chills, they're multiplying" from "Grease". Also, I'll get "Smoke On the Water" stuck in my head but I'll sing it as, "Slow-motion Walter, fire engine guy". Yeah, I AM weird! [Razz]

Posted by Yam-uk (# 12791) on :

'Waltzing Matilda' and 'The Archer's' theme tune [Confused] *sigh*

The Land of Mountain and Flood (aka The Theme from Sutherland's Law) by Hamish MacCunn kindly distiller into my ear by BBC Radio 3 at 8:45 this morning, since when it has driven my co-workers mad as I have whistled and hummed it constantly [Biased]

quote:
Originally posted by Trisagion:
The Land of Mountain and Flood ...

Da-da dee dah da dah da dah...

(I heard it too)

Posted by Lothiriel (# 15561) on :

The music from Brideshead Revisited (the 1981 TV series, not the dismal 2008 film). I got the series on DVD at Christmas, and wallowed in it over the holidays.

Posted by St. Gwladys (# 14504) on :

quote:
Originally posted by ken:
quote:
The Land of Mountain and Flood ...

Da-da dee dah da dah da dah...

(I heard it too)

I heard it on ClassicFM - first time I heard it as a "piece" (as opposed to a TV theme) was on one of my dad's brass band records - possibly Pride of the Rhondda?

Posted by Latchkey Kid (# 12444) on :

The music used in the BBC TV series The Singing Detective not the dismal film (credit to Lothiriel). I've had the CD for years.

Zippedy doo dah - arrrrggggghhhhhh!

Thanks Chris Evans [Roll Eyes]

Posted by Arch Anglo Catholic (# 15181) on :

I am taunted by the theme from Happy Days

Monday, Tuesday Happy Days etc

This is therefore NOT a Happy Day.

Oh that tune makes me MAD.

Slight consolation, however, it is now annoying you.

Every blessing!

Cerys Mathews Arglwydd Dyma Fi (Lord here I am) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Axw_i0WxMk - for which I can indirectly blame Lord Pontivilian who put another Cerys Mathews track onto facebook

Rivers of Babylon - Boney M [Ultra confused]

Posted by Penny S (# 14768) on :

Finale of Pirates of Penzance - no pirate band will take its stand at the Central Criminal Court - which location was a clue in the Guardian quick crossword today.

Penny

Pimp by Shivaree
Ambrosia Parsley's laconic vocals are hypnotic.

quote:
He's going to play you a dream
Dress you up in chocolate
And finish you with cream
Squeeze you till you're warm and woozy
And then pop you on the saddle
Of a silver moto guzzi

quote:
Originally posted by Jemima the 9th:
The Blackbeard pirate song from Horrible Histories. Gilbert & Sullivan parody. Like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sUaJZX9ZkM

[Killing me]

Posted by Siegfried (# 29) on :

The riff from "Bye Bye Blues"--did an arrangement of it for my LOTRO band this past week.

Aja
when all my dime dancing is through
I run to you....

(Steely Dan)

Posted by LutheranChik (# 9826) on :

We did our turn at the antique mall today. The owner insists on broadcasting the local "oldies" station throughout the store...thanks to that, I came home with Barry Manilow's "Ready to Take a Chance Again" stuck in my head. Argh.

Posted by Pure Sunshine (# 11904) on :

I've been told that humming 'God save the Queen' acts as a kind of aurivermicide, if that's a word.

Everyday I love you less and less by the Kaiser Chiefs is today's earworm, picked up from the in store tannoy of, of all places, Harvey Nicks.

They should know better. [Roll Eyes]

Posted by Aelred of Rievaulx (# 16860) on :

John Bull's Starre Anthem - a setting of the Epiphany Collect from the BCP. Amazing last two pages of rising suspensions....

Having just read an article in the Telegraph celebrating the 50th anniversary of the Ford Zephyr, I've got the theme from Z Cars running through my head.

My apologies to fellow-Brits over a certain age who have now got it too. [Big Grin]

[ 15. January 2012, 04:01: Message edited by: piglet ]

After two earworm free days...

ABBA - 'The day before your came.'

An improvement on Bolero as I actually like the song.

PD

A few bars of something I'm not able to identify for sure – could be a duet from Verdi's Don Carlos. I've only seen it once but that duet was familiar probably from a collection of 100 best opera songs.

GG

SO tempted to provide a link, but I'll just encourage you to google "Kristi Martel-- Silver" and enjoy. A happy-making earworm.

Posted by Sir Kevin (# 3492) on :

A song I wrote myself, composing it on the piano. I want to properly orchestrate it someday and maybe even add words...

Thanks to a comment by a facebook friend (should that be facebook fiend?), the cheesy pouffs song.

Posted by Earwig (# 12057) on :

quote:
Happy Feet

Me too, due to an advert for a travel firm in the UK. Except I keep singing it as "Happy feet, goddamn those happy feet".

Posted by mark_in_manchester (# 15978) on :

Today, it's Frank Skinner doing a George Formby on the telly the other night -

My mate Ali, was a
dentist,
Now he's a Muslim
fundamentalist,

Oh, Oh, Oh, Oh,
Oh-sama Bin Laden...

etc etc

It's all the fault of Curiosity Killed, who posted this on the 'London Walking Group' thread, that I'm now singing 'Walking in the Air'. (The polite version, of course....)

Posted by Miffy (# 1438) on :

Jackie Wilson's 'Higher and Higher.'

Can't URL to work else I'd link to cheesy sixties dance clip of same.

Posted by LutheranChik (# 9826) on :

My newest earworm, thanks to YouTube, is comic Jimmy Fallon's imaginary hybrid of David Bowie and Tim Tebow, the very overtly, nay, aggressively conservative- Christian young Denver Broncos football phenom: Tebowie.

Posted by fletcher christian (# 13919) on :

You listen to it once and think; hmmm, it's ok; tad annoying. Listen to it again and you won't be able to get this bloody thing out of your head for months...........you have been warned.
Sholay
It's slightly more to the bizarre side of things it must be said, but an earworm it is nonetheless.

Posted by Welease Woderwick (# 10424) on :

Today I have Magic Moments going round and round, or that is the tune - the words, courtesy of an ex-colleague:

quote:
I'll never forget - the smell of the sweat - from under your armpits
Thanks Lynn.

Most of yesterday, and all of this morning, I've had more of a genre, rather than a particular tune, stuck in my head. Oddly enough, I keep wanting to burst out singing Pirate songs. (Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum! and all that). And the visuals in my mind are even worse. A bunch of Disney-esque pirates quaffing grog and singing sea shanties...

I need therapy, NOW!

eta: last night, my co-worker kindly tried to give me a differnt earworm, but thankfully, I don't know any Hannah Montana songs and was spared that particular agony. Although, come to think of it, the pirates in my head might have enjoyed sharing space with a tween phenom [Devil]

[ 19. January 2012, 15:09: Message edited by: BessHiggs ]

quote:
Originally posted by LutheranChik:
My newest earworm, thanks to YouTube, is comic Jimmy Fallon's imaginary hybrid of David Bowie and Tim Tebow, the very overtly, nay, aggressively conservative- Christian young Denver Broncos football phenom: Tebowie.

Jimmy Fallon comes up with some interesting stuff. I can't hear a certain John Meyer song without hearing Nobody here's from Ireland...

Posted by maryjones (# 13523) on :

My brother claims that our mother used part of Schubert's Rosamunde as our bedtime prayer. He says the first line is: Jesus, our Father, keep us safe this night.
I don't remember it and it's driving him nuts. Can anyone help?
(It's NOT "Lord Keep us safe this night"

Posted by Mama Thomas (# 10170) on :

I can't get "Let Me Be There" out of my head. Olivia's dulcet tones and that unforgettables 70's style bass in the backup. Simply because I saw them sing "Summer Lovin'" on Glee the other night, and the next day the LA Times posted compare and contrast on there website, noting that the Glee cast version matched almost shot-for-shot, facial expression-by-facial-expression the original by the cast of Grease, John Travolta and heaven's own Olivia Newton-John. (Guess this really show my age...)

quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
The Sherlock theme tune.

Same again. On the advice posted upthread, I tried thinking "God Save The Queen" to myself quite loudly, if in complete silence (as I was at work at the time) but it hasn't helped.

Could be worse: I suffered quite badly from Rachmaninov's Piano Concerto (the famous one) for nearly two whole weeks once. I haven't been able to watch Brief Encounter since.

quote:
quote:
The Sherlock theme tune.

Same again. On the advice posted upthread, I tried thinking "God Save The Queen" to myself quite loudly, if in complete silence (as I was at work at the time) but it hasn't helped.

Could be worse: I suffered quite badly from Rachmaninov's Piano Concerto (the famous one) for nearly two whole weeks once. I haven't been able to watch Brief Encounter since.

It's not the theme tune so much for me, as that bit of incidental music. You know the one. Usually accompanies Sherlock running through the streets of London and being fabulously clever at the same time. Sometimes stays in my head for days on end.

And have you ever had the slow movement of the Rachmaninov in your head at the same time as "All by myself"? Worse than a hangover!

And ... have you noticed how if you're reading about other people's earworms, suddenly they're your earworms?

quote:
Originally posted by Adeodatus:
And ... have you noticed how if you're reading about other people's earworms, suddenly they're your earworms?

Only if you know the tune [Big Grin]

There are verbal earworms as well - those snatches of poetry, or quotes that won't go away, as much as oddly rhythmic names or phrases.

Posted by Drifting Star (# 12799) on :

You should never, ever click on a link in a thread about earworms. Unless you're trying to evict one, and you really think that any alternative is better...

quote:
And have you ever had the slow movement of the Rachmaninov in your head at the same time as "All by myself"? Worse than a hangover!

I always want to sing that when the Rachmaninov is on the radio, which wouldn't amuse Darllenwr as he likes it. There's another classical piece which always reminds me of "I'm forever blowing bubbles" and he likes that too.

Posted by swllwmzn (# 12945) on :

Watching The Story of Musicals on catch up so it'll be whatever I hear last..

Posted by Darllenwr (# 14520) on :

quote:
Originally posted by St. Gwladys:
quote:

I always want to sing that when the Rachmaninov is on the radio, which wouldn't amuse Darllenwr as he likes it. There's another classical piece which always reminds me of "I'm forever blowing bubbles" and he likes that too.
Vandal!

Posted by East Price Road (# 13846) on :

I have just bought Kate Rusby's "While Mortals Sleep", and have had "All Hail the Power of Jesus' Name" to the tune Diadem in my head for the past few days.

Strangely, the CD notes say that "the words were written in 1779 and the tune came nearly 200 years later". However, reliable sources on the net say that James Ellor composed Diadem in 1838. So Kate is only 140 years out!

Posted by churchgeek (# 5557) on :

We just had a funeral at the church I work at for a local labor leader. There was a wreath with "Solidarity forever" written across it, so now Solidarity Forever is running through my head. (I'm ashamed to say I don't know the lyrics...)

quote:
Originally posted by Galloping Granny:
A few bars of something I'm not able to identify for sure – could be a duet from Verdi's Don Carlos. I've only seen it once but that duet was familiar probably from a collection of 100 best opera songs.

GG

Apparently now there's an app for that ...

Whichever tune I've just been humming to lull my granddaughter off to sleep (they have to be repetitive in order to mesmerise her and make her eyes close). This weekend, the uppermost earworm was 'Ride a cock horse to Banbury Cross'.

Posted by Stejjie (# 13941) on :

Thanks to the title of this thread, I have "It's All about you" by McFly lodged in my head.

[Mad]

"Take me to a Quiet Place" by Karen Money.

I like it...I may not by the end of today!

Thanks to the bloody awful choir in one of the parishes I serve, the earworm of yesterday and today appears to be 'I watch the sunrise', a hymn I heartily dislike. [Frown]

'Rhinestone Cowboy' [Roll Eyes]

Come back 'Zippedy Doo Dah' - all is forgiven!

Posted by South Coast Kevin (# 16130) on :

For all of you with unwanted earworms, I've had a lush song in my head for the last few days:

A Sail by Lisa Hannigan

Plenty of earworm potential on the 1980 chart being played out on Pick of the Pops today -

http://www.chartstats.com/chart.php?week=19800126

Dig it out on iPlayer or get to BBC Radio 2 NOW...

Posted by Dormouse (# 5954) on :

Mr D has "Indie Disco" by the Divine Comedy as a wake-up alarm on his phone. So - if I'm still in bed when his alarm goes off - I end up with that as the day's earworm...or sometimes it morphs into another Divine Comedy/Neil Hannon song. Yesterday it was the last verse of Frog Princess And I suspect that having searched for the YouTube version it'll be there again today!

And I don't really mind, as I am a great fan of Neil Hannon and his very clever music. If you don't know it, you might enjoy it!

Last night it was Bruckner's 'Locus Iste' (heard at a concert) and today Stanford's 'Beati Quoram Via', which we sang as the anthem this morning. Both wonderful, so I didn't mind a bit.

"If you want to know the time, ask a policeman"

Deeply irritating. Nothing seems to be dislodging it.

[ 29. January 2012, 16:32: Message edited by: Japes ]

Jeff Buckley: Hallelujah

Posted by LeRoc (# 3216) on :

This Dutch song. (Listen to the melody at your own peril.) I won't bother to translate the lyrics, it is something along the line of "Will you still love me in 40 years time?"

Aagh, get it out of my head!!

quote:

I'd pay good money to have that as an earworm. Sadly, and for reasons I cannot begin to understand, I have the refrain from a very old advert for Economy Seven (cheaper electricity, heaven! [Roll Eyes] ).

quote:

Marvellous song.

Is there a way to cause earworms?

A song by Coldplay: I cannot remember what it's called, nor can I remember all of the words though the melody is crystal clear. The CD is in the changer in the car out in the carpark, but I played it a lot when I worked at the fairgrounds on a show last week, because I could park right next to the jobsite within eyeshot of the car so as long as I didn't walk away without removing the key, it was safe.

Posted by Zappa (# 8433) on :

Sadly, "Bumping up and down in the little red wagon", because I had to google it to find a photo title

[Killing me] [Overused]

And freaking thank you for passing it on.

Today I have this MP classic - in a previous life when I talked about sex for a living I recommended it to be played in the local GUM clinic. My colleague in charge of the place thought it might be a tad inappropriate!

My mental CD player has gone from the sublime to the ridiculous. I'm now beset by Tie Me Kangaroo Down, Sport.

Posted by Nicolemrw (# 28) on :

I have a car commercial stuck in my head. I don't remember for what car, and I don't know any of the words aside from "Come along, come along". It's very, very annoying. [Frown]

Posted by birdie (# 2173) on :

Having watched Muppet Treasure Island for the first time in ages on Sunday, I have the Professional Pirate song stuck in my head.

I maintain that if I was Jim Hawkins, that song would have taken me over to the dark side in about two verses. "Look at us Jim! We're a festival of conviviality!"

"Maria" by Blondie

One of our team leaders is called Maria, and that stupid song comes into my head every time her name is mentioned [Ultra confused]

Does it only count as an earworm if it's annoying you?

If so Mr M's current aural non-arthropod invertebrates are The Real Thing's "You to Me Are Everything" and Bob Dylan's "To Make You Feel My Love" - insert artiste of your choice - which I'm learning in community singing. Ah! Those Seventies disco nights....memories, memories... [Big Grin]

I have no problems whatsoever with them. But then, I don't have to listen to myself singing. [Biased]

"I Want To F*ck You Like An Animal" by Nine Inch Nails. Richard Cheese does a hilarious Sinatra-like rendition of this song with a hep-cat swingin' beat. [Biased]

Posted by 205 (# 206) on :

You like to think you're inured to the stuff

oh yeah

His timing is remarkable (or the editing is very good).

quote:
Originally posted by Miffy:
Bob Dylan's "To Make You Feel My Love"

*happy sigh*

Posted by AristonAstuanax (# 10894) on :

The eminently un-singable in public (but extremely catchy) "Hasa Diga Eebowai," from Stone & Parker's The Book of Mormon.

Paul McCartney's awful Silly Love Songs - AAAAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHH!!!!!

Six days without earworms, after a dodgy couple of days with 'Jesus Calls Us O'er the Tumult', and then I get a a 24-carat 'this is gonna drive me nuts' one. One of the few earworms that is worse than Ravel's fecking Bolero...

What was commonly referred to when I was a teenager as

The Birdie Song!

You know the one I mean... [Paranoid]

PD

[ 03. February 2012, 05:00: Message edited by: PD ]

Posted by ProgenitorDope (# 16648) on :

The choir parts of "Sons of Skyrim."

(For my people, the Nerds, it's an earworm the size of something in "Dune".)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53b8v3vw2AQ

Posted by angelica37 (# 8478) on :

today I can't escape from this earworm

'and he painted matchstalk men and matchstalk cats and dogs...'

Thank you radio 2 [Mad]

Think yourself lucky - I have 'Boom Bang-a-Bang', thanks to the supermarket.

OK, bunch of things. I am working on a story. I have just purchased a Vince Guaraldi double album. Because this is the way my mind works, I decided to assign Guaraldi songs to each of the main characters in the story.

I definitely have a favorite character, and his theme has been bouncing around in my head for the last three days. (Nothing to do with Christmas; the structure of the song fits his personality.)

Not unpleasant at all, actually.

quote:
Originally posted by angelica37:
today I can't escape from this earworm

'and he painted matchstalk men and matchstalk cats and dogs...'

Thank you radio 2 [Mad]

OMG I have not heard that for 30+ years. IT was my favourite song in maybe '78.

ETA - have just youtubed it ... the memories! Thankyou so much [Axe murder]

[ 04. February 2012, 06:10: Message edited by: Zappa ]

Posted by Lothlorien (# 4927) on :

quote:
One of the few earworms that is worse than Ravel's fecking Bolero...
There's something wore than that?

I have horrible memories of being on team at a high school conference back in my evangelical days. Long ago. One group wanted to demonstrate unity.

Video, I said it was old, of an orchestra rehearing Bolero. At first with just a few instruments and then adding in numbers and types of instruments till the whole orchestra was swept up in playing it over and over. And over. Earworm nightmare stuff.

A group of us, all since passed on from those days, only has to mention Bolero and we all groan It still affects us.

Apologies for all the typos and lack of punctuation. Am dealing with last of a migraine and couldn't see properly.

"Try Not to get Worried" from Superstar. Kuruman was singing "Sing of the Lord's Goodness" and it segued ... as most things do when I sing them [Roll Eyes]

Fly me to the moon by Sinatra thank to an image posted on another site. But, having had a look upthread, it is now vying with Linus and Lucy by Vince Guaraldi. While I love both songs, the combination, not so much.

quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
While I love both songs, the combination, not so much.

Heh. Yeah, they kind of go together like mustard and ice cream, don't they?

Posted by Stejjie (# 13941) on :

"I Want to Break Free" by Queen. Except not all of it, in the right order, just the instruental bit in the midde ("wah-wah-wah-wah-waaaaah") on repeat. Sing something, Freddie!

Posted by Smudgie (# 2716) on :

Over on Facebook, Joyful Noise started singing "Let's go fly a kite". Bother him! I shall be singing that ALL DAY. I don't know whether to be glad that it's blocking out the "Red and yellow and pink and green" of yesterday or not (thanks, Winchester meet!), but it's certainly got a firm hold on my synapses this morning.

quote:
Originally posted by PD:
Six days without earworms, after a dodgy couple of days with 'Jesus Calls Us O'er the Tumult', and then I get a a 24-carat 'this is gonna drive me nuts' one. One of the few earworms that is worse than Ravel's fecking Bolero...

What was commonly referred to when I was a teenager as

The Birdie Song!

You know the one I mean... [Paranoid]

Or as they sing it in France -

PD

La Danse des Canards The Duck Dance.

Thanks to Chorister, I now have 'We are climbing Jesus's ladder, ladder' stuck in my head ...

The Radio 4extra theme music...

It is February and I live in the northern hemisphere so why have I got We plough the fields and scatter... on my brain this morning?

After watching the first half of the Spurs match I recorded Saturday (which was already 4-0 Spurs over Newcastle United!), my earworm is When the Spurs (saints) go marching in. It was frequently sung by the home side supporters at White Hart Lane.

Posted by Egeria (# 4517) on :

Strangely enough, I had "For all the Saints" running through my head today while I was cleaning the house. I haven't heard it since last November and haven't recently heard anything that sounds similar (as far as I can remember). The sound in my imagination cracked on the high notes just as my voice does when I attempt to sing it.

Because I frequently play the finale of Haydn's Symphony # 82 when I need a mental boost at work, I sometimes get bits of that running through my head. It usually helps, too--so maybe it's not technically an earworm. I also play it when I'm anticipating an upcoming basketball game...and when I get over my team's heartbreaking overtime loss tonight, I'll be ready to hear it again. Not only does it actually remind me of basketball, it has that wonderful nickname: The Bear! [Big Grin]

Posted by Roseofsharon (# 9657) on :

Theme song from High Noon (Do Not Forsake Me, Oh My Darling), since I heard a snatch of it on Something Understood (BBC Radio4) this morning.

I had a nice one yesterday when my little country congregation of 3 + me sang George Herbert's "Seven Whole Days". Well the keyboardist and I did.

Posted by Lymasa (# 11397) on :

Calvin Hampton's Repeating Alleluia. The title says it all. Better than some things it could be, I suppose. (Had Mr. Cow stuck in my head for days on end, once!)

Posted by Gill H (# 68) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Zappa:
I had a nice one yesterday when my little country congregation of 3 + me sang George Herbert's "Seven Whole Days". Well the keyboardist and I did.

Is that 'King of Glory, King of Peace'? That one always makes me smile, because of "Thou dids't note my working breast".

I have visions of an animatronic George Herbert, complete with fully working breast.

Presumably to supply "the cream of all my heart" mentioned later...

quote:
Originally posted by Lymasa:
Had Mr. Cow stuck in my head for days on end...

Mr. Cow?

There is an advert currently running on ITV3 with Matt Monroe singing Born Free: had it running in my head for five days solid now.

Have you purchased the advertised product, though?

Today's earworm, thanks to the wonderful new Muppets film, is "Life's A Happy Song".

Hey, it could be worse. It could be Manuh Manuh...

Posted by CJ (# 2166) on :

The Big Bang Theory theme tune - ALL NIGHT.

Kept waking up and it was still going round in my head. Not that I don't like it, it's a funny song, but not a lullaby!

[tired and grumpy]

[Ultra confused]

Thanks to a conversation in the office, I now have the Grange Hill theme tune lodged in my brain. This sucks.

American Pie

quote:
Originally posted by Gill H:
Today's earworm, thanks to the wonderful new Muppets film, is "Life's A Happy Song".

Hey, it could be worse. It could be Manuh Manuh...

Or worse, it could be "Man or Muppet." Thanks to plays by Chris Evans on Radio 2 that has been my earworm, day and night for 2 days.

I'd rather have tinnitus back.

Woke up today with "Me gustas tanto (I like you so much)" bouncing around in my head. Paulina Rubio. Very toe-tappy. Check it out.

quote:
Have you purchased the advertised product, though?

No. It was for something called FoxyBingo.com

The earworm has, thanks be to God, been less insistent today and is alternating with Wymmaway.

quote:
Originally posted by Japes:
American Pie

The original version or the abomination of Madonna's

The original is rubbish: it rubbishes the great Rolling Stones. Could Madonna's version be even worse?

The Archers signature tune is a frequent earworm. I prefer the Archers Extra version, but as it is out of production now, I rarely think of it.

Anything by Adele. Lord, I love that album!

I don't like either version of American Pie, I just don't want it as an earworm, but I hear it so rarely that it tends to stick when I've heard it!

Happily, it's been dispatched by a Mozart piano sonata which has now taken up residence since I decided to bring it up to playing in front of other people standard again.

There's an advert on ClassicFM at the moment for some sort of sugar substitute and it's based on "Truly Scrumptious from Chittychittybangbang and it won't get out of my head....

Posted by Winnow (# 5656) on :

"I'm 'enery the eighth I am, 'enery the eight I am I am. I got married to the widow next door; she's been married seven times before, and every one was an 'enery, wouldn't have a Willie or a Sam, I'm her eighth old man I'm 'enery, 'enery the eighth I am ... {and it continues forever}!

"The Hairbrush Song" fronm Veggie Tales, alas. Thanks to my son who was singing it, albeit with the words altered to "oh where is the wii remote ..."

quote:
Originally posted by Sir Kevin:
quote:
Originally posted by Lymasa:
Had Mr. Cow stuck in my head for days on end...

Mr. Cow?
Sir Kevin:

Mr. Cow

But I wouldn't, if I were you.

(Walking down evangelical memory lane )

Anybody remember the Butterfly Song?

quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
(Walking down evangelical memory lane )

Anybody remember the Butterfly Song?

Do you mean the one that starts, "If I were a butterfly, I'd thank You, Lord, for giving me wings"?

♪ ♫ ...If I were a wiggly worm, I'd thank you Lord that I could squirm.
If I were a fuzzy wuzzy bear, I'd thank you Lord for my fuzzy, wuzzy hair... ♫ ♪

Since Kelly has so generously shared her ear worm with me, I wanted to make sure that nobody else who knows it escapes. [Devil]

That song also has the Cartman factor, in that if someone sings the first line aloud, one finds one's self compulsively singing the rest through to the chorus.

Okay... I am being driven slowly (or more quickly than I was previously) mad over a repeating song in my head since yesterday afternoon: "Candy Perfume Girl" by Madonna. Specifically the lyrics she draws out: "Diiiiid I liiiie to youuuu... my candy perfume girllllll..."

I went to bed singing that song and I woke up singing that song and I'm typing this singing that song and I... yeah, you know what I mean! [Help]

I had part of the Mass, one of the bits that is sung in modern English, stuck in my head yesterday. Failed to post at the time, but in six hours when I return home from the cathedral I'll let you lot know if it's back.

quote:
I had part of the Mass, one of the bits that is sung in modern English, stuck in my head yesterday. Failed to post at the time, but in six hours when I return home from the cathedral I'll let you lot know if it's back.

I'll trade you yours for more of "diiiiiiiiiiid IIIIIIIIIIIII liiiiie to you, my candy perfume..." Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! Kill me! Kill me now!!

quote:
Originally posted by Drifting Star:
♪ ♫ ...If I were a wiggly worm, I'd thank you Lord that I could squirm.
If I were a fuzzy wuzzy bear, I'd thank you Lord for my fuzzy, wuzzy hair... ♫ ♪

Since Kelly has so generously shared her ear worm with me, I wanted to make sure that nobody else who knows it escapes. [Devil]

I was a convert to Christianity. I came to faith on a Saturday. The next day I went to church, as you do. The congregation of big mature grown-ups sung that as what I would later come to know as the offertory, with gusto. [Projectile]

I very nearly never darkened the door of a church again.

I was lucky enough to be a child at the time. I do seem to remember the adults creasing up when they sang it though. I think we had extra [Eek!] verses too, but time has kindly expunged them.*

♪ ♫ ... wiggle my tail and I’d giggle with glee ... ♫ ♪

*They'll be back. Probably in the middle of the night.

I had the misfortune of having to sing that one recently (although it was Education Sunday, with a church full of several hundred children as well as a few brave adults, so I guess that makes it different). What was really unfair, though, was the alto who sits next to me telling me she knew the rude version, but then refusing to tell me what the words were. I mean, how unkind is that?

And if you must have such a song as an earworm, how much better to have the alternate version.... [Two face]

I suspect 1 Cor. 12.12-24 could lend itself to a few "if I were" compositions. "If I were a ...'

Whatever.

quote:
The next day I went to church, as you do. The congregation of big mature grown-ups sung that as what I would later come to know as the offertory, with gusto.

Oh God. Bless. Them.
[Overused]

quote:
quote:
The next day I went to church, as you do. The congregation of big mature grown-ups sung that as what I would later come to know as the offertory, with gusto.

Oh God. Bless. Them.
[Overused]

With actions?

That would be a sign of people truly fearless in the Lord.

When I was a youngster, I once lead a group of grown adults-- LUTHERAN adults-- in a couple choruses of "This little light of mine." I stopped after one bar and scolded them because they didn't have their little lights up. They complied.

quote:
Originally posted by Balaam:
With actions?

Yup. Maybe Kelly was there [Eek!]

Posted by orfeo (# 13878) on :

I've had an earworm buzzing around for a couple of weeks, and I'm very happy today because I've finally figured out what it IS. A little snatch of the 1st movement of Beethoven's cello sonata no.3.

I listened to a lovely Youtube video tonight... some college choral group singing a version of "O Vos Omnes". Now THERE'S an ear worm I don't mind having. Beautiful music! I sang this in a choral group in Seattle and have loved it ever since.

Paddy, that's a very classy earworm! [Smile]

Mine is Cwm Rhondda with the descant, which we sang at a funeral this morning.

Nessun Dorma.

This is not a problem.

Posted by Jenny Ann (# 3131) on :

Shine Jesus Shine.

This is a problem.

A whole medley of earworms today: 'Jelly wobble, jelly wobble, jelly on a plate...., Round and round the swimming pool...., This is the way we kick our legs....., Do do do do going to the moon...., Rock rock rock your boat gently down the stream, if you see a crocodile, don't forget to SCREAM!!!'

Can you tell I decided to go swimming today at exactly the same time as the under-5s Aqua Splash?

Jenny Ann and Chorister - I'm not sure which one of you I feel sorrier for ... [Eek!]

Any preschool teachers out there come home with a Raffi hangover?

Thanks to poor davy Jones I have had a huge dose of "Daytime Believer" for several days now. [Tear]

quote:

I lived briefly in a house above a beach in Nunavut within smelling distance of the carcass of a butchered whale*. Even though my mucous membrances recovered, I've never heard "Baby Beluga" quite the same way again.

*I collected a few of its teeth, which have fascinated children all over the local school system. You want a couple? (Serious offer - they're a great teaching tool).

quote:

Thankfully, when I taught preschool last month there were no Raffi songs that I remember in the curricula.

When I have had earworms lately, they have been bits of the Mass...

quote:
Thanks to poor davy Jones I have had a huge dose of "Daytime Believer" for several days now. [Tear]

I keep flashing on his concert scene from "The Brady Movie."

(Meg--PM me [Big Grin] )

I have that vile, dreadful, dumber than dirt song, "The Safety Dance" stuck in my head. Please, for the love of God, kill me now. [Eek!]

quote:
Originally posted by Winnow:
"I'm 'enery the eighth I am, 'enery the eight I am I am. I got married to the widow next door; she's been married seven times before, and every one was an 'enery, wouldn't have a Willie or a Sam, I'm her eighth old man I'm 'enery, 'enery the eighth I am ... {and it continues forever}!

That song was part of the two-record set,
Best of Herman's Hermits that I got for my twelfth birthday, lo these many years ago!

Today's earworm is likely Iron Man, which I heard in the car on the heavy-metal station and I used to be able to play in four loud octaves on a Korg Trinitron more than a dozen years ago when my wife taught grammar-school vocal music in a bad neighbourhood: a relative of one of her students, presumably a known gangster, broke in an stole it during her tenure there. I miss that huge electronic organ!

1950's advertising jingle "we're happy little vegemites as bright as bright can be" Took photo of vegemite display yesterday.

Posted by Lyda*Rose (# 4544) on :

Somebody linked "Feed the Birds" from Mary Poppins on another thread. Very sweet but definitely my earworm for today.

Frankly any Mary Poppins song can turn into an earworm. I swear the Imagineers were honing the craft of auditory control on that film. [Ultra confused] Disney was poised to take over the world!

Thanks to Adeodatus' Gilbert & Sullivan thread, I've got lots of lovely earworms floating in and out (especially the Judge's song from Trial by Jury).

[Yipee]

Ah well, someone was bound to analyse it eventually.

My present earworm is, of course, the current number one single. It's just about to break through 100 million views on youtube. Both I and Mrs passer are currently obsessed with it.

Posted by Roseofsharon (# 9657) on :

Stephen Foster's Hard Times Come Again No More has been popping into my head recently, and seems to have taken up residence since the weekend.

Passer - re 'Somebody I Used To Know', yes, it is prime earworm material, but I also have a series of thoughts in my head whenever it comes on the radio:

1)The intro sounds like a spooky reworking of 'Baa baa black sheep, have you any wool?'

2)The verse reminds me of the verse of XTC's 'Senses Working Overtime'

3)In the chorus, the singer sounds like Peter Gabriel - in fact I thought that's who it was, the first time I heard it.

One day perhaps I will be able to switch all these off and just listen to the flippin' song!

quote:
Passer - re 'Somebody I Used To Know', yes, it is prime earworm material, but I also have a series of thoughts in my head whenever it comes on the radio:

1)The intro sounds like a spooky reworking of 'Baa baa black sheep, have you any wool?'

Indeed it does. You know a song has become all-pervading when it gets its own Wiki page.

quote:
2)The verse reminds me of the verse of XTC's 'Senses Working Overtime'

Yep - know just what you mean there too.

quote:
3)In the chorus, the singer sounds like Peter Gabriel - in fact I thought that's who it was, the first time I heard it.

With you there also! The Australian-esque ambience of the song reminds me of a cross between Kate Bush's "The Dreaming" and Men At Work's "Land Down Under".
quote:

One day perhaps I will be able to switch all these off and just listen to the flippin' song!

Just to screw with your head a little more, watch this and marvel, if you haven't already!

Passer, I was just about to post that link! This is the first version I heard of the song, just because I'm a huge fan of a cappella music. Love the harmonies, and their beatboxer is amazing, though this isn't his showiest performance.

Posted by Freelance Monotheist (# 8990) on :

"Give a Little Love" from Bugsy Malone, namely the bit that goes "You give a little love & it all comes back to you... La la lalalala...
*something something* everything you say & do... La la la lalala".
Not the worst song that could get stuck there but it's getting boring now!

Oh dear God. Dear, dear, God.

RuPaul's "Glamazon."

Frustratingly I have two lines of a Dylan song floating around as an ethereal mantra:

quote:
In death you face life with a child and a wife
Who sleep-walks through your dreams into walls

It is one of my absolute favourite Dylan songs ("No Time to Think") but as a two-liner it's a wee tad frustrating

[ 07. March 2012, 12:24: Message edited by: Zappa ]

Posted by Beethoven (# 114) on :

I have been accompanied all day so far by Adele's Rolling in the Deep. And it's not as though I liked the song that much in the first place.

I blanme Op 1 - she plays it so much at home that I've obviously internalised it as the current soundtrack to my life! [Roll Eyes]

[ 07. March 2012, 13:17: Message edited by: Beethoven ]

This thread is perhaps the best place to note the passing of the songwriter Robert Sherman on 5 March. He and his brother Richard must surely count as patron saints of the earworm.

Not just for their memorable songs for Mary Poppins, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, Bedknobs and Broomsticks etc ...

... but for this:

It's A Small World

Posted by pererin (# 16956) on :

quote:
This thread is perhaps the best place to note the passing of the songwriter Robert Sherman on 5 March. He and his brother Richard must surely count as patron saints of the earworm.

Not just for their memorable songs for Mary Poppins, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, Bedknobs and Broomsticks etc ...

... but for this:

It's A Small World

Thank you. You have finally dislodged Boney M's Rasputin, which had been plaguing me since Saturday. Now the cycle of earwormage can recommence!

Posted by Hugal (# 2734) on :

Continuing the Disney Park theme here is an earworm that is not the Shermans.
Animagique

They don't give bread with one fish ba-a-all. ( second set of words, scroll down.)

I first heard this a very long time ago indeed. It came unbidden to my ear tonight as I made fishcakes for dinner with some smoked salmon steak.

It's fatal to cook spaghetti and meatballs in my house.

Posted by Mockingale (# 16599) on :

Here I am. Rock you like a Hurricane.

Suddenly this morning this!

quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
Suddenly this morning this!

Wodders, I am so, so sorry.

Posted by Sparrow (# 2458) on :

All day yesterday I had "O come, O come Emmanuel" floating through my head.

Posted by Enigma (# 16158) on :

Dunno why but the Muppets have sprung to ear:

It's time to play the music
It's time to light the lights
It's time to meet the Muppets on the Muppet Show tonight

This - is - what - we - call - the - Mu - ppet - Shoooooow!

Sing along everyone! [Razz]

[Edit: potential copyright issues]

[ 11. March 2012, 06:00: Message edited by: Zappa ]

Early this morning, I had to look up a place near Northlew, on Google maps. Ever since then, I've been singing this song.

Oops - just looking at TOTP2 - Heathcliff it's me Kathie - Kate Bush - I won't sleep now!! Help!! Give me another tune....please.....someone.

quote:
Originally posted by Enigma:
... Give me another tune....please.....someone.

Oh all right then. [Big Grin]

Hosting

Please note even ear worms may be subject to copyright

/Hosting

[ 11. March 2012, 05:55: Message edited by: Zappa ]

"America" by Killing Joke. Or is it, "Amerika"? Can't remember. Great video on youtube and I just love the song.

"How I love... America!" Sneer, sarcastic smile.

The UK tune to "Faith of our Fathers" - mainly because I watched a couple of episodes of "Bless Me Father" on DVD the other night.

PD

Posted by Leaf (# 14169) on :

"Cotton-Eyed Joe" by the Rednex. FML.

Brimful of Asha, by Cornershop.

Posted by WhateverTheySay (# 16598) on :

One that I actually remember - this morning I could not get rid of 'Down Under' (or whatever it is actually called) by Men At Work.

Bruckner's 'Locus Iste' has been going around in my head because Mr. C. sang it in a concert last night. I don't really mind as it is one of my favourite anthems.

OK, I'm taking a bath this morning (it's pertinent, I promise.) I am soaping upmy hair, knees up, and lean over, propping my elbows on my knees and holding my head.

The following lyric pops in my head "With my head in my hands I sit and cry..."

Presto. Earworm.

Sorry Zappa - got carried away - will try to be a good girl from now on. [Hot and Hormonal]

quote:
Originally posted by piglet:
quote:
Originally posted by Enigma:
... Give me another tune....please.....someone.

Oh all right then. [Big Grin]
Thank you - love it!! I can sleep now (perhaps). [Biased]

Enigma - I was tempted to give you something awful but I won't even name some of the songs that entered my head because I'm a Nice Piglet. [Smile]

At the moment I've got the stuff we sang for Commonwealth Sunday - including I vow to thee, my country, Cwm Rhondda and Zadok the Priest.

[Eek!]

quote:
Originally posted by piglet:
Enigma - I was tempted to give you something awful but I won't even name some of the songs that entered my head because I'm a Nice Piglet. [Smile]

I, however, am an asshole.

My earworm today is not a song but 3 words from the Perfidious Albion thread.

'Herman the German'

[Roll Eyes]

Posted by Eleanor Jane (# 13102) on :

"Maxwell's Silver Hammer" by The Beatles. I skipped it while playing Abbey Road this morning as I find it a bit creepy, but it has its' revenge!

Posted by kankucho (# 14318) on :

Without back-reading, I can't recall if I've posted in this thread before.

If I haven't, the answer is the QI theme tune.

If I have, the answer is the QI theme tune again.

Posted by ecumaniac (# 376) on :

To the tune of Frère Jacques, a ditty for the kids to remember these stats definitions:

quote:
Mean is average, mean is average.
Mode is most, mode is most.
Median's in the middle, median's in the middle.
Range high - low, range high - low

Posted by mjt (# 15778) on :

I've had the start of Handel's "Thine Be The Glory" going round my head for days. It wouldn't be nearly so bad if I could remember how the rest of it went...

A friend of ours wrote a song, the chorus of which reads "No son of mine ain't going down no mine" - his dad was a miner, this is a mining area, he's an English teacher. It was my eraworm this morning, and just thinking about it, it's taken residence again.

Posted by Hugal (# 2734) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
My earworm today is not a song but 3 words from the Perfidious Albion thread.

'Herman the German'

[Roll Eyes]

Nothing to do with the cake, but I was reminded of these guys:

Herman Ze German

Yes, really.

Sorry, that was me - didn't notice Hugal hadn't logged out!

Very pleasnt today, thankyou - Emmylou's "Tulsa Queen" ... not that I can recall the words:
quote:
I heard the train / In the Tulsa night / Calling out my name / da de dah de dah
[Razz]

Posted by duchess (# 2764) on :

Julia Child - "Don't want to fall in love"
HERE WE GO

[eta: was up last night and this song WOULD NOT STOP playing in MY HEAD IN MY HEAD ARGGGGH]

[ 13. March 2012, 02:43: Message edited by: duchess ]

Posted by duchess (# 2764) on :

arggggh. Perhaps it will stop playing now. Okay, I'm done.

quote:
Originally posted by duchess:
Julia Child - "Don't want to fall in love"
HERE WE GO

Jane Child.

But for real fun, click the link, and picture Julia Child in that hair and nose ring jamming out that song.

(Thanks, duch, I forgot all about that song.)
[Big Grin]

Posted by EtymologicalEvangelical (# 15091) on :

This by Voces8.

The caption's wrong on the video, BTW. It should read: "Thomas Tallis, If ye love me, performed by Voces8".

Actually, I have to say that this is a rather pleasant earworm, although I suppose it's still possible to have too much of a good thing.

Mine is horrible! It's"Danny Boy" ugh..

Posted by Schroedinger's cat (# 64) on :

Every one of the 10 songs on the Heart Radio playlist. And a few of the local council jingles.

I listen to it morning and evening because it does excellent local traffic news. And some of the music I like - Emeli Sande I have discovered - but there is so much crap. Like Bruno Mars - pretty much every morning and evening.

I had 'Money' by Pink Floyd earlier. If only all earworms could be that good.
[Devil]

Manamana
Doo doo doo doo doo.

quote:
Originally posted by Chorister:
Manamana
Doo doo doo doo doo.

arrrrrgggghhhhhh! now I have it!

All together now - Manamana
Doo doo doo doo doo Manamana
Doo doo doo doo doo Manamana
Doo doo doo doo doo .....

Not really an earworm, but yesterday I went to a funeral and towards the end they played a recording of "O mio babbino caro" (Puccini, from Gianni Schicci) and I couldn't get that out of my head all afternoon, and today it was on Radio Three and started me off again.

After hearing it on facebook, this
A tribute to Welsh rugby!

Auugh!

(Bashes Boogie and Chorister's two heads together.)

Posted by churchgeek (# 5557) on :

Today "Sometimes" by James has been playing in my head. It was briefly displaced by tomorrow's entrance hymn (since when I came in to work today, the head verger was humming it), but James won out. I'm sure they would be pleased.

"I bind unto myself today"

funny, that!

Posted by anoesis (# 14189) on :

For the last several days - Thanks (not!) to Golden Key's Afghanistan thread - I have had 'The Gambler' on continuous loop in my head. Playing any and all sorts of music over the top has not helped. Fortunately I just discovered a Johnny Cash version of the song so I'll quit trying to get rid of the song and just burn that version into my eardrums instead.

Posted by Calvin Beedle (# 508) on :

I'm not telling you what it is. Just click here if you dare. I don't see why I should suffer alone!

Williamson's Psalm 121. It was our anthem this morning. While the altos and basses just keep repeating "I will lift up my eyes unto the hills" the tenors and sops are negotiating triplets and odd syncopations that will not depart from my head (where they were when we were atually singing the darn thing, though, I do not know!)

Posted by Silver Faux (# 8783) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Calvin Beedle:
I'm not telling you what it is. Just click here if you dare. I don't see why I should suffer alone!

When some students watched that musical interlude at a St. Patrick's Day party, Calvin Beedle, this was the result.

Woke up with the end of Along the little road to Bethlehem in my head. Why? I haven't heard it or even thought about it for decades.
I had to find it on YouTube to remember how the rest of it went.

GG

My mental tape-loop celebrated St Patrick's Day by getting stuck on 'The Sash.'

PD

'Now thank we all our God, with hearts and hands and voices' (not to the more usual 'Nun Danket' but the tune by Beaumont, from the 'Come and Praise' song book). We learnt it this week and sang it on Sunday as a processional (you have to do a little skip during the rest in the last line [Biased] ). The congregation didn't know it, so I'm not quite sure why we were asked to sing it (perhaps it was the Bishop's favourite?), and now I can't get it out of my head.

Posted by Nicolemrw (# 28) on :

Ton Leher's "The Masochism Tango". I sang a bunch of Tom Leher over the weekend; why this one is the one that's gotten in my head is a mystery.

The Little Road... came back again today. Why??? I've tried replacing it but then as soon as I think of it back it comes.

GG

Posted by Edith (# 16978) on :

That extremely irritating 'Oh sacrament most holy, oh sacrament divine, all praise and all thanksgiving, be every moment thine.

It's driving me mad.

Yesterday it was When Irish Eyes are Smiling...

Courtesy of the Trans-Tasman thread in AS this morning I had All things bright and beautiful so I gave them this instead.

'Lost' by Coldplay.

Posted by geroff (# 3882) on :

"Benny and the Jets'
I have just bought Yellow Brick Road CD and played it in the car.

Cailln mo ruinsa, a bit of Hebridean proto-pop from the 1950s

quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
Courtesy of the Trans-Tasman thread in AS this morning I had All things bright and beautiful so I gave them this instead.

Yeah. Thanks. A. Lot.

But now I have The Maundy Thursday hymn "Lay Down Your Head" (John Bell?) which is much better.

oh dear, I've just made the mistake of listening to kate Bush singing her "Wuthering Heights". [Frown]

Zappa waltz-wafts off, singing

quote:
♪♫ Out on the wiley, windy moors
How could you leave me?♪♫

Posted by Aggie (# 4385) on :

I usually get something I can't stand as an earworm, especially if I have heard it on a commercial, cheesy pop radio station early in the morning, such as today: my earworm is a Lady Gaga song [Disappointed] I heard on the way to work - the name of which I don't know, but has a very irritating refrain that goes something like: "ra ra ra ga ga ga bad romance"

For about twelve hours straight I've had "Pumped Up Kicks" by the band, Foster the People stuck in my head. What's funny is that the music is so upbeat and makes you want to tap your feet but the lyrics... good god... "All the other kids with the pumped up kicks, you better run, better run faster than my gun. All the other kids with the pumped up kicks, better run, better run, faster than my bullet.." are about a teenage boy who finds a gun in his father's closet and goes on a killing spree. I feel sort of guilty for liking the music so much when the lyrics are that grim but what can I do?

quote:
oh dear, I've just made the mistake of listening to kate Bush singing her "Wuthering Heights". [Frown]

quote:

sings, "Heeeeeeathcliff, it's me, Kathy, I've come home again... so something something something about a window..." I loves me some Kate Bush but most of the time I haven't a clue what she's singing! Tori Amos is the same way--great singer, obscure lyrics, hard to understand words.

Posted by birdie (# 2173) on :

quote:

quote:

My favourite version of that track. Also tends to be a bit ear-wormy though!

The usual Passiontide ear worm is with me...

Sing, my tongue, the glorious battle

At least I know this one will give way in due course to the Easter earworm.

PD

Ah yes, I recognise that earworm. We practised it last night and will be singing it on Sunday. So likely to be an earworm until at least Tuesday.

I have been on a month-long Steely Dan kick, and this is the latest one of their numbers stuck in my head. Yes, that is Michael McDonald on lead in this version; he was a Steely Dan Band member for a couple of years.

Posted by Pooks (# 11425) on :

Help! I've got a major case of earworm infection after watching this performance of Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody.

That link should come with a health warning!

Meanwhile, more melifluently, I am earworming John Bell's "Lay Down Your Head"

Posted by comet (# 10353) on :

earworm haunting me for days: I dont know the name or artist but hear it on hip hop dance nights at work. and I dont know much of the words, so my head keeps cycling through: "to the windoooooows, to the walls! All you bitches (something), 'til the sweat pours down my balls... all you (something) muthafuckas...."

it's terrible. especially when my teenage son catches me singing it. in front of his friends.

quote:
Originally posted by comet:
'til the sweat pours down my balls

Google is arguably your friend

Posted by comet (# 10353) on :

dude! you googled that? I was afraid to.

except I did. and bought the song. only way to exorcise an earworm. teen boy home soon.... mwahahaha!

Posted by Firenze (# 619) on :

quote:
Originally posted by comet:
and I dont know much of the words, so my head keeps cycling through: "to the windoooooows, to the walls! All you bitches (something), 'til the sweat pours down my balls... all you (something) muthafuckas...."

Wasn't that an old Bing Crosby number?

(snerk) [Big Grin]

Today I have 'It's beginning to feel a lot like Christmas' seguing into a strange mixture of 'The Impossible Dream' and the Thunderbirds theme tune.

I'm not sure I can survive this with (what's left of) my sanity intact.

Posted by Burgess Shale (# 4452) on :

Kids with Guns, by Gorillaz.

This is my first post in about seven years, by the way. No, really.

[Big Grin]

Welcome back sir!

[Big Grin]

Posted by Burgess Shale (# 4452) on :

Ta muchly!

quote:
Originally posted by Burgess Shale:
Kids with Guns, by Gorillaz.

This is my first post in about seven years, by the way. No, really.

[Big Grin]

Great name, and kickass song.

Argh. Now I got it.

quote:
Originally posted by Burgess Shale:
Ta muchly!

That's twice [Biased]

An addict is born. [Big Grin]

Courtesy of A Certain Host in All Saints, I've got the theme from Dr. Finlay's Casebook running through my head.

Thank you very much Wodders ... [Devil]

Posted by art dunce (# 9258) on :

Connie Evingson "Si Tu Savais".

I grew up singing "Little Boxes" and was delighted when I ran across this version a couple of days ago.

Was pleased.

Make. It. Stop.

. . . theresagreenoneannapinkoneannablueoneannayellowone....

[ 07. April 2012, 00:51: Message edited by: Meg the Red ]

Hey! did you know that song was inspired by my home town?

And they really do look like little boxes. I hate Doelger homes.

Kelly, that's really cool - I had always thought it referred to Levittown.

I wonder, though, how the lyrics need to be updated for the McMansion era: Great big boxes? Hulking boxes? Or as a once I heard an aging hippie call them, "mausoleums"? [Devil]

At any rate, it would need to include a new verse about play groups, granite countertops and "man caves".

It's always good when a song of quality come around as an earworm. Today it's Up on the roof by the Drifters.

Where on Earth did I get the theme music from 633 Squadron? I haven't seen the movie for over 40 years!

Posted by cattyish (# 7829) on :

Such a judge of blue and white and other kinds of pottery from early oriental down to modern terracotary...

G&S have a lot to answer for, especially the first act finale of Patience. Sixteen minutes of almost constant clashing words and varying time signatures. This earworm is affecting my brain!

Cattyish, chorus girl.

Ugh. Today's earworm is "Sweet Child of Mine" by Guns 'n' Roses. I actually like the music, especially Slash's guitar parts but the lyrics are dreadful. Who finds comfort in some girl's HAIR??!!

quote:
Originally posted by Drifting Star:
Today I have 'It's beginning to feel a lot like Christmas' seguing into a strange mixture of 'The Impossible Dream' and the Thunderbirds theme tune.

I'm not sure I can survive this with (what's left of) my sanity intact.

Dear sweet Jesus! That DOES sound bad! My sympathies, sir, or madam!

Paddy your post reminded me of this: Sweet

Posted by Lyda*Rose (# 4544) on :

"Give My Regards to Broadway". As sung by Ethel Merman. Erp.

quote:
Originally posted by art dunce:
Paddy your post reminded me of this: Sweet

Oh My God!
[Yipee]

Memories of a song we used to sing in Primary School came flooding back today:

'At Easter time the lilies fair,
And lovely flowers bloom everywhere,
At Easter time, At Easter time,
How glad the world at Easter time.'

I did look on Google to see if I could find the tune, so I could share this wonderful earworm with you all, but the only one they had was the wrong tune. [Disappointed]

I had this incredibly frustrating hour this arvo when my ear worm went
quote:
I closed my eyes
drew back the curtain
then I knew for certain
da de dah dah dee

It was like one falling boot.

Eventually Kuruman rescued me.

Gotyes: "Somebody That I Used To Know". Great, great, great song but it's been stuck in my head for TWO days!!!!

Posted by Mary LA (# 17040) on :

Songs I sing in the shower and go on mindlessly humming all bloody Monday

Joan Osborne singing One of Us

What if God was one of us?
Just a slob like one of us
Just a stranger on the bus
Tryin' to make his way home?

quote:
Gotyes: "Somebody That I Used To Know". Great, great, great song but it's been stuck in my head for TWO days!!!!

(Sigh)

Gotyes looks like Truffaut.

Posted by The Intrepid Mrs S (# 17002) on :

Today - with an inch of rain forecast, howling winds and skies that make you feel you're living under a Tupperware container - I can't dislodge Morecambe and Wise's 'Bring me sunshine' [Smile]

Mrs. S, wondering if it's too late to take up hibernation?

"Ai Se Eu Te Pego"

For those unfamiliar.

I listen to a lot of Latino radio to keep up with my Spanish. This has been all over the airwaves for the past few months. I'd wondered what weird dialect it was. [Big Grin]

[ 25. April 2012, 21:46: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

Posted by infinite_monkey (# 11333) on :

quote:

His stuff is infectious. I saw him in concert last Wednesday, and that little tinkling xylophone is still pattering itself out in my brain tonight. Dee dee, duh duh, duhduhdeeduhduh....

[ 26. April 2012, 04:44: Message edited by: infinite_monkey ]

Yeah, his stuff is simple and produced with a light hand-- refreshing to hear nowadays.

And he looks like Truffaut, which makes him dreamy. [Biased]

Posted by Grits (# 4169) on :

quote:

Just watched the video last night, and I want it on my MP3 next. It is a great song. Just added "We Found Love" by Rianna -- very catchy song, but I don't like the video.

Oh , I gotta thing about Rhianna, too. (And I love that song.) Which is weird because I am becoming more and more "done" with club music, but Rhianna keeps sliding under the wire for me.

"Hopeless Place" is so aggressively clubby it winds up being impeccable.

Posted by Grits (# 4169) on :

It must be that hint of electronica that sucks us in, Kelly. [Smile]

For some reason I was fighting a loosing battle with Wotan's monologue from Act II of Die Walkure this afternoon. This is interesting on two counts.

1. I have not heard it in a couple of years

2. It isn't usual earworm Wagner - the overtures to Rienzi, Tannhauser or Die Meistersinger are far more likely to get in my mental tape,

The oddest earworm I had recently was the finale of Mahler's Symphony No. 2 - but that's kind of heavenly, so I did not mind.

PD

P.S. No fecking Bolero since the last time I grumbled about it [Big Grin]

[ 26. April 2012, 06:56: Message edited by: PD ]

The convention centre was playing something with nonsense lyrics by Lady Gaga over the PA system: it was almost tolerable until an idiot male colleague did his own reprise! Please, city and production companies - play vintage and good rock and roll or be silent!

I listened to Brahms's Haydn Variations yesterday.

Yep. Still in my head. Going round and round and round and ...

quote:
Originally posted by The Intrepid Mrs S:
...I can't dislodge Morecambe and Wise's 'Bring me sunshine' [Smile]

Mrs. S, wondering if it's too late to take up hibernation?

Oddly enough, they are coming up on the radio just when I originally wrote this!

Posted by welsh dragon (# 3249) on :

Which coloured house are we going to - for much of today.

Posted by welsh dragon (# 3249) on :

Can you see all the different coloured houses/ sitting by the sea

Sisters of Mercy Leonard Cohen

Due completely to the fault of our head chorister: Leap up and down wave your knickers in the air, and the spitting image chicken song. Trouble is I've now got them intertwined in my brain. One minute it's 'Leap up and down wave a chicken in the air' and the next minute it's 'Hold your knickers in the air, stick a deckchair up your nose', neither of which are conducive to serious thought.

quote:
Originally posted by Chorister:
Due completely to the fault of our head chorister: Leap up and down wave your knickers in the air, and the spitting image chicken song. Trouble is I've now got them intertwined in my brain. One minute it's 'Leap up and down wave a chicken in the air' and the next minute it's 'Hold your knickers in the air, stick a deckchair up your nose', neither of which are conducive to serious thought.

OK, now we know what you're doing - but what's your earworm?

quote:
The convention centre was playing something with nonsense lyrics by Lady Gaga over the PA system: it was almost tolerable until an idiot male colleague did his own reprise! Please, city and production companies - play vintage and good rock and roll or be silent!

Hmmm - probably Bad Romance.
And that one's been overdone by bad X Factor contestants - as evidenced here.

I've got TWO ear worms alternating through my brain. One is "Zooropa" by U2 which is quite a cool tune and I don't mind it so much. The other, however... "Kung Fu Fighting" by ? Stupid song and it needs to be replaced with something better. "Everybody was kung fu fighting!"

"Them kids was fast as lighting..." Carl Douglas, hun, and I'm sorry but it's a COOL song. I always picture Sandra Oh singing it while she mops the floor in "Double Happiness." Nice voice, she has.

But here's something to purge it with.

It is, as far as I am aware, the end of April - this impression is confirmed by both Ship-time and my mobile phone network.

Why then do I have The First Nowell... going round my brain?

...and am I early or late?

Posted by Noteven (# 17073) on :

My brain is stuck on a lovely ode to the foot-pound.

weirdly I've had Harry Chapin's "songs without words" on my ear for several days - weird, because of Harry Chapin songs it's probably the one I know least.

Of course, with Top Of The Pops 1977 repeats running and Pick of the Pops (Radio 2, hosted by Tony Blackburn) bisecting on 1977 - 2 weeks ahead of the TOTP rerun, this one come up again.

Well, Good Morning Judge, how are you today...

Trailor Choir's "Rockin' the Beer Gut".
[Roll Eyes]

Posted by Horseman Bree (# 5290) on :

Apocalyptica "Nothing Else Matters"

(with a nod to Kseniya Simonova)

Posted by Steve H (# 17102) on :

I haven't got one today, thankfully, but yesterday it was, of all things,'The Ferret Song' by John Cleese and the Loving Pruneful, from 'I'm Sorry, I'll Read That Again'.

A very loud and complex four-part "Amen", and I can't think what it's from or who it's by! It seems to be in F minor, which should narrow down the options as it's not a very common key for choral works. [Confused]

Posted by jedijudy (# 333) on :

quote:
A very loud and complex four-part "Amen", and I can't think what it's from or who it's by! It seems to be in F minor, which should narrow down the options as it's not a very common key for choral works. [Confused]

Except at Christmastime! [Biased]

I've had 'This Little Light of Mine' going round and round the brain for the last few days.

After making my previous post, the inevitable happened: 'The Ferret Song' ferretted its way back into my brain. D'oh! [brick wall]

quote:

It's an omen [Paranoid]

I found it! It's the end of Mendelssohn's "O Heiland Reich".
I'm trying really hard to reattach the Mendelssohn earworm, as earlier this evening my daughter sneakily implanted "Go, go, go on Artaban" from an interminable musical version from the legend of the Fourth Wise Man. I have no idea who it's by and I don't know most of the words. It is seriously annoying!

quote:
I had this incredibly frustrating hour this arvo when my ear worm went
quote:
I closed my eyes
drew back the curtain
then I knew for certain
da de dah dah dee

It was like one falling boot.

Eventually Kuruman rescued me.

Was that as in "ZAPZAPZAPZAPZAPZAPZAPZAPZAP" THEN FALLING BOOT?

Posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe (# 5521) on :

"Mad Rush" from Philip Glass' complete organ works. The story of why is too complex to go into right now.

Posted by Jack the Lass (# 3415) on :

I'm so jealous of your earworms, which mostly sound lovely. Today all day, for no discernible reason AT ALL, my earworm has been Cliff Richard's 'Mistletoe and Wine'. Just shoot me now, make it stop! [brick wall]

I am currently on day four of an attack of Bach's 'Passacaglia in C minor.' A piece I am very fond of but has a depressing tendancy to earworm on me. I thought I was over it briefly yesterday as I had a dose of "The Wedge" instead, but it was back this morning.

PD

And that little post just kicked in a round of Joe Jackson's "Passacaglia / A Bud and a Slice" from the underrated album, "Heaven and Hell."

Jackie-- Yours inspired both pity and hilarity, I'm afraid. That is so fucked up. [Snigger]

[ 23. May 2012, 22:16: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

Beethoven's Cavatina, since hearing it for the first time in years on BBC Radio 3 yesterday.

Posted by Tree Bee (# 4033) on :

ELO's Mr Blue Sky.

I'm learning it for Rock Choir - it's going round and round.

I can sometimes get rid of earworms by singing Abba's 'Dancing Queen' to myself. It usually gets rid of it, without becoming an earworm in its turn. In the 70s and 80s, I used the Beatles' 'Hey Jude' for the same purpose.

[ 25. May 2012, 06:59: Message edited by: Steve H ]

Posted by The Intrepid Mrs S (# 17002) on :

Bear Necessities is my way of dislodging ear-worms - and if it lodges in their place, at least it cheers you up!

I horrified friends by being able to sing nearly all of it from memory (my little brothers had the LP, Back In The Day when flat black things were the music delivery method of choice - and before we get sidetracked into another thread, no, I don't wish they would make a comeback!)

Is it possible to conflate three threads - this one, Peter God, and the music-making thread? I wondered whether people who actively <practise> music are more prone to getting earworms lodged, for that exact reason. The band (including me) had to do Thanks Peter God on Sunday morning, and it has been stuck ever since despite my best efforts.

Mrs. S, pricking her paws on the prickly pear

[Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee]

No earworm this morning! The Passacaglia attack lasted six days! [brick wall]

PD

quote:
Originally posted by The Intrepid Mrs S:
Bear Necessities is my way of dislodging ear-worms - and if it lodges in their place, at least it cheers you up!

What a good idea - I will try it next time an earworm strikes!

[Big Grin]

© Ship of Fools 2016