Thread: Good telly - in case you didn't notice Board: Oblivion / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=70;t=022059

Posted by NJA (# 13022) on :

I question the worth of what I pay for TV, but every now and again I get my money-s worth.

Jonathan Meades on France - BBC4 9pm tonight.
This guy could talk on the phone book and it would be entertaining.

I also reccommend: Treasures of Chinese Porcelain

Posted by LutheranChik (# 9826) on :

I don't really make New Year's resolutions, but this year -- especially after a harrowing past year -- I've done some life tweaking, one small part of which was deciding to explore some TV shows that we've never watched before. So one weekend I got out the channel changer and DVR'd all sorts of shows simply on the basis of having heard/read positive things about them, or having seen some intriguing promo for them.

Some of it's good stuff...mostly regional cooking shows and educational shows, although I have been taping "Portlandia," a very quirky IFC comedy that I'm still wondering about.

One of our new favorites is "Pitchin' In," starring Chef Lynn Crawford, who travels around North America spotlighting various foods on a farm-to-table basis. The show itself is formulaic -- Chef Lynn arrives at a farm, "pitches in" on a variety of jobs involving raising and processing the product involved, takes a side trip to some nearby artisanal-food business, then creates a sumptuous multi-course meal starring the spotlighted food. But she seems like a fun gal -- very down-to-earth, isn't squeamish about the nastier parts of farming. It's very entertaining. And sometimes inadvertently, as in a recent episode where the discomfort of a Southern belle farm owner eating a gourmet meal next to her farm workers was almost palpable. I enjoyed that. [Two face]

Posted by Yerevan (# 10383) on :

I hardly watched TV in my 20s but am getting into box sets now that we're at home more in the evenings. At the moment we're happily working through Mad Men and The Walking Dead (all the decent drama seems to be coming from the US at the moment).

Posted by daisymay (# 1480) on :

I always watch "Dad's Army" on Saturday evenings. Also the competitions of Universities and "ordinary" older people individuals, always in other evenings. It's changed quite a lot and many things I don't be able to answer if I was in it [Big Grin]

The times also at lunch-time, when competitors are buying and then selling things, always two groups, red and blue they wear, are IMO fun to watch.

What a bout this year, we have to get our TVs updated? I hope I can do that for mine, not a new one...

Posted by Darkwing (# 16207) on :

Since I live in a university-owned apartment, I don't get cable (or any TV at all). However, my Xbox has become a de facto Netflix machine, so my friends and I have been watching 30 Rock, Arrested Development, Sherlock, etc. Anything not on Netflix I can probably find on Hulu or something and stream through my laptop to the TV.

Posted by doubtingthomas (# 14498) on :

Drama: Sherlock, Doctor Who, Being Human (although I'm awaiting the new series with some trepidation)

Factual: anything Jim Al-Khalili does for BBC4 (science shows that trust their audience to have a brain) - unfortunately, Horizon on BBC2 watered him down a bit, but he was still good...
Also: Human Planet,

Posted by Kelly Alves (# 2522) on :

quote:
Originally posted by doubtingthomas:
Being Human (although I'm awaiting the new series with some trepidation)

BBC's doing another season??!!

Posted by Lyda*Rose (# 4544) on :

I'm eagerly awaiting Worst Cooks in America on the Food Network. Somehow I think Bobby Flay and his team is going to do better against Ann Burrell and hers than Beau MacMillan or Robert Irvine did in the last two seasons. These poor, helpless, kitchen meatheads need someone both firm and upbeat. Ann is both, like a good second grade teacher. Beau was neither. Robert was a little more cheerful but lost patience in the final round. I think Bobby will treat the whole thing as a lark and yet keep all his kitchen toddlers on track.

Posted by Ariel (# 58) on :

Best things on telly: Sherlock, by a mile, and Downton Abbey, though the second series wasn't as good as the first. Countryfile is still good - I like the "Adam's Farm" slot.

quote:
Originally posted by daisymay:
What a bout this year, we have to get our TVs updated? I hope I can do that for mine, not a new one...

If you have a Scart socket you should be able to connect a Freeview set top box. Reception isn't always as good as analogue, though, or so I've found.

Posted by Surfing Madness (# 11087) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
quote:

Never watched it, but they are talking about the new series on the BBC breakfast show this morning.

Oh, I've missed those guys. [Big Grin]

quote:
quote:

Starting this Sunday, sans Mitchell (Aidan Turner filming the Hobbit), George (Russel Tovey embarking on a grand career) and Nina (not sure why)...
So there will be Annie with two new housemates. If Toby Whitehouse can pull that off, I'll be very impressed.
( http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00hqlc4 )

[ 03. February 2012, 23:08: Message edited by: doubtingthomas ]

quote:
These poor, helpless, kitchen meatheads need someone both firm and upbeat. Ann is both, like a good second grade teacher.
We love Ann Burell at our house! "Secrets of a Restaurant Chef" is another good how-to show of hers.

DP isn't usually keen on history TV shows, but one of my favorite series (DVR'd for when she's taking a nap;-)) is PBS's "The American Experience." I've often thought that, instead of exporting "Bay Watch" and Lord knows what other stupid American programming, we should be exporting "The American Experience" all around the world so that people get a true understanding of America's cultural DNA.

Posted by piglet (# 11803) on :

BBC Canada has just shown a sitcom called In with the Flynns which I reckon was a distinct improvement on most of the dross they've been churning out recently in the name of comedy. Although set very firmly in the present, it had a nice old-fashioned family sitcom feel about it - the sort of thing Auntie Beeb does so well.

quote:
Starting this Sunday, sans Mitchell (Aidan Turner filming the Hobbit), George (Russel Tovey embarking on a grand career) and Nina (not sure why)...
So there will be Annie with two new housemates. If Toby Whitehouse can pull that off, I'll be very impressed.
( http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00hqlc4 )

(No offense Aiden, but I already grieved over Mitchell ) George! BAWWW!
[Waterworks]

I know I am probably well in the minority on this one, but I couldn't even look at Turner when Tovey was on screen. Alvisimo thinks I'm insane.

And I guess I can see the sense of Nina's plotline dissolving without George, but still, BAWWW! [Waterworks] (I loved Nina. LOVED HER.)

I hope they at least get a couple eps to go out in a blaze of glory.

[codefix]

[ 14. February 2012, 11:02: Message edited by: Marvin the Martian ]

Posted by Chas of the Dicker (# 12769) on :

Call the Midwives is a better than average BBC Sunday evening nostalgia fest. But please let there be another series of Rev....

Posted by malik3000 (# 11437) on :

BTW what's up with BBC America? It's sems like all they're showing these days is "Battlestar Galactica" reruns.

Posted by Firenze (# 619) on :

Could be worse: the screen before me is currently showing Neil Diamond in a crotch-hoicking red satin jumpsuit singing 'Play Me'.

Just cautiously spread my fingers to see it's now Elton John and Kiki Dee.

(It's some sort of Valentine's Day pop necromancy thingie).

Posted by Schroedinger's cat (# 64) on :

Roger and Val have just returned. This is not everyones cup of tea, but is very brave and clever drama.

Posted by Kyzyl (# 374) on :

I'm hooked on "Alcatraz". Basic JJ Abrams mystery within a mystery stuff. Fills my "Lost" shaped hole and my need for weird TV shows. Plus, Jorge Garcia!!

(Edit: spelling)

[ 14. February 2012, 21:05: Message edited by: Kyzyl ]

Baka: A Cry from the Rainforest

How one small tribe is being squeezed by conservation and economic development, and the introduction of alcohol ... how being shown the film of them 25 years previously helps them to seek the old ways.
I found it touching.

"Phil Agland revisits the Baka people he filmed 25 years previously in Cameroon, west Africa, to explore how life has changed for the new generation. The families are shown the original documentary for the first time, which prompts them to undertake a journey deep into the forest to rediscover how their forebears lived. The programme reveals how the communities are caught between their traditional existences and an outside world that shuns them. Phil is also reunited with Camera, who was born during the making of the first film, and her brother Ali, both of whom now have children themselves."
(TV Guide)
(The original documentary was screened later))

Posted by Sir Kevin (# 3492) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:

...it's now Elton John and Kiki Dee.

We saw them both on our first big date in 1975: the Rock of the Westies tour at our university basketball court and concert venue. Billie Jean King the tennis player was also there for the song about the Philadelphia Freedoms... I still have the shirt!

Posted by wilson (# 37) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's cat:
Roger and Val have just returned. This is not everyones cup of tea, but is very brave and clever drama.

Yep. Not sure yet if it's as good as the first series but it's still very good. I particularly enjoyed Val's box interview aid!

I took a while to get into Roger and Val series one, so I am prepared to give it a little more time. The revelations about their lost child in series 1 were so brilliantly done. And once you realised this, it all made sense.

Ok, that qualifies this series of R&VHJGI as being awesome.

As a concept, it is so clever. telling a story around that important half hour between home and work. And it works, because it is written so well.

Posted by Chorister (# 473) on :

There is a series starting tonight on BBC4, called Catholics, 9-10pm, looking at various groups of Roman Catholic people in Britain today. Episode 1 is about 'Priests', Episode 2 about 'Children', and they're not letting on what Episode 3 is about yet.

Sounds like it might be worth watching.

Posted by QLib (# 43) on :

Hmmmm .... I think 'Pramface' on BBC3 looks more like my cup of tea.

Posted by Eigon (# 4917) on :

I'm looking forward to the History of Wales series, starting on Monday on the BBC.

Posted by Alex Cockell (# 7487) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
Best things on telly: Sherlock, by a mile, and Downton Abbey, though the second series wasn't as good as the first. Countryfile is still good - I like the "Adam's Farm" slot.

quote:
Originally posted by daisymay:

If you have a Scart socket you should be able to connect a Freeview set top box. Reception isn't always as good as analogue, though, or so I've found.
They've just jacked up the TX power from Hannington - Meridian area is going through Digital Switchover now...

Oh - for good TV - go to BBC4 on a Friday night. Basically their music strands... always good.

Posted by piglet (# 11803) on :

BBC Canada aired the first couple of episodes of a comedy called Spy tonight. I reckon it's going to be quite good, and when I saw the credits at the end I could see why - it was produced by Jimmy Mulville and Hat Trick Productions, whose output in the 80s and 90s was beyond compare. Now why can't BBC Canada put out a bit more of their stuff? I'd much rather see re-runs of classics like Chelmsford 123 than the ubiquitous Little Britain.

Posted by orfeo (# 13878) on :

I am genuinely appreciative of The Good Wife these days. The first half of the first season, they were in 'case of the week' mode. Then they started to learn what they could do with their characters, and it's developed into a show that is frequently full of rich cross-currents where the legal, personal and political all collide with each other.

Posted by Dafyd (# 5549) on :

quote:
I hope they at least get a couple eps to go out in a blaze of glory.

George and Nina. [Tear]

So what do we think so far?

[ 25. February 2012, 23:33: Message edited by: Dafyd ]

Posted by Pine Marten (# 11068) on :

I was quite shocked that we lost *both* George and Nina. I watched the first ep but didn't bother after that, though I might catch up on iPlayer.

It's lost its way, I think. There were shades of John Connor in the baby Messiah storyline, but having Mr Weasley - sorry, Mark Williams - in the cast just shattered the whole thing for me. And then killing off new characters in the same ep as they were introduced.... it was all too much too soon. Tom the werewolf has grown on me as a character, but losing George and Nina so soon after losing Mitchell [Waterworks] was the last straw.

Episodes two and three have been upbeat. For Being Human, that is. I've even been giggling in a slightly nervous sort of way.

I'm not too sure about the baby-messiah plotline.
It has all become a bit big and epic, and most "normal" people they interact with seem to end up dead, which I don't think was the original idea of the show...

I was also surprised that George was using all those crucifixes to protect the baby, having seen off vampires with his star of David in the past - is the series sliding into well-trodden ruts? I remember back then we were told it was the faith that counts not the symbol.

Still lots of detail to enjoy, and I like it that they allow Annie to grieve, at least a little bit.
I do like Hal - a worthy successor to Mitchell, not just a replacement - and like Pine Marten, I am beginning to warm to Tom.

quote:
It has all become a bit big and epic, and most "normal" people they interact with seem to end up dead, which I don't think was the original idea of the show...

Yes. Although I think the original idea of the show went out the window as soon as they introduced Herrick.

quote:
I was also surprised that George was using all those crucifixes to protect the baby, having seen off vampires with his star of David in the past - is the series sliding into well-trodden ruts?
True. Bad Being Human.

quote:
I do like Hal - a worthy successor to Mitchell, not just a replacement - and like Pine Marten, I am beginning to warm to Tom.
They're a fun double act.

Butterflies, bees and blooms so impressed me I wrote to my local council. It sems so obvious for social, ecological and financial reasons to create meadows instead of plain grass that needs to be mown or identikit bedding plants.

Posted by leo (# 1458) on :

Melvin Bragg on social class in Britain was good.

The programme on boy bands was entertaining.

quote:
Originally posted by Dafyd:
quote:
...It has all become a bit big and epic, and most "normal" people they interact with seem to end up dead, which I don't think was the original idea of the show...

Yes. Although I think the original idea of the show went out the window as soon as they introduced Herrick.
Herrick worked for me as a threat to the set-up, but they keep trying to increase the threat, and it's got a bit out of hand, imho. [Frown]

On the non-fiction side, good telly recently has been series 2 of The Lost Kindoms of Africa (more please!), which is still on iplayer, and I am fresh from enjoying Empire (not Absoluetly Awesome, but solid good value - if you like Jeremy Paxman).

[codefix]

[ 28. February 2012, 09:26: Message edited by: Marvin the Martian ]

Posted by Chorister (# 473) on :

quote:
Originally posted by leo:

Melvyn Bragg was very predictable. I could have watched only the first few minutes and not missed much.

Posted by justlooking (# 12079) on :

I'll be watching Big Fat Gypsy Weddings at 9.00 then Prisoners' Wives, also on at 9.00 but available on iplayer a bit later. If I hadn't already seen the first in the new series of Benidorm I'd be watching the repeat of that too - love it.

[ 28. February 2012, 18:30: Message edited by: justlooking ]

Posted by Angloid (# 159) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Chorister:
quote:
Originally posted by leo:

Melvyn Bragg was very predictable. I could have watched only the first few minutes and not missed much.
Slightly disappointing I thought. But he is always good value. He didn't make too much of it, but I get the impression that he believes the myth that the grammar schools were a great social leveller, rather than just giving a leg-up to a very few exceptionally talented working class children like himself.

Did anybody see the fascinating programme with David Hockney and Andrew Marr last night? He (Hockney) is so unpompous and matter-of-fact about his art while showing how deeply he sees beauty in ordinary things and places. A good Lenten meditation.

There is a new program on our "Velocity Channel" called Renaissance Man. It is presented by motoring historian and journalist Alan de Cadenet. He spent this evening riding old motorcycles such as a Brough Superior at Brooklands. He also visited a company which has successfully replicated the Manx Norton and added 20% more horsepower with a bespoke engine. He dealt with racing cars last week.

quote:

I was also surprised that George was using all those crucifixes to protect the baby, having seen off vampires with his star of David in the past - is the series sliding into well-trodden ruts? I remember back then we were told it was the faith that counts not the symbol.

Still lots of detail to enjoy, and I like it that they allow Annie to grieve, at least a little bit.

Agreed about Superbaby. Oy.

I wondered about the crucifixes as well- maybe he had a lot of different religious emblems in there, and the crucifixes were just the prominent ones.

Still and all, Russel Tovey had me choked up three minutes into the show. And the tribute to off screen Nina was well done. And Lenora Critchlow is just-- wow. She never fails to surprise me with her authenticity, and her ability to convey simultaneous vulnerability and kickass.

As you say, though, I wish they would just trust the power of the theme of "being human" and stop with the meta-nonsense. Vampires don't have to take over the world to be plenty scary.

Well, I've just caught up on iPlayer with the eps I missed - phew! I'm enjoying it again. I wept with Tom on his birthday and nearly fainted when Annie 'died'. Maybe too many new characters all at once but it'll be interesting to see where it goes now.

Tom & Hal running a cafe were fun.

Posted by Annie P (# 3453) on :

I've also enjoyed Call the Midwife and now that Upstairs Downstairs has returned, that's more than made me happy on a Sunday.(with A.R. who could ask for more?!)

Also (my other half would call this trashy tv) do like watching One Born Every Minute and Daddy Day Care. Oh, and Operation Hospital with James Martin was quite good, if a little repetitive.

In the more classic documentary department, I've watched the first of three of the Diamond Queen, and also Empire with Jeremy Paxman. I've heard good things about the last Horizon programme, but that might put my exercise programme to pot!

If you want a good two hour historical documentary, I can thoroughly recommend Bomber Boys with Ewan McGregor. Don't know if that's still on the iplayer, but I certainly found it fascinating.

I have a nasty feeling that I too will be watching Big Fat Gypsy Wedding as well... [Eek!] Need I say more...!

Posted by tessaB (# 8533) on :

Anyone else watching Pramface?
A good giggle and a nice warning for my teenage son [Snigger]

Pramface - yes. Enjoyed the first one; missed the second one. Will try to catch up over weekend - thanks for reminding me.

Posted by Eigon (# 4917) on :

It's a pity that The Story of Wales is only on BBC Wales - the first episode was very good indeed, starting with one of my favourites, the Red Lady of Paviland (actually a man!) and including some archaeological sites I'd never heard of, like the Walton Basin, where thousands of trees were used to make a huge enclosure.
Next episode - the Middle Ages - which I know rather more about!

Posted by beatmenace (# 16955) on :

quote:

Malik3000 said

BTW what's up with BBC America? It's sems like all they're showing these days is "Battlestar Galactica" reruns.

Dont be silly - its not possible to have too much BSG. But what has happened to 'Blood and Chrome'.

quote:
Originally posted by Eigon:
It's a pity that The Story of Wales is only on BBC Wales...

Thank you for drawing attention to this programme - living on the wrong side of the border, I would not otherwise have known about it.

Fortunately, the BBC put much regional output on iplayer, so I'm now looking forward to watching it as soon as I have a minute or so.

Posted by Jay-Emm (# 11411) on :

BBC4 are running a series of Dirk Gentley.
It has some resemblance between Dr Who & Sherlock & something else.

Dirk Gently is brilliant. The surreal take on Sherlock Holmes is quite unique.

Also, for those who are missing Downton Abbey, There is always Upstairs Downstairs, the new series of which is on and very good.

Posted by Nanny Ogg (# 1176) on :

I have been watching Royal Marines - Mission Afghanistan on Channel 5 with my boyfriend who is ex army.

The programme has been a real eye opener into the situation over there, and I have nothing but praise for the marines working in difficult and dangerous conditions.

Posted by Aggie (# 4385) on :

My preference for good telly is always a factual or documentary, rather than a "reality" TV show, which is nothing of the sort - just a bunch of people manipulated by the producers, and if there is a phone poll or public voting, then clips are edited to show contestants in good/bad light, depending on the outcome that the producers want.

One of my favourite factual programmes is Horizon on BBC 2. Unfortunately, I do not have many academic qualifications in science, so it is difficult for me to judge how balanced this programme is, and some of the physics stuff that they mention in some episodes: about quarks, anti-quarks, particles, anti-matter etc, goes right over my head!

Last night's Horizon documentary on solar storms and how they affect or how they could potentially affect technology on Earth was particularly interesting.

Posted by wilson (# 37) on :

I enjoyed Dirk Gently but it helps if you don't compare it to the books. As with Eoin Colfer's And Another Thing... it's not until someone tries to write in his voice that I realise how smart Adams really was.

Still Mangan and Boyd are always good value.

quote:

Also, for those who are missing Downton Abbey, There is always Upstairs Downstairs, the new series of which is on and very good.

Just off to watch the rest of the last episode now. Love the whole mix of stories and themes.

quote:
Originally posted by wilson:
I enjoyed Dirk Gently but it helps if you don't compare it to the books. As with Eoin Colfer's And Another Thing... it's not until someone tries to write in his voice that I realise how smart Adams really was.

I do think that Mangan does Dirk very well, Sherlock without the savant ability. But Darren Boyd I am still seeing him as Darren from Rev. Which makes it slightly more surreal.

quote:
quote:

I do think that Mangan does Dirk very well, Sherlock without the savant ability. But Darren Boyd I am still seeing him as Darren from Rev. Which makes it slightly more surreal.
Awesome.

[ 08. March 2012, 19:39: Message edited by: Annie P ]

quote:
Dirk Gently is brilliant. The surreal take on Sherlock Holmes is quite unique.

I've only just wathched it - and I agree.
BTW, is it just me, or is the incidental music referencing Moffat's Sherlock?

quote:
I enjoyed Dirk Gently but it helps if you don't compare it to the books.

I haven't read the books (although I have read other Adams), but they are no firmly on my reading list...

on a differnt note

quote:
Originally posted by Aggie:
Last night's Horizon documentary on solar storms and how they affect or how they could potentially affect technology on Earth was particularly interesting.

That turned out to be rather topical, didn't it? [Biased]

I have never seen Dirk Gently on TV that I remember, though I did like the books.

I watched a three-year-old episode of Top Gear just now which I had recorded a few hours ago. There was a race from London to Edinburgh with James driving an XK120, the fastest car from sixty years ago, Hamster on a Black Shadow, which was the fastest bike until 1973 and poor Jeremy shoveling coal into a steam engine which could rarely do better than 75. James won. We also met Michael Schumacher as The Stig who managed a minute and ten second lap in some Ferrari race car I'd never seen before...

Masterchef is on three nights this week, starting tonight. Shalena, Tom and Andrew have made it to the final.

... and Big Fat Gypsy Weddings is on too.

Posted by Bob Two-Owls (# 9680) on :

quote:

I thought the whole thing, the cuts, the music and the dialogue were very reminiscent of Randall & Hopkirk (Deceased). The original (good) one, not the rubbish remake.

quote:

I don't know if it's referencing it, or merely in the same style, but yes it reminded us of Sherlock as well.

[ 13. March 2012, 18:52: Message edited by: Dafyd ]

Posted by Emma Louise (# 3571) on :

Oooh fab! I haven't watched tv in a while (only thing so far this year was spooks and an episode of the midwife one before realising I'm a bit "raw" for that at the moment (ended up in ICU after my daughter's birth) so don't know what else is on. Usually like BBc made series.

Had no idea Dirk Gently was on (there was a trial one last year wasn't there?). I'm home without my husband and housebound so very excited.... tv tonight!

Emma Louise - there was the first series I think, last year, and this is the second series. Tonights was very good.

Watson and Oliver - new comedy duo, who are very good, I think,. They have a little of Morecambe and Wise about the presentation. And I think they have a real chemistry between them.

quote:
Originally posted by Sir Kevin:
I watched a three-year-old episode of Top Gear just now which I had recorded a few hours ago. There was a race from London to Edinburgh ...

I saw that when it first went out, and enjoyed it greatly! I only watch Top Gear occasionally, but when I do I usually enjoy it, even though I'm not really into cars.

I was looking for any other reviews or opinions on Watson and Oliver, and it getting slammed. Which is a pity, because it makes me laugh, and is clean and entertaining. So watch it now, as it may not get another series.

Posted by Jay-Emm (# 11411) on :

Cheers for the rec, just watched ep1 on iplayer. Liked the sketch where the cafe freezes at the patronising man, and the finale.
Will have to catch up.

quote:
Originally posted by Pine Marten:
Well, I've just caught up on iPlayer with the eps I missed - phew! I'm enjoying it again. I wept with Tom on his birthday and nearly fainted when Annie 'died'. Maybe too many new characters all at once but it'll be interesting to see where it goes now.

Tom & Hal running a cafe were fun.

Am totally in love with Allison. She will have to share space with Annie, yes, but Love.

Oh, and am much relieved that the metastory is riding shotgun to the characters' personal development. This is what makes the show addicting to me.

[ 01. April 2012, 01:20: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

Earlier in this thread I said:

quote:

I think he did.
And I'm impressed.
(Looking forward to the next series now).

Posted by St. Gwladys (# 14504) on :

Antiques Roadshow and Silent Witness tonight. Well I enjoy them!

I'm catching up with some Jeeves and Wooster episodes. Joy - sheer joy.

Posted by ThinkČ (# 1984) on :

I am really enjoying the second series of Scott & Bailey on ITV1, especially pleased with the way they portrayed the murder this week - no shots of the body very desensationalised.

Enjoying Homeland and quite enjoyed the first episode of Once Upon a Time about fairy-tale characters living under a curse.

quote:
Earlier in this thread I said:

quote:

I think he did.
And I'm impressed.
(Looking forward to the next series now).

So am I.
I hope you know who from the future visited George and Nina and explained why Annie would be showing up with their baby.

Just coming back to this thread for the first time in a bit...

THERE'S A DIRK GENTLY TV SHOW?!?!!

[Yipee]

Gee I hope it comes out to Australia at some point. I know a TV series won't necessarily follow the books, but the first book is one of my favourite things. Ever.

Posted by Marvin the Martian (# 4360) on :

orfeo, if you love the books prepare for disappointment. The show is very different.

Oh. Okay. Right, excitement over.

Twenty Twelve. Brilliant TV.

Twenty Twelve. Brilliant TV.

Seconded - absolutely cringe-makingly funny. Hugh Bonneville is my hero [Yipee]

quote:
Originally posted by Pine Marten:
Seconded - absolutely cringe-makingly funny. Hugh Bonneville is my hero [Yipee]

Especially when the Olympics slogan was released this week - "Inspire A Generation"...

THIS WEEKS TWENTY TWELVE.

Quite awesome, and the "sexual health" theme was stunning.

Seconded again (I'm not stalking you, SC, honest) and I am, like, totally in awe of Jessica Hynes' Siobhan Sharpe and her glassy eyed stare - yo, dude! [Overused]

Yes you are, Pine Marten. I've seen you in the bushes.

I do miss Olivia Coleman, though. Her abrupt disappearance seems like something happened in real life - anyone know? I have tried looking, but with no indication.

According to Hugh Bonneville they are trying to get 3 more episodes filmed for the summer, so maybe Olivia will return..? She is still in the opening credits, I noticed.

She's currently playing in Hay Fever in the West End.

When we were in Florida with the boys, helping Son-in-Law as he convalesced, we found ourselves watching The Big Bang Theory with them...Son #1 especially has Comicon/Trekkie Nerd tendencies (I say this with all fondness), so I think that part of the show resonates with them. (They turned the hip-roofed walk-in closet of their house into what they call the Star Wars Room, to house their collection of action figures from about every space drama and comic book ever invented.) At first mamas kind of rolled our eyes at the show...but it's really quite funny; and I understand that the producers call upon actual science consultants who update all the mathematical equations on the sets and make sure they're correct and timely as far as what university science professors are talking about these days. It's not Seinfeld funny, but it's funnier than the average network sitcom.

Back on the Cooking Channel, we like the show "Eat Street," which spotlights interesting food trucks. Our California branch of the family is heavily into Food Truck Night in the LA area; it's our granddaughter's favorite day of the week, I think; so we recognize some of the featured trucks from the kids' descriptions...and we're always looking for a glimpse of them in line.;-)

On the Travel Channel we've liked The Layover, Tony Bourdain's new series where he gives travelers tips on how to spend 24-48-hour layovers in various world cities. His lodging suggestions tend to be waaaaay overposh for simple folk like us, but we did find ourselves affirming some of his suggestions about American cities like NYC (like eating at the Shake Shack near Central Park).

I have been watching The Bridge, on BBC4. It is in Swedish and Danish, with English subtitles, which is not very promising, but it is very good, and very watchable.

Not everyones cup of tea, I would admit - it is very Swedish, which means moody, surreal, and including random but not gratuitous nudity.

If Wallender is your cup of tea, it might be worth a watch.

I second The Bridge, although I've only seen episode 1 so far (recorded ep. 2 for watching later in the week).

Posted by comet (# 10353) on :

quote:
Originally posted by LutheranChik:
When we were in Florida with the boys, helping Son-in-Law as he convalesced, we found ourselves watching The Big Bang Theory with them...Son #1 especially has Comicon/Trekkie Nerd tendencies (I say this with all fondness), so I think that part of the show resonates with them. (They turned the hip-roofed walk-in closet of their house into what they call the Star Wars Room, to house their collection of action figures from about every space drama and comic book ever invented.) At first mamas kind of rolled our eyes at the show...but it's really quite funny; and I understand that the producers call upon actual science consultants who update all the mathematical equations on the sets and make sure they're correct and timely as far as what university science professors are talking about these days. It's not Seinfeld funny, but it's funnier than the average network sitcom.

FAMILY FAVORITE!

I'm sure it's all relative, but Seinfeld never did a thing for me, while BBT makes me almost want to have television in my home again. lovelovelove.

3.14 geeky thumbs up!

Posted by Val Kyrie (# 17079) on :

I really get caught up in The Apprentice, it is such a great show. I'm enjoying this series, just as I have enjoyed them all. The stupid tasks, the crazy people, Nick and Karen (sp?) and of course Lord Sugar... Brilliant!

Like everyone else watching, I KNOW I could win it easily. [Biased]

quote:
I second The Bridge, although I've only seen episode 1 so far (recorded ep. 2 for watching later in the week).

There is a limit to how much one can cope with in 24 hours, isn't there? I have just found out that it is a 10 episode series, which might have put me off - I thought it was going to be a short series. But that means it is worth catching up with.

quote:
Originally posted by beatmenace:
quote:

Malik3000 said

Dont be silly - its not possible to have too much BSG. But what has happened to 'Blood and Chrome'.
If that's the Ron Moore version - I wish the Beeb would secure the FTA rights for over here...

quote:
quote:

There is a limit to how much one can cope with in 24 hours, isn't there? I have just found out that it is a 10 episode series, which might have put me off - I thought it was going to be a short series. But that means it is worth catching up with.
It's a bit like chocolate - I could cope with having it all at once, but it's nicer if it's made to last [Smile]

10 episodes makes 5 weeks, which is manageable even with 2-episode instalments.

I do not have all that much time for watching telly, so I decided against the Killing (which was twice as long iirc) for fear of getting involved, then stuck in a growing backlog after missing a random week somewhere.
A longer run of one hour per week would have been better (that's what it both are produced for anyway!)

Saga Noren from the Bridge would be maddening to work with.

Apparently, the actress found it a real strain to be that psychopathic for the filming.

I think she is meant to be on the autistic spectrum rather than a psychopath.

Yes - it was just that the profile they were doing of the murderer, that matched her perfectly too. Ok, she is on the autistic spectrum, but she is also wacky. In a nice sort of way, of course.

I do think that "How's your scrotum" has to be one of the best greetings ever.

Posted by Trudy Scrumptious (# 5647) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
orfeo, if you love the books prepare for disappointment. The show is very different.

Thanks to this thread I finally managed to check out an episode of Dirk Gently. I was glad for Marvin's warning as I'd have been very disappointed had I expected it to follow the plot of the books in any way. Even though it didn't, I felt like the actor really captured the character of Dirk Gently as Adams wrote him, and I found it very funny. Plus the obvious Sherlock parodies made it even funnier.

quote:
Yes - it was just that the profile they were doing of the murderer, that matched her perfectly too. Ok, she is on the autistic spectrum, but she is also wacky. In a nice sort of way, of course.

Yes, I like her for it, and I also like the way everyone allows her to be herself and respects her.

As for the parallels between her and the murderer's profile, that was hinted at more than the once, and I wonder if it is going to become a plot point.

[ 02. May 2012, 23:20: Message edited by: doubtingthomas ]

The Bridge finished and was stunning. Worth watching.

I am currently watching Great Ormand Street. I am hooked on this, because some of what they are doing blows my mind. And the emotional rollercoasters they go on are astounding.

And yet I find it uplifting, because some of the children they deal with get better. But a lot of them die. And this week is the Heart Transplant week, meaning that you know half of them will probably not make it.

quote:
The Bridge finished and was stunning. Worth watching.

I finished watching it on iplayer last night. I think it would have been a fairly standard example of the genre if not for Saga. Saga is brilliant. Perhaps she'd be a bit trying to actually work with but anytime she wasn't on screen I was waiting for her to come back.

It wasn't just Saga, but the relationship between her and Martin. While everyone else accepts her (which is great in itself), Martin actually teaches her what makes other people tick. I was glad it ended on her going on that date.

© Ship of Fools 2016