Thread: Please remind me why the taxpayers should stump up your rent Board: Oblivion / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=70;t=022718

Posted by Stoker (# 11939) on :

Scroungers moaning about having benefits cut.

Please could someone explain why some people in our society expect the government to fund their lifestyle choices. I don't think I actually know anybody who spends £21,000 on accomodation per year. I know lots of people who spend significantly less but have to work hard, scrimp and sacrifice stable family time and life to pay rent and mortgages.

The welfare state is there to give strugglers a leg up, not a blanket bloody free for all.

Too many fuckers know their rights, not enough know their responsibilities.

Posted by Snags (# 15351) on :

Is the "unemployed lifestyle" in anyway related to the "gay lifestyle"?

Still, at least there's a handy faceless group to vent your frustration on, without any need to perhaps get a fucking clue about their actual circumstances, attitudes, 'choices' and so on.

Posted by JonahMan (# 12126) on :

A mortgage of around £275,000 would cost about £400 a week in repayments (obviously depending on the interest rate and length of the mortgage). And although I don't live in London I would imagine that £275,000 doesn't get you that far, if you have a family to house. If you don't own your own home, then renting privately would be more expensive.

What is iniquitous is that house prices (and thus rents) in London are so huge compared with the rest of the country (and compared with many wages, even with London weighting), and that the housing sector is badly regulated (if at all).

I think it's a major problem that the UK is so centred on London that too many people and jobs (and thus families, people who become unemployed etc) are located there. When attempts are made to redress this, like the BBC move to Salford, it doesn't really seem to work very well.

The 'scroungers' of your title won't be seeing any of the money anyway - it will all go straight to landlords, some of them already immensely rich of course. You should really be asking why taxpayers money is going to those people.

What would you propose to do instead? And how would how deal with the consequences?

Jonah

Posted by Jigsaw (# 11433) on :

Where in the article did it say that these people are scroungers? Mightn't they be working hard as cleaners, catering workers, nurses, firefighters, teachers? If you're going to get cross about something, maybe you should direct it at the social cleansing in Westminster Council's aim to ship the poorer people well out of London.

Posted by Nunc Dimittis (# 848) on :

The rhetoric is all that there is no social cleansing going on... But judging by what they did in Sydney in 2000, I wouldn't believe what they are saying. Like it or not, the poor and the dirty, the outcast, the "underbelly" is one London would be eager NOT to show the world...

Posted by mousethief (# 953) on :

Let them die and decrease the surplus population.

Posted by Golden Key (# 1468) on :

I don't see any sign of poor lifestyle choices in that article. People can be in need of help through no fault of their own. And haven't you ever heard of the "working poor"?

It looks like that's the limit the council will pay for people who are housed in regular apartments instead of council housing?? That would be something like Section 8 housing here, or other programs that involve vouchers.

IME, people make remarks like yours when they're feeling over-whelmed, have never been on benefits themselves, and assume that people on benefits are getting a much better deal. You having a bad day??

Posted by ianjmatt (# 5683) on :

Sorry - if someone cannot afford to live in a particular area then it is time to move. I have turned down jobs because I know that we would wouldn't be able to afford the rent anywhere close to the place of work. Didn't expect any sympathy - you make your choice. I don't see why the taxpayer should subsidise it.

Posted by Golden Key (# 1468) on :

And if they can't afford to move? If there are no jobs in areas they might be able to afford?

I don't know about the UK; but here in the US, many people are One Paycheck Away (tm) from homelessness. Not because they did anything wrong, nor because they aren't working hard enough, nor because they don't want anything better for themselves and their families.

The economy is crap; the (worst among the) ultra-rich and powerful, and their corporations, get away with crap; and the poor are blamed for the crap.

Posted by Ricardus (# 8757) on :

quote:
Originally posted by ianjmatt:
Sorry - if someone cannot afford to live in a particular area then it is time to move. I have turned down jobs because I know that we would wouldn't be able to afford the rent anywhere close to the place of work. Didn't expect any sympathy - you make your choice. I don't see why the taxpayer should subsidise it.

Yeah, but Newham council didn't just want them to move to a cheaper borough, it wanted them to move to fucking STOKE ON TRENT which is 160 miles away!

Posted by PerkyEars (# 9577) on :

quote:
The 'scroungers' of your title won't be seeing any of the money anyway - it will all go straight to landlords, some of them already immensely rich of course. You should really be asking why taxpayers money is going to those people.
[Overused]

Posted by Spike (# 36) on :

quote:

It's all very well saying that if you are choosing to move to a new area. What about people who have lived in a particular area all their lives? They didn't ask for rents to be forced up.

Exactly. There's a certain irony in calling the tenants scroungers, when the people who have forced the rents up are landlords, who are also scroungers - at least to the extent that they're getting paid not for doing any work, but merely from owning a set of title deeds.

Posted by Doc Tor (# 9748) on :

quote:

Hang on. Are you suggesting that employers are offering jobs in an area of known high rents at a rate that means people who might take those jobs can't afford to live nearby, so that they're required to claim for housing benefit?

That's an outrage. We should force employers to pay a living wage rather than subsidising their poverty-wages.

Posted by Marvin the Martian (# 4360) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Ricardus:
the people who have forced the rents up are landlords, who are also scroungers - at least to the extent that they're getting paid not for doing any work, but merely from owning a set of title deeds.

But to what extent have those rents risen due to councils setting their price caps at the median price rather than the lowest? As soon as the landlords demanding lower rents see that the council will happily pay more, they're inevitably going to increase their charges to take advantage of the fact - as you say, it's free money. That pushes the median rent up even higher, which in turn pushes up the amount councils are happy to pay and thus the cost of renting.

It's a vicious cycle which leads to massive inflation and thus prices poorer people (and, eventually, councils) out of the market. I'm not sure that a perfect solution exists, but the council moving to a strategy of setting their price cap at a lower level should at least slow down the inflation. If landlords can no longer get tenants they will have to either lower their prices or sell their uneconomical properties, both of which options will result in more homes available to people with more limited means.

That wouldn't happen though. The landlords would simply evict the tenants and find someone else prepared to may the market rate.

Posted by Chorister (# 473) on :

quote:
Yeah, but Newham council didn't just want them to move to a cheaper borough, it wanted them to move to fucking STOKE ON TRENT which is 160 miles away!

Oh blimey, there is enough congestion in the Stoke on Trent area as it is....

quote:
Originally posted by Doc Tor:
quote:

Hang on. Are you suggesting that employers are offering jobs in an area of known high rents at a rate that means people who might take those jobs can't afford to live nearby, so that they're required to claim for housing benefit?

That's an outrage. We should force employers to pay a living wage rather than subsidising their poverty-wages.

Good idea - let's see if the local corner shop is happy paying £60K a year for its staff. I'm guessing that is the minimum going rate to support a family in Kensington or similar.

Seriously - some places are expensive to live. If you can't afford to live there, live somewhere else. Yes people need help , but above a reasonable amount, it is time to move if you can't afford it.

[ 25. April 2012, 08:57: Message edited by: ianjmatt ]

Posted by fletcher christian (# 13919) on :

Not that I would wish ill on anyone, but for some - especially the willfully stupid - hard personal experience is the only teacher. So Stoker I do hope that in a years time you haven't lost your job and find yourself sitting on negative equity (or your mummy and daddy loose their jobs and you end up living on a council estate and having to do a paper round every day to help make ends meet).

Posted by dyfrig (# 15) on :

Some interesting reflections on why these terrible poor people just sit on their arses and do nothing, written in the context of international aid, with parallels that can be drawn in relation to those parts of society to whom The Market markedly fails to provide a solution.

Posted by la vie en rouge (# 10688) on :

Another thing to factor in - those people who have a (possibly quite well-paying) job and then lose it.

quote:
Good idea - let's see if the local corner shop is happy paying £60K a year for its staff. I'm guessing that is the minimum going rate to support a family in Kensington or similar.

But it must be obvious that this situation is unsustainable, unless either -

a. Some low-paid workers receive subsidies to live in Kensington;

b. All Kensington corner-shops and similar enterprises are shut down.

ETA: or c. Kensington rates are driven aggressively downwards.

[ 25. April 2012, 10:30: Message edited by: Ricardus ]

Posted by Sioni Sais (# 5713) on :

quote:
quote:
quote:

Seriously - some places are expensive to live. If you can't afford to live there, live somewhere else. Yes people need help , but above a reasonable amount, it is time to move if you can't afford it.

Then an awful lot of work that relies of low pay won't get done. Not merely cleaners and shop workers but teachers, nurses, transport workers: the entire infrastructure that The City relies on.

I suppose that 'reasonable amount' needs to be looked at but if a reasonable salary for a city trader is well into six figures even before bonuses what should it be for those who never see a bonus?

Posted by Matt Black (# 2210) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Spike:
quote:

It's all very well saying that if you are choosing to move to a new area. What about people who have lived in a particular area all their lives? They didn't ask for rents to be forced up.
Er...so? No-one has the 'right' to live in the same area all their lives - we all have to go where the work is, where the housing is that we can afford (or, if we are asking taxpayers to pay for our housing, where the taxpayer can afford), etc. If either or both ain't there, then we can't afford to live there. I don't see why one group of us should be exempt from that basic fact at the -literal - expense of the rest of us.

quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
quote:
the people who have forced the rents up are landlords, who are also scroungers - at least to the extent that they're getting paid not for doing any work, but merely from owning a set of title deeds.

But to what extent have those rents risen due to councils setting their price caps at the median price rather than the lowest? As soon as the landlords demanding lower rents see that the council will happily pay more, they're inevitably going to increase their charges to take advantage of the fact - as you say, it's free money. That pushes the median rent up even higher, which in turn pushes up the amount councils are happy to pay and thus the cost of renting.

It's a vicious cycle which leads to massive inflation and thus prices poorer people (and, eventually, councils) out of the market. I'm not sure that a perfect solution exists, but the council moving to a strategy of setting their price cap at a lower level should at least slow down the inflation. If landlords can no longer get tenants they will have to either lower their prices or sell their uneconomical properties, both of which options will result in more homes available to people with more limited means.

I'll suggest yet again something that would help. There are something like 930,000 empty homes in the UK including about 300,000 that have been empty for more than six months. The overall total includes nearly 75,000 in the London area.

Sort that out, provide jobs for tens of thousand and homes for about a million. If there's a free market the extra homes ought to drive rents and purchase prices down. For that reason alone I suppose it will never happen.

quote:
But it must be obvious that this situation is unsustainable, unless either -

a. Some low-paid workers receive subsidies to live in Kensington;

b. All Kensington corner-shops and similar enterprises are shut down.

ETA: or c. Kensington rates are driven aggressively downwards.

(b) is the mechanism by which (c) happens. Or a mechanism by which it happens, at any rate.

quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
I'll suggest yet again something that would help. There are something like 930,000 empty homes in the UK including about 300,000 that have been empty for more than six months. The overall total includes nearly 75,000 in the London area.

Sort that out, provide jobs for tens of thousand and homes for about a million. If there's a free market the extra homes ought to drive rents and purchase prices down.

Absolutely. I'm not suggesting that my proposed solution is the only solution in any way - and if the councils bought all those houses, renovated them and then acted as the landlord themselves it could lead to massive cost savings down the line.

Good idea, Sioni.

At the moment, many people who own empty houses are put off renting them out by the huge tax and other legal issues involved. Maybe have a simple way of doing it (with a tax free amount on rent income perhaps if rents are kept below a certain level?).

At the moment all rent is classed as income if you are a private landlord and taxed accordingly which incentivises keeping them high to offset the tax. Maybe classing it separately with an incentive to keep rents low would work.

Posted by Jane R (# 331) on :

quote:
At the moment all rent is classed as income if you are a private landlord and taxed accordingly which incentivises keeping them high to offset the tax. Maybe classing it separately with an incentive to keep rents low would work.
Why should private landlords (many of whom are doing very nicely out of the housing market) be taxed at a lower rate than the rest of the populace simply because they derive their wealth from rents instead of a salary? Landlords are allowed to offset the costs of maintaining the house (including the cost of any mortgage payments) against the rent and are only charged tax on the profit they make, just like any other owner of a business. If you were not previously aware of this and have a spare property to rent out I suggest you take a look at the HMRC website for more details. Having tenants in a house is almost always better than leaving it empty.

Remind me again why London should be allowed to dump its social problems on the rest of the country? There are plenty of people already living in Stoke-on-Trent who would like a chance to rent one of those affordable houses; there's no need to import a bunch of Londoners to fill them up.

Posted by LutheranChik (# 9826) on :

I used to work for a county housing commission, the local provider of low-income government apartments and family townhouses...the rents were one-third of whatever income the individual/household had, adjusted for things like ongoing medical costs. I hardly see that as "scrounging"; one-third of one's income on housing is a higher percentage than most personal financial planners consider a healthy one.

Plus: In the American system, if such recipients get up the gumption to find a job/a better job and their income rises -- their rent rises so that, no matter what, they're always paying a third of their income, up to an income ceiling after which they must find other housing.

There's not a lot of positive incentive built into this system to wean working people from government housing; the working poor actually had disincentives to improve their jobs or working hours, because they couldn't get ahead; and if a raise or more hours tipped their income enough, they'd lose some important aspect of their aid package that wouldn't be made up by the increased income.

At least our properties had a lot of control in terms of requiring standards of cleanliness, tidiness and neighborly behavior; we were known for keeping a tight ship. We had to; we were constantly being audited and inspected by the feds. There's also a US program that provides the working poor and disabled with housing vouchers that can be applied toward "approved" other landlords; this housing is much more dicey because there's less oversight.

quote:
Originally posted by Jane R:
Why should private landlords (many of whom are doing very nicely out of the housing market) be taxed at a lower rate than the rest of the populace simply because they derive their wealth from rents instead of a salary? Landlords are allowed to offset the costs of maintaining the house (including the cost of any mortgage payments) against the rent and are only charged tax on the profit they make, just like any other owner of a business. If you were not previously aware of this and have a spare property to rent out I suggest you take a look at the HMRC website for more details. Having tenants in a house is almost always better than leaving it empty.

I know exactly how the tax system works, thanks.

I was simply trying to suggest a way of incentivising landlords to keep rents low, by providing a tax break to keep rents at a certain level. This would be a more cost use of taxpayers money than paying huge amounts of housing benefit to the same landlords.

Posted by Erroneous Monk (# 10858) on :

There are a few issues here:
1) The whole letter to Stoke on Trent, followed by release to the press seems to be a clear put up job. it is a bit sad if that is what has happen for local government to get a message to central government - it doesn't seem very constructive. But then given it's a Labour council trying to embarrass rather than influence the Coalition, I don't suppose they're interested in being constructive.
2) Constructive strategies would include Sioni Sais's suggestion for some council appropriation rights for empty property (within reason and with protection for homes legitimately empty.) As well as that, all London councils should have a serious crackdown on illegal sub-letting of council property.
3) We need more affordable housing in London, so the government is going to have to invest, and the builders are going to have to build. Ken Livingstone committed to building a certain amount of affordable housing. He didn't however see through on that commitment for a couple of reasons. He was determined to get "landmark" buildings built, and therefore allowed these to get the go-ahead even without the agreed percentage of affordable housing. There was also a pretty big loophole in that developers were exempted from the affordable housing requirement if a certain amount of the development was "live/work". This led to widespread developments of "live/work" units, which were really just high spec apartments for professionals, and did not in fact lead to any growth in urban "cottage industry" whilst continuing to price key workers out of areas that were being developed and improved. So that loophole, if it is still there, has to go.

quote:
quote:

I know exactly how the tax system works, thanks.

I was simply trying to suggest a way of incentivising landlords to keep rents low, by providing a tax break to keep rents at a certain level. This would be a more cost use of taxpayers money than paying huge amounts of housing benefit to the same landlords.

Hang on a minute.

If one owns or is buying a house there are two ways in which you gain
i) somewhere to live or rental income
ii) a capital gain as the house price increases

OK, rental income is taxed but costs of repairs are deductable, unlike putting a roof on one's own abode. A capital gain is taxed when it is realised.

Why anyone should leave anywhere empty beats me. We don't have the wild and woolly 1976 Rent Act any more. Hell, squatters have better tenure than shorthold tenants, so it pays every way to let rather than leave empty.

Posted by leo (# 1458) on :

The reason why Stoker (and we other taxpayers) should pay their rent is because Stoker may be made redundant one day and lose his accommodation.

Ours is a society based om Christian values (just about) - we help each other.

But must the taxpayer pay for Stoker to live in such expensive accommodation? Putting another way, what right has Stoker to insist on living somewhere at the taxpayer's expense that's too expensive for the taxpayer to live?

quote:
Originally posted by Matt Black:
But must the taxpayer pay for Stoker to live in such expensive accommodation? Putting another way, what right has Stoker to insist on living somewhere at the taxpayer's expense that's too expensive for the taxpayer to live?

Now and again (and again) we are inclined to forget that taxes are not levied for the benefit of the taxed!

I don't think Stoker has any right to have the rent paid for an eight-bedroomed palace in stockbroker belt either, but it makes sense to pay that rather than expect him to move at his own expense to accomodation more befitting his reduced circumstances, as these may be temporary. It's a utilitarian thing, for the most part.

Posted by Think² (# 1984) on :

Creating a situation where the rich never have to encounter the poor, share their schooling, healthcare, streets etc creates little social uncentive to prevent the creation of ghettos of deprivation, gated communities and a divided society. Even Boris Johnson - hardly Marxist - has noticed this will be a problem.

If the councils had not been forced to sell off so much of their housing stock then the private landlords wouldn't have them over a barrel. (Incidentally, this is exactly what will happen with health and social care - private sector initially underbids state sector, then once you have tendered away most of the service - quelle surprise - the private sector prices go up.)

quote:
[QUOTE]Hang on a minute.

OK, rental income is taxed but costs of repairs are deductable, unlike putting a roof on one's own abode. A capital gain is taxed when it is realised.

Why anyone should leave anywhere empty beats me. We don't have the wild and woolly 1976 Rent Act any more. Hell, squatters have better tenure than shorthold tenants, so it pays every way to let rather than leave empty.

You seem to have fixated on the wrong bit. I was talking about both getting empty properties let AND getting current rents down.

I agree - it may be more beneficial to rent an empty property, but my main point on the tax incentives is that by offering a tax break to keep rent within a certain amount (which should be similar to a housing benefit cap) is better use of taxpayers money and benefits all tenants in the area.

quote:
quote:
[QUOTE]Hang on a minute.

You seem to have fixated on the wrong bit. I was talking about both getting empty properties let AND getting current rents down.

I agree - it may be more beneficial to rent an empty property, but my main point on the tax incentives is that by offering a tax break to keep rent within a certain amount (which should be similar to a housing benefit cap) is better use of taxpayers money and benefits all tenants in the area.

Yup, my mistake. I expect the devil will all be in the detail and who will set the cap? Balancing the interest of landlords and tenants when there is a (sometimes artificial) housing shortage will be like a lasting peace in the Middle East.

Posted by Ariel (# 58) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Stoker:
I don't think I actually know anybody who spends £21,000 on accommodation per year.

£21,000 a year in rent is £1750 a month. Renting even a single room in a shared flat in London can cost £200 a week or more (= £800 a month or £9600 a year) - and that's only one room, never mind a whole flat. On that basis, while it sounds a lot, I don't find it difficult to believe that £21,000 is the likely annual rent for a three-bedroom house somewhere in the London area.

You see shared houses with 3-4 bedrooms being let for something like £400 pcm a room round here (which is not London), which nets the landlord something like £1600 a month, which is £19,200 a year. This is how landlords end up becoming professional property landlords, buying up other properties with the income they make purely out of rentals. There's never any question of the properties ever remaining vacant for long - demand is such that if you ring up at 9.30 am the day something is advertised, you may well find it's already gone.

Renting is a mug's game but once you are in it it can be quite difficult to save up enough to move on, or to eventually get a mortgage.

quote:

Depends how many kids he has, where his friends and other family are.

Before this dreadful government, it was already the case that NEW claims only paid enough rent to suit the person e.g. if a single person claimed fort a 2 bedroomed flat, s/he only got the price of one-bedroomed flat and was expected to move or pay extra.

Posted by Tina (# 63) on :

The £950 we pay in rent each month gets us a pleasant, small 2-bedroomed terrace house, in the next London 'village' east from where Spike was born and raised.

A quick visit to good ol' Rightmove shows that in Stoke-on-Trent such a house would cost around £350 per month, while £950 would cover the rent on a four-bedroomed detached house.

Thus we reasonably-paid folk have some choice about where we live (although I couldn't afford £950 per month if I either quit my London job or paid thousands of pounds a year to commute). We get to decide whether space, luxury or location are our most important criteria.

While I understand the sense of frustration at large rents coming out of the public purse, and sometimes to people who refuse to work, or who keep having shedloads of kids they can't support, forcing people away from their roots and support networks Is Just Wrong.

And of course, Housing Benefit:
a) is only £21k in exceptional circumstances (ie if you are eligible for a large property in an expensive area)
b) is only payable on properties at the lower end of (the lowest 30% IIRC) of the local market
c) is generally paid to landlords, not into the 'scrounger's' hands.
d) is paid to not only to unemployed people, but to disabled and elderly people and working people on low incomes (tut, tut, what irresponsible lifestyle choices to make) [brick wall]

Creating a situation where the rich never have to encounter the poor, share their schooling, healthcare, streets etc creates little social uncentive to prevent the creation of ghettos of deprivation, gated communities and a divided society. Even Boris Johnson - hardly Marxist - has noticed this will be a problem.

If the councils had not been forced to sell off so much of their housing stock then the private landlords wouldn't have them over a barrel. (Incidentally, this is exactly what will happen with health and social care - private sector initially underbids state sector, then once you have tendered away most of the service - quelle surprise - the private sector prices go up.)

Posted by Boogie (# 13538) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Think²:

I couldn't agree more.

So we've got ourselves a situation where housing stock is limited and distressingly expensive, where private landlords dominate the rental sector and live, at least partially, on government handouts, and where the costs of commuting by public transport is in the hands of private rail or bus companies.

I would suggest firstly, an aggressive house building and refurbishment campaign to lower both rental and buying costs; secondly, an end to state handouts to private landlords and a tax on property itself, not just the profit gained from it; thirdly, renationalisation/transfer to a non-profit co-op of the capital's public transport network to make it cheaper to get to work from outlying areas.

We're essentially transferring money from poorer people to richer people through the tax and benefit system. Well done, everyone.

Posted by Ariel (# 58) on :

quote:
I would suggest firstly, an aggressive house building and refurbishment campaign to lower both rental and buying costs;

Where are you going to be building? The south-east is pretty built up already.

Posted by OliviaG (# 9881) on :

quote:
... No-one has the 'right' to live in the same area all their lives - we all have to go where the work is, where the housing is that we can afford (or, if we are asking taxpayers to pay for our housing, where the taxpayer can afford), etc. If either or both ain't there, then we can't afford to live there. I don't see why one group of us should be exempt from that basic fact at the -literal - expense of the rest of us.

The problem my town has is that the work is where no one can afford to live, result being a labour shortage. Because of inaction at every other level of government, the city has stepped in to support more affordable housing for people that they want to stay in the city: paramedics, nurses, firefighters, police, city engineering employees, etc. Lots of small service businesses have a hard time finding staff - no one is going to commute 2 hours each way for a 4 hour shift. So if the taxpayers want functional cities and economies, they'll want to make sure there is a range of housing available for every level of income and employment and type of household. OliviaG

quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
quote:
I would suggest firstly, an aggressive house building and refurbishment campaign to lower both rental and buying costs;

I've already posted that there are nearly 75,000 empty homes in London alone. That isn't all of the south-east by any means and thousands of them will have been empty for years. Councils already have the legal authority to take over unused homes but they often lack the will and, more importantly the funds.

I'd prefer that to new build, as the latter usually creates new communities which make demands for new infrastructure (utilities, schools and, if you're lucky, transport too).

Posted by Anglican't (# 15292) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
quote:

I couldn't agree more.
This has been done before on here, but I'm still none the wiser. If the council owns a house (rather than a private landlord) and Mr Jones has been living in the house for the last 30 years, how does that affect Mr Smith's ability to find a place to live or the rent he has to pay?

quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
quote:

Pretty built up?

So either the south-east has reached an unsustainable population, or there is room for more. If it's unsustainable, then there needs to be a huge intervention to disperse the existing population. If there's room for more (feel free to compare the population densities of London and places like Singapore and Manhattan), then we need to build smarter, supported by better infrastructure.

Which is it to be?

Posted by Jenn. (# 5239) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Anglican't:
This has been done before on here, but I'm still none the wiser. If the council owns a house (rather than a private landlord) and Mr Jones has been living in the house for the last 30 years, how does that affect Mr Smith's ability to find a place to live or the rent he has to pay?

A friend in council housing wants to move area. To do so, she has to find someone in another area to swap with. Our area is undesirable so few people want to move here. Those who do generally want something better than they already have, which means she will have to downsize. She is already in a 2 bed house with 2 children. Downsizing is not really an option. So she can't move to another area unless she goes into the private rental market. This would cost her a significant amount more. So she isn't moving.

It isn't a simple thing to do.

Posted by anoesis (# 14189) on :

quote:
I was simply trying to suggest a way of incentivising landlords to keep rents low, by providing a tax break to keep rents at a certain level.

Ah yes, seen this one before. Incentivise the poor by paying them less, incentivise the rich by taxing them less. Different stimuli for the same response. Thus demonstrating that they really are different species. Or something. Really, there's nothing new under the sun... did anyone say 'entitlement mentality'?

[ 26. April 2012, 08:23: Message edited by: anoesis ]

quote:
I don't think Stoker has any right to have the rent paid for an eight-bedroomed palace in stockbroker belt either, but it makes sense to pay that rather than expect him to move at his own expense to accomodation more befitting his reduced circumstances, as these may be temporary. It's a utilitarian thing, for the most part.

So if one of these rich bankers whom all the lefties so despise should finally get his comeuppance and be left without job or income, you think the government should step in to pay the rent on his massive house?

Yeah, I can see that going down well. [Roll Eyes]

quote:
quote:

Now and again (and again) we are inclined to forget that taxes are not levied for the benefit of the taxed!

Yep, no problem with that being on a temporary basis eg: 6-12 months, but not when it becomes semi-permanent. The rest of us have to downsize effectively (either smaller house or cheaper area) when our financial circumstances change so I'm not sure why this particular group thinks they have a God-given right to be exempt from that. I have several clients on my books who are having to do just that, either because one in a couple has lost his or her job or because they've had to accept a pay cut etc.

quote:
Originally posted by leo:
quote:

Depends how many kids he has, where his friends and other family are.
Why should where friends and other family are make a difference?

quote:
Before this dreadful government, it was already the case that NEW claims only paid enough rent to suit the person e.g. if a single person claimed fort a 2 bedroomed flat, s/he only got the price of one-bedroomed flat and was expected to move or pay extra.
Good as far as it goes, but still doesn't justify living in a pricey area.

quote:
Originally posted by OliviaG:
quote:
... No-one has the 'right' to live in the same area all their lives - we all have to go where the work is, where the housing is that we can afford (or, if we are asking taxpayers to pay for our housing, where the taxpayer can afford), etc. If either or both ain't there, then we can't afford to live there. I don't see why one group of us should be exempt from that basic fact at the -literal - expense of the rest of us.

The problem my town has is that the work is where no one can afford to live, result being a labour shortage. Because of inaction at every other level of government, the city has stepped in to support more affordable housing for people that they want to stay in the city: paramedics, nurses, firefighters, police, city engineering employees, etc. Lots of small service businesses have a hard time finding staff - no one is going to commute 2 hours each way for a 4 hour shift. So if the taxpayers want functional cities and economies, they'll want to make sure there is a range of housing available for every level of income and employment and type of household. OliviaG
Businesses will typically in such situations relocate to where labour is cheaper; one of the factors driving their labour costs down is cheaper housing. Add to that the fact that there is quite a bit of social housing building going on - certainly round my way which is fairly expensive in terms of housing, and is one of the few things, together with the sort of clients referred to above, that is keeping my ailing conveyancing practice going - and these things tend to even out relatively quickly.

quote:

Let me get this straight.

If someone who has never worked or contributed to society is living in a 3-bed house, they should have the absolute right to stay there regardless of the cost because that's where their family and friends are.

But if someone in the same house has worked all their life and falls on hard times, they have to sell up and move to a one-bed flat regardless of whether their family and friends live nearby or not?

You can understand why people get resentful when they see that government will give thousands of pounds of support to people who've never given anything back, but if they fall on hard times they'll be stripped of everything they have and left in a scummy bedsit.

If we can't afford to live near our family and friends we just have to bite the bullet and move to somewhere we can afford. We don't get any help to enable us to live where we like. Where's the fairness in that?

Exactly.

quote:
Originally posted by Tina:
c) is generally paid to landlords, not into the 'scrounger's' hands.

This is completely irrelevant, because a significant proportion of most working people's income goes directly to their landlord/mortgage provider as well. But if any of us started claiming that only the part of our salaries that doesn't go on rent/mortgage payments should be considered as income we'd be told where to stick it.

Personally, I'd love to only be taxed on that part of my income that I have after my mortgage payment goes out. It'd save me a fortune.

quote:
Businesses will typically in such situations relocate to where labour is cheaper; one of the factors driving their labour costs down is cheaper housing. Add to that the fact that there is quite a bit of social housing building going on - certainly round my way which is fairly expensive in terms of housing, and is one of the few things, together with the sort of clients referred to above, that is keeping my ailing conveyancing practice going - and these things tend to even out relatively quickly.

Money isn't easy for anyone but, provided it is a going concern, a business can make a better case for the finance to relocate more easily than an unemployed person can, whether they are in rented acccomodation or attempting to pay a mortgage. The business remember is there before and will be in a better position afterwards. By moving from a high-cost area will an unemployed person be moving away from work? Moving can also affect one's entitlement to JSA and other benefits.

eta: where has stoker gone? One angry post and he's gone.

[ 26. April 2012, 10:40: Message edited by: Sioni Sais ]

Point taken to an extent.

[Slight tangent] I'm always both amused and annoyed about the sort of comments I hear at the school gate when I do the school run from mums complaining about the development going up near to the school which contains - quelle horreure! - quite a bit of social housing/ shared ownership properties, the presumption being that all these properties will be inhabited by feral burberry-clad chavs breeding like rabbits and causing their precious little ones to turn to drink, drugs and prostitution. Having acted for a large number of purchasers of these properties, I can count two teachers, a nurse, a newly-qualified electrician, an architectural technician, and other professionals among their number, scarcely would-be corrupters of the young; I point out to said mums that maybe one or two of these owners may up teaching their precious charges, or they might fix a wiring fault in their house, etc, and perhaps they would prefer that their children didn't have teachers who lived locally etc, and watch their faces.... [Devil] [/tangent]

quote:
Originally posted by anoesis:
quote:
I was simply trying to suggest a way of incentivising landlords to keep rents low, by providing a tax break to keep rents at a certain level.

Ah yes, seen this one before. Incentivise the poor by paying them less, incentivise the rich by taxing them less. Different stimuli for the same response. Thus demonstrating that they really are different species. Or something. Really, there's nothing new under the sun... did anyone say 'entitlement mentality'?
Bullshit.

The government as limited powers when dealing with private business transaction (and rightly so). Taxation is one of them. We ask people to act in a certain way by offering them an incentive, in exactly the same way we tax more efficient cars less. Makes perfect sense

quote:
quote:

Let me get this straight.

If someone who has never worked or contributed to society is living in a 3-bed house, they should have the absolute right to stay there regardless of the cost because that's where their family and friends are.

But if someone in the same house has worked all their life and falls on hard times, they have to sell up and move to a one-bed flat regardless of whether their family and friends live nearby or not?

You can understand why people get resentful when they see that government will give thousands of pounds of support to people who've never given anything back, but if they fall on hard times they'll be stripped of everything they have and left in a scummy bedsit.

If we can't afford to live near our family and friends we just have to bite the bullet and move to somewhere we can afford. We don't get any help to enable us to live where we like. Where's the fairness in that?

Oh, put like that, I agree with you.

If the rules were applied retrospectively, everyone would be on an equal footing. But we don't pass laws retrospectively in this country because to do so is seen as 'unfair'. In this case it seems fair to me.

Sorry, being a bit dense here (long day) but can you clarify what you just said please?

Posted by FooloftheShip (# 15579) on :

There's a fundamental problem with this whole discussion. It is customary for the two groups - those who pay their own rent/mortgage and those who get assistance - to be depicted as stable and opposed groups. It is possible to pass, suddenly and without notice or consultation, from one to the other. The process can be very sudden and very painful. Well, that's how it s from paying your own to getting help. Mostly equally painful but infinitely slower going the other way.

I'd rather pay for the help than experience the need for it.

Unhellish, I know, but there we are.

Posted by George Spigot (# 253) on :

@ianjmatt

Well if you get your wish and they all move out I suggest you keep spare buckets of water around the house in case of fire because no one else is going to be close by to put it out.

quote:
quote:

What's behind my angst is the expectation that a lot of people have and not just about housing. The culture is one of a demand that the state will provide and taking offence when it is pointed out that in fact maybe the state shouldn't provide as much as you think. If I was redundant, I would not expect the state to stump up my accommodation costs.

Who said the taxation system doesn't exist for the benefit of the taxpayers? What a pious load of crap! Of course it does - armed forces, police, healthcare, council services, infrastructure, roads even government are all provided by taxes. Taxation exists to benefit and run the country.

What's behind your angst is the whole idea of other people. Maybe you can handle redundancy, but others can't. Maybe if it does strike, you'll find that you can't either.

btw, 'Taxes are not levied for the benefit of the taxed' was conjured up by Robert Heinlein. Sometimes it's necessary to be more than superficial when you read something.

Course everyone pays tax, including the unemployed and homeless - for some reason whenever people start bandying around the term taxpayer, they always mean income tax payer.

quote:
Course everyone pays tax, including the unemployed and homeless - for some reason whenever people start bandying around the term taxpayer, they always mean income tax payer.

But some people will be net recipients and others net contributors - that is, I think, what people mean by this shorthand.

Indeed - but I'd be interested in knowing whether as many people are net contributors as they think they are. The state provides you with education (cheap cos of ecoomics of scale and lAck of profit margine) mat pay, sick pay, pension- health care also on the same basis as education.

I wonder what it is worth (if you paid yourself) vs your tax contribution.

Posted by justlooking (# 12079) on :

quote:
What's behind my angst is the expectation that a lot of people have and not just about housing. The culture is one of a demand that the state will provide and taking offence when it is pointed out that in fact maybe the state shouldn't provide as much as you think. If I was redundant, I would not expect the state to stump up my accommodation costs.

I'm assuming you're single and if you were redundant would be able to move in with family or friends. If you had no alternative accommodation you wouldn't get much in the way of support anyway - something in the region of £65 a week unemployment benefit plus a fixed amount of housing benefit to pay for one-bedroomed accommodation. If you were below a certain age - it used to be 26 but it's over 30 now, you'd get housing benefit for a bedsit in a shared house. If you'd rather sleep on the streets that would be your choice.

It's a completely different situation for people with children. If parents haven't the means to support their children what are they supposed to do? Abandon their children? Seriously, what do you think should happen to children whose parents haven't the means to pay for adequate housing?

Posted by Edith (# 16978) on :

Bringing back rent controls which That Woman did away with, would solve much of the problem. The buy to rent market would collapse and those dwellings would be sold at a reasonable price and greedy landlords would cease making their obscene profits.

quote:
Originally posted by justlooking:
quote:

I'm assuming you're single and if you were redundant would be able to move in with family or friends. If you had no alternative accommodation you wouldn't get much in the way of support anyway - something in the region of £65 a week unemployment benefit plus a fixed amount of housing benefit to pay for one-bedroomed accommodation. If you were below a certain age - it used to be 26 but it's over 30 now, you'd get housing benefit for a bedsit in a shared house. If you'd rather sleep on the streets that would be your choice.

It's a completely different situation for people with children. If parents haven't the means to support their children what are they supposed to do? Abandon their children? Seriously, what do you think should happen to children whose parents haven't the means to pay for adequate housing?

As a parent with three children who has been made redundant and relied on housing benefit I'll tell you what you do. Move to a cheaper area if you cannot find work to pay for your house after the 9 month 'grace period'. That is surely enough time to decide if you can afford to stay in an area, or move if you cannot. It is difficult, but people move to take new jobs all the time.

quote:
As a parent with three children who has been made redundant and relied on housing benefit I'll tell you what you do. Move to a cheaper area if you cannot find work to pay for your house after the 9 month 'grace period'. That is surely enough time to decide if you can afford to stay in an area, or move if you cannot. It is difficult, but people move to take new jobs all the time.

So you rely on housing benefit. And if you can't find a job even after moving you still rely on housing benefit. Or, more to the point, your children rely on it.

quote:
quote:

So you rely on housing benefit. And if you can't find a job even after moving you still rely on housing benefit. Or, more to the point, your children rely on it.
Yes - at a level that is appropriate.

What level do you deem to be appropriate?

quote:
quote:

Yes - at a level that is appropriate.
The number of children in a family, their ages and sex will determine how many bedrooms are needed and the cost of providing enough bedrooms will determine an appropriate level for housing benefit.

Stoker is objecting to anyone at all having their rent paid. I'm interested to know how he thinks children would live within the kind of system he advocates.

Children have to be provided for whether or not their adults are earning enough to support them.

[ 01. May 2012, 07:52: Message edited by: justlooking ]

quote:
The number of children in a family, their ages and sex will determine how many bedrooms are needed and the cost of providing enough bedrooms will determine an appropriate level for housing benefit.

There's another fact that determines how much a house costs (and thus the level of housing benefit) - location. The key part of ianjmatt's post was "Move to a cheaper area if you cannot find work to pay for your house after the 9 month 'grace period'."

Precisely. Same as everyone else has to. Plus, if there are better job opportunities elsewhere, you also go where the work is.

The basic point is one of fairness: a cap of £26000pa grossed up amounts to a figure of approx £35000. That has been my earnings for the last two plus years. There is therefore no way in a million years that I could afford housing costs of £26000pa, so - der! - I don't live somewhere where my housing costs are that high. For the record, I have wife and three children, so relocation would not be as easy as it would if I was on my own, but it can still be done. I don't see a jot and tittle of fairness why money should be taken from me to pay for someone to live somewhere where I can't afford to live myself.

quote:
quote:

There's another fact that determines how much a house costs (and thus the level of housing benefit) - location. The key part of ianjmatt's post was "Move to a cheaper area if you cannot find work to pay for your house after the 9 month 'grace period'."
'Cheaper' is still relative. A large family in a cheaper area may still need a level of housing benefit higher than an average mortgage payment for that area.

Adequate social housing is what's needed. It's only because of the shortage of social housing that private landlords have come back on the scene. Unlike earlier times however there is no security of tenure, no system of rent control and very little monitoring to ensure basic safety.

quote:
'Cheaper' is still relative. A large family in a cheaper area may still need a level of housing benefit higher than an average mortgage payment for that area.

That's not the point. The point is that it's the cheapest available suitable housing.

It might not be your point but it is Stoker's point.

quote:
If I was redundant, I would not expect the state to stump up my accommodation costs.
Stoker favours a system where if he had a wife and three children and was made redundant there would be no benefit available to house his family.

Well, don't assume that we all have the same view as Stoker.

Posted by Albertus (# 13356) on :

quote:
Precisely. Same as everyone else has to. Plus, if there are better job opportunities elsewhere, you also go where the work is.

The basic point is one of fairness: a cap of £26000pa grossed up amounts to a figure of approx £35000. That has been my earnings for the last two plus years. There is therefore no way in a million years that I could afford housing costs of £26000pa, so - der! - I don't live somewhere where my housing costs are that high. For the record, I have wife and three children, so relocation would not be as easy as it would if I was on my own, but it can still be done. I don't see a jot and tittle of fairness why money should be taken from me to pay for someone to live somewhere where I can't afford to live myself.

I don't know what difference it makes, but on the info you've given here about your family and income, from a quick and dirty calculation, if you were renting you would actually be entitled to Housing Benefit of up to about £90 a week, depending on whereabouts in Hampshire you live.

Well, I guess that's nice to know, but I still think it would be unfair on the rest of you to have to stump up for us to continue to live in the manner to which we have become accustomed when there is perfectly adequate but cheaper accommodation to rent available locally.

Matt:
quote:
if there are better job opportunities elsewhere, you also go where the work is.
Several people have said this, and also said unemployed people should move to areas where housing is cheaper.

Setting aside the question of how to fulfil these incompatible objectives simultaneously (because housing is generally more expensive in areas of low unemployment), moving is not as easy as it sounds. Jenn has already pointed out that if you are in council housing you do not have an automatic right to be housed by another council, so you would either have to find another council tenant to swap with (easier to say than do) or look for private rented accommodation (considerably more expensive, probably wiping out the financial gain of the job you were hoping to get). If you own a house you have to sell it or rent it out to someone else before you move, neither of which can happen overnight. In fact if you start trying to sell your house at the beginning of your nine-month so-called 'grace period' you'll be lucky to get everything completed by the end of it. My parents have been trying to sell their house for several years; every time they think they've done it the chain falls apart and they have to start again.

Besides, moving is expensive unless you can fit all your worldly possessions in the family car or can borrow a van from a friend. Last time we moved it cost us several thousand pounds in lawyers' fees and removal van hire. It's not something you would do on the offchance of finding work in the area you're moving to; you move to a new area *after* you've got the new, highly lucrative job.

And job-hunting costs money, too. A lot of employers and recruitment agencies have stopped paying travelling expenses for candidates to attend interviews. Back in the 1980s when I was unemployed for a while, the government would pay your travelling expenses if the organisation inviting you for interview didn't, but I don't know whether this still happens. Probably not.

quote:
Well, don't assume that we all have the same view as Stoker.

It's obvious that most people don't have the same view as Stoker but most of the argument is around the system as it affects adults. When looked at from the view of the best interests of children the situation may not be so simple.

Children are not 'scroungers'. Children are not 'workless'. But they get included when politicians talk about 'workless families' and the popular press talks about families who rely on benefit as 'scroungers'.

From the link Stoker gave in the OP a table shows a loss of 800,000 available homes as a result of the benefit cap. That could be 800,000 families in need of a home. The Borough of Newham has 32,000 families on a waiting list for houses and in the meantime cannot afford the cost of emergency accommodation. Nothing has been said about the effect of putting children into emergency accommodation, such as hotel rooms, which often breaks housing authority regulations on overcrowding and safety.

Where large numbers of families have been living in areas now deemed outside the benefit range there will be an infrastructure which supported them, schools, medical services etc. Areas where there is housing available may not have the services to support a large influx of children. It could take years to sort this mess out and in the meantime it's children who are suffering the consequences.

quote:
Matt:
quote:
if there are better job opportunities elsewhere, you also go where the work is.
Several people have said this, and also said unemployed people should move to areas where housing is cheaper.

Setting aside the question of how to fulfil these incompatible objectives simultaneously (because housing is generally more expensive in areas of low unemployment), moving is not as easy as it sounds. Jenn has already pointed out that if you are in council housing you do not have an automatic right to be housed by another council, so you would either have to find another council tenant to swap with (easier to say than do)

It's not council housing we're talking about, as that is relatively cheap; it's the much more expensive private rental sector where the high costs are
quote:
If you own a house you have to sell it or rent it out to someone else before you move, neither of which can happen overnight. In fact if you start trying to sell your house at the beginning of your nine-month so-called 'grace period' you'll be lucky to get everything completed by the end of it. My parents have been trying to sell their house for several years; every time they think they've done it the chain falls apart and they have to start again.
That sounds fairly exceptional

quote:
Besides, moving is expensive unless you can fit all your worldly possessions in the family car or can borrow a van from a friend. Last time we moved it cost us several thousand pounds in lawyers' fees and removal van hire.
You need to find new lawyers! The standard rate I charge is £540 on a sale and £550 on a purchase.
quote:
It's not something you would do on the offchance of finding work in the area you're moving to; you move to a new area *after* you've got the new, highly lucrative job.
Or you rent in the new area first until you're sure that your new job is working out; only then do you start putting down roots like buying a house there.

quote:
And job-hunting costs money, too. A lot of employers and recruitment agencies have stopped paying travelling expenses for candidates to attend interviews.
Yes, I know. I've done it myself quite a few times. But I don't expect the taxpayer to sub me for it.

quote:
Originally posted by Albertus:
I don't know what difference it makes, but on the info you've given here about your family and income, from a quick and dirty calculation, if you were renting you would actually be entitled to Housing Benefit of up to about £90 a week, depending on whereabouts in Hampshire you live.

quote:
Matt Black
Well, I guess that's nice to know, but I still think it would be unfair on the rest of you to have to stump up for us to continue to live in the manner to which we have become accustomed when there is perfectly adequate but cheaper accommodation to rent available locally.

There probably wouldn't be 'perfectly adequate but cheaper' accommodation available locally because housing benefit levels are now fixed at the rate of the cheaper available housing, not the median rate as before. So if you were in circumstances which meant you had to house your family in a private rented house you would need the housing benefit.

Yes, but that would be in the cheaper accommodation, not maintaining us in our 3-bed detached house in its semi-rural location.

Posted by Erroneous Monk (# 10858) on :

quote:

Children are not 'scroungers'. Children are not 'workless'. But they get included when politicians talk about 'workless families' and the popular press talks about families who rely on benefit as 'scroungers'.

Agreed. And all children are entitled to secure, appropriate housing as a matter of right, not charity. No child should be expected to feel grateful for being shown a basic level of concern for their wellbeing.

quote:
Yes, but that would be in the cheaper accommodation, not maintaining us in our 3-bed detached house in its semi-rural location.

I don't think Albertus' quick calculation was based on maintaining you in your present style of house but just on what a three bedroomed house would cost to rent in Hampshire. It could be that renting a three bedroomed terraced house would still cost more than the mortgage on your present home and that you might need to claim some housing benefit.

[ 01. May 2012, 11:49: Message edited by: justlooking ]

Matt:
quote:
You need to find new lawyers! The standard rate I charge is £540 on a sale and £550 on a purchase.
Perhaps I should have been more precise, but I can't remember the exact cost breakdown. I do remember the estate agents' fees, lawyers' fees and removal-van costs together came to several thousand.

If your fees are about average, the lawyers would have been about a thousand (we were selling one house and buying another).

People moving into rented accommodation don't have to pay these costs, of course, but most private landlords expect you to stump up a deposit equivalent to a couple of months' rent. For anywhere in the South-East with more than one bedroom that would probably be over a thousand; when we rented our first flat it was £400 per month and we had to give the landlord three months' rent as a deposit. And it only had one bedroom, and this was 23 years ago. I'm guessing rents have gone up slightly since then.

The point I'm trying to make is that whether you stay where you are or move, you are going to incur some costs. If you are moving you need to have some ready cash so you can pay fees/deposits/van hire upfront. Or somebody needs to give it to you.

If you are in an area with plenty of jobs available then it might actually work out cheaper *for the taxpayer* to pay your current accommodation costs until you get another job, rather than helping you to move to the other end of the country so you can remain unemployed for several years. The longer you are unemployed, the less chance you have of getting another job.

Of course this doesn't solve the problem of the long-term unemployed, but creating a ghetto for them in Stoke-on-Trent won't do that either.

justlooking:
quote:
It could be that renting a three bedroomed terraced house would still cost more than the mortgage on your present home and that you might need to claim some housing benefit.
Depends. Interest rates are so low at the moment that Matt's mortgage might be cheaper than the rent on a smaller house in a cheaper area.

Oh, and my parents do not live in the South-East of England, so whatever the housing market is like in Hampshire it's not moving very fast where they are. They really have been trying to sell their house for several years and are on the point of giving up.

[ 01. May 2012, 12:10: Message edited by: Jane R ]

Not really: £1036pcm mortgage. Just had a quick browse of but one local (school catchment area) letting agents and you can rent a 3-bed detached bungalow for £995pcm; if you're willing to really 'slum it', you can get a decent 3-bed semi for between £800-900pcm round here.

[Reply to your middle post]

[ 01. May 2012, 12:10: Message edited by: Matt Black ]

So about £900 rent against £1036 mortgage? Not a huge difference, although the DSS would want to keep costs as low as possible if they have a lot of families to house. I bet your house is about twice the size of the three-bedroom semi, as well.

I realise you're all talking about private rented accommodation, but it's all part of the bigger problem of shortage of housing. If only somebody would listen to Sioni Sais' suggestion and allow the councils to get back into the business of providing social housing directly, we (the taxpayers) could save a fortune. Any profits on renting it out that weren't needed to maintain the properties could go into the general budget and be spent on useful stuff such as social care, or Surestart programmes, or libraries... you know, the things that are being cut back because there's no money for them.

quote:

quote:
If I was redundant, I would not expect the state to stump up my accommodation costs.
Stoker favours a system where if he had a wife and three children and was made redundant there would be no benefit available to house his family.
I do have a child. The state is not responsible for raising her, my wife and I are.

Just looking, I feel you are misrepresenting my position. From my OP:

“The welfare state is there to give strugglers a leg up, not a blanket bloody free for all.”

Which I again use to re-iterate the main point. The welfare state should be there to help people in difficult circumstances – unemployment, housing, healthcare, security etc. What I am object to is the culture that has developed whereby people expect that ‘the state’TM to pay for them. Getting back to the Stoker redundancy scenario, I might expect some intermediate help, while I recalibrated my family’s circumstances, but I would not make long term plans and expectations based on an ongoing contribution from the government. Indeed I have done this with unemployment benefit for thankfully short periods of unemployment in the past. This not the case however for many people who are institutionalised benefits recipients. Is it right that people choose to receive money from taxpayers instead of going to work? Let me give 3 real examples of my family members or friends:

1.) A family with 4 children where the father is unemployed, so the mother has to commute approx 150 miles and work away for 3 days per week. This is very disruptive for their family life and circumstances.

2.) A young relative of mine in a rural area who despite having a degree does not expect a high paid job, he works as a minimum wage caring job for adults with learning difficulties. It is shifts and is disruptive to his personal and social life.

3.) A mum with 2 kids actively looking for work and doing courses to get on and try and find a job as she doesn’t want to be unemployed.

The point is that these 3 examples are people who don’t want to be in long term receipt of state benefits and make the sometimes harder choice to work at a personal cost.

quote:
So about £900 rent against £1036 mortgage? Not a huge difference, although the DSS would want to keep costs as low as possible if they have a lot of families to house. I bet your house is about twice the size of the three-bedroom semi, as well.

Er...no; Mrs B and I have often talked about 'upgrading' to a semi as you tend to get more square footage for your £ round here with a semi than you do for a detached property.

quote:
I realise you're all talking about private rented accommodation, but it's all part of the bigger problem of shortage of housing. If only somebody would listen to Sioni Sais' suggestion and allow the councils to get back into the business of providing social housing directly, we (the taxpayers) could save a fortune. Any profits on renting it out that weren't needed to maintain the properties could go into the general budget and be spent on useful stuff such as social care, or Surestart programmes, or libraries... you know, the things that are being cut back because there's no money for them.
Agreed completely with you there.

Posted by ken (# 2460) on :

No rent round my way for anything much less than twice a mortgage on a similar flat. There is something weird going on when rental costs less than mortgage - even if the landlords have no debt on the house themselves they are taking a paper loss on the opportunity cost.

But we would be talking about downgrading to a semi or terrace rather than detached.

quote:
quote:

quote:
I do have a child. The state is not responsible for raising her, my wife and I are.

Agree with you there, but does that mean that you return your child benefit each month?

I'd like to know why so many people get hot under the collar about welfare expenditure when the economy is in shit order. That gives an inflated amount: if you want an objective answer to the problem look at the number of totally welfare-dependent households when the economy is doing well. In addition to there being more work to be done, the pay will typically be better so there will be incentives to get into work.

In circumstances like that stoker and his pals would be able to make a far better case.

Trouble is, in circumstances like that the country can afford a little excess generosity. Whereas in circumstances where important services are being cut because there's no money left (quote attr: the last Labour Chancellor) such largesse needs to be questioned.

quote:

Just looking, I feel you are misrepresenting my position. From my OP:

“The welfare state is there to give strugglers a leg up, not a blanket bloody free for all.”

From your second post:
quote:

From what you are now saying you would expect the state to stump up your accommodation costs and indeed have claimed state benefits when out of work. You've modified your expectations to justify your own claims for 'intermediate help'.
quote:
Getting back to the Stoker redundancy scenario, I might expect some intermediate help, while I recalibrated my family’s circumstances, but I would not make long term plans and expectations based on an ongoing contribution from the government.

If you were not able to find work, despite making every effort, then your family would need benefits to survive. It's not just about what adults want, it's about what children need.
quote:
This not the case however for many people who are institutionalised benefits recipients. Is it right that people choose to receive money from taxpayers instead of going to work? :

"Institutionalised benefit recipients" = scroungers presumably.

Yes, it is right for some people to choose to receive benefits instead of going to work. Children, people taking care of young children and people too ill or disabled to work. Also, the many pensioners with only the basic state pension, for which they paid NI contributions, plus perhaps a small work pension giving them a total income too small to live on without additional support.

quote:
2.) A young relative of mine in a rural area who despite having a degree does not expect a high paid job, he works as a minimum wage caring job for adults with learning difficulties. It is shifts and is disruptive to his personal and social life.

A single person would be expected to take any available job if they could not find what suited their qualifications within a reasonable time. Such a person would not be allowed to choose to be on benefits rather than work. Benefits can be cut and even withdrawn completely from a single person who is deemed to be wilfully avoiding work. If no work is available a single person can be obliged to occupy themselves with a succession of training schemes and work placements.
quote:
3.) A mum with 2 kids actively looking for work and doing courses to get on and try and find a job as she doesn’t want to be unemployed.
If this is a single mother then depending on the age of the children she may be fully employed looking after them. Single parents whose youngest child is seven are now expected to look for work of at least 16 hours a week. The kind of jobs that fit around child-care can be hard to come by. Also, the in-work benefits, including taxpayer-funded childcare, can amount to more than the benefits paid to a full-time parent.

There are some families where the parents could be classed as scroungers if neither of them is prepared to take a paying job, assuming one is available. The problem is that penalising such parents by cutting benefits is also penalising the children. However I don't think there are as many such parents as the right-wing press makes out. Even assuming a parent in every such family could be persuaded into work it wouldn't make much difference to the national benefit bill.

quote:
Trouble is, in circumstances like that the country can afford a little excess generosity. Whereas in circumstances where important services are being cut because there's no money left (quote attr: the last Labour Chancellor) such largesse needs to be questioned.

Only too true. Those who say that it's wrong to cut the deficit in a downturn have a strong point, but they rarely stand up to suggest that when things are going well the country should raise taxes. I think that's called political suicide, even if that is the time when one should do so.

FWIW, I reckon the deficit cutting is about 50/50 between economic need and political ideology. There is a lot of talk about it, but it isn't happening, let alone working!

quote:
quote:
quote:

quote:

Agree with you there, but does that mean that you return your child benefit each month?
No, I use it to fund my sky subscription and buy fags and cheap lager with the leftovers!

Just looking

I haven't modified anything. I laid out my position in the OP and am filling in the details.

Yes I do expect the state to give strugglers a leg up, but at the risk of tediously repeating myself, I object to the fact that some people expect this as their life long God given right.

And don't fucking patronise me about disabled people, my daughter has a well mocked learning disability. I am quite happy for the taxpayer to support her and others in less fortunate positions when she reaches adulthood.

[ 01. May 2012, 21:57: Message edited by: Stoker ]

quote:
Just looking

I haven't modified anything. I laid out my position in the OP and am filling in the details.

After your opening rant about "scroungers" this was in your second post If I was redundant, I would not expect the state to stump up my accommodation costs. Your further posts have modified your position to expecting the state to pay accommodation costs for yourself and your family as an "intermediate" measure during times of unemployment. This isn't filling in the background. This is changing from not expecting the state to stump up your accommodation costs to expecting the state to stump up said costs.

quote:
And don't fucking patronise me about disabled people, my daughter has a well mocked learning disability.
And you expect everyone to know your personal circumstances? You asked "Is it right that people choose to receive money from taxpayers instead of going to work? " and I've included disabled people among those for whom it is right. Which is something even a knob-end like you ought to know.

The issues in the article linked in the OP have nothing to do with so-called scroungers but are about the consequences of the benefit cap. Families in high-rent areas are now moving into lower-rent areas and this is causing problems for some local authorities.

quote:
Only too true. Those who say that it's wrong to cut the deficit in a downturn have a strong point, but they rarely stand up to suggest that when things are going well the country should raise taxes. I think that's called political suicide, even if that is the time when one should do so.

There shouldn't be a need to raise taxes in the good times, because if more transactions are happening and more people are being employed there's going to be more tax making its way into the coffers anyway.

Indeed. What went wrong during the boom times is that Brown splurged his much vaunted 'war chest' on a massive round of public spending that ran up a deficit even before the downturn and then bailed out the banks.

Nice to hear a good Keynesian argument from Matt and Marvin, here

[Big Grin]

Posted by redderfreak (# 15191) on :

quote:
Scroungers moaning about having benefits cut.

Please could someone explain why some people in our society expect the government to fund their lifestyle choices. I don't think I actually know anybody who spends £21,000 on accomodation per year. I know lots of people who spend significantly less but have to work hard, scrimp and sacrifice stable family time and life to pay rent and mortgages.

The welfare state is there to give strugglers a leg up, not a blanket bloody free for all.

Too many fuckers know their rights, not enough know their responsibilities.

I know I don't deserve it, I'm just grateful to you for bailing me out. I'll move to Stoke or wherever else you want me to go. Thanks.

Posted by Sighthound (# 15185) on :

I'll have a small bet that the great majority of 'excessive' benefit payments go to people who a) live in London and b) have large families.

The problem is London rents are sky high. This is partly due to landlords profiteering at public expense. But it also highlights a chronic lack of affordable accommodation in the very place where it is most needed. All those incredibly rich bankers need servants, waiters, cleaners and so on. Sadly there are not enough places for these low-paid people to live.

One answer is to try to move some activity out of London to reduce demand. Personally I should move the political capital to say Scunthorpe or Skelmersdale, and leave London to the economic and banking sector. Ain't going to happen though.

Another answer would be to build lots of cheap (i.e. subsidised) Council flats in the capital. Ain't going to happen though.

So you are left with moving the claimants to cheaper areas, say Stoke. Problem with this is there are (almost by definition) less jobs in such areas. So, apart from anything else, your claimants are less likely to find work. In addition, your pool of unskilled labour in London (where there are uses for it) is much reduced. I would question whether this is strategically desirable.

Any road, where there are big families of children no conceivable government is going to throw them out to sleep on park benches. There are going to be housed, and it is going to cost. (Probably cheaper than bunging the kids in orphanages though!)

Bottom line, capitalism needs a certain level of unemployment to work at all. At certain phases in the economic cycle it does, by its very nature, throw large numbers of people out of work. Given that there is not enough work for everyone, it is rather pointless to moan and gripe about supporting those without jobs. It's part of the price we pay for a 'system' that we generally seem to like.

If you want *everyone* to work *all the time* the way forward is Socialism. People may not be as productive under that system, but they'll certainly be found work.

[ 18. June 2012, 10:50: Message edited by: Sighthound ]

quote:
Originally posted by Sighthound:
I'll have a small bet that the great majority of 'excessive' benefit payments go to people who a) live in London and b) have large families.

The problem is London rents are sky high. This is partly due to landlords profiteering at public expense. But it also highlights a chronic lack of affordable accommodation in the very place where it is most needed. All those incredibly rich bankers need servants, waiters, cleaners and so on. Sadly there are not enough places for these low-paid people to live.

One answer is to try to move some activity out of London to reduce demand. Personally I should move the political capital to say Scunthorpe or Skelmersdale, and leave London to the economic and banking sector. Ain't going to happen though.

Another answer would be to build lots of cheap (i.e. subsidised) Council flats in the capital. Ain't going to happen though.

Every time anything remotely resembling this subject is raised I point out that there are hundreds of thousands of empty homes in Britain, in various stages of (dis)repair. Many hundreds of thousands are not holiday homes or the like and about 75,000 are in the London area. Nothing personal at all, it's my pet cause and I'll not let go of it.
quote:

So you are left with moving the claimants to cheaper areas, say Stoke. Problem with this is there are (almost by definition) less jobs in such areas. So, apart from anything else, your claimants are less likely to find work. In addition, your pool of unskilled labour in London (where there are uses for it) is much reduced. I would question whether this is strategically desirable.

Those who are currently unemployed or underemployed could repair, refurbish and redecorate these homes. They would also have wages with which to rent or buy them. They wouldn't be receiving benefits any more and they would pay taxes too, all of which would reduce the deficit. Hello? Mr Osborne?
quote:

Any road, where there are big families of children no conceivable government is going to throw them out to sleep on park benches. There are going to be housed, and it is going to cost. (Probably cheaper than bunging the kids in orphanages though!)

Bottom line, capitalism needs a certain level of unemployment to work at all. At certain phases in the economic cycle it does, by its very nature, throw large numbers of people out of work. Given that there is not enough work for everyone, it is rather pointless to moan and gripe about supporting those without jobs. It's part of the price we pay for a 'system' that we generally seem to like.

I doubt the resources exist to do all that needs to be done, but if all the available labour was employed the supply and demand in that market would of itself make capitalism untenable. What happens now with housing costs, with the approval of those in power within government and elsewhere, would then happen to wages, and those in power would whinge like a banker denied his bonus!
quote:

If you want *everyone* to work *all the time* the way forward is Socialism. People may not be as productive under that system, but they'll certainly be found work.

I suppose people like capitalism for the same reason others like Creflo Dollar: they see something in it for them. 99% of both groups will be disappointed.

Posted by Pulsator Organorum Ineptus (# 2515) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Sighthound:

The problem is London rents are sky high. This is partly due to landlords profiteering at public expense.

No - the reason rents are so high is that people are willing to pay them rather than go live and work somewhere else.

Expecting landlords to charge less than they can get is little different from expecting employees to ask for a lower salary.

Two points:
(i) Housing isn't like beans or bread: it's not a matter of simply going to another shop if you don't like the prices your current one is charging. People usually have jobs and families and all sorts of connections which they can't just up and leave. As previous posters have pointed out, there's an overconcentration of activity in London and around, and until and unless that changes a lot of people will need to be there. Housing in the capital, meanwhile, is scarce in comparison to demand, even if this is, as Sioni Sais has suggested, somewhat artificial. In housing, as in so many other contexts, the self-clearing market is largely a theoretical construction of the economists rather than a reflection of the real world.
(ii) Landlords shouldn't charge as high a rent as they can get, regardless of all else. Workers shouldn't demand as high a wage as they can get, regardless of all else. Producers and sellers shouldn't charge as high a price as they can get, regardless of all else. Employers shouldn't pay as low a wage as they can get away with, regardless of all else. Purchasers shouldn't pay as low a price as they can get, regardless of all else. The interests of all parties have to be considered.
The doctrine of the fair price is an important part of Christian social teaching. How it is achieved is a difficult question, but it is where we should start from and where we should seek to arrive at.

Let me add, by the way, that I do not expect any small player in the property market- the homeowner renting out her flat while she is working abroad for a year, or the person selling his home to move to another- to try to buck the market individually. That would be to expect such a person to incur an heroic level of comparative disdavantage while making no real difference. This is why we need to look at the market as a whole.

Rampant profiteering is a choice, and some businesses choose not to.

Indeed. Businesses and organisations are more likely to be able to opt out than individuals are - and so they can be more readily and rightly criticised for not doing so.

Posted by Pulsator Organorum Ineptus (# 2515) on :

There seems to be part of the law of supply and demand that doesn't work when it comes to housing.

When scarcity of supply starts pushing prices up, new suppliers ought to move in to cash in on the rising prices, which increases the supply and thus stops prices rising too far.

This doesn't happen with housing. It's not because nobody wants to build new housing - it seems to be largely because politicians won't give planning permission.

I don't entirely agree with the poster who said housing is not like beans. People with perfectly good jobs in Leeds are choosing to get different jobs in London and choosing to pay £1500 a month for a one-bedroom flat rather than £700 for quite nice a 3-bedroom semi. An ex-colleague of mine has just done precisely this.

The law of supply and demand, as you describe it, doesn't work in lots of settings. It is as I say essentially a heuristic device for academic economists, not a description of what actually happens in the real world, where things are a lot more 'sticky', irrational (or rather variously-rational) and resource constrained.

If you go along with Maslow's hierarchy of needs, housing, or in its basic form, shelter, is part of the most basic set of needs. While one can cut costs on clothing, food and drink, shelter is second only to breathing in the list of essentials. So far air is free, but truly cheap accomodation just doesn't exist anymore. It is possible to get a tent but have you seen the price of campsite pitches!

Seriously, housing is just too important to be left to the marketplace, and that's why we must make the best possible use of our existing housing stock, which will of course act against the interest of builders, homeowners, mortgagors and mortgagees as the extra supply will depress prices somewhat.

Spot on.

© Ship of Fools 2016