Thread: Why doesn't Stephen Green just shut up and go away. Board: Oblivion / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=70;t=022735

Posted by beatmenace (# 16955) on :

Unaccustomed as i am to posting in Hell - since this is a personal attack i find myself here.

Any one see this ?

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/londoners-diary/mice-plague-gods-reply-to-tesco-gay-gift-7618593.html

This guy is a few rungs short of a ladder and he isn't my voice.

Why wont he stop embarrassing us with his stupidity and bigotry?

Posted by Panda (# 2951) on :

Same reason trolls don't just shut up and go away. He's being well fed.

Posted by Darllenwr (# 14520) on :

It feeds his sense of his own importance.

Posted by Balaam (# 4543) on :

It could be because he believes he is right.
It could be because he believes that God hates gays.
It could be because he believes he is representing the views of conservative evangelicals.

This conservative evangelical believes that if he does believe any of the above then he is deluded.

Posted by Imaginary Friend (# 186) on :

I love the comeback from the guy from Stonewall. [Killing me]

In fact, I think gentle mockery is probably the only sensible way to deal with Green.

Posted by The Royal Spaniel (# 40) on :

Hmmm.....
I don't think he's quite the full shilling.......

Posted by jbohn (# 8753) on :

It's symbolic of his struggle against reality.

Posted by Schroedinger's cat (# 64) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Balaam:
It could be because he believes he is right.
It could be because he believes that God hates gays.
It could be because he believes he is representing the views of conservative evangelicals.

This conservative evangelical believes that if he does believe any of the above then he is deluded.

And you are the defining theologian of Conservative Evangelicalism, of course.

The problem is that he probably does believe what he says. And he probably believes that there are others who agree with him - in which he is probably right.

This is the same issue as most others who talk crap, that they believe they are interpreting the Christian faith correctly, and, unless you agree with them, you are wrong, and so cannot inform them. Because God Hated Gays, everything that happens is a reflection of this.

Trying to change a worldview that believes God Hates Gays is almost impossible, because changing a worldview is extremely difficult in any case, and accepting that your entire purpose and meaning in life has been wrong is difficult.

The issue is not that Green is deluded. The issue is that he talks as if he is not.

quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's cat:
And you are the defining theologian of Conservative Evangelicalism, of course.

No. Just the defining theologian of this little corner of it. Membership one.

Unlike Green I don't pretend I speak for a group of people which contains those who disagree with me.

Posted by Tortuf (# 3784) on :

Mea culpa. Mea maxima culpa.*

I released all those mice as a protest about Tesco closing 12 Fresh & Easy stores in the US.

Even though there are no such stores close to me, I felt badly for RuthW and felt a need to protest.

Posted by Nicolemrw (# 28) on :

It seems like an odd thing for God to send a plague of. Mice? really?

So what was the sin of the Boston Market near here that was closed for a plague of rats? Does this person really believe that all such occurences must have divine cause? And if not, how does one tell which ones do and which ones don't?

Posted by Spike (# 36) on :

So, Stephen Green has made yet another eccentric anti gay comment.

In other news: A bear was seen entering the woods with a toilet roll.

Posted by Jahlove (# 10290) on :

quote:
Originally posted by The Royal Spaniel:
Hmmm.....
I don't think he's quite the full shilling.......

Royal Spaniel has hit the nail on the head. Although no-one believes in phrenology these days, just one look at that photo clearly shows he is a seriously unwell man. In the Styx, Balaam has given occasion to dredge up this brilliant piece . I am unsure whether it's by Yer Actual Tom Wright (I hope it is!) but why don't the Daily Heil and its ilk ever contact theologians of his calibre for responses on religious issues? Answer: coz doing so might not make Christians look like the sort of eye-swivelling nut jobs that quotes from Green do.

It's the popular press, guys - within which all women who get raped are asking for it, all non-whites are terrorists, all social workers are evil child-snatchers unless a kid gets killed by its parents in which case they are lazy fuckers, all teachers are lazy fuckers who can't teach while, at the same time, all parents are lazy fuckers who can't be arsed to toilet-train their kids before they go to school (unless they earn more than £50K pa in which case it reverts to teacher error), shedloads of jobs are taken by immigrant workers (even tho' UK yoof are idle, useless, work shy scum). And everyone is categorised by the value of their housing.

And we should take quotes in such media from Stephen Green seriously?*

*unfortunately, those who are influenced by the Daily Heil and its like, do [Frown]

I'm sure I've mentioned this before, but I knew Stephen Green personally about 25 years ago. We attended the same church (believe it or not, he used to be a very high church Anglo-Catholic) and we drank in the same pub (he hasn't always been a puritan) and I can assure you that even then, he was several sandwiches short of a lunch pack.

[ 08. April 2012, 22:57: Message edited by: Spike ]

Posted by PaulBC (# 13712) on :

Has he ever heard of the virtue of charity towards ones fellow men ? He has be a few pence short of a Pound, or he belkieves that God is going about loosing mice on those with whom He displeased . Give me a break that is not like the God I believe in . But let him rant otherwise he might act out on his phobia's. [Votive] [Angel] [Smile]

Posted by Aelred of Rievaulx (# 16860) on :

He is a busted flush, ever since his wife (ex?) revealed to the papers his abusive and bullying behaviour at home - which all added up to his being one huge HYPOCRITE.

Posted by Pyx_e (# 57) on :

Rodents have had it in for homosexuals since one of their own was treated with Such Contempt. ARMAGEDDON!

Not safe for work or those of a delicate approach to sexual matters.

AtB, Pyx_e

Posted by Lyda*Rose (# 4544) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Aelred of Rievaulx:
He is a busted flush, ever since his wife (ex?) revealed to the papers his abusive and bullying behaviour at home - which all added up to his being one huge HYPOCRITE.

Why HYPOCRITE? I consider his public behavior "abusive and bullying" of everyone he disagrees with. Besides, he'd probably consider that his treatment of his wife came under the rubric of "...make her holy, cleansing her by the washing with water through the word, and to present her to himself as a radiant church, without stain or wrinkle or any other blemish, but holy and blameless". He was merely "cleansing her" for her soul's sake, and therefore all his harsh treatment of her was actually "loving".

Pardon me while I [Projectile]

Posted by Ariel (# 58) on :

quote:
Originally posted by beatmenace:

Because reasonable people don't make the headlines and he is quotogenic.

Posted by orfeo (# 13878) on :

Wait, is this the same guy who had a go at Tesco's before?

It is, isn't it. Honestly, what an idiot. Because as soon as something bad happens to him or someone he loves (if in fact he loves anyone), he'll see it as some kind of divine retribution and have a psychological crisis.

Go and read the fucking book of Job, you twerp.

[ 09. April 2012, 12:07: Message edited by: orfeo ]

Posted by Robert Armin (# 182) on :

I was surprised to hear that Tesco's had done anything as positive as support Gay Pride (presumably a type of flour, like Homepride). In my opinion they don't have a great reputation for being caring and altruisitc.

Posted by QLib (# 43) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Robert Armin:
I was surprised to hear that Tesco's had done anything as positive as support Gay Pride ... In my opinion they don't have a great reputation for being caring and altruisitc.

Two words: pink pound.

Posted by Schroedinger's cat (# 64) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Robert Armin:
I was surprised to hear that Tesco's had done anything as positive as support Gay Pride (presumably a type of flour, like Homepride). In my opinion they don't have a great reputation for being caring and altruistic.

Caring and altruistic my arse, they are in it for the publicity, and, as QLIb points out, the pink pound.

It is positive for them in some circles, and only negative in a few. They had clearly decided that it is more beneficial than detrimental.

TBH, if the people they were losing were all like Green, then I can see why Tesco might be happy not to have them as customers.

Posted by justlooking (# 12079) on :

Tesco is one of the largest employers in the country with about a quarter million employees. Lots of them will be gay or lesbian. Gay Pride is just one charity among many the supermarket will support in a year. I doubt if there's anything more to it than that.

quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's cat:

TBH, if the people they were losing were all like Green, then I can see why Tesco might be happy not to have them as customers.

Seems to have been the same logic used by the Co-Operative Bank.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2005/jun/24/ethicalmoney.religion

quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
quote:

Because reasonable people don't make the headlines and he is quotogenic.
Reasonable people don't make headlines, nor do unreasonable ones. Sub-editors do.

And newspapers don't exist to tell the truth, newspapers exist for one reason, to sell newspapers.

As long as Stephen Green's comments help them to sell newspapers he'll be quoted.

Posted by Steve H (# 17102) on :

quote:

Because he's a stupid bigot!

Posted by Mark Betts (# 17074) on :

I don't hate the guy - at least some of what he says may be true, but he has no authority. He isn't "the voice" for all true christians.

My real problem with him is that he is pro-life (as I am) but also campaigns for the re-introduction of capital punishment.

I know this view is commonly held among fundamentalist evangelicals, but I cannot see how such a view can fit in with the story of Jesus and the woman caught in adultery - "let he who is without sin cast the first stone."

Posted by Albertus (# 13356) on :

I think it's pretty clear that Stephen Green is not very well, isn't it? Although he's embarrassing, he's really someone to be pitied.

Posted by leo (# 1458) on :

Indeed. I think he is mentally ill.

I sometimes pray for him through gritted teeth.

Posted by Molopata The Rebel (# 9933) on :

I'm serverely worried. We are currently dealing with a mouse (trap coming tomorrow). What gay things have we been up to?

He's a fanatic - and you don't have to be mentally ill to be a fanatic (but it helps!)

quote:
Originally posted by Mark Betts:

My real problem with him is that he is pro-life (as I am) but also campaigns for the re-introduction of capital punishment.

Shome mishtake, surely?
People opposed to abortion and euthanasia are only 'pro-life' if they're also opponents of capital punishment, and are pacifists and vegetarians. Otherwise, they're just anti-choice. I'm absolutely opposed to capital punishment, pacifically-inclined but no longer an absolute pacifist, and no longer a vegetarian (I used to be both), and I believe in allowing abortion and euthanasia in some circumstances. Therefore, I'm not pro-life, but then, I don't claim to be. I'm a utilitarian ethically - life as such isn't the point. Happiness is.

[ 12. May 2012, 22:57: Message edited by: Steve H ]

Posted by Sioni Sais (# 5713) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Steve H:
quote:

Shome mishtake, surely?
People opposed to abortion and euthanasia are only 'pro-life' if they're also opponents of capital punishment, and are pacifists and vegetarians. Otherwise, they're just anti-choice. I'm absolutely opposed to capital punishment, pacifically-inclined but no longer an absolute pacifist, and no longer a vegetarian (I used to be both), and I believe in allowing abortion and euthanasia in some circumstances. Therefore, I'm not pro-life, but then, I don't claim to be. I'm a utilitarian ethically - life as such isn't the point. Happiness is.

You can see all the 'pro-life' arguments you like our our Dead Horses board which caters for issues which generate plenty of heat but no light, as the views people hold on these issues are pretty much fixed in stone.

The problem with Stephen Green OTOH is that people treat him seriously. He should be treated as representative of Christians rather as one would regard a train-spotter as likely to understand how to run a railway.

I think he's gay.

quote:
Originally posted by justlooking:
I think he's gay.

The breeders can keep him to themselves, thank you very much.

Maybe it's from pretending to be straight that he's got so twisted up.

quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
The problem with Stephen Green is that people treat him seriously...

Who takes him seriously?

quote:
quote:

Who takes him seriously?
The members of his 'Christian Voice' bigots' club, and the people who turn up at demonstrations he organises, presumably, but no-one else.

quote:
quote:

Who takes him seriously?
The media for a start, otherwise they wouldn't give him a platform. He even appeared on BBC1's Question Time a few years ago.

quote:
The members of his 'Christian Voice' bigots' club, and the people who turn up at demonstrations he organises, presumably, but no-one else.

Er.. 'Christian Voice' bigots' club? - to my knowledge he is it!

Demonstations he organises? I don't think he organises any, he just tags along to other people's Protests, with his leaflets and stand!

quote:

...I would have acknowledged that possibility if we were in Purgatory or in Dead Horses. But down here in Hell I really end up hoping that he's not secretly playing for my team.

I can sympathise with folks who struggle with their sexuality. But I find it pretty darn hard to sympathise with those whose "struggle" involves lashing out at the rest of us in insane ways.

Mind you, I've got at least one gay friend who's fairly deeply embarrassed about the way he used to behave towards gays when he was still in the closet.

quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
quote:

...I would have acknowledged that possibility if we were in Purgatory or in Dead Horses. But down here in Hell I really end up hoping that he's not secretly playing for my team.

I can sympathise with folks who struggle with their sexuality. But I find it pretty darn hard to sympathise with those whose "struggle" involves lashing out at the rest of us in insane ways.

Mind you, I've got at least one gay friend who's fairly deeply embarrassed about the way he used to behave towards gays when he was still in the closet.

..So there's hope for Stevey-boy Green yet then! [Killing me]

quote:
quote:

Er.. 'Christian Voice' bigots' club? - to my knowledge he is it!

Demonstations he organises? I don't think he organises any, he just tags along to other people's Protests, with his leaflets and stand!

I've been convinced for a while that Stephen Green alone is Christian Voice. He probably has a letterhead and persuades some people to give him money, but that's about it. He certainly has no "inner circle" with whom he tosses around ideas or comes to consensus.

He's a weasel. [Razz]

quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:
I've been convinced for a while that Stephen Green alone is Christian Voice. He probably has a letterhead and persuades some people to give him money, but that's about it. He certainly has no "inner circle" with whom he tosses around ideas or comes to consensus.

Exactly - I've heard that he's recently promoted himself to chairman!

This is all getting a little too humorous for Hell...

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:

Exactly - I've heard that he's recently promoted himself to chairman!
I believe he has a dog, which makes two of them. The dog's main job is that of 'think-tank'.

I see a movie in this: Stephen "Soylent" Green, or a Dog and His Dogchow.

Posted by Marvin the Martian (# 4360) on :

quote:

What would you know about it, n00b?

quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
quote:

What would you know about it, n00b?
Do Wha'?

That was almost English. Do keep trying.

quote:
That was almost English. Do keep trying.

Lovely to meet you, by the way..

You may be a little confused, the nice friendly welcoming thread is on the All Saints board.

Posted by passer (# 13329) on :

Just four posts to go, Marv. Be strong.

I'm not that much happier with Shipmates who think they know exactly what Hell should be like, to be honest.

quote:
I'm not that much happier with Shipmates who think they know exactly what Hell should be like, to be honest.

I did introduce myself in All Saints, now why don't you just tell me what I'm doing wrong! Sure, I get that Hell isn't a nice place to be, but you are not making much sense...

quote:
Originally posted by PaulBC:
Has he ever heard of the virtue of charity towards ones fellow men ?

He would probably argue that he's being charitable by warning people of the danger they're in of going to hell if they don't repent. That's the usual line taken by self-righteous bigots like him.
Anyway, if you think he's bad, don't forget Fred Phelps and Westboro Baptist Church - the yanks always manage to go one better than us.

quote:
quote:

I did introduce myself in All Saints, now why don't you just tell me what I'm doing wrong! Sure, I get that Hell isn't a nice place to be, but you are not making much sense...
Put a sock in it, you two!

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by PaulBC:
Has he ever heard of the virtue of charity towards ones fellow men ?

He would probably argue that he's being charitable by warning people of the danger they're in of going to hell if they don't repent. That's the usual line taken by self-righteous bigots like him.
Anyway, if you think he's bad, don't forget Fred Phelps and Westboro Baptist Church - the yanks always manage to go one better than us.

Stevie-boy Green is a saint compared to them!

quote:
Put a sock in it, you two!

Hee hee. I like this one, he's funny.

Posted by Kelly Alves (# 2522) on :

I was just about to post something similar, Marv.

And as for the strident n00b--I'm sorry, somebody sitting there hovering at "49" reminds me of the kid playing tag on the playground who yells "Time out!" the minute anyone gets near him. Eat him, Marv.

quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
I was just about to post something similar, Marv.

And as for the strident n00b--I'm sorry, somebody sitting there hovering at "49" reminds me of the kid playing tag on the playground who yells "Time out!" the minute anyone gets near him. Eat him, Marv.

Maybe you should both join Christian Voice - there would be three of you then!

Posted by RooK (# 1852) on :

[rummages in cupboard for mustard]

quote:
Originally posted by RooK:
[rummages in cupboard for mustard]

[Killing me]

Posted by Nicolemrw (# 28) on :

Is this going to turn into another cannibalism thread?

Posted by RooK (# 1852) on :

Don't tempt me to bite your head off.

quote:
Maybe you should both join Christian Voice - there would be three of you then!

Not a bad idea, actually. Because then Kelly and I would hold 67% of the voting power and would be able to kick Green out and reform CV in our own image.

Whether the media would still be interested in the pronouncements of "Martian BunnyAxe Voice" is another matter, of course...

Posted by Kelly Alves (# 2522) on :

OK, next to my dream gig of hosting a morning show with Duchess, that is the best scenario I have seen on the Ship yet.

Mark Betts, I see you are now at 68. Today you have become a man. Mazeltov.

Posted by Boogie (# 13538) on :

They wheeled him out again today as a spokesman for Christianity.

(Radio 2)

[Disappointed]

It is much easier to make a programme when you know the response you are going to get.

Someone with a more nuanced theology might say something the programme makers were not expecting. That would never do.

Stephen Green is nothing if not predictable.

(That last sentence works with only the first four letters.)

I am a doofus.

I meant to say last four WORDS. Duh!

And I preview posted too.

quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
They wheeled him out again today as a spokesman for Christianity.

(Radio 2)

[Disappointed]

Well we all know what the BBC thinks about Christianity... Go figure!

quote:

BBC Sunday breakfast shows tend to be pro-Christian. What the BBC does is tailor content to the audience, so what the BBC thinks differs according to time of day and station broadcast on.

quote:
quote:

BBC Sunday breakfast shows tend to be pro-Christian. What the BBC does is tailor content to the audience, so what the BBC thinks differs according to time of day and station broadcast on.
Not only that but Radio 4 and Radio 2 have their Thought for the Day/Pause for Thought every morning which are often (though not always) Christian in content. Radio 3 often broadcasts Choral Evensong and services for major festivals are often broadcast too. For instance, this evening (May 17th) Radio 4 will be broadcasting a live Eucharist for Ascension Day from St Martin in the Fields.

[ 17. May 2012, 16:19: Message edited by: Spike ]

Not S. Martin's this year - somewhere less well-known.

You're quite right, it was t St Sepulchre's this year. Even so, my point still stands.

Indeed - I have listened to part of it - really good and it takes for granted that it doesn't have to explain itself - just straight in.

quote:
Originally posted by Spike:
You're quite right, it was t St Sepulchre's this year. Even so, my point still stands.

No doubt just as liberal, and politically slightly left (of Trotsky)

quote:
quote:

Where the fuck does 'the left' begin? Ken Clarke?

quote:
quote:
quote:

Where the fuck does 'the left' begin? Ken Clarke?
That's a bit like saying "When do Anglican clergypersons preach politics? I thought it was all about the Gospel!"

quote:
quote:
quote:

Not only that but Radio 4 and Radio 2 have their Thought for the Day/Pause for Thought every morning which are often (though not always) Christian in content. Radio 3 often broadcasts Choral Evensong and services for major festivals are often broadcast too. For instance, this evening (May 17th) Radio 4 will be broadcasting a live Eucharist for Ascension Day from St Martin in the Fields.

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

OOPS - what i meant to say was....

The BBC is like Douglas Adam's Electric Monk. Not only able to watch all known beliefs but believe in them all simultaneously as well.

Wow, it took you a whole month to think that up?

Posted by Hezekiah (# 17157) on :

I once heard Stephen Green speak at the Oxford Union. When he said that it is 'physically impossible for two men to have sex', a friend of mine stood up and said 'Have you tried? I have and I can assure you it's entirely possible.'

I dont return to my old threads very often. Just like now!

Double thread necromancy? I think not.

Marvin
Hellhost

© Ship of Fools 2016