Thread: The Breakfast of Champions. Board: Oblivion / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=70;t=022770

Posted by Graven Image (# 8755) on :

My neighbor stopped by while I was fixing my usual week-day breakfast. " Good Heavens is that what you eat for Breakfast?" she said. My usual week day morning meal is one piece of whole wheat toast divided into three parts. One part has butter and seaweed with ground nuts, the second part has peanut butter, and the third part has hummus. I add some fruit and tea. Saturday is a day where hubby and I have a big breakfast. It can be any of the following, eggs, or french toast, bacon or sausage, pancakes, or waffles. Sunday it is plain toast and tea as there is always some fruit and cookies after church. So shipmates how do you start your day.

Posted by lily pad (# 11456) on :

Oatmeal porridge with a teaspoon of brown sugar and a little milk just about every day. If I'm feeling daring, I add a little cinnamon. If not oatmeal then frosted mini-wheats.

Favourite breakfast out is eggs Benedict made with smoked salmon or french toast.

Posted by irish_lord99 (# 16250) on :

When I was working in the woods up in Alaska, I would get up at 5:30 and start my day by drinking coffee with my left hand while making 2 eggs, 3 slices of bacon, and 2 pieces of tost. Then I'd make it all into a sandwich and head out the door still drinking coffee.

When living in New England a bowl of cereal usually sufficed on the weekdays and we'd make omelets, pancakes, or something else more elaborate on Saturdays.

Once we moved to Turkey we started doing Turkish breakfasts: feta cheese, tomatoes, a boiled egg, and fresh bread with spreads. I still drink my coffee for breakfast, I like Turkish tea, but there's not enough caffeine for my morning kick-start!

Posted by Sioni Sais (# 5713) on :

Two boiled eggs, with toast. That really sets me up.

If I'm out and find somewhere that does kippers, smokies or the like, I home in on that. Anyone for kedgeree?

Lilypad posted
quote:
eggs Benedict made with smoked salmon
Yum, I am with you Lilypad, but around there they make it with fresh crab cakes rather then salmon.

Posted by Og, King of Bashan (# 9562) on :

Most weekdays I have a bagel with cream cheese. There is a bagel shop down the street from my office that gives away a dozen day-olds with purchase, and they freeze well.

Other mornings it is rice cakes with peanut butter and jelly, sometimes banana slices as well.

Weekend mornings, especially after a boozy night, will sometimes find me making traditional chilaquiles. The other go-to is a less traditional version of the same dish, where I fry tortilla strips, mix them into scrambled eggs, and then make an omelet with pickled jalapenos, cheese, breakfast sausage, sour cream, and salsa. You wouldn't fit into your pants for long if you ate it every morning, but sometimes it is exactly what you need in the morning.

Posted by BessHiggs (# 15176) on :

My breakfast is usually whatever is leftover from the previous night or two. This morning it was a raw ear of sweet corn followed up with spaghetti & meatballs. Yesterday I munched on cold steak, pasta salad, and raw green beans.

I love breakfast food, but rarely eat it at breakfast time.

Posted by Firenze (# 619) on :

Toast.

Toast and marmite.

Coffee.

Did I mention toast?

I make my own bread and I have to say I am heavily influenced in my choice of recipe by its potential toastability. White with grated cheese and sesame/poppy seeds is the best.

Special treat is Tip contents of fruit bowl into juicer and have wildly original smoothie. Followed by toast. Or, if it happens to be Christmas Day, scrambled eggs and smoked salmon (on toast) with Buck's Fizz.

Posted by ken (# 2460) on :

Usually no morning breakfast at all. Mornings are too short for breakfast, I'm always late for work, and anyway I usually don't really want to eat for some hours after I get up because I'm not fully awake yet. So the first mug of tea is likely to be at work at maybe 11am or later, and I don't usually eat till 2 or 3 pm. The choice between "stay in bed another fifteen minutes or get up earlier and have breakfast" is no choice. Neither is the choice between "have a bath or have breakfast". Bed and bath win. If someone else was making the tea I'd gladly drink it - morning physiological objections to eating don't apply to drinking tea of course - but that only happens when I visit my Mum.

If I do have breakfast in the morning its almost always tea and toast. The tea being the one vital thing.

Fry-ups are for hangovers, parties that are still going at dawn, or the morning after an election night. General elections tend to lead to all three together.

quote:
Originally posted by Graven Image:
Lilypad posted
quote:
eggs Benedict made with smoked salmon
Yum, I am with you Lilypad, but around there they make it with fresh crab cakes rather then salmon.
Sounds amazing! I would love it.

Posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe (# 5521) on :

Juice on an empty stomach makes me nauseous, so I never have juice. First thing, I take my meds (blood pressure & thyroid) with water.

Then: I alternate between "cereal days" and "egg days". Both days include black coffee freshly brewed.

Cereal days: Lo-carb, sugar-free cereal such as bran flakes, multi-grain flakes, etc. with half-and-half or heavy cream* and sweetened with Splenda.

Egg days: Two eggs fixed in a variety of ways (soft boiled, scrambled, fried over easy), sometimes with bacon or sausage.

If with bacon, sometimes I'll have my eggs basted (fried sunny side up but with bacon grease basted over them to cook the tops without having to flip them).

If soft boiled, I usually crumble a piece of multi-grain toast into the eggs (comfort food, like my mother used to do when I was little, don't you know). Otherwise I sometimes have the eggs on toast, other times not.

On egg days, for variety, I'll sometimes fix an omelet. Some of my favorite things to cook into an omelet are: corn, fried peppers/onions, asparagus, broccoli, and of course cheese (Swiss or cheddar).

* I never use milk, especially milk-flavored water (oops, I mean lowfat milk), as it's all carbs and no taste. Half-and-half and cream may be high on fat but they're proportionately low on carbs and high on taste.

Posted by Lucia (# 15201) on :

I need protein of some sort to start the day, usually an egg, scrambled if I'm in a hurry (most days), boiled at weekends, occasionally omlette or poached for variety. Usually with bread or toast, unless I'm trying to lose weight (which I should be but can't be bothered at present [Hot and Hormonal] ). I love full english breakfast with bacon and sausages but sadly such pig derived delicacies are not readily available here in Tunisia.
Coffee is also required. Even though I drink decaff and so it's not for the caffeine kick I still like coffee for breakfast. (It's not that I don't like caffeine but it doesn't agree with me!)

What I can't tolerate is carb only breakfast, especially speedily absorbed sugar laden cereal. The rapid rise in blood sugar just makes me feel so sleepy, sluggish and almost nauseous all I want to do is go back to bed!

Posted by no_prophet (# 15560) on :

This seems to be an eggy crowd!

Long time routine when young: put on the porridge while washing up and getting dressed. You get to know the stove and know what temp and how long. Always add the mix of oats and 7 grain porridge to cold water mixed with fruit juice or fruit if have some on hand. Now with microwaves no need for stove timing nor pot washing. Twice per week sardines on toast with a second piece for jam. That is a power breakfast and will last until 1:30 or 2 pm.

I do make bread pudding with left over bread and will eat that for 3 or 4 mornings some weeks. I make all the bread. Egg, bread, fruit, all baked up. Never the same twice.

And tea always. And never that nasty alternative drink: teabag. Clear and something to stand a spoon in. I make 1½ L of it each morning. 2 cups or 500 ml into me with breaky, another 500 over the course of the morning, and another 500 in the afternoon. Often another 500 in the evening. Wife's grandmother taught me this 30+ years ago and she lived to 94....

Now if we're at a lake, there's nothing like fresh fish scrambled up with an egg or two over a fire.

Posted by WhateverTheySay (# 16598) on :

A bowl of cornflakes with semi skimmed milk. A cup of coffee with single cream. And my morning meds.

I cannot eat savoury in the morning, but I love a cooked breakfast (as long as it is without the bacon or sausage) at lunchtime.

Posted by Ariel (# 58) on :

There isn't anything I "always" have as I get bored pretty quickly eating the same things all the time, and I really dislike cereal and milk.

This week's mornings have started with a Marmite sandwich; a croissant; a banana; grilled tomatoes on toast; tomorrow might be beans on toast if there's time, more likely a hot bacon roll with tomato sauce if I get to the station on time.

There is no set plan. When time permits, other good things are Eggs Benedict with ham and a squeeze of lemon, or potato cakes, or the Full Irish, or mushrooms on toast, or a cheese sandwich. Blue cheese is good. For whatever reason strong flavours seem to be a necessity in the morning, a kickstart to the day.

Variety is the spice of life [Biased]

Posted by Twilight (# 2832) on :

Coffee and 4oz juice.
That's all I want first thing.

However, reading this thread in the late afternoon has made me very excited.

Irish Lord's sandwich, in particular, sounds prize worthy. Firenze is like my father who used to keep the toaster on the table and go through a half loaf a meal.

I love eggs! Eggs are one dollar a dozen at Kroger this week! They're always a bargain and they're such perfect protein, possibly my favorite food. For a while there they were getting a bad rap because of the cholesterol but I think the verdict is in now and the cholesterol in eggs doesn't effect human blood cholesterol.

I love eggs scrambled, fried, Benedicted, and deviled but I think the best, most respectful way to get the maximum flavor from an egg is to soft boil it just until the white is firm and the yellow still runny. Only I can't ever time it right. Any tips?

Posted by Chorister (# 473) on :

A very small bowl of Rice Krispies. Where would I be without my snap, crackle and pop?

Posted by Albertus (# 13356) on :

I dearly love a good fry-up, or kippers, if I'm out - but also rather fond of the cold meats/cheese/pastries kind of buffet if it's any good.

At home tea, cereal, of a bran-y, fruity kind, with a banana on it: then, at the moment- luxury of luxuries- home-made bread with honey from our own bees.

Posted by la vie en rouge (# 10688) on :

On my disorganised days, a pain au raisin from the hole in the wall outlet on the way to work. Actually this particular outlet is only open in the mornings. Apparently they make such a killing in the morning selling croissants and all their cousins that they can close after that.

When more organised, muesli and yogurt (don't like it with milk) or wholegrain toast and marmite. I need wholegrains because I get too hungry too fast otherwise.

I always try to get some kind of fruit component in the morning because I find it tough to get to five a day otherwise. I usually have a carton of juice or smoothie in the fridge at work for the second half of breakfast (see my earlier point about being disorganised).

Eggs are for weekends.

quote:
Originally posted by Chorister:
A very small bowl of Rice Krispies. Where would I be without my snap, crackle and pop?

That is so you, Chorister. Even your breakfast is musical.

Posted by comet (# 10353) on :

coffee coffee coffee.

about half of the mornings, I also do a smoothie - something along this theme: plain full-fat yogurt (homemade), blueberries and whatever other fruit is handy, and a glob of almond butter. sometimes protein powder, especially if I'm out of almond butter. sometimes some ground up ginger, especially if I'm fighting off the crud. these "smoothies" are very thick and eaten with a spoon.

I'm a big fan of eggs - usually made with chile. lots of chile! but that's lunch or dinner.

Posted by Edith (# 16978) on :

Two cuppas, one piece of toast with either home made lemon curd or crab apple jelly and a banana. And another cuppa.

Posted by Og, King of Bashan (# 9562) on :

quote:
Originally posted by la vie en rouge:
On my disorganised days, a pain au raisin from the hole in the wall outlet on the way to work. Actually this particular outlet is only open in the mornings. Apparently they make such a killing in the morning selling croissants and all their cousins that they can close after that.

I used to live within walking distance of a French bakery. Same deal- they were open until they sold out, which was noon if you were lucky. I think they made most of their money selling loaves of wonderful bread to restaurants. They make a croissant with a sweet walnut paste on the inside that is to die for. I don't know why I ever moved out of that neighborhood.

Pain au chocolat is another morning joy, btw. They never last long enough, though.

Posted by Niminypiminy (# 15489) on :

Tea. A least two mugs.

Home-made bread toast with marmalade (at the moment I am eating up a batch made with blood oranges) or jam; or porridge made with milk and with golden syrup on top; or raw porridge oats, milk and sugar.
At the weekends, pancakes (either crepes or scotch).

I can never feel like savoury food in the morning.

Posted by Roseofsharon (# 9657) on :

Daily: Porridge made with 30g rolled oats, 15g oat bran 1/2cup skimmed milk and1/2 cup water. I mix in 1 small banana, chopped, and 1/2 cup blackberries, blackcurrants or blueberries from the freezer (defrosted) or in summer 1/2 cup of any seasonal soft fruit. I will have had a mug of coffee couple of hours earlier, and after I have eaten I have a mug of fennel tea.

However, occasionally, if there is anyone around offering to cook a "Full English" fried breakfast or to serve warm croissants with home-made jam, I find that a more than acceptable alternative to my healthy bowlful.

Posted by Pulsator Organorum Ineptus (# 2515) on :

I'm with Ken on the choice between bed and breakfast and not wanting to eat as soon as I surface.

I usually have a couple of cups of coffee as soon as I arrive at work, and a bowl of muesli and some more coffee around 10.

Posted by Vulpior (# 12744) on :

Coffee and A bowl of cereal. I'm eating a muesli-type thing from Costco at the moment with cold milk, but I'll sometimes have weetbix with hot milk.

I'd do toast more often but him indoors has a plate and can manage the weetbix better than toast before putting it in.

Saturday morning is always breakfast out at a cafe in the village with friends.

Posted by Lyda*Rose (# 4544) on :

Three mornings a week I eat with my dad. He usually has a large variety of cold cereals on hand, so I have plain mini wheats with Splenda, or sweetened wheat puffs or honey oats with dried strawberries, all with 2% fat milk.

On Mondays when I'm going across town to volunteer at the church office, to reward my virtue I pick up an egg burrito with shredded cheddar, sliced tomatoes, and green sauce, and a carton of orange juice. A favorite!

Posted by Jigsaw (# 11433) on :

Coffee and the Guardian Quick Crossword, ideally in the garden to the sound of birdsong.
(Bowing in admiration of Miss Amanda's wonderful variety of breakfast fare...)

quote:
Originally posted by Twilight:
Eggs are one dollar a dozen at Kroger this week! They're always a bargain.

I used to buy the cheap ones too, at Frys (owned by Kroger). However, I just finished reading a book that described, among other things, the conditions under which hens that supply us with cheap eggs are forced to live. It's enough to put you off food altogether, let alone eggs. I now spend the few extra dollars for free-range eggs. They do look and taste noticeably better, by the way.

quote:
I think the best, most respectful way to get the maximum flavor from an egg is to soft boil it just until the white is firm and the yellow still runny. Only I can't ever time it right. Any tips?

Bring water to a boil with the eggs already in it. Start timing just as the water comes to a boil. Time for exactly three minutes -- use a timer. Rinse eggs in cold water immediately when the time is up.

Posted by Lothlorien (# 4927) on :

I've been eating untoasted muesli with apricot and dates and almonds for months. Frozen berries on top and some coffee.

However, it's now winter down here and the last few mornings have been cold. Very cold wind here today. So I've switched to rolled oats. Just plain, very occasionally a sprinkle of brown sugar, but usually plain and no milk. And coffee, made at home on small coffee machine which turns out better flat whites than many shops.

Posted by Jade Constable (# 17175) on :

Alas, I am allergic to oats [Frown]

I'm also one who can't face food straight away, so first it's a strong, sweet coffee, and then either eggs and mushrooms and/or bacon, cheese on toast or yogurt and fruit (sometimes with rice pudding as a porridge replacement if it's cold outside). I can't seem to manage a big breakfast. Sardines on toast sounds like a delicious option but I don't think my fish-hating household would approve of the smell.

Posted by poileplume (# 16438) on :

Those supplying recipes for porridge / hot oats have forgotten the maple syrup.

Posted by jedijudy (# 333) on :

I love breakfast! It always includes a big mug of tea, and yogurt. Sometimes I make a bowlful of steel cut oats with sultanas and dried blueberries in it. (Poor babybear thinks I'm crazy to ruin oats with raisins!) About half the time, a banana is part of the meal. Most often, though, it's yogurt and tea...and applesauce to mix one of my meds into.

Sometimes Saturday breakfast is turkey bacon and two eggs over easy. Mom and Dad's chickens (pampered, spoiled things) provide the eggs!

Posted by Mamacita (# 3659) on :

My breakfast routine was disrupted about a year ago when my doctor prescribed Synthroid for me (must be taken first thing in the a.m.), and now I can't tolerate calcium for at least an hour afterwards. So my long-standing routine of Cheerios, blueberries and milk has been thrown off and I'm trying to regain my footing. On work days I generally have a piece of whole wheat toast with a tablespoon of peanut butter. Plus coffee, of course.

I'm trying to get used to soy milk so I can have cereal again, with mixed results.

Posted by comet (# 10353) on :

soy milk sucks. try almond milk. or coconut milk! even better!

[ 22. June 2012, 04:41: Message edited by: comet ]

Mamacita wrote
quote:
I can't tolerate calcium
I cannot do calcium either. I have found oatmeal with fruit and no milk works, and dry cherrios in a cup with some dried fruit, eaten out of hand is okay. Almond milk works better for me then soy, but the bottom line is I keep thinking it is going to taste like dairy and of course it does not.

Posted by Timothy the Obscure (# 292) on :

I'm a breakfast person. My first thought on waking is "What am I going to eat?" On days when I get to sleep in, I may spend an hour or so drifting in and out of sleep, alternately planning and dreaming of breakfast. Unfortunately, on w*rk days I'm pretty much stuck with cereal (steel cut oatmeal in the winter, if I remembered to soak it overnight--with nuts and dried fruit, usually pecans and cherries; cold cereal with fruit--usually bananas, strawberries or peaches in season--in warmer months).

On weekends I go for eggs: fried over easy, with bacon or sausage and grits or hash browns; Huevos Rancheros (for those unfamiliar with Mexican food, that's eggs, fried or poached, over refried beans and tortillas, topped with salsa and cheese);or if I'm feeling ambitious, an omelet--mushroom, bacon, spinach, and Camembert is my favorite.

When I get to eat breakfast out, other dishes come into play....

quote:
Originally posted by poileplume:

I love the flavour but I eat very little of anything sweet and certainly not on oats. I don't do it but my grandfather used to put a sprinkle of salt on rolled oats. I also don't use the instant oats packages with different flavours.

Posted by Paddy O'Furniture (# 12953) on :

Because I'm a Type 2 diabetic, I try not to eat really carb-laden foods early in the morning because they'll just make me want to go back to sleep. I have been known to eat "strange" things when first awakening--not strange to ME, strange to everyone else. Things like cold lasagna and cold pizza are favorites. Actually cold pizza anytime of the day is great. In the winter, I will eat instant artificially flavored oatmeal just because it's hot and filling and the oatmeal tends to have a little more mileage than some other carbohydrates. I would love to drink orange juice but again, it's that diabetes thing--so much sugar in orange juice or really, fruit juice of any flavor. I bought some frozen blueberries yesterday and plan on making pancakes with them this weekend. I already know they're going to put me to sleep... [Biased]

Posted by Paddy O'Furniture (# 12953) on :

Oh boy! I almost forgot! June 18th was my forty-fifth birthday and my oldest sister had gotten me a bread maker last winter but I just got it this week. I can't wait to make some homemade bread, toast it, and put some lovely sugar-free preserves on it. Maybe to celebrate, I'll whip up some scrambled eggs with cheese and veggies and serve that with the bread.... mmmmmmm, hope my stomach cooperates... I was in the hospital last week with ongoing mysterious stomach problems and there's no clue what food will set my stomach to forcibly ejecting its contents. Sorry! Gross, I know.

And now, back to the PLEASANT conversation already in progress.

For some years I had a job for in which a swathe of work had to be completed by 8 am. Which, happily, was when the staff canteen opened. Fairly foul coffee ( but with caffeine in. Caffeine!), a white roll with a hash brown and two rashers of bacon.

It was a lifebelt breakfast - kept you afloat for the rest of the day.

Posted by churchgeek (# 5557) on :

Usually I have Greek yogurt. Sometimes I eat a nutrition bar if I have to run before I can eat, and other times I have wheat bread with honey. The main thing is that it takes no preparation. I'm not a morning person.

quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
quote:
I think the best, most respectful way to get the maximum flavor from an egg is to soft boil it just until the white is firm and the yellow still runny. Only I can't ever time it right. Any tips?

Bring water to a boil with the eggs already in it. Start timing just as the water comes to a boil. Time for exactly three minutes -- use a timer. Rinse eggs in cold water immediately when the time is up.
Thank you for that. I see my mistake has been waiting for the water to boil before sliding in the eggs.

I may try the free ranges again, soon, I agree they are good. My vegetarian son reads all the food scandal items on the internet -- he made me watch a documentary about turkey farming that I'll never get over -- and just yesterday he read something to me from one of his magazines that says canned tomatoes are dangerous. Sometimes I'm conscientious about it all and sometimes the sale signs turn me toward the bad side.

Posted by bib (# 13074) on :

Be good but not too good

Posted by bib (# 13074) on :

I vary between two breakfasts. Some days I have a bowl of porridge to which I add sliced banana and whatever other fruit is around. Sliced strawberries are good. My porridge doesn't include milk as I am lactose intolerant. Other days I have two slices of multi grain toast with Vegemite plus a banana. All is accompanied by a hot cup of tea. I never drink coffee.

Apropos fried breakfast this is a bid for the biggest. (video, not safe for those of a nervous disposition.)

Posted by piglet (# 11803) on :

Work days: a bowl of cranberry-and-almond cereal and get a Timmy's™ when I get to work.

Saturdays: breakfast would interfere with Sleep, although we occasionally go out for brunch.

Sundays: I don't have anything before going to church; it's not so much a liturgical "breaking one's fast" thing, more a development of habit. After church we usually go out for lunch (which is sometimes breakfast depending on where we go).

quote:
Originally posted by poileplume:

That's because all that is required whne cooking porridge is oats, water, and salt!

Some people may wish to add milk or sugar, or even honey or jam or maple syrup, in the privacy of their own plate. There is no accounting for the tastes of Some people. But such contaminants do not belong in the cooking pan. [Disappointed]

May I suggest using milk instead of water in the cooking of it?

quote:
Originally posted by Paddy O'Furniture:
I will eat instant artificially flavored oatmeal just because it's hot and filling and the oatmeal tends to have a little more mileage than some other carbohydrates.

Surely that is laden with sugar? "Quick oats" are just as fast to prepare (less than three minutes in the microwave) and have zero sugar provided you don't add any -- which I'm sure you don't.

quote:
May I suggest using milk instead of water in the cooking of it?

Only if you want to be Deeply and Profoundly Wrong [Razz]

Posted by no_prophet (# 15560) on :

I've been using wild oats, and second choice is large flake.

Quick oats is to oatmeal, as teabag is to tea. Both are processed beyond what is required.

And salt is never required.

quote:
Originally posted by no_prophet:
Quick oats is to oatmeal, as teabag is to tea. Both are processed beyond what is required. And salt is never required.

Don't get me wrong -- I agree! But if it's a choice between quick oats, which are oats and nothing else, and instant oatmeal, which is oats and sugar and flavorings and God only knows what else, I'll take quick oats.

I also agree about the salt, which I never use.

As for milk -- try it. The oats come out extra smooth and creamy, and oh so delicious. Actually I use half and half.

Posted by Smudgie (# 2716) on :

Breakfast is my one unmissable meal of the day. I have cereal (bran flakes and dorset cereal's fruity muesli) with milk, an apple and a mug of hot water, followed usually with coffee. I stick to a regular breakfast seeing as I love breakfasts so much that when I go to one of those hotels where they have a breakfast bar with lots of choices, I am driven slightly insane by the decision making dilemma or else slightly obese by the irrepressible desire to have some of everything. Add choice into the mix at home and I'd be as round as I am tall (hmm... heading that way anyway, by the look of it).

I love cereal. I love continental breakfasty things. I love toast. I love full English. I love eggs. I love porridge. I love fruit. I love the indulgence of things like pancakes for breakfast which I experienced in Canada or yogurt for breakfast which I had in Israel, or pastries for breakfast like I had in France. I am a breakfastoholic.

I have breakfast before going to work, regardless of how early that means I have to get up (5.30 am if I'm on an early shift) - my downfall is that most of my colleagues don't, and then stop for a breakfast break at around nine. Well... it'd be unsociable of me not to join them, wouldn't it?

Lunch - take it or leave it. Dinner - take it or leave it. Supper - no thank you. But breakfast. I could rival a hobbit when it comes to breakfasts.

Smudgie, I like your style.

Posted by Janine (# 3337) on :

Breakfast is supposed to be the most important meal. Get a good breakfast in you, they say, and you'll do /be / feel better all day long in so many ways.

Maybe I'm backward. If I eat absolutely nothing in the morning -- the only thing in my stomach besides the morning round of pills, plus a smallish cup of coffee with a great big dollop of condensed milk or cream and a teaspoon of sugar -- I don't crash and burn before lunch time, and I want to eat less food, total, all day long.

OTOH, if I eat a decent breakfast, paying attention to fewer carbs (and those complex) and higher proteins as I should, I love it, but will be ravenous by lunch time and a zombie about 3 p.m.

I haven't figured myself out, in almost 50 years. Maybe I won't, ever.

Cold pizza from the night before is a staple breakfast from college/young parent days. The Football God is actually happy with that, too.

I like oatmeal, using a rolled oat or some other quicker-cooking oat-only form. Drop a fistful of that in a bowl, add a teaspoon of butter, a teaspoon or two brown sugar, a dash of salt, maybe a half cup of condensed milk or cream, microwave about 2 minutes... that'll do it.

If I have time/money to go out for breakfast on the way to work, I usually hit the little diner across the bayou from home. It's gotten to the point where waitress Cindy remembers me and my "usual": a cup of real coffee followed by several of decaff, eggs over medium, buttered toast, occasionally bacon or country ham.

Posted by PeteC (# 10422) on :

Oatmeal or leftovers from last night. Tea.

When I have some time, I do a cholesterol-free omelette. When I have lots of time, it's puttu podi with spicy mung dahl. And tea, did I say that?

Janine, I'm thinking a pond difference here but you say half a cup of condensed milk? Down here condensed milk is like a refrigerated honey and flows very slowly. Do you mean evaporated milk which is creamy and runny, only slightly heavier than ordinary milk? Either way is far too sweet for me but I'm interested in what you are actually talking about.

[ 23. June 2012, 08:33: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

Condensed milk! I don't think I've seen condensed milk since the 1970s! Nostalgia trip!

We used it for baking and sometimes spread it on bread instead of butter. Well actually when we were kids we waited till our Mum wasn't looking and stuck our fingers in it and sucked them. If you opened the tin and didn't use it all it actually went solid after a day or two. You could cut it with a knife. Its hard to imagine putting it in tea or coffee. Or even wanting to.

Evaporated milk was much more common, mostly put on fruit or other sweet foods as a cheap cream substitute. You might get away with it in coffee but it would be horrible in tea. Still see it around sometimes, but its almost gone.

I guess fridges have almost killed it off. Most peopel we knew didn't have fridges when I was a kid. Which is why we used tins of evaporated or condensed milk. They keep in warm weather when bottled milk would go off.

[ 23. June 2012, 10:52: Message edited by: ken ]

Posted by LutheranChik (# 9826) on :

Breakfast is pretty random here, especially if we're up very early in the morning. DP has a hard time eating when she first gets up...she needs at least an hour to work up from coffee to food. Most mornings we settle on Cheerios and milk, or yogurt, or steel-cut oatmeal. Every so often, though, especially if we have some sort of early appointment/commitment that delays breakfast, we'll go to a local diner we like and eat a more substantial meal -- I like pancakes or the standard egg/potato/toast breakfast; DP usually orders the latter too.

What we COULD have for breakfast if I'd get up early enough: popovers. We both love them, and I'm fairly successful getting them to "pop" properly.

While we're on the topic of hot cereals made with milk, couscous with milk and a little butter is nice for a change of pace sometimes. I also like grits (are they known in England?).

Posted by Hugal (# 2734) on :

Due to my ealy wake up time, 5am, I tend to have a breakfast bar of some kind and a coffe. I cook for a living so can get food at work.
At weekends I have what I fancy.

quote:
Originally posted by ken:
That's because all that is required whne cooking porridge is oats, water, and salt!

The salt is a matter of preference. No way would I be able to eat porridge if it had salt in it. I despise the stuff.

There should also be a choice between water or milk.

If I were to eat porridge I would have oats, milk, and honey (but not sugar).

This thread got to me so we had "breakfast" for dinner last night. One dozen fried eggs for the three of us, [Hot and Hormonal] a huge stack of wheat toast and a full skillet's worth of home fries ( 3 diced potatoes and a large onion fried in butter until crispy).

Then it dawned on me that there's been no potatoes mentioned. No hash browns? No home fries? Is that just a Yank thing like grits?

Posted by Zappa (# 8433) on :

quote:
Originally posted by WhateverTheySay:
I despise the stuff [salt]

So did I. After 25 years of eschewing the stuff like poison I now have thyroid dysfunctionality. That's not a biggie, but it will serve me right for listening - once only - to pendulum wobbling chook consulting entrail juggling naturopaths.

[ 24. June 2012, 01:46: Message edited by: Zappa ]

Posted by Silver Faux (# 8783) on :

Massive cup of black coffee without sugar, and a whack of home-made fruit salad.
Means a weekly routine chopping up pineapple, strawberries, raspberries, grapes, and mixing in blueberries and blackberries when available, and storing that in the fridge, then eating with a bit of yogourt after a 45-minute brisk walk along the beach and back each morning.
Occasionally, smearing peanut butter on a banana and eating it.
I like toast and waffles with peanut butter and jam, but that makes me look like a walking bale of hay, so I don't eat that any longer.
Oh, yeah, watermelon and musk mellon or canteloupe in the fruit salad when available, as well.

quote:
We used it for baking and sometimes spread it on bread instead of butter. Well actually when we were kids we waited till our Mum wasn't looking and stuck our fingers in it and sucked them
Ken, that's what I know as condensed milk and it's still used for baking, eg caramel slice. But Janine said half a cup with oats and I just can't imagine that. Evaporated milk is still readily availble and I know some who use it instead of cream. Not me. I definitely don't use skim evaporated milk with coconut essence which is sold down here as a substitute for coconut milk.

I was just surprised to see Janine mention either in regards to oats. I don't even use ordinary milk on oats.

quote:
Originally posted by Zappa:
After 25 years of eschewing the stuff like poison I now have thyroid dysfunctionality.

Sorry to hear that. But that would be from idodine deficiency, no? Iodized salt is a good way to get the necessary iodine into your diet, but there are other ways -- many vegetables are rich in iodine.

My hypothyrodism is due to having had a virus infection of the thyroid gland -- thyroiditis, they called it.

quote:
Then it dawned on me that there's been no potatoes mentioned. No hash browns? No home fries? Is that just a Yank thing like grits?

I mentioned them. I have a thing for potato cakes, fresh off the griddle, dripping with melted butter and sprinkled with a little salt.

I'm not sure that people here make hash browns at home but you can get them in some places if you have breakfast out.

quote:
This thread got to me so we had "breakfast" for dinner last night. One dozen fried eggs for the three of us, [Hot and Hormonal] a huge stack of wheat toast and a full skillet's worth of home fries ( 3 diced potatoes and a large onion fried in butter until crispy).

Yesterday's boiled spuds chopped up or mashed potatoes fried in the bacon fat are magnificent! Potato cakes are good too.

There are those who serve chips with fried breakfasts. Avoid these people of low taste.

btw: does any else detest the prefix 'full' to English/Irish breakfast? One egg, one rasher of bacon and one sausage is not a full anything.

quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
btw: does any else detest the prefix 'full' to English/Irish breakfast? One egg, one rasher of bacon and one sausage is not a full anything.

No, but that's not what I've ever had when I've ordered the "full", wherever I've been. You've been shortchanged. The components on offer are generally egg (fried or scrambled), sausages, bacon, tomatoes; baked beans, potato cakes/hash browns; black pudding, mushrooms; fried bread and/or toast.

Basically they should tell you what they mean by the term and you opt out of the elements you don't want. It tends to be a generous sort of meal that sets you up for the day IME.

Posted by Huia (# 3473) on :

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Zappa:
After 25 years of eschewing the stuff like poison I now have thyroid dysfunctionality.

Sorry to hear that. But that would be from idodine deficiency, no? Iodized salt is a good way to get the necessary iodine into your diet, but there are other ways -- many vegetables are rich in iodine.
My understanding is that NZ soils are lacking in iodine, hence vegetables grown here are probably lower in iodine too than those grown overseas, which is why it is added to table salt.

My breakfast is usually fish with multi-grain toast or whole grain oats with milk and cinnamon (sorry, Ken, but it stops me using sugar) or a couple of eggs.

quote:

I love hash browns. I'll have them on a cooked breakfast for lunch occasionally.

Posted by LutheranChik (# 9826) on :

My partner has very clear ideas of what constitute breakfast vs. lunch/dinner foods, and she refuses to eat the "wrong" food at the wrong meal. This means, for instance, that during her time in Maine she never partook of the common baked-beans-for-breakfast option there -- because for most people in the US baked beans are for dinner, not for breakfast. Pancakes or an omelet for a quick and easy supper? Not a chance.

By contrast, I have no problem eating dinner leftovers for breakfast the next morning. Pizza even. When I was younger I actively disliked many standard breakfast foods, and even now if I'm faced with the choice of, say, cold cereal or a cold chicken leg from the night before, I'm inclined to go with the chicken.

The other morning I horrified DP (not deliberately, I promise) by eating macaroni and cheese for breakfast, while she ate yogurt and toast. I didn't care. My parental training regarding the starving children in Biafra and the wasting of good money by throwing food away is just too strong for me to send a cup of mac-and-cheese to the compost pile.

Posted by Cryptic (# 16917) on :

Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, and I'm a breakfast person [Big Grin]

My breakfast is usually something from the toaster, always with fresh black coffee, no sugar. Like most parents that are trying to get kids off to school, I will tell you that breakfast sitting down in an absolute luxury.

I can't come at fruit in the morning, I always enjoy two of three pieces of fruit at lunchtime, but breakfast fruit just doesn't do it for me. Cereal likewise, it's a desperate morning if I have cereal. Breakfast in a cafe is a rare treat.

The best breakfast is the full one, bacon, sausage, eggs, tomato, mushies. And I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned the the crowning glory of a fry-up... fried bread [Axe murder]

quote:
Originally posted by LutheranChik:
... for most people in the US baked beans are for dinner, not for breakfast...

That's obviously where they started going wrong. [Roll Eyes]

quote:

Pancakes or an omelet for a quick and easy supper? Not a chance.

Those aren't breakfast foods here though. Lunch or a light dinner more likely. Same goes for doughnuts or waffles and so on - not that common at breakfast here. Yogurt and pancakes and fruit salad are much more likely as a lunchtime snack or the second course of an evening meal than they are at breakfast.

Semi-seriously, the only standard breakfast foods in Britain that you almost never eat at other times are porridge, and cereals-with-milk, and perhaps fried bread and the still rather foreign-feeling but now very common croissants.

The most common breakfasts by far are tea (apparently about 60% of Brits have a cup of tea in the morning) and toast and cereal (about 40% each with toast being just in front). The cerals are moslty just breakfast foods but toast is a default snack at pretty much any time; and beans on toast, or fish fingers on toast, or egg on toast, or cheese on toast, or sardines on toast, are rather cliched kids meals at tea-time - and so adults revert to them when wanting something to eat late at night, its comfort food.

The various components of the "full breakfast" - the eggs and bacon and so on - are all eaten at other meals as well though maybe assembled differently. And not that many people in fact eat that stuff for breakfast in Britain - probnably a lot less than one in ten on any given day.

Posted by Anna B (# 1439) on :

quote:
(apparently about 60% of Brits have a cup of tea in the morning)

So few?

Posted by Janine (# 3337) on :

"So: granola bar, hash browns, and root beer. My breakfast." -- My daughter, reporting in.

quote:
Originally posted by Anna B:
quote:

So few?
That's every morning...

quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:

There are those who serve chips with fried breakfasts. Avoid these people of low taste.

Unless of course in a sandwich with butter and salt and tomato ketchup. That's truly sophisticated cuisine!

[ 25. June 2012, 15:08: Message edited by: ken ]

quote:
Originally posted by Cryptic:
The best breakfast is the full one, bacon, sausage, eggs, tomato, mushies. And I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned the the crowning glory of a fry-up... fried bread [Axe murder]

I mentioned it as an option, although it's not one I personally like. The Full Breakfast is popular round here at the weekends - lots of places serve it and they're usually packed out on a Saturday. Tea is still popular but herbal teas are increasingly mainstream.

It's a great thing on a holiday too, especially if they have a buffet bar where they have the extended full range*, plus cereals, fruit salads, yogurts, cream, toast done to your own satisfaction with a choice of jams, freshly brewed coffee, not a tinned tomato or mushroom in sight, and no limit on how much of it you eat.

* too many items to name.

Interesting how tastes change. Kedgeree used to be popular, and I have seen that on a menu at one place I stayed in (along with devilled kidneys), but it really is a rarity now.

quote:
quote:

So few?
But coffee is the first thing in the morning drink, at least for me.

My favorite thing to do while living in England was take the once weekly bus (after I learned to wait for it on the proper side of the road)from the village to Banbury, where Littlewoods served a "pick five for one low price" breakfast.
Brilliant.

Ken: If you have pancakes for the second course what is the first course? For that matter would someone explain to me what the English mean by "course?" All the time I lived there I was confused by restaurant signs saying things like "Five Courses for 20 pounds" or some such.

quote:
For that matter would someone explain to me what the English mean by "course?"

If the food you are eating requires a different plate (and possibly cutlery) to the previous lot*, then it is another course. If a different wine is served, then it's definitely a different course.

Breakfast, of course, divides into -

Aperitif: Fruit juice
Starter: Cereal or porridge or fresh and/ or dried fruit
Main: Bacon, eggs, sausages, haggis, mushrooms, tomatoes, fried bread, fried potatoes, fried potato bread.
Dessert: Toast with marmalade.

*within the same meal.

<mutters> ... and black pudding and potato cakes, then toast with a whole gallery of jams to choose from as well as Marmite. </mutters>

All this talk of breakfast is making me want some!

Ariel, mashed potato cakes and eggs on offer here for supper.

quote:
quote:
quote:

So few?
It does seem that more Brits drink tea at home though. Going by sales and by surveys. Coffee tends to be a more social out-of-doors drink. On average, on the whole, with lots of exceptions.

Thanks, Firenze. I finally understand.

We stayed in a B&B in Holyhead one time and, the next morning, saw cereal and milk (only) on the buffet. Wondering why everyone else was just having tea, we filled clear up on cereal. Then the big hot breakfast of eggs & bacon etc. came out of kitchen. [Waterworks]

Posted by Cryptic (# 16917) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
I mentioned it as an option

Oops - missed that one! Fried bread is good enough to mention twice though... [Big Grin]

Posted by PD (# 12436) on :

I am a disaster area in a morning if I do not eat quite soon after crawling out of bed. The usual drill here is fall out of bed, fall over the dogs, let them out and make a pot of coffee. Two slices of the Missus' breakfast bread, which contains stuff like spelt flour, rye flour, raisins, cinnamon and ground cloves and then I can look at the day with only a moderately jaudiced eye. However, on Mondays (and when on holiday) it is a case of get up late and have a fry up - usually bacon, egg, sausage, mushrooms, tomatoes, and toast. There are variations on this theme when travelling due to the availability of things like haggis, white pudding, kippers, smoked haddock, etc..

At Uni breakfast was usually either leftovers, or bread and honey, or porridge with a pot of tea. Porridge for me has to have salt in it - raisins can be thrown in it, but definitely no sugar. The leftovers thing led to breakfast being pizza and the last can of beer on occasions! Election nights always ended with bacon butties and the hair of the dog. Nowadays I omit the hair of the dog in deference to the missus.

At a recent meeting, the Spikes had won on the litugical arrangement and both Matins and Communion were before breakfast. I was forceably reminded how much I dislike having to be sociable before I have eaten. I was amazed that I did not bite anyone.

As it has been mentioned several times, I have to say that I now have to hope that no-one puts Splenda in anything I eat or drink as I have a nasty reaction to the damn stuff.

PD

[ 29. June 2012, 06:42: Message edited by: PD ]

Posted by Albertus (# 13356) on :

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

So few?
It does seem that more Brits drink tea at home though. Going by sales and by surveys. Coffee tends to be a more social out-of-doors drink. On average, on the whole, with lots of exceptions.
Yes, I think so. Possibly because there are lots of fancy coffee variations which most people don't have the kit to do , whereas even if you're making the very best tea (rather than just a bag in a mug which is what I usually have) it only requires a kettle, pot, and strainer, so you can do it at home.

Posted by leo (# 1458) on :

Fried bread, bacon, eggs and black pudding were my luxury breakfast out of term time.

Post retirement, every day is a luxury day though I vary it sometimes with a Dutch breakfast - hard boiled eggs covered in mayonnaise, cheese, cooked meats, Dutch toast and potato salad.

© Ship of Fools 2016