Thread: Things you don't do .... Board: Oblivion / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=70;t=023711

Posted by Boogie (# 13538) on :

That friends/family think are essential to life.

I never make my bed, I just leave it in a dishevelled heap. I think this is a left-over rebellion from my youth when we were expected to make beds after breakfast, no exceptions!

I don't pluck my eyebrows either - so when my friends are having the 'threading v plucking' conversation I stay out of it.

[Smile]

Posted by Zappa (# 8433) on :

I do neither of the above, though being a bloke explains the latter (and perhaps the former). I don't wash my car. It's hard work getting that dirt on it.

Posted by Marvin the Martian (# 4360) on :

Putting the washing up away. Half the time I just leave it on the draining board, then pick it up from there when I need it next.

Posted by Pigwidgeon (# 10192) on :

I don't have children and have never wanted them.

And I don't watch television.

I'm not sure which of those surprises/distresses people more (at my age, it's probably the t.v. disinterest now).

Posted by Pyx_e (# 57) on :

Serious, I may sometimes look serious but due to a vastly over developed sense of the ridiculous inside I’m tittering. Yes, even then.

Fly Safe, Pyx_e

Posted by Sighthound (# 15185) on :

Own a mobile phone. I have no desire whatever to be contactable 24/7, including when I am walking the hills or sitting on the khazi.

Posted by BessHiggs (# 15176) on :

I don't wear make-up, nor do I fuss over a hair style.

Posted by Aggie (# 4385) on :

I don't dry the dishes or put the washing up away, and like Marvin, I leave it in the dish drainer. What's the point of drying up and putting away the crockery and cutlery when you have to get it all out again for the next meal??

I don't make my bed as soon as I get up, I like to leave it open to air it, but I make it before I go to bed.

I try to avoid doing ironing (boorriingg!!) - by wearing materials that don't crease easily.

I don't go to expensive hair salons and I have never been to a beauty salon,or had a manicure/ facial/ eye-brow threading/ Brazilian wax(ouch! that sounds horrendous!) or Brazilian blow-dry (whatever that is!) in my life.

Posted by Bob Two-Owls (# 9680) on :

I don't have a car or even a driving license. I don't have a television set or a mobile telephone. I don't go to the cinema or eat at restaurants and I don't throw a piece of clothing away, no matter how unfashionable, until it actually becomes unwearable or indecent.

Posted by Heavenly Anarchist (# 13313) on :

Another one who doesn't drive, own a mobile or a TV (though I confess to watching Strictly on I player).

Posted by Stetson (# 9597) on :

I'd say that about 80% of the items so far apply to me as well. No exaggeration. As well...

I don't drink alcohol. Not that I have moral objections or am a recovering alcoholic, I just no longer enjoy the sensation. I WILL bring a bottle of wine or a case of beer to a party, and then drink Coke the whole time.

I do not eat any seafood, except for(on very rare occassions) octopus, which for some reason doesn't taste like the rest.

I don't wear a watch.

Though I live far from my family, and love them dearly, I do not keep any pictures of them in my apartment or workspace. I have a few downloaded images of my city.

Posted by Og, King of Bashan (# 9562) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Zappa:
I do neither of the above, though being a bloke explains the latter (and perhaps the former).

The woman who cuts my hair goes after mine. I am not a particularly hairy man, but for some reason, I could grow old man eyebrows in a matter of months if it weren't for her.

This probably won't be too out of the ordinary around here, but among my friends, it is odd that I don't have a smart phone. I like being able to step away from the internet from time to time.

Posted by leo (# 1458) on :

No car nor driving license.

No dishwasher.

Posted by Bob Two-Owls (# 9680) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Heavenly Anarchist:
(though I confess to watching Strictly on I player).

And you we doing so well up to that point...

[Biased]

Posted by Heavenly Anarchist (# 13313) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Bob Two-Owls:
quote:
Originally posted by Heavenly Anarchist:
(though I confess to watching Strictly on I player).

And you we doing so well up to that point...

[Biased]

[Smile] This is my virtual frivolity.

Posted by Baptist Trainfan (# 15128) on :

I don't do Facebook, Twitter or LinkedIn - which probably confirms me as a Luddite Dinosaur.

I don't go a well-known supermarket chain which I consider to be predatory and destructive of community.

Nor do I eat bread-and-butter pudding, which clearly shows that I am a Civilised Person.

Posted by shamwari (# 15556) on :

I don't do PC for the sake of being PC especialy in PC circles.

Posted by Drifting Star (# 12799) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
I don't go a well-known supermarket chain which I consider to be predatory and destructive of community.

Neither do I. In fact I do quite a lot to fight them - but that's a 'do', not a 'do not', so... I do not intend to let them get away with anything I can prevent them from doing.

Posted by the long ranger (# 17109) on :

I don't go to church. If the parents and in-laws knew, we'd be in huuuuge trouble.

[Frown]

Posted by ken (# 2460) on :

No car or driving licence here either. Cars are so 20th century. [Razz] (Nor dishwasaher, Leo, nor tumble drier - though in winter I could do with one of those if I had the room to put it in) Never knowingly watched that dancing thing either.

But I do carry two mobiles around. And I use blogs and facebook and twitter lots and lots.

My son doesn't have a smart phone or computer of any kind, and he's only 26.

I find myself very proud of him, even though I'm addicted to both.

[Smile]

Posted by balaam (# 4543) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
I don't pluck my eyebrows either - so when my friends are having the 'threading v plucking' conversation I stay out of it.

I'm an expert, having to regularly keep the monobrow from reappearing.

I don't drive though, finding a combination of cycling, public transport and planning cover nearly all transport needs.

quote:
I don't do Facebook, Twitter or LinkedIn - which probably confirms me as a Luddite Dinosaur.

Me neither. And my cell phone is a simple, pay-as-you-go one for emergencies only -- no camera, no internet. It's never turned on, and no one has the number.

Posted by Yangtze (# 4965) on :

I don't drink fizzy drinks (aka sodas)
(don't like them - very occasionally on hot days may have a coke. And oddly like ginger beer with fish'n'chips)

I don't own a car
Never have done, even though I've had a license since I was 18

I don't watch Strictly or X Factor - or indeed really get reality TV - though I do like the Great British Bake Off

I don't play computer games
- never have - except for Pacman and Space Invaders as a child. Just never really seen the appeal.

I don't listen to pop music and have no clue who's in the charts.
(Was so happy once I was in my 20s and didn't have to pretend to be up on all that stuff any more. Don't actively dislike lots of it just don't actively listen to it.)

(Edited so it wasn't just a list!)

[ 24. October 2012, 21:25: Message edited by: Yangtze ]

Posted by Aggie (# 4385) on :

I don't drive and I don't have a driving licence.

I don't watch "Strictly" or any reality/celeb TV - it bores me.

I have never watched TOWIE

I don't eat meat or poultry, or anything derived from them.

quote:

Nor me - but not so much a dinosaur but someone who

a) has better things to do with my time
b) is not insecure enough to want to know how many friends' i have.

I don't go to the cinema - I much prefer to watch films at home where I can take breaks when I want to, control the noise level etc.

My son - a keen film buff - doesn't understand this at all.

Posted by Nenya (# 16427) on :

quote:
I don't go to the cinema - I much prefer to watch films at home where I can take breaks when I want to, control the noise level etc.

I agree. Plus the fact films are usually out on DVD by the time I get round to thinking I might want to go and see them. [Roll Eyes]

I never iron - not because I don't enjoy it but it was one of those things I cut out as unnecessary when my kids were little and have never gone back to. I do lots of smoothing and folding and waiting by the tumble dryer to whip out the shirts and put them on hangers as soon as it's finished. [Biased]

Nen - unable to remember where the iron is kept. [Biased]

[ 25. October 2012, 13:29: Message edited by: Nenya ]

Posted by Stetson (# 9597) on :

quote:
Originally posted by shamwari:
I don't do PC for the sake of being PC especialy in PC circles.

Even though I don't always follow the strictures of so-called political correctness, I am so-called politically correct enough not to use the phrase "politically correct", unless prefaced by a "so-called".

Okay, in plain English. I don't use the phrase "politically correct" because I regard it as derogatory term coined by right-wingers to mock progressives. But I don't use always use the terminology that some progressives think best.

Posted by Lucia (# 15201) on :

Interesting to see how many non-drivers there are here. A reflection of the peculiar demographic of the ship! Amongst Westerners that I know in 'real life' (ie expats where I live and people back home in the UK) I know very few who don't drive.

We are odd here in that we have no TV connection. Most people here have satellite TV with a dish on the roof. We don't have one, nor an aerial for the TV since pretty much everything that we could receive would be either in Arabic or French or Italian. I can just about do TV in French but it's not very relaxing!

Our TV is only used for DVDs and videos (yes we still have a VCR so everyone passes their old tapes to us!). We do however watch British TV on the internet....(there are ways and means to do this even from abroad [Biased] )

Posted by Loquacious beachcomber (# 8783) on :

I don't pay for the Internet; I use wireless and pick up unsecured sites. Sometimes, that means doing without for a few hours, which is good self-discipline. Sometimes it means going out onto the balcony and picking up the signal from a nearby coffee shop, but that it not ideal when it is too cold or too sunny or too dark!

Posted by Scarlet (# 1738) on :

I watch nothing on TV that is supposedly popular. Same with books, movies. If everyone likes it, I avoid it like the plague.

I never wear my glasses that are supposed to be for near-sightedness. I'm convinced they make my vision worse (not while I'm wearing them, but permanently, after I take them off).

Posted by Nanny Ogg (# 1176) on :

Another non driver here. Never took a driving test either.

I don't iron bed linen, or towels and I never iron underwear!

I no longer dye my hair and I've never had a perm.

I don't watch or intend to have SKY

Posted by Jonah the Whale (# 1244) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Scarlet:

I never wear my glasses that are supposed to be for near-sightedness.

I hope that makes you another non-driver then.

The thead on telling the time has reminded me of another thing I don't do - wear a watch. Haven't for decades. Not since the 1980s and not regularly before then.

Also I don't often eat sweet food at the end of a meal. I like cakes and sweets and so on but more before than after other food. I must be about the only person I know who has voluntarily given up an offer of ice cream in favour of another helping of cabbage - for no reasons other than pleasure.

I don't iron either, as anyone who'se seen me probably noticed. But does anyone iron underwear? Why? Maybe to kill the eggs of parasitic worms? I can't think of another reason.

quote:
Originally posted by Lucia:
Interesting to see how many non-drivers there are here. A reflection of the peculiar demographic of the ship! Amongst Westerners that I know in 'real life' (ie expats where I live and people back home in the UK) I know very few who don't drive.

And yet, in the UK, only just under half the population have cars and less than 60% drive. So your friends are also a highly selected sample!

(There are just over 37 million licence holders in the UK. And according to the DVLA "There were 34.6 million vehicles licensed for use on the roads in Great Britain on the 30th June 2012. Of these vehicles, 28.7 million were cars." )

Even in car-mad California about one adult in six does not have a driving licence , according to the California DMV there were 31,802,483 registered vehicles in California at 1 January 2012 (lots of them will be second cars and commercial or inudstrial vehicles of course)) and 23,956,498 licensed drivers, for a state population of 37,578,616 . They also issued 2,689,667 ID cards (almost all of them to adults) to people without licences.

quote:
Originally posted by ken:
The thead on telling the time has reminded me of another thing I don't do - wear a watch. Haven't for decades. Not since the 1980s and not regularly before then.

Nor me - I find them uncomfortable, take them off, then lose them.

No need for a watch if you have a mobile.

[Smile]

Posted by busyknitter (# 2501) on :

I don't decorate. ever.
Unfortunately neither does my husband.

And I can testify on oath to ken's tendency to turn down my (totally delicious) baking in favour of another helping of veg. [Roll Eyes]

Posted by Higgs Bosun (# 16582) on :

quote:

[Smile]

If you are doing something which requires you tracking time, it is much much easier to have wrist watch than to get your mobile out of a pocket, wake it out of sleeping and look at it. (In addition, my mobile keeps very bad time, it is often over 2 minutes slow).

[Code fix by kind Heaven Host]

[ 26. October 2012, 01:52: Message edited by: jedijudy ]

Posted by Graven Image (# 8755) on :

No TV here.
Do not wear make up other then lipstick, Can't be bothered and I have gotten to the age where it cakes in the wrinkles.
I do not do anything that requires standing on a ladder.
Basically I am now at the age, If it is not fun I won't do it. No excuses, just say with a smile, Sorry I can't make it, to an evening of watching your vacation videos. No, Sorry I will have to miss the youth group pancake supper fund raiser this year. Here is my $10.00. [Smile]

quote:
Originally posted by Higgs Bosun:
quote:

[Smile]

If you are doing something which requires you tracking time, it is much much easier to have wrist watch than to get your mobile out of a pocket, wake it out of sleeping and look at it. (In addition, my mobile keeps very bad time, it is often over 2 minutes slow).
Agree - and looking at a watch is less conspicuous if you are doing counseling or spiritual direction.

If i were to look at my mobile, it would be obvious to my client or directee. They would think I was bored, which i might be, or it would shut them up.

Usually, I keep an eye on the time and say when there is 5 minutes left. That prompts them to say, often, what they have been wanting to say all along and gives me the option of offering them another thirty minutes.

[Kind Heaven Host does another code fix for someone who has been here almost as long as I have.] [Roll Eyes]

[ 26. October 2012, 01:56: Message edited by: jedijudy ]

Posted by Jengie Jon (# 273) on :

Leo

In such circumstances I would set the alarm in silent mode so the mobile vibrated when time was up. No need to look at all! Actually I would set the next appointment to ring five minutes before the end so I had chance to finish the session without pressure.

Jengie

quote:
Originally posted by Jengie Jon:
Leo

In such circumstances I would set the alarm in silent mode so the mobile vibrated when time was up. No need to look at all! Actually I would set the next appointment to ring five minutes before the end so I had chance to finish the session without pressure.

Jengie

Interesting - might try that. Though I tend to look surreptitiously about half way through the session as well so as to guide the conversation if I think it is dragging.

Maybe one can teach an old dog new tricks but I tend to use my mobile only for texts or emergencies. I have never taken a picture on it not surfed the web, though I do use the alarm as a back up to my proper alarm clock.

I think I am beyond redemption!

Posted by Doublethink (# 1984) on :

What you do, is read the client's watch upside down.

quote:
Originally posted by Nanny Ogg:

Does anyone?

Posted by Lothlorien (# 4927) on :

I don't do Tupperware parties. Ever. Never have.

This is partly a reaction to ex MIL's insistence on the fact that if two identical plastic containers were filled, the Tupperware would hold more. However, it came before I met her.

I loathe silly party games and never play them either.

Yes, I am an introvert basically.

Posted by comet (# 10353) on :

it would be easier, so far, the name the things in this thread I do. good to know I'm in such good company!

my eyebrows are au naturale - both in hair amount and color. (whenever someone has painted them I always think I look like an annoyed wolverine).

I don't do my nails either - except the cut them when they get long.

I don't dye my hair or otherwise do chemical things to it - though I did put black tiger stripes in on a whim a few years ago. didn't look as cool as I thought.

I detest high heels and have worn them so rarely that I look like a newborn giraffe when I try.

I don't own a watch and haven't for years. like, maybe 30.

we occasionally watch videos via netflix, but I'm proud to say that my main living space is a screen-free zone.

I don't listen to commercial radio at all. too many years in the biz - I recognize all the gimmicks and it pisses me off.

I rarely eat anything that has it's origins in a can, a jar, or a box. the exception being coconut milk and coconut oil. kind of hard to get that fresh...

I never really dust. in my defense, it's only dusty here a few months out of the year and I just keep everything open and breezy. I make my bed about 2 times a month, or whenever I change the sheets.

my kids don't have a strict bed time - We go with natural rhythms. I find if you have them on a regular school schedule, they generally fall asleep when they should after a few rough mornings. We do have a "no computer" deadline though, but they can read or quietly play in their rooms until they're ready to sack out.

oh - and I have no curtains. there is no need. the only peekers likely would be Moose and Squirrel™. I have discovered, though, that this really freaks out city visitors. I love gazing outside, both day and night. curtains are a hassle. besides.. the whole dusting thing.

Posted by Gee D (# 13815) on :

quote:
Another non driver here. Never took a driving test either.

I no longer dye my hair and I've never had a perm.

I don't watch or intend to have SKY

Much the same for me, but I have never dyed my hair, if you exclude the once as a 16 yr old when I followed a stupid craze and ajaxed my hair to make it a bright blond. Nor am I one of the very few adults here who don't drive.

[ 26. October 2012, 02:08: Message edited by: Gee D ]

quote:
Originally posted by Lothlorien:

I went to one once, about 25 years ago, and swore never to do that again. If you want to invite me to a party, fine. If you want me to bring a dish or a bottle to share, okey dokey. But if you invite me to a so-called "party" and expect me to buy stuff, I'm busy that day. That's not a party; that's a sales event.
[Mad]

[ 26. October 2012, 02:53: Message edited by: Pigwidgeon ]

quote:
Originally posted by Gee D:
I have never dyed my hair

I do only for Pentecost

Posted by Albertus (# 13356) on :

I don't go to the doctor. This is not a point of principle: I have a GP and if I need to go I will, but it's just that, thankfully,I very rarely need to- I think I've been about twice in 11 years and one of those was for a medical when we were considering adopting.
But this does surprise people, especially here in S Wales where a lot of people seem to think that if you don't see your GP at least every couple of months and manage a hospital stay every year or two, Nye Bevan will rise up from his grave and accuse you of ingratitude.

Posted by The5thMary (# 12953) on :

I don't wear makeup, I have never wanted children, and I don't wear most women's clothing as it's usually frilly or cutesy feminine. I also don't have a feminine hairstyle.

Oh, yeah, I don't drive a car/boat/bus/snowmobile/broom now and I never have.

Posted by Moo (# 107) on :

quote:
Originally posted by comet
my eyebrows are au naturale - both in hair amount and color. (whenever someone has painted them I always think I look like an annoyed wolverine).

I love that image.

Moo

Posted by la vie en rouge (# 10688) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
quote:

Does anyone?
Clearly you have never met my mother [Biased]

(My grandmother used to iron dishcloths [Eek!] )

quote:

I haven't been to an Ann Summers party!

Posted by Angloid (# 159) on :

I don't watch football, or any sport.

Do have (or rather share) a car but never wash it and rarely drive.

Posted by Curiosity killed ... (# 11770) on :

quote:
quote:

Does anyone?
I worked as a housekeeper at one point. I had to iron socks, knickers (to make sure they didn't scratch delicate behinds) and linen sheets. Linen sheets went through the roller iron. Even there, towels weren't ironed.

Posted by balaam (# 4543) on :

quote:
Originally posted by leo:
quote:

[TANGENT]There was a ship meet a few years back in York where the room above the pub we used had recently been used for an Ann Summers party, the brochures from the previous night were still in the room, and were passed round. [Eek!] [/TANGENT]

Posted by Bene Gesserit (# 14718) on :

I don't drive, but I have been to an Ann Summers party.

quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
quote:
quote:

Does anyone?
I worked as a housekeeper at one point. I had to iron socks, knickers (to make sure they didn't scratch delicate behinds) and linen sheets. Linen sheets went through the roller iron. Even there, towels weren't ironed.
Maybe the question shoudl be does anyone voluntarily iron their own underwear?

After all, I bet most of us who don't drive sometimes pay other people to do it for us.

Posted by Sioni Sais (# 5713) on :

quote:
quote:

Like Tupperware, with batteries [Biased]

Posted by Polly Plummer (# 13354) on :

The lady who helped us in Holland after Plummer Minor was born used to iron his nappies.

Posted by Moo (# 107) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Polly Plummer:
The lady who helped us in Holland after Plummer Minor was born used to iron his nappies.

In America I met an Englishwoman whose mother insisted that diapers had to be ironed and folded on a sterile sheet. (I don't know how the sheet was sterilized.)

Moo

Posted by Lamb Chopped (# 5528) on :

quote:
Originally posted by comet:
it would be easier, so far, the name the things in this thread I do. good to know I'm in such good company!

I don't do my nails either - except the cut them when they get long.

I don't dye my hair or otherwise do chemical things to it - though I did put black tiger stripes in on a whim a few years ago. didn't look as cool as I thought.

I detest high heels and have worn them so rarely that I look like a newborn giraffe when I try.

I don't own a watch and haven't for years. like, maybe 30.

we occasionally watch videos via netflix, but I'm proud to say that my main living space is a screen-free zone.

I don't listen to commercial radio at all. too many years in the biz - I recognize all the gimmicks and it pisses me off.

I rarely eat anything that has it's origins in a can, a jar, or a box. the exception being coconut milk and coconut oil. kind of hard to get that fresh...

I never really dust. in my defense, it's only dusty here a few months out of the year and I just keep everything open and breezy. I make my bed about 2 times a month, or whenever I change the sheets.

my kids don't have a strict bed time - We go with natural rhythms. I find if you have them on a regular school schedule, they generally fall asleep when they should after a few rough mornings. We do have a "no computer" deadline though, but they can read or quietly play in their rooms until they're ready to sack out.

oh - and I have no curtains. there is no need. the only peekers likely would be Moose and Squirrel™. I have discovered, though, that this really freaks out city visitors. I love gazing outside, both day and night. curtains are a hassle. besides.. the whole dusting thing.

Comet, are you my twin? I don't do any of these things either, bar the hair dye (because my gray looks like tired pencil lead under the fluorescent light crap).

Posted by jbohn (# 8753) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:
Comet, are you my twin?

Is the world really ready for two Comets? [Eek!] [Big Grin]

[ 26. October 2012, 21:51: Message edited by: jbohn ]

Posted by Zacchaeus (# 14454) on :

quote:
Originally posted by ken:
quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
quote:
quote:

Does anyone?
Maybe the question shoudl be does anyone voluntarily iron their own underwear?

After all, I bet most of us who don't drive sometimes pay other people to do it for us.

I once had a flatmate who ironed everything that she washed. Socks, dishcloths, towels, bras, absolutely everything..

Posted by no prophet (# 15560) on :

I don't eat cilantro (coriander), which tastes like soap, what I imagine poop tasting like from the smell, combined with a piece of tinfoil contacting a tooth filling.

I don't eat yoghurt which has a glairigenous consistency and a nasty twang of tongue biting retch-worthy bile.

(I suspect my personal hell would be a place where I must eat cilantro flavoured yoghurt and listen to country gospel music while shivering.)

Posted by Sioni Sais (# 5713) on :

Along with many of you I don't drive and never have done. You should all be very grateful: there are bad driving genes on my paternal side, as anyone who was ever a passenger with my sainted Aunt T can testify.

Posted by Edgeman (# 12867) on :

-I don't go to movies, I own a TV for three or four shows and watch nothing else

-I also would have no curtains were I not sharing a house. It only ends up that they're open most of the time

-I can't drive and likely never will learn to.

- I don't know how to send a text message, Skype, use an e-reader or an ipad. I don't own a smart phone and don't want one, too complicated for me.

-I haven't listened to the radio since I was 14, and that wasn't voluntary anyway.

Posted by Dennis the Menace (# 11833) on :

I don't do sport of any kind, never have never will. Much to my late father's disgust!!

I certainly don't iron underwear but have been known to iron sheets, love to get into crisp, sheets freshly ironed straight from the line. Must be pure cotton, no polyester mixture.

Don't have children as I have never had sex with a woman!!

I don't ride a motor cycle.

I don't drink fizzy, sweet drinks.

I don't garden on my own initiative, only mow the lawns under 'instruction' from WHMBO.

I don't dye my hair but used to have it permed back in th 80's.

I don't walk/exercise as much as I should.

Posted by ExclamationMark (# 14715) on :

I don't like football
I never use the words "you guys"
I don't like late nights (after 10 pm)
I don't wear jeans or shorts. Ever.

Posted by Doublethink (# 1984) on :

Why don't you wear jeans and shorts ?

Posted by comet (# 10353) on :

quote:
Originally posted by jbohn:
quote:
Comet, are you my twin?

Is the world really ready for two Comets? [Eek!] [Big Grin]
our small, select inner circle of comets will soon take over the world. Don't worry - we'll actually run things correctly. without curtains. or bedtimes.

quote:
Originally posted by ExclamationMark:

I never use the words "you guys"

[Overused]

Posted by Haydee (# 14734) on :

No smart phone and I’m on pay as you go – I do have a camera and some games, but only because a friend gave me the handset when he upgraded.

I don’t wear a watch – mine broke and I never got round to fixing it.

I can easily not go on Facebook for weeks on end. It’s a great way of sharing photos, especially as an ex-pat, but somehow my friends manage to cope without constant updates of what’s on my mind…

I don’t have a dishwasher or tumble dryer. I do have a vacuum cleaner but use it perhaps 1-2 times per year – I just sweep with a broom which is quicker and uses less electricity.

I somehow manage to see my daughters as my own children (and myself as their ‘real’ mother) despite not being related in any way except by love – it’s amazing how many people find that mystifying. Not to mention expecting me to answer the most personal questions from complete strangers. (The best occasion was when a cleaner in some public toilets asked me if they were my daughters. I said yes. She then asked me if their father was black, trying to work out how a white woman could have black children. I told her both their fathers are black. Her eyes nearly burst out of her head, and I had a little snigger to myself…)

I use public transport wherever possible, despite dire predictions of robbery rape and murder from many white South Africans. The worst experience I have had has been of people preaching and ‘healing’ at the top of their voices when I’m trying to read a good book (not The Good Book).

Posted by PeteC (# 10422) on :

quote:
And my cell phone is a simple, pay-as-you-go one for emergencies only -- no camera, no internet. It's never turned on, and no one has the number. [/QB]

Me too almost. I do have a plan, though it is minimal.... and six free numbers I call often (taxi, public transportation, two of my best friends) When I am out of town, I use it to keep in touch with the locals I am visiting. And short text messages, both sent and received. Unless I need to , it is never on.

Posted by que sais-je (# 17185) on :

Never thought I'd have anything original to contribute but don't think anyone else has admitted to this: I don't buy new clothes (except sock/under-pants). In a big city there are so many charity shops and the ones in posh parts of town have good stuff. I could afford new stuff but I like charity shops and I can't cope with the range of choice in 'proper shops'.

Posted by Chorister (# 473) on :

I don't own a mobile phone, dishwasher or microwave, tending towards a phobia of gadgetry of any kind. It's a miracle I know how to use a computer really, although it would be hard to get a job nowadays without some sort of understanding in that field.

And I really, really don't do dinner parties. (We'll go halves on a takeaway if you like.)

Posted by Lamb Chopped (# 5528) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Haydee:
(The best occasion was when a cleaner in some public toilets asked me if they were my daughters. I said yes. She then asked me if their father was black, trying to work out how a white woman could have black children. I told her both their fathers are black. Her eyes nearly burst out of her head, and I had a little snigger to myself…)

You are evil.

I like you.

Sorry to continue the tangent, but a caucasian friend of mine and her husband adopted a baby from Korea. A total stranger in a grocery store asked her if the baby's father was Korean. My friend answered, "As far as I know!"

Posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider (# 76) on :

quote:
Originally posted by balaam:
quote:
quote:

[TANGENT]There was a ship meet a few years back in York where the room above the pub we used had recently been used for an Ann Summers party, the brochures from the previous night were still in the room, and were passed round. [Eek!] [/TANGENT]
Terribly pedestrian, aren't they? You need to go to the website for anything vaguely interesting.

Posted by LutheranChik (# 9826) on :

I don't drive in urban areas -- for my sake and for the sake of the drivers around me.;-) And fortunately for me I don't have to.(DP is an avid driver and former urban-dweller who considers fast-paced city driving an exciting challenge. She in turn isn't always happy driving in the remoter parts of the countryside, which I'm happy to do.)

I only wear makeup under duress.

I don't shop in a recreational way.

I don't play video games.

I don't watch popular network television shows, and am generally pretty ignorant of currently popular celebs.

I don't golf.

I don't play cards. (It's not some prissy scruple; I seem to be cognitively unable to process the rules of most card games, no matter how hard I try to learn.)

I'm fascinated how many, I suspect disproportionately, non-drivers there are on the Ship. Driving is the love of my life - even more than sex (well maybe not ... it normally lasts longer, especially my 3-day-each-way drives to Melbourne). I average 100 kms per day, and that is climbing since being in The Middle of the Top. Though it may have been higher still in Wankydilla days.

I'm not telling you my sexual average. I don't think I could last 36 hours though. Even with coffee breaks. Or even 36 minutes, I fear!

I do not do parties. If possible. I do not will not could not do Reality TV. In fact, the news aside, I barely do TV (though I made an exception last night for Inspector Rex because he's such a cute dog. And Dr Who, but it's stopped again in Oz).

Posted by Haydee (# 14734) on :

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Haydee:
(The best occasion was when a cleaner in some public toilets asked me if they were my daughters. I said yes. She then asked me if their father was black, trying to work out how a white woman could have black children. I told her both their fathers are black. Her eyes nearly burst out of her head, and I had a little snigger to myself…)

You are evil.

I like you.

[Snigger]

Posted by mrs whibley (# 4798) on :

quote:
Originally posted by no prophet:
I don't eat cilantro (coriander), which tastes like soap, what I imagine poop tasting like from the smell, combined with a piece of tinfoil contacting a tooth filling.

My husband describes the taste as 'like earwax'. I'm not sure how he knows...

Myself, I love it!

Posted by Albertus (# 13356) on :

Blokes know these things, believe me.

© Ship of Fools 2016