Thread: AuntieDoris & PaulW in London - 21 September Board: Oblivion / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=70;t=023721

Posted by Auntie Doris (# 9433) on :

So, PaulW and I will be in London for a couple of nights to go to a gig. We don't get over so much these days as we are now living on a small rock in the middle of the English Channel, but we need to see the big city!

So, we were wondering whether anyone would be around for a shipmeet on Friday 21 September.

I am guessing that food and beer somewhere would be a good options. When and where to be decided but I thought it would be helpful to give a reasonable notice!

Auntie Doris x

Posted by Jack the Lass (# 3415) on :

Don't think I'm around then but I'll be in London at the start of September so will start my own thread - hey, Londoners, you don't see any ex-London shippies for ages then they all turn up at once. Just like the Routemasters (bus reference for Spike).

(Actually I'm in London the first half-week of August as well but don't think I'll get the chance to be sociable as it clashes with the Duck Meet and I have lots of other people to catch up with - as well as work, of course).

Posted by Spike (# 36) on :

We're returning from holiday that day, but may be able to make it.

Posted by Curiosity killed ... (# 11770) on :

Possibly - no idea what I'm doing then, so all plans are subject to change.

Posted by Janine (# 3337) on :

Well, did anyone manage to meet? Inquiring minds...

We have a good few months to go before we meet!

Auntie Doris x

Any idea where you want to meet? Pubs in London tend to be packed on Friday evenings.

quote:
Originally posted by Spike:
Any idea where you want to meet? Pubs in London tend to be packed on Friday evenings.

Have got absolutely no idea yet. I thought we could decide nearer the time. I am open to any suggestions though.

Auntie Doris x

Posted by ecumaniac (# 376) on :

[Waterworks] I have tickets for Jesus Christ Superstar that night!

Will you still be in town for brunch on Saturday??

quote:
Originally posted by ecumaniac:
[Waterworks] I have tickets for Jesus Christ Superstar that night!

Will you still be in town for brunch on Saturday??

Not sure yet because we are hoping to meet up The Boys.

Auntie Doris x

Posted by Yangtze (# 4965) on :

Look what I found - a thread about a ship meet hiding away.

I'll be there. Wherever 'there' ends up being.

Posted by Chelley (# 11322) on :

Well, seeing as I usually prove to be hopeless and unreliable when it comes to Shipmeets (official ones anyway [Smile] ) I really shouldn't even say a word... but I'd love to see you!
So here's hoping...

Posted by daisydaisy (# 12167) on :

I've just realised that I should be able to join this London meet [Yipee] because I'm staying there overnight so I can get an early morning train to go Abroad.

Posted by Moth (# 2589) on :

Afraid we're in Norwich that night, as BC gets married on 22nd September. Raise a glass to us!

Oooo Chelley it would be lovely to see you - it has been far too long!

Auntie Doris x

Posted by M. (# 3291) on :

Macarius and I stand ready to do our duty and attend!

M.

Posted by welsh dragon (# 3249) on :

Moth - married???!! Really !! Gosh, that's great! (still thinking of the caterpillars as children)

Now Greenbelt is all over with I am resurrecting this thread.

PaulW and I are still going to be in London and would love to see anyone who would like to be around.

Venue is up for negotiation although possibly around London Bridge if anyone has any bright ideas of nice places to go.

Auntie Doris x

Bumping the thread again. Tins & I are away for a week from tomorrow and probably won't have much access to the Ship. Any ideas for venues yet?

The Ship in Borough? I'm not sure yet if I can play - I'll know how broke I am nearer the time.

quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
The Ship in Borough? I'm not sure yet if I can play - I'll know how broke I am nearer the time.

I was hoping we might do a North of the River fir a change... but then I just realised London Bridge is south as well!

Auntie Doris x

North of the river, near LOondon Bridge is going to be The City. That will be Hell on earth on a Friday evening.

This Ship sounds good. The Barrowboy and Banker (Wetherspoon) next to the Cathedral I'm told is OK and we've had at least one shipmeet at The Old Thameside Inn in the past.

Posted by ken (# 2460) on :

quote:
This Ship sounds good. The Barrowboy and Banker (Wetherspoon) next to the Cathedral I'm told is OK

Though tends to get packed and very noisy.

quote:

and we've had at least one shipmeet at The Old Thameside Inn in the past.

Certainly Thameside but not at all old! A bit plastic.

I prefer the ones in the market myself - the Globe and the Market Porter and the other one whose name I can never remember. Ship is OK. As are a couple of others nearby. My favourite ones are on the other side of Borough High Street - but that might be getting too deep into South East London for those from the posh side of the river!

[ 13. September 2012, 19:04: Message edited by: ken ]

Trouble with the Market Porter is there's nowhere to sit.

quote:
Trouble with the Market Porter is there's nowhere to sit.

We definitely need somewhere to sit!

I don't massively mind where we meet as long as the food is good and there is decent beer for PaulW!

Auntie Doris x

I seem to remember us getting seats at the Ship before so that could be good.

I would suggest near Liverpool St for north of the river but I can't think of a pub round there that's not likely to be packed.

Or, I just remembered the Betsy Trotwood north of the river near Farringon (so good for anyone who can use Thameslink to get south after and handy for various other lines too - not too far from Kings X or Chancery Lane).

Good beer & I think food.

I like.....
quote:
Originally posted by Yangtze:
....not too far from Kings X....

Posted by ken (# 2460) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Yangtze:
Or, I just remembered the Betsy Trotwood north of the river near Farringon (so good for anyone who can use Thameslink to get south after and handy for various other lines too - not too far from Kings X or Chancery Lane).

Actually now that the East London Line has been extended north to Dalston and Highbury, thus connecting Islington with civilisation, the pubs round your way are surprisingly accesible by public transport from South London. [Razz]

Its the north west that's hard to get to!

Ken, I did think about suggesting Dalston but I figured it might still be in 'where the hell is that, I'm not going there, too far away' territory for some people.

And also it's full of hipsters these days.

But if anyone's up for coming up this way whether now or in the future then yes, lots of fantastic places to go.

Posted by daisymay (# 1480) on :

And what time will it be that we meet? It's going to be work that day for me and it might be late-ish...

What time do you finish work? I imagine 7-7.30ish would be about right. I have to admit that I am not doing really late nights these days!

Auntie Doris x

Could I propose the following: we'll be in the Betsy Trotwood from after work on Friday - after work being around 6ish onwards.

Otherwise there might be a weird gap for some people to have to fill between finishing work and 7pm and it's not generally possible for Londoners to go home in between.

Those who finish work later to join later.

We'll be there - perhaps not at 6 but sometime soon after.

M.

Perfect. Looking forward to seeing everyone [Smile]

Auntie Doris x

Betsy Trotwood

Posted by Maddie (# 11) on :

Finally managed to get back in after changing computer!

We'll be there and looking forward to it.

I hope to join you there - most likely after 7:30 but will have more of an idea late Fri afternoon.

I'm planning to come in, but I won't be travelling until after 7pm, so won't get there until 8ish.

Well Auntie Doris has only just finished the Battle of Oxford Street so can't imagine they'll be there much before 7.

I'm on my way now (6.15)

Good to see everyone and lovely to see Auntie Doris looking so blooming!

M.

Great to see everyone ... Either again or for the first time. If only I'd been more organised perhaps I could have arranged a quick Paris meet right now....

And you're all in luck, no photos - I decided the light was so awful I wasn't even going to try.

Sorry we didn't make it. Our journey home took longer than expected (ferry running ½ hour late and then appalling traffic back on the mainland) so we got back later than expected and were both knackered. Glad you all had a good time.

Posted by Deputy Verger (# 15876) on :

Sorry too. Wrong side of river, Friday night and all that... it was on my list of possibilities but I missed it. Hope it was a good one.

Thanks to all who came out on Friday night - it was lovely to see everyone.

Sorry we had to go so early, my back seems to be suffering somewhat!

Auntie Doris x

© Ship of Fools 2016