Thread: Ebeth's Portland (OR) adventure--meet? Board: Oblivion / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=70;t=023752

Posted by ebeth (# 4474) on :

Would there be an interest in showing me a fantastic pub or coffeehouse in Portland on 20 October? I'd love to see real live upper left coast shippies in person for a meet. Whatcha say?

Posted by mousethief (# 953) on :

Josephine and I should be free, although we can't show you any good eateries in PDX. Spiffy would know, though.

Posted by Carex (# 9643) on :

Possibly so if I don't have to be in Salem that day, or can schedule around it. I would also defer to others in the choice of a location.

(While Wanker's Corners might be amusing to Shipmates across one pond or the other, it probably isn't the most amenable spot for a shipmeet.)

[fixed link - WW]

[ 18. September 2012, 03:10: Message edited by: Welease Woderwick ]

Posted by Timothy the Obscure (# 292) on :

October 20 is good for me. Pubs, coffeehouses--we got 'em. What part of Portland will you be staying in?

I am staying with a friend who lives in the city, not the suburbs-- if that helps.

I'm wondering which quadrant (of which there are five--N, NE, SE, SW & NW)--just so I can suggest places that are convenient for you and readily accessible to people coming from afar.

I am told it's the Hollywood District-- near light rail , 42nd street.
Does that help?

Nearby there are a couple of decent pubs: The Moon and Sixpence, which is a pretty good imitation of an English pub (for the USA), and Laurelwood Brewing Company, which is more of a Portlandia experience (good beer brewed on site). The coffeehouses in that area I don't know so well.

Let's try Moon and Sixpence. Time?

Please not too early or too late so people from Seattle can leave at a decent time to drive down, and not get back too late after it's over.

I'm flexible--we probably should let the Seattleites pick the time that works best for them.

Posted by Kelly Alves (# 2522) on :

'K, I wanna plan a trip to Oregon just to go to Wanker's Corners.

quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
'K, I wanna plan a trip to Oregon just to go to Wanker's Corners.

I hear it's more exciting than Boring.

quote:
Originally posted by Timothy the Obscure:
I'm flexible--we probably should let the Seattleites pick the time that works best for them.

How does 1pm sound ?

According to their Yelp entry, Moon and Sixpence doesn't open til 3. Is this a problem?

Let's hit the door at 3 then.

Posted by Welease Woderwick (# 10424) on :

[Visions of a group of Shipmates queued up outside a bar door waiting for it to open and taking surreptitious swigs from bottles in brown paper bags]

Sounds good to me (in both MT's and WW's versions).

Spiffy, Rook, Lady A? You out there?

Posted by Lady A (# 3126) on :

I could come up! Not much else could take the place of a shipmeet - though my granddaughter's first birthday is that week. Would love to come up to Stumptown if there's no party interference. Good to see everyone again.

Spiffy's PM box is full (some people are really popular, I guess).

Posted by Spiffy (# 5267) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Timothy the Obscure:
Spiffy, Rook, Lady A? You out there?

I was moving! I bought a house! I was without Internet for two weeks!

(I have this on my calendar and have cleaned out my PM box. [Smile] )

Yayyyy! Spiffy's coming! In a manner of speaking.

Posted by RooK (# 1852) on :

I would like to join you, but my time is not my own lately. It will be a spontaneous thing, depending on the sleep cycles of a (by then) 2.5-month-old.

Never been to Moon & Sixpence, but I might scout it out.

Ah, I feel your pain (and joy, but...) There is nothing quite like being at the mercy of someone else's sleep cycles (and bowel movements). It's a couple of decades removed from me, but I remember it well. Hope you can get the afternoon off.

I've seen at least one or two other Shipmates with a location of Portland or the PNW: I hope they will feel free to attend as well.

If you're not sure about introducing yourself to a bunch of crazies from the Internet you can stop by for a drink and pretend you don't know us, then decide later whether to join the table or slip out to safety before getting shanghaied...

*bump*

Meet is in one week! [Yipee]

I was just thinking that too! My granddaughter's party is the 27th so I'll be there.

Not exactly in the Hawthorne district, but convenient to I84 for those traveling from some distance.

The map shows the 39th street exit - isn't that the one that has been renamed Cesar Chavez? Exit there heading North, go up to Sandy, turn Right, then left on 42nd and up a block and a half or so.

Anyone else from the Seattle area coming down?

I hope to be there close to starting time.

Hmmm... 42nd and Hawthorne would have been very close to the only Nepalese Buddhist temple outside of Nepal. Always interesting things in Portland.

Since I'll be in Portland anyways, I think a trip to Powell's will be in order - just found a fabulous copy of The Hobbit to buy (hardback with all Tolkien's drawings in it (!) since my original purchased paperback for $1.25 is getting a bit on the ragged side) and a trip to Penzey's (nearly next door) and maybe REI on the way home from the shipmeet. Thanks for getting me up there! According to google maps, Moon and Sixpence is only 10 - 12 minutes from Powell's.

Posted by Josephine (# 3899) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Carex:
Anyone else from the Seattle area coming down?

Mousethief and I will be there.

I am on my way west

See you at the Moon and Sixpence.

At Powell's now... Book- topia

Posted by Josephine (# 3899) on :

We had a lovely time at Moon and Sixpence yesterday! If there was such a pub in our little town, I'd spend far too much time and money there, I'm sure.

It was wonderful to finally meet ebeth in person, and to see other shippies again. The conversation was delightful, the food was delicious, and the group of regulars with guitars, melodicas, accordian, acoustic base, and so on, was fun to hear.

I'm sure pictures will be posted later on.

I agree! Well worth the jaunt up to meet again and laugh and share and raise a glass!

A fine time was had by all! Here's a shot of the whole gang.

That was a good one. Great to meet Ebeth (come back soon!), and all the rest.

Ship meet was outstanding! Thanks to everyone who came and made me a bigger fan of the left coast shippies!

I went to Holy Rosary yesterday am on Spiff's recommendation. Interesting. After, I accomplished my Totem Pole objective followed by brunch and an art show at the JCC.

I went to The Armory for a Play last night -- excellent.

Today is a bit slower, which is fine, for tomorrow is a waterfall hike in the Columbia River Gorge.

© Ship of Fools 2016