Thread: Strictly speaking Board: Oblivion / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=70;t=024014

Posted by balaam (# 4543) on :

Strictly Come Dancing returns to the BBC next week.

So it's time to dust off the old dancing shoes, put on your see through sequin shirt or skimpiest dress and discuss the campest programme on TV.

Can Brucie still manage another series?

I love it and I'm straight.

Will anyone else be watching?

Posted by Curious (# 93) on :

I can't wait!!!!!

Posted by tessaB (# 8533) on :

Shiny shoes ready and waiting.

Posted by Jigsaw (# 11433) on :

Dunno about Strictly, but Brucie played the Hop Farm Festival this year - his first festival ever, and the first time that Hop Farm, a modern music festival, had ever had anyone like him on. He was a wow! Singing, dancing, hamming it up, gently abusing the audience... he could carry any series singlehanded using just his little finger. I became a fan.

Posted by Dormouse (# 5954) on :

A bit of a problem for Johnny Ball and Aliona though!!! (according to The Sun)

What will they do now?!

Posted by ElaineC (# 12244) on :

It seems like they've found someone.

BBC Story here.

To match Johnny's age better, bring back Ann Widdecombe.

Posted by kaytee (# 3482) on :

I love Strictly. Who are you looking forward to watching?

I was hoping for great things from Louis Smith but thought he looked a bit awkward in the preview show. If he can loosen up he ought to be great.

Sid Owen looked suprisingly good, I think he will be entertaining.

Denise & James could be fun and fiery!

Vicky P should be interesting. As a cyclist she was unorthodox, not being dedicated enough in practice but able to concentrate for two minutes, which is the duration of a cycle sprint. Coincidently it is also the duration of a strictly dance.

Not the best, but able to pull something out of the bag when necessary. Let's see if the dancing follows the way she cycled.

I am not sure if I have a favourite to watch out for - I suppose I root for the older ladies/gents, or the weightily challenged, quite often. So I'm rooting for Fern and Johnny, but not the gal from Emmerdale for no reason except that I've taken against her...!!

It's never quite been the same for me since lovely Ian Waite left (though it was great seeing him dancing with Darcy B) and Anton started getting cocky and above himself. He used to be so nice, but it seems to me that fame and adulation went to his head. He's no longer quite the gentleman he appeared to be...

quote:
and Anton started getting cocky and above himself. He used to be so nice, but it seems to me that fame and adulation went to his head. He's no longer quite the gentleman he appeared to be...

Oh I completely agree! He drives me crazy these days.

It all kicks off at 9 tonight, will anyone be in the café?

Posted by Curiosity killed ... (# 11770) on :

There are people in the Café - not sure if any would be up for discussing Strictly.

Posted by Surfing Madness (# 11087) on :

The dance off is back....which I think makes for a better program, but i could be persuaded either way!

It's a good job no one said they thought Victoria Pendleton would do well. After last night they could be made to look rather silly.

She wasn't great, was she - nerves seemed to get the better of her. I enjoyed everyone, really, but I thought Craig was MUCH cheerier on Saturday than on Friday - and marked more geerously. I think Darcy is a great addition to the judges - Alesha only said things were lovely or not. Darcy actually gives good advice about how to improve...altho I found her constant "yes?" "okay?" at the end of every sentence a tad irritating!

Posted by Schroedinger's cat (# 64) on :

Finally caught up. I am not a great fan, but the Mrs is, and I don't have a problem with it, so I am happy to watch.

Darcy is a good addition - she talks sense, gives useful advice, and doesn't take stick from the other judges, which is good.

They were all struggling this week, with a few exceptions, but that is expected for a first week - not sending anyone home week 1 is a good move. Vicky Pendleton really struggled, but then, you don't need to remember much in cycling, do you? "Pedal. Pedal Harder".

But none of them were embarrassingly bad, which is nice. Even Johnny Ball was OK, and I had expected him to be the joke entrant. I am intrigued by what will happen when he in on ITT, and is being interviewed by his own daughter!

Posted by Curious (# 93) on :

I loved Lisa Riley's dance - the delight on her face, and that unexpected twist at the end made me smile broadly!
No obvious 'joke' contestants. Could be a good series (once Darcy stops saying 'Yah' at the end of every sentence!

Posted by Sir Kevin (# 3492) on :

I can dance a bit, but the Mrs. cannot do polkas and waltzes which are the only dances I know. She can do some dances she learned in a graduate-level course in music, but I cannot. Dunno if I would watch Strictly Come Dancing if we got it here or not...

Posted by Heavenly Anarchist (# 13313) on :

Just caught up on iPlayer. Glad there aren't any 'joke' contestants, though I think I'm going to find Jerry and Anton very annoying! Several good contestants to choose from as well. I'm liking Sid and Ola [Smile] It's a shame Aliona is temporarily out though as she's my favourite dancer.

quote:
Originally posted by Heavenly Anarchist:
I think I'm going to find Jerry and Anton very annoying!

I find anyone and Anton annoying. Good dancer who unfortunately opens his mouth at the end.

Yes, I thinl Anton has become a bit too full of himself in the last couple of series. It used to be about his partner, but now it's All About Me and How Amusingly Sarcastic I Can Be. I've right gone off him. I do miss lovely, lovely Ian Waite. And Matthew Cutler. And Darren. They were my favourites and they've all left!

Double post - but a couple of days between... What did people think of this week?

I was impressed by Lisa again - but I think she suits Latin better than ballroom. Although her feet were indeed twinkle toes and she moved very lightly her bulk did rather get in the way of beautiful lines and so on.

I loved Denise's jive, but I think they were all a bit too hard on Michael's...But what do I know?! Hugal and Gill are the dancers on board - do they have an opinion?

Posted by Tree Bee (# 4033) on :

I enjoyed watching both Denise and Lisa this week, not sure about any of the men yet.
Jerry is amazingly clumpy for someone who moves for a living.

Yes, but how much does she move and how much does she just pose? I think she and Anton are suited to each other - they both appear to love themselves a bit too much!!

Posted by Hugal (# 2734) on :

It is difficult to judge anyone's ballroom (called modern as opposed to Latin) on the VW. Lisa was a bit skippy and was not sure of the routine. She could dance modern very well but doesn't believe she can be elegant. Her weight should not be a problem if she holds her self correctly.
Michael is a different matter. His movement were odd and though yes he moved his hips it was not in a jive way. You cannot achieve the movements he made and dance jive correctly.
I voted for Victoria as she improved the most. Denise is a natural mover and could go far.

Jerry's movement is worse than the judges' desk. And that's wooden.

(Sorry I seem to be channeling Craig.)

Waiting to see who is in the dance off, good to see it back.

Have to agree about Jerry. She walks around the floor and poses. Not dancing really.

Sorry to double post. Lisa's lines would have been better if they had not dressed her in that horrible tent.

I was disappointed with the one who left. I had hoped that they would stay longer. Ah well.

I was sorry to see him go too. I really thought it would be Michael, but the Good Old British Public love a failure, don't they?! Johnny was just that little bit too good (without the comedy element) to be the failure that we love to save.

I was sad to see him going to, I was hopping it would be Jerry. Her and Anton are already really annoying me, the sooner they go the better as far as I'm concerned. Everyone else (no matter) how bad is at least not annoying me!

Posted by Matt Black (# 2210) on :

"Darcy, dahling, rally, rally glad that you've dropped most of your 'yahs', yah, particularly when they're coupled with that Antipodean interrogative inflection, yah? But over this next week you rally rally have to work hard on dropping them completely, 'kay?"

[ 15. October 2012, 14:44: Message edited by: Matt Black ]

[Killing me]

Nice one Mat.
In the dance off Richard seemed to give up. I am sure he thought he was a gonner.I think he should have gone for that reason alone. I understand the judges had to go with content, but still.
Cha Cha Cha should not be camp. It should be strong it is a flirty dance so the man has to be strong and not have more mince than Waitrose meat counter.
Just my opinion.

Posted by kankucho (# 14318) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Hugal:
Have to agree about Jerry. She walks around the floor and poses. Not dancing really.

Welcome to the highly demanding profession of fashion modelling.

Poor Johnny, he looked so upset.
Aliona's missed the whole show!

Posted by shamwari (# 15556) on :

I enjoy the Dancing.

But the spin-off ( It takes two) on weekdays is excruciating. Zoe Ball seems to be high on either ecstasy or LSD and her hyper=ventilation is the ultimate turn-off.

I like ITT because you get all the gossip in between the main shows, and I like to see more of their training. Zoe is nothing compared to what Claudia Winkelman used to be like. I miss Claudia [Waterworks]

Posted by Roseofsharon (# 9657) on :

quote:
Originally posted by kaytee:
I miss Claudia [Waterworks]

So does Mr RoS
[Biased] [Big Grin]

So do I. I don't mind Zoe Ball, but she's a bit too "when I did Strictly..."/ "I know what you mean..."/ "I was never in the Dance-Off"

Claudia was the person who DIDN'T know what it was all about - but who just loved it all. It's nice to see her on Sunday's "Strictly", but it's not enough! When Claudia did ITT I didn't want to miss it; with Zoe it's just a bit tedious sometimes!

Claudia is best when she's allowed to act a little bit barmy. She has the knack of appearing scatterbrained whilst remaining in control. Hard to pull off that. But ITT needs a bit more madness.

As for today's show, I was a little underwhelmed. It could have been because it was the Hollywood theme. It would be better to give the celebrities a few weeks to get used to the competition before they start the gimmicks.

Posted by Sleepwalker (# 15343) on :

Favourite couple for me tonight was Louis and Flavia. She just oozes grace and style. I can tell he's a gymnast as he's very controlled and maybe he needed to be a little less so dancing the Salsa but he was still steamy, loved the splits and they pulled off the lift at the end perfectly. I don't know what Len's problem was as the dance definitely deserved more than a 6. I also thought tonight's leaders were very good as well. Playing Woody and whatshername was a great lead into a foxtrot. I think those two couples could be the ones to beat in this series.

But I have to confess that I watched it primarily to watch Louis. That man definitely has presence on the dancefloor! I'm looking forward to the Halloween theme next week.

The problem with the dance off is that what we get is the worst dances, and these were bad. (Though Richard was equally bad, but we can't have 3 in the dance off). The look of fear on Jerry's face before the dance off was one of those rabbit in the headlights. It didn't auger well for the dance off, which was a comedy of errors.

But then both dances were poor, neither of them deserves to stay. Michael should be thankful Jerry can't remember her steps. In the end the judges got it right.

Huzzah! The Housewife's Choice has left early with his "clever" comments and inane witticisms. Jerry looked as though she couldn't be arsed, whereas at least Michael appeared to be enjoying the experience, and trying to do well.

I feel sorry for Denise, who is really very good, but doesn't quite know how to handle the public - I think the Great British Public are not on her side because she was so patently GOOD from the outset, and TGBP like a "journey". She is going to struggle to get their suympathy I think, because they (or maybe we...) don't quite see that she still needs to work bloody hard!

And while I like Vic P. she does get rather over weepy, emotional and Poor Little Me-ish. I'm still (not really because I can't) voting for Lisa who I think is FAB-YOU-LUSS, Dahling. And I love Robin, who so reminds me of a friend of mine!

Posted by Matt Black (# 2210) on :

"Well, Len, you started well and in a good mood, marking contestants up if anything, cracking jokes and being generally witty, but then it all started to go wrong for you, with you getting more and more grumpy and even marking Louis' excellent performance down. I know what I like and I didn't really like that. You need to work more on your mood swings next week - but you know that, don't you."

Louis and Flavia's dance was an amazing performance and a great recreation of the film with a slow sultriness. I would guess Len was marking on ballroom criteria for salsa and suspect that dance didn't meet those requirements enough to get any more marks. The high marks from the other three judges seem to have been from judging on performance. It was second, it didn't do badly.

Posted by Boogie (# 13538) on :

quote:
Originally posted by shamwari:
I enjoy the Dancing.

But the spin-off ( It takes two) on weekdays is excruciating. Zoe Ball seems to be high on either ecstasy or LSD and her hyper=ventilation is the ultimate turn-off.

I like Zoe - and love looking out for her gorgeous shoes!

[Smile]

When it comes down to it Len is there as the technical judge. He knows ballroom and related dances. With the best will in the world the others are less experienced . They are good in their field and have learned a lot of ballroom both in preparing and judging the show. Len is still the only one who knows the subject well. As Karen Hardy says footwork is the foundation of the dance. Good footwork leads to good body movement.

quote:
Originally posted by balaam:
The problem with the dance off is that what we get is the worst dances, and these were bad. (Though Richard was equally bad, but we can't have 3 in the dance off). The look of fear on Jerry's face before the dance off was one of those rabbit in the headlights. It didn't auger well for the dance off, which was a comedy of errors.

But then both dances were poor, neither of them deserves to stay. Michael should be thankful Jerry can't remember her steps. In the end the judges got it right.

Sorry to double post, but I don't agree about the dance off. In this series so far some of the worst dancers have been in the dance off but in previous years some of give best have. Voting can throw up all kinds of results. That is one of the reasons the judges get to make the final choice.

quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
Louis and Flavia's dance was an amazing performance and a great recreation of the film with a slow sultriness. I would guess Len was marking on ballroom criteria for salsa and suspect that dance didn't meet those requirements enough to get any more marks.

That's where I got confused by Len because it was supposed to be Hollywood night and therefore there were themes involved. Theirs was clearly Dirty Dancing and while Louis could have been a bit more bendy, technically speaking obviously, that wasn't how the dance was done in the film.

I think they were equally bad but I'm very pleased with the result.

The trouble with theme nights is there is a tendency to for get it is a ballroom contest. Accuracy of foot work and dance style are still important. As to the Dirty Dancing routine. The dance style in the film is Mambo. Mambo is only one of the ingredients in the 'sauce' that is Salsa. In an attempt to stick closely to the film Flavia over did the Mambo at the expense of the other styles in Salsa.
Well danced though.
I thought Michael should have gone , but Jerry didn't have long to go anyway

sorry for the lack of capital letters - the cat is sitting on my "shift" key hand!
i missed last night's hallowe'en special, but judging by the comments on the guardian live blog, i may not have missed much! what did you guys think should i be upset or not (sorry, can't get to the question mark either)

certainly there was much vitriol on the comments section of the blog about the stupidly "staged" vts; i must say i find them a bit tedious, and would much rather have a "here's how they did in training - really!" than staged "sketches"
after all, we're not six years old and easily amused!

I was glad to be catching up on i-player and not watching anything but the dances, but the dancing was mostly pretty good. There were a fair few when I failed to concentrate fully mind you.

Guardian blog comments sound about right.

quote:
Originally posted by Hugal:
The trouble with theme nights is there is a tendency to for get it is a ballroom contest.

There's nothing wrong with theme nights, but my comment is the same as last week. There hasn't been enough time for the celebrities to learn the basics before the themed nights started. Later in the series next year please BBC.

I abhor Halloween silliness but really enjoyed last night's Strictly.
Michael Thing was a different dancer this week, so impressive. I enjoyed Denise and Kimberley's routines too.
I hope you've retrieved your hand now Dormouse. [Killing me]

Posted by Earwig (# 12057) on :

I thought the Halloween night was great - lots of silly fun! I loved Anton cropping up as a monster in Vincent and Dani's routine. Michael Vaughan was A-MAZ-ING, he's suddenly come to life.

I was sorry to see Sid and Ola go - I voted for them but thought's they'd leave. Sid just seemed to be enjoying it all so much, even if he wasn't great, and Ola-chops is justso lovely to watch. Even my boyfriend watches when Ola's on screen, although I think the hotpants helped. [Big Grin]

...and the cleavage. If you've got it flaunt it.

That's more like it.

No theme this week, what an improvement.

Posted by Gill H (# 68) on :

Agree re the themed eps. OK, Halloween is when it is, but let that be the first themed one, and then leave it a few weeks before you do another theme.

Suspect Richard may be for the chop this time. Fern wasn't great but Artem's lack of upper body attire will ensure they get votes...

Michael was not as good as the previous week, but still loads better.

Denise's simple, beautiful Viennese waltz was enchanting, but I voted for Dani - the jive really suited her.

I'm glad Richard made it through, as he's good entertainment - and I'm happy to see Erin progress further - but do you think it should have been at the expense of Colin? I never thought he looked very comfortable, as the height difference between him and Krysyna was so big, but I think he is the better dancer. What do those "who know about these things" think?

Posted by Earwig (# 12057) on :

I'm not an expert, just opinionated. [Big Grin] I think the judges often prefer the celebs who are obviously getting into the dance, and really enjoying the experience. Richard seemed very eager to get his dance right the second time, and I think that helped him. I'm sure Colin wanted to stay in, but he always seems very laid back, and I wonder if that hampered him?

Colin stumbled over a few steps in the dance off so that wouldn't have helped him, especially as Richard had managed to sort his out. But definitely a tight match.

Dear BBC

I know you are getting a lot of criticism at the moment, but can we have Claudia doing the after dance interviews every week. Please.

And no Bruce?

Posted by Keren-Happuch (# 9818) on :

Seconded!

Thirded!!

Fourthded!
Claud was so funny last night and there were no embarrassing Brucie moments.
Much better programme. The celebs all pulled out the stops and improved too IMO.

Posted by Gussie (# 12271) on :

I've never been quite sure about Claudia but she was great last night.
What with Craig and his marking though? I though Louis was better than lots of those he gave more marks to.

Posted by Smudgie (# 2716) on :

I only caught a snippet of it on Saturday. What had happened to Brucie?

He was due the week of Smudgie. I'm another one who thought it was better without him.

Posted by busyknitter (# 2501) on :

OK, why did no-one vote for Kimberley?

Posted by shamwari (# 15556) on :

The judges did.

She is safe

I know, but she must have done really badly in the public vote, given how well she had danced earlier.

Perhaps she's not seen as interesting. She seems very nice with Pasha but perhaps they appear slightly dull compared with others. Her position on the board might also be against her.

I was sorry to see Fern go, although once Nimble Kimble was in the dnce-off, Fern's demise was inevitable. Had Michael been in the dance off then I suspect Fern would have made it through.

[ 12. November 2012, 14:05: Message edited by: Dormouse ]

The competition is hotting up. Only the good ones - and Vicky P - left.

Although greatly improved from week one, she's possibly the most improved dancer there, but that's not enough. Victoria is lucky there was no elimination in the first week.

Last in the judges voting again, and deservedly so, how long can the public keep her in? To think that at the beginning of the competition I'd tipped her as one to watch, but that was before I'd witnessed her dancing.

Michael Vaughan has improved out of all recognition too. He's dancing properly now. I reckon he'd be in contention for most improved dancer too - until his next Latin dance.

Louis Smith isn't improving as much or as fast as the others. He's still relying on the things he was using in week one - great lines and suppleness, engagement with the music and emotional expression, not so much.

[ 25. November 2012, 07:25: Message edited by: Curiosity killed ... ]

VP makes me think of bambi: those wobbly, unsure legs.

Posted by Gussie (# 12271) on :

Was it me or was Bruce worse than usual last night? I can never decide if his naffness is deliberate or not. As for the dancing I think it's Victoria's time to go - followed maybe by Louis if he doesn't start improving.
It's all abit dull that Denise VO seems destined to win the thing - which is what I would have assuemd if none of them had danced at all.

That was painful, VP was even worse than last night. You don't do that badly in a dance off and survive she didn't.

As for Brucie, the deliberate naffness ran over into real naffness yesterday. He's still a good performer (they all have poor days) but the week without him was even better than those with.

Its time for Bruce to retire, before he gets any naffer, and we can remember the good performer that he is.

Posted by Keren-Happuch (# 9818) on :

What's happened to Brendan this series? He seems almost likeable! [Paranoid]

quote:
Originally posted by Keren-Happuch:
What's happened to Brendan this series? He seems almost likeable! [Paranoid]

Well, I read that he's married and his wife is about to have a baby. Maybe that's got something to do with his transformation into Mr. Nice Guy.

Starting to ponder who might make it into the final; currently leaning towards Denise, Dani and Nicky.

Just caught up with the last two weeks.

Kylie's number at Wembley cracked me up. Two big blokes in leather shorts holding hands, with Kylie stood in front of them. Best gay wedding ever...!

So glad Lisa is still in. The rhumba didn't suit her but she danced a competent rhumba with plenty of good basic steps, rather than the 'floating around in a pretty dress' nonsense you usually get on Strictly.

Nicky has finally woken up. Loved Karen's 'Josephine Baker' style in the charleston.

Yes, when I saw Kylie's male dancers, my immediate reaction was 'there's someone who knows her target audience'.
I think Denise and Dani will be in the final, with either Louis or Kimberley, though Kimberley's recent appearance in the bottom 2 might mean Louis gets the place instead.

I don't think Louis is improving enough to be a finalist, not a good year for the men, I can't see Michael getting much further, I think Nicky is the best bet for a male finalist, but that isn't saying much.

Shame there is no award for best entertainment. Lisa is walking that.

Nicky is going to have to learn to straighten his legs if he wants to be a finalist. His bent legs worked OK in the Charleston, but it depends on what he's dancing next as to whether it's going to be a problem again.

Two weeks on and his lega are still bent.

Kimberley gets a perfect four tens. Actually I preferred Dani but then the judges are looking from a different angle to the cameras. The standard in very high this year.

Lisa is still fun; I hope she stays to the final as she is the best entertainment on the show. Plus Bruce managed to pull off a joke. A first this season.

Posted by Snags (# 15351) on :

I can't see Lisa making the final, much as she's excellent value.

Chez Snags our predictions (hopes in the first instance) are:

- Nicky out this week (yay! please!)*
- Lisa out next
- Louis not quite making the final unless
they feel they must have a chap
- no idea who'll win between Denise, Dani and Kimberley

*Sorry to any fans, but although he's upped his game on the dancing, he's still an irritating twat, and Karen double with bells on.

quote:
Originally posted by Snags:

Why not? He is a good dancer and seems to have cracked the performance element to his dancing. To do a rhumba/tango fusion is incredibly difficult, especially given that the rhumba is so fluid. For a bloke to dance with the level of grace Louis showed is amazing and his transition to tango was perfect. He keeps getting scored too low for what he is achieving IMO. I'm convinced he didn't get a 10 from Darcey this time because of the fuss made after his performance last week.

In previous series the judges have acknowledged that this comp is so much harder for the male celebs as they have to do all the leading and they don't have the flowing dresses and stunning steps that the women have to show off their abilities. He was third last night - should have been joint second IMO - and first last week.

I think the top three of last night are the real dancers and should be the couples left fighting it out.

I just don't feel any commitment to the dance coming from Louis. He works hard at getting the technique right, but still isn't bringing his face to the party.
Even his Charleston face looked like a mask he was wearing for the occasion, and I didn't see any improvement last night on earlier weeks.
He's animated enough when not dancing, so why not when he's on the floor?

quote:
Originally posted by Roseofsharon:
I just don't feel any commitment to the dance comi
He's animated enough when not dancing, so why not when he's on the floor?

Concentration?

It could also be that he's performing to the judges, they seem to like it, different camera angles and all that (see above). I have not noticed a camera behind the judges, so we don't get to see what they see.

It's a shame Dani is so short, long limbs help to emphasise the lines of the dance. To me she's the best dancer.

quote:

Originally posted by Sleepwalker:

quote:

Originally posted by Snags:

Why not?

I love watching him, and I think he's great, but for me he doesn't quite bring the emotion/characterisation to the same degree as the three best ladies do. Overall I tend to think that Dani, Denise and Kimberley are better/more consistent at the full package than Louis has managed. I actually feel for him, because the other three are basically in performance/character driven careers, whereas all of his professional training will be to keep it stony faced and neutral, so the bloke's got to come from way behind on that side of things.

I'll be sorry to see any of them go once Nicky is out, and the standard does seem to be very high this year.

And I should also point out that I am a complete non-dancer, and a total dance ignoramus. So the above is based on my impressions as a layman across the series, not on any actual technical assessment from a position of knowledge.

I think Louis will make the final. But it must be difficult for him, as said, his gymnastics training has taught him to remain unemotional when performing so he must be finding it difficult. It seems in real life he is relaxed and fun (his imitations were good on ITT) so perhaps what he needs to do is forget that he is performing.

Spoilers for those watching catch up

I'm pleased Denise made the dance off. Not because I want her to go out but so we get to see the dance without the wardrobe malfunction.

Ooh, I must catch up with who is out...

Lots of debate on Digital Spy about who should have been in the dance off [Smile]

Just caught up with the show. A few thoughts:
Louis is hot!
Dani was absolutely wonderful! She looked stunning, it's good they've started dressing her properly and she's obviously lost weight too. my new favourite [Smile]
Lisa was stompy and needs to lift her legs more.

I'm hoping the final 4 will be Dani, Louis, Kimberley and Denise.
Off to watch the Results show.

quote:
Originally posted by Roseofsharon:
I just don't feel any commitment to the dance coming from Louis. He works hard at getting the technique right, but still isn't bringing his face to the party.

Well, I certainly noticed his face on Saturday night! I thought he did tender very well! And he changed his expression and posture when the tango started. I'm not sure what people are expecting. He isn't a girl.

quote:
Even his Charleston face looked like a mask he was wearing for the occasion,
But that is exactly what it was! It was supposed to be exaggerated as he was playing a silent movie mad doctor. He played that very well.

quote:
Originally posted by Heavenly Anarchist:
Just caught up with the show. A few thoughts:
Louis is hot!

Most definitely!!

quote:
I'm hoping the final 4 will be Dani, Louis, Kimberley and Denise.
Same here, simply because they are the best four dancers, and by some distance.

It is annoying me that is it Lisa? The one from Emmerdale? Keeps getting 9s when all she brings is loudness and enthusiasm. Her dancing is verging on the awful. She should have been in the dance off instead of Denise on Sunday.

Lisa's faces and jazz hands are getting to me too. She is now the worse dancer by far.

Lisa is sadly out.

As it is a dance competition it isn't surprising. Not that she was bad, but the others were so good.

But a dance show could not go out at prime time on a weekend if it wasn't also about entertainment. In past years John Sergeant and Ann Widdicombe have provided the entertainment. This year was different, the entertainment was by someone who could dance.

I supposed it is right that the best dancers should be in the final. But I'll miss Lisa, she was so much fun.

As for the winner next week, my head says Kimberley, but my heart says Dani.

The ones who 'entertain' usually go out at this stage so that the final has the best dancers so it is no surprise that she went this week.
I think the competition is open, though Louis obviously has lots of public votes.

[ 16. December 2012, 19:43: Message edited by: Heavenly Anarchist ]

I think it depends on how they do the voting in the final. It should be between Denise and Kimberley, because they are the best two ( although not by a lot ). Kimberley seems to have been improving at just the right time, so may get it.

Of course, if it is based on public vote, this changes things, because Denise is not getting the public vote. It it not clear who of the others is getting the most votes.

The best 4 are in the final. And they are all very good, on a good day.

I believe it will be public vote so Denise doesn't stand a chance despite her obvious talents.
I think Kimberley was the best on Saturday, despite her soft core ( she sometimes seems to relax her middle and go floppy). I don't like the way she pouts though. I did love Dani's Argentine Tango and Louis' Foxtrot was charming.
Louis is rumoured to be topping the votes and he must be doing well as he was bottom 2 on the board but has never been in the dance off. Dani also hasn't been in the dance off. I think it is very open.

[ 17. December 2012, 16:19: Message edited by: Heavenly Anarchist ]

Oops, slightly repetitive of me then, apologies!

Posted by SusanDoris (# 12618) on :

I'm probably mis-remembering, but I thought there were usually only three couples in the final. Can someone remind me what the process will be next Saturday, please?

They decided to change it to 4 a few weeks ago, it was originally advertised as 3 on the website as usual. The rumour mill says this was because they knew Denise wasn't popular and didn't want her to go out despite being one of the best dancers. But who knows why they changed it.

I 'think' they are doing judges' favourites and their own favourites, then show dance. I'm guessing there will be vote offs at each stage but don't really know, I think they usually vote someone off after the first 2 dances when there are only 3 of them, then a public vote between the last 2 after the show dance.

Posted by SusanDoris (# 12618) on :

Heavenly

Thank you. I must say I haven't been as interested this year as I usually am and have not voted. The friend, with whom I confer during and at the end of every Saturday show, and I think that James doesn't have the charisma that Pasha for instance has; but we're both pretty old, so we might be quite wrong!!

A large harrumph from the Snagses and friends (Strictly final being a social occasion).

I like Louis, and he deserved to be in the final, but I have to say I think that both Denise and Kimberley would have been more deserving winners overall.

Good show, though, despite all the inevitable filler.

Posted by SyNoddy (# 17009) on :

View of the family synoddy was that the right person won. On the show dance alone he and Flavia were outstanding but the family think Louis has been on the longest journey, and coupled with his lack of show biz background, they liked his range of dance style displayed tonight.
Second choice was Kimberley with Denise a long, long way back in third.

quote:
Originally posted by SyNoddy:
View of the family synoddy was that the right person won. On the show dance alone he and Flavia were outstanding but the family think Louis has been on the longest journey, and coupled with his lack of show biz background, they liked his range of dance style displayed tonight.
Second choice was Kimberley with Denise a long, long way back in third.

Denise wasn't that bad. The judges votes, only one point between them after three dances, show just how close it was.

Of the four finalists, three had dance training. Kimberley danced as part of Girls Aloud, Denise and Dani had dance training at stage school: Denise went on to perform in Chicago.

So it was three semi-professional dancers against a gymnast. That the gymnast won is amazing, though I'm guessing the shirt off dance helped. But it was always like this.

To have three performances of that quality in the final though is what we should be crowing about, not just the winner. I think we have seen the best series of Strictly ever, I can't see it ever being better than this.

Posted by SyNoddy (# 17009) on :

The judges marks and comments seemed balanced and fair but poor old Denise just didn't get the popular vote on our sofa! Both teenagers in our house 'took a'gin' Denise, seemingly for having stared in a musical AND wanting to win too much. OK so she wasn't alone in either fault, if indeed they can be considered faults, but their dislike was evident from week 1 and they never relented.

"He's going to perform with his shirt off."

Now imagine a similar phrase being used by a male pro-dancer about a female celebrity. The BBC phone lines would melt.

Oh, I agree! And frankly it didn't help his case for me. I voted for Denise because I thought she was the best in each dance. I would have loved Dani to win but she wasn't quite as good as the others.

I think the wrong person won, although any of them were good enough. Of late, Kimberly was the most consistently good. Over the entire series, Denise was the best. But Louis was the most improved, so I can see why people voted for him.

I think it is very significant that on the final leader board, the three couples, over three dances, dropped a total of 5 points. That is the clearest indication of the quality of all the finalists.

I think the girls should have danced with their tops off too - even playing field.

[Big Grin]

quote:
Originally posted by balaam:
"He's going to perform with his shirt off."

Now imagine a similar phrase being used by a male pro-dancer about a female celebrity. The BBC phone lines would melt.

The girls performed in short skirts and midriff exposing outfits almost every week so I don't see what's so contentious about a man dancing with his shirt off. If he'd danced naked then fair enough. Although I'm not sure the phone melt would have been down to complaints! Not from the girls at any rate!

Louis was gorgeous and I don't just mean physically. His dancing was amazing, especially given where he started and how difficult he found it to perform. That showdance was incredible. His strength and grace just had me glued to the screen. But he also danced out Flavia's samba extras extremely well in their first dance and although his charleston wasn't as well finished this time as the first time he danced it, he still pulled off a great performance and it was fun.

To combine three different dances and to dance them all to the standard he did given his lack of dance background made him the best of the final three and very much the worthy winner.

That he was hot was a Christmas bonus!
[Biased]

I agree that out of the final three Louis certainly traveled the longest journey. I remain to be convinced he went far enough to be the best dancer though, and I suspect if it hadn't been a public vote the result would have been different.

However, he was always going to be a popular choice, and I don't begrudge him it. It's just that the objective* bit of me can't help saying to the 'the right guy won' folks things like "Really? You really thought he was the best dancer? Not just the one that had come furthest through starting further behind? Not just the one that you warmed to most personally? Not just the guy you were rooting for?".

All that said, as Balaam said, it was an incredibly strong final, and a very good series throughout. And perversely, if Louis hadn't won, I'd be left feeling very sorry for whichever of Kimberley or Denise also lost out, whereas because he did, I can be consoled that they can both say "Bah, we wuz robbed in a popularity contest!" [Biased]

As for the shirt-off thing, anyone who seriously thinks it's an even comparison to reverse the genders needs to get their overly precious head out of their right-on bottom [Devil]

*OK, as a non-dance person I appreciate that my objective is probably actually quite subjective

I am rather tired of all the 'shirt off' remarks. Another site I frequent has a thread running about SCD, where people often comment live. I usually have to wade through several pages of drooling over Artem's abs before I find a comment on any dancing.

I must be odd.
I don't find the sight of a guy dancing with his shirt off does anything for me - especially if he has been shaved, sprayed and oiled into the bargain.
Having items of clothing torn off mid-dance is equally boring, whether the dancer is male or female. It all seems to be a ploy to distract from the actual dancing

I'm not a fan of muscles so Artem/Robin/Louis/whoever sans shirt does absolutely nothing for me. I would've preferred Denise to win, but it's the spectacle and (hush my mouth) the "journeys" that interest me...which is why the Christmas Strictly doesn't thrill me as much as the series.

Congratultions go to former Strictly judge Arlene Phillips, who hs received a CBE in the New Yer Honours list "for her services to dance and to charity".

And to Louis Smith for his award [Smile]
Oops, forgot Victoria Pendleton too.

[ 29. December 2012, 10:18: Message edited by: Heavenly Anarchist ]

© Ship of Fools 2016