Thread: Name That Baby Board: Oblivion / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=70;t=024072

Posted by Ariel (# 58) on :

There probably isn't anyone this side of Mars who doesn't already know, but just in case, it was announced yesterday that Prince William and his wife Kate are expecting their first child, who will be third in line to the throne when born.

Any suggestions for names?

(And anyone suggesting "Helix Shatterproof, as a great name for a little ruler", will be sent to the Tower - it's been done half a billion times on Twitter, social media, the radio, etc, already.)

So - other than that, fire away. Sensible or frivolous, suggestions for the new royal baby's name?

Posted by Firenze (# 619) on :

If it's a girl, given her place in the queue, and the Bowes-Lyon gene for longevity, it 's possibly not that important to have a name that sounds good with 'Queen' in front of it. Or King, of course.

So Dakota or Nate it is then.

Posted by TomOfTarsus (# 3053) on :

Too easy. If it's a boy, King. If it's a girl, Queen. In the odd chance the little dear ascends to the throne, the announcers could all sound like Max Headroom - "Presenting Her Majesty, Queen Queen!" etc.

And with the low-hanging fruit in my basket, I'll get my coat and head for the door quickly...

Posted by no prophet (# 15560) on :

Ghengis Sinbad Turnip if it's a boy.

Ghengisia Sinbadia Turnipia if it's a girl.

[Yipee]

Just looked at the last posts and saw this read: "Name that baby Tom of Tarsus"...

As alternatives, I'm thinking either Augustus Spongebob Octavian Norbert, or else Alice Bryony Cartimandua Dawn.

Or George. I bet that'll be in there in some shape or form.

Posted by Hedgehog (# 14125) on :

They should stick with the classics: Luke or Leia.

This useful page gives you a choice of baby name based on the baby's future career. It doesn't actually have a button for 'Royalty' - but you could go for Celebrity, in which case we're looking at Antonio or Demi.

I note btw that 'Ariel' makes it into Future Televangelist.

Posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider (# 76) on :

There's little doubt it'll ascend to the throne. Probably have to wait 70 years, but it'll get there.

Posted by PeteC (# 10422) on :

When the baby is born, don't forget that it will be a royal prince(ss) of Cambridge

My bet, then is Prince Adolphus Philip George Charles of Cambridge

For a girl:

Princess Mary Augusta Frances of Cambridge.

Of course, if Brenda pops her clogs before then, the baby will be ... of Cornwall and Cambridge (The Cornwall title is the senior dukedom and is always given to the heir to the throne). Equally if Chuck is king, he might have already created Wills the Prince of Wales, in which case the kid will be ... of Wales.

My brain just exploded. More later.

[ 04. December 2012, 22:19: Message edited by: PeteC ]

Posted by balaam (# 4543) on :

It's time we had some fresh names in the royal line, so Tracey or Wayne.

Posted by nickel (# 8363) on :

Unique if it's a girl, Euphonious if it's boy.

Posted by Cottontail (# 12234) on :

If they have twin girls, they can borrow the two names I've stored up for years in the event of such an ... um ... event.

Adiaphora and Ephemera.

Posted by Mullygrub (# 9113) on :

quote:
PeteC: My brain just exploded.
I'll get the mop.

In other news, what's wrong with Apple or Lourdes or Moon Unit or Peaches, I'd like to know?

Alternatively, and in keeping with the "celebrity" suggestions, how about Willate? Kalliam? Katiam? Wate? Watherine? Cathiam? &c...

[Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee]

Posted by piglet (# 11803) on :

quote:
Originally posted by PeteC:
When the baby is born, don't forget that it will be a royal prince(ss) of Cambridge ...

Are you sure? Weren't William and Harry "Prince William of Wales" and "Prince Henry of Wales" right from the start?

FWIW (not much) I reckon a combination of Victoria, Elizabeth and possibly Diana for a girl and Charles, George, William or Philip if it's a boy.

If they were being imaginative about it and wanted to honour Phil the Greek (and why not?), Philippa has regal precedents, and Queen Philippa might be more comfortable to Brits than King Philip (kings called Philip haven't always been our best chums ...)

According to the Torygraph, the bookies have even given odds (500/1 IIRC) of the poor wee blighter being called Wayne or Chardonnay ... [Eek!]

Posted by Ariston (# 10894) on :

Aethelfrith or Frideswide. I'm sure the BNP would endorse such traditional Anglo-Saxon suggestions.

Posted by Chapelhead (# 21) on :

At present the name most on the Duchess of Cambridge's mind is probably 'Armitage Shanks', which has a pleasant sound to it.

Posted by Enoch (# 14322) on :

Definitely better than Prince Harpic or Princess Wachunda.

piglet dear, Wills and Harry were "of Wales" from the start because Papa was already Prince of Wales.

When Charles was born, back in the mists of time, he was officially Prince Charles of Edinburgh. On February 7th, 1952, he became Prince Charles, Duke of Cornwall and a whole slew of Scottish titles due to his status as the Sovereign's eldest son. A sovereign's children, otherwise are Princes and Princes of nothing.

William was "of Wales" until he married, when he was created Duke of Cambridge. Thus, Prince Lloyd and Princess Ermyntrude of Cambridge.

Posted by Boogie (# 13538) on :

Ethelred.

Posted by Matt Black (# 2210) on :

King/ Queen Chunder IV (play on numerals and intravenous, geddit?). Also sounds vaguely South Asian to the ignorant (ie: most of us) so can pretend it's 'ethnic'.

Posted by Morlader (# 16040) on :

quote:

Ethelred.

I wasn't ready for that [Killing me]

Ralph (as that's what she'll be saying on the porcelain phone)? Hyperemesis if a boy and Gravidia if a girl.

Posted by Chorister (# 473) on :

Some veiled reference should be made to Kate's affliction - eg. Luke (rhymning word) or Jessica (hidden word).

Posted by Jane R (# 331) on :

Boadicea? Arthur? Henry VIII's elder brother was called Arthur...

Posted by Sandemaniac (# 12829) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Morlader:
quote:

Ethelred.

I wasn't ready for that [Killing me]
GROAN!

AG

quote:
Originally posted by Jane R:

Not a good example unfortunately - both Arthur, PoW and Arthur of Brittany came to premature ends. Similarly, John is not good for English or French kings.

Posted by leo (# 1458) on :

Chantelle
Charmaigne
Roxy

quote:
Originally posted by leo:
Chantelle
Charmaigne
Roxy

Yes, but what if it's a girl?

Posted by Marvin the Martian (# 4360) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
There probably isn't anyone this side of Mars who doesn't already know, but just in case, it was announced yesterday that Prince William and his wife Kate are expecting their first child, who will be third in line to the throne when born.

Wow, really? Good for them [Smile]

Posted by moron (# 206) on :

Boy: Billy Bob.

Then Mary Lou for a girl.

Posted by Hedgehog (# 14125) on :

Prince: Edward Cullen
Princess: Isabella Swan

Boy: Harry Potter

Girl: Hermione Granger

Posted by Huntress (# 2595) on :

Ooooh what about Richard? The previous Richard has had the business about ordering the deaths of the 'Princes in the Tower' debunked by some historians and writers* and his body has possibly recently been discovered under that car park in Leicester, so there is current interest.

I think Charlotte would be nice for a girl; Queen Charlotte was the wife of George III and it would also reference Prince Charles.

Of course the Anglo-Saxon monarch list does include Canute, sometimes spelled 'Cnut'. [Roll Eyes]

*See the Richard III Society, also 'Royal Blood' by Bertram Fields and 'The Daughter of Time' by Josephine Tey.

[ 05. December 2012, 15:36: Message edited by: Huntress ]

All Kings Richard met violent deaths no perhaps not so good although I take your point re current interest.

Posted by Sioni Sais (# 5713) on :

Boy: Madoc.
Girl: Myfanwy.

You want Welsh, I'll give you Welsh.

Posted by Heavenly Anarchist (# 13313) on :

Eleanor might be good, it has a royal background and is becoming fashionable again (at least in middle class Cambridge circles). And it is of Greek origin [Smile]
Cambridge name? Gonville Caius.

Posted by Jade Constable (# 17175) on :

Philippa sounds good to me too - presumably Pippa is short for Philippa? Eleanor is also pretty and royal.

Posted by Og, King of Bashan (# 9562) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Jane R:

William's full name is William Arthur Philip Louis. His father's is Charles Philip Arthur George. So I wouldn't be shocked if Arthur was in there somewhere.
quote:
Originally posted by Huntress:
Of course the Anglo-Saxon monarch list does include Canute, sometimes spelled 'Cnut'. [Roll Eyes]

I was going to suggest Harthacnut but you sort of beat me to it.

Or to quote '1066 and all that'; Canute, Halfacanute, Partacanute, Rathacanute and Hardlicanute. Perhaps we should have some Egg-Kings too [Smile]
(This will all be meaningless to anyone not familiar with '1066')

quote:
Originally posted by Matt Black:
Not a good example unfortunately - both Arthur, PoW and Arthur of Brittany came to premature ends. Similarly, John is not good for English or French kings.

They haven't used John since the days of Evil King John, after which it was agreed there would never be another. The Arthurs never become king.

I'd say George, Philip and Charles are all possibles for a boy; Diana, Elizabeth or Victoria for a girl. I'm guessing William will want at least one of his mother's names in there if it's a girl: the other was Frances.

Posted by Amos (# 44) on :

Cambridge names: Radegund and Etheldreda, if she's a girl. Robinson if he's a little lad.

Posted by deano (# 12063) on :

Someone at work said "Ooh, they should call her Regina, because the Queen's middle name is Regina"

Cue odd looks...

"You know, Elizabeth Regina!"

It's actually Elizabeth Regina Destiny Scarlett Lorelei Twyla-Fay. I happen to know.

quote:
Originally posted by Chapelhead:
At present the name most on the Duchess of Cambridge's mind is probably 'Armitage Shanks', which has a pleasant sound to it.

Who is Armitage and what is shanking?

quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
I note btw that 'Ariel' makes it into Future Televangelist.

Lawd bless you, Sister Fizzy.

Posted by Huntress (# 2595) on :

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Chapelhead:

Who is Armitage and what is shanking?
Ariel - I know that you may be ironically asking your question, but also that you may be genuinely asking it, so, if the latter: Armitage Shanks is a well-known (relatively, in the UK) maker of bathroom furniture i.e. toilets. My better half remembers that at his all-boys school it was known as 'Armitage Shanks, the name to *aim* for'.

Posted by Sleepwalker (# 15343) on :

quote:
(And anyone suggesting "Helix Shatterproof, as a great name for a little ruler", will be sent to the Tower - it's been done half a billion times on Twitter, social media, the radio, etc, already.)

Aww ..... How about Legoland then? (That's another one pinched from Twitter)

Posted by Sleepwalker (# 15343) on :

quote:
When the baby is born, don't forget that it will be a royal prince(ss) of Cambridge

Apparently not.

Queenie will have to decide on that.

quote:
Originally posted by Huntress:
Ariel - I know that you may be ironically asking your question, but also that you may be genuinely asking it,

No, I was just teasing. But thank you anyway.

quote:
Originally posted by Sleepwalker:
Aww ..... How about Legoland then? (That's another one pinched from Twitter)

Oh yes - I forgot about that one. To the Tower! [Devil]

Posted by Doublethink (# 1984) on :

Canute would be very appropriate in the era of climate change. Maybe Gaia for a daughter.

(Worth breaking with tradition and not giving them a football team's worth of names too, I think.)

[ 05. December 2012, 20:25: Message edited by: Doublethink ]

quote:
Originally posted by Sleepwalker:
quote:

Apparently not.

Queenie will have to decide on that.

Your point is noted, but also voided by this paragraph of the same letters patent:

quote:
Now Know Ye that We of our especial grace certain knowledge and mere motion do hereby declare our Royal Will and Pleasure that the children of any Sovereign of these Realms and the children of the sons of any such Sovereign and the eldest living son of the eldest son of the Prince of Wales shall have and at all times hold and enjoy the style title or attribute of Royal Highness with their titular dignity of Prince or Princess prefixed to their respective Christian names or with their other titles of honour.
The bolded bit covers the eldest grandson of the Prince of Wales (or presumably when the succession is changed to allow girls) the eldest grandchild of the Prince of Wales, but not any other grandchildren.

But who knows? This situation hasn't arisen since before the Letters Patent of 1917 (1894-1900 for the first 4 children of Prince George, Duke of York.)

Posted by Penny S (# 14768) on :

Harold Oliver David

I doubt

Emma Matilda Mary

Shouldn't think

Posted by Moo (# 107) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink:
(Worth breaking with tradition and not giving them a football team's worth of names too, I think.)

They already show more restraint than they did when George V's eldest son was named Edward Albert Christian George Andrew Patrick David. IIRC Brenda has only three names--Elizabeth Alexandra Mary.

Moo

Posted by Pure Sunshine (# 11904) on :

If the name has to be suitably regal, what about 'Macbeth'? Of course, we'd have to avoid saying it out loud ...

Posted by cygnus (# 3294) on :

For a girl- Destynee Nevaeh Unique Maddisyn

For a boy- Jayden-Haydden-Caden-Braydon

But seriously- I'd like to see Victoria for a girl (Queen Victoria ll has a nice ring to it)

And Richard or James for a boy.(Although I suppose he would be James lll & Vlll?)

James III and VII already exists if you are a Loyal Subject.

God bless the King. I mean the Faith's Defender
God bless - no harm in blessing - the Pretender
But who Pretender is and who the King
God bless us all! That's quite another thing!

You....Jacobite, you!

[ETA - if you lot had your way, we'd have a monarch of German descent and,...er...]

[ 06. December 2012, 08:56: Message edited by: Matt Black ]

Continuing the morning sickness theme - Huey?

Or for a 'Cambridge' name - Fenny?

Posted by leftfieldlover (# 13467) on :

Eleanor Elizabeth Diana Carole
Victoria Elizabeth Diana Carole
Jane Elizabeth Diana Carole

Elizabeth has to be there somewhere and the two grandmothers should be honoured. I've always thought Camilla a beautiful name, but maybe not this time!

I don't do boys names. My daughter's names were chosen well in advance of her birth but we didn't really think about my two sons' names until we were on the way to the hospital.

Agree with your predictions for middle names but not Jane as a first name, that's a usurper's name.

Posted by leo (# 1458) on :

quote:
quote:
Chantelle
Charmaigne
Roxy

Merlin

Perhaps they could go for the oh-so-celebrity thing of naming the child after where it was conceived. So 'Solomon' or 'Honiara' might be possible (and probably better choices than 'Tavanipupu').

Posted by leftfieldlover (# 13467) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Heavenly Anarchist:
Agree with your predictions for middle names but not Jane as a first name, that's a usurper's name.

I was thinking of Jane Seymour!

If they want to push the Wales angle instead of the Cambridge one, I'd go for Non or Nest for a girl and if a boy is born, he can be named Dyfrig.

quote:
quote:
quote:
Chantelle
Charmaigne
Roxy

Merlin
Merlin Cambridge would work. In a preppy sort of way.

Posted by Sioni Sais (# 5713) on :

quote:

Merlin Cambridge sounds like a 1950's motor car.

quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
quote:

Merlin Cambridge sounds like a 1950's motor car.
OK. Maybe they should call her Hillman Minx.

Posted by Gussie (# 12271) on :

I once actually knew someone called Aston Martin - and that is the favourite car of at least one of the grandads....

He must be well acquainted with Ford Prefect [Smile]

[ 06. December 2012, 18:30: Message edited by: Heavenly Anarchist ]

Posted by deano (# 12063) on :

Anyway... have they said whether they're keeping it yet?

Posted by Jonah the Whale (# 1244) on :

If it's a boy I think we should forget Ralph and Huey, go for Earl which is much more aristocratic. Or in the interests of appearing Euro-friendly how about Roy, which is based on the French for king. You could pick a smaller European country to be more exotic. We could go for the Danish for King, which is Kong. That would have quite a nice ring to it.

Huntress:
quote:
Of course the Anglo-Saxon monarch list does include Canute, sometimes spelled 'Cnut'.
I was pretty sure he was Danish.

In that case they should spell it 'Knut.' Like the late polar bear.

Posted by piglet (# 11803) on :

quote:
piglet dear, Wills and Harry were "of Wales" from the start because Papa was already Prince of Wales.

When Charles was born, back in the mists of time, he was officially Prince Charles of Edinburgh. On February 7th, 1952, he became Prince Charles, Duke of Cornwall and a whole slew of Scottish titles due to his status as the Sovereign's eldest son. A sovereign's children, otherwise are Princes and Princes of nothing.

William was "of Wales" until he married, when he was created Duke of Cambridge. Thus, Prince Lloyd and Princess Ermyntrude of Cambridge.

I see what you mean; I was assuming that you couldn't be a Prince/Princess of somewhere that wasn't a Principality (i.e. Cambridge), but I'm prepared to admit that I'm probably wrong.

Posted by comet (# 10353) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Jonah the Whale:
We could go for the Danish for King, which is Kong. That would have quite a nice ring to it.

Please please PLEASE(!) can we name the little nipper Kong? 'cause when he takes to the throne I want to hear all those newsnerds announce "King Kong".

I'm easily entertained.

Alternately, i'd dig "Mufasa". Sounds so badass, you know. That's a king you'd STFU and listen to. Just keep the wildebeasts away.

Posted by Huia (# 3473) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Amos:
If they want to push the Wales angle instead of the Cambridge one, I'd go for Non or Nest for a girl and if a boy is born, he can be named Dyfrig.

Yes, a future King named after a Shipmate = almost as good as King Kong.

Huia [Big Grin]

Posted by Ceannaideach (# 12007) on :

quote:
Originally posted by cygnus:
(Although I suppose he would be James lll & Vlll?)

Ah now Mr Stephen Fry on that ever entertaining show QI has addressed this issue. Ever since folks north of the border took issue with QEII (seeing as her majesty is technically their first Queen Elizabeth) parliament decreed that the numeral of the monarch's name would be which ever was highest from the lists of English and Scottish monarchs.

So if the royal bairn was named Malcolm he would not be Malcolm I, rather Malcolm IV
If Edward then Edward IX etc etc

That's a neat bit of information I will store away in the large part of my brain which holds useless trivia. [Yipee]

Posted by Pigwidgeon (# 10192) on :

Unfortunately, most of us here won't be around to see this baby take the throne -- and to see if he/she uses his/her birth name or takes another. (I've heard that Charles is considering being George VII, if he ever gets the job.

Posted by Morlader (# 16040) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Ceannaideach:
quote:
Originally posted by cygnus:
(Although I suppose he would be James lll & Vlll?)

Ah now Mr Stephen Fry on that ever entertaining show QI has addressed this issue. Ever since folks north of the border took issue with QEII (seeing as her majesty is technically their first Queen Elizabeth) parliament decreed that the numeral of the monarch's name would be which ever was highest from the lists of English and Scottish monarchs.

Assuming the decree applies also to the old kingdoms of Wales and Cornwall, I'd go for Mark, becoming eventually King Mark II. Then people asking "Who was King Mark I?" would get the answer "King Mark of Cornwall", which just might lead to some interestiing discussions.

On a slightly different tack, the only way a female can acquire the title "Duchess of Cornwall" is by marrying the Duke of Cornwall, the eldest son of the sovreign. Unless the Act giving succession to the eldest child of the sovreign covered that tangential point.

[ 08. December 2012, 14:12: Message edited by: Morlader ]

© Ship of Fools 2016