Thread: How did you come to be on The Ship? Board: Oblivion / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=70;t=024073

Posted by Mullygrub (# 9113) on :

Being the time of year for feasting and merrymaking and nostalgia-induced indigestion and what-not, I have recently found myself pondering how it is that I came to be aboard this fine vessel.

I believe I joined SoF via the Mystery Worshiper bizeroonie many moons ago, when I was but a young GLE reading some church magazine or other. I was strangely intrigued by what I read in the MW article, and investigated.

And I've been heading downhill ever since [Big Grin]

Anyway, how did you find us?

Did a friend point you in the direction, saying, "So, I think you're much better suited to this kind of Christian community, dear backsliding friend of mine"?

Did you happen to wander aimlessly aboard after googletronning "Christian" "Humour" "Satire" "Bunny with an axe"?

Was your minister at the time, by some miracle of the Lord, already a Shippie, and recognised your lack and want, pastorally directing you hither?

What's your tale? I'm interested to hear it.

And some inspired musical Shippie might even put our tales to music, or our Ship's bard (whosoever that may be at present) might compose a lilting limmerick for our edification, if we're very good.

Posted by no prophet (# 15560) on :

Someone posted something I thought was a little odd and I wanted to comment. Also, my ISP had dumped newsgroups / Usenet. Needed an out, a place to argue inanely about things I half know with words I half understand with people I don't know. It makes me feel moderately lovely to be partly right some of the time, because I am mostly wrong most other places in my life. I also like boats.

Posted by Hart (# 4991) on :

I'd been reading MW reports for a while (not sure how I first found those). I then decided to sign up to be a MWer and thought I should check out these bulletin board things in case they had any tips for how to write good reports. Still waiting, btw!

Posted by Hedgehog (# 14125) on :

How did I come to the Ship? Three simple words that tend to come up just about this time of year: Gadgets For God. I forget what I was searching for (possibly the Funebri Coffin Calendar), but I ended up linked to the annual Kitschmas list in Gadgets For God--and became hooked on the site. I lurked for a year or so and then came on board.

Posted by W Hyatt (# 14250) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Mullygrub:
Was your minister at the time, by some miracle of the Lord, already a Shippie, and recognised your lack and want, pastorally directing you hither?

Well, not quite. I came across a recording of a talk Freddy gave in which he commented that one of his favorite activities was participating in ship discussions. I knew immediately that I had to join and I have not been disappointed. I've learned a lot of value to me about how other people see things and about how and when to express my own ideas (the latter in no small measure because of a couple of posts that I came to regret later). I hope I can continue to learn as much in the future (preferably without the need for regret [Biased] ).

Posted by mousethief (# 953) on :

It was Gadgets for God. Can't remember where I first saw the link but I found an awful guitar somewhere with scripture verses and stuff written all over it, and had to join the ship to post it on G4G.

Posted by Jonah the Whale (# 1244) on :

A looooong time ago (see my registration date), when I was naive enough to believe in spam and urban myths etc., I signed up for a newsletter which gave the low-down on new, interesting websites. They mentioned the mystery worshipper, which I thought was such a cool idea that I signed up straight away.
I have to confess to not reading more than two or three mystery worshipper reports, but I was very taken by the bulletin boards, and my post count does not in any way represent accurately my reading activity.

quote:
Jonah the Whale:...and my post count does not in any way represent accurately my reading activity.
Careful now, JtW... We don't want any "my post-count is bigger than your post-count" [Biased]

Posted by monkeylizard (# 952) on :

Mousethief has that title anyway. Nobody else comes close. [Smile]

I'm like Jonah. I received a link to one of the Ship's main page features. I can't recall exactly which one at the moment(G4G, MW, Small Fire, Loose Cannons, whatever). I know it wasn't Rev. Gerald Ambulance (who needs to provide some new material, by the way). That would have been way back in 1999 or 2000, predating the free boards. As a poor recent graduate, I didn't join up until after the rebuild making the boards free.

Posted by Welease Woderwick (# 10424) on :

I was bullied into joining by a certain Canadian friend of mine and have not regretted it since and we are still friends.

Posted by jbohn (# 8753) on :

I heard a radio program that mentioned something about the Church of Fools, and decided to check it out. And subsequently landed here. And (mostly) lurked for a long time. Then I started posting more.

Posted by Mechtilde (# 12563) on :

I don't remember how I came across it, but they had me with the GIN thread. I was captivated by this bunch of witty, intelligent and insightful people who were talking about things I cared about (erm, beyond GIN), often at a level well over my head.

Posted by Kelly Alves (# 2522) on :

I followed a link from another satire site. I think it might have been Landover baptist, and the link in question read "These people are definitely troublemakers" or something like that.

I liked the articles and was drawn into the caption contest a couple of times, and one day I saw a link to "community" somewhere on the front page.

There was an argument going in Hell at the time about the use of the word "welsh" as a slur, and the level of intelligence expressed-- even in Hell-- impressed me. So I kept reading. I lurked for a long time, maybe a year.I remember when 9/11 happened, I first called my then-husband and went form that straight to the boards. I spent the day checking the NYC DOT cameras and refreshing the message boards.
And then at some point I signed up, screwed up my cookies, pissed off David by emailing him for help, further pissed him off by mistaking him for Chastmastr (I basically wrote him a fan note aimed at Chast.) and my first post was a gushy, fawning note aimed at "that kind, courteous person named Erin who helped me with my password. What a sweetheart!"

And I think it was Laura who was right behind that post with, "Isn't it nice when they are new and innocent?" [Big Grin]

Posted by Sioni Sais (# 5713) on :

It was an accident of net searching that found the site for me. Things are vague after this time, but I think I entered a term like Christian humour and, believe it or not, the Ship was an early hit. Certainly it was the best of those hits, in 2003 or whatever.

I signed up during the 2004 incarnation oF Tits'n'Testicles. That occasional board has not been repeated.

quote:
Kelly: I liked the articles and was drawn into the caption contest a couple of times, and one day I saw a link to "community" somewhere on the front page.
Oh yes! Me too, now that you remind me! It was definitely the Caption Comp that ensnared me! I must have wandered onto the website via the MW article I mentioned in my OP, thence to the boards... ah, memories...

quote:
Sioni: I signed up during the 2004 incarnation oF Tits'n'Testicles. That occasional board has not been repeated.
Before my time, but somehow I *know* I've missed something special [Big Grin]

Posted by comet (# 10353) on :

My priest got me hooked on G4G and Signs and Blunders. I never even looked at the boards for a couple of years.

Then along came the Laugh Judgement and I had to sign up because they'd missed my favorite faith-based joke.

Those are still some of my most often used jokes. Golden stuff.

Posted by lilBuddha (# 14333) on :

Gadgets for God link. Wandered around and found the boards, dove right in fairly straight away. Hopefully I'll get the hang of it fairly soon.

Posted by Edith (# 16978) on :

I was at Mass one Sunday and our priest mentioned the Mystery Worshipper and asked us what we thought the report on our church would be.

I'm waiting, but it's not turned up yet.

Posted by Amos (# 44) on :

It was 1998, and I was preparing to move cross-pond. I thought it would be good to know what the church was like.

Posted by Chapelhead (# 21) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Amos:
It was 1998, and I was preparing to move cross-pond. I thought it would be good to know what the church was like.

And you still came!

Posted by Boogie (# 13538) on :

Through St Pixels, which was a similar board, but with online services - nightly, if I remember correctly.

St Ps was born out of the Ship, but they veered far too con-evo for me.

My avatar here is my old St Pixels 'face' (you could make your own from a selection of features - which was great fun, I even bought yellow beads to match for meets!)

St Pixels is now a facebook app. They still have services and 'coffee mornings' IIRC.

Posted by Spike (# 36) on :

Way back in the autumn of 2000 I was browsing the Affirming Catholicism website. On their links page, I found a link to this place. I clicked on it and I've been here ever since.

[ 06. December 2012, 08:06: Message edited by: Spike ]

Posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider (# 76) on :

Buggered if I can remember; it was that long ago. About 1998 IIRC.

Posted by Cara (# 16966) on :

As I think I said said in my intro on the Newbies thread, I found the Ship through a rather unusual route. I was searching the web for info on the Catholic Apostolic Church, because an older (now long-dead) relative was a member of it, and my mother and I had become curious about what it all meant. And here I found (in Limbo, I'm so glad you can still find even Limbo-consigned threads via searching) this amazing in-depth discussion all about the Catholic Apostolic Church with comments from people who had the most fascinating and arcane bits of knowledge not only about the CAC but clearly about lots of other things as well, plus wit and wisdom.

Who are these people, I wondered? I want in!

And I'm in, was welcomed, and I love it! Thank you, Shipmates. I am so glad I found the Ship.

BUT. I am spending far too much time here!!! I call myself a writer, but really, does writing limericks in Circus and ponderous "thoughts" in Purg really count??!! I might have to lock myself away from Ship access for certain parts of the day...and I dare not enter the poll about how many times a day one visits the Ship!

Posted by PeteC (# 10422) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
I was bullied into joining by a certain Canadian friend of mine and have not regretted it since and we are still friends.

Someone, somewhere, recommended the site to me (odd, because, AFAIK they never joined here themselves). I took a look, killed myself laughing at Crappy Choruses, and thought Wodders would enjoy it too. We joined two days and a few numbers apart. He, I note, is still whinging about his twisted arm.

All that said, he has double my number of posts.

We're friends? [Paranoid]

[Big Grin]

Posted by Bob Two-Owls (# 9680) on :

I was being bullied at work because of my beliefs by my newly-converted Christian employer and I came here looking for ammunition to throw back at him when he started (you know the kind of stuff about glasses, polycotton and burning oxen). When I found some interesting stuff, some funny stuff and some really downright infuriating stuff I decided to stay. I think I only de-lurked after the end of my contract, when I stopped feeling under fire.

Posted by Chapelhead (# 21) on :

I think I was just wandering around the web and happened to come across the Ship.

Mind you, it probably isn't surprising that I should find the Ship as the internet was much smaller in those days - you could drive from one side to the other in about 20 minutes. Then they started all the building work on the outskirts and now it's just one big sprawl. It's not like the old days - you knew your neighbours and you could leave your home page unlocked if you went out. People looked out for each other then. Now it's all trendy blogs and pavement comment pages. Sometimes I feel like a stranger in my own cyberweb.

Posted by Marvin the Martian (# 4360) on :

My brother was already a member and suggested I have a look. I looked, I liked, the rest is history.

Is your bro still posting, Marvin?

Posted by The Intrepid Mrs S (# 17002) on :

Must have been the MW reports. I still assess all our services at St. Loony & The Jam Doughnut on those terms and sometimes I say to Mr. S as we waddle home 'Glad the Mystery Worshipper wasn't there today!'

But I lurked for - honestly - years before I was forced to post 'You can't hang a man with a wooden leg'. Can't even remember why. And I lurked for so long because I just knew I would spend far too long on here. [Killing me] I was right.

Mrs. S, rich in self-knowledge

(eta - drat I missed my 250th post!)

[ 06. December 2012, 11:32: Message edited by: The Intrepid Mrs S ]

Posted by Earwig (# 12057) on :

I think I cam via MW too - the church I was working at got Mystery Worshipped. I came on to check the report out, read dozens more reports, saw the forums, and I've not done a day's work since. [Big Grin]

That's how I found the boards, but I joined because of Pyx_e. I thought any community that has people like that as a part of it, I want in.

Posted by Ariel (# 58) on :

Gadgets for God, through a small ad in Private Eye. In those days, the boards weren't free, except for one, if I remember correctly, which seemed to deal almost exclusively with the minutiae of Anglican vestments. I lurked for a while, finding it altogether less entertaining than the G4G, being bemused and not particularly interested by most of what I saw, but there were some threads and flashes of humour which kept me just interested enough to hang around.

When the boards went free in 2001 the atmosphere lightened immediately, and I joined up and loved it. There was an energy and freshness about it, and a creativity and sparkle that you tend to find at the start of new projects. That has pretty much settled down now; time passes, people change, develop, maybe move on. We may have lost that initial impetus of creativity and sparkle but there does seem to be more of a sense of community.

Posted by Robert Armin (# 182) on :

Kelly:
quote:
There was an argument going in Hell at the time about the use of the word "welsh" as a slur
I remember that thread! Haven't thought about it for years, but it all comes flooding back now.

Anyway, my way, like so many others, was Gadgets for God. What I can't remember is how I found that. [Confused]

Posted by leo (# 1458) on :

I'd heard about MW reports and decided to do one from Cairo Quakers.

Posted by Marvin the Martian (# 4360) on :

quote:
Is your bro still posting, Marvin?

Not really, no.

quote:
There was an argument going in Hell at the time about the use of the word "welsh" as a slur
I think that might have been Welsh with a C. I vaguely remember someone using the word and getting immediately jumped on by half a dozen others. Though that might have ben a different thread.

Posted by Matt Black (# 2210) on :

Recommend from the wife c2002

quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
quote:
I think that might have been Welsh with a C. I vaguely remember someone using the word and getting immediately jumped on by half a dozen others. Though that might have ben a different thread.
Was that at about the time Erin banned the name of a certain Welsh university town?

Posted by jedijudy (# 333) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
I followed a link from another satire site. I think it might have been Landover baptist, and the link in question read "These people are definitely troublemakers" or something like that.

Very similar to how I found the Ship! I was reading 'The American Organist', and the president at the time, Fred Swann, ranted about a Mystery Worship that was just so unfair, wah, wah, wah, about some church or other. That of course piqued my interest (there are other people like me?) and I checked it out. Like others, I found the boards, lurked for a while, and have been here for over eleven years now.

Oh, and I see one of my co-hosts is about to have post number 18,000! Congrats, Ariel!

[Errant comma. There are probably others. Good thing I can edit here as much as I want.]

[ 06. December 2012, 12:18: Message edited by: jedijudy ]

Posted by Spike (# 36) on :

quote:
In those days, the boards weren't free, except for one, if I remember correctly, which seemed to deal almost exclusively with the minutiae of Anglican vestments.

That would have been the Mystery Worshipper board. Small Fire and E-Pistles were free too.

Posted by Adeodatus (# 4992) on :

So I started reading this thread, thought 'Hmm ... what is my Ship story?' - and only then did I notice I've been here more that 9 years! [Eek!]

Back in summer 2003 there was a spat - or it may have been a kerfuffle - I'm not sure it could have been called a furore - at Manchester Cathedral about a certain American bishop being invited to the Lesbian & Gay Christian Movement's annual meeting. Or rather, not being invited. Or something like that.

Anyway, I saw that someone involved had mentioned online somewhere that there was a discussion about it running on Ship of Fools. So I came, I saw, I posted, I stayed. In fact I'm pretty sure that first post was on a Hell thread, which doesn't often bode well, but did for me.

quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
quote:
quote:
Was that at about the time Erin banned the name of a certain Welsh university town?
No, Erin's banning of 'Cardiff' came earlier, when we had a powerful bunch of Cardiff people on the boards having conversations almost unintelligible to anyone else. IIRC--eta it was Cardiff, and not Swansea wasn't it? Wood would know.

[ 06. December 2012, 12:52: Message edited by: Amos ]

Posted by Tubbs (# 440) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:

Ditto. I can’t remember either, but it was around the same time. And, other than the time they charged for membership, I’ve never left. (Which is scary [Eek!] ).

Tubbs

Posted by Stetson (# 9597) on :

Either on or shortly before my date of joining, I was reading the wikipedia article on "Liberal Christianity", and under their "external links" they had a link to something the wikipedian had called a "liberal Christian website". Which turned out to be the Ship.

Checked it out, liked what I saw, joined up.

Posted by que sais-je (# 17185) on :

Somehow I came across a reference to the 'bearded bishops' discussion. I'm not a Christian but I do have a beard and we barbarians have to stick together. Of course, now the job's gone to a skin-chin I may have to leave.

Posted by Caissa (# 16710) on :

A friend mentioned the ship on another discussion board.

Posted by Chorister (# 473) on :

I followed a link (from a newspaper report) to a report about gold fillings, and another one a few months later to the Mystery Worshipper feature (or was it the other way around??). I guess in those days I was very new to the internet as a whole, still finding my feet, and so was on the Ship as an 'occasional lurker'. But I didn't become a member or post anything until the boards were all free. Being a lurker for a while is a good thing as it gives you the chance to get acquainted with what you are joining before launching in at full pelt - a pity some apprentices don't heed that recommendation today!

Posted by Evensong (# 14696) on :

Googled "Christian discussion boards".

The result held my attention because I had noted it advertised previously in my diocesan magazine.

Posted by Siegfried (# 29) on :

It was around '98 I'd guess--before the big board revamp (the first big board revamp). I was searching the web for articles about why you frequently would see cassette tape strewn along the side of freeways, which took me to the old Urban Myths board.

Posted by pjl (# 16929) on :

I was actually looking for some information on a ship I once sailed on which was quarantined off the coast of Costa Rica.

I saw a draft medical report later which stated that most of the crew acted insane and demented.

Thinking that the Ship of Fools was a reference to that event I opened the page and lurked for a while.

Noticing everybody on here was sane, rational and logical, I signed up.

quote:
No, Erin's banning of 'Cardiff' came earlier, when we had a powerful bunch of Cardiff people on the boards having conversations almost unintelligible to anyone else. IIRC--eta it was Cardiff, and not Swansea wasn't it? Wood would know.

I thought it was Aberystwyth. I don't remember Cardiff being banned, I missed it if it was.

quote:
Originally posted by pjl:

And yet you still have remained after all those people left.

Posted by Firenze (# 619) on :

quote:
I thought it was Aberystwyth. I don't remember Cardiff being banned, I missed it if it was.

Aberystwyth is my recollection too. Which is also why I am on The Ship. We were going to be there for a few days and I thought I was check on the web to see if there were any links to the churches that I'd been to when I was a student there. I found an MW report on one and the rest is history.

I thought it was Aberystwyth, for no reason other than it has eight consecutive vowels (in Inglish; three of them are vowels in Welsh). Erin took against that.

It wouldn't be Newport. There are people who live in Newport unaware that the city (yes, it's a city now) has a university. With a building, prone to losing parts of its roof in high winds, in the city centre.

Posted by balaam (# 4543) on :

quote:
quote:

I remember people speaking of Aberystwyth being banned. But I got here at the tail end of that, brought to the Ship by radio reports of the virtual reality show The Ark.

quote:

When did it finally hit you you'd been had? [Big Grin]

Amos-- the Cardiff thing is history gold.

Posted by Jengie Jon (# 273) on :

Way, way back many centuries ago...

Well not quite but some time either in 1999 or 2000 a friend put a link up on his congregation's website to ship-of-fools and I thought it sounded interesting so followed it. I expect given the history that that was around 1999/2000

I spent a while browsing the webpages and then came across the Small Fires column and as it was a time when I was exploring Alt.worship I read it. Then there was a discussion on Fowlers stages of Faith and Alt.W on the Small fires discussion board and I decided to contribute. I have been around ever since.

My friend, did sign up eventually around the time of the first Church of Fools experiments. No I am not going to out him. He at present does not appear to be around on the boards.

Jengie

eta the link that first brought me here still exists as I have just checked!

[ 06. December 2012, 19:34: Message edited by: Jengie Jon ]

Posted by Curious (# 93) on :

I worked with the Cap'n many years ago when the Ship was paper...... [Eek!]

Posted by BessHiggs (# 15176) on :

I was dabbling in poetry at the time, and was posting and reading semi-regularly on a poetry website. A poster I quite respected on that site mentioned SOF in some context or other and I immediately checked it out. I think one of the first threads I looked at was one in Heaven about beer and I knew I was home. FWIW, I'm not sure the poetry poster, who is also a shippie, ever knew they had made such a contribution to my life...so I'll say thanks now.

Posted by QLib (# 43) on :

I think I saw it mentioned in The Grauniad and popped along for a look. I remember the Wels(c)h debate - maybe it reared its ugly head twice. I still miss the Fiddlebacks.

quote:
Originally posted by Tubbs:
quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:

Ditto. I can’t remember either, but it was around the same time.
We have a Twilight Zone in our history, it would seem [Paranoid]

quote:
I was actually looking for some information on a ship I once sailed on which was quarantined off the coast of Costa Rica.

I saw a draft medical report later which stated that most of the crew acted insane and demented.

Thinking that the Ship of Fools was a reference to that event I opened the page and lurked for a while.

[Yipee] [Killing me] [Yipee] [Yipee] [Killing me] [Killing me]

Posted by Moo (# 107) on :

In the fall of 1999 Simon was visiting America, and he spoke at my church. At that time I didn't have a computer, but when I visited my daughter I was fascinated by all the interesting discussions there were on the internet.

I got my first computer in November, '99 and immediately started reading the ship. I joined in January, 2000.

I remember the Welsh university thread. IIRC, Erin titled the thread, "Hell is not Aberystwyth". There had been many posts by people who detested Aberystwyth.

Karl, IIRC you called yourself Faramir in those days.

quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves
I remember when 9/11 happened, I first called my then-husband and went form that straight to the boards. I spent the day checking the NYC DOT cameras and refreshing the message boards.

I was on the ship all day, listening to the radio at the same time. I was so glad the ship was there. I didn't want to be alone. I was glad to be in a situation where I could be quiet or speak up just as I felt like at the moment.

Moo

[ 06. December 2012, 21:40: Message edited by: Moo ]

Posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider (# 76) on :

I did. It was an age when very few people went by anything like their real names on t'intertoobs.

I'm relieved you're not still Faramir, Karl. I'd probably need to fall in love with you if you were.

quote:
Originally posted by Moo:
I was on the ship all day, listening to the radio at the same time. I was so glad the ship was there. I didn't want to be alone. I was glad to be in a situation where I could be quiet or speak up just as I felt like at the moment.

Moo

(Now I'm gonna cry and stuff.)

I think that was the first moment in which I realized that this was a community I wanted to be a part of-- above and beyond the outpouring of grief and horror and anger and support, the information that kept coming across the boards-- for the next few days-- was sharp and informed and as thorough as it could be under the circumstances. It really seemed like the best place to be to find out what the hell was going on. It was amazing.

And a couple of those threads are still down there in Limbo, for anyone to check out if they want.

[ 06. December 2012, 21:56: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

Happy to be corrected re. the Welch university town. [Big Grin]
There were a lot of people on board Ship from universities in Wales in those days though.
I remember and miss Todd's contributions in what would have been Purgatory before the boards were divided. I'm still in touch with the Fiddlebacks and several other people who have become RL friends.

Posted by Kaplan Corday (# 16119) on :

Through the caption competition (where I post under a different name), which seems to have really died this time.

Why?

Admittedly I am extremely IT ignorant, but I would have thought that it was a very simple matter to put up a new photo every week or fortnight.

What's happening?

Now, now, KC. The Questions Or Comments That Might Derail Other Threads thread is over here [Biased]

Posted by Graven Image (# 8755) on :

I had just gotten my first computer when the church news letter had a one line suggestion that people might enjoy the ship. So I checked it out. It was my first bookmarked site. In fact I had to figure out how to work bookmark and what it was.

Posted by Kaplan Corday (# 16119) on :

quote:
Now, now, KC. The Questions Or Comments That Might Derail Other Threads thread is over here [Biased]

On this issue I need the Questions Or Comments Pertinent To The Future Of Civilization As We Know It thread.

Nobody's stopping you, my friend [Razz]

Posted by Carex (# 9643) on :

I think it was on some technology website that I found a link to the Nativity Play, though that really doesn't make a lot of sense in retrospect. After the play ended I wandered over and found the other boards, and have been reading them ever since.

Posted by Niteowl (# 15841) on :

I was a reader of The Wittenburg Door starting in the 70's up until it's online death and during one of my "wish someone would resurrect it" fits I started Googling Christian satire sites, found the main page of the Ship, then started lurking on the boards. Intelligent debate and witty conversation is extremely rare so I registered and stayed.

quote:
Originally posted by Kaplan Corday:
Through the caption competition (where I post under a different name), which seems to have really died this time.

Why?

Admittedly I am extremely IT ignorant, but I would have thought that it was a very simple matter to put up a new photo every week or fortnight.

What's happening?

I doubt it is an IT issue, most probably a RL contention issue (see "Why is everyone so busy?" in Purgatory).

Posted by Dormouse (# 5954) on :

My non-believing MrD - who is not a Shippie (as far as I am aware!!! [Eek!] ) - directed me here. I think he read about it in the Grauniad and thought it sounded like my cup of tea. It was. It is. I don't post enormously, but I browse at least once a day.

Posted by mrs whibley (# 4798) on :

Memory's a bit hazy, but I think I first came across SoF magazine in print, probably at Greenbelt in the early 1990s. I know this wasn't its heyday, but think there was a one-off or something. Years later mr whibley and I were reminiscing about the magazine, possibly triggered by some news article about Mystery Worship, and I looked it up on the internet to see if it was still going. It took me a while to find the boards, and they weren't free - and anyway we had expensive dial-up so internet time was limited, so I went away for another year or two before I signed up.

Posted by angelfish (# 8884) on :

I don't remember how I found the Ship but must have got here by accident, via a Google search. It was Christmas Eve in the office, amd there was very little to do. I think I had been lurking for a while, but I decided to join and start my posting career in Hell with a challenge about swearing on the boards. I was immediately lampooned for painting a target on my ass (sic) threatened with Erin's crocadillian jaws and accused of being a troll, all of which I entirely expected, but I am pleased to note that the use of language has become more tempered on the boards since... Or maybe I have merely become desensitised to it.

Posted by Gracious rebel (# 3523) on :

quote:
Originally posted by mrs whibley:
Memory's a bit hazy, but I think I first came across SoF magazine in print, probably at Greenbelt in the early 1990s.

I too first encountered the Ship in print form, at Greenbelt, but longer ago than you - as I only ever went to Greenbelt once and that was in 1982. I still have 3 copies of the Ship of Fools magazine from that era.

When I got online at home about 2000, I think I looked up the Ship, to see if it was still around. Read the boards a little on and off for a couple of years (I was a newsgroup junkie at the time) then joined 10 years ago, in order to comment on a post about Thought for the Day on Radio 4. (Can anyone else recall what their first post was about?)

Posted by roybart (# 17357) on :

quote:
Memory's a bit hazy.
Same with me, but that isn't much of an excuse since I discovered Ship of Fools only a few months ago. (I THINK it was via a reference elsewhere to Mystery Worshipper. [Hot and Hormonal] )

After reading much of the "magazine" content, I stumbled on the "Community" link. My first thread -- I don't remember the topic -- included several long posts by a member who sounded uncannily like an 13th century Dominican inquisitor, though one quite familiar with early 21st century sarcasm and irony. His major antagonist that that moment sounded like a Village Atheist/Idiot Savant from one of the more esoteric Monty Python sketches.

This Odd-Couple back-and-forth went on, and on, and on. It was so unlikely, so bizarre, and so strangely appealing, that I moved on to other topics, even those about which I previously had very little interest.

I still don't understand why all of this is so addictive. [Confused]

Posted by piglet (# 11803) on :

I think it may have started quite a while ago when a friend of ours (who is now the Bishop of Cork) was featured in "Born Twice".

Then one of the girls in the choir told us that we'd been Mystery Worshipped (not, as it happened, at a choral service) and the report appeared in the local paper. My Better Half joined, and told me it was rather fun and I ought to join, so I did. The rest, as they say, is hysterics.

[Smile]

Posted by churchgeek (# 5557) on :

I was on an email list from Sojourners, and they linked to the Fruitcake Zone. God bless 'em!

quote:
Originally posted by roybart:
I still don't understand why all of this is so addictive. [Confused]

Four years in and I am still [Confused] about that.

Posted by Photo Geek (# 9757) on :

In about 1998 I followed a link from Anglicans online. I looked around and finding very few pious twits and many interesting conversations I stayed.

Posted by Jack the Lass (# 3415) on :

I was on "Christian Connection" (yes the dating site) at the start of 2002. That summer CC and SoF (and some other site - reJesus perhaps?) were doing a joint seminar at Greenbelt about Christians online, so I saw SoF being mentioned a lot, although I didn't check it out then. Then I saw this guy's profile I liked, he included the SoF forums as one of his favourite websites. I'm now really embarrassed to say that that was the oh-so-shallow reason that got me checking out the site (I never did work out who he was. Probably just as well given that I am now married to another shipmate!). I started off with the caption competition, then after a few weeks stumbled across the forum. I lurked for about a month, then eventually joined, in October '02. I go through phases of avid reading and phases of it doing my head in a bit, but I still check in pretty much daily, after all this time.

Posted by Haydee (# 14734) on :

I was Googling 'smite' to explain it to a Dutch friend... and came up with the Ship's Biblical Curse generator. The rest is history [Roll Eyes]

Posted by Pyx_e (# 57) on :

My egg cracked and I fell out on a keyboard, in my mewling and thrashing I typed the ships URL, ah fate.

Fly Safe, Pyx_e

Posted by Jengie Jon (# 273) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Gracious rebel:
(Can anyone else recall what their first post was about?)

Yes something on Fowlers stages of Faith and Alt.Worship in Small Fires.

Alright I cheated as I have re read it more recently than that.

IIRC Shroedingers Cat also contributed to that talk but I would not like to be quoted on that.

Jengie

[ 08. December 2012, 19:44: Message edited by: Jengie Jon ]

Posted by leo (# 1458) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Pyx_e:
My egg cracked and I fell out on a keyboard, in my mewling and thrashing I typed the ships URL, ah fate.

Fly Safe, Pyx_e

At least you avoided being fried in THIS world.

Posted by LeRoc (# 3216) on :

I was Googling for something vaguely religious, and ended up here. I think my first post was about a Crappy Chorus.

Posted by Rosa Winkel (# 11424) on :

I was wondering what do with after my voluntary serivce in Dachau when I applied for a job at a church in London, whose website included a link to this site.

I didn't get the job (in retrospect, extremely thankfully) but stayed here.

I was born in the Welsh university town, by the way, and it's north of Aberystwyth.

Posted by Chorister (# 473) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Pyx_e:

Fly Safe, Pyx_e

Mork, is that you?

© Ship of Fools 2016