Thread: Her Majesty's Revenue & Customs campaigning against Moslem women? Board: Oblivion / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=70;t=024170

Posted by Chamois (# 16204) on :

I find the latest HMRC campaign against undeclared income disturbing. Why should a campaign about fraud be advertised by pictures of an olive-skinned woman's eyes peering through a small hole in brown paper? Does anyone else find this image disturbingly like a Moslem woman's veil?

Is HMRC trying to frighten us with subliminal cultural fears of the Mongol hordes? Or is there another agenda? If so, what on earth is it?

It seems to me these adverts are going to make people less tolerant towards Moslem women, and because the negative message is subliminal it's all the more insidious.

What do other people think?

Posted by leo (# 1458) on :

I think i agree with you.

Posted by Anglican't (# 15292) on :

I think you're looking too much in to it. The woman looks white to me and doesn't resemble a Moslem at all. (I can see more of her than I can see of the average niqab wearer.)

The woman in the advertisement has green eyes. Don't olive-skinned or Middle-Eastern people tend to have brown eyes?

Posted by wanderingstar (# 10444) on :

Is there anything to suggest the woman is not in fact the investigator, breaking through layers of obfuscation?

Posted by CL (# 16145) on :

The leap of logic involved in the OP's proposition seems to be of the 2+2=71 variety.

Do you often go around looking to be offended?

Posted by Garasu (# 17152) on :

I do see it. But I'm not sure if I see it because it's been suggested to me...

Posted by Honest Ron Bacardi (# 38) on :

The woman in the linked picture looks as though she is intended to represent a tax inspector.

What have the Mongol hordes got to do with this?

Posted by Firenze (# 619) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Chamois:
Does anyone else find this image disturbingly like a Moslem woman's veil?

Nope.

Would it be more/less disturbing if it was male eyes looking through, say, a letterbox?

It's not - and it's not meant to be - a particularly comforting image: it is, after all, saying We SEE you, trying to defraud the state!

But I do think you are bringing your own preconceptions to this - including the rather odd one that a Muslim woman = a Mongol horde.

Posted by ExclamationMark (# 14715) on :

walked past the ad yesterday. I thought it was a tax inspector peering out at me. Even with the postings I can't see it in the way you describe.

If it could be seen like that, I'm as sure as I can be that in this very multi cultural area, the issue would be raised and the poster removed or defaced.

Nothing to see here; move along please.

Posted by ExclamationMark (# 14715) on :

If that's what you see, then could you also claim discrimination against builders and taxi drivers as they were targetted by HMRC in the last round of investigations.

Seems like the only ones to escape are some large corporations who have the ability to make the kind of deals with HMRC that most of us can only dream about.

Posted by Enoch (# 14322) on :

I don't get that impression. As she's obviously wearing make-up, I read her as a tax investigator.

Posted by Ricardus (# 8757) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Garasu:
I do see it. But I'm not sure if I see it because it's been suggested to me...

Same here (to both sentences).

It reminded me rather of this image ... including the green eyes.

quote:
Originally posted by CL:
Do you often go around looking to be offended?

I'm not offended. I'm disturbed. No reason for me to be offended - it doesn't affect me directly since a) I'm not Moslem and b) I've declared all my income anyway, such as it is.

quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
Would it be more/less disturbing if it was male eyes looking through, say, a letterbox?

Equally disturbing I think, but in a different way. Someone peering through a letter box suggests to me an invasion of private space. A person peering through brown paper wrapping suggests that they are trying to conceal themselves for some reason, which might be cultural (as with Moslem women) or might be because they are intending to rob somebody and escape unidentified.

quote:
But I do think you are bringing your own preconceptions to this - including the rather odd one that a Muslim woman = a Mongol horde.

Yes, of course I am bringing my own preconceptions, that's my point. This is iconography - employing an image to convey certain definite messages. The message conveyed by any image depends entirely on the personal and cultural preconceptions of the audience. I don't conceive a Muslim woman as a Mongol horde. My point is that there is a lot of fear of Islam in Western society which probably dates back to the Crusades, and somehow veiled women are seen as particularly threatening.

I'm just puzzled and disturbed by the image and I'm having trouble "decoding" it.

quote:
Originally posted by wanderingstar:
Is there anything to suggest the woman is not in fact the investigator, breaking through layers of obfuscation?

OK, I can sort of see that now you've suggested it. But it doesn't really convey that to me. An investigator "breaking through" should be a much more dynamic image - maybe a fist breaking through the paper, or at least the whole face visible. Not someone peering out of a parcel which has been badly handled by Royal Mail.

Posted by Jane R (# 331) on :

quote:
My point is that there is a lot of fear of Islam in Western society which probably dates back to the Crusades, and somehow veiled women are seen as particularly threatening
I doubt it dates back as far as the Crusades for most people. I know 'crusade' is still a dirty word in the Middle East (for very good reasons) but I suspect about 80% of modern Islamophobia can be dated to 9/11.

Veiled women are threatening to some people for two reasons: (a) you can't see their faces which means they might not be women at all; there could be a terrorist under there for all you know, even if it just looks like Mrs Hussein from the corner shop and (b) they are flouting the unwritten dress code for women, which as the writer of Proverbs could tell you is Wronger Than A Wrong Thing That Is Mistaken. The fact that they are covered from head to foot is irrelevant; if everyone else is walking around in hotpants (which heaven forbid) they are drawing attention to themselves which is Immodest and Unfeminine.

[ 21. November 2012, 09:50: Message edited by: Jane R ]

Posted by daisymay (# 1480) on :

Some of the women have been forced by their husbands to cover themselves with niqabs, and some wear it from their own ideas, and of course there have been some men who stole in a shop wearing niqabs to pretend they were women.

Posted by Felafool (# 270) on :

The eyebrows! It's Fiona Bruce

Posted by Matt Black (# 2210) on :

I don't find anything offensive about it. Disturbing, yes, but then it's meant to be. I think the OP is reading prejudice into it where there is none to be found unless you go looking.

quote:
Originally posted by Felafool:
It's Fiona Bruce

I initially thought the same thing but then thought 'surely HMRC wouldn't inflict her on us?'.

Posted by Sioni Sais (# 5713) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Felafool:
The eyebrows! It's Fiona Bruce

I've never noticed her eyebrows.

Posted by Boogie (# 13538) on :

My best friend is a tax inspector and she looks just like the woman in the photo (scary!).

I never thought of the niqāb until I read the OP - and I still don't agree. The woman in this photo trying to make me feel guilty for hiding my 1000s of millions of £ unpaid taxes by peering through my paperwork.

Posted by moron (# 206) on :

quote:
Is HMRC trying to frighten us with subliminal cultural fears of the Mongol hordes? Or is there another agenda? If so, what on earth is it?

ISTM she looks like a gay taxi driver.

And DO Muslims avoid paying taxes more than non-Muslims?

Co-incidentally, I've just walked by a full-sized version of this poster on an advertising hoarding in a Moslem-dominated part of East London. Looking up at the giant green eyes, I thought the lady looked much more like Fiona Bruce than the niqab-wearers in the street below.

Posted by Jane R (# 331) on :

Boogie said:
quote:
My best friend is a tax inspector and she looks just like the woman in the photo (scary!).
Tax inspectors are meant to be scary...

I'm waiting for the sequel to 'Skyfall', where Bond teams up with a sexy HMRC inspector to track down all the supervillains he hasn't killed yet and make them pay their tax arrears. He could wipe out the National Debt single-handed!

Posted by Honest Ron Bacardi (# 38) on :

Chamois -

Just re-reading this, it seems to me it's only you and perhaps Leo who see it this way. A few others can see what you say though doubt they may have thought of it this way if you hadn't first pointed it out.

So maybe this para. of yours holds the key -
quote:
Yes, of course I am bringing my own preconceptions, that's my point. This is iconography - employing an image to convey certain definite messages. The message conveyed by any image depends entirely on the personal and cultural preconceptions of the audience. I don't conceive a Muslim woman as a Mongol horde. My point is that there is a lot of fear of Islam in Western society which probably dates back to the Crusades, and somehow veiled women are seen as particularly threatening.

I'm just puzzled and disturbed by the image and I'm having trouble "decoding" it.

There are a couple of things I think you may have overlooked or misread. Two of them being -

- It's not brown paper - it's grey card. And quite thick card at that.

- It's been broken through from the other side, not just torn randomly.

And of course as several have pointed out, the person in the ad. is staring at you full-on. The person in the ad. is in control, and that is not a friendly stare you are on the receiving end of. You are clearly supposed to be unsettled.

I'm not sure why you have missed these visual cues - was it perhaps that you had been reading about, personally involved with or thinking about an example of islamophobic behaviour somewhere? And if so did it cause you read these elements in the way you did? Just wondering rather than offering any explanations.

Posted by lilBuddha (# 14333) on :

I do not see what the OP sees unless I strain to do so. ISTM, she is supposed to be peering through your attempts to conceal your taxable income. Reveal, not conceal, opposite of a niqab. Might be a subltle Roschach test though.

Posted by Bob Two-Owls (# 9680) on :

Yes it's a fiendish plot by the HMRC to stop women racking up huge credit card bills on nice dresses by forcing them to wear grey cardboard tubes. Any offence is a sign that you are really a raging tubist...

Posted by ken (# 2460) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Anglican't:
The woman looks white to me...

As are about a hundred million Muslims or more.

quote:

and doesn't resemble a Moslem at all. (

"Resemble"? What does a Muslim "resemble"?

That said the idea in the OP is absurd.

BTW, a quick skip through Mongol history indicates that they were not, by and large, Muslim. They fought everybody (and usually won). But once they had established an empire, they seem to have been unusually tolerant, for the times, of the faiths of their subjects.

quote:
Originally posted by ken:
quote:
The woman looks white to me...

As are about a hundred million Muslims or more.
That's as maybe. But in the United Kingdom (with which this advert - and presumably by extension this discussion - is concerned) the vast majority of Moslems are not white.

quote:

and doesn't resemble a Moslem at all.
quote:
Resemble"? What does a Muslim "resemble"?

I think it's fair to say that in the UK, the vast majority of Moslems* come from the Middle East and the Indian sub-continent. My point was that the lady in the photograph doesn't resemble someone of that background.

*I accept that there are white Moslems, black Africans Moslems, etc. in the UK but these aren't so prevalent and do not conform to the 'Mongol horde' stereotype to which the OP refers.

quote:
BTW, a quick skip through Mongol history indicates that they were not, by and large, Muslim. They fought everybody (and usually won). But once they had established an empire, they seem to have been unusually tolerant, for the times, of the faiths of their subjects.

Mostly pagans to start with, with a significant minority of Christians. Later on they became almost entirely Buddhist in their homeland and the territories they'd conquered in the East, (as they are still) and mostly Muslim in the West. where their population was pretty much absorbed by Turkish-speaking peoples and lived on in name only.

[ 21. November 2012, 15:29: Message edited by: ken ]

Posted by angelfish (# 8884) on :

HMRC are usually very careful to include all ethnic groups in the photos on their website. One day you log on and there's a smart African man holding a pencil thoughtfully to his chin as he works out his tax calculation, the next day there's an Asian lady on the phone arranging her child support direct debit payments, occasionally a white person is depicted, because apparently the are some of those paying UK tax too. I am sure that any attempt to depict tax evaders, inspectors and any other person HMRC wants to portray will be covered by the same ethno-inclusive policy.

quote:
Originally posted by angelfish:
I am sure that any attempt to depict tax evaders, inspectors and any other person HMRC wants to portray will be covered by the same ethno-inclusive policy.

I'm sure someone (or possibly a whole team) is employed for this very purpose.

Posted by moron (# 206) on :

Please pardon the tangent.

quote:
I find the latest HMRC campaign against undeclared income disturbing.

quote:
Our new technology and extra staff make it easier for us to find you – no matter who you are.
How many people do you suppose are sitting around waiting for people to click on the various links on that page? What do they do when you do?

What can they do? [Paranoid]

Posted by leo (# 1458) on :

I saw the full-sized advert 'in the flesh' for ther first time last night. I don't think the woman looks Asian.

Posted by Erroneous Monk (# 10858) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:

Maybe it *is* her, and, like Howard from the Halifax, she will achieve a degree of celebrity [Smile]

quote:
Originally posted by Erroneous Monk:

quote:

Maybe it *is* her, and, like Howard from the Halifax, she will achieve a degree of celebrity
Well, that would at least be a good outcome of the campaign!

quote:
quote:

quote:

Maybe it *is* her, and, like Howard from the Halifax, she will achieve a degree of celebrity
I'm not so sure. I've heard that the relationship between Howard and the Halifax didn't end well.

Posted by Erroneous Monk (# 10858) on :

quote:
quote:
quote:

quote:

I'm not so sure. I've heard that the relationship between Howard and the Halifax didn't end well.
Betcha he's still turning some Christmas lights on...somewhere....

Posted by Mudfrog (# 8116) on :

In a veil the eyes are allowed to peer through a deliberately placed opening. In the picture the hole is forcibly made in a covering that should be intact. It has nothing to do with a muslim veil. It's a hole ripped into a paper wrapping.

Tut.

There is too much of this willingness to be offended.
Am I alone in recognising that church goers are always too easily offended about stuff?

According to my Bible love is not easily provoked. The OP reveals a willingness, an eagerness, to be provoked too readily.

Posted by Enoch (# 14322) on :

quote:

You mean tax inspectors have friends?

There seems to be a series of these posters. I saw a different one today, with a brown woman's eye peering round the corner of a peeling sheet of paper. Very pleased to see that this one is definitely not a woman in any sort of veil.

I still think HMRC are skating close to the wind - the other poster still seems to me to be very open to misinterpretation.

I would have expected better from a government department.

Posted by Doublethink (# 1984) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Mudfrog:
In a veil the eyes are allowed to peer through a deliberately placed opening. In the picture the hole is forcibly made in a covering that should be intact. It has nothing to do with a muslim veil. It's a hole ripped into a paper wrapping.

Tut.

Am I alone in recognising that church goers are always too easily offended about stuff?

According to my Bible love is not easily provoked. The OP reveals a willingness, an eagerness, to be provoked too readily.

While we are playing biblical slam-dunk, perhaps you should read this.

quote:

This seems a very odd post. Are you saying that it's un-Christian to be concerned about how particular groups are portrayed in the media?

Clearly different people will have different ideas about how to interpret these images (and that's exactly the reason why I started this discussion). But I don't see how being concerned about the way the media portrays Muslim women, or women in general, or Asian men, or disabled people, or white middle-class men, or the clergy, or any other group in society, is in any way un-Biblical.

Or do you regard subliminal stereotyping of particular members of society as showing Christian love?

quote:

Or do you regard subliminal stereotyping of particular members of society as showing Christian love?

This would be a fair comment if the ad were subliminal stereotyping - but it isn't.

I agree with mudfrog - to see it as subliminal stereotyping is looking for offence where none was intended.

quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:
quote:

Hehe - yes, my dearest friend - and she gets a lot of ribbing about it at Church (her husband is a tax collector) [Smile]

Posted by Gee D (# 13815) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:
quote:

In years gone by, tax collectors had at least one friend.

I used to get one with the tax collectors quite well when I worked for the Inland Revenue many years ago. Nice people. The actual Tax Inspectors were a bit too posh to mix much with the likes of us - except for some rather pleasant members of one of the smaller far-left groupuscules, CPBML or something like that. Where else but the Revenue would they send Maoist senior civil servants?

"Get on" I used to get on with the tax collectors...

Posted by Gee D (# 13815) on :

I was thinking of a couple of millennia ago.

quote:
This would be a fair comment if the ad were subliminal stereotyping - but it isn't.

That's your opinion. My opinion is different.

quote:
I agree with mudfrog - to see it as subliminal stereotyping is looking for offence where none was intended
So you think it's wrong to challenge stereotyping, or other behaviour which causes us concern, when the person doing it didn't intend any offence?

If it was intended as subliminal stereotyping it would have been of a group of people who fit a popular stereotype.

I don't know about where you live but round here the popular stereotype of a tax inspector is not an attractive young woman with light brown skin and green eyes. More likely a middle-aged white man with a moustache wearing a cheap suit and thick glasses.

quote:
Originally posted by Gee D:
I was thinking of a couple of millennia ago.

Gosh, I never would have guessed [Smile]

Posted by Sylvander (# 12857) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Honest Ron Bacardi:
The woman ... is intended to represent a tax inspector. What have the Mongol hordes got to do with this?

Funny. That particular connection was the one element of the OP that made sense to me.

quote:
Originally posted by Sylvander:
quote:
Originally posted by Honest Ron Bacardi:
The woman ... is intended to represent a tax inspector. What have the Mongol hordes got to do with this?

Funny. That particular connection was the one element of the OP that made sense to me.
You move in circles where Ghengiz Khan is chiefly remembered for his stance on VAT?

eyes looking through a hole ripped in paper.

I'm sorry but i just don't see the stereotyping of a Muslim woman here.

Do they wear paper bags with a hole ripped in the front?

quote:
quote:

This seems a very odd post. Are you saying that it's un-Christian to be concerned about how particular groups are portrayed in the media?

Not at all, I'm suggesting that it is you that's easily provoked into being offended.

Sometimes being offended on behalf of others is seen as patronising and unnecessary.

Now, being concerned for the people who are genuinely maltreated, then yes of course. We must speak out here but I think the OP makes the author seem faintly ridiculous.

It's like calling a blackboard a 'chalkboard' in case it offends an Afro-Carribean person.

Posted by MarsmanTJ (# 8689) on :

quote:
It's like calling a blackboard a 'chalkboard' in case it offends an Afro-Carribean person.

I was told the reason for that was because they later realised that it was better from a learning perspective to use green ones (I've seen schools that don't care about chalk dust allergies that still have green chalkboards) and that calling it a blackboard at that point was vaguely stupid, so they got a catch-all term. Much in the same way Policeman became Police Officer (rather than Policeman and Policewoman, a catch-all generic) Blackboard became Chalkboard.

Posted by Jahlove (# 10290) on :

I thought everyone used Whiteboards (those plastic, wipeable things) these days.

quote:
Not at all, I'm suggesting that it is you that's easily provoked into being offended.

As I said before, I'm not offended by these posters. I'm generally interested in how different groups of people are portrayed in the media, particularly the unspoken messages, and I'm concerned about the unspoken messages conveyed by the particular poster we're discussing.

quote:
Sometimes being offended on behalf of others is seen as patronising and unnecessary.
Dismissing somebody else's concerns out of hand is sometimes seen as patronising and unnecessary. Just saying.

I'm not altogether sure what you mean by 'unspoken messages'.

If you mean an implication that is intended but not overt then I'm with you.

If however you're 'unspoken message' is merely the inference drawn by people than there is no message at all - it's just someone being over sensitive.

As in this case.

So someone looking through a torn piece of paper looks like a woman looking out from her veil? It doesn't - only in the eyes of someone who is over-sensitive and assumes that those in authority are prejudiced and racist.

quote:
Originally posted by Ken:
If it was intended as subliminal stereotyping it would have been of a group of people who fit a popular stereotype.

I've never said here that I thought the poster was INTENDED as subliminal stereotyping.

quote:
I don't know about where you live but round here the popular stereotype of a tax inspector is not an attractive young woman with light brown skin and green eyes. More likely a middle-aged white man with a moustache wearing a cheap suit and thick glasses.
This is a really interesting point. I think that's probably the poster designer's intended message - "You think you know what a tax inspector looks like but you don't, and everyone you meet could be watching you!". On the same lines at the Transport for London posters about plain-clothes ticket inspectors (Sorry, can't find a link to these).

I really do worry about these sorts of messages. In the short term they probably work very well, at least on some people, but in the longer term don't you think they contribute to a sort of general paranoia, inability to trust other people in situations where other people can legitimately be trusted, and a pervasive fear of "stranger danger"?

quote:
I'm not altogether sure what you mean by 'unspoken messages'.

If you mean an implication that is intended but not overt then I'm with you.

If however you're 'unspoken message' is merely the inference drawn by people than there is no message at all - it's just someone being over sensitive.

By "unspoken messages" I mean the messages that are conveyed by references to other "texts" which belong to the culture. These references may be direct - for example by quoting a well-known saying or catch-phrase. An example would be somebody saying "Doh!" Most members of our culture would immediately recognise the reference to Homer Simpson and this draws on the "culture" of the Simpson series, including the sorts of characters, situations and political and social values of that series. Other references to cultural texts may be indirect, as when a particular image is selected by advertisers to convey an unspoken message about their product. And some messages are subliminal - the person who uses a phrase or an image is not consciously referring to any other text, but nonetheless there are reasons why they chose that particular phrase or image rather than the many possible alternatives.

I'm interested in why HMRC chose this image. To me it seems to draw on cultural stereotyping of Moslem women. Most people posting here disagree. That's interesting, and I'm enjoying reading everyone's post and learning what the image means or doesn't mean to them.

It's - a - hole - ripped - in - brown - paper - not a - space - in - the - black - material - of - a - Muslim - woman's - veil.

The clue is in the fact that few people agree with you.
There is NO subliminal or unspoken message. you are making a mountain out of a molehill, seeing offence where there is none and, quite frankly, making yourself look ridiculous.

[brick wall]

[ 25. November 2012, 13:08: Message edited by: Mudfrog ]

Posted by Soror Magna (# 9881) on :

OK, I read the whole thread before looking at the picture, to ensure maximum bias.

It looks like someone peeking out from inside a cardboard box. And it's weird because usually kids and pets play in boxes, not adult women.

quote:
Originally posted by Jahlove:
I thought everyone used Whiteboards (those plastic, wipeable things) these days.

They do - I haven't seen a black board or chalk in schools for many years. In fact, my school has no boards which can be written on - just screens and data projectors, linked to ipads.

Posted by Doublethink (# 1984) on :

Chill, people.

Doublethink
Purgatory host

quote:
There is NO subliminal or unspoken message. you are making a mountain out of a molehill, seeing offence where there is none .....

Mudfrog, you are just re-stating your opinion. As St Augustine wrote many centuries ago, "Maintaining a proposition loudly and forcibly does not make it true".

I heard you the first time.

If you would like to put forward some reasons for your opinion, as other people posting on this thread have done, I'll be happy to think about them. But as it is all you're doing is repeating "Oh no it isn't". And the pantomime season hasn't started yet.

quote:
...and, quite frankly, making yourself look ridiculous
That doesn't bother me at all.

[Big Grin]

Posted by Nicolemr (# 28) on :

If there was supposed to be a subliminal reference to Muslim women it isn't done very well obviously since most people do not see it. [Roll Eyes]

Personally I'm with the majority here, nothing intended.

Posted by lilBuddha (# 14333) on :

quote:
I'm interested in why HMRC chose this image. To me it seems to draw on cultural stereotyping of Moslem women. Most people posting here disagree. That's interesting, and I'm enjoying reading everyone's post and learning what the image means or doesn't mean to them.

They either bought a royalty-free image or commissioned a photo-shoot. Probably picked a woman as to seem less threatening. If they gave thought to what the woman looked like, it was either to pick a neutral, not obviously any particular ethnicity; or was the next step in the round robin of ethnicity that is their normal practice.
Honestly, you will find few here who look at potential racism with more scrutiny than me. And I do not see what you do.

quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:

Honestly, you will find few here who look at potential racism with more scrutiny than me. And I do not see what you do.

Same here. I was brought up in the most racist country on Earth, with my Dad in constant danger of being arrested for not complying with their racist laws. I often watched police with guns stopping and questioning him, twice they took him in for 'questioning'. My racist antenna are very twitchy indeed.

And I see no problem whatever with this ad.

The ironic thing is, if you are working in anywhere with an equality and diversity policy (eg, the public sector, academia) you are consciously looking for models to feature in your publicity material who are ethnically diverse.

So you may be right that the featured woman was chosen because she was a bit beige rather than, say, blond and blue eyed. But the intention was probably to convey the message that you can be a tax inspector without having to be male and Northern European.

Epic fail in your case, but nonetheless I bet Threadneedle Street to a positively-presented Asian orange that that is the case.

Chamois - if you want your argument to have a wider audience, you could write an article for The Guardian on this subject. Recent 'Comment is Free' subjects include the racism of the 'Compare the Meerkat' adverts and the inappropriateness (the authoress doesn't bring herself to use the r-word) of Psy's Gangnam Style. I think 800 words on the racism of brown paper would fit right in.

© Ship of Fools 2016