Thread: 'Who is bigger, Jesus or God?' Board: Oblivion / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=70;t=024195

Posted by Eirenist (# 13343) on :

Can anyone suggest an answer comprehensible to my 5-year-old grandson?

Posted by Mudfrog (# 8116) on :

Tell him that God is so big that Jesus is God made little so we can see him.

Posted by SusanDoris (# 12618) on :

My non-believer's response here is probably not one you will welcome, but a child who comes up with a question like that has already heard and picked up a lot about the subject, so may I suggest that perhaps this would be a good time to mention something like:
Well, some people believe that God is everywhere in the universe, some think he is very much attached to our planet Earth and its people and many others don't believe in god at all, or believe in all sorts of other gods.

'Bigger' in the context of the OP would seem to indicate 'more important'? Obviously, the child requires only a simple response at present, but it will be interesting to see how the discussions develop and change over the years.

Posted by Arch Anglo Catholic (# 15181) on :

Neither! God is Jesus and Jesus is God.
At the risk of monstrous heresy (always a risk when trying to explain difficult things simply!) I would be tempted to try and explain a little bit about the Trinity and that the three persona are still one God; they act in different ways but are the same God.
When I go out to work, I'm Dad with one job, when I was the car I'm Dad the car washer, and when I go home and play with the children I'm still Dad and still the same size!

Posted by orfeo (# 13878) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Mudfrog:

Nice.

Posted by LeRoc (# 3216) on :

Well, Jesus is a rather tall guy with shoulder-length hair and an Anglo-Saxon nose. God is an old, slightly fat bearded man who sits on top of a cloud.

The answer seems simple.

Posted by Adeodatus (# 4992) on :

I'm with Mudfrog on this one. Incarnation with a side order of kenosis - you can't beat it.

Posted by Martin PC not & Ship's Biohazard (# 368) on :

Aye Arch Anglo Catholic, not JUST a modalist but you are a car too!

Posted by the long ranger (# 17109) on :

Well, put it this way, if there was a fight between Jesus and God, God would win because he has the advantage of being in several places at once.

But then it might be a points decision, based on that time when God had that controversial win against Jacob when God delivered a low, winning, blow.

Jesus is slippery and can't be held down, but God is bigger and harder and meaner. My money is still on God, I think.

Posted by balaam (# 4543) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Arch Anglo Catholic:
Neither! God is Jesus and Jesus is God.
At the risk of monstrous heresy (always a risk when trying to explain difficult things simply!) I would be tempted to try and explain a little bit about the Trinity and that the three persona are still one God; they act in different ways but are the same God.

While you're at it explain that Jesus is not the Father, Jesus is not the Holy Spirit and the Father is not the Holy Spirit.

Confused yet? A five year old would be.

For a five year old I think what Mudfrog said is brilliant. For everyone else it's more complicated than that.

Posted by Gwai (# 11076) on :

quote:
Originally posted by SusanDoris:
My non-believer's response here is probably not one you will welcome, but a child who comes up with a question like that has already heard and picked up a lot about the subject, so may I suggest that perhaps this would be a good time to mention something like:
Well, some people believe that God is everywhere in the universe, some think he is very much attached to our planet Earth and its people and many others don't believe in god at all, or believe in all sorts of other gods.

While I would imagine that many if not most children who are interested in religion these days are already aware that different people believe different things. My daughter is a year younger than the child mentioned here, but she has been exposed to Islam and Judaism that I know of, and I have mentioned that some people don't believe in God too.

Re Jesus and God, Mudfrog I think you killed this thread! (By posting the right answer) [Smile]

Posted by Mudfrog (# 8116) on :

Yay! I'm glad I got something right eventually [Biased]

Posted by Freddy (# 365) on :

In my experience this question never comes up because the children are taught that Jesus is God come to earth.

I like Mudfrog's answer.

Posted by LeRoc (# 3216) on :

I'm sorry for trying to make a bit of fun earlier, I like Mudfrog's answer too.

Posted by no prophet (# 15560) on :

Does the child actually want a theological answer? What you do is figure out a bit what the child really wants to know, figure out what you might clarify, and probably get out a book or the crayons. I'd start out with a "what do you think?" and go from there.

Not strictly comparable, but I'm reminded of the child who asked about "vagina", got a rather detailed explanation, looked more and more puzzled, and then said "but we have cousins in Vagina and there's a mall there." (meant Regina, Saskatchewan) It is really a good idea to understand what the child is really talking about!

Posted by mousethief (# 953) on :

It is a brilliant metaphor.

Posted by Gamaliel (# 812) on :

Nice one, Mudfrog. You've earned your stripes. One of the best posts I've read for a long time.

Posted by bib (# 13074) on :

Kid's ask curious questions and often just need a simple answer - they don't need deep theological argument. My young grandson(5) asked me how God cuts His toenails. My answer was 'the angels do it for Him'. This was a pefectly acceptable answer for him. He is forever coming up with questions eg 'does God like eating spinach (child hates spinach). If he doesn't then why did he make it? Do I have to eat it if God doesn't like eating it?' etc. [good try kid]

Posted by Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras (# 11274) on :

If you recite the Quicunque Vult to the lad, that'll teach him to ask such daft questions in the first place. [Devil]

Posted by Grokesx (# 17221) on :

quote:
Hm, can't see Ben and Karen being impressed with that one.

Posted by balaam (# 4543) on :

quote:
Originally posted by bib:
He is forever coming up with questions eg 'does God like eating spinach (child hates spinach). If he doesn't then why did he make it? Do I have to eat it if God doesn't like eating it?' etc. [good try kid]

God made all the fruit and vegetables and said they were good*. If God said they are good you have to eat them.

(* Except for peaches, God says they are horrible.)

Posted by Eirenist (# 13343) on :

The reply I gave, thinking quickly, was 'When he was grown up, Jesus was the same size as God.'

Posted by the long ranger (# 17109) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Grokesx:
Hm, can't see Ben and Karen being impressed with that one.

Heh, I bet Karen would have ripped apart Mudfrog (if he'd said this) in about a second.

Posted by Mark Betts (# 17074) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Gamaliel:
Nice one, Mudfrog. You've earned your stripes. One of the best posts I've read for a long time.

Hear hear! The lad is only 5!

© Ship of Fools 2016