Thread: Leo: Sanctimonious Twat Board: Oblivion / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=70;t=024341

Posted by Spike (# 36) on :

quote:
Originally posted by leo:
The church isn't a membership club.

I know you won't reply to this because you are too fucking sanctimonious to post in Hell, but I'm posting this here anyway because to reply on the original thread in All Saints would be against the rules.

Percy B posted a perfectly legitimate OP about how people in church can get to know one another better, which is something we could all benefit from. Many people see church as place of fellowship as well as a place of worship.

Just because you're a miserable bastard who doesn't like talking to other people in church (by your own admission on many occasions), it doesn't mean the rest of us have to be as well, so just fuck off back into your little hole and don't disturb those of us who do want to speak to our fellow Christians.

[Leo, stop being such a sanctimonious twat]

[ 13. February 2013, 00:21: Message buggered about with by: comet ]

Posted by Evensong (# 14696) on :

*pffft*

Come, come hetero-overlord.

Even gregarious fellows like yourself should know introverts need people too.

leo was not being sanctimonious. You just took it that way.

Posted by mdijon (# 8520) on :

Are you doing a post-modern self-parody? It's hard to keep up.

It was, at best, an unhelpful comment on a thread that was asking for advice.

Posted by Doublethink (# 1984) on :

Didn't he recently brag about the two services he managed to kill off ?

Posted by PeteC (# 10422) on :

Yes, he did. Because he hadn't the time to do them, he killed them. Even though they had been delegated to him in good faith. There was absolutely no reason he couldn't have shuffled it off to some one else.

As far as leo goes, if he was in the only church in town, I would make an effort to get to the next town for spiritual sustenance. The man has such a highly inflated sense of his own importance and is a total wanker to boot that I marvel that he doesn't start his own church. Leo crucified. And a small handful of worshippers. Well, ok, one finger.

Posted by Organ Builder (# 12478) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Spike:
I know you won't reply to this because you are too fucking sanctimonious to post in Hell, but I'm posting this here anyway because to reply on the original thread in All Saints would be against the rules.

Just a slight correction--I've noticed he is perfectly willing to post on Hell calls for other Shipmates (and he's not always defending the underdog, either).

Posted by leo (# 1458) on :

quote:
quote:

.... Many people see church as place of fellowship as well as a place of worship.
So are you going to call the late great Archbishop William Temple to Hell as well? Or maybe you believe he is already there.

Posted by chive (# 208) on :

quote:
quote:
quote:

.... Many people see church as place of fellowship as well as a place of worship.
So are you going to call the late great Archbishop William Temple to Hell as well? Or maybe you believe he is already there.
Which post sums up absolutely why leo is a twat.

quote:
Originally posted by PeteC:
Yes, he did. Because he hadn't the time to do them, he killed them. Even though they had been delegated to him in good faith. There was absolutely no reason he couldn't have shuffled it off to some one else.

If you read the thread in question, about Hanukkah and Christmas, you will have read that i could not delegate because there was nobody to delegate to, that emails and phone messages went unanswered for as long as ten weeks.

Do you seriously think it is a Hell issue that someone is unwilling to do extra voluntary work, beyond a day job for ten hours or so, on two projects when one is doomed to fail, whatever effort one puts into it?

quote:
Originally posted by chive:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Which post sums up absolutely why leo is a twat.
How?

quote:
if he was in the only church in town, I would make an effort to get to the next town

I am not a church. I do not run a church. I merely volunteer in a united benefice of churches. There is a team, headed by the priest in charge.

Posted by PeteC (# 10422) on :

But if you were there, I would run miles in another direction, whether or not you were a volunteer.

quote:
Sometimes, of course, people don't want to mix, and that's OK.
Given that the quote above was the second sentence of the opening post in All Saints, leo's comment does seem gratuitous at best. Those who share his much-vaunted introversion were acknowledged, and Percy B made it plain to me he wasn't talking about them.

I'll be the first to admit I'm not above making the odd snotty comment in Hell, Purg, Styx, or DH. I'd like to think I have better sense than to dismiss an All Saints OP with a one-liner--and on the second reply, at that.

quote:
But if you were there, I would run miles in another direction, whether or not you were a volunteer.

But i thought you wanted 'fellowship' Or is that only with like-minded people, in short, a church of your own?

quote:
So are you going to call the late great Archbishop William Temple to Hell as well?

I don't know. What did he say?

If he were alive though, and he were a member here and started a thread in All Saints about something I happen to disagree with, I hope I'd have better manners than to jump in and tell him I thought he was wrong.

quote:
Originally posted by Organ Builder:
quote:
Sometimes, of course, people don't want to mix, and that's OK.
Given that the quote above was the second sentence of the opening post in All Saints, leo's comment does seem gratuitous at best. Those who share his much-vaunted introversion were acknowledged, and Percy B made it plain to me he wasn't talking about them.

I'll be the first to admit I'm not above making the odd snotty comment in Hell, Purg, Styx, or DH. I'd like to think I have better sense than to dismiss an All Saints OP with a one-liner--and on the second reply, at that.

Hence this thread!

quote:
But i thought you wanted 'fellowship' Or is that only with like-minded people, in short, a church of your own?

It takes two to fellowship. Personally I would be a bit put off by the possibility of a dusty "it's not a membership club" if I ventured to start a conversation.

quote:
quote:
So are you going to call the late great Archbishop William Temple to Hell as well?

I don't know. What did he say?

If he were alive though, and he were a member here and started a thread in All Saints about something I happen to disagree with, I hope I'd have better manners than to jump in and tell him I thought he was wrong.

What I said - that the church was not a membership club.

quote:
Originally posted by mdijon:
quote:

It takes two to fellowship. Personally I would be a bit put off by the possibility of a dusty "it's not a membership club" if I ventured to start a conversation.
So you wouldn't have gone to church much before the year 1920. Up to that time there wasn't coffee after mass. People lived in villages and saw each other every working day so they wouldn't linger after mass.

Conversation is one thing but the OP in Purg., later moved to All Sts. seemed to be seeking other churchfolk to meet up for meals etc.

If Christians huddfle together as a group of like- minded, where is the mission ?

Lay Christians are called (Lumen Gentium) out into the world as people in the front line of mission.

If soldiers spend all their time in the mess instead of the trenches, no battle will be fought, let alone one. Yes, and I hate military metaphors too.)

quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink:

One meeting, not a service.

A choice - an Advent Carol Service for the uni - front line of mission that attracts between 200 and 500.

Or CCJ, which attracts between 20 and 30 people.

Or should i do everything on the grounds that I volunteered the year before.

is it compulsory for volunteeers for one event to do the same every year until we die?

How many hours per week do you volunteer for?

Do you accept one job and then allow yourself to be expected to do it every year for the rest of your life?

[ 28. December 2012, 17:11: Message edited by: leo ]

quote:
What I said - that the church was not a membership club.

Oddly enough, Google isn't turning up anything when I search for "William Temple"+"membership club". Do you know precisely where this came from? It has all the hallmarks of a tag phrase lifted from its context.

There's a big difference between

"The church is not [just] a membership club [because it is so much more]."

and

"The church is not [anything at all like] a membership club [and any chance similarities should be stamped out]".

Posted by rugasaw (# 7315) on :

quote:
So you wouldn't have gone to church much before the year 1920. Up to that time there wasn't coffee after mass. People lived in villages and saw each other every working day so they wouldn't linger after mass.

And it would be noted if somebody did not meet at the "club" on Sunday morning. I don't know anything about your Archbishop but I know saying the exact same thing in two different sets of circumstances makes the two different.

quote:
quote:

A choice - an Advent Carol Service for the uni - front line of mission that attracts between 200 and 500.

is it compulsory for volunteeers for one event to do the same every year until we die?

Do you accept one job and then allow yourself to be expected to do it every year for the rest of your life?

Just a question, when asked to do the meeting/service did you accept or tell the person know I am not able to this year?

Posted by Ariel (# 58) on :

quote:

Welcome to the world of old-fashioned Irish Catholicism where the men would then go off to the local pub and have a post-Mass drink or three.

The coffee hour is probably the modern equivalent, though last time I was in Dublin the Sunday Pub Event seemed to be still going. Although it's possible that in the 21st century, a proportion had since cut out the Mass and were just concentrating on the pub aspect.

Posted by RuthW (# 13) on :

quote:
So you wouldn't have gone to church much before the year 1920.

But before the year 1920, you'd still have been considered a twat.

Posted by Trisagion (# 5235) on :

quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
quote:

Cheap, very cheap but funny, very funny.

Posted by Sioni Sais (# 5713) on :

quote:
quote:

If people have that sense of "belonging", that one gets with a club, wouldn't they be more willing to volunteer to do those things that you have had to discontinue? It might not be a membership club, but some aspects of such clubs can be useful.

OTOH, if everything has to be done exactly to the letter, rather than on a "just good enough" basis, very little would ever get completed.

Trisagion: [Big Grin]

quote:
Trisagion: [Big Grin]

Well if that isn't something I thought I would ever see.

It is rather late to be unpacking your unhelpful one-liner into engageable paragraphs Leo.

I've no idea what I would have done in 1920 but it seems completely besides the point. So what if no-one needed coffee hour then? So what if they had a different form of church community? They could have been right, wrong, or just different.

It might be bad to spend one's time inwardly looking in the church, and there is a discussion to be had about the balance between fellowship and mission, but a dusty one-liner about church not being a club when someone simply raises the issue of how to have fellowship isn't the way to do it.

That's just being a twat.

quote:
It is rather late to be unpacking your unhelpful one-liner into engageable paragraphs Leo.

Oh, mdijon--it wasn't just a one-liner. It was an unattributed one-liner stolen from an Archbishop (maybe--Google couldn't find it).

Still, you'll get no arguments from me regarding your final point.

quote:

quote:
Posted by leo on the Hanukkah thread:
it was one of our best attended events of the year

?

quote:
It was an unattributed one-liner stolen from an Archbishop (maybe--Google couldn't find it).

A curious twist on a previous Leo hell thread.

quote:
quote:

People were more mysogynistic then so they may have used such words as 'twat'.

quote:
quote:

quote:
Posted by leo on the Hanukkah thread:
it was one of our best attended events of the year

?

You have read it out of context again ..

The CCJ event that attracted between 20 and 30 was for a group that usually attracted 15

quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
quote:

Welcome to the world of old-fashioned Irish Catholicism where the men would then go off to the local pub and have a post-Mass drink or three.

The coffee hour is probably the modern equivalent, though last time I was in Dublin the Sunday Pub Event seemed to be still going. Although it's possible that in the 21st century, a proportion had since cut out the Mass and were just concentrating on the pub aspect.

Yes! No reply!

quote:
quote:

Oh, mdijon--it wasn't just a one-liner. It was an unattributed one-liner stolen from an Archbishop (maybe--Google couldn't find it).

quote:
The Church is the only society on earth that exists for the benefit of non-members.”
The whole website is pertinent to this silly thread.

quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
]If people have that sense of "belonging", that one gets with a club, wouldn't they be more willing to volunteer to do those things that you have had to discontinue? It might not be a membership club, but some aspects of such clubs can be useful.

The issue with local CCJ, indeed CCJ nationally except in London, is that Jews are few and far between.

We have 6 Jews on our books and about 40 Christians - the liturgy we devised requires 5 Jews and 5 Christians - you show me a club where almost the entire membership of one constituency attends en masse.

Indeed, before you criticise, tell me how many hours you have devoted to intefaith - I might learn something that our own HQ said should be given up and 'call it a day.'

Also, to what extent should one desert one's own church and prioritise interfaith?

quote:
Originally posted by rugasaw:
I don't know anything about your Archbishop but I know saying the exact same thing in two different sets of circumstances makes the two different.

Who is 'my' archbishop? At the moment it is Rowan Willams.

Temple died long before I was born.

quote:
quote:

Just a slight correction--I've noticed he is perfectly willing to post on Hell calls for other Shipmates (and he's not always defending the underdog, either).
Yes - occasionally, but i have never said anything derogatory about shipmates - unless pastor Fred of Westboro has joined.

Posted by sebby (# 15147) on :

I haven't had the chance to read all these posts, but admire the fact that Leo can produce such a response. We have disagreed about certain (perhaps insignifcant) points in the past, and will probably continue to do so on occasions. However, I do think his posts require careful attention and consideration, and have more depth than has here been credited.

I am a little suspicious of the Church of England (if it purports to be the national church in some sense - and this is a debate on its own) being a 'club'. I'd like to think its doors were open wide as a broad church, a default setting if you like, including all those who might be 'broadly Christian'. It ought to be a home for the often despised on here, 'cultural Christian'. A 'club' inplies those who are members, and those who are not. That is certainly not my understanding of an established or national church (there are similarities and differences between these terms). The fact that at its best the CofE is NOT a club, or shouldn't be, makes me glad to be a more active part of it.

If by 'fellowship' we mean an open, welcoming, social meeting for anyone, then one can hardly object. Many find friends in the local church and often single people see within it, their family. Here, most people pile into the pub after the morning service (bit like Dublin in a more Devonian way), and if that is what is meant by 'fellowship' then all well and good, although Doombar real ale isn't necessarily the best prepartion for mission, nor is the word 'fellowship' one usually to be heard on the lips of the congregation there assembled.

When I hear the word 'Fellowship'. particuarly when spelt with a capital 'F' although not at the beginning of a sentence, I tend to think of rather puritanical sorts sharing a Garibaldi biscuit or two, thinking 'I am glad that I am not like other people are', with a sort of UKIP ecclesiology. But that may be unfair.

quote:
"The Church is the only society on earth that exists for the benefit of non-members.”

quote:

I put it to you, ladies and gentlemen of the jury, that these two statements bear little relationship to each other. If nothing else, it seems quite clear that the good Archbishop did indeed consider the church a society (since he labelled it as such), even if its purpose was not aimed inward.

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by rugasaw:
I don't know anything about your Archbishop but I know saying the exact same thing in two different sets of circumstances makes the two different.

Who is 'my' archbishop? At the moment it is Rowan Willams.

Temple died long before I was born.

How droll of you. Way to choose to respond pedantically instead of addressing the issue raised.

quote:
quote:
The Church is the only society on earth that exists for the benefit of non-members.”
The whole website is pertinent to this silly thread.
And he would be wrong the Church is not the only society on earth that exists for the benefit of non-members. Also this quote does not imply that the Church only exists for the benefit of non-members. Is there anything else pertinent to the discussion that you or any Archbishop whom you choose to quote have to add.

Perhaps the best gauge of the value of leo's contribution to the All Saints thread is to note that it has continued on rather healthily as though leo had never made a comment, attracting interest from a wide variety of Shipmates.

Posted by mousethief (# 953) on :

quote:
"The Church is the only society on earth that exists for the benefit of non-members.”

This is so stupid it nearly breaks all previous records for stupid things said on the ship. Any society whose purpose is to, say, build infrastructure in poor African villages exists for the benefit of non-members.

The church on the other hand exists at least in part to nourish and grow the faithful. It is the hospital of souls, not the drive-through clinic of souls.

quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
The church on the other hand exists at least in part to nourish and grow the faithful. It is the hospital of souls, not the drive-through clinic of souls.

Earlier this year, a Methodist church in Ohio served McAshes.

I'll have the double low fat mocha gluten free communion to go please.

ETA: I will have fries with that.

[ 28. December 2012, 20:56: Message edited by: rugasaw ]

You're in luck, rugasaw!

They're having a special.

Posted by Sober Preacher's Kid (# 12699) on :

quote:
quote:
quote:

And all was bucolic and peaceful and People Knew Their Place. [Disappointed]

So the Church Picnic is a 20th Century invention? [Killing me]

Posted by orfeo (# 13878) on :

quote:
quote:

quote:

I put it to you, ladies and gentlemen of the jury, that these two statements bear little relationship to each other. If nothing else, it seems quite clear that the good Archbishop did indeed consider the church a society (since he labelled it as such), even if its purpose was not aimed inward.

Seconded. Leo, to take that statement from Temple and turn it into a one-liner suggesting that there's something inherently wrong with Christians wanting to meet Christians is perverse.

Although I also suspect it has something to do with your discovery over the years that a very large number of Christians do NOT want to meet with you. You're making a virtue out of necessity.

Posted by Pearl B4 Swine (# 11451) on :

Perpetually Put-Upon, Leo must, even in Hell, instruct us and demonstrate his superior intellect. It's awfully annoying to drop Latin into an otherwise English post - (Lumen Gentium)

And, what please, is CCJ ? I'm ashamed to say that my lumen is feeble, compared to yours, Leo.
See how annoying that is?

Pb4S, he wasn't dropping Latin into an otherwise English post but making reference to the document of the Second Vatican Council which he was citing as authority for his assertion. He could, of course, cited it in its full translated title but that would have been rather long and no-one uses the translation of its first two words to refer to it. So, here at least, leo must be acquitted of the charge laid against him.

Posted by Martin PC not & Ship's Biohazard (# 368) on :

Hey leo

Merry Christmas mate, and a Happy New Year.

quote:
Originally posted by Trisagion:
So, here at least, leo must be acquitted of the charge laid against him.

I have to say also that, on reflection, giving up on a service that requires hours of preparation and only attracts 30 at a busy time of year when one is a finite resource and getting no support for it is not all that unreasonable.

It was the original brief description that came across as rather arrogant and uncaring.

Likewise there is a reasonable point to be made about the nature of church and fellowship, but that wasn't well captured by a brusque and ill-considered one-liner in all saints.

While I'm on presentational issues, having "jews on our books" does sound unfortunately parallel to "binders full of women".

Posted by Evensong (# 14696) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Martin PC not & Ship's Biohazard:
Hey leo

Yeah. Bloody oath.

From me too

quote:
Originally posted by Pearl B4 Swine:
And, what please, is CCJ ?

The Council of Christians and Jews - the oldest interfaith dialogue group in the UK, (in Europe too, i think)

Posted by Chapelhead (# 21) on :

Cosmo was right?

Posted by Mad Cat (# 9104) on :

quote:
Hey leo

Martin, I think I'm in love with you.

Leo, if you don't have much to say on an issue, please don't feel obliged to post on the thread.

An All Saints thread is about support. Discuss the rights and wrongs of church fellowship elsewhere. Adding your waspish comment only serves to make you look sanctimonious.

As I say to my 4th years: "Don't be that guy."

Posted by Martin PC not & Ship's Biohazard (# 368) on :

Hey Mad Cat, I'm in love with me too, but it's not working out.

Posted by Tortuf (# 3784) on :

Use your left hand.

Posted by Sioni Sais (# 5713) on :

quote:
Hey Mad Cat, I'm in love with me too, but it's not working out.

No surprise there.

For the benefit of recent arrivals (and others it would seem) I had better let you know that romances made in Hell are like those made on holidays (what Americans calll vacations). They just aren't a good idea.

Sioni Sais
Kind, informative Hellhost

quote:
Originally posted by Tortuf:
Use your left hand.

Quotes file.

Posted by no prophet (# 15560) on :

Re:

"The church isn't a membership club"

Probably it's true, because lots of churches have no members and rather empty. It should be a membership club in the sense that they need to meet at least some social needs.

I'm not very familiar with Leo, though would note that "twat" around here means "vagina". So he's an excessively moralistic, holier than thou vagina? Define "holier" in this context I think.

Posted by EtymologicalEvangelical (# 15091) on :

There was once a fairly sensible discussion on the topic of church and relationships, which I think is relevant to the OP in the All Saints thread in which leo made the offending comment.

Posted by Anselmina (# 3032) on :

quote:
Originally posted by no prophet:
Re:

"The church isn't a membership club"

Probably it's true, because lots of churches have no members and rather empty. It should be a membership club in the sense that they need to meet at least some social needs.

I'd imagine that churches that have no members are not actually churches at all but are 'closed buildings'.

And what is a 'membership club', anyway? Many people who go to church have plenty of their social needs met in that way. Whereas I know many clubs that certainly do nothing to meet my social needs, or the needs of many others. First and foremost a church should be what it says it is - the Body of Christ. Which can be two people meeting in a front room on a Tuesday night, or several thousand in a cinema.

Posted by Firenze (# 619) on :

quote:

I'm not very familiar with Leo, though would note that "twat" around here means "vagina". So he's an excessively moralistic, holier than thou vagina? Define "holier" in this context I think.

Someone who hasn't cottoned on to the use of terms for genitalia as insults. What a knob.

[ 10. January 2013, 16:13: Message edited by: Firenze ]

Is it worse to be a knob or to be a twat? I can't decide. Oh fuck it.

quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
Someone who hasn't cottoned on to the use of terms for genitalia as insults. What a knob.

Quotes file.

Posted by no prophet (# 15560) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
quote:

Oh don't be a dickhead. And watch what you're doing with your mouse. Or some thief will quote you.

Posted by Pants (# 999) on :

quote:
If Christians huddle together as a group of like- minded, where is the mission ?

And where is the support / strength / shared talent etc to enable mission to happen if they don't?

© Ship of Fools 2016