Thread: Names and their meaning Board: Oblivion / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=70;t=024372

Posted by Angloid (# 159) on :

I don't mean literal or etymological meaning, just what sort of impression they convey. Boogie posted on a thread in Purgatory
quote:
It'll return, as will Margaret (my given name but I've been Mags since I was four - Dad's fault)

My friend's new grandchild is called Elsie - a name I never thought would return!

Maybe because of its association with the Terror of Downing Street, I tend to be wary of people called Margaret. (Though nothing personal intended, Boogie, and I quite like Mags). Elsie on the other hand suggests a warm and friendly middle-aged or elderly lady who is the heart and soul of a church congregation or local community... I'm sure an Auntie Elsie would be very generous to her family at Christmas.

Most Angelas I know are brusque, efficient, and tend to be prickly, but if you are on the right side of them they are worth their weight in gold. But a woman called Barbara (and this is not really reflected in the Barbaras I know) is likely to be disorganised, unpunctual and a prime candidate for a makeover from Gok Wan.

As for men, Alans are reliable, well-presented and the sort you want on your side; Stanley (not many of them around these days) is solid, salt-of-the-earth, but rather unimaginative. Brian is studious, quiet but a supportive friend.

All of those names reflect a certain era ... post WW2... and of course British. Fashions are changing and as Boogie suggests the old names are beginning to return. US and Aussie culture will provide a different selection (you don't get many Nancys or Bruces in the UK).

Any other names associated with different generations that conjure up images?

Posted by Firenze (# 619) on :

I have not, since my schooldays, met many Audreys, Yvonnes, Hesters, Muriels, Lilas or Priscillas. There were always a lot of Margarets and shed loads of Lizes of course. The boys were mainly called Trevor.

Posted by Mechtilde (# 12563) on :

A checker at my local supermarket - a young woman - is named "Mabel." Never thought I'd see that. Conjures up a 90-something, tough but with a soft spot for kids. Of course, if you're 90-something, nearly everyone is a kid.

Posted by North East Quine (# 13049) on :

Originally posted by Angloid:
quote:
Elsie on the other hand suggests a warm and friendly middle-aged or elderly lady who is the heart and soul of a church congregation or local community..
I knew an elderly Elsie, very sweet and an indefatigable knitter and talented crocheter, who in her youth had spent a couple of years in America, where she sang and played guitar in an illegal drinking den during Prohibition. Elsie was the local fount of knowledge on sex. My mother returned [Eek!] from coffee with her after Elsie had explained oral sex; I was home from University on holiday and therefore old enough for Mum to share her disquiet!

[ 07. January 2013, 06:28: Message edited by: North East Quine ]

Posted by Smudgie (# 2716) on :

Our family had a saying that everyone ought to have a "Margaret". Of the three sisters, two of us had a friend called Margaret, and in both cases they were strong women, fairly brusque and efficient and reliable, but the most unconditionally loving, generous (with their time) and helpful friend, without whom life would run so much less smoothly. My third sister didn't have one and would complain about it!

When I was adopting, I was asked if there were any names I wouldn't consider. No hesitation - ridiculous as it sounded, I couldn't have had a son called Wayne. They're brattish, attention-seeking clowns. (Sorry, if you're a Wayne, I take it all back. There must be exceptions and I'm sure you're a really nice fellow!)

I know a little girl called Elsie. It suits her.

Posted by Sparrow (# 2458) on :

quote:
Originally posted by North East Quine:
quote:
Elsie on the other hand suggests a warm and friendly middle-aged or elderly lady who is the heart and soul of a church congregation or local community..
I knew an elderly Elsie, very sweet and an indefatigable knitter and talented crocheter, who in her youth had spent a couple of years in America, where she sang and played guitar in an illegal drinking den during Prohibition. Elsie was the local fount of knowledge on sex. My mother returned [Eek!] from coffee with her after Elsie had explained oral sex; I was home from University on holiday and therefore old enough for Mum to share her disquiet!
Sounds like the Elsie in the song from "Cabaret"!

Posted by Boogie (# 13538) on :

Neils and Peters are always naughty!

(re: Margaret - I never associated my name as being the same as Margaret Thatcher's until I read the OP of this thread. Honestly! I am now thoroughly traumatised!!, must have been in some sort of denial.)

Posted by Ariel (# 58) on :

Anyone by the name of Jean is likely to have a strong practical streak and a lot of common-sense, coupled with organizational ability. They tend to be overlooked a lot as they don't usually push themselves forward.

If you need something fixed or assembled, any Frank will sort it out for you. They seem to like making things and have some kind of affinity with wood. Peter is another, though he tends to be more into gardening than carpentry.

Vivien is one of the people you notice first in any social group. Talks a lot, but can't handle pressure well.

Olivias are always very confident. They know what they want from life, and usually get it.

And hair is likely to be a big thing for any female Pat. It may be styled weekly at the hairdressers, it may be dyed/bleached to within an inch of its life, it may be uncontrollable or hideously stringy, but one thing's for sure, it'll be what you notice first about her.

Posted by PeteC (# 10422) on :

You've never met my sister, Ariel. With that description of her, you don't want to meet her.

quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
Neils and Peters are always naughty!

Hey! [Angel] Wait til I tell my nephew too!

Posted by Lucia (# 15201) on :

quote:

But a woman called Barbara (and this is not really reflected in the Barbaras I know) is likely to be disorganised, unpunctual and a prime candidate for a makeover from Gok Wan.

This made me laugh! I used to work with a Barbara who gave rise to the phrase at work "It's looking a bit Barbara in here" meaning things were looking quite a mess! I remember trying to enter her room in the nurse's accommodation and only being able to open the door far enough to squeeze around it due to all the other stuff all over the floor!

Posted by Chorister (# 473) on :

I used to groan inwardly whenever I looked at the class list and saw I'd have to teach a Wayne, Lee or Darren. Whilst my gloomy prediction was often correct, however, I used to be delighted on occasion when proved wrong!

I know what you mean, Chorister. But the three Waynes that I am conscious of having met are all quiet, polite, self-effacing types.

Posted by blackbeard (# 10848) on :

At one time in my life, it seemed that nearly all girls were called Brenda. I am not able to explain this, but I can assure all Brendae that I have nothing against them.

I suspect that PeteC might be deeply suspicious of anyone called Stanley. To me, it means someone dependable and reliable who can do a good job (from the tool-making company).

I used to puzzle over the Roman habit of calling girls Barbara. As in, female barbarian (have I got this right?), but apparently these northern women were known for their beauty. Ursula I cannot explain - can anyone? With apologies to all Ursulae.

[ 07. January 2013, 17:02: Message edited by: blackbeard ]

Posted by Carex (# 9643) on :

quote:
I know what you mean, Chorister. But the three Waynes that I am conscious of having met are all quiet, polite, self-effacing types.

It is those with the middle name of Wayne that you have to watch out for.

Barbara refers to red hair. Vikings and other Northish raiders often had red hair -hence Barbarian. But the origin of the name is inoffensive.

Posted by Heavenly Anarchist (# 13313) on :

quote:
Originally posted by blackbeard:

I used to puzzle over the Roman habit of calling girls Barbara. As in, female barbarian (have I got this right?), but apparently these northern women were known for their beauty. Ursula I cannot explain - can anyone? With apologies to all Ursulae.

Barbara is a female barbarian but barbarian originally meant any foreigner (not just someone uncouth). Or so a recent BBC history programme told me.

Posted by Jade Constable (# 17175) on :

PeteC, interesting about Barbara and red hair! Barbara makes me instantly think of Barbara Gordon, aka Batgirl/Oracle/now Batgirl again - who does indeed have red hair. Barbara Gordon is one of my favourite comic book characters (and my pseudonym elsewhere on the internet) so for me Barbara has positive connotations. I don't know any personally though.

Amy was one of the most common girls' names in my secondary school and along with Amy March from Little Women, means I associate it with blonde hair and a silly, slightly stuck-up personality.

Posted by Aravis (# 13824) on :

All except one of the Ruths I've known have been exceptionally tall (one of them was 6 foot 3 [Eek!] ).
And all except one of the Neils I've known have been gay.

(Cue for all short Ruths and straight Neils to start posting! [Biased] )

Posted by ArachnidinElmet (# 17346) on :

I have a friend named Pauline after pope JP II who was visiting the UK in the year she was born (1982), unfortunately also the year that Eastenders was first aired. She gets grief both from people assuming she is 30 years older than she is (telesales and the like) and those that think she was named for Pauline Fowler. Needless to say she's never quite forgiven her mother.

Posted by RuthW (# 13) on :

Not short, but not tall: 5'5". My friends say my name suits me.

Posted by jedijudy (# 333) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Aravis:
All except one of the Ruths I've known have been exceptionally tall (one of them was 6 foot 3 [Eek!] ).

quote:
Originally posted by Carex:
It is those with the middle name of Wayne that you have to watch out for.

Well, now you're talking about my grandparents! However, my grandma Ruth was about 4'10. I guess you didn't know her, Aravis! And she was definitely not married to a killer. Mahlon Wayne was only dangerous to fish. Hmmm, a bit Biblical, don't you think? Ruth and Mahlon.

I think all the Daves I know are musical. Perhaps they get that from King David?

quote:
Originally posted by PeteC:
Barbara refers to red hair. Vikings and other Northish raiders often had red hair -hence Barbarian. But the origin of the name is inoffensive.

Barbara comes from the ancient Greek; it was an onomatopeic word, because the ancient Greeks thought that when barbarians spoke their language sounded more like "ba ba ro" than anything. If you want names that specifically refer to red hair you'll be looking at Rory or Ross.

I've sometimes wondered whether it has anything to do with "barba", which means beard, i.e. those hairy foreigners who don't shave. Either way, by Roman times it had broadened enough in scope to lose its less pleasant associations and actually become a personal name.

You are right, Ariel, and I realise now that I was thinking of Barbarossa, an early middle ages Germanic king.

Posted by ChaliceGirl (# 13656) on :

Every Jennifer I've known has been chatty.

I know a Barbara- and she's exactly how you described: disorganized and always late!

Every Joe I've known is talkative as well, and very down to earth. Seems like every family has at least one Joe in it.

Posted by Galilit (# 16470) on :

quote:

re: Margaret - I never associated my name as being the same as Margaret Thatcher's until I read the OP of this thread. Honestly! I am now thoroughly traumatised!!, must have been in some sort of denial.

"Thatcher" is my nickname among Arab men of my age and older. They hear the "Margaret" and from then on call me "Thatcher".

Of course in The Old Country there was always another Margaret in the class.

Wouldn't change it for the world. It is a really international name - having started in "Persia" and migrated to all points of the compass with varied spellings.

[ 11. January 2013, 05:33: Message edited by: Galilit ]

Posted by Edith (# 16978) on :

My husband complains that half my friends are called Mary and the other half are called Anne. I blame it on being a Catholic.

Posted by sophs (# 2296) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Smudgie:
When I was adopting, I was asked if there were any names I wouldn't consider. No hesitation - ridiculous as it sounded, I couldn't have had a son called Wayne. They're brattish, attention-seeking clowns. (Sorry, if you're a Wayne, I take it all back. There must be exceptions and I'm sure you're a really nice fellow!)

I have a Wayne, but his nickname is Jeeves, he lets himself into my house and always starts helping, when my back was *really* bad he arrived every day to do odd jobs like putting the washing on, and moving shopping and getting me drinks. He gained his nickname by helping the wargamers set up their terrain and then watching as they played and helping them return the room to it's normal state.

It is said, amongst teachers, that names beginning with a K or a C are to be watched carefully as they indicate possible trouble. Kieron, Callum, Connor, Kayden, Kayleigh, Kelly, Kaycie, Kerry and so on. And I've had a few Jaydens, Jordens and Shaynees who have been difficult too.

Posted by deano (# 12063) on :

My daughter, 14, has many, many friends at school, all seemingly called "Beth"! There is small Beth, big Beth, Bus Beth and so on.

My wife knows them but I just nod and make noises at the appropriate times when they are discussing them. Sorry.

Posted by deano (# 12063) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Edith:
It is said, amongst teachers, that names beginning with a K or a C are to be watched carefully as they indicate possible trouble. Kieron, Callum, Connor, Kayden, Kayleigh, Kelly, Kaycie, Kerry and so on. And I've had a few Jaydens, Jordens and Shaynees who have been difficult too.

Sorry for the double post, but it seems to be children with "modern" names that are responsible for the trouble.

I have to agree with the sentiment from my own experiences as a parent of children. Kieran, Jordan, Jake et al, all trouble causers.

It cannot be the name, it must be the family background and the attitude issues go along with the desire to name children with modern, popululist names.

But that's a bit Purgy or even Hellish, so apologies in advance.

Posted by bib (# 13074) on :

I must be an exception to other Barbaras - I'm highly organized and never late for anything. In fact my friends and family describe me as being OCD.
My friend has a son with a most unfortunate name. He was born with a cleft palate and she decided she like the name Cameron. A few years later she was most distressed to find that Cameron means crooked nose!

Posted by Chorister (# 473) on :

quote:
all except one of the Neils I've known have been gay.

And there was me thinking they were all called Lawrence - that's the common link around here.

quote:

Lots of Katherines or Catherines around - they tend to be quite intelligent, hardworking and don't suffer fools gladly. Oddly enough, they're either blonde, or have long flowing brown hair.

I think there probably is some truth in the idea that a child with a distinctive first name is probably going to have a more distinctive character than one with a very mainstream name, if only because they'll stand out as different amongst their peers right from the start.

Also, many people do give a child a particular name with an association with a particular person, so possibly they're predisposed to look for some of that person's qualities in the child.

Posted by Curious (# 93) on :

I'd always thought of Lucys as being rather lovely. Then I met one in her 90s. Very happy to point out that if I wasn't around she'd be interested in my partner,and very ready to explore her potential lesbian relationship (whilst also wondering what it was that 'gays' did).

I think being older has a lot of advantages!!!

Posted by Kelly Alves (# 2522) on :

quote:

I Kouldn't possible Komment.

Note from 9th grade Spanish teacher to my mom: 'Half the boys in my class wind up getting sent to the office once a week, and it's due to Kelly's constant provocations."

Posted by poileplume (# 16438) on :

Why can’t we have old fashioned descriptive names like Eric Bloodaxe or Thorfinn Skull-Splitter? Now imagine going into a negation with them in your team. You would have won before you began.

Spotting potential trouble makers in class.

Bringing home to meet parents.

I mean you know where you stand, much simply than modern names.

Posted by Dormouse (# 5954) on :

quote:

The first three names are the names of three of my nephews!!! I don't think they were/are any trouble at school though.

Posted by Sir Kevin (# 3492) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:

Olivias are always very confident. They know what they want from life, and usually get it.

Certainly it's true of my almost-16-year-old niece! She has already visited Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena and wants to be an astrophysicist colonizing Mars!

Todds work too hard, but Kevins know how to have fun.

Posted by no prophet (# 15560) on :

Here's a name that I did not understand until recently:

Nevaeh - which is Heaven spelt backwards. This has become common among mostly First Nations people. I guess is means, well, heaven.

All boys names Connor are hyperactive.

No girl here is ever named Agatha, Bertha or Claudia any more here. These names are associated with frumpiness. The male equivalents are things like Edwin and Norbert. They would be automatic nerds or what I understand is "anorak" is UK parlance.

I did know, in youth, both a girl and a boy named Gay, the girl had an "e" on the end. Neither kept using it when this became a term for sexuality in the 1970s. I don't know how the word "gay" was chosen for that.

Posted by Heavenly Anarchist (# 13313) on :

I know an Agatha, there's quite a few small children with old fashioned names round here. It seems that those names have become acceptable again, I guess more so now when unusual names are more common. My own name of Ann is considered frumpy but I am always known as Annie which appears more acceptable, despite it originally being a frumpy old lady name.
Someone once sent me a link to names in the UK and no adult appeared to have my eldest's name - Zadok. The local kids used to ask me if it was from Star Trek or some other sci-fi. He loves having an unusual name and especially having his own music [Smile]

Posted by no prophet (# 15560) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Heavenly Anarchist:
My own name of Ann is considered frumpy but I am always known as Annie which appears more acceptable, despite it originally being a frumpy old lady name.

Ann has never been a frumpy name in Canada. Though it is often seen as Anne, "Anne with and 'e'", after Anne Shirley of "Anne of Green Gables". That book may be also why Ann/Anne is positive here?

Never heard of a Zadok. Though for boys, I have met two Garnets which I thought was an unusual name. Zadok sounds very powerful.

Posted by The5thMary (# 12953) on :

As some people are rather keen on astrology, I'm interested in names. For instance, in my own experience, I've noticed that all the Davids in my life are kind, thoughtful, non-chauvanistic, animal lovers, artistic, sometimes musically inclined, hate to be called "Dave". Men named Erik, with the k instead of the c tend to be musicians, artists, have a great sense of humor, believe in friendships and are loyal to friends and family. Guys named Steve can be artisitic but can also be somewhat flaky.

Names of women: Jennifer: Artistic, caring, smart, lots of self-confidence, determined, excited about life.

Kristine or Christine: Intense, great sense of humor, highly intelligent, does not suffer fools gladly, perceptive.

I usually try to stay away from guys named Mark or Marc, and never met a Roger who wasn't weird, in a bad way (although I did have a welding teacher named Roger who was weird in a good way, as he was a metal sculptor, when not teaching welding). A guy named James can be really funny, smart, but also unreliable, in my experience.

quote:

If the Kardashian family is any indication, I agree!

I have had a boss named Victor, followed by another boss named Victor- that must mean something.

Posted by Jengie Jon (# 273) on :

Edwin

Not a geek, a dapper guy whose mother insisted he went to ball room dancing. Quite possibly wears a bow tie and carries an umbrella. Eccentric yes but quite one for the ladies who believe he is harmless.

Jengie

I was observing a student teacher yesterday and in her class ware: God's Favour, God's Gift, Zeal, Justice, five children called Abu Bakr, Winner, Gold, Good Luck, Bluebell, and, - heaven help us - Ikea.

Posted by Starbug (# 15917) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Jengie Jon:
Edwin

Not a geek, a dapper guy whose mother insisted he went to ball room dancing. Quite possibly wears a bow tie and carries an umbrella. Eccentric yes but quite one for the ladies who believe he is harmless.

Jengie

Oy! My late Dad was an Edwin (although he wasnaleays known as Ted). He never wore a tie, but he did love the ballroom dancing. That's how he met my Mum! [Biased]

Fortunately, my grandmother didn't give in to the elderly interfering relative who insisted he should be called Aubrey.

[ 15. January 2013, 05:58: Message edited by: Starbug ]

Posted by Miffy (# 1438) on :

Behold the mother of a Bruce, a rare breed indeed. His father named him after Bruce Springsteen; I was high on gas and air at the time and was in no position to argue. He's grown up into a fine young man - caring, considerate, articulate, imaginative, go-getting...no, I'm not pushing his CV,really!

Our eldest is a Katharine. Ariel, your description was spot on. Other qualities as for her brother. [Big Grin]

quote:
Originally posted by Jengie Jon:
Edwin

I only know one Edwin and you have described him to a T!

Posted by Thurible (# 3206) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Chorister:
quote:
all except one of the Neils I've known have been gay.

And there was me thinking they were all called Lawrence - that's the common link around here.
No, no. You're thinking of Simon. I don't think I've ever met a straight one. (Typing that, I realise I've met precisely one straight one.)

Thurible

Posted by comet (# 10353) on :

The Nicks and Matts I know tend to be gay. Some of them don't know it yet.

Scotts are pretty boys who don't always age well.

Emilys need to have control over everything and can't handle confrontation well.

Kathys and Katies (etc) tend to be grounded and no-nonsense people.

Jims are exceedingly loyal.

Daves are reliable, salt of the earth types with terrible romantic histories.

Corys and Shanes are "manly men" who like cars, cheap beer, sports, duct tape, and take forever to grow up.

I keep waiting for my name to come up.... [Biased]

When I was a solicitor, I did four change-of-names and three were for men who hated their given name of Albert.

I know three Matthews, all of whom are highly intelligent.

Every Catherine I have met has been an all-round capable, head-girl type.

I gave my son my maiden name as a middle name. It was a dull, safe sort of middle name, but a subsequent female pop star has meant that it's now seen as one of the "modern" girls name given by celeb-struck parents [Ultra confused]

Posted by Lothlorien (# 4927) on :

My dad's name was Albert, a family name. He hated it and always used his second name, although mum called him Albert. There was even one generation where there was an Alberta instead of Albert. She changed her name when she was about 70.

[ 15. January 2013, 11:35: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

Posted by Thurible (# 3206) on :

quote:
I gave my son my maiden name as a middle name. It was a dull, safe sort of middle name, but a subsequent female pop star has meant that it's now seen as one of the "modern" girls name given by celeb-struck parents [Ultra confused]

You gave your son the middle name 'Britney'?

Thurible

quote:
I know three Matthews, all of whom are highly intelligent.

I can add the two I know to the list. It does make you wonder, doesn't it?

quote:
Originally posted by Thurible:
quote:

You gave your son the middle name 'Britney'?

Thurible

[Smile] Not Britney. Not Tiffany either, unlike a certain Richard Tiffany Gere, who also got his mother's maiden name as a middle name.

Chardonnay?

Posted by The5thMary (# 12953) on :

The other day, on the local news there was a story about a woman who had been rescued by a neighbor when their apartment building burned down. The rescuer's name? Tertiary Brown (not really his last name) the II.

WHO names their child Tertiary and then names the son after the first Tertiary???

Dear God... how dreadful....

Posted by jedijudy (# 333) on :

Adding more Matthews to the gathering.

Daughter-Unit seems to be surrounded by young men named Matthew. She dated a couple of them, and married the best one!

A Matthew who was a very good friend in high school did finally figure out that he's gay. We were waiting for the light to dawn.

Even now, she will call me to ask if I can guess the name of the new co-worker or neighbor. Of course, it's always Matthew. And they are all very intelligent. Just the fact that they like to hang around D-U proves it! [Biased]

I came across an Effiebella in the 1901 census today. Her given name appears to have been Effie Isabel, though. What's wonderful is that she's a pharmaceutical student in 1911; clearly not being held back by her ridiculous name. (Even in 1901 I'm pretty sure Effiebella was a dire name.)

Posted by Amos (# 44) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Lothlorien:
My dad's name was Albert, a family name. He hated it and always used his second name, although mum called him Albert. There was even one generation where there was an Alberta instead of Albert. She changed her name when she was about 70.

If she'd just hung on a bit longer it would have come back round into fashion. I hope she didn't change it to 'Kylie.'

The great Fr Forrest wrote a poem about a child brought for baptism with the name of Gooey. The perplexed priest asked for the spelling and was reassured that it was G-U-Y.

Posted by Mama Thomas (# 10170) on :

It wasn't long ago Berthas were old and fat, until the last two I met were young and had the bodies of models. Barbaras all used to be over 70 and now they are getting younger. All Emilys are children. The Tiffanys and Ambers of the world all look well into middle age, though they cannot be. It must be their liftstyles that have aged them so rapidly.

Philips can be of any age, as can Philippas. I have never met a young Herbert. I think the Kaydens of the world change their name to Herbert when they turn 80.

People with last names as first names, Johnson, Harrison, etc. seem to be professional people.

Except for religious, all Francises are Franks, and are middle aged and above.

Thomases of course, seem to be 40 or above.

quote:
Originally posted by Mama Thomas:

Thomas is back! There are lots of them in our primary school.

[Smile]

Sam (as in Samuel as well as Samantha) seems to be having a comeback too.

Posted by ArachnidinElmet (# 17346) on :

quote:
People with last names as first names, Johnson, Harrison, etc. seem to be professional people.

All the Harrison's I know (except Ford of course) are teenagers or younger.

All RCC Francises will have the middle name 'Xavier'.

I saw a regional map of names once which was very interesting. More Edwins in Northumberland; Nigels are prolific in East Anglia. Wish I could remember where I read it.

Posted by basso (# 4228) on :

I've got a very uncommon name.

When I saw a book on the shelf the other day that claims to offer 100,000 names for your baby, of course I looked for myself.

I'm not there either. (I like being that unusual!)

quote:
quote:

Thomas is back! There are lots of them in our primary school.

[Smile]

I don't think Thomas ever went away here. I know Thomases of every age, two in primary, one in secondary, one at University....

James is another ever-green name.

I don't know anyone under 40 with my name, though. It's only a matter of time before it becomes an "old lady" name.

Posted by Amos (# 44) on :

quote:

I've known several University undergraduates named 'Francis'--they'd be between 20 and 25 now. None was known as 'Frank.' Also one three-year old--also called 'Francis'.
Francis Spufford, the writer, is not a religious.

On the other hand, how old is the youngest Charles you know who has his name shortened to 'Chuck'? 55? 60?

[ 17. January 2013, 22:47: Message edited by: Amos ]

Posted by Jengie Jon (# 273) on :

I never knew anyone younger than me with my name, the nearest was about twenty years older. That was until they contracted out the cleaning at work and one of the new cleaners shares it and she is about twenty years younger than me. I wonder if their are a younger batch I am unaware of.

Jengie

Posted by blackbeard (# 10848) on :

I'm still waiting to hear from an Ursula; I assume that Ursula is a very sensible girl with a somewhat dumpy figure. Now tell me that Ursulas (?Ursulae) are slim and drop dead gorgeous, and do not at all resemble a little she-bear (am I right there?).

Meanwhile I am trying to come to terms with being an Archangel (I won't say which one, other than it's not Azrael).

quote:
Originally posted by blackbeard:
I'm still waiting to hear from an Ursula; I assume that Ursula is a very sensible girl with a somewhat dumpy figure. Now tell me that Ursulas (?Ursulae) are slim and drop dead gorgeous, and do not at all resemble a little she-bear (am I right there?).

Quite right. I'm surprised nobody's mentioned Ursula Andress yet.

Posted by piglet (# 11803) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
Chardonnay?

Only in Footballers' Wives. [Big Grin]

When I was growing up the name Karen seemed to be rather trendy (there weren't that many of them, but they were all young). A relative whose given name was Katherine (not sure if she spelt it with a K or a C) started to be known as Karen when she was in her teens, and I remember thinking that I couldn't imagine an old lady called Karen.

She's now in her mid/late 50s; maybe when she hits 60 or 70 she should go back to calling herself Katherine ...

Samanthas tend to be uniformly beautiful and generally fairly bright: I have dated them, banked with them, had my health insurance problems solved by them and taught them!

Posted by leo (# 1458) on :

In that order?

Posted by Jack the Lass (# 3415) on :

quote:
Originally posted by The5thMary:
The other day, on the local news there was a story about a woman who had been rescued by a neighbor when their apartment building burned down. The rescuer's name? Tertiary Brown (not really his last name) the II.

WHO names their child Tertiary and then names the son after the first Tertiary???

Dear God... how dreadful....

That reminded me of a student nurse who had a placement with us when I was working with district nurses, years ago. He was (I think) Nigerian, and his first name was Surgery. He said that it was very common in his neck of the woods for children to be named after a feature of the place where they were born - I don't think I've come across many people though where that tradition was taken quite so literally!

Our youngest niece and nephew both have names that I would have considered 'old people's names' (they're going to have a brother or sister in a few months' time so I don't know if the tradition will be kept up this time as well). My name was pretty common in the 1970s (in my infant school class there were 4 of us, just in the one class), but I don't think I've come across any much younger than me, so I'm wondering if (like NEQ) my name will end up as an 'old people's name' in a couple of decades' time.

Posted by Jack the Lass (# 3415) on :

Actually, thinking a bit more about my name - I have always used the contracted form, as did the others I knew, but since being in Scotland I've noticed that the women with my name are much more likely to use the full version. That really surprised me.

Some names are impossible to imagine at certain ages. A columnist admitted to naming her son 'Thurston' - which I have immense difficulty with for anyone under the age of 40. Similarly, I find it hard to visualise an elderly Jade or Kadence or Angel.

I was at a graduation 3 years ago, and there was a "Kylie" getting her PhD. I was surprised that a Kylie would be old enough for a PhD.

I tried to search the local newspaper births section for my name, and got dozens of hits! Wow! I thought, it's coming back into fashion! But no. Without exception my name appeared in each birth announcement preceded by "grandchild to...."

Posted by Zacchaeus (# 14454) on :

quote:
Some names are impossible to imagine at certain ages. A columnist admitted to naming her son 'Thurston' - which I have immense difficulty with for anyone under the age of 40. Similarly, I find it hard to visualise an elderly Jade or Kadence or Angel.

I have never heard the name Thurston at all. sound slike it should be a type of beer..

Yes, why not 'Theakston' ? It is a bit Ee ba' gum - Thon Thurston Satterthwaite's a reet mardy bugger.

On which note, I liked the observation that the tennis player Mardy Fish sounds like the successor to Angry Birds.

quote:
Originally posted by Zacchaeus:
quote:

I have never heard the name Thurston at all. sound slike it should be a type of beer..
Thurston Howe the 3rd was a character on the TV show "Gilligan's Island."

Posted by Lucia (# 15201) on :

My name comes from Greek mythology and is not that common in the UK and anyway I'm always known by the short form. However when I was growing up it irritated me that I knew a number of people who had dogs who shared the short form of my name but there was only one other girl with the same name in an all-girls school of nearly 800. I didn't like to think I sounded like I was a dog...

[ 22. January 2013, 18:59: Message edited by: Lucia ]

quote:
Originally posted by leo:
In that order?

Yes, Leo: my wife no longer lets me date strange girls - I gave up two other girlfriends for her when we were at university!

Posted by Lymasa (# 11397) on :

Naming your son Michael, in at least some parts of the US, is considered to be just asking for trouble. While they may grow up to be model citizens, while young Michaels can be counted on to be stroppy, headstrong, active, and an all-around handful and a half.

Posted by piglet (# 11803) on :

quote:
Originally posted by ChaliceGirl:
... Thurston Howe the 3rd was a character on the TV show "Gilligan's Island."

Thurston Dart was an English conductor and harpsichord player.

Posted by Jade Constable (# 17175) on :

Flicking through the hymnbook at church on Sunday (we use the New English Hymnal) I came across Athelstan Riley - if that's not a Harry Potter name I don't know what is. Speaking of Harry Potter names, JK Rowling came up with some brilliant ones. I love unusual first names with nondescript surnames.

quote:
Originally posted by Jade Constable:
. I love unusual first names with nondescript surnames.

A trick first marketed by Richardson with Pamela (Andrews), when that was an exotic name.

© Ship of Fools 2016