Thread: Fitness Race-January 2013 Board: Oblivion / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=70;t=024427

Posted by harmony hope (# 4070) on :

Just wondering if there's plans afoot for a fitness race in Jan? [Biased]

Thanks
Harmony Hope

<small>[ 11. February 2013, 06:52: Message buggered about with by: Ariston ]</small>

[ 13. February 2013, 15:37: Message edited by: Ariston ]

Posted by Tea gnome (# 9424) on :

I should join if there is.

Posted by Ariston (# 10894) on :

If there is to be a race, someone's going to need to organize it . . . and I see a perfectly good volunteered at the top of this page.

Whadya say, hh? Are we going to have one in January or not?

Posted by Jenn. (# 5239) on :

I'm in if someone else can organise!

On second thoughts, I need the motivation to move so I'll give organisation a go if people want - no promises on how quick I'll be at posting scores, particularly in the second half of the month when term restarts...

Posted by Smudgie (# 2716) on :

My attempts to get fitter were foiled by my brother and by my own illness, so I definitely need a kick up the backside to get me going again. So I'm in.

Posted by Yangtze (# 4965) on :

I'm in. And huge thanks to Jenn for volunteering to organise.

Posted by comet (# 10353) on :

I'm in, and will do better on tallying my own results to try and make it a little bit easier.

Hi Jenn, thanks everso for stepping in, have sent you pm.

Posted by Jack the Lass (# 3415) on :

For the uninitiated, what's the deal with the fitness race? Distance, time, what activity counts, etc?

This is the link to January 2012, and This should link to 2009 which has links to previous ones. Curiosity Killed did a great job of organising and the rules are in the first posts I think.
Runs on how much time you spend doing things which are reasonably active. Iirc, gardening counts, but playing a musical instrument doesn't, although I suppose that might be different if you played an entire ceilidh and danced while fiddling. If not sure we usually ask for opinions.
Hth,
Tg

Thanks Tea knome - my plan was to hunt those out this evening when I had proper computer access. Rules will be the same as Jan 2012 (i'll pop them up later).

Posted by Scots lass (# 2699) on :

I'm in! And I will try and finish this one... It'll be a handy measure of how well I'm getting back into exercise after a few weeks off.

Ok, the rules, copied straight from the Jan 2012 thread that tea knome linked to:

Those who want to take part please can you sign up here, and record the amount of time you have spent exercising from the 1st January onwards - daily / weekly / whatever is most convenient. The person who spent the most time exercising by the 31st January is the winner.

As before, the aim is to log your hours of fitness activity and watch them accumulate over the month. You can be a serious gym junkie or an occasional cyclist, the important thing is to take some time out of your month to spend being active.

The rules are simple (and almost identical to last time):

1. It has to be physical activity. It doesn't have to be overly strenuous as long as it's aerobic. After some discussion previously, house work and gardening counts, so long as it's aerobic and so serious welly is put into it, but music practice doesn't.

2. The race is based on time, rounded to the nearest minute. If you spend 5 minutes walking down the street to buy milk, it counts.

3. If you're paid to be active (eg. as a builder), you can't count time spent on your job; The rest of us need to have a chance! However, you can count active transport that gets you to work (eg. walking, running, cycling, unicycling...).

4. You can sign up whenever you like, but you can only count time spent after you sign up.

The race starts at midnight January 1 (local time) and finishes at midnight February 1 (local time).

I'll keep track of time and also of 'active days' (when you log activity)(because that's easy to do on my spreadsheet).

Have fun everyone [Smile]

Posted by ArachnidinElmet (# 17346) on :

I may regret this, but I've started working at home after spending years walking into work; my waistband is telling me I need scaring a little.

Yes please, put me on the list.

Posted by North East Quine (# 13049) on :

I'm in.

Posted by Meg the Red (# 11838) on :

Mee too, please.

Just to confirm. I'm in. (And this time I will WIN!*) although I'm also about to cancel my gym membership, so it could be a bit mixed.
Tg
*i feel the need to say this every race. I have never won. I think one year I was fifth.

Posted by Starbug (# 15917) on :

Me too, please.

Posted by Heavenly Anarchist (# 13313) on :

I'm in please, I need to get exercising again.

Posted by la vie en rouge (# 10688) on :

After a thoroughly idle winter of doing sweet Fanny Adams, I need to get back to running. I'm not expecting to rack up a particularly impressive score but it might make me do something... Hopefully I won't get too thwarted by the weather.

I'm in (now where did I put my trainers?)

Posted by Celtic Knotweed (# 13008) on :

I'm in - as usual! Aiming for an average of 1.5 hours/day or better, which will mean I have to actually do something besides commuting. Doubt I'll be in the top 5, but you never know...

Thanks for the rules of the game - yes, I think I'm in this time! Back to w*rk on the 3rd, I have quite a hefty walk to and from the station so with that and renewing my gym membership I'll hopefully have a reasonably respectable tally to show for it at the end of the month. I'll try and keep my own tally too in case it gets a bit much for Jenn.

I wonder if I can get essay marking to count towards my time? Sadly I think they're more likely to result in blood and tears than sweat.

Do your marking whilst pedalling on an exercise bike?

Posted by Sir Kevin (# 3492) on :

We walked up to the local mall yesterday: maybe I can start doing that a few days a week when I get off work early. We also have started a nearly carb-free diet and I am giving up beer and ale until I lose at least the half a stone I gained in December.

I'm in.

Posted by Mamacita (# 3659) on :

I'm in. My goal is to stick with it and finish the month.

Posted by blackbeard (# 10848) on :

I'm in too.
There's a touch of desperation here - I'm signed up for a half marathon in March and I need, oh how I need, to get a bit - a LOT - fitter before then.
Somewhere in the house are two large lumps of mud. I seem to remember that they are my trainers. They were white once. All the rain we have been having over the last 9 months or so has given us a lot of MUD; it gets everywhere.

Look, see?

Posted by SusanDoris (# 12618) on :

I was wondering whether there would be a January race! I'm in please, but if the dark, wet weather is as much inevidence as it was in December, I think my total time will be quite well down. At least today is dry and sunny, so that will mean a reasonably good start.
Many thanks toJen for taking on the organisation.

I am going to be sensible and aim for an average of half an hour a day. IN theory that should be easy to beat - in reality however.....

Let's face it, after three months of being poorly with chest infections and of having to spend more time at home preparing for interviews and looking after my brother rather than going to the gym, and after a Christmas in which there were rather too many cakes, biscuits and puddings needing dealing with (I hate waste more than waist!), even half an hour a day will be an improvement!

Started the new year as I mean to go on - 25 mins of a couch to 5k plan.

Bahaha. I'm still on the sofa in my pyjamas! Well done Jenn. for kicking off on the right foot [Smile]

1 hr 30 min

Walked. Lovely day - blue sky and sunshine.

20 mins walking and I think I'm done. It was meant to be a lovely new year family walk, but my daughter declared she needed the loo so we went to a cafe instead. Good intentions count for something right?,

60 minutes walking to and around the local nature reserve, Byron's Pool. I've taken off the time spent playing Pooh Sticks [Smile]

Posted by Scots lass (# 2699) on :

Away for New Year, so had a 20 minute swim this morning (late morning...) and 1 hour 20 minutes walking along the cliff path. Scrambling on the rocks probably doesn't count towards the total but it was fun!

So for the first day I've already got 1 hour 40 minutes which is a good start!

I had 32 minutes of constant activity, according to my pedometer. The challenge was to do 75 steps in 20 minutes, but I had to start again after a false start. Most of the activity was marching on the spot while peeling sprouts and potatoes!

The fitness race helped me decide on a non-sedentary activity for this afternoon, and although the walking was not vigorous, it was at least better than staying in bed which is how the day was heading! I think, when we subtract the standing-taking-photographs time and the indulging-in-coffee-and-*little voice-cake time, we walked for a good forty five minutes and then when we got home I thrashed the teenager on the Wii for at least fifteen minutes.

Posted by Liberty (# 713) on :

I'm in. I work a gazillion hours so time is short, but this should help motivate me! [Smile]

90 minute walk up and down a small but steep hill.

60 minutes walking on a walk I wouldn't have been on were it not for this race.

60 minutes today, walking to and from Stirling Castle (bits of it quite steep!).

Thanks so much Jenn, great to have you at the scoreboard! [Smile]

Ariston, as jenn has kindly volunteered this time I'll see what I can do next time! [Big Grin]

1 hour 45 mins walking today. Not v strenuous but moving nonetheless.

Day 1: fab beach walk - 90 mins total. [Smile]

Hi Jenn: thanks for taking this job on.
Today: 40 m runnish, with the speed of an arthritic slug; 20 m walking, so 1 h total for the day.

Posted by Angel Wrestler (# 13673) on :

Hooray!!! Thanks, Jenn!! [Overused] this is no small task.

one question - my routine is taking longer since I've had a cough. I have to pause and cough. Should I count the time for the (slower) routine, or count what it usually takes me?

that said, today's swimming routine:

with cough - 1 hour 12 minutes
without cough - 63 minutes

(ready to over this cough!)

Personally, I'd count with cough. i'll do that for now unless there are any objections?

30 mins aerobics, and 35 mins walk. So 1 hour 5 mins total for the day.

20 minutes tapdance aka walk on very bad ice. it was meant to be longer but a combination of my knee being cranky and the risk of breaking my butt turned me around in a hurry.

An ok start for me - New Year's Day constitutional in the park. I think I can count 1 hour 40 minutes walking and playing tig with my friend's daughter. (Tig should totally be revived as a game for adults, it's fantastic exercise [Big Grin] )

I think the coughing counts - one of the ironies of the race is that the fitter you get, the less time you rack up (because you do the same things faster).

60 minutes of active housework and 15 minutes aerobics.

total carried forward: 135 minutes.

[ 02. January 2013, 12:45: Message edited by: Heavenly Anarchist ]

Posted by Rosa Winkel (# 11424) on :

1st of January: 85 minutes of walking.

Was with my niece, so this included the obligatory "lifty-uppy" game.

Posted by Autenrieth Road (# 10509) on :

I'm in. My New Year's resolution is to walk 30 minutes a day. Except I skipped yesterday. I have no expectation of winning since there are always people who do incredible amounts of exercise. But keeping to my goal will be a personal victory.

So far today I have done 65 mins of walking -college, library, college, home, college, home. I hadn't realised how much it all added up! Feeling all pleased with myself [Smile]

35 min

Walk to, around and home from town. I particularly intended to buy tea and biscuits, but what with one thing and another and various distractions, I came home with quite a few other things, but no tea or biscuits!!

Day 2: 55 mins walking dogs in rain (nothing new there then [Big Grin] )

Running total: 145 mins.

Thank you Jenn!

2. I think I can claim an hour of walking today. Also 7 minutes on the unicycle.
Gives 127 minutes total.
Tg

quote:
Originally posted by Tea gnome:
2. .....Also 7 minutes on the unicycle.
Tg

[Overused]

Anyway. Back to my rather more boring activity.
Today - Up Butser Hill and return, 1 hour of (fairly strenuous) walking. (Butser Hill being as near as Hampshire gets to mountainous.)

219 minutes achieved in Day Two - we walked nearly 8 miles today! That makes a running total of 251 minutes.

Posted by Jane R (# 331) on :

I'm in.

1 Jan: 15 minutes' walk
2 Jan: 1 hour workout (weights and CV) at gym

Running total: 1 hour 15 mins

[ 02. January 2013, 18:45: Message edited by: Jane R ]

A grand total of 15 minutes strenuous activity, unless you count the hours of brain ache I suffered talking to my Dad?

Fingers crossed for better things tomorrow.

[ 02. January 2013, 18:55: Message edited by: ArachnidinElmet ]

quote:
Originally posted by blackbeard:
quote:
Originally posted by Tea gnome:
2. .....Also 7 minutes on the unicycle.
Tg

[Overused]

Anyway. Back to my rather more boring activity.
Today - Up Butser Hill and return, 1 hour of (fairly strenuous) walking. (Butser Hill being as near as Hampshire gets to mountainous.)

When I say on... By the end of the month it will be my bitch, at present, it's a bit more flailing than riding. But thanks for the props [Biased]

[ 02. January 2013, 19:03: Message edited by: Tea gnome ]

60 mins commuter walking (20+30+10) including past Buckingham Palace.

2nd January: 140 minutes of walking.

Jan 2 - 70 min walking (daily commute plus to library/store and back) and 10 mins aerobics = 80 mins.

Running total: 145 mins

January 1: 90 minutes walking, skating, and stair-climbing
January 2: My new year's resolution is to walk home from work at least three times per week until cycling weather arives. Managed to do it today, so a total of 95 minutes walking.

So I haven't done much, and it might be a few days before I do, but I'll be in eventually.

Thanks for taking this off our hands, jenn!

Yesterday I managed 50 minutes total between treadmill and weights. Today I am flu-ish so exercised the keyboard only.

Posted by To The Pain (# 12235) on :

I'm in!

Starting the January race late as ever but it won't be anywhere as good as the summer when I was dog-sitting. Perhaps I should get an imaginary dog and wander about of an evening in a bid to get minutes for the race. I also live much closer to work these days, so I'll really need to put some effort in to get anywhere near my previous times.

Thursday, January 3rd
5 mins cycling to work

Total for post: 5 minutes
Running Total: 5 minutes

Meh meh meh meeeeeeeh

Well there I was planning to get up at 7 o'clock and go running but it's so bloody dark outside. I eventually fell out of bed at 8:30.

1 hour 20 minutes walking yesterday. I may go running one day, who knows....

Meh. So there. [Razz]

Wed. Jan. 2: 30 minutes.

Not so good today:

20 minutes fairly high-speed walking around the supermarket (which is roughly the size of an aircraft hangar)

Running total: 1 hour 35 mins

(3 days in and already lagging...)

60 minutes of active housework and 15 minutes aerobics.

Running total: 210 minutes

40 mins gardening (weeding, planting and raking leaves)

Running total 2 hr 10 mins.

And another 30 mins gardening, raking leaves, and brushing up leaves.

A quick glance round the garden confirms that, provided the weather stays mild, I have hours and hours of potential gardening to do. Pity it's dark by 4.30pm.

Running total 2 hrs 40 mins.

1 hr 40 min

Gym, plus walk to and from.

January 3rd: 15 minutes of yoga. Running/walking for 50 minutes (I alternative running with walking, I guess I did 35 minutes running and 15 minutes walking. This is a good method apparently to avoid leg injuries, and anyway it's a good way to get me running as I know that I can take a walking break when I want). Later, strictly walking for an hour.

Total for today is 125 minutes.

Today managed a decent-ish run, but for only 30 minutes .
Hope to do better in future ... we shall see.

Two hours today - walking into town, then round the shops and back home again. We live approx 45 mins from the centre of town. It took longer going home because I was carrying two bales of towels.

I'm not normally this active. It's because I'm on leave: from Monday, I'll be chained to my desk again. [Frown]

yesterday was an epic town trip where I managed a grand total of 20 minutes walking fast enough to count.

today I was actually a good girl for a change and did a combo of yoga and strength training for 1 hour and 15 minutes. I'm going to feel that tomorrow.

Today 40 minutes walking plus 5 minutes unicycle and 2 minutes skipping (skipping is hard !)

Gives running total of 147 minutes

Sorry, running total 174 minutes [Hot and Hormonal]

72 minutes today, making a running total of 132 minutes (although I think I'm going to find it easier in hours and minutes, so that would be 2 hours 12 minutes)

Today: 55 mins walking and 15 mins on the wii [Smile]

Posted by Freelance Monotheist (# 8990) on :

Can I count my hours from the 1st of Jan?
If so, yesterday, walking round the shops/ up and down the Champs Elysées for about an hour, then today, 27 minutes on the cross trainer and 2 hours of sorting/putting stuff away in my recently re-floored room.

So, having entered the race in time to count all of January, I then spent the first 2 days curled up with a flu-type bug. [Frown] Was well enough today to go back to work so:
Total for today and so far is 49 minutes. Hopefully better times tomorrow!

1 hrs worth of walking into and around town, although a bus back due to haulage of groceries.
15 mins of house stuff.

Running total: 1hr 30 mins

Ah, I'm exhausted already.

Posted by Just Me (# 14937) on :

I won't join in properly - but I'm with you in spirit!

I've been mentally carrying out my own race to try to manage half an hour a day (just not-very-strenuous walking so far) but as it's taken till now to get round to checking in here I don't hold out much hope for logging my times.

Good luck everyone

J

On a day when I got told I was going to earn less for more work I can't say I was motivated to do anything but eat left over Christmas chocolate.

30 mins walking to/from work - 175 mins total

Lib

Playing hooky from work to go biking and (pretty active) fishing? Alright. I can do that.

5 hours

Day 3: 1hr 50 mins total walking time (110 mins)

Running total: 255 mins [Smile]

Thurs 3rd: 50 mins walking

This fitness race is totally not making me any more motivated. Once again failed to go running this morning (baby it's cold outside), I shall see if I can get myself out tonight. I did at least make myself walk most of the way home from work yesterday.

Yesterday 1 hour 20 minutes walking.

Tomorrow I am helping someone move house, which should rack up some useful time.

4 January: 45 minutes swimming plus 6 minutes jacks

Running total: Running total: 2 hours 36 mins

30 mins active housework and 15 mins aerobics so 45 mins

Running total 255 mins

35 min

Walk to/from M&S car park in Lymington, so that includes the hill!
My friend is an excellent bargain finder and so I now have a new jacket (anorak but just the right weight, number of pockets, etc etc) reduced from £175 to £105 and it's just what Ive been looking for for ages.

Ten minutes on the Wii yesterday. Not much, but better than nothing.

Fifty minutes walking today - conscious choice to use public transport and walk rather than taking the car, enhanced somewhat by taking a wrong turning and walking several minutes in totally the wrong direction.

Oh dear. Like la vie en rouge I am struggling with motivation. Didn't even go for a short walk at lunchtime today.

Well, tomorrow I have a dance teachers' class so maybe that will involve some activity (I don't have high hopes - while they claim to aim for 'maximum participation for maximum dancers' there's far less actual activity than the frenetic student class I usually teach). Flatmate nearly suggested that I take her out for walks as we are not dog-sitting any more but then she decided that she would rather be in her bed. Then she nearly volunteered her stuffed cat but decided she'd rather cuddle him. It's imaginary dog or nothing!

Thursday, January 3rd cont
15 mins cycling to supermarket
5 mins walking around the supermarket (counting only the bit once I was carrying all the shopping)
8 mins cycling home

Friday, January 4th
10 mins walking to work

Total for post: 38 minutes
Running Total: 43 minutes

Day 4: 55 mins total walking time

Running total: 310 mins [Big Grin]

45 minutes' swimming yesterday (still coughing, but not badly enough to have to stop)
60 minutes of "body pump" today (strength with slight cardio, though i suspect my heart rate will go up when I can add more weight). It's much more fun than just doing weights - and there's cool music!

Well done, everyone! ... and unicycle???

We have started on a low-carbohydrate diet this month which will help a good bit with weight loss.

I walked about a quarter of a mile while waiting for my Ford to get a new battery at a huge forecourt.

I expect to walk at least that on Saturday at a local dragstrip where there is a hot rod show put on by one of my colleagues from work whose wife manages a chain of restaurants that look like vintage American diners and have an appropriate menu.

Addendum: although at a leisurely pace, total time including shopping at our local Tesco would be about 25 minutes.

45 minutes spent cycling to work and back. It's woefully hilly, now I miss my old house.
Running total 219 minutes
And when I've finished being falling over I might add some unicycle.but I might not.

Just 20 minutes today - quick stroll down to the corner shop. And back again, when I realised the canned food they sold me was out of date!

Fri 4: 30 mins walking

Bit of a walk today - not feeling up to running - but about 9 miles or so I think.
Anyway, took 2 h 45 m.
Still seem to be struggling a bit, maybe recovering from universal lurgy, or could be SPOD again. Nice to see I'm not alone in this. Anyway, I feel the walk may have done some good.
Pleased with the boots - comfortable and WATERPROOF. They have been well tested, there does seem to be a lot of water around!

The scenic route to the papershop and back took 30 mins today.
Running total (so to speak): 2hrs.

83 mins total walking today (to/from home/station/work/gym plus a 10 minute walk at lunchtime), and 40 mins at the gym.

So the running total is 255 mins (or 4hrs 15 mins).

4à mins of swimming today, plus 20 mins walk to the shopping centre from the pool, then an hour walking round the shops, so running total of 4 hrs 27 mins .

January 4th: An hour of running/walking, 35 minutes of yoga and and hour and 5 minutes of walking.

130 minutes.

Posted by moonfruit (# 15818) on :

Hope I'm not too late to join in, this looks like a great idea to (maybe) get me motivated.

So, today's totals:

60 minutes walking the dog
15 minutes walking round London
15 minutes playing Dance Dance Revolution in the arcade at the Trocadero (seriously hard work!)
10 minutes cycling to the station and back.

Altogether for today: 100 minutes

90 mins walking today - to/from work, plus to the store to buy work supplies with a co-worker, so lots of ranting about the pay-cut, but I guess ranting doesn't count as exercise!

265 mins running total

quote:
Originally posted by Ariston:
Playing hooky from work to go biking and (pretty active) fishing? Alright. I can do that.

5 hours

Whoah! 5 hours!! Please! Don't go fishing any more! [Help]

quote:
Originally posted by Angel Wrestler:
quote:

5 hours

Whoah! 5 hours!! Please! Don't go fishing any more! [Help]
I almost felt like that's cheating. Then I remembered how many times I had to go chasing after a tangled fly on the other side of the river or use a particularly awkward yoga-style pose (extended arm while balanced precariously on a couple rocks above a waterfall is totally yoga, right?), and didn't feel that way at all.

Oh, and 30 minutes of walking today.

[ 05. January 2013, 03:46: Message edited by: Ariston ]

Lots of walking about today, in short bursts; I'll say 1 hour in total, giving me a running total of 3 hours 40 mins.

Day 5: 65 mins walking time plus 5 mins running (yes I got the running gear out again! [Smile] total 70 mins.

Running total: 380 mins

120 minutes walking

Running total: 375 mins

[ 05. January 2013, 15:21: Message edited by: Heavenly Anarchist ]

Previous entry should have read "lots of walking about yesterday."

Today's effort was 30 mins walking and 40 mins gardening.

Running total - 4 hrs 50mins.

45 min

Walk to (large) Tesco and back with purchases in back pack rather than buyin too much and needing a taxi!

For yesterday 55 minutes walking and finally solved my motivation problem with this (yes, I know it's crap, but that's the whole point. It is the POWER) and went for a 30 minute run.

Today between the house-moving (carrying boxes, building furniture and the like) and some walking I think I can reasonably claim 2 hours.

Now, that was a nice walk.
One and a half hours, give or take, with my boy in the Surrey Hills.
I won't add on the time we spent browsing round the antique shop too, though the boy will tell you that was three times as exhausting as the walk!

Double post in order to say that I make my running (well, meandering) total now three and a half hours

60 minutes of dog-walking, brings my total to 160 mins

Another 45 minutes of cycling to wo4& and back.

5th January: 25 minutes of yoga to start with. Then walking to and around town and back for an two hours and 10 minutes, and just now walked for a further hour and 15 minutes.

Total 225 minutes.

Two hours of walking around the shops, including lots of stair-climbing. Apparently, this week I've climbed enough stairs to get to the top of the Eiffel Tower! Now, how do I get down again..? [Big Grin]

Today, walk to parkrun, marshal which included walking round some of the course, walk back, roughly 1 h 20 m.
plus launching, rigging and retrieving boats, intermittently strenuous, so about 40 m
plus run to gym, gym, stagger back, 1 h
so total for day is 3 hours

35 mins yesterday and another 30 today

Wow, there's some interesting methods of keeping active on here. I'm almost embarrassed to say walk to the supermarket and back today = 40 mins.
Running total = 160 minutes

30 minutes on the cross-trainer, then 30 minutes' walk to work then part-way to station, plus an hour walking round the shops, bringing my total up to 6 hours 27 minutes.
Someone please check my adding up, as I'm terrible with numbers!

Thank you for motivating me to get off my couch today.

An hour running errands (except I was walking) and 20 mins aerobics.

345 minutes running total

January 3 - 90 minutes walking

January 4 - took the train home, but between pre-work and lunchtime errands, still managed to get in 75 minutes walking and stair-climbing

January 5 - Mr. Red and I decided we wanted to go skating at an outdoor rink in the river valley. Rather than drive there, we loaded skates, helmets and snowshoes into backpacks, took the train to the top of the river valley, then donned snowshoes to walk down the valley and across a golf course to the rink. We skated a while, (saw sundogs!) then reversed the process. Thanks in no small part to this thread, I got a great morning out and a total of 2 hours, 10 minutes exercise.

1 hr 40 min

Long walk.

quote:
Originally posted by Rosa Winkel:
5th January: 25 minutes of yoga to start with. Then walking to and around town and back for an two hours and 10 minutes, and just now walked for a further hour and 15 minutes.

Total 225 minutes.

By which I mean, a total of 230 minutes [Hot and Hormonal]

I'm better at walking than maths.

1 hour and 5 minutes of Zumba making my total 7 hours and 32 minutes so far!

30 mins gardening - scraping off moss.

Total -5 hours 20 mins.

Yesterday—30 minutes of dragging luggage back home, 30 more minutes of walking after I got there, for a total of 1 hour.

Today
40 m walking
36 m runningish
Total for day 1 hour 16 minutes

Today - 2 1/2 hours dog walking (long sunday afternoon walk [Smile] )
20 mins cycling to/from church.

Total for today: 170 minutes

Running total: 330 minutes

Another 30 mins gardening, and 20 min brisk walk this afternoon. Also 15 mins walking to/from church this morning.

Running total 6 hours 25 mins.

Total for today is 90 minutes - 60 minutes of walking, plus 30 minutes' vigorous vacuuming.

Sat 5th: Bit rubbish. 15 mins commuter walking. And really only that much as I got on the wrong bus so had an accidental 10 min walk.

Sun 6th: 1 hour walking. Lovely 35-40 min walk from Oval to Victoria in the mist plus bursts of commuter walking.

Day 6: 22 mins only walking - sore throat

Running total: 402 mins.

Another 45 minutes cycling.
Running total 309 minutes

90 mins walking to/from the pet store, because my class hamster deserves some treats. [Smile]

Total: 435 minutes

Just a short round trip to church today (20 mins). Bits and pieces of things, but nothing longer than a 5 minute burst so:
running total = 180 minutes.

Walk to/from work yesterday, plus a brisk walk on my coffee break - 30 minutes.

2500 yard swim today - 65 minutes (still going slow due to cough, but it's getting a little better)

RT: 273 minutes (or 4 hours 33 minutes)

Busy week at work ahead - must. stay. motivated.

bowing out, folks. this month is too busy and I haven't been keeping track of exercise. (but still doing it here and there!) good luck everyone!

Was looking forward to some competition with you.

For me, January 6th: Walked to Mass and aftewards walked back via the river. Later, went to buy beer and wine. 60 minutes of walking in total.

Sunday morning went for a thirty-five minute run (was going to be a bit less but I got to the park I wanted to run round and discovered it's closed for renovation. Boooooo.) Ran along the river instead.

Also thirty minutes walking.

4 Jan: 45 minutes swimming
5 Jan: 50 minutes gym workout
6 Jan: 30 minutes high-speed walking
7 Jan: 45 minutes swimming

Running total: 4 hours 25 minutes if my adding up is correct...

Yesterday: 30 minutes on the bike after a few weeks off, taking hills waaaayyy too hard, 42 minutes walking; 1 hour, 12 minutes total.

Sleepy, sooo sleepy. It has been a busy little weekend though, and I was giften some extra fitness minutes by a friend's car breaking down. The dancing was a bit odd in that the way we are taught to structure our lessons means that an individual dancer can cool down significantly in between exercises or dances. But there was an additional class sprung on us for Sunday, so that added another few minutes. I can really feel my calves now and walking down stairs is still not terribly enjoyable.

Friday, January 4th (cont)
10 mins walking home from work
2 mins vigorous pumping up of flatmate's bicycle tyres (to make up for being the lazy one and persuading her to go and fetch the takeaway on my bicycle)

Saturday, January 5th
150 mins dancing at teachers' class (out of the 4 hours we spent there - not sure if that is good use of the time, activity-wise)

Sunday, January 6th
60 mins dancing
25 mins walking to church
30 mins walking to town
30 mins of activity while checking out the sales etc
30 mins walking home from pub

Monday, January 7th (so far)
25 mins walking to work via the post office (because National Geographic had sent me a fleece that wouldn't fit through my letterbox - most peculiar)

Total for post: 362 minutes or 6 hours and 5 minutes
Running Total: 405 minutes or 6 hours and 45 minutes

January 7th: Last night after a party I walked a friend to the tram stop and back. That was ten minutes. Today I walked to the tram to get myself to the divine liturgy and afterwards walked home, treating myself to a Falafel burger at the vegan cafe. Walked for 55 minutes.

Total: 65 minutes.

15 mins aerobics and 30 mins active housework.
Running total 420 mins.

[ 07. January 2013, 16:57: Message edited by: Heavenly Anarchist ]

Today, thought it was about time I did a longish run. Turned out to include a fair amount of walking, possibly because I was a bit knackered to begin with! Anyway, mixture of running and walking, 2 h 24 minutes.

This cold has really knocked me on my backside. I managed 30 min on the treadmill today, for a whopping total of 1 h 20 min.

69 minutes walking to and from home/station/work. So my running total is 324 minutes (or 5 hours 24 minutes)

2 hours walking.

I had a horrendous cold before and over Christmas which has failed to go away entirely, I'm still not feeling 100%. So I'm pretty proud I managed to force myself to go out for a walk rather than sit and sulk on the sofa. Couldn't face doing anything more strenuous though and even that tired me out. So tired of feeling unwell.

50 min

Walk to/from town; swimming this evening (to/from by taxi)

40 mins walking.
Running total 7 hours 5 mins.

Finally kicked Sandemaniac off my computer to do a catch-up post.

January 4th: 7 minutes walking from carpark to main site and back; about 45 minutes ringing that evening at my Friday tower. Total for day 52 minutes.

January 5th: 17 minutes bike home to town; 10 minutes walk to restaurant (after some leisurely shopping); 16 minutes cycling to parental abode; 15 minutes cycling home. Total of 58 minutes for the day. Not sure about counting the dancing later that night at a wedding anniversary party, as it wasn't overly strenuous...

January 6th: 10 minutes walking up to church; 15 minutes ringing; 10 minutes walking back. The rest of the day was housework, but not very active as I was mending things and helping put decorations away. Total for the day of 35 minutes.

January 7th: 30 minutes bike to work; 13 minutes getting to the pool; only 10 minutes swimming (wimped out after 8 lengths due to exhaustion); 20 minutes homewards. Total for today is 1 hour 13 minutes.

New running total 4 hours 27 minutes.

Yangtze, if you've still got a bad cold, then a 2 hour walk is pretty good going! Just keep on and encourage the cold to drop off somewhere on a walk. [Biased]

40 minutes pulling staples out of the stairs, in preparation for the new carpet that will arrive on Friday.

50-ish minutes of dog walking
10 minutes to the station

60 minutes for today

Total: 390 minutes.

38 minutes of swimming today, so new total of 8 hours 10 minutes.

Mon. Jan. 7: 50 minutes walking.

I'm not doing very well at my New Year's resolution, but I'm also having a leg problem that often makes walking painful. Bah humbug.

quote:
Originally posted by Celtic Knotweed:

Yangtze, if you've still got a bad cold, then a 2 hour walk is pretty good going! Just keep on and encourage the cold to drop off somewhere on a walk. [Biased]

Oh the worst part of the cold is over - when that was happening I could barely make it round the block. Now I 'just' have a lingering cough, blocked ears and slightly swollen glands. And a general feeling of 'I've done three things today I can't possibly manage any more, where's the sofa'.

54 minutes of walking today.

1½ hrs of walking into and around town today.

Running total = 270 minutes

Went for a walk between school and PTA meeting tonight, and saw a gorgeous fawn and a fox. Walking total 80 minutes.

515 minutes overall total so far

(edited to make it make more sense!)

[ 08. January 2013, 00:55: Message edited by: Liberty ]

Yesterday I walked for 1 hour 10 minutes and moved furniture about (orchestra rehearsal in a school dining room - the tables have to go somewhere else) for 5 minutes.

1 hr 45 min

Gym, plus walk to/from.

30 mins on school runs and 60 mins walking (including lugging a trolley and bag back from Waitrose).
Running total 510 mins

Couple of boring days so not much to report.

Monday, January 7th (cont)
5 mins walking at lunchtime
10 mins walking home

Tuesday, January 8th (so far)
10 mins walking to work

Total for post: 30 minutes
Running Total: 435 minutes or 7 hours and 15 minutes

I think I'll have to go home the long way around...

90 mins walking, plus I climbed up to the fourth floor of a building, when I'd usually take the lift. The stairs were more of a challenge than they ought to be. [Hot and Hormonal]

Running total 8 hours 35 mins.

Today 34 minutes running.

84 minutes walking today. Running total 408 minutes (6 hours 48 minutes, I think).

A rather rubbish 20 mins today. Feeling extremely tired for some reason, so instead of a doing smething active I had a very satisfying mid afternoon nap. [Big Grin]

Running total: 290 minutes

Just 30 minutes today, walking into town and back at lunchtime.

Sorry guys, I'll have updates for you tomorrow when I have my proper computer to hand. Meanwhile I did 65 mins yesterday and 85 mins today - pretty much all walking.

60 minutes of walking today, running various errands.

Running total: 450 minutes.

Day 8: 60 mins walking. Nothing yesterday - dreaded lurgy thingy laid me low. [Frown]

Running total: 462 mins (I think!)

Thanks Jenn [Smile]

30 minutes on the cross-trainer today and 20 mins of walking, so new total of 9 hours, yay! That's 540 minutes, right?

Just my (very short) commute today - 30 min walk.

So, 545 mins total

January 6 - 2 hours, 5 minutes walking to the library, mall and grocery store
January 7 - 1 hour, 35 minutes walking
January 8 - 1 hour, 20 minutes walking

1 hour, 7 minutes walking today.

1 hour 45 minutes walking yesterday.

School runs 30 mins walking, aerobics 20 mins

Running total 560 mins

OK, a query - Jane R - you have two totals for Jan 4th and I'm confused. COuld you let me know what the total for that day should be please?

Also realised I hadn't posted anything for Sunday - only 20 mins that day for me

Here are the standings up to the end of Jan 8ths posts

1. Rosa Winkle 13h 25m
2. Meg the Red 13h
3: la vie en rouge 12h 30m
4: blackbeard 12h 29m
5. starbug 11h 11m
6. Ariston 9h 43m
7. Susan Doris 9h 20m
8. Liberty 9h 5m
9. Freelance Monotheist 9h
10. North East Quine 8h 35m
11. heavenly anarchist 8h 30m
12. harmony hope 7h 42m
13. moonfruit 7h 30m
14. To The Pain 7h 15m
15. Jenn R 6h 55m
16. Yangtze 6h 50m
17. Jack the Lass 6h 48m
18. teagnome 5h 09m
19. ArachnidinElmet 4h 50m
20. Angel Wrestler 4h 32m
21. Jane R 4h 31m
22. Celtic Knotweed 4h 27m
23. Smudgie 3h 30m
24. Comet 1h 55m
25. Scots Lass 1h 40m
26. Autenreith Road 1h 20m
27. Mamacita 1h 20m
28. Sir Kevin 25m

[ 09. January 2013, 13:21: Message edited by: Jenn. ]

SOrry - those totals are up to la vie en rouge's last post. Any queries, just tell me and I'll recheck - I have almost certainly made errors [Smile]

Sorry, I forgot I'd already posted my total for January 4th, but on rechecking my figures it was wrong anyway - should have been 5 minutes jacks.

Here is my update for yesterday and today (and I'll try not to get confused again):

Jan 8: 30 minutes high-speed walking PLUS 50 minutes workout at gym
Jan 9: 10 minutes high-speed walking plus 2 minutes jacks

Previous total (adjusted): 4 hours 30 minutes

NEW TOTAL: 6 hours 2 minutes

I did walk home the long way around, but picked up shortbread as it was heavily reduced, thereby cancelling out the good effort. Tonight I shall gain a few minutes going in and out of town (hence the bicycle) to see a movie.

All in all it looks like I shall be relying on my weekends to up my activity quotient - pity I have a fairly lazy one planned this week.

Tuesday, January 8th (cont)
30 mins walking home from work via the shop

Wednesday, January 9th (so far)
5 mins cycling to work

Total for post: 40 minutes
Running Total: 475 minutes or 7 hours and 55 minutes

I think I'll have to go home the long way around... [/QB][/QUOTE]

35 min

Long way round walk to Tesco, taxi home.
Thanks, jenn, for keeping score.

for myself for today: 15 mins to college, 20 min walk at lunch, 15 mins home and then realised I'd lost my phone and spent 40 mins walking to college to find it and then to the shops with a friend. total 90 mins for the day.

30 minutes of walking again for me - across the park and back again at lunch time.

40 minutes of swimming today, so new total of 9 hours 40 minutes (580 minutes).

80 minutes walking today. New total is 488 minutes (or 8 hours 8 minutes, I think).

Thanks for keeping track of everyone Jenn.

January 8th, just 1 hour 2 minutes commuting.

January 9th, 32 minutes getting to work. Discovered a puncture in the evening, so Sandemaniac brought the car over to get me home. I'm going to claim 10 minutes worth of hard work manoeuvring a bike in our hallway to fix a back puncture and pumping both tyres up afterwards. Interspersed with much cursing of broken glass in the road... Oh, and 2 minutes nipping over to the local shop. Total of 44 minutes for the day.

New running total 6 hours 13 minutes.

[Edit for grammar/spelling]

[ 09. January 2013, 20:21: Message edited by: Celtic Knotweed ]

I'm dropping out: I am teaching school these days and most of these schools have no stairs so I am going on an Atkins Diet with my wife instead. Thanks for listening...

Tues 8: pretty much nothing but I'm going to claim 10 mins to cover some squats, some arm whirling & a bit of moderately energetic housework. When feeling rubbish every little effort counts right.

Weds 9: 60 mins walking. Mainly commuter bursts of 10 mins but there is a 30 min walk in there too.

Yesterday 1 hour 10 minutes commuter walking. Wanted to go a bit further but it was raining.

I have been out of Internet range for a few days, so
Monday 7th. Various walking (the 'scenic route' not lost, scenic) 65 minutes plus log shifting 45 minutes

Tuesday 8th 30 minutes vigorous housework

Wednesday 40 minutes walking

Total this post. 180 minutes.
Back later for today's.
By the way, has anybody seen Curiosity killed... lately? I've missed her in this thread.
Tg

An hour and 10 minutes of Zumba this morning, making my new total 10 hours and 50 minutes, or 650 minutes!
I'll have a bit of walking to add this evening too.

A 60 minute walk this morning and I'll be spending 30 mins walking during the school runs so 90 mins.
Running total 650 mins

Yesterday - 30 mins walking.
Today, headed out into the front garden to do 20 mins, and spent an hour there, 40 mins of which was chatting to passing neighbours....
So, 20 mins gardening.

Running total 9 hours 5 mins.

January 8th: 15 minutes of yoga 5 and 50 minutes of running/walking. 65 minutes in total.

January 9th: 35 minutes of yoga and 40 minutes of walking. 75 minutes in total.

Which gives a total of 840 minutes, which is 14 hours so far (not including today).

Man, I am really going to struggle to keep my daily average above 60 minutes. Actually, that's my daily average over the whole of the month so far. The daily average since the 3rd, when I started counting, is a bit better and just squeaks over the line. So I guess I'm aiming for 31 hours of activity over the whole month.

Wednesday, January 9th (cont)
10 mins cycling to town
15 mins walking around town
15 mins cycling home

Thursday, January 10th (so far)
15 mins walking to work

Total for post: 55 minutes
Running Total: 530 minutes or 8 hours and 50 minutes

Only 40 mins walking and tidying between yesterday and today. Think I'll need some creative plans for activity over the weekend.

Running total=330 minutes

Yesterday: 1 hour walking, 19 minutes, 43 seconds of housecleaning that might actually count, and 17 seconds of very athletic sneezing thanks to all the dust the housecleaning raised.

Yesterday: Nowt (actually fairly active but nothing that could reasonably be called aerobic), but
Today. Runningish. 1 hour 53 minutes. OK so wasn't fast, but it's a start. Two months now to get sorted for half marathon. Some way to go yet, but target is in sight.

1 hr 35 min

An hour's tap dancing, plus walk to; plus walk to town and back later.

60 mins of active housework (sweeping, scrubbing, carrying, etc)
Running total 710 minutes

Day 9: 15 mins walking only I'm afraid due to nasty cough - dogs not very impressed either [Biased]

Day 10: 45 mins walking in spite of cough and even uphill for half of it - dogs more impressed!

Running total: 522 mins (I think!)

Thanks Jenn

Running total: 462 mins (I think!)

Thanks Jenn

Thurs 10: 60 mins commuter walking (including 2 x 20 min bursts)

Jenn - I make mine 7 hrs 20 at the point you did the count (I'd posted 1-7 Jan at that point, 8th came later)

quote:

1st Jan 1 hour 45 mins
2nd Jan 60 mins commuter walking
Thurs 3rd: 50 mins walking
Fri 4: 30 mins walking
Sat 5th: 15 mins commuter walking.
Sun 6th: 1 hour walking.
7th Jan 2 hours walking.

85 minutes mostly commuter walking (it also includes a 10 minute constitutional round the block after lunch to wake myself up - I do that most days), plus 35 minutes at the gym (which was a real effort today). So I make my running total now 608 minutes or 10 hours 8 minutes.

30 minutes walking again.

[ 10. January 2013, 19:22: Message edited by: Starbug ]

10 minutes of walking today so 11 hours total, or 700 minutes .

75 minutes walking today
Running total 564 minutes I think.
Or nine hours 24 minutes I think.

9th: 30 minutes of gym (too busy to do much more..grr)
10th: 30 minutes of various walking. 40 minutes of active participation in dance lesson I was teaching.

Total for both days: 100 minutes.

Total to date: 550 mins

Yangtze - I'll check it this evening [Smile] thanks for the heads up.

Yesterday 75 mins walking to and fro and today 35 mins walking so far and 60 mins pilates class [Smile] First one ever, and I enjoyed it.

There had been some talk of swimming this evening, but I think that has fallen by the wayside. And most of what I have planned for the weekend is fairly sedentary. This could be very tough. I know it was summer, but I find it crazy to contemplate the fact that I usually managed to do at least an hour of dog-walking per day back in July. I wonder how much difference it made to my productivity...

Thursday, January 10th (cont)
15 mins walking to bus stop and from bus to dance class
45 mins dancing

Friday, January 11th (so far)
10 mins walking to work

Total for post: 80 minutes or 1 hour and 20 minutes
Running Total: 610 minutes or 10 hours and 10 minutes

1 hr 55 min

Gym plus walk to/from, plus to/from town later.

Although we were at Wisley for about three hours, my friend and I, there was rather a lot of "cafe" time involved and I think, in all conscience, that I can only claim about thirty minutes walking towards my fitness race score.
On the other hand, I appeased my conscience by walking instead of driving to the post office afterwards, which took me a further thirty minutes

55 minutes walking, and 56 minutes on the bike, for one hour, 51 minutes.

30 mins walking (school runs) and 20 mins active Pilates.
Running total 760 mins

January 10th: 1 hour and 10 minutes of yoga and 55 minutes of running/walking.

125 minutes in total.

January 11th: An hour of running/walking. 35 minutes of yoga and then an hour and 25 minutes of walking.

180 minutes in total.

I have to admit, my legs are aching, what with the intense yoga, running and walking.

January 10 1 hour commuting.
January 11 1 hour 3 minutes commuting.

Total for post, 2 hours 3 minutes, new running total 8 hours 16 minutes. Doubt I'll get much exercise over the weekend due to other things that will be happening, and a lot of the rest of the month may be low on activity too [Roll Eyes] . I'm dropping my target to averaging 1 hour a day or better, as I have a remote hope of reaching that!

[ 11. January 2013, 17:42: Message edited by: Celtic Knotweed ]

Just 30 minutes walking today.

quote:
Originally posted by blackbeard:
Just 30 minutes walking today.

And the same for me.

80 minutes walking for me today. Running total 688 minutes (11 hours 28 minutes).

Up and down Conic Hill, plus errands 115 minutes.

Running total 679 minutes.

Sorry had 2 running totals somehow on my last post but think it should be:

Running total: 522 mins at end of Day 10

Now for today -

Day 11: 45 mins walking on beach (dogs much happier) but not longer as still feeling rough

Hoping for more tomorrow! [Biased]

20 min on treadmill yesterday and 30 min today for s running total of 2 h 10min

30 minutes of various walking, cycling etc around the place today.

Total 580 minutes.

Yesterday 1 hour 5 mins commuter walking.

Today walked all the way home, via the big sports shop where the sale is CRAP and they haven't discounted any of the good stuff [Disappointed] - 2 hours.

45 minutes of swimming today and 25 minutes of walking, so 1 hour 10 mins to add to my total, bringing it up to 12 hours and 10 minutes, or 730 minutes.

quote:
Now for today -

Day 11: 45 mins walking on beach (dogs much happier) but not longer as still feeling rough

Sorry making a mess of this (cold making me fuzzy-headed) so think running total at end of Day 11 should be: 567 mins.

30 mins of walking today, though it did terminate in a visit to the pub (diet coke only).

Running total: 360 minutes

Today, the weather le sucked. 20 minutes riding the bike running errands, and an hour spent cleaning it.

Today I forgot to look at my watch at the allotment, so will have be approximate, but as we arrived there as the 11 o'clock news was just starting on the radio, and I noticed it was 1.15pm in the car on the way home I'm going to say 2 hours actual digging (and oh boy can I feel it now!). That makes my total 808 minutes or 13 hours 28 minutes.

I'll put today's short time on to tomorrow's.

Thursday 10th: 10 minutes walking
Friday 11th: 30 minutes walking plus 1 hour 5 minutes at gym

Today has not been a good day... not even any vigorous housework.

New total: 7 hours 47 minutes

I did rather better today,not being stuck in the office. Unfortunately, the weather was dreadful and I got soaked while out walking. I spent an hour doing housework and another 1.5 hours walking (and getting wet!), giving a total for today of 2.5 hours .

Today, runnish to parkrun, run, slow runnish back. parkrun time was a bit slow but I think I'm still recovering from a couple of days ago, so things should improve. 1 h 10 m.
Plus, didn't actually go sailing today but did help others to sail - nasty cold wet blustery day. Heigh ho, we think the lake may be frozen next week. Mostly not strenuous, but some heaving around/launching/retrieving of boats which contain about 4 cwt of lead ballast plus some getting people in/out of boats. Call it about 30 m. Memo to Some People: coming into jetty with the wind behind you, and with full sail up, can be Exciting, but please don't.

So a total of 1 hour 40 minutes.

30 minutes training crossly (on the cross-trainer) then 50 minutes of walking to work, from work towards station, turning round and going into the village centre to get what I needed, so 1 hour 20 minutes to add to my total, making it up to 13 hours and 40 minutes ( 820 minutes?).

30 min on treadmill for overall total of 2h40min

Trying to catch up with posting:
Weds, Jan 9: 40 min walk and 10 min aerobics = 50 mins
Thurs, Jan 10: 35 min walk
Fri, Jan 11: 45 min walk
Sat, Jan 12: 90 min walk and 20 min aerobics = 110 mins

Total 785 mins

Now to *not* nap...

January 12th: To start the day I did something different to mix things up a bit, something based on BodyRock and the old training I used to do in uni for football: Minute bursts of various exercises (star jumps, push ups, sit-ups) mixed with three minute bursts of running on the spot and shadow boxing. Actually the shadow boxing got me much more tired than the running. Anyway, I did that for 25 minutes.

Later shopping and a walk brought me an hour and 40 minutes of walking.

125 minutes in total.

Just 30 mins today as I was with with my Mum, walking to the Farmers' Market only for it to have been cancelled. [Frown]

Running total: 390 minutes

Please add an extra 10 minutes of walking to today due to an unexpected trip to the grocery store (to buy vegetables no less!).

So... 795 minutes total

[ 12. January 2013, 22:04: Message edited by: Liberty ]

A little catching up:
January 9 - 60 minutes walking
January 10 - 55 minutes walking and stair-climbing
January 11 - 75 minutes walking
Today - feeling not-so-chipper today, so only 15 minutes walking to the grocery store

Today—Two hours, fifteen minutes on the bike (about thirty-seven miles altogether—not the 85-100 mile ride at a 17-20 MPH pace I really thought about doing, though!), and 40 minutes walking to run errands, for a daily total of 2 hours, 55 minutes.

Today another 1 hour at the allotment, and a further 8 minutes (every little counts) walking to and from the newsagents. So I make that a running total of 876 minutes or 14 hours 36 minutes.

1 hr 50 min

Long walk this morning plus short one yesterday.

Today
Walk 45 m
Run 35 m
so total for today is 1 hour 20 minutes

quote:
Originally posted by Meg the Red:
Today - feeling not-so-chipper today, so only 15 minutes walking to the grocery store

Hope you (and the others who are feeling under the weather) get on the mend soon.

Today I walked for 15 minutes to church, and afterwards walked via the river, seeing as it has snowed and things are looking quite nice. To my surprise it took me 25 minutes to get back, I presume because I was walking slower due to the snow.

Later went out with my wife to check out a new Fair Trade coffee cafe, checking out some German and Polish-era houses along the way. All in all (minuses a few minutes for buying stuff and standing looking at buildings and a church) we walked for 1 hour and 10 minutes.

110 minutes in total.

1 hour of walking today, some of which was actually power walking! I surprised myself there!

Today: 20 mins aerobics and 55 mins walking to the movie theater (that makes up for all the gummy bears, right?). 75 minutes exercise today.

Total 870 minutes.

70 minutes of walking, bringing my total up to 14 hours and 50 minutes ( 890 minutes?).

Walk to church, plus some fairly vigorous cleaning = 30 mins.

Running total = 420 minutes

Hour and 25 minutes cycling (well, 1:24:32, but who, besides my ride tracker, is really counting?), and, just to make it even, 5 minutes walking/being late to church this morning.

whew! what a week! overtime at the primary job, plus the secondary job started back up and there was a meeting with my volunteer job. Plus the nagging cough - and a backache! (violins playing)

But....

Put me down for

Monday - walking 22 minutes (to work and back plus a short walk on break - this was the worst day of the backache)

Tuesday - walking about 15 minutes, all told, to work and back plus walking a short way to lunch

Wednesday - walking 12 minutes, to work and back.

Thursday - 12 minutes walking (work and back)

Friday - 12 minutes walking, plus 10 minutes swimming.

Saturday - 20 minutes walking (work and back, plus short walks during breaks)

Sunday - 47 minutes swimming.

Weeks' total: 135 minutes, or 2 hours, 15 minutes.

Running total: 6 hours 48 minutes.

Good work, everyone!

Maybe I can catch up a bit now that my work schedule is more reasonable and my back feels better..... (but I think I'm going to have to go to the doctor about this damned cough)

oh, and, yes, that is correct - 10 minutes of swimming on Friday ... I teach swimming and since we don't count our work exercise, and since after a couple hours in the pool I'm quite waterlogged and ready to be dry - I only did my warm-up routine, which is 10 minutes.

No, I didn't bother to get into my bathing suit, swim for only 10 minutes and get out again and have to shower off the chlorine.

[ 14. January 2013, 01:33: Message edited by: Angel Wrestler ]

Horrible horrible weather all weekend. Braved it and got soggy on Saturday. Felt pretty crap on Sunday so avoided like an avoidy thing.

Friday, January 11th (cont)

Saturday, January 12th
20 mins walking to and from post office to collect a parcel (including a minute of skipping at flatmate's request)
40 mins walking to and from charity shop and cheesemonger
30 mins walking to town for cinema

Sunday, January 13th
25 mins walking to and from supermarket
10 mins of waving my arms (and plastic sword) about like a lunatic trying to kill orcs in a strange little set-top game once I'd looked out of the window and decided against a walk.

Total for post: 135 minutes or 2 hours and 15 minutes
Running Total: 745 minutes or 12 hours and 25 minutes

Saturday 30 minutes walking (including a mad dash to the supermarket for a forgotten ingredient - VERY aerobic) and 30 minutes running.

Sunday 1 hour 25 minutes walking, also 15 minutes cleaning and womanhandling the Christmas tree downstairs.

It's... what's the technical term? oh yeah, *bloody freezing* here today, so not sure how much outdoorsy exercise I'm going to get this week if it keeps this up.

75 mins of walking today
Running total 835 mins

Fri 11: 40 mins walking
Sat 12: 30 mins mixture of commuter walking and dancing manically with my goddaughters
Sun 13: Finally some decent exercise: 5 hours 20 mins mainly a nice fairly vigorous country walk but also a bit of commuter walking.

Also realised that having had the lurgy for over a month means I'm really not very fit, some of the (pretty gentle) hills (well short slopes) left me out of breath. I really need to step up with this race and do other things beyond commuter walking.

Update from me:

12 January (Saturday): 30 minutes swimming (I shouldn't have been so quick to write it off)

13 January (Sunday): 1 hour folk dancing

14 January (Monday): 40 minutes gym plus 10 mins walking

NEW TOTAL: 9 hours 17 minutes (I think)

Today
run to gym, gym, stagger back, 1 hour 35 minutes.

Blackbeard, knackered

January 14th: Went running/walking. One would think that the running to walking ratio would increase, but snow (falling as I was running, which was a mixed experience) slowed me down, due to me having to lift my legs higher and watch out where I was running, so as usual I ran/walked for an hour. Still, the snow looks nice/covers the dog shite and rubbish so it's more enjoyable.

Walking to the shops and back was 15 minutes. Then did a yoga session (should anyone be interested, I more or less follow this Power Yoga routine three times a week; I can't do all the poses very well) and a few other exercises (I have a weak upper back) and other yoga poses for 45 minutes.

120 minutes in total.

12th: 90 minutes of various walking round London, cycling about, etc.

13th: 20 minutes of cycling to/from church

14th: 25 minutes of walking to/from station.

Running total: 715 minutes.

1 hr 15 min

40 min walk a.m. and 35 min swimming p.m.

11th - 30 mins walking.
12th & 13th - in bed with a good book, doing a bit of shivering and a small amount of retching - perhaps the shivering and retching can count for 5mins exercise all told?
14th- lovely walk in crisp weather to an outdoor gym, trying out all the various bits of equipment and then a bit more walking - 90 mins.

Running total - 11 hours 10 mins.

Today's totals are 87 minutes walking (mostly commuter walking, plus to and from the gym from work), and 32 minutes in the gym (would have been longer, but it's the start of term so the students are all just back and it was heaving and really difficult to get on any of the machines).

Running total 995 minutes (16 hours 35 minutes I think).

[ 14. January 2013, 20:10: Message edited by: Jack the Lass ]

40 mins of swimming and 1 hour of walking, so new total of 990 minutes (I think).

35 mins worth of buying a paper and random exercise.

Running total = 455 minutes

Saturday 45 ,imputed cycle to work and back,
Sunday, 22 minutes cycle to work, then 25 minutes walk to the pub.
Today an hour and 45 minutes walking to pick up my bike, then cycling and walking (scary traffic!) home via the supermarket.
Total this post 197 minutes.
Running total . I think. 724 minutes
12 hours 4minutes. But I'm not totally sure.
Tg

Some of yesterday's walking was kind of long and slow but I'm counting it all, dammit, because it involved a great big hill*, I had a cello on my back and it was snowing. 'Twas not fun. 1 hour 10 minutes.

*Going down the hill was worse than going up. It was all covered in slippery wet snow and making it down in one piece was kind of a mission [Help]

quote:
Originally posted by Freelance Monotheist:
40 mins of swimming

People may think I'm fit due to my running/yoga/walking times, but I'm terrible at swimming, and therefore have respect for anyone who can swim for 40 minutes. I don't think you were going non-stop for that period, but one length and I'm puffing. I can't do breaststroke and front-crawl is my limit (apart from the easy back-crawl).

40 minutes swimming would exhaust me, while running is dead easy. Speaking of which, I have just got back from running, but will put my total for today later.

20 mins low impact aerobics, 30 mins walking and 60 mins vigorous housework (bending, scrubbing surfaces and running up and downstairs carrying things)
Running total 945 mins

Today (15th): 50 minutes walking

New total: 10 hours 7 minutes

I'll try to do some tallying up this evening for week two - there will be results either tonight or tomorrow morning (you guys did lots of exercise while I wasn't looking!)

In the mean time - my totals are
Sat 12th - 0 mins [Frown]
Sun 13th - 30 mins walking
mon 14th - 30 mins walking
Tues 15th - 2hrs 10 mins (so far) (walking + pilates)

Yesterday: the usual 55 minute walk to work.

[2 hr 10 min

Gym plus walk to/from; plus to town and back later.

Snow! Sadly for the purpose of the fitness race, that doesn't make my walk to work and slower, although it does make it a fraction harder (used to make 5-10 mins worth of difference from the old flat). At least I shall have to head home the long way around, via the shop.

I spent this morning heaving documents around, hole-punching and bringing things up and down from shelves, but unfortunately that was all at work. I'm sure I will feel it later on this evening or in the morning.

Monday, January 14th
10 mins walking to work
15 mins walking home from work via a postbox
5 mins of activity moving furniture/doing housework

Tuesday, January 15th
10 mins walking to work

Total for post: 45 minutes
Running Total: 790 minutes or 13 hours and 10 minutes

Nothing, either yesterday or today, because I had to stay in the office. [Frown]

82 minutes walking today. Running total is 1077 minutes or 17 hours 57 minutes.

45 mins of walking. Would have been more, but heels + cold = no feeling in feet.

15 mins random exercise.

Running total = 515 minutes

1 hour of walking today, bringing my total up to 1050 minutes.

January 15: An hour of running/walking (saw a goldfinch and 16 fieldfare while doing so) and 30 minutes of yoga.

90 minutes in total.

Yesterday and today:
30 minute walk and a 20 minute aerobics.
So, 50 x 2 = 100 minutes.

Perhaps, potentially, probably, maybe, my total is 970 minutes.

Monday - Swimming - 50 minutes

Tuesday - "Hi Lo" aerobics - 65 minutes

1 hr 55 minutes today

(oops! I forgot my running total - be right back)

6 hrs 48 minutes plus 1 hr 55 minutes

(PLUS a walk home from work - 10 minutes)

RT 8 hours, 55 minutes

Another measly 55 minutes for me. Durn rain keeping me from being Good.

20 mins aerobics today plus 30 mins walking (school runs) makes 50 mins

Running total 995 mins

Walking - 1 hr.

Running total - 12 hrs 10 mins.

(I went to the library today to borrow a keep-fit DVD, but everyone else had had the same idea ahead of me, and there were only 4 left to choose from. So I chose the one on "exercises you can do while sitting in an armchair." [Biased] )

Yesterday, 35 m walking and 1 h running so 1 hour 35 minutes for the day;
today, 1 hour 40 minutes Coarse Gardening which included Extreme Pruning;

so total for this post, both days, is 3 hours and 15 minutes.

January 16: An hour and 10 minutes of walking here and there. Just done a power yoga session followed by other exercises and a bit of housework for a total of 55 minutes.

125 minutes in total.

40 minutes playing ping-pong and 10 minutes of walking, so new total of 1100 minutes

35 minutes of random exercise, possibly more if I'm feeling energetic later on, but I'll add that to tomorrow's total.

Running total = 550 minutes

73 minutes walking today. So my running total is 1150 minutes or 19 hours 10 minutes.

Ok, Results late again [Frown]

Before I do, here are my times.

Yesterday - extra 15 mins walking

Today - 50 mins walking and I'm counting 30mins of climbing and falling and climbing again. I'm rubbish at it, but it still counts as exercise!

OK, results as they stand:

I've tried to check everyone's totals against their own calculated running totals and where they disagree mine has been higher, so I've decided I'm probably right (because I'm nice like that, and because I have done my best to check each individual and I can't find the errors). If there are queries, please post them!

1. Rosa Winkle 30h 20m
2. blackbeard 22h 42m
3: la vie en rouge 20h 35m
4: Ariston 19h 29m
5. Jack the Lass 19h 10m
6. Susan Doris 18h 40m
7. Freelance Monotheist 18h 20m
8. heavenly anarchist 16h 35m
9. Meg the Red 16h 25m
10. starbug 16h 11m
11. Liberty 16h 10m
=12. Jenn R 16h
=12. Yangtze 16h
14. teagnome 14h 36m
15. To The Pain 13h 10m
16. North East Quine 12h 30m
17. moonfruit 11h 55m
18. Jane R 10h 57m
19. harmony hope 9h 27m
20. ArachnidinElmet 9h 10m
21. Angel Wrestler 8h 57m
22. Celtic Knotweed 8h 16m
23. Smudgie 4h 30m
24. Mamacita 2h 40m
25. Comet* 1h 55m
26. Scots Lass 1h 40m
27. Autenreith Road 1h 20m
28. Sir Kevin* 25m

* = retired from race

I'm really impressed by 22 of us averaging over 30 mins a day [Smile] Well done guys [Smile]

Thanks for keeping the scores, Jenn!

My total today is 1 hour of walking.

Thanks a lot for your work, Jenn [Smile] I appreciate it.

Please note, by the way, the spelling of my name. My name isn't an English language one.

Thanks for posting totals, Jenn!

Jan 13: 90 minutes
Jan 14: 75 minutes
Jan 15: 65 minutes
Jan 16: 45 minutes

Thanks for posting totals, Jenn!

Holy COW it's cold here at the minute. Which is kind of a bugger because I'd feel better if I got some proper cardio exercise, but it's just too arctic for it. So only walking's really possible at the minute - 1 hour 15 minutes on Wednesday and 1 hour 20 minutes yesterday.

Thank you Jenn [Smile]
30 mins walking, 30 mins active housework and 20 mins aerobics so 80 mins today.
I'm also finding the cold to be curtailing me. I desperately want to go for a nice long walk for a couple of hours but it is far too cold!
Running total 1075 hours

Decidedly pathetic total yesterday. So much work at such tight deadlines that I ate lunch at my desk and was in the office until 7.

Tuesday, January 15th (cont)
30 mins walking home from work via the shop

Wednesday, January 16th
10 mins walking to work

Thursday, January 17th (so far)
10 mins walking to work

Total for post: 60 minutes
Running Total: 850 minutes or 14 hours and 10 minutes

Mon 14th: 45 mins walking to church meeting and back

Tues 15th: 1 hour 30 mins walking. One hour of a solid walk plus 3 x 10 mins commuter walking

Weds 16th: 1 hour 40 mins walking. 30 min walk, 2 x 20 walk to evening event, rest was commuter walking.

Yesterday: no walking because the weather was shittastic, but 15 minutes of shuffling and reshuffling office furniture (if you'd seen the ginormous new Desk of Doom we got, you'd be impressed with me moving it too!), and, oh, about 1 hour in the glass studio that probably actually counts.

Today 54 minutes running.

I was wearing shorts and someone asked if I was cold; I could truthfully answer "no". An advantage of hairy legs.

Yesterday (16th): 20 minutes walking
Today (17th): 1 hour 10 mins at gym

New total: 12 hours 27 minutes

Just 35 mins of cleaning today. I need to wear in my new (and grippier) boots before long walks in the snow and the cold is sapping my will to do anything useful. Maybe if the snow keeps going I might make a snowman tomorrow?

Running total = 9hrs 45 mins

10 minutes of walking today, which is craptastic, but better than nothing, I suppose!

47 minutes walking today. Normally my commuter walking is around 70 minutes, but it was so cold I caved on the way home and got the bus home from the station.

Running total 1197 minutes (19 hours 57 minutes).

January 17th: A mere 5 minutes of yoga to start off. Then I walked to the shops and back, including where I interviewed someone in a local bakery for the bonus price of two loaves of bread. Anyway, that took at least 30 minutes, so we'll call that 30 minutes. I then went running/walking for 55 minutes.

Later I went with my wife to an event and changed tram a few times. I guess we walked for at least five minutes. I then walked from the event to a client for 25 minutes and later back home for 30 minutes.

145 minutes in total.

Fri. Jan. 11: 30 minutes walking.

Thu. Jan. 17: 15 minutes snow shoveling. 15 minutes walking.

quote:
Yesterday: no walking because the weather was shittastic,

I had my kids put their rainjackets on and carry on with their field trip as planned, prompting my boss to say "you really are British, aren't you?"

Wednesday, January 16: 35 min walk,
Thursday, January 17: 40 min walk, 20 min aerobics

Total 1065 minutes

Lib x

PS: Thanks for all the math Jenn!

Today: 55 minute commute, 10 minutes cycling to the bike shop & back, so 1 hour and 5 minutes.

I swear I'll have something impressive for y'alls one of these here days.

10 min

Pathetic, I know!!! Wednesday's always a quiet day, and I only had a 10 min walk yesterday thursday, because it was the tap group lunch, and today it's thick snow so I can't get to the gym. [Disappointed] Ah, well!

1 hour 25 minutes walk yesterday (commute and cello lesson). It's still brass monkeys (seriously, I got into the office at 10 a.m. yesterday and it was midday before I finally managed to get warm again [Help] ).

50 min brisk walk.

Running total - 13 hrs 20 mins.

30 mins walking, 30 mins active housework and 20 mins aerobics, as per usual. So 80 mins today.

Running total 1155 mins

Tuesday 15th generally active day, but only about ten minutes I could count. Wednesday 16th an hour and ten minutes (hills!) to and from local town for a bit of an explore.
Thursday total 230 minutes of walking and unicycling. Definitely staying on more now, but am also covered in bruises from the not staying on times. Also we took a brisk walk up to loch Humphrey and then walked half an hour each way for going out to dinner. Very loverly day.
Total this post 310 minutes.
Running total 1034 minutes or 17 hours 14 minutes
Tg

January 18th: My higher count (about 8 hours ahead of blackbeard at the last count) masks the fact that I am not so good at various forms of exercise. I have already mentioned swimming. Well today I tried to run further than normal. I seem to recall that blackbeard managed an hour, so I sought to see how far I could manage it.

16 minutes [Disappointed] I carried on with my usual running/walking set-up and spent a total of 55 minutes outside moving in total.

I did about 15 minutes of yoga, well I say yoga, I included some press-ups and something new, a "lying on the floor and doing the breast-stroke" exercise, all while listening to some quality hardcore/metal/crust from a band from Warsaw.

Just been out to buy some good beer and back, walking for 40 minutes in total.

Total: 110 minutes.

quote:
January 18th: My higher count (about 8 hours ahead of blackbeard at the last count) ...

I'm trying hard to catch up but without much success
quote:

Well today I tried to run further than normal. I seem to recall that blackbeard managed an hour,

Blackbeard is going to have to do a bit better than that. Half marathon looms on the horizon (March).

Anyway. My effort for today. Options a bit limited by sn*w, looks pretty but a pain. So walk to/from shops (Asda semi-deserted, no sign of panic buying, in fact not much buying at all and no queue at check-out) 30 m.
And walk by riverside in Big Boots, about 6 miles in 2 h.
So total for today is 2 hours and 30 minutes.

Is it really that bad in GB? What's the temperature?

It's been about -4 on average (during the day) for about a week now here. Snow here all that time.

It's when it gets to -10, I find, when things are more difficult. One can wrap oneself up warm, but one needs good cream for the face. Saying that, men have another somewhat issue when it is cold and is wearing trackies (albeit with long-johns underneath).

81 minutes walking today. Running total 1278 minutes (21 hours 18 minutes).

Two hours of housework today - decluttering, assembling flatpacks and laundry.

30 mins of swimming and 15 mins of walking.

quote:
Is it really that bad in GB? What's the temperature?

No, it's not that bad, except that we are just not equipped to deal with it. Temperature is hovering around or just below freezing. We are just not adapted to deal with this, since it doesn't happen often (only every year!).

15 mins round trip of walking/sliding to the paper shop and 15 mins of random exercise, so 30 mins.

Running total = 10hrs 15mins

1:48:36 of biking, and . . . oh, who was counting, I know I did more, but however much walking to the bar it would take to get an even 2 hours for the day, add it.

[1 hr 40 min

Gym - taxi there and back; I'd be silly to try and walk, since local pavements still covered. Made up for not walking there and back with extra CV (which in fact took up most of the time). No long walk tomorrow, so I shall try and do extra when the snow has cleared.

Cross-trainer for 27 mins, 33 mins of walking, so another hour to add to my tally.

Today, walking in the snow, 2 hours 20 minutes

Yesterday (Friday, Jan 18) 45 minutes walking. Total: 1110 minutes = 18hrs and 30mins

1 hour today - 40 minutes walking through the snow, followed by 20 minutes of housework. 1 hour today

120 mins walking
Running total 1275

30 mins of Walking, 5 mins of brushing snow and 10 mins of random exercise, so 45 minutes for today.

Running total = 11hrs

Jan. 17 - Feeling a bit under the weather, so only 35 minutes walking to and from the train.

Jan. 18 - 60 minutes walking

Today - We intended to walk downtown to shop, but we had freezng rain followed by a dusting of snow. After 3 blocks of skidding, sliding and generally trying not to fracture a femur, we gave up and took the train instead. Count 45 minutes hoofing it through the pedways.

*Sigh* Another day of being stuck here. At least it's swimming tomorrow evening and I'll get a taxi there and to the gym in the morning I think. *Sigh*

January 19th: Walked to tram stop to church for a lovely service of the Baptism of Christ, me getting sprayed with holy water to the side, anyway, I digress; I then walked to someone's house. That was 40 minutes all in all.

We then went to Nowina (a hamlet) in the south of Lower Silesia and we went for a walk. For the first time this winter my toes were cold, it was about -8 going to -10 with the wind. It was however very beautiful. Now, in Nowina a small choir were staying in order to go carol-singing in the houses, singing largely songs in Ukrainian (a decent amount of Poles in Lower Silesia speak Ukrainian as they were living in the border-region of Poland/Ukraine before Operation Vistula where they were forcefully expelled and made to settle in the "recovered territories".

In any case, we went looking for them around the hamlet and gave up, later however finding them and walking with them. All in all (with the walk) I walked for two hours and twenty minutes in Nowina.

Total: 180 minutes.

January 20th: Went walking in the snow again. Saw some deer, fieldfare, a buzzard and migrating greylags. Coming home to Wrocław meant more walking. Can't remember exact titles of individual walks, but today's total (I deffo won't go out again today) is 110 minutes.

Today about 45 minutes of walking (to/from church); Mrs B needed a trekking pole to keep balance - most of congo arrived wearing Big Boots. This weather is getting beyond a joke. Needed to de-ice part of our central heating system which is not designed to function in cold weather. If you are living where they have Proper Winters you may laugh.

One hour, twenty minutes of walking today - well, mostly walking with some picking my way through the ice as well! Making my way to church carrying the church laptop was fun.

Wed - 10 min. walking
Thurs - 30 swim
Fri - 1 hr body pump class
Sat - 15 min walk
Sun - 25 min walk, 10 min swim

(finally went to the doc in the box and got diagnosed with bronchitis. still coughing, but on the mend. I guess my race isn't all that competitive this go round, either. but it does help me get motivated to do something!)

A pitiful 15 mins of walking today.

Running Total = 11 hrs 15 mins

1 hour walking today.

Massive catch-up post once more. [Hot and Hormonal] I blame spending all day at work at a computer, thus putting me off going online in the evening.

As expected, absolutely nothing for January 12 or 13 due to a RPG weekend with friends (I am not going to count strolling from car to service station!).

January 14: 32 min to work; 13 min to pool; 12 min swimming; 22 min home. I really did go to the trouble of getting into my cozzie just to swim a grand total of 10 lengths (250 metres, not all at once either!).
January 15, 1 hour commuting.
January 16, 1 hour 2 minutes commuting.
January 17: 1 hour 5 minutes commuting; 10 min to church; 25 minutes ringing; 14 min getting home.
January 18: 35 minutes to work; 45 minutes getting home, mostly cycling but pushing the bike on the exposed bridge and steep uphill sections of the route; then, since we were both in during daylight for once, went sledging with Sandemaniac for what I'll count as 1 hour of fun!
January 19 was spent indoors tidying up and nursing a cold. Nothing strenuous.
January 20: 9 minutes to church; 15 minutes service ringing; 14 minutes walking home; and a bout of kitchen cleaning which I reckon comes to 15 minutes all told.

Total this post of 8 hours 28 minutes, new running total 16 hours 44 minutes. Will try to post more frequently over the rest of the month...

Saturday was a pyjama day - 10 mins of aerobics was all I could muster.
Sunday (today) - 105 mins of walking in the gorgeous spring/global warming weather.

Total: 1225 minutes or 20 hours and 25 minutes.

Yesterday: 2 hours, 40 minutes on the bike visiting weekend gourmet markets; if we're being fair, I think the roast lamb sandwich I had, when coupled with the lamb sausage and free samples from about everyone, probably should get me docked some time.

Not much exercise going on here, the snow is curtailing me.
Yesterday: hardly anything
Today: 15 mins walking, 20 mins housework, 15 mins aerobics so 50 mins
Running total 1325 minutes

Saturday (19): 45 minutes walking

Today (21): 1 hour at gym plus 15 minutes walking

Total: 14 hours 27 minutes

Big update - life has been busy!

Sat 12th 60 minutes gym
Sun 13th 40 minutes walking
Mon 14th 20 minutes walking
Tues 15th 20 minutes walking
Weds 16th 40 minutes walking
Thurs 17th 40 minutes walking
Fri 18th 20 minutes walking
Sat 19th 70 minutes walking, 20 minutes dancing
Sun 20th 20 minutes walking
Mon 21st 35 minutes walking

Total for update: 385 minutes

Overall total: 965 minutes

January 21st: What with the intense yoga of last week coupled with the running and time walking in the countryside full of snow I decided to give my legs a break today. I did about 10 minutes of light yoga to start off with.

Went out to the bakery and back, that took 35 minutes all in all.

I'm not actually physically tired, just that my legs need a rest, so thought of doing some shadow boxing. I thought "well it won't be for an hour like when I go running/walking, but I'll try 10 minutes".

I managed two minutes [Disappointed] I won't count that.

I did power yoga in the early evening. It's tougher than the other sequence I do, it did get me puffing at times. That was about 35 minutes, and then I did a bit more yoga (to deal with a few things thrown up by the power yoga) and then some breast-strokes while lying on the floor. I've adapted the 100 press-ups thing to my use, and had a good hard time at that. I'll call all that 15 minutes.

So that's a total of 95 minutes.

Only twenty minutes walking today. Hope to do better tomorrow. [Frown]

2 hours 53 minutes walking today.
Much of the path still covered with hard packed snow, OK at walking pace in boots; but not really advisable when running in trainers, especially when there's a river or canal to one side. I've had enough winter, may we have some spring please?

[1 hr 50 min

Gym a.m. Swimming class p.m. Had to taxi to/from though because of risky pavements just hereabouts. During the afternoon, taxi to bank but then I could walk easily by shops to get a few things before taxi home.

I've another 10 minutes to add from Saturday and 80 minutes to add from today (I think I actually took longer than 80 minutes, but given the snow it was quite tentative walking so I'll say 80 as the walking which was exercise-worthy). This brings my total up to 1368 minutes (22 hours 48 minutes).

50 mins of walking today. The pavements are an interesting mix of packed snow and melted slush: my calves were killing by the end. I went the slightly scenic route to avoid the gang of snowball-wielding kids at the end of the road.

Running total = 12 hrs 5 minutes

1.5 hours of walking and 30 mins of swimming.

45 minute walk to and a 45 minutes walk back from the Inauguration. I'll say this, this nation sure knows about flag waving. [Big Grin]

Total is (I think) 1315 minutes = 21 hours and 55 minutes

Lib x

Yesterday: 43 minutes walking to the grocery store, enjoying the nice weather, etc.

Today: 5 hours, 16 minutes riding to the inauguration, walking around, looking at the crowd, wondering if the parade was worth the lines and wait, deciding it wasn't, and biking back, with a stop for beer.

Running total: I've got no idea.

I've forgotten where I got up to...

Was at my parents' house this weekend, where sizeable quantities of snow stopped me doing all that much.

I think I can claim 1 hour 30 minutes walking for the whole three days, getting to and from the airport etc.

I want it to be Spring [Help]

Today's ratio of physical activity: 30 minutes swimming plus 20 minutes walking = 50 minutes.

New total: 15 hours 17 minutes

1 hr 15 min

Gym, but again taxi to/from.

OK, working on running totals, but first a catch up post from me:

Thurs 17th: 40mins
Fri 18th: 40mins
Sat 19th: 1 hr
Sun 20th: 0 [Frown]
Mon 21st: 80mins
Tues 22nd: 1h 55mins (walking + pilates)

30 mins walking and 20 mins aerobics as usual.
Running total. 1375 mins

Totals so far:

1. Rosa Winkel 41h
2. Ariston 32h 28m
3. blackbeard 32h 04m
4. la vie en rouge 26h 05m
5. Susan Doris 23h 25m
6. Meg the Red 23h 20m
7. Freelance Monotheist 23h 15m
8. heavenly anarchist 2h 55m
9. Jack the Lass 22h 48m
10. Liberty 21h 55m
11. starbug 21h 51m
12. Jenn R 21h 35m
13. Yangtze 19h 55m
14. teagnome 19h 46m
15. moonfruit 17h 15m
16. Celtic Knotweed 15h 44m
17. Jane R 15h 17m
18. To The Pain 14h 10m
19. North East Quine 13h 20m
20. ArachnidinElmet 12h 05m
21. Angel Wrestler 11h 27m
22. harmony hope 9h 27m
23. Smudgie 4h 30m
24. Mamacita 2h 40m
25. Autenreith Road 2h 20m
26. Comet* 1h 55m
27. Scots Lass 1h 40m
28. Sir Kevin* 25m

Hope this has mostly made sense with your running totals - I haven't had time to check them thoroughly so please tell me if I have made mistakes.

Jenn x

This is going to be a bit of a memory test. It's been another fairly useless weekend, compounded by being stuck in Manchester airport due to snow when I had planned to go out to a ceilidh.

Thursday, January 17th (cont)
45 mins dancing

Friday, January 18th
30 mins walking around in/to/from airports

Saturday, January 19th
60 mins, give or take, helping friends dismantle their wardrobe, empty their loft and pack various boxes.

Sunday, January 20th
30 mins walking to church
20 mins walking in town and back from bus stop

Monday, January 21st
5 mins walking to work (neighbour offered me a lift, it was freezing)
10 mins walking at lunchtime
10 mins walking home
20 mins to the shops and back

Tuesday, January 22nd (so far)
10 mins walking to work

Total for post: 255 minutes
Running Total: 1105 minutes or 18 hours and 25 minutes

Hm, Jenn, I think I might have done more than 2 hours 55 mins [Biased]

Well, it was a wet break today, but I managed to get in 15 minutes of exercise by walking round the corridors at work.

Bit of a catchup post
Over the weekend three times 45 minutes to work and back.
Monday also thirty minutes brisk walk (because its so blinking cold!)
Today one hour walking or thereabouts, maybe a bit more.
Total this post 225 minutes
Running total. 1259 minutes or 20 hours 59 minutes.

82 minutes walking today - running total is 1450 minutes or 24 hours 10 minutes.

Went to Haworth today, the snowy roads were pretty walkable, even dealing with the downhill cobbles/slush combo. I passed a teenager in Keighley station in Bermuda shorts. Make of that what you will. So, walking total for today is 2 hrs 5 minutes

Running total = 14 hours 10 minutes

1 hour and 10 minutes of walking today.

Had intended this day to be an active day. Didn't happen. Just 30 minutes walking/skidding to and from shops.

January 22nd: Started off with a bit of yoga for five minutes, then walked to the doctor's and back via shops for an hour and 25 minutes.

Later I was walking again for ten minutes, and did a bit more yoga (some "Yin yoga", I don't go for this "masculine" and "feminine" energy stuff myself, but do appreciate the gentler slower style which nicely constrasts the power yoga I do) for 15 minutes.

Total: 115 minutes.

Tuesday, January 22 - 60 mins of walking, 20 mins of aerobics.

Total: 1395 mins = 23 hours and 15 minutes

Jenn - you're a star! Thanks for keeping track of us all.

Went for a long walk yesterday evening - 2 hours 5 minutes for the day. The snow seems to be thawing so hopefully I can go running soon.

25 min

No snow at the moment so pavements clear. Walked to/around/from town.

Thank you for updates, Jen. I thought I'd probably be falling well behind, but apparently not!! [Smile]

Planning a long-way-round walk home tonight. It won't make that much difference to my total, but hopefully I will make the most of the weekend. I know I feel better when I get around an hour of activity in each day, but mustering the desire to actually do said activity (particularly when I am a dance class down during January) is hard - much better to do it accidentally by walking to/from work etc.

Tuesday, January 22nd (cont)
10 mins walking home

Wednesday, January 23rd (so far)
10 mins walking to work

Total for post: 20 minutes
Running total: 1125 minutes or 18 hours and 45 minutes

30 mins of ping pong playing/going up & down stairs to get the ball.

90 mins walking (including a long slog home from Waitrose pulling a heavy shopping trolley through ice and snow. It's a good job it's flat here), 20 mins low impact aerobics so 110 mins today
Running total 1485 minutes which equals 24 hours and 45 mins

51 minutes yesterday—when it's frikkin' cold and you forgot to grab a hat on the way out, you walk faster!

[ 23. January 2013, 15:40: Message edited by: Ariston ]

Slitherrun to gym, gym (rather overdid this I think), slitherrun back, 1 hour 30 minutes.
Oh, and I forgot to add, after seeing totals thus far, "Thanks, Jenn!".

Thurs 17: 1 hour 15 mins walking - a nice dedicated walk

Fri 18: 40 mins walking

Sat 19: 1 hour 45 combination of walking and energetic housework

Sun 20: 2 hours combination of walking and energetic housework

Mon 21: 25 mins walking

Tues 22: 45 mins walking

I'm feeling a bit convicted though - I mean basically all I've been doing in this "Race" is walking a bit more than normal. I have a friend staying at the moment, not only did she cycle to work and back - 45 mins - when she got home she donned her trainers and went out for a run. Now that's fitness.

I know what you mean Yangtze - nearly all of my hours are walking to and from the station on my journey to work, so I'd have been doing them anyway. Although I am trying to step up the speed a bit.

Anyway, today's walking totalled 76 minutes and I also did 27 minutes in the gym (I would have done more but there were no machines free - haven't these students got lectures to go to?). So I think my running total is 1553 minutes or 25 hours 53 minutes.

It occurred to me yesterday that this means I have now done over a day's worth of walking and other bits and bobs of exercise this month. Blimey.

January 23rd: Some walking at first, 25 minutes.

Later did some power yoga and my breast-stroke thing for 35 minutes. Then walked to watch Django and then visit a vegetarian restaurant with my wife and came home. That was 50 minutes.

Total is 110 minutes.

Lots of walking today, because I walked to house group and back. One hour thirty minutes in total.

Today - 50 mins walking and 10 mins aerobics.

Total - 1455 minutes or 24 hours and 15 mins

Normal service is resumed. Just 30 minutes walking today.

Running total = 14 hrs 45 minutes

[1 hr 25 min

Tap class plus walk to/from. New tapper joined the class today, so our total is now 11, but it is seldom everyone is there. She has done quite a lot too, so will be able to learn our routines fairly quickly.

Usual here, 20 mins aerobics and 30 mins school runs so 50 mins today.
Running total 1535 or 25 hours and 35 minutes

Yesterday's long-way-round helped. The snow, not so much. At least I have a dance class tonight. And a couple of Burns' Night ceilidh tomorrow night. And some dance teaching and house-move helping on Saturday.

Wednesday, January 23rd (cont)
40 mins walking home from work via shops (latter 20 mins carrying complete Thomas the Tank Engine library)

Thursday, January 24th (so far)
10 mins walking to work

Total for post: 50 minutes
Running total: 1175 minutes or 19 hours and 35 minutes

Another run to gym/gym/run back, pavements a bit less slithery this time. Thaw well set in but I'm told it will freeze hard tonight! Meanwhile I have again sent my pulse rate to places it shouldn't be. Might, or might not, help me to run faster, or possibly leave me in a knackered heap.
Anyway. 1 hour 30 minutes.

January 24th: Started off with 10 minutes of yoga. Later went running. It's been six days since my last run, and it showed, in that it took me less time to get tired. Add the falling and therefore deeper snow and things were a bit heavy going. Strangely enough I got better towards the end, and managed a not bad time of 55 minutes.

Just been out to a shop and back for 25 minutes.

Total is 90 minutes.

Must make that up tomorrow.

Still struggling with this illness...

Mon - 1:09:48 walk (we'll call that 1 hr 10 min) and then 12 minutes walk to/from work (6 min each way)

Tues - 12 min (work)
Wed - 12 min (work)

Thurs - 1 hr 10 min walk, 12 min. work

Total 2 hrs 56 min.

(I'm sorry; I've lost track of my running total)

Another 30 minutes of walking for me today.

45 minutes of swimming & 45 minutes of walking, so 1 hour and 30 minutes to add to my total.

Yesterday—another hour in the glass shop that involved huffing and puffing and moving heavy doors next to blazing hot furnaces.

Today—one hour of walking, and 10 minutes of biking with a Giant Bottle of Tasty Beer.

By the way, if you want to get amazed/appreciative looks, walk into a bike shop carrying a magnum bottle of anything alcoholic. Trust Me.

I also feel kind of cheaty that all I really do is walk, although I think I have done more of it than I would otherwise have done... I *will* go for a run tomorrow morning. Meanwhile 1 hour 35 minutes for Wednesday and 1 hour 25 minutes yesterday.

20 mins aerobics and 30 mins school runs so 50 mins today.
Running total 1585 minutes or 26 hours and 25 minutes.

Laid low by chest lurgy so very little activity of note beyond a walk to the paper shop.
30 mins spread over yesterday and today.

Running total = 15hrs 15 mins

1 hr 35 min

Gym, plus walk to/from. Very cold wind too!

75 minutes total walking yesterday. Working from home today so apart from going to Lidl (about 30 seconds away so I'm not going to count that!) to get some shopping, I stayed where I was today.

Running total is 1628 minutes or 27 hours 8 minutes.

1 hour of walking today

January 25th: Not particularly interesting exercise today.

Walked to the doctor's. 30 minutes. Walked home via shops and square where people were prancing around. Hour and quarter. Spend time queuening and gabbing, so let's call that an hour.

Later walked wife to bus stop and then walked home. 15 minutes. Later went to watch film and walked back. 40 minutes walking.

Total is 145 minutes.

I see I've been a bit remiss in posting.

Hence,

January 20 - 60 minutes
January 21 - 65 minutes
January 22 - 55 minutes
January 23 - 45 minutes
January 24 - 75 minutes
January 25 - 85 minutes

All times are for walking/stairs. I walked less as the streets got slippery, then (Yay!) got some Yaktrax, which have allowed me to toddle happily home from work without falling on my tuchis.

30 mins on cross-trainer and half an hour of walking so another hour to add to my tally.

35 min

To/around/from town twice.

Thurs - 30 mins walk.
Fri - 45 mins walk, 10 mins aerobics.

Total thus far: 1310 minutes, or 21 hrs & 50 mins

30 mins active housework.
Running total 1615 minutes

No exercise yesterday, as I was at a conference and it was so cold I didn't go out at lunchtime. Today was much warmer and I managed to go for a 50 minute walk.

10 mins path clearing, followed by 40 mins of walking to the shops and back.

Running total = 16 hrs 5 minutes

Yesterday: busyish day, but nothing which could be called aerobic.
Today: run to gym, gym, run back: 1 hour 20 minutes.

Adding on 1 hour 20 minutes walking and (finally!) 45 minutes running (following an improvement in the weather).

I reckon I can also count about 20 minutes of cleaning the house (I spent longer than that but it wasn't all particularly active).

January 26th: Started the day off with a bout of power yoga for 30 minutes followed by five minutes of my breast-stroke thing.

Did some house cleaning for at least half an hour. Then went walking round and about taking rubbish and bottles out and going shopping. For about fifteen minutes.

Just did a yin yoga session for 45 minutes. Hard-going holding poses for three minutes. Didn't manage to do that once. Was my first proper go and it and now I'm somewhat annoyed. Which says something about me, apparently.

Total is 125 minutes.

I mean 135 minutes.

Forgot that I had a session of various exercises (running on the spot, press-ups, kicking and shadow boxing) for ten minutes.

1 hr 40 min

Long walk; just a bit slower this morning because of negotiating puddles linking to make mini-lakes, some pavement works and head wind going west... although I suppose I can't count that since it was behind me for longer going east! Much milder today.

About 1 hour slow running (knackered after yesterday's heavy gym session) today. Ice all gone now except for a few patches here and there on ponds/canal, but plenty mud.

Update from me - last week was Not Good due to lack of time to go to gym...

23 January: 45 minutes walking
24 January: 20 minutes walking
25 January: a mere 10 minutes walking
26 January: 2.5 hours walking

Nothing much today... not worth counting five minutes or so.

New total: 19 hours 2 minutes (faint but pursuing)

15 minutes of walking today, due to creaking lungs still. Keeping my fingers crossed, but not hoping for the last week.

Total = 16hrs 20 minutes

Just 45 minutes to add for the whole weekend. Making my running total 1673 minutes or 27 hours 53 minutes.

Today's my day of rest [Smile]

30 minutes of walking today. Feeling ill, so probably won't be doing much for the next few days, waaah!

Saturday - 25 mins walk
Sunday - 55 mins walk, 15 mins aerobics.

Running total: 1405 minutes or 23 hours and 25 minutes.

January 27th: Walked to church (via tram) and back (via shops) for one hour and ten minutes. Surprisingly had energy, so did an aerobic session following this guy on youtube for twenty minutes, which was followed by my own aerobic exercises for ten minutes listening to Sepultura.

Total 100 minutes.

Another 1 hour 20 minutes walking for me.

30 mins walking, 20 mins aerobics and 90 mins active housework (displacement activity, I should be doing my marking). So 140 mins today.
Running total 1755 minutes or 29 hours and 15 minutes.

Day before yesterday (26 January?): 87 minutes walking in the snow. Deep snow. Nasty stuff. Impassible in parts. Trust me, not the weather reports showing we got only a light dusting, it was up over my head in parts! Well, yes, those parts were on hills and tall buildings, but . . . look, that's not the point!

Yesterday: two hours walking around killing time and exploring.

Oh dear. Despite a very busy weekend, lots of it wasn't quite active enough to count. I think I'll be hard pressed to achieve the hour-per-day I set myself at the beginning of the month. That said, there is an awful lot of housework that needs doing just now so perhaps if I can make that into a game or a dance it will be active enough to count. But I'm just so sleepy!

Thursday, January 24th (cont)
45 mins dancing

Friday, January 25th
10 mins walking to work
5 mins dashing about and lugging equipment to workshop that never materialised
45 mins dancing at Burns' Supper
10 mins clearing up

Saturday, January 26th
45 mins dance teaching exam
30 mins rebuilding wardobe I helped to dismantle last weekend

Sunday, January 27th
5 mins walking to lunch
60 mins going for a walk in the snow and getting lost
30 mins demonstrating at another Burns' Supper

Monday, January 28th (so far)
10 mins walking to work

Total for post: 315 minutes or 5 hours and 15 minutes
Running total: 1490 minutes or 24 hours and 50 minutes

[ 28. January 2013, 16:00: Message edited by: To The Pain ]

[55 min

To/fromn town a.m.; swim p.m.

Friday - Body Pump - 60 minutes
Saturday - 12 minutes walk (work)
Sunday - Swimming - 50 minutes
Monday - Swimming - 50 minutes, 12 minutes (total, 6 minutes each way) walk to/from work.

Total for the weekend: 3 hrs 4 minutes

and I'm slowly getting over this illness (but my swim routine has slowed down by 5 minutes)

Catch up post....

Weds 23: 1 hour 20 mins walking - lots of 20 min sessions

Thurs 24: 40 mins walking across a bit of London between meeting and choir.

Fri 25: 15 mins commuter walking (then 3.5 hours on a train)

Sat: 26: 2 hours 30 mins - gorgeous walk along a snowy beach to Bamburgh Castle

Sun 27: 20 mins commuter walking - after a 5 hour train journey (ah, Sunday trains, doncha love 'em?)

Mon 28: 30 mins commuter walking

Just my usual 80 minutes commuter walking/after lunch walk round the block. My running (well, walking mainly) total is 1753 minutes or 29 hours 13 minutes.

I'm hanging my head in shame at my lack of posting and hoping it's not too late to put them here... nasty cold then college interviews then massive amount of work has meant I've really fallen behind this time but I've tried my very bestest!

Think I posted to Day 11 so here's the rest:

Day 12 - 55 mins walking
Day 13 - 15 mins walking only
Day 14 - 45 mins walking
Day 15 - 60 mins vigorous cleaning and 50 mins walking [Smile]
Day 16 - 10 mins walking only
Day 17 - zero [Frown]
Day 18 - 1 hr and 20 mins lovely walking [Smile]
Day 19 - 55 mins walking
Day 20 - 55 mins walking (dogs bored by now!)
Day 21 - zero [Frown]
Day 22 - zero [Frown]
Day 23 - 55 mins walking
Day 24 - 50 mins walking
Day 25 - zero [Frown]
Day 26 - 1 hr 20 walking [Smile]
Day 27 - 55 mins walking
Day 28 - 50 mins aqua aerobics - yeah!

So I make that total of 665 mins since I last posted and I think my running total at end of Day 11 was 567 mins so that should be 1232 mins (or 20 hrs 32 mins) running total to date?

Hope that's okay and I'm not elimiated! Thanks Jenn! [Smile]

Today - 40 mins walking in the rain and 10 mins aerobics in an apartment that is heated to suit the turtle, not me.

Total so far: 1455 minutes or 24 hours and 15 minutes.

January 29th: First some yoga for ten minutes. Then some running/walking for 55 minutes. Buying bread was a further 20 minutes of walking.

Later did power yoga and a punishing breast-stroke thing session, 40 minutes in total.

Just been to the pub, which was about, let's call it 20 minutes worth of walking.

150 minutes total.

For yesterday 1 hour 20 minutes walking and 5 minutes moving furniture.

Posted by Boogie (# 13538) on :

Very well done all you fitness racers!

I would have joined this year but had flu for the first few days.

Next year - hopefully!

Enjoy the final straight!

[Smile]

30 mins walking, 20 mins aerobics
Running total 1805 minutes or 30 hours and 5 minutes

1 hr 30 min

Gym plus walk to/from, both had to be the long way round to avoid the mini-lakes, which are a bit less mini than usual!

Yesterday (28): 30 minutes gym plus 15 minutes high-speed walking
Today (29): 1 hour 5 minutes at gym plus 20 minutes high-speed walking

New total: 21 hours 12 minutes

Yesterday: zilch, zippo, nothing & niente (aka Sweet FA)
Today: walk to & from doctor's, then to and from post office/newsagent's, so 80 mins in total for today.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!
bit of a gut bug over the last couple of days; definitely not firing on all cylinders.
So, nothing yesterday; today 40 minutes walking. And that's it.

I did quite a lot of washing up last night, but I don't think any of it would have counted as aerobic. Nor the haggis lasagne eating. I really am relying on the next two nights having dance classes to see me through. Perhaps I could walk back from my course on Thursday rather than taking the bus. That would add half an hour. I think I would still need to do some extra to take me up to the hour-per-day I was aiming for, even just on the days since I joined the race.

Monday, January 28th (cont)

Tuesday, January 29th (so far)
10 mins walking to work

Total for post: 25 minutes
Running total: 1515 minutes or 25 hours and 15 minutes

One hour of walking today.

quote:
January 29th: First some yoga for ten minutes. Then some running/walking for 55 minutes. Buying bread was a further 20 minutes of walking.

Later did power yoga and a punishing breast-stroke thing session, 40 minutes in total.

Just been to the pub, which was about, let's call it 20 minutes worth of walking.

150 minutes total.

Sorry, that was the 28th.

Today is the 29th.

Today I walked to the laringologist's and back for an hour. Later went out again looking (unsuccessfully) for decent clothes. I spent about an hour and twenty minutes outside, but some of that was trying clothes on, standing in front of clothes, etc. So I'll call that 45 minutes.

Just been doing some yoga for 15 minutes.

That's 120 minutes for today.

Cough stops play again today. 30 mins split between yesterday and today. Am increasingly pessimistic about the next couple of days. [Frown]

Running total: 16 hrs 50 minutes

[ 29. January 2013, 20:10: Message edited by: ArachnidinElmet ]

Today 75 minutes walking, bringing the total up to 1828 minutes (30 hours 28 minutes). Thanks to the lurgy I am working from home tomorrow, I am not planning on getting out of my pyjamas never mind out of the house [Smile]

Day 29 - 55 mins walking again.

Running total I make: 1287 mins or 21 hrs 27 min.

Only 2 days to go...

Today - 2 hours walk with a co-worker after school.

Running total - 1575 minutes or 26 hours and 15 minutes.

Yesterday: 70 minutes walking, mostly to have done something for this silly race.
Today: Between commuting, grocery shopping, and running around like a headless chicken at work hunting down disappearing Scotus scholars, 2 hours, 3 minutes

1 hour 10 minutes walking yesterday and 30 minutes run this morning to make me feel like I've actually done some real exercise for my total.

20 min

To/from town; actually took longer because of low sun shining on wet pavements, but would have been that time on a normal day.

Day 30 - 45 mins dog walking (very muddy but happy dogs!) plus 15 mins un-doggy walking too makes 60 mins total.

Running total therefore: 1347 mins or 22 hrs 27 min.

Penultimate day [Frown]

Longish run: 1 hour 58 minutes from start to finish but about 3 minutes was lost waiting for a crane to finish removing an old lock gate from the canal. So call it 1 h 55m.
Further slowed down by attempted mud dodging, but presumably mud dodging counts towards total. Plenty of mud.

plus about 10 m of aerobicish exercises.

Total for day thus 2 hours and 5 minutes.

January 30th: Well I certainly had twenty minutes walking to start off with. After that I was showing a friend around our district and tneighbouring district, which involved sitting down and eating and drinking. We left at 1:10pm and got back at about 4ish. I have no idea how long we were walking, so I'll call that 90 minutes.

110 minutes in total.

Nothing today, I'm afraid. I had to work through lunch.

Hi everyone, I haven't done this weeks totals yet as the end of the month is so close by. Please try and get everything posted by friday evening and I'll post the final tallies sometime on saturday!

for me:
Wed 23rd 40 mins walking
Thur 24th 40 mins walking
Fri 25th 40 mins walking
Sat 26th 1 hour walking
Sun 27th 0 [Frown] This seems to be the way for sundays at the moment
Mon 28th 50 mins walking
Tues 29th 100 mins walking
Wed 30th 80 mins walking

I'm a bit disappointed that I haven't managed to get running this month, although I have started pilates which I am enjoying. I'm trying to be realistic about acheivability so that's quite a bit thing for me. Hope you have all enjoyed the race so far!

A mere 30 minutes walking today.

New total: 21 hours 42 minutes

Dunno whether 'enjoy' is the right word... I like being fit. I also like being able to casually lift 8 kilos with one hand. Most of the time I'd rather be sitting by the fire reading a good book than exercising, though.

Penultimate day - 1 hr and 15 mins walk (commute and errands).

Total - 1650 minutes or 27 hours and 30 minutes

Today: just an hour or so doing strange things with blowpipes (but lots more time sweating).

Forgot to add yesterday's which was 30 mins walking, 20 mins aerobics so total 50 mins
Running total 1855 minutes or 30 hours and 55 minutes

I'll be back with today's later.

quote:
Originally posted by Heavenly Anarchist:
Forgot to add yesterday's which was 30 mins walking, 20 mins aerobics so total 50 mins
Running total 1855 minutes or 30 hours and 55 minutes

I'll be back with today's later.

Final check in [Smile]
Today it has been 30 mins school run, 20 aerobics and 60 mins walk/haul back shopping from Waitrose. So 110 mins today.
Running total is 1965 minutes or 32 hours and 45 minutes.

Well, even though it was raining I did walk back from my course-thing this morning. I feel very virtuous. But if I am to make it to 29 hours for the month I will have to dance an awful lot tonight. And probably go the long way home as well. Might have to give up on that little goal.

Tuesday, January 29th (cont)

Wednesday, January 30th
10 mins walking to work
12 mins walking home from work
25 mins walking to dance class
30 mins dancing

Thursday, January 31st (so far)
10 mins walking to work
35 mins walking back from course (counting it because I could have taken the bus)

Total for post: 132 minutes or 2 hours and 12 minutes
Running total: 1647 minutes or 27 hours and 27 minutes

Final check in barring sudden episodes of aerobics at my house group tonight, unlikely at best. 15 mins yesterday and 40 mins today.

Total = 17 hrs 55 minutes

Today, the final day:
40 minutes Coarse Gardening
35 minutes running
total for day 1 hour 15 minutes
That's all, folks

1 hr 20 min

Tap class plus walk to (lift home)
Walk to hairdresser (taxi home well, I couldn't put a hat over new perm and smart hairdo! [Smile] )

The end of the month seems to have arrived too soon!

Last Post...

Not such a good day again. No time for swimming or workout, so a mere 25 minutes high speed walking.

Final result: 22 hours 2 minutes which averages out at about 42 minutes per day... not as bad as I expected.

My final check-in: 80 minutes again commuter walking. Final total 1908 minutes or 31 hours 48 minutes. Not bad [Smile]

(although I am mildly embarrassed that not one of those minutes involves housework)

45 minutes walking today.

Not very impressive final day push - 30 mins walk and 10 mins aerobics.

Final total (methinks): 1690 mins or 28 hours and 10 minutes

This was fun y'all. [Smile]

January 31st: Not the most exiting of ends. No running. No yoga. Just walking. The reason is a guest and various things that would require posts in All Saints.

I walked to the dentist's and back for 25 minutes. Later walked with my (now ex-) guest via the tram to town and then in town. That was about 15 minutes. Walked around the train station for another five, and later 40 minutes back home.

Total is 85 minutes.

Wrapping up the month, I note that with a couple of small exceptions, my exercise was not varied. However, my new hiking boots are now well broken-in.

January 26 - a beautiful day, so walked downtown to shop at the farmer's market and skate on the City Hall rink (great fun - volunteers had set up a warming tent, portable fireplace and road hockey nets). Total of 90 minutes.

January 27 - 60 minutes walking to and from the grocery store and library

January 28 - 80 minutes walking and stair-climbing

January 29 - Freaking cold (-41C windchill), so only 25 minutes walking to and from the train. Unfortunately, I don't think shivering and cussing count toward my total or I'd have accumulated enough time to win the race [Biased]

January 30 - 55 minutes walking. I didn't intend to do that much, but the bus I wanted to take home didn't appear and it was too cold to stand still at the bus stop waiting to see if it would show up

Today - 65 minutes walking, much of that through a lovely snowfall

Congrats everyone, and thank you Jenn. for taking this on - it's been great motivation. [Smile]

1/24, 60 minutes walking.
1/30, 60 minutes walking.

1 hour 45 minutes walk on Wednesday and 1 hour 10 minutes yesterday.

My exercise has also been très unvaried. I blame the weather.

Bother, bother. Horrible weather & nightshirts mean I have either not done exercise or not kept a note since my last post, so I'm out I guess.
On the other hand, I did get back on the unicycle yesterday and made it a short distance, and then repeated that a couple of times (with a bit of falling off in between). So if nothing else, I feel I have achieved something worthwhile this month.
Also, without this thread, I think I'd still be getting the train to work instead of cycling.
Thanks for doing the addings up Jenn. Looking forward to the next one (which I will win ).
Tg

So near and yet so far! Hopefully the race has prevented me from being quite as lazy as I might ootherwise have been during January. Must do better in the summer.

Thursday, January 31st (cont)
45 mins dancing

Total for post: 55 minutes
Final total: 1702 minutes or 28 hours and 22 minutes if my maths hasn't let me down.

can only count another 12 minutes walking from yesterday. lousy weather and long work hours

Day 31 - 65 mins dog walking (and we even saw the sun for some of it!)plus 10 mins walking to shops makes 75 mins total.

Running total therefore: 1412 mins or 23 hrs 42 mins

- an average just over 45 mins day (not as impressive as last time but considering flu-like thing and all sorts of rubbish-y things happening here I guess it's not too bad [Big Grin]

Thanks Jenn - you're a star! [Smile]

Yesterday's shocking totals:55 minutes walking, 7 minutes biking up hills. Took the long way, despite the wind and cold, just in case two extra minutes might help my cause here.

Tues 29: 15 mins walking. Mainly to the corner shop and back to buy heaps of chocolate to help with doing the dreaded tax return.:

Weds 30: 40 mins walking - to choir and back. Tax return submitted

Thurs 31: 20 mins walking

I make my total 33 hours 25 mins which, if it is correct, means I've averaged around an hour a day for the month. Not bad seeing as I had The Lurgy at the beginning and The Tax Return at the end.

However I am disappointed that it's basically all in walking, mainly commuter walking. I definitely did some walking that I wouldn't otherwise have done but really I wasn't pushing my fitness forward very much. Something to ponder.

FINAL SCORES (unless anyone wants me to recheck their total)

1. Rosa Winkel 60h 20m [Overused]
2. Ariston 44h 11m
3. blackbeard 41h 54m
4. la vie en rouge 40h 55m
5. Meg the Red 36h
6. Yangtze 33h 35m
7. heavenly anarchist 32h 45m
8. Susan Doris 32h 05m
9. Liberty 32h
10. Jack the Lass 31h 48m
11. Freelance Monotheist 30h 15m
12. Jenn R 28h 25m
13. To The Pain 28h 22m
14. starbug 26h 41m
15. harmony hope 24h 22m
16. tea gnome 23h 31m
17. Jane R 22h 7m
18. ArachnidinElmet 17h 55m
19. Angel Wrestler 17h 51m
20. moonfruit 17h 15m
21. Celtic Knotweed 15h 44m
22. North East Quine 13h 20m
23. Smudgie 4h 30m
24. Autenreith Road 4h 20m
25. Mamacita 2h 40m
26. Comet* 1h 55m
27. Scots Lass 1h 40m
28. Sir Kevin* 25m

Well Done to all of you!

For reference:
1 hour a day would be 31 hrs (10 people managed this! [Overused] )
45 mins a day would be 23hrs 25mins (16 of us did this)
30 mins a day would be 15hrs 30mins (that'd be 21 players!)
and 30 mins 3 times a week would be about 6 hrs

Well done for taking on the challenge. Looking forward to (someone else) doing it again in July!

quote:
Originally posted by Jenn.:
Well Done to all of you!

And Well Done (and Thanks) to Jenn.!

That's excellent Jenn, many thanks for that. And well done Rosa Winkel: 60+hrs. [Eek!] I'm exhausted just thinking about it!

Many thanks, Jenn, and congratulations to RosaWinkel.

See you all in July, I hope!!

Thank you for keeping score, Jenn.

Thank you Jenn.
I'm missing ths thread already [Smile]

[Overused] Rosa, amazing result!

I'm disappointed a bit with my result but its been really good to take part one again and well done to everyone who took part!

[Axe murder] jenn, you're a star!

Thank you, Jenn.

I just don't have the spare time to rack up 2 hours or more every day (well done, Rosa W)... but I'm a lot fitter than I was this time last month!

Hope to see you all again in July.

Thanks Jenn, and thank you to all for motivating me to start the year off right...

Thanks for keeping track of us all Jenn. I ended up falling by the wayside after January 20 - I was still doing stuff, but managed to lose the notes due to life being a bit awkward the last week or so of January... [Hot and Hormonal]

Might be better organised by the time the next one rolls around (but I doubt it!)

Thanks for the congratulations, people. And a big thank you to Jenn [Overused]

I actually began to enjoy exercise. The snow helped in getting me out running (it was very nice by the river, and migratory birds were an added bonus). I got into aerobics right at the end and tried some new yoga sequences; that they were new kept my interest up. I felt the benefit after a few weeks in my general energy levels and also back, so that motivated me further.

If we had a bigger flat I wouldn't mind having a punch bag.

In any case, I've been beset with my own health bother this month, but not so as to effect my fitness (rather my motivation in the end), but I hope to push on with the various exercises I did.

I wish all of you a fit year.

I climb stairs when they come my way, always skipping steps on the way up. While taking an escalator down, I usually hold on with my arms and hands while raising my feet. The Hell with rentacops at the bottom: garbage in, garbage out! They are the lowest form of vocational life, on par with toilet-scrubbers!

Is this thing over? Am I sincerely thankful to Jenn. for running this thing? Am I glad I beat all y'alls, save Rosa? Do I have any clue how she did it?

Yes.

Thread CLOSED
Ariston, Sick Simpers Tyrannous

© Ship of Fools 2016