Thread: International Book Week Board: Oblivion / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=70;t=024439

Posted by ElaineC (# 12244) on :

This was just posted by a friend on FB:-

It is International Book Week. Grab the closest book to you, turn to page 52, post the 5th sentence as your status. Don't mention the title. Copy the rules as part of your status.

Following the success of the Book Link thread I thought this might have some mileage in it. Only we post here intead of FB.

So here goes:-

"There is a critical gap between awareness of these tools and effective action in evaluating, selecting and implementing them."

Posted by comet (# 10353) on :

"In the Yoga Sutra, Patanjali uses duhkham to encompass all the disturbances in our equilibrium, from feelings of disquiet or unhappiness to all-out heartbreak."

Posted by QLib (# 43) on :

There isn't a fifth sentence on page 52 in my nearest book, so the 4th will have to do. This is going to look contrived, but I swear it isn't:

He nothing common did or mean
Upon that memorable scene,
But with his keener eye
The axe's edge did try,

Nor called the gods, with vulgar spite,
To vindicate his helpless right;
But bowed his comely head
Down, as upon a bed.

Posted by Welease Woderwick (# 10424) on :

[i]But I am led to the yard in front, where the men are dancing in a circle by the light of a bonfire.

Posted by Schroedinger's cat (# 64) on :

"They have more home life"

Posted by Ariston (# 10894) on :

Prendieron unos ranchos trémulos en la costa, durmieron extrañados.

"On the coast they put up a few ramshackle huts and slept uneasily." (5th sentence of page 53)

Posted by Lamb Chopped (# 5528) on :

Ho oun ho theos sunezeuxen anthropos me chorizeto (from the Greek New Testament, N A 27th ed: "what therefore God has joined together, let man not put asunder.")

Posted by Firenze (# 619) on :

About the room, some amazing coffee-coloured pictures varnished an inch deep; dotted among the audience, in Sung and out of Snug, the 'Professionals', among them, the celebrated comic favourite Mr Banjo Bones, looking very hideous with his blackened face and limp sugar-loaf hat; beside him, sipping rum and water, Mrs Banjo Bones in her natural colours - a little heightened.

[ 19. September 2012, 20:32: Message edited by: Firenze ]

Posted by jacobsen (# 14998) on :

What is also quite interesting is that also feel (6)completely indifferent to the individual who has thanked you, because no personal relationship has been established between you.

Posted by Graven Image elsewhere:
quote:
"No longer was Thomas's world that of his fellow Londoners, citizens, and merchants, but one of bishops, clergy and church courts."

Posted by Curiosity killed ... (# 11770) on :

And when, in the dreary autumn rain of the Low Countries, two young refugees from England fetched up on those low shores, in very low water it was the successful merchant from the Weald of Kent who gave them succour.

Posted by mousethief (# 953) on :

If, however, you make any changes using features that are not compatible with the older version, the Excel Compatibility Checker intervenes when you save and displays a dialog box like the one in Figure 2-28.

Posted by LeRoc (# 3216) on :

"Wij zullen ze nooit kunnen gebruiken zonder ons onbehaaglijk te voelen." (We'll never be able to use them without feeling uncomfortable.)

Posted by Stejjie (# 13941) on :

In books like Daniel, the sea is where the monsters come from.

Posted by The Rogue (# 2275) on :

My closest book only goes up to page 44. And now I have taken it out my monitor is wonky.

Posted by jbohn (# 8753) on :

If your Macintosh has two internal drives, use the lower drive or the rightmost drive.

Posted by leo (# 1458) on :

Then, says the Monkey-Doctor sitting at my Bedside, we must put Blisters of cantharides upon the Neck and Feet.

Posted by Niminypiminy (# 15489) on :

'Yakimov was to meet Hadjimoscos in the main room, where drinks were served while anyone remained to order them.'

Posted by pimple (# 10635) on :

Metal shaded lights hung at intervals from the ceiling.

[Because page 52 of "Saturday" is blank]

Posted by Dafyd (# 5549) on :

But Moses said to God, 'If I come to the Israelites and say to them, "The God of your ancestors has sent me to you?", and they ask me, "What is his name?" what shall I say to them?'

(This is a sign that I spend too much time arguing on the Ship.)

Posted by Adeodatus (# 4992) on :

"In other words, man at his first creation was innocent and capable of developing spiritually (the "image"), but his development was not inevitable or automatic."

Surprised that the nearest book to me was a theological work? Me too!

Posted by Hedgehog (# 14125) on :

"He was an excellent defensive shortstop and a punchy hitter, and it landed him in the Hall of Fame."

Posted by Horseman Bree (# 5290) on :

"When did we ever see You?"

Posted by Pia (# 17277) on :

Who could fail to realise what kind of spirits they are which could enjoy such obscenities?

Posted by piglet (# 11803) on :

Bestow thy blessing on the harvest of the waters, that it may be abundant in its season, and on our sailors and fishermen, that they may be safe in every peril of the deep ...

Posted by Cara (# 16966) on :

"A fair, delicate girl, in a pretty light dress, trifling with the leaves of a sketch-book, while she looks up from it with truthful, innocent blue eyes--that is all the drawing can say; all, perhaps, that even the deeper reach of thought and pen can say in their language, either."

Posted by Mamacita (# 3659) on :

"They say she has all the gentlemen of the king's privy chamber, one after another."

Posted by Not (# 2166) on :

Because I was alone even the mundane seemed charged with meaning.

Posted by Hart (# 4991) on :

The people who followed Jesus on this death march were probably a diverse group, from the curious to the committed.

Posted by Lyda*Rose (# 4544) on :

She is accentuated by the multitude of blue angels surrounding the indefinable cloud where the mother and child are seated.

HULL WILL DIE!

© Ship of Fools 2016