Thread: Shipmates Expecting [2012] Board: Oblivion / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=70;t=024463

Posted by Welease Woderwick (# 10424) on :

Here you are, a lovely shiny blank thread to talk about pending new arrivals.

Posted by Dafyd (# 5549) on :

Thank you.
At the risk of turning this into a Circus thread, could I please ask other Shipmates who now have babies to post Three Things that they would buy before the baby is born, and Three Things that they wouldn't?

Posted by North East Quine (# 13049) on :

Keep an eye on the small ads; if something regularly appears for sale described as "used once only" it will be something unneccessary. Back in the day, it was a type of breast pump which needed three hands to operate.....

Posted by Emma Louise (# 3571) on :

They really really do need a lot less than you think. We're onto number 2 and have even less this time around!

You need

* Somewhere to sleep (we have an amazing co-sleeper)
* Transport - buggy/sling (I love my wrap sling).
* Something to wear...

That is pretty much it (oh and something to catch poo in... we're using reusables but that's another debate, and something to feed - bottle/breast)

Babies don't use toys initially. I think the only other thing we made sure we had this time around was a baby bouncy chair that vibrates as that was a godsend with no 1. No 2 doesn't seem that impressed yet!

Wouldn't buy

Changing table - personal choice but hv and mw here advised against them as so many accidents happen after they learn to roll. Floor or changing pad on the floor is good!

Baby Bjorn - can kill your back and isn't ideal positioning for baby. There are many other slings which are better.

Proper baby "outfits" for 0-3. Most babies tend to live in babygrows for at least the first few months. Ones that popper all the way down save going over the babies' head. We only have a couple for 3-6 as we will still be using vests and babygrows (onesies in US?)

Hope that helps...!

Posted by Sioni Sais (# 5713) on :

I can't think of three either way but don't buy the little darlings shoes until they absolutely need them. I know they look wonderful, but you'll spend a stack of money on them when they do need them.

Posted by Lamb Chopped (# 5528) on :

Buy them one tiny pair for the baptism and then hang them on your Christmas tree every year. Then let them go barefoot until they're 21. [Two face]

No, really--get diapers and wipes, nobody wants to pop out to the store on the way home from the hospital. Get a basic baby medical kit (thermometer--and instructions on how to use it! baby tylenol, nose suction thingy) so when you call Mom/MIL/doctor at 3 am you don't have to leave the house to do what they tell you. (also stick the name, phone no. and location of the nearest 24 hour pharmacy on the fridge--you'll need it at some point, believe me) Get a big stack of soft cheap washcloths to use as spitrags, urp cloths, washcloths, etc. 24 is a good number, esp. if you don't do laundry often enough (and who does?)

That ought to see you through all the nasty bits.

For my newborn I rather liked the long long nightgown he had with elastic round the bottom. It came well over his feet, so no kicking it up and off, resulting in cold legs. But it also meant no snapping and unsnapping during those 3 a.m. diaper changes.

Posted by Martha (# 185) on :

We had one of those nightgowns but my husband hated it: "I'm not putting our little boy in a dress!"

I agree about them basically living in pyjamas though. We had 6 in various monkey prints and I was so sick of them by the time he grew out of them. Find a good secondhand store for baby clothes - I bought most of his for the first year for 50c - $1 apiece, mostly looking hardly used.

Three things I'd buy:
Car seat - well, you have to, but I think the baby ones which you can carry are worth it. Not that you ever want to carry them far. And mine's still (just) in it at 15 months, so you get a fair amount of use out of it.

Baby changing mats - we have 6 washable ones that you can just carry around and whip out whenever needed.

Burp cloths - lots. However many you have, there will never be one at hand right when you need it. Also lots of pajamas, because you really do have to change them at least 3 times a day. Just when you think you've got away with it they pee or puke all over everything, and there you are stripping them down again.

Oh, and a fourth - a bouncy chair. Wonderful invention.

Three things I wouldn't buy:
Pushchair/stroller - at least don't stress about which type to get before they're born. A friend gave me a Moby Wrap and we bought a $7 second-hand front carrier and we didn't get a pushchair till he was about 3 months old.

Swing seat - most people I know say their babies only used them for a few months. See if someone will lend you one or buy it secondhand at least.

Changing table - we've never had one and never missed it. When I do change him on a table I'm always doing contortions trying to keep one hand on the baby while reaching across the room for the thing I forgot to get.

Posted by Derf (# 2093) on :

I'd echo lots of what's been said.

However I love having a changing table at a sensible height - ours is on top of a chest of drawers. You do have to have everything in grabbing range and whether this will still be good as she gets more mobile I don't know, but I suspect it's helped me not destroy my back in the first few months. It's a case of working out what works for you.

With clothes, we've found we've had to buy very few because we've been bought so many, so I wouldn't get much until you see what you need. I spent the first month using nothing but vests and sleepsuits, then progressed into non-complicated outfits. How many you get through in a day depends on how pukey your baby is - we don't have to change nearly as frequently as some, and you won't know that till the time.

For us both the bouncy chair and the playmat have been well worth the money, but babies vary on what they like so you might want to try them first. Or discover your local second hand sales (NCT run them as well as various other groups - round here it's Jack and Jill sales) - if you've bought something cheap it's less upsetting if you don't get much use out of it.

I do like having a good buggy (although I use a sling too) - we've got one of the ones that you can put a carrycot on, or the car seat, or then the buggy bit when she gets a bit bigger (I really should get it out). But it depends on your lifestyle - I know several people who almost only ever use their sling. Slings it's worth trying them out before you buy because different ones suit different people.

The one thing we shot out to buy the day after we got home from hospital was a little plug in nightlight so I have enough light to feed at night, but it's still dark enough for us all to sleep. Obviously not everyone will need one - depends how/where you feed, how dark the room is etc.

Posted by Antisocial Alto (# 13810) on :

I second getting a changing table. At least for us, changing at floor level has always been a hassle. A) back pain and B) once the little fella got mobile, he tried a lot harder to escape when he was on the floor.

Also agree on only wearing PJs for the first several months.

Our essentials were:

We didn't use:

One other thing- this may not apply in the UK or other countries, but in the US they've recently changed the labeling on baby medicines. Dosages for children under 2 aren't listed on the bottle anymore, even on a product labeled "infant" pain relief. It just tells you to call your doctor before giving your child any medicine. (Which is no use at all if you're up in the middle of the night with baby's first cold.) It might save you some trouble to get the dosage for your baby's weight ahead of time.

Posted by Mamacita (# 3659) on :

Such great ideas here. One thing that hasn't been mentioned is a rocking chair -- good for parent and baby. It was the most comfortable place for me to nurse my babies and as they grew it was the place we would cuddle and read bedtime stories. Because I had back troubles, the rocking chair also provided me with great back support and it became my favorite place to sit, with or without someone in my lap.

If you are going to breastfeed, do not skimp on the breast pump. You really do get what you pay for and the quality will make a big difference in your comfort. Oh, and do purchase a tube of lanolin creme. By the third day you will need it.

Another vote for a sling of some kind. I used a Snugli, but that was 25 years ago. They are great for when baby gets fussy (with mine it was late afternoon). I think the Snugli was the only way I managed to get dinner on the table.

If you have a sling you won't really need to run right out and buy a stroller/buggy -- but, the combination carrier/carseat/stroller described by Derf sounds like it's worth checking out. I've noticed many of the new moms around here using those. Lots of new inventions since my kids were born!

Posted by Yerevan (# 10383) on :

I'd second what other people have posted. One little thing we've found fun and useful is a baby mirror. He was fascinated with it pretty much from birth and we now prop it up by his changing mat to keep him occupied. We've also found baby sleeping bags (grobags) brilliant. They are suposed to be safer than blankets as there's no risk of smothering if the correct size is used, but are usually a bit big for newborns (our son went into his at five weeks). If you're breastfeeding do set up a comfy breastfeeding corner and invest in an electric pump if you plan to express. This isn't quite
'things to buy' but its worth finding out about local breastfeeding support in advance too. It can be surprisingly hard to get right.

Oh yes, baby sleeping bags are great. Even if the first one we got that was supposedly 0-6 months she grew out of at 3 months.... Sizes of those and clothes vary vastly from shop to shop.

One thing I wish we'd discovered earlier than we did is washable wipes. We'd been dutifully cleaning her bum with cotton wool and water like we were shown in hospital and got through masses of cotton wool. Washable wipes do the job so much better. I gather they do a better job than the disposable ones you buy too. They're easy for us because we're using washable nappies, but there's no reason you can't do them in a normal wash (which you'll be doing plenty of!) You can get various different kinds, one option is here.

Posted by Gwai (# 11076) on :

Most of what I would say has been said, but just to jump on a couple boats:

YES YES YES to the good sling. I highly advise going to a place that will let you try them on, with the child, if you can. We were given three of them before Gnome was born. One of them I couldn't stand, one of them Gnome couldn't stand, and one of them we both loved. Then she got too heavy to carry that way at about 12-18 months. I thought I was done with that until I met the Ergo. Gnome is 3 and a half now, and I STILL wear her in the Ergo to bicycle. They should probably make me a cheerleader or something, because I truly can not say enough good things about it. Still, it's totally confusing at first because it has so many options. We got a tutorial from the shop assistant, and that helped a lot.

Otherwise I'd invest in cloth diapers. They are soooo much cheaper, but they're also not nearly as gross as you'd think as long as you find out what you are doing ahead of time. (Something to do while one is anticipating anyway.) They don't always fit on newborns, but they work like a charm after that.

Otherwise, if you don't plan to wear the small one around the house, I'd totally go with the bouncy chair, and by the time they can sit up without help, one of those amazing bouncers that you can hang in doorways. Gnome would do that for forever on end, and then go straight to sleep afterwards. Double win!

Didn't need:
Bottle warmers, wipe warmers etc. Gnome never cared.
newborn size clothes. She grew too fast to need them.
Burp cloths. Just used the blankets that we tended to have everywhere for everything.
A million fancy toys for the first year. Everything is fascinating. They don't care whether it's called a toy if you'll let them play with it, so they need fewer toys than you'd think.

Posted by Niminypiminy (# 15489) on :

Yes: sling (we had an ergo and it went on and on being useful -- once boy2 and boy 1 was jealous, I could still have 3 y.o. boy2 in the sling -- on my back -- so he could be the baby, or I could put boy2 in there and have two arms free for boy1).

Yes: cloth nappies, so much easier than you think, although don't feel you can never ever use a disposable (and also yes: cloth wipes, once you are washing nappies. Much more effective than baby wipes).

Yes: muslin squares. Useful for emergency nappies, burp cloths, to swaddle in the early days, wipe up sick, as bibs. Mine are still going strong as tea towels.

Buy second-hand: travel cot, bouncy chair

No: baby gym. I made my own by pegging christmas decorations to a washing line hung between two chairs, and laid the babes on a blanket.

No: expensive buggy

My top tip, however, is: when your baby is in the moses basket stage, don't bother buying the sheets that are supposed to fit them. Instead put a pillowcase over the mattress. Then when the baby sicks over it (as they inevitably will) you can wipe the worst of it up and turn it over. (A slattern's tip, but useful in the middle of the night.)

[ 19. January 2012, 13:57: Message edited by: Niminypiminy ]

We love our ergo! I've got a newborn insert for this time around but I haven't tried it as I still prefer a wrap for a small one. I loved it when my first child got older though - particularly memorable was a trip to Australia with a nearly 1 year old when we went to a kangaroo farm-type place and walked amongst them feeding them. Lots of babies in pouches [Big Grin]

Posted by birdie (# 2173) on :

Just to demonstrate once again that everyone's different, here's my list:

Don't bother:
- sling. Both my kids HATED them, whichever ones we tried. They just didn't want to be worn.
- muslin squares. Not up to the job if your baby does anything more than dribble. If as reflux-y as my second, you need towels.
- breast pump. Just never used it*, although obviously that's different if you're planning to go back to work and still want to give breastmilk.

Do bother:
- Moses basket/carry cot. Handy to be able to have them sleeping wherever you are, and to be able to have a familiar place for them to sleep if you're out at family's or whatnot.
- bouncy chair. Although if you have a second child and your first one is of an experimental bent, make sure the Elder is not doing physics investigations by holding the back of the chair down and seeing if they can ping the Younger out.
- one of those car seats like a bucket you can take out and carry. You won't use it for long as they get really heavy but it's very handy for getting sleeping teenies in and out of the car.

**have just realised this is a total lie, but the circumstances were unusual. Never used a breast pump with no.1, who was breastfed until 15 months. No.2 had cleft lip & palate and was tube fed so I expressed for the first couple of months so she had at least some breast milk. That was with a super-duper milking maching like they have in the hospital though, which was on loan from them. I wouldn't have bought one, all other things being equal.

Posted by ken (# 2460) on :

quote:
Originally posted by birdie:

- muslin squares. Not up to the job if your baby does anything more than dribble.

Beg to differ. Not until you have been using them for a few months can you even begin to imagine all the diverse and unexpected uses to which small muslin cloths can be put. Many involving the baby. But not all. They are the duct tape of family life [Razz]

Posted by birdie (# 2173) on :

Yeah, I know. I'm just a tad bitter about all the times when I would mention A's pukiness, and someone would pipe up 'ooh, I had a pukey baby - muslin squares, that's what you want!'. Listen, pal, when this girl pukes, she really pukes. When we leave the house, I take four changes of clothes for her, two for me, and towels. Lots of towels. At her peak, she was producing three loads of washing a day herself, and could soak any adult holding her to the skin, no trouble.

Muslin squares. Hah.

Posted by Auntie Doris (# 9433) on :

quote:
Originally posted by birdie:

- muslin squares. Not up to the job if your baby does anything more than dribble. If as reflux-y as my second, you need towels.

I can verify this information. A spectacular amount of puke for a wee thing. The Mister has just commented that he was very impressed at Mr Birdie's talent of scooping up puke with one hand whilst holding the small child in question. He thought it was skilful and well practised.

Auntie Doris x

Posted by Amos (# 44) on :

The Amosling is all grown up (mostly) but her father still goes around with a muslin square stuffed in his pocket. Better than a handkerchief, he says. A towel wouldn't fit. Three cheers for muslin squares!

(The Amosling gently regurgitated three-quarters of all the milk she consumed)

[ 19. January 2012, 21:40: Message edited by: Amos ]

Posted by Boogie (# 13538) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Gwai:

Otherwise, if you don't plan to wear the small one around the house, I'd totally go with the bouncy chair, and by the time they can sit up without help, one of those amazing bouncers that you can hang in doorways. Gnome would do that for forever on end, and then go straight to sleep afterwards. Double win!

Oh yes! Boogielet1 was VERY easily bored and this piece of apparatus was a godsend! I used to put postcards up for him to look at. I had to change them often to keep his interest, but it worked a treat!

Regarding slings, I've heard that some places have 'sling meets' where you can try out different slings before you buy one. I don't know any more than that, but google might help.

Posted by Chorister (# 473) on :

Why is it, when I read about 'baby slings', a picture similar to this pops up in my mind? (I'm sure they used to be called 'baby carriers' back in the day).

Posted by Ferijen (# 4719) on :

I'm loving the suggestions for best/worst things to get. So on to other questions... disposables vs reusables? Why did you choose what you did?

Re-usables for son; they were a sort of Y shape, fastened with nappy pins so that there were 3 layers of towelling at the front. They didn't work on my daughter, as there was less padding underneath where it was needed for her, so I used disposables.

Since then there has been a huge increase in styles available, so if I was having a baby now it would definitely be re-usables.

(Not sure if there's a connection, but son was quick and easy to potty train, possibly because his reusables made it less pleasant to be wet. Daughter took far longer to come out of nappies.)

Posted by Tom Day (# 3630) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Ferijen:
I'm loving the suggestions for best/worst things to get. So on to other questions... disposables vs reusables? Why did you choose what you did?

We used re-useables for our first 2, and, unfortunately, disposables mainly for number 3.

Re-useables were great for the first 2 (until they got too big so now at night the 4 y/old does use disposables) Yes, they required a bit more work when changing etc but they did save a fair bit of money and a lot of rubbish! We even managed htem camping once but only once - it was a little like hard work!

I don't know why, but we started on reuseables for number 3 but have ended up with disposables. Part of it is that the re-useables we had were quite used and did not 'hold' as much liquid as they used to. It was also easier at the time as there was a lot more washing to be done etc. I do have regrets on that front but hey!

We're on reusables, but disposables at night because too many people told us of their inability to get reusables to work overnight. Some people do manage it though. It's working well for us, very much aided by the purchase of a tumble drier! (This is no doubt not helping our carbon footprint but you can't win them all). One thing we've found is that the washables are way better at containing poo explosions (which the sczlet is an expert at) than disposables.

The decision on which of the many washables to go for (these ones) was made by being lucky enough to be given the ones that friends had finished with (thanks Flausa). I think had I been faced with all the options out there I'd still be trying to decide! The nappy lady does an advice service if you're wondering what might work for you - I didn't use it but have heard the advice is sensible and not just a sales pitch.

As for why, mainly hating the idea of sending so much stuff to landfill.

[ 22. January 2012, 14:42: Message edited by: Derf ]

Posted by Keren-Happuch (# 9818) on :

We started both KGlets on reusables. KGlet1 stayed in them until he was about 2, KGlet2 took against them at about 18 months and is now in disposables. I'd definitely recommend them though. In our area, there's a cloth nappy group where you can try out different styles and see what works for you and your baby.

We're doing reusables - much much cheaper but takes a bit of getting used to.

Posted by Yam-uk (# 12791) on :

Just to poke my toe into this thread, my first niece (or nephew!) is due in May.

Would welcome any ideas as to what the impending parents would appreciate from an impending uncle [Smile]

[ 22. January 2012, 17:26: Message edited by: Yam-uk ]

Posted by Drifting Star (# 12799) on :

Speaking as an old-hand aunt and godmother, I would say that the first thing the parents will want is for you to recognise the uniqueness, beauty and intelligence of their offspring, and to always be struck by and admiring of the aforesaid amazing attributes. Ditto about their stamina and parenting skills. Baby sitting would probably go down well too.

Don't forget, though, that as the offspring gets older, your allegiance shifts more directly to the child. Then your job is to give them the things that their parents don't - whoopee cushions, silly putty and the like. You should also have them to stay and allow them to stay up all night playing computer games and watching mildly unsuitable stuff on iplayer, and to live on chocolate, because it won't hurt them for a short time, and it will make you the coolest uncle ever (or aunt - shouldn't make assumptions based on your avatar!)

You will then have earned the right to give them advice when they really need it and their parents, however wonderful, are the last people they will turn to.

We'd just like to say thank you to everyone who made suggestions about stuff to buy. Thank you. You're lovely people.

Posted by St Everild (# 3626) on :

What Drifting Star said...

Posted by JB (# 1776) on :

We have a delivery. About 0100 MST, Grandchild Number 4 showed up.

This second-hand childbearing sure is stressful.

Posted by welsh dragon (# 3249) on :

many congrats from us!

Posted by Tree Bee (# 4033) on :

Congratulations from me too!

Posted by kentishmaid (# 4767) on :

Congratulations!

quote:
Originally posted by St Everild:
What Drifting Star said...

Yes, and upon re-reading it, I think it belongs in the Quotes File. [Biased]

Posted by piglet (# 11803) on :

Congratulations, JB!

Yam-uk - all of what Drifting Star said plus as soon as he/she arrives give him/her an irresistibly cuddly teddy-bear (or other furry friend). It may turn out to be The Friend Without Which Life Is Meaningless™ (most babies seem to have one) and you'll feel all warm and fuzzy that it was you who gave it.

When my first nephew was born I gave him a little Snoopy who went everywhere with him. My sister could even distinguish the "I can't find Snoopy" cry from any other sort of cry, and had to resort to endless subterfuge when he needed to be laundered.

Nephew is now married and they're expecting their first baby in the summer.

potential great-auntie piglet [Smile]

Does nephew still have the Snoopy?

After two weeks of the baby being properly positioned but just not interested in coming out, we are going for the induction tomorrow morning.

Ooooh, exciting, hope all goes well and it doesn't take too long once things get going. [Votive]

She decided to start coming on her own in the small hours of the morning. Mum and baby are both well.

Posted by Cottontail (# 12234) on :

Many many congratulations, Dafyd. And welcome to the little one. [Smile]

Congratulations, Dafyd! [Yipee]

PS in reply to WW's post ages ago (which I didn't notice [Hot and Hormonal] ) re my nephew's Snoopy: I very much doubt it.

Congratulations!!

[Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee]

Many congrats from (all 4) of us [grin]

Congratulations! [Yipee]

Posted by nomadicgrl (# 7623) on :

Congratulations to Dafyd and the little Daffodil.

Posted by Jengie Jon (# 273) on :

Another academic I suspect burning the midnight oil to meet the deadline.

Congratulations

Jengie

quote:
Originally posted by welsh dragon:
Many congrats from (all 4) of us [grin]

You slipped that one in [Biased]

Auntie Doris x

quote:
Originally posted by Jengie Jon:
Another academic I suspect burning the midnight oil to meet the deadline.

We think so.
Thank you everyone. The wee one has a hearty appetite and is doing very well.

And congratulations to welsh dragon if she's announcing a new number four?

Hi, hearty appetite sounds good Dafyd! We have number 2, as of 15th Feb, so we now have 4 people in total in our little family.

Posted by the famous rachel (# 1258) on :

Congratulations Dafyd and Welsh Dragon.

I find it hard to believe that the Famous Baby is 16 months old now.

My comments on what to buy in advance come to late for Dafyd, but possibly someone else will find them useful. I guess my recommendations would be similar to some other people's:

Definitely buy:

1. A sling. We had a BabyBjorn, which I know some others don't like, but which we found both very comfortable and easy to use. The baby loved it, and has only very recently grown to big for it. We used it pretty much every day for 15 months. One caveat: you have to get it set up right with the straps the correct length to be comfortable. The straps need to be quite tight and the baby right against your body. (We also have the one with the extra panel for lumbar support, which helps.) If you're really tiny, don't buy one: I'm tallish but slimmish (about a UK size 8 or 10), and I wore some of the straps on ours in the smallest possible position.

2. Swaddle wraps: We never mastered swaddling with a blanket, and since for the first 2 months the famous baby wouldn't sleep at night unless he was swaddled, these were a godsend. The ones we used were from grobag, and didn't have velcro, so the ones someone else suggested with velcro sound even better.

3. A breast pump: If you intend to breastfeed buy a decent manual pump even if you don't think you will want to express. We had real feeding problems in the first few days, and if I hadn't mastered breast pumping would have had to have switched to formula feeding. With the pump we were able to bottle feed using breastmilk until the baby felt strong enough to actually feed from the breast, and I eventually breastfed for a year, which was a source of contentment to all of us. However, at the point when we needed the pump, we really needed it, and straight away. We used a Philips Avent.

Possibly don't buy:

1. Lots of clothes in "Newborn" or "First size". The famous baby was born a big lad and some of his Newborn clothes never fit him. We also got a lot of Newborn size clothes as presents, some of which were only worn once. If you have a tiny baby you can pop out and buy smaller clothes, but if you have a biggun, large numbers of small clothes just sit on the shelf.

2. A pramsuit that doesn't have integrated and and foot covers. We had one with separate booties and mittens. It was a nightmare to get on the boy, and we essentially never used it. The ones with flaps that allow you to fold the sleeves and legs over hands and feet respectively are sooooo much easier.

3. Baby powder: We still have an entire pot untouched on the shelf.

Good luck to all the expectant parents out there.

Rachel.

Re powder, I gather that one very much depends on the gender of the baby!

Baby powder is incredibly useful for getting sand off your feet after you've been to the beach, so it's worth hanging on to - it will come in handy eventually... [Biased]

Rachel's advice works well for most babies, but they're all different. Mine hates slings and swaddling (and anything else which restricted his ability to wriggle around or see what's going on). He's very smiley and sociable but quite 'independent'.

Posted by Jigsaw (# 11433) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Keren-Happuch:
Baby powder is incredibly useful for getting sand off your feet after you've been to the beach, so it's worth hanging on to - it will come in handy eventually... [Biased]

Oh, I wish I'd known that 20 years or more ago....

Posted by Jemima the 9th (# 15106) on :

Ahem. A rather cautious bumpety-bump.
I'm much more a lurker than a poster, so this feels a little cheeky, but never mind! [Smile] Child C is due on June 9th. I've been far too busy working and looking after children A&B to give it any thought until now, but the "Oh my word, I'm going to have a baby" realisation appears to be sinking in. With an equal mixture of joy, excitement and panic.

I'll race ya! Okay, no, not really [Biased] , but with the boy due June 14th, It's certainly been a big topic in my mind too. The girl is pretty psyched about being a big sister now, but we'll see what she thinks in a few weeks.

Posted by Silver Faux (# 8783) on :

quote:
I'll race ya! Okay, no, not really [Biased] , but with the boy due June 14th, It's certainly been a big topic in my mind too. The girl is pretty psyched about being a big sister now, but we'll see what she thinks in a few weeks.

Remembering from a blessed event in our family:
Mommeee! He's noisy and he's smelly and he's always in the way!
Put him back in your tummy and leave him there!

quote:

How exciting! I'll join you in a not really race. [Biased] I'd really, really like at least a week of leave before the baby arrives; I'm not in the slightest bit organised and I'd love a bit of time with my feet up.

Posted by Pants (# 999) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Jemima the 9th:
... Child C is due on June 9th...

What a perfect day for a birthday! [Big Grin]

I aim to please! [Big Grin]

Posted by savedbyhim01 (# 17035) on :

Number two was born two months ago. Second son. Handsome and delightful as he can be. He does have a bad habit of wanting my wife and I to hold him all the time though and screaming if we don't. Makes our life a lot busier, that's for sure.

Finally! I am very, very happy to announce that PaulW and i are expecting our first baby in December. It has been a tricky first trimester with lots of bleeding and panicking. Hopefully things have settled down somewhat now [Smile]

Auntie Doris x

Posted by Kelly Alves (# 2522) on :

[Axe murder] [Big Grin] [Yipee] No words.

[Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee]

Posted by Adrienne (# 2334) on :

Many, many congratulations and much love Auntie Doris and PaulW [Smile] [Yipee] That is such wonderful news!

Congratulations! Thats brilliant.

Savedbyhim, have you tried a sling?

Posted by Curiosity killed ... (# 11770) on :

Congratulations - in the proper place!

Posted by Earwig (# 12057) on :

Congratulations Auntie Doris and Paul W! Brilliant news. [Big Grin] [Yipee]

Congratulations SBH! I missed that.
And congratulations Auntie Doris & Paul W. Wonderful stuff! [Big Grin] I hope all is plain sailing from here on.

Posted by Japes (# 5358) on :

[Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee] For Auntie Doris and PaulW

Posted by Jenn. (# 5239) on :

Congrat to AUntie D and Paul W. Sooooooo happy!

Posted by nomadicgrl (# 7623) on :

Congratulations to Auntie Doris! Wonderful news.

Posted by Lothlorien (# 4927) on :

Wonderful news for you both. [Smile] [Smile]

Posted by Gill H (# 68) on :

Fantatic news!

December babies RULE...

Posted by Miffy (# 1438) on :

Congratulations Auntie Doris and Paul W. Wonderful wonderful news! [Yipee]

Posted by daisydaisy (# 12167) on :

Brilliant news - congratulations Auntie D & Paul W

The winter is a fab time to be heavily pregnant because its cool.

quote:
Originally posted by Auntie Doris:
Finally! I am very, very happy to announce that PaulW and i are expecting our first baby in December.

Hooray. Congratulations and good luck.

[Yipee] [Yipee] Congratulations!

That is such brilliant news! It's made my day! [Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee]

Posted by Enigma (# 16158) on :

Fantastic news - congratulations Auntie Doris and PaulW - continued prayers for all 3 of you. [Axe murder]

Such good news - well done both of you.

And this child has such a lot of honorary aunties, uncles and god-parents already...

Posted by Kitten (# 1179) on :

I'm really happy for you both
[Yipee]

Posted by jackanapes (# 12374) on :

Over the moon for you guys! [Axe murder] [Yipee]

Posted by Boogie (# 13538) on :

Auntie Dorris

[Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee]

(Wonderful news!)

With a name like Auntie Dorris I thought you were an old woman like me!

Posted by kentishmaid (# 4767) on :

[Axe murder] [Yipee]

Yay, yay & thrice yay! Absolutely brilliant news! So pleased for you.

Posted by Balaam (# 4543) on :

I've already congratulated Auntie Doris on her blog.

If you go to that Blog dated today (29th May) (link in her sig,) you'll find an interesting picture.

Just saying. [Smile]

Posted by Dormouse (# 5954) on :

Huzzah! Huzzah! Huzzah! I have a big beam on my face and tears in my eyes. I'm so pleased for you. [Yipee]

Posted by neandergirl (# 8916) on :

Yay! Congrats to all! Hooray babies!

[Big Grin]

Big congrats to Auntie Doris and PaulW!! I hope our little shippie-to-be has smooth sailing until launch date.

Posted by M. (# 3291) on :

Juat addin' my many congrats to Auntie Doris and PaulW!

M.

Posted by jedijudy (# 333) on :

Yay Auntie Doris and PaulW! Wonderful news! [Yipee] [Axe murder]

Posted by JoannaP (# 4493) on :

[Yipee] [Votive] [Yipee]

Posted by Spike (# 36) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
With a name like Auntie Dorris I thought you were an old woman like me!

She is! [Razz] [Snigger]

Congratulations sweetie! [Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee]

Lots of congratulations Auntie D. and PaulW. [Yipee]

Posted by Meg the Red (# 11838) on :

Best Christmas present ever! So happy for both of you [Axe murder]

Posted by QLib (# 43) on :

Congratulations! Start organizing December now! [Smile]

Hope it's all plain sailing from now on.

Posted by Amazing Grace (# 95) on :

Congratulations Auntie Doris and PaulW!! [Yipee] [Yipee]

Have our June babies arrived? My birthday is the 14th - I'd love another birthday buddy [Biased] .

Posted by Ferijen (# 4719) on :

Not a June date, but baby ferijen was born on 26th May. He is rather lovely and despite some initial minor complications, we are all doing ok here.

Hooray. Congratulations.

Many congrats from us too!

...and from me.

Congratulations Ferijen! [Yipee]

Posted by guinness girl (# 4391) on :

congratulations Ferijen! [Big Grin]

and Auntie Doris and PaulW - late to see your announcement, but I am actually crying with joy for you. Congratulations! [Yipee]

Congratulations, Ferijen!

Congratulations, Ferijen! [Smile]

Congratulations to Ferijen

Posted by Balaam (# 4543) on :

Congratulations Ferijen. Now you both deserve a good sleep.

Another early arrival here as the tiny man was preemie and arrived May 21st, but seeing him the day before his due date, he is well and his early arrival is enabling us to move house this Saturday.

Congratulations to Gwai, good luck with the move

Congrats Ferijen and Gwai.

Auntie Doris x

21st May is the best birthday! [Biased]
Congratulations!

Congratulations to Ferijen and to Gwai, and good luck with the house move!

[Yipee] [Yipee]

Congratulations, Gwai. I'm feeling sorry that a 2012 babies shipmeet is probably impractical.

Congratulations, Gwai, and hope the move goes smoothly

Congratulations Gwai and Ferijen! [Smile] [Yipee]

quote:
Originally posted by Keren-Happuch:
Congratulations Gwai and Ferijen! [Smile] [Yipee]

Ditto

Posted by neandergirl (# 8916) on :

Yay for babies! Congrats Ferijen and Gwai!

Congratulations Gwai & Ferijen! [Yipee]
Child C arrived on Friday 8th, a day early. All went well, & he was a good size (8lb10). Home next day and getting used to the mountains of laundry and lack of sleep that babies bring with them. We've all got colds too, including the boy, which has made him quite grumpy, and me quite worried.

He is a bit lovely, though, so I'll let him off. [Big Grin]

Silly me, I meant I'm letting him off the lack of sleep. The cold his hardly his fault! Mummy brain is alive and well......

Congratulations Jemima the 9th, Gwai and Ferijen!!

[Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee]

Congratulations, Jt9, and welcome to Child C! [Yipee]

Hope all your colds get better soon. [Smile]

Posted by PeteC (# 10422) on :

Belated welcome to all the little shippies-in-training!

quote:
Originally posted by PeteC:
Belated welcome to all the little shippies-in-training!

Cadets perhaps?

And welcome from me too. Lovely news.

Many congratulations to Ferijen, Gwai and Jemima, and welcome new babies!

Congratulations Jemima.
We seem somehow or other to have managed to look after the Dafling for thirteen weeks without breaking anything or causing permanent bodily harm. She even seems to smile and be happy.

Ooh - another one -- congratulations Jemima and family. God Bless you all

Not an actual Ship baby, but I've just become Great-auntie Piglet. Welcome to planet Earth Marla Daisy! [Smile]

Posted by Jante (# 9163) on :

I'vve just become a grand mother- baby girl arrived by caeserian section yesterday - can't believe how like her Dad she looks! [Yipee] [Yipee] [Biased]

Scan went well today [Smile] All looks fine, and it would seem that we are having a boy [Smile]

Auntie Doris x

Posted by Zacchaeus (# 14454) on :

Auntie Doris there are times when I wish we had a like button on the shipxxxx [Axe murder]

Posted by Boadicea Trott (# 9621) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Auntie Doris:
Scan went well today [Smile] All looks fine, and it would seem that we are having a boy [Smile]

Auntie Doris x

I am so glad! [Yipee] You have been very much in my thoughts and prayers today.

Good news indeed.

Congratulations Grandma Jante, and good to hear that Auntie D's scan went well. [Smile]

Posted by kingsfold (# 1726) on :

I have a nephew. Scary...

Congratulations, Auntie kingsfold!

Congratulations Auntie!

Congratulations. Make sure you get cuddles.

[ 29. August 2012, 10:44: Message edited by: Dafyd ]

Blimey, look how long it is since someone posted on here!

We are doing well and just six weeks (or so!) to go now.

Time has just flown by!!

Auntie Doris x

Posted by balaam (# 4543) on :

Put your feet up AD, you need to conserve your energy.

quote:
Originally posted by kingsfold:
I have a nephew. Scary...

How do you know he's scary if he's only just been born? [Big Grin]

PS Congratulations! [Smile]

PaulW and I are happy to announce that Edward James was delivered safely at 8.13am today after a 3.5 hour labour. He weighed 7lbs 6.5oz.

We are both smitten and he is gorgeous!!

Auntie Doris x [Yipee]

Posted by Sioni Sais (# 5713) on :

Yay! Congratulations. [Big Grin]

Brilliant news!

Congratulations to you both and a warm Shiply welcome to Edward James.

Congratulations! What lovely news! [Smile]
[Yipee]

Posted by M. (# 3291) on :

Wonderful news, Auntie Doris!!

M.

Posted by Meg the Red (# 11838) on :

How lovely! [Yipee]

Posted by Kelly Alves (# 2522) on :

Hooray! [Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee]

Brilliant news! Welcome Edward James. And congratulations to PaulW and Auntie (Mummy?) Doris.

So happy for you both, congratulations!

Posted by St. Gwladys (# 14504) on :

Congratulaions Auntie Doris!

Posted by Ann (# 94) on :

[Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee]

Posted by mrs whibley (# 4798) on :

Many congratulations to you both! And so considerate of him to make a rapid appearance in the morning! [Smile]

Wonderful news! [Yipee]

Posted by Viola (# 20) on :

Congratulations Auntie Doris! Excellent names and well done on the short labour!

Posted by Spike (# 36) on :

[Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee]

Congratulations, Auntie Doris and PaulW!

[Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee]

Posted by Chorister (# 473) on :

Congratulations, and welcome to baby Edward James [Smile]

Posted by JoannaP (# 4493) on :

Excellent news. [Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee]

Congratulations and welcome to the world, Edward [Smile]

Posted by Surfing Madness (# 11087) on :

Congratulation Auntie Doris and PaulW [Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee]

Posted by basso (# 4228) on :

Congratulations!

Welcome to little Edward James and congrats to Auntie Doris and PaulW!

Congratulations AD and PaulW! [Yipee]

Posted by Pigwidgeon (# 10192) on :

I only checked this thread to see if there was any news -- wow! Congratulations!
[Axe murder]

Posted by Adrienne (# 2334) on :

Many congratulations [Smile]

Congratulations.

Many congratulations to you, and much love to little Edward.

Forgot to say... [Yipee]

Posted by Gussie (# 12271) on :

Congratulations!

Posted by Boadicea Trott (# 9621) on :

Well done, Auntie Doris!

Many, many congratulations! [Yipee]

Posted by Zacchaeus (# 14454) on :

Wonderful. xxxxxx

Posted by Lamb Chopped (# 5528) on :

[Yipee]

Posted by Heavenly Anarchist (# 13313) on :

Congratulations [Smile]

Congratulations Auntie D andPaul - and welcome Edward! Somehow I missed this news until now

© Ship of Fools 2016