Thread: Sir Patrick Moore RIP Board: Oblivion / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=70;t=024492

Posted by geroff (# 3882) on :

I have just seen this: Sir Patrick Moore has died today aged 89.
And I thought heaven was an appropriate place for all of our memories of him....

Posted by Sioni Sais (# 5713) on :

quote:
Originally posted by geroff:
I have just seen this: Sir Patrick Moore has died today aged 89.
And I thought heaven was an appropriate place for all of our memories of him....

I thought of Sir Patrick this morning when I heard someone mention that forty years ago Apollo 17, the last moon landing mission, was on its way to the moon.

Posted by Firenze (# 619) on :

We're a little too frivolous...

All Saints is our usual gaff. Posting you there now.

Firenze
Heaven Host

Posted by Pine Marten (# 11068) on :

I used to watch The Sky at Night a lot when I was younger and really into astronomy.

How sad. RIP Sir Patrick, among the stars [Votive] .

Posted by Sandemaniac (# 12829) on :

Sky At Night was always way past my bedtime but even then I absorbed some of the Moore magic.

Tonight we went out with the binos, found somewhere I could prop them firmly on, and ogled the Galilean moons of Jupiter (brightest light in the Eastern sky, unless you live west of an all-night garage). I've not seen them since a schoolmate showed me them through his telescope back when God was a boy, but tonight there they were, showing off in tribute to Sir Patrick.

RIP, and may you love the celestial harmonies as much from your place amongst the spheres as you did on this sphere.

AG

[ 09. December 2012, 17:46: Message edited by: Sandemaniac ]

Posted by Barnabas62 (# 9110) on :

I saw the first ever "Sky at Night", thought, "that's a good idea!" Little did I know.

R.I.P Sir P.

Posted by Adeodatus (# 4992) on :

When I was in the astronomy society at Newcastle University a few decades back, we invited him several times to come and do a guest lecture. He always declined, with elegant and gentlemanly excuses, that in retrospect probably meant "have you any idea how far north you people are?!"

I remember his excellent, enthusiastic tv presence during the Moon landings. They really don't make 'em like him any more.

Posted by ken (# 2460) on :

If you weren't there at the time its impossible to describe how important Patrick Moore was to curious English kids growing up in the 1960s. And The Sky at Night was and is arguably the greatest popular science programme on TV. May you rest in peace and rise in glory, you curmudgeonly old right-wing scientific hero. And may your telescopes ever shine. Even if you told me bollocks when I met you on a radio show when I was twelve. I'm gutted. I somehow hoped you'd make it.

Posted by ken (# 2460) on :

Shit. I'm genuinely upset. I know people die every day. I know famous people die every day. And its always a tragedy when anyone dies. But this hurts a little. Even though he's been seriously ill for decades and was very old and it was obviously about to happen. Which is egotistical really because he was part of the formation of my mind. That sounds more pompous than I meant. I think I know what I mean.

Posted by LeRoc (# 3216) on :

I saw him on TV a couple of times when I was young, I'm not sure if they showed his program on Dutch television or if it was on BBC.

Respect for this man. Rest in peace.

Posted by Aggie (# 4385) on :

RIP Sir Patrick [Votive]

Posted by dj_ordinaire (# 4643) on :

RIP indeed. A great scientific character. Not many in that mold left, alas...

© Ship of Fools 2016