Thread: Saying Grace-what's your take? Board: Oblivion / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=70;t=024839

Posted by George6833 (# 14995) on :

Hi there- I got into the habit many years ago of giving thanks to God for many things, especially a meal or a snack. Perchance to get to particpate in a wonderful part of life, i.e. a visit to a museum, a walk in a beautiful park, a concert etc. I'm not sure wether it be of supplication or true thanks, but I believe the latter. Sobeit. Here's my very brief prayer, I'm sure plagarized from another source than mine head:
We give you thanks Lord for what you have given us. Bless this, Lord to our use and our lives to your purpose. All this we pray through Jesus Christ, our Lord. Our strength and our Redeemer.
Amen.
Out of curiosity what are your personal thanksgivings?

Posted by Michael Astley (# 5638) on :

"Saying Grace-what's your take?"

Sung.

Posted by Hart (# 4991) on :

In the name of the Father the Son and Holy Spirit.

[Optional preamble:
God, we give you thanks for this day and this food [and optional optional other things], we ask you to bless the hands that prepared it and keep us every mindful of those who go without, as we say]

Bless us, O Lord, and these thy gifts that we are about to receive from thy bounty through Christ, our Lord. Amen.

Posted by Pigwidgeon (# 10192) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Hart:
Bless us, O Lord, and these thy gifts that we are about to receive from thy bounty through Christ, our Lord. Amen.

I remember as a child being very puzzled by this, wondering what the heck a bounty was. Luckily, at the time, I had heard of neither the Mutiny or the brand of paper towels, or I would have been more puzzled.

Posted by aredstatemystic (# 11577) on :

I've been trying to turn over a new leaf of being completely honest whenever I pray extemporaneously. So, a few weeks ago, I was in the company of friends for dinner and they asked me to bless the meal. I said: "Lord, you confuse the hell out of us, but thanks for this food, anyway."

It's probably good I seldom pray extemporaneously in public. Normally, I stick to the old formula, "For these and all thy gifts, may we be truly thankful." [Biased]

[ 22. June 2012, 21:36: Message edited by: aredstatemystic ]

Posted by Padre Joshua (# 13100) on :

O God, we thank you for this food. Bless the hands which prepared it. Bless it to the nourishment of our bodies and our bodies to your service; through Christ our Lord. Amen.

Posted by LutheranChik (# 9826) on :

Ditto Padre Joshua's grace, give or take extemporaneous variations depending on the situation.

Posted by Graven Image (# 8755) on :

Ditto Luthern Chik, Via Padre Joshua, and add bless the ones who harvested it.

Posted by Belle Ringer (# 13379) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Padre Joshua:
O God, we thank you for this food. Bless the hands which prepared it. Bless it to the nourishment of our bodies and our bodies to your service; through Christ our Lord. Amen.

Yes to noticing some human being worked to make the meal possible. God invented chickens, humans turn it into coq au vin. A friend who slaved in the hot kitchen several hours to make a meal got a bit annoyed when only God was thanked, like her effort wasn't worth noticing?

I used to have friends come over for a meal, each one wanted to say grace, some went on for several minutes. Food got cold while they prayed, so I insisted they say grace before the food is served, while it was still in the kitchen staying warm.

Isn't Jesus reported as picking up the bread and saying thanks "during the meal" rather than specifically before it? I've wondered about that.

Posted by Oblatus (# 6278) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Belle Ringer:
I used to have friends come over for a meal, each one wanted to say grace, some went on for several minutes. Food got cold while they prayed, so I insisted they say grace before the food is served, while it was still in the kitchen staying warm.

I think brief is good. Our rector had a two-word Latin grace he sometimes used before a parish lunch. Anyone know it? Seems like each word was a form of "benedictus." Oh, here's a thing about it:

quote:
The Latin Grace "Benedictus Benedicat, Per Jesum Christum Dominum Nostrum". "May the Blessed One (i.e. the Lord) bless (this food)" to which the Return Grace Benedicto Benedicatur responds "Let blessings be given back to the Blessed One" through Jesus Christ our Lord, is several centuries old. It is actually a very old Jesuit grace.
-- from this strange website but I'm sure many other sources also

Posted by Michael Astley (# 5638) on :

Either:

quote:
The eyes of all look to You with hope, and You give them their food in due season; You open your hand and fill every living thing with your favour.
Or:

quote:
The poor shall eat and shall be satisfied, and those who seek the Lord shall praise Him; their hearts shall live for ever and ever.
Followed by:

quote:
Blessed are You, Lord, God of our fathers, for You bring forth food from the earth: bread, to strengthen the hearts of your people and wine, to make us glad; and to You we send up glory, and thanksgiving, and worship, to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit, now and ever, and to the ages of ages. Amen.
That's for my personal use at home and isn't any of the set forms, although it incorporates parts of them from east and west.

I love the grace after meals used at church sometimes, in tone 8:

quote:
We give You thanks, O Christ our God, for You have satisfied us with your earthly good gifts. Deprive us not of your heavenly Kingdom, but as You came among your disciples and brought peace so also come among us and save us!

[ 23. June 2012, 06:33: Message edited by: Michael Astley ]

Posted by Trisagion (# 5235) on :

Benedic, Domine, nos et haec + tua dona quae de tua largitate per Chrisum Dominum nostrum. [Bless us, O Lord, and these + thy gifts which are about to eat through thy bounty, through Christ our Lord]

Often, if at home, preceded at lunch or dinner by the sung Latin versions of the incipits used by Michael Astley above, to wit:

At lunch
Oculi omnium in te sperant Domine, et tu das escam illorum in tempore opportuno. Gloria Patri....

At dinner
Edent pauperes et saturabuntur, et laudabunt Dominum qui requirunt eum, vivant corda eorum in saeculum saeculi. Gloria Patri....

I meant to add that after meals:

Lunch
Benedictus Deus in donis suis et sanctus in omnibus operibus suis, per Christum Dominum nostrum, Amen. [God is blessed in his gifts and holy in all his works, through Christ our Lord, Amen]

Gratias agimus tibi, Domine, pro omnibus beneficiis tuis per Dominum nostrum Iesum Christum. [We give thanks to you, Lord, for all your benefits through our Lord Jesus Christ]

Posted by Mary LA (# 17040) on :

A while back I went to supper with a vegetarian friend (mushroom pilaff and spicy baked butternut) and her preachy evangelical brother stood up and gave the Selkirk Grace.

Some hae meat and canna eat, And some wad eat that want it; But we hae meat, and we can eat, Sae let the Lord be thankit.

Vegetarians and vegans aghast. I still don't know if he was amusing himself at our expense or just giving thanks.

Posted by Sacred London (# 15220) on :

After the meal:

O God who gave John the Baptist locusts and honey to eat, we thank you for feeding us with this more interesting meal.

Posted by North East Quine (# 13049) on :

Mary LA, I've always taken "meat" in the Selkirk Grace to mean simply food.

The mix of grain and potato peelings fed to chickens is "hens meat" so it can be used for vegetarian stuff. ("Hens meat" is also used colloquially for something worthless and not worth stealing.)

Our grace is very brief - "Father in Heaven, we thank you for this food." As it's the only time in the day we pray together as a family, we might add a line about someone we know to be ill, or a family event. But it's always short.

I had a culinary disaster once - used red lettuce instead of green in lettuce and courgette soup and the result was a sludgy khaki colour instead of a pleasing green - and my young daughter added "and, dear God, when we open our eyes, please let the soup be a different colour." (It wasn't.)

Posted by Hairy Biker (# 12086) on :

We have one of these thingies. The children love to roll it and read the prayer, but they did struggle with some of the long words at first.

My favorite grace it the limerick:
There once was a lark and a wren
Who dined with a goose and a hen
"Oh Lord" said the goose
"Bless this food to our use
And our lives to your service." Amen

[ 23. June 2012, 10:28: Message edited by: Hairy Biker ]

Posted by Anglican_Brat (# 12349) on :

Nothing beats the BCP:

Blessed are thou, Lord God of Israel forever and ever, all that is in the heaven and earth are thine. All things come of thee and of our own have we given thee, Amen.

Or:
Good God, Good Food, Good Friends, let's eat.

Posted by Evensong (# 14696) on :

I asked this question in Heaven once. Had heaps of brilliant replies.

I took a collection of my favourites and stuck em on my blog

I knew a Naval Chaplain who used to say: "Good wine, good meet, good Lord let us eat."

Posted by Jengie Jon (# 273) on :

Non-Conformist version:

"Good Friends, good meat, Good Lord, let's eat".

Actually that is not fair I was introduced to it by a Roman Catholic.

Jengie

The same chaplain was known to flex it to:"Good wine, good meat, good Lord is that the time?"

Posted by Pigwidgeon (# 10192) on :

One I've heard of, but never used, at youth group outings:
quote:
Rub-a-dub-dub
Thanks for the grub.
Yea God!

Posted by dj_ordinaire (# 4643) on :

On special occasions I still like to use

quote:
Bless, oh Lord, us and thy gifts,
Which by thy bounty Thou hast set before us,
And grant that, being by them healthfully nourished,
We may be better enabled to shew our bounden duty toward Thee,
Through Jesus Christ, our Lord and Saviour

Posted by The Silent Acolyte (# 1158) on :

V.   The eyes of all wait upon thee, O Lord.
R.   And thou givest them their meat in due season.
V.   Thou openest wide thine hand.
R.   And fillest all things living with plenteousness.

V.   Give us grateful hearts, Almighty God, for all thy mercies and make us ever mindful of the needs of others.
R.   Amen.

Posted by Spiffy (# 5267) on :

"Yay, food!"

Simple, ecumenical, grateful, short.

Posted by Zach82 (# 3208) on :

"Of Lord, bless this food to our use and ourselves to thy service."

It's short!

Posted by Mama Thomas (# 10170) on :

quote:
Originally posted by The Silent Acolyte:
V.   The eyes of all wait upon thee, O Lord.
R.   And thou givest them their meat in due season.
V.   Thou openest wide thine hand.
R.   And fillest all things living with plenteousness.

V.   Give us grateful hearts, Almighty God, for all thy mercies and make us ever mindful of the needs of others.

I was just about to ask if anyone knew and used the good-old verses from the 145th. Thanks, TSA.

(I use the verses from the 79 though)
R.   Amen.

Posted by Grailseeker (# 15739) on :

I use the Norwegian grace my grandmother always said. It translates (awkwardly, I know) as "In Jesus' name we come to the table to eat and drink. In accordance with His word, to God be the glory and to us the blessing that we have food."

She was special and it keeps me connected with her and with all she meant to me.

Posted by Ceremoniar (# 13596) on :

"Bless, O Lord, these Thy gift to our use, us to Thy loving service, and make us ever mindful of, and responsive to, the needs of others. Through Thine only Son Jesus Christ Our Lord. Amen."

I learned this from an Anglo-Catholic priest of my youth. He was also a dear friend who taught me much.

Posted by venbede (# 16669) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Mary LA:
A while back I went to supper with a vegetarian friend (mushroom pilaff and spicy baked butternut) and her preachy evangelical brother stood up and gave the Selkirk Grace.

Some hae meat and canna eat, And some wad eat that want it; But we hae meat, and we can eat, Sae let the Lord be thankit.

Vegetarians and vegans aghast. I still don't know if he was amusing himself at our expense or just giving thanks.

In fairness, the word "meat" in the original context meant "food". But not very tactful in the circumstances.

[ 24. June 2012, 14:58: Message edited by: venbede ]

Posted by Martin L (# 11804) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Grailseeker:
I use the Norwegian grace my grandmother always said. It translates (awkwardly, I know) as "In Jesus' name we come to the table to eat and drink. In accordance with His word, to God be the glory and to us the blessing that we have food."

The same was used around here in Norwegian.

In English, we tend to use one of the many forms of "Come, Lord Jesus..." (like this or others).

At church, we usually sing this to OLD HUNDREDTH (the Doxology).

Posted by Wyclif (# 5391) on :

In the 1928 American BCP there are two good prayers for "Grace before Meat" in the back section of Prayers and Thanksgivings that I still use, which works well since this is our parish Prayer Book:

BLESS, O Father, thy gifts to our use and us to thy service; for Christ's sake. Amen.

GIVE us grateful hearts, our Father, for all thy mercies, and make us mindful of the needs of others; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Posted by SeraphimSarov (# 4335) on :

"Bless, O Christ God, the food and drink of Your servants, for You are Holy, Now and Ever and Forever, Amen"

Posted by no_prophet (# 15560) on :

@OP
That God may or may not involve himself in the supply of food or of the company at table. So we have given up thanking God for tangible things in the world, particularly because we don't know what to say when God has not provided. We're trying also not to be mad when things are not provided. God distinctly does not provide sometimes -- are we supposed to say something unthankful at those times? So it is not about thanking, it is about gratitude for us. (If Jesus can supply loaves and fishes to us at some future moment, I promise to change back to thanking.)

So we've been doing things like this: "Let us be glad we are together, glad for good company and good food. Amen" Please help yourself!

Posted by GeoffH (# 133) on :

A pastor I once knew used the following

Oh Lord bless this bunch as they munch their lunch

Posted by GeoffH (# 133) on :

A pastor I once knew used the following

Oh Lord bless this bunch as they munch their lunch

Posted by Enoch (# 14322) on :

I regret that compared with all these cultured or witty graces, ours is much more prosaic.

"Thank you Lord for this food. Bless it and us as we eat it. For Jesus' sake. Amen."

Posted by Albertus (# 13356) on :

At societies' dinners etc: 'For food and drink and good company, thank God.'Says it all, really.

Posted by Morlader (# 16040) on :

My priest BiL prays "for friends, family and food, thanks be to God."
Seems a bit out of place at a pub lunch, though! It shouldn't, I know.

Posted by PD (# 12436) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Mary LA:

Meat is an old word for food of any description. At the time Burns wrote it may have been changing its meaning, but the older definition was still the primary one in the 1780s and 90s. By about 1850 meat came to mean what had previous been referred to as flesh or flesh meat. Of course, the old rule about older meanings hanging around longer in some places than others applies - tha knaws!

PD

[ 24. June 2012, 20:50: Message edited by: PD ]

Posted by Lamb Chopped (# 5528) on :

"Thank you, Lord."

Alternately,

"Come, Lord Jesus, be our guest
And let your gifts to us be blessed. Amen."

During a two-week chant seminar at Saint Meinrad Archabbey, one of my classmates was a monk-priest from St. Louis Abbey in Missouri. At one of the informal lunches (might have been a barbecue or something), someone said Grace in some form or other, and then a few minutes later the monk-priest arrived at the table with his meal, put it down, and did a silent sign of the cross over it. A lay classmate who observed this hissed, "Showoff!"

Posted by Cryptic (# 16917) on :

My mother has inscribed in the first page of her recipe scrapbook the grace from Bishop Howell Witt :

"Accept the praise of a miserable sinner,
O Lord as we thank you for our dinner."

Posted by Lyda*Rose (# 4544) on :

no_prophet:
quote:
That God may or may not involve himself in the supply of food or of the company at table. So we have given up thanking God for tangible things in the world, particularly because we don't know what to say when God has not provided.
So you've stopped eating?

As to it any tangibles "not provided", IMO it's a matter of people falling down on the job. There is plenty of substance out there just waiting to be shared around like the bread and fishes. That only leaves us with the question of why God didn't create us or at least preserve us in perfection so this would happen.

I know you and yours have been through great trials, and you are angry, but still the things you and everyone needs to live exist.

Posted by Lyda*Rose (# 4544) on :

Thinking it over, I realize the post above is probably too personal and pointed. And out of the purview of Ecclesiantics, anyway. My apologies to no_prophet and the Eccles hosts.

Posted by Janine (# 3337) on :

I'm usually amazed that I have been blessed -- lucky? -- enough, to live in a time and a place where all I could possibly want to eat is at hand, and that others had the labor of producing it and cooking it and serving it, if I am a guest or restaurant patron. That feeling is always reflected in any thanks I pray aloud at table.

Posted by Bax (# 16572) on :

Benedictus + benedicat

Posted by Basilica (# 16965) on :

At university, my college grace was a Latin one:

quote:
Quicquam appositum est aut apponetur Christus benedicere dignetur, in nomine Patris et Filii et Spiritus Sancte

May Christ be pleased to bless whatever is placed before us or will be placed before us, in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit.

I still use it on all possible occasions.

Posted by Beethoven (# 114) on :

At home (and often elsewhere) we use the grace that Op 1 was taught in her first Primary School:

In the mouth, in the tummy,
Thank you, God, for food that's yummy.
Amen.

[Smile]

quote:
Originally posted by Bax:
Benedictus + benedicat

That's the one...thanks. "Blessed One, bless."

Do any of you join me in feeling a bit awkward in attributing to God's provision or asking God to bless food that is in fact unhealthy (or that our culture currently believes unhealthy)? Deep fried chicken nuggets that are mostly breading, sugary sauce, french fries, a sugar drink, and dessert, like God really is honored when we choose this to eat? (A different situation perhaps from when it's the only food available.)

Sometimes I feel squeamish about grace for that kind of "food," feels like when someone thanks God for or asks God to bless an opportunity to do something not exactly loving and moral.

Posted by Mechtilde (# 12563) on :

I do! I usually used "blessed art thou, oh Lord our God, king of the universe, who bringest forth bread from the earth." Feels a bit awkward when breakfast is coffee and cake. [Hot and Hormonal]

Posted by Mamacita (# 3659) on :

quote:
Do any of you join me in feeling a bit awkward in attributing to God's provision or asking God to bless food that is in fact unhealthy (or that our culture currently believes unhealthy)? Deep fried chicken nuggets that are mostly breading, sugary sauce, french fries, a sugar drink, and dessert, like God really is honored when we choose this to eat? (A different situation perhaps from when it's the only food available.)

Sometimes I feel squeamish about grace for that kind of "food," feels like when someone thanks God for or asks God to bless an opportunity to do something not exactly loving and moral.

If you are feeling embarrassed about your food choices, then perhaps God is telling you something. But I don't think gratitude is ever misplaced.

Posted by Padre Joshua (# 13100) on :

I agree. I think that we are very blessed indeed that we can choose such foods, even if they are bad for us. Because one alternative is that we have no food at all.

Posted by PD (# 12436) on :

"Heavenly Father, we thank thee for our food. Grant that we may be strengthen by it to serve thee through thy Son Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen."

Or some variance thereof.

PD

The New Testament contains plenty of examples about breaking the rules concerning types of food. Simply replace "pork" with "chicken nugget." I'm sure most of us could be doing a better job of being good stewards of the earth, its bounty, and indeed our own bodies, but one of the joys of being a follower of Christ is that we needn't worry about nitpicking every little empty calorie!

Posted by Edith (# 16978) on :

My now grown up children used to say that Mr Cullinane's (head of RE) grace was the best. When pressed they revealed that it was:
Rub a dub dub
Thank you God for the grub.

quote:
Originally posted by Mamacita:
quote:
Do any of you join me in feeling a bit awkward in attributing to God's provision or asking God to bless food that is in fact unhealthy

If you are feeling embarrassed about your food choices, then perhaps God is telling you something.
I don't chose that kind of food, sometimes I'm served it. Sometime I decide I'm fasting. [Smile]

I was raised on "we thank thee for this meal, O Lord." A visiting kid asked "why are we thanking God for the smell? [Smile]

Posted by leo (# 1458) on :

A variant upon the blessing of incense, when the food isn't prepared very well: Be though blessed by him before whom thou hast been burnt.

Posted by Qoheleth. (# 9265) on :

Bless us, Oh Lord, and these your gifts which we are about to receive from your bounty, [and make us ever mindful of the needs of others] through Christ, Our Lord. Amen.

Preferably sung in Latin.

Posted by Qoheleth. (# 9265) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Qoheleth.:
Bless us, Oh Lord, and these your gifts which we are about to receive from your bounty, [and make us ever mindful of the needs of others] through Christ, Our Lord. Amen.

Preferably sung in Latin.

[Hot and Hormonal] whoops - must have leapfrogged over Trisagion's earlier.

Posted by Smudgie (# 2716) on :

I have an abhorrence of rhyming graces and of graces that are so long and flowery that the food is spoiled by the end of the prayer. Mine tends to be an arrow prayer: "Thank you, God, for my dinner". Straight, to the point and heartfelt.

quote:
Originally posted by Edith:
My now grown up children used to say that Mr Cullinane's (head of RE) grace was the best. When pressed they revealed that it was:
Rub a dub dub

Edith, that is an interesting variant, but the canonical form is
quote:
Rub a dub dub
Thanks for the grub.
Yay God!

Posted by Chorister (# 473) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Smudgie:
I have an abhorrence of rhyming graces and of graces that are so long and flowery that the food is spoiled by the end of the prayer. Mine tends to be an arrow prayer: "Thank you, God, for my dinner". Straight, to the point and heartfelt.

I should think God himself would be rather pleased, too. I can imagine God up in the heavens listening to prayers which go onandonandon, rolling his eyes, and thinking 'Get on with it already!' [Roll Eyes]

quote:
Originally posted by The Silent Acolyte:
quote:
Originally posted by Edith:
Rub a dub dub

Edith, that is an interesting variant, but the canonical form is
quote:
Rub a dub dub
Thanks for the grub.
Yay God!

Not to put too fine a point on it, but that last line is properly delivered
quote:
Yaaaaaaaaaay GOD!
One must get the proper rhythm and intonation. [Biased]

Mamacita, I do believe you are right. After prayerful meditation, here is my second try:
quote:
Rub-a-dub-dub,
Thanks for the grub.
yeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAY! GOD!

That's more like it!

On the more sober side is my Grandmother's (on the Methodist side of the family) grace:

Be present at our table, Lord.
Be here and everywhere adored.
Grace, health, and strength to us accord
Through Jesus Christ, our Risen Lord. Amen.

I learned this as a very little girl and, probably because of that, always recited it in a very sing-song style, and finally dropped it along the way. It is only in recent years that I have regained it and come to realize how elegant the words are. And I believe it was on the Ship where I read that the words are attributed to Wesley -- does anyone know if that is correct?

Posted by To The Pain (# 12235) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Smudgie:

Grace chez nous is usually along the lines of "Thank you, God, for the foods" (we is wiv it yoof-types), which sometimes gets expanded into a little spontaneous list of other things of the day that we are thankful for. Other times it gets shortened to "Thank God for pizza/<insert foodstuff of choice here>".

On a youth camp once I learned a grace from a swedish family that translated as "Food! Hallelujah! Amen" and could be sung/chanted to 'shave and a haircut'.

quote:
Originally posted by Mamacita:
On the more sober side is my Grandmother's (on the Methodist side of the family) grace:

Be present at our table, Lord.
Be here and everywhere adored.
Grace, health, and strength to us accord
Through Jesus Christ, our Risen Lord. Amen.

Ehem...see the last link. It's not just for Methodists! Slightly different versions, but basically the same idea. I know of two different versions used commonly by Lutherans around here. The other version is basically the same, but ends with "May strengthened for Thy service be."

(I've been checking for a Wesley connection, but have yet to find one.)

[ 03. July 2012, 19:14: Message edited by: Martin L ]

Posted by Lothlorien (# 4927) on :

Grace for food yet to come was provided last night by granddaughter, staying with me. At Cryptic's suggestion, I've cross posted from AS.

quote:
Miss 7 and her sister Miss just 10 have been here since Sunday. Miss 7 decided she would pray last night at bedtime. Her prayer; Dear God, thank you we are having butter chicken for dinner tomorrow.

Posted by Lamb Chopped (# 5528) on :

That would be a great way of pressuring the cook to put what you've just prayed for on the menu tomorrow. [Two face]

Posted by Lothlorien (# 4927) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:
That would be a great way of pressuring the cook to put what you've just prayed for on the menu tomorrow. [Two face]

I had planned it. MIss ten always volunteers to say grace but it was Miss 7 who ate the most.

© Ship of Fools 2016