Thread: Morning prayer in Holborn Board: Oblivion / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=70;t=024994

Posted by Pete_I (# 1505) on :

I'm starting a three month contracting job on Hatton Gardens, Holborn, London, this week, and am looking for a church in the area that says morning prayer. Would any London-based shipmate have any suggestions?

[I wasn't sure where to post this; feel free to move or delete.]

Posted by leo (# 1458) on :

Not in Holborn itself - St. Alban's only advertises daily masses. The other church is evangelical and only seems to do Alpha midweek.

[URL= http://www.stgeorgesbloomsbury.org.uk/services.htm ]S. George's Bloomsbury[/URL] if not too far away - 9am Tues to Fridays. The rector used to be a student member of our congregation.

St. Martin in the Fields, a mile away, daily at 8

[ 16. December 2012, 18:47: Message edited by: leo ]

Posted by Liturgylover (# 15711) on :

St Giles in the Fields is close by and of course there is also St Paul's Cathedral.

Posted by Oblatus (# 6278) on :

quote:
Originally posted by leo:
[QB] Not in Holborn itself - St. Alban's only advertises daily masses. The other church is evangelical and only seems to do Alpha midweek.

During a visit to St Alban's for weekday Mass some years ago, it was pointed out to me that although the Roman rite was used for Mass, there were small BCPs in racks under the chairs, used daily to recite Matins and Evensong. I wish I could find a current schedule, but St Alban's should indeed have Morning Prayer...might be worth a call or email.

Posted by iamchristianhearmeroar (# 15483) on :

S. Alban Holborn has a low Mass at 0800 each week day and Morning Prayer not until 0930 I think. As you'll find out, there are many more pubs to choose from in the Hatton Garden area than churches!

Posted by ken (# 2460) on :

Hatton Garden is right on the edge of the City. Some of the City churches will be easy to walk to, also St Paul's cathedral of course. New St Pancras church is about 15/20 minutes walk away, Old St Pancras probably too far. I don't know their schedules but most of them have websites. There are some well-known nonconformist churches in the area but unlikely to do morning prayer! Also a couple of Roman Catholic churches nearby.

Posted by Ondergard (# 9324) on :

quote:
Originally posted by iamchristianhearmeroar:
As you'll find out, there are many more pubs to choose from in the Hatton Garden area than churches!

... and as a good Methodist, may I recommend The Rose in Hatton Wall...!

Posted by Ecclesiastical Flip-flop (# 10745) on :

It is unlikely that you speak Italian, but if by any chance you do, you can tray at the Chiesa di San Pietro e San Paolo at Clerkenwell.

© Ship of Fools 2016