Thread: Anglican use of Roman Rite Board: Oblivion / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=70;t=025021

Posted by Ashworth (# 12645) on :

Now that the new Roman Rite has been in use for over a year I wondered how widely it is now being used in anglo catholic parishes. The Bishop of London asked for Anglican rites to be used in his diocese but I do know of a number of London churches that are using the new Roman Rite.

I'm not in favour of the ordination of women and I am a member of FinF. However, I am not a hard line millitant member and I have not, as yet, considered joining the Ordinariate or moving over to Rome in any way. I want to to be able to remain in the CofE for as long as possible and would like to be able to worship in churches of my tradition that use an Anglican Rite.

That is where the problem lies for me. In the diocese where I live, with only a handful of Resolution A,B and C churches, they have all opted to use the new Roman Rite. Most of them did previously use the old Roman Rite but one actually changed from Common Worship to the new Roman Mass.

Most official large gatherings of Forward in Faith, The Society of St. Wilfrid and St. Hilda and indeed the Shrine at Walsingham all use variations of Common Worship. I find it so annoying that my local churches all insist on using the new Roman Rite when I'm sure that Common Worship is perfectly satisfactory to almost all of those, who like me have chosen to remain in the Anglican church and to try to work out a peaceful solution to the situation. I want to remain an Anglican and stay within the Cof E and I want to be able to worship using Common Worship and not the Roman Mass.

On more amusing note to end. I did recently hear the following said by a priest:
"I've spent all of my life in the Church of England pretending to be Roman, I am not now going to join the Ordinariate to become a Roman pretending to Church of England."

[ 19. January 2013, 12:58: Message edited by: Ashworth ]

Posted by Enoch (# 14322) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Ashworth:
Now that the new Roman Rite has been in use for over a year I wondered how widely it is now being used in anglo catholic parishes. The Bishop of London asked for Anglican rites to be used in his diocese but I do know of a number of London churches that are using the new Roman Rite.

I am not under the impression that the Bishop of London asked his clergy not to use Roman forms of service that he had not authorised. I'm under the impression he told them not to - a line I would thoroughly agree with. What he can or should do if, as you allege, there are people who persist in disobeying their bishop's clear instructions, I don't know.

Is the parish you actually live in, an offender? I suppose you could complain to your own bishop, but that might blow up in your face.

Posted by Bishops Finger (# 5430) on :

We used to use the (old) Roman rite, but our current priest-in-charge decided, when the new Roman Missal came out, to use Common Worship.

In a perhaps typical Anglican fudge, we use the CW lectionary (rather than the Roman Ordo as previously) and the appropriate Redemptorist Sunday readings pew-sheet (i.e. the Anglican one!), together with a CW Eucharistic Prayer, but retain various Roman bits allowed (I believe) by Canon. That is to say, the 'Orate, fratres' just before the Sursum Corda, the Lord's Prayer with that peculiar interpolation by the priest alone (the Embolism?), and the Peace immediately before Communion as opposed to just before the Offertory.

At the moment, we still use the old Roman Confession ('I confess to Almighty God, and to you, my brothers and sisters....'), but I am hoping that we will eventually change to one of the authorised CW Confessions. AFAIK, that's the only point at which we radically diverge from the CW rite.

The only other A-C parish in the area has, I am afraid, embraced the new Roman Rite - but most of their weekday Masses are now attended only by RCs who have left the C of E...... [Ultra confused]

Ian J.

Posted by Corvo (# 15220) on :

I went to a lunchtime weekday mass at Christ the King last week and the new Roman order was used.

Posted by Angloid (# 159) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:

The only other A-C parish in the area has, I am afraid, embraced the new Roman Rite - but most of their weekday Masses are now attended only by RCs who have left the C of E...... [Ultra confused]

Because otherwise they would have to put up with the Ordinariate's version of Anglican liturgy? [Ultra confused]

No - there's no Ordinariate around here. They just don't seem to realise that (1) they're not Anglicans any more and (2) that they now have new masters......

Ian J.

Posted by venbede (# 16669) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Ashworth:
On more amusing note to end. I did recently hear the following said by a priest:
"I've spent all of my life in the Church of England pretending to be Roman, I am not now going to join the Ordinariate to become a Roman pretending to Church of England."

That's a rather cheering thing to hear, for me, in the middle of this deeply sad situation.

Back in the 70s the thing I knew and loved was ASB common and post-sanctus EP and positioning of pax with Roman preface, propers, calendar and above all the three year lectionary in place of the ghastly ASB readings.

Now Rome has gone all mannered such a compromise is no longer possible.

What FiF ought to do is show the rest of the C of E how CW can be used in a catholic manner, that is both more flexible, imaginative, participative and pastoral than stodgy Sunday School religion, as they do rather wonderfully at the Saturday Evening Pilgrim mass at Walsingham.

(I'm all in favour of the ordination of women as catholic priests and bishops. I'm not bothered whether or not they are protestant ministers.)

Posted by Indifferently (# 17517) on :

I find it quite amusing that in several places the new Roman translation is closer to 1662 than the old ecumenical formulae we all enthusiastically embraced in the latter part of the last century.

And with thy spirit!

I admit to finding "And also you with you" a bit silly.

At least it's better than starting the EP with "The Lord is here/His Spirit is with us" which isn't a greeting.

quote:
Originally posted by Indifferently:
I find it quite amusing that in several places the new Roman translation is closer to 1662 than the old ecumenical formulae we all enthusiastically embraced in the latter part of the last century.

And with thy spirit!

It's a great pity that the ecumenical consensus over liturgy has broken down. Clearly some of the 1970s translations have not worn well, and the new texts of Common Worship sound much more poetic and less pedestrian than the common texts which we still use (and which Rome did until recently). So CW too could benefit from a makeover, though not at the cost of importing the clunky latinisms of the new Roman Missal. If we'd had a joint team working on these texts (even before 2000) both churches might have had a better liturgy.

Posted by PaulTH* (# 320) on :

quote:
Originally posted by venbede:
What FiF ought to do is show the rest of the C of E how CW can be used in a catholic manner,

It can't be! In spite of the ECCL convergence of language, the theology of the Roman Rite differs greatly from that of CW. Bishops Finger mentions that his parish includes the Confiteor and the Orate Fratres within an otherwise CW Mass, and he would like to see them replaced. The Confiteor asks for the intercession of the BVM, all the angels and saints, and brothers and sisters present. The Orate Fratres uses sacrificial langauge. Though many Anglican churches have prayed this way over the years, they are Catholic concepts which have no place in Reformed Protestant tradition, the latter being explicitly condemned in Article XXXI of the Articles of Religion.

Though CW contains options which can create a certain "catholic" ambience, such as a an epiclesis in some of the Consecration Prayers, it is only a request for the Holy Spirit to come upon the community, not on the Bread and Wine. CW has no provision for asking for the intercessions of the saints nor praying for the dead, without borrowing from outside ie Catholic sources. So if you want to ditch all these Romish accreations as the Bishop of London has told his clergy they must, you can't graft a Catholic understanding of the Mass onto CW texts.

quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:
What he can or should do if, as you allege, there are people who persist in disobeying their bishop's clear instructions,

It seems that Ashworth is trying to find a Resolution C parish that uses Common Worship. Although the diocesan bishop legally has jurisdiction, I thought that the purpose of Resolution C is to bypass the oversight of that bishop in favour of the suffragen who supports the theological integrity of the parish. In which case, + Londin would have little opportunity to interfere with their liturgy. Is he going to make Christ the King, Gordon Square use CW? I can't see it.

quote:
No - there's no Ordinariate around here. They just don't seem to realise that (1) they're not Anglicans any more and (2) that they now have new masters......

Actually we realise it very well, and most of us rejoice that we have ended the uncertainty of the last few years and found a spiritual home.

The events of the last two years have changed dramatically changed things. The erection of Personal Ordinariates has prompted the Bishop of London and others to question why any parish would want to use the Roman Rite if they are C of E. And he is right. This has gone on for many years, but IMO it was only valid for Anglicans to worship that way when they were working for corporate reunion between the churches. Now that it's no longer on the agenda the Bishop is within his rights to say, "if you want to worship like Romans, join the Ordinariate or your local Catholic Church."

Unless Ashworth is a ConEvo which I doubt, as they don't usually join FiF, I can't see what he wants. I don't see how anyone can now oppose the ordination of women from within a church which has 40% female clergy, and which is going to move heaven and earth to correct its "mistaken" November vote as quickly as the synodical process will allow. Sorry to slip into DH territory, but I doubt if Ashworth's needs can be met.

Ashworth, I've posted a question for you on this thread in Dead Horses, because it isn't appropriate here.

Posted by Indifferently (# 17517) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Angloid:
quote:
Originally posted by Indifferently:

And with thy spirit!

It's a great pity that the ecumenical consensus over liturgy has broken down. Clearly some of the 1970s translations have not worn well, and the new texts of Common Worship sound much more poetic and less pedestrian than the common texts which we still use (and which Rome did until recently). So CW too could benefit from a makeover, though not at the cost of importing the clunky latinisms of the new Roman Missal. If we'd had a joint team working on these texts (even before 2000) both churches might have had a better liturgy.
The latest translation of the St John Chrysostom liturgy of the Orthodox is much better. I completely agree with you about the Latin - I'm reminded immediately of Orwell's essay 'Politics and the English Language'' Why can't Rome just use Cranmer's creed, which gets across the sane point in better English?

Posted by The Silent Acolyte (# 1158) on :

quote:
Originally posted by PaulTH*:
The Orate Fratres uses sacrificial langauge. Though many Anglican churches have prayed this way over the years, they are Catholic concepts which have no place in Reformed Protestant tradition...

This from a convert to Roman Catholicism! I mean no ad hominen jibe here, but please tend your own garden. At least show the post-convert grace to salt your language with an I would have thought or an It seems to this observer or, even, from my experience.

I don't intend to untangle your woeful Proper Anglican Theology must be both Reformed and Protestant Knot.

Suffice it to say that that requesting intercessory petition from all the saints and sacrificial language sit quite comfortably in my parish Anglican liturgy.

Let me also say that the idea of Anglicans using a Roman Catholic canon is just plain weird on this side of the Atlantic. Using their daily mass lectionary before we had our own was just plain prudent. But, the canon. Just plain bizarre. It seems to me.

Posted by Augustine the Aleut (# 1472) on :

I would second Silent Acolyte's observation about the oddness of using the Roman canon in Anglican services--- I have never seen this in Canada, although a few (as in, perhaps 3 in Canada) churches have devised half-Roman/half-Cranmerian liturgies. Still, I recall one of my liturgically-literate RC acquaintances, having attended an Anglican funeral, telling me that he would really have preferred a slighly-tweaked BCP in place of the Novus Ordo used in his parish. Cranmer, he noted, was a heretic, but a good writer. We can't have everything, I comforted him.

Posted by Jade Constable (# 17175) on :

quote:
Originally posted by The Silent Acolyte:
quote:
The Orate Fratres uses sacrificial langauge. Though many Anglican churches have prayed this way over the years, they are Catholic concepts which have no place in Reformed Protestant tradition...

This from a convert to Roman Catholicism! I mean no ad hominen jibe here, but please tend your own garden. At least show the post-convert grace to salt your language with an I would have thought or an It seems to this observer or, even, from my experience.

I don't intend to untangle your woeful Proper Anglican Theology must be both Reformed and Protestant Knot.

Suffice it to say that that requesting intercessory petition from all the saints and sacrificial language sit quite comfortably in my parish Anglican liturgy.

Let me also say that the idea of Anglicans using a Roman Catholic canon is just plain weird on this side of the Atlantic. Using their daily mass lectionary before we had our own was just plain prudent. But, the canon. Just plain bizarre. It seems to me.

Agreed with all of this. FinF-ers using the RC canon is as weird to me as evangelical Anglicans (both conservative and Open) ignoring the lectionary totally.

[ 20. January 2013, 01:46: Message edited by: Jade Constable ]

Posted by The Scrumpmeister (# 5638) on :

quote:

In a perhaps typical Anglican fudge, we use the CW lectionary (rather than the Roman Ordo as previously) and the appropriate Redemptorist Sunday readings pew-sheet (i.e. the Anglican one!), together with a CW Eucharistic Prayer, but retain various Roman bits allowed (I believe) by Canon. That is to say ... the Peace immediately before Communion as opposed to just before the Offertory.

This isn't a Roman bit: it's straight Common Worship.

Scrumps - well not straight CW so much as a permissible variation.

Jade C - I would be rather pleased to have a woman priest use the Roman Canon.

Orate Frates seemed extremely common when CW first came in.

Posted by Basilica (# 16965) on :

quote:
quote:
What FiF ought to do is show the rest of the C of E how CW can be used in a catholic manner,

It can't be! In spite of the ECCL convergence of language, the theology of the Roman Rite differs greatly from that of CW. Bishops Finger mentions that his parish includes the Confiteor and the Orate Fratres within an otherwise CW Mass, and he would like to see them replaced. The Confiteor asks for the intercession of the BVM, all the angels and saints, and brothers and sisters present. The Orate Fratres uses sacrificial langauge. Though many Anglican churches have prayed this way over the years, they are Catholic concepts which have no place in Reformed Protestant tradition, the latter being explicitly condemned in Article XXXI of the Articles of Religion.
The 39 Articles have always been more honoured in the breach than in the observance!

Moreover, Article XXXI does not say "the mass is not a sacrifice". Indeed, there has never been unanimous Anglican consent to such a view, whether in the 16th century, the 17th century or since.

Yes, the Orate Fratres is at the very edge of what can be considered licit in a CofE Eucharist (and I'd say the Confiteor is beyond it, because of the requirement for an authorised confession), I don't think either is beyond the broad traditions of Anglican practice.

quote:
Though CW contains options which can create a certain "catholic" ambience, such as a an epiclesis in some of the Consecration Prayers, it is only a request for the Holy Spirit to come upon the community, not on the Bread and Wine. CW has no provision for asking for the intercessions of the saints nor praying for the dead, without borrowing from outside ie Catholic sources. So if you want to ditch all these Romish accreations as the Bishop of London has told his clergy they must, you can't graft a Catholic understanding of the Mass onto CW texts.
I'm not quite sure +Londin did say that, but never mind.

The bigger point is that the epicleses in CW vary. Some follow the Alexandrian pattern, where the invocation of the Holy Spirit on the bread and wine comes before the Institution Narrative. An example of this is the excellent Prayer B:

quote:
grant that by the power of your Holy Spirit,
and according to your holy will,
these gifts of bread and wine
may be to us the body and blood of our Lord Jesus Christ;

That is not an epiclesis on the people: there is a separate one later.

Other Eucharistic Prayers (e.g. Prayer F) follow the Antiochian style where there is one epiclesis over gifts and people, which follows the Institution Narrative.

The CofE's Eucharistic theology is not wholly reformed: it is certainly open to a Catholic interpretation.

Posted by fletcher christian (# 13919) on :

posted by Paul TH:
quote:

The Orate Fratres uses sacrificial langauge. Though many Anglican churches have prayed this way over the years, they are Catholic concepts which have no place in Reformed Protestant tradition, the latter being explicitly condemned in Article XXXI of the Articles of Religion.

I'd strongly disagree with this statement. It's sweeping and inaccurate, and not only does it ignore all the ecumenical statements of recent years, it also ignores developments within the worldwide Anglican Communion itself.

Posted by Jade Constable (# 17175) on :

quote:
Scrumps - well not straight CW so much as a permissible variation.

Jade C - I would be rather pleased to have a woman priest use the Roman Canon.

Orate Frates seemed extremely common when CW first came in.

Oh I have no issue with the Roman Canon because it's generally used by FinF-ers, but for the same reason I have an issue with those low-church congregations that ignore the lectionary entirely. I strongly believe that Anglican churches of all kinds should be united in the use of Anglican liturgy, albeit with a choice of BCP/CW etc. If a church wants to use RC liturgy, why is it in communion with Canterbury and not Rome?

Posted by Ceremoniar (# 13596) on :

quote:
Originally posted by fletcher christian:
posted by Paul TH:
quote:

The Orate Fratres uses sacrificial langauge. Though many Anglican churches have prayed this way over the years, they are Catholic concepts which have no place in Reformed Protestant tradition, the latter being explicitly condemned in Article XXXI of the Articles of Religion.

I'd strongly disagree with this statement. It's sweeping and inaccurate, and not only does it ignore all the ecumenical statements of recent years, it also ignores developments within the worldwide Anglican Communion itself.
I agree that in recent years Anglicans have been much more accepting of these, but historically this was not the case. For several centuries the invocation of saints was absolutely not to be found within Anglicanism, and when it first began to be found, those who promoted it were persecuted and even prosecuted. Its absence from most official Anglican prayer books today still makes it clear that that it is by no means standard, normative or official, only tolerated as a devotional extra. Yet this is not merely a devotional preference; it is a theological and liturgical reality for those who believe in it.

While it is always nice to point out that assent to the 39 Articles was not required of any Anglican layman, it was required of clergy, and it was an official, authoritative statement of the Church of England, in which doctrine was stated. It is difficult to overlook this fact, especially when it was included in the BCP (even before it was downgraded to the historical documents section).

Posted by Arethosemyfeet (# 17047) on :

There seems to be some conflation of Anglican with CofE here. The 39 articles aren't relevant everywhere in the Anglican Communion. They're not, for example, a major part of the heritage of the Scottish Episcopal Church. Anglicanism has its principle sources in the English reformation but that's not the whole story, and it's unreasonable to treat artifacts of that period, like the 39 articles, as reflective of the beliefs of the entire communion.

PaulTH and Ceremoniar clearly want to believe that the 'protestant' Church of England is, or should be, as doctrinally uniform as the (Roman) Catholic church. Despite the efforts of some politicians and church leaders since the Reformation, or groups like Reform today, it has never been the case.

Different emphases of belief have co-existed for 450 years, and Anglicans of all shades have used the Book of Common Prayer because they believed it to be an adequate, if not perfect, liturgical expression of their faith. Outside England it has been easier for them to revise that liturgy in a more ecumenical, and hence generally 'catholic', direction. Within the last 50 or so years the C of E has been able to evolve forms of service which are more compatible with 'catholic' as well as 'reformed' belief.

Any one tendency or individual within the church is likely to feel that Common Worship, for example, is not the ideal. But a thoroughgoing 'Reform' communion service would be very difficult for an Anglo-catholic to use, in the same way that the English (or modern Roman) Missal would be abhorrent to such as +Wallace Benn. With Common Worship maybe people at both extremes will grit their teeth; but if they remain Anglicans they must accept the compromise that comes from co-existence. They might wish that all Anglicans shared their specific points of view, but they can't unchurch them without undermining their own position.

CW offers much more flexibility for different pastoral contexts as well as different theological viewpoints, but it has limits. PaulTH and Ceremoniar have both taken the logical step of saying, in effect, 'I can't co-exist in the same church with those of such different views; I will join the one church with consistent and uniform teaching.' (I hope that's not an unfair summary of their position)

It seems to me that those who say 'I refuse to use the authorised rites of my Church' are refusing to co-exist with their fellow-Anglicans. So why do they stay where they are? (at either end of the spectrum).

Incidentally, Anglo-catholics aren't the only ones guilty of tweaking the official rite to suit their theology. I was presiding in a church this morning where the altar copy of Eucharistic Prayer E had been amended from 'bring us with [N and] all the saints' to 'bring us with all your children'. I didn't notice until I had said it, but thought it was naughty! (It was a fairly standard low/MOTR church with a significant evangelical input)

quote:
Originally posted by Ceremoniar:
While it is always nice to point out that assent to the 39 Articles was not required of any Anglican layman, it was required of clergy, and it was an official, authoritative statement of the Church of England, in which doctrine was stated. It is difficult to overlook this fact, especially when it was included in the BCP (even before it was downgraded to the historical documents section).

'Is', not 'were'.

As these are public documents, and I'm citing them as part of an argument, I don't think it can be suggested I'm infringing the Church's copyright by doing so.

Canon C15 "Of the Declaration of Assent"
quote:

PREFACE
The Church of England is part of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church worshipping the one true God, Father, Son and Holy Spirit. It professes the faith uniquely revealed in the Holy Scriptures and set forth in the catholic creeds, which faith the Church is called upon to proclaim afresh in each generation. Led by the Holy Spirit, it has borne witness to Christian truth in its historic formularies, the Thirty-nine Articles of Religion, The Book of Common Prayer and the Ordering of Bishops, Priests and Deacons. In the declaration you are about to make will you affirm your loyalty to this inheritance of faith as your inspiration and guidance under God in bringing the grace and truth of Christ to this generation and making him known to those in your care?

Declaration of Assent
I, A B, do so affirm, and accordingly declare my belief in the faith which is revealed in the Holy Scriptures and set forth in the catholic creeds and to which the historic formularies of the Church of England bear witness; and in public prayer and administration of the sacraments, I will use only the forms of service which are authorized (sic) or allowed by Canon.

Lest there be any doubt, Canon A5:-
quote:
The doctrine of the Church of England is grounded in the Holy Scriptures, and in such teachings of the ancient Fathers and Councils of the Church as are agreeable to the said Scriptures. In particular such doctrine is to be found in the Thirty-nine Articles of Religion, The Book of Common Prayer, and the Ordinal.
I acknowledge, because this has been said many times on the Ship, that there are parts of the Anglican Communion who are adamant that the 39 Articles don't apply to them, but I still can't really see how one can legitimately argue that either in good faith or with historical credibility.

It's true that some of them deal with things that were live issues of contention in the C16 but less so now. That also applies to some of the decisions of the great Councils.

Nevertheless, I suspect that many of those who imagine that the Articles are in some way inimical to sound belief as they see it, have never read them. There are probably only three points on which a person who isn't seriously factional might want to question them. One is an obscure sentence in an Article most people agree with; one is a possible apparent inconsistency between the Articles and the 1662 Prayer Book; the third is unfortunate, but if one checks the actual words, it isn't making quite the statement it is accused of making.

Posted by Thurible (# 3206) on :

With regard to the Roman Canon (I.e., EP1 in the Missal), I've always found Fr Hunwicke rather convincing here. Canon B5 allows the minister to vary the liturgy as long as it is doctrinally consistent with the CofE's understanding and ARCIC (I think it was ARCIC 1 but it may have preceded that) said that we could say 'Amen' to their EP - which, at the time, was the Roman Canon. This means that Anglicans may legitimately use it. (See Hunwicke's Ordo for the above in better prose and full command of the facts rather than my feeble memory.)

As for the other Roman EPS, I am far more circumspect.

To be honest, I think it generally permissible, using Canon B5, to use much Roman stuff but, at the same time, I don't think it makes much sense. Borrowing propers where we're not provided with them in CW, I can understand but using their stuff wholesale I can't, which is definitely a different position to the one I stood in even five years ago.

Thurible

posted by ceremoniar:
quote:

I agree that in recent years Anglicans have been much more accepting of these, but historically this was not the case.

The history of the CofE is not the history of the the rest of the worldwide Anglican Communion, nor does history dictate that what was believed at one time should for ever remain true. Should we for instance disregard the famous debates between Barth and Brunner on Justification just because history would dictate that we each hold to our opinion of ignorance of the other?

To come back nearer to the purpose of my original question! Many of the discussions above have been very interesting but just out of personal interest I would still like to hear information and views about my original question!

Now that a number of mainly FinF priests and laity have gone to the Ordinariate, I may be wrong but perhaps amongst them most of the more Anglo Papalists, have the majority of those who are left gone onto the new Roman rite or adopted versions of Common Worship?
I decided that I am going to remain in the CofE if at all possible and as I have made that decision I feel that I should also be using an Anglican rite.
Certainly in the diocese where I live the new Roman rite seems to be the norm in the Resolution A,B and C churches and I wondered if that was true nationally.

[ 20. January 2013, 20:02: Message edited by: Ashworth ]

We've always been CW. At the nearest C parishes, everything the priest says is Roman but the faithful respond with CW in trad language.

The parishes I know best in London have all gone over to the new translation of the Roman Rite wholesale.

Thurible

quote:
I acknowledge, because this has been said many times on the Ship, that there are parts of the Anglican Communion who are adamant that the 39 Articles don't apply to them, but I still can't really see how one can legitimately argue that either in good faith or with historical credibility.

Pretty easily. The Scottish Episcopal Church has a parallel and distinct lineage from the Church of England. For all that the 1637 BCP was supported by Archbishop Laud it was written by the Scottish Bishops and does not feature the 39 Articles of Religion, which are an English only phenomenon. Churches in the Scottish Episcopal tradition, such as PECUSA, have no historical reason to rely on the 39 Articles as set out in the 1662 BCP. One of the (many) Scottish objections to the Anglican convenant was the insinuation that the 39 Articles bear witness to the historic faith of the church.

Posted by Percy B (# 17238) on :

That's interesting Thurible.

Are there any C of E parishes in London or beyond which use modern Roman Rite AND affirm women priests?

quote:
Originally posted by fletcher christian
I'd strongly disagree with this statement. It's sweeping and inaccurate, and not only does it ignore all the ecumenical statements of recent years, it also ignores developments within the worldwide Anglican Communion itself .

Ecumenical accords among various churches have come on a long way in the last few decades. Also I know that many Anglicans agree with "catholic" practices such as praying for the dead and asking the intercessions of the saints. Anglo-catholicism has influenced the mainstream of Anglican practice hugely, when we consider that, in the 19th century, altar candles, vestments and elevation of the host were considered so popish that they aroused persecutions. When I was Anglican, I always prayed for the dead, and sought the help of the Church Triumphant in my own life.

My only point is that all these things are imports from Catholicism, and don't belong within the Anglican Reformed tradition. Enoch has shown how canon C15 requires an acceptance of the very Protestant, Calvinist 39 Articles of Religion, many of which pour scorn on things I believe. The second part of the Confiteor, in itself, would be sufficient for me to join the Catholic Church, as I gradually came to realise that everything I hold important is Catholic and not Protestant. The great Anglican fudge was worked for many years, but it no longer works for me. In the 1950's, many Anglo-catholic parishes supplemented the Prayer Book with the English Missal because it didn't adequately express their catholic faith. Neither does CW, and it needs to be enhanced with borrowed prayers from another tradition in order to express that faith. Bishops who try to ban this are telling their flock that they must worship as Protestants.

Anglican heritage is both Catholic and Reformed, that's rather the point. Including parts of the liturgy that would have been part of Anglican practice prior to the reformation isn't borrowing from another tradition, it's reclaiming some of our own that need not have been discarded. I take the view that the reformation was necessary, and I do believe that the Pope has legitimate authority over the worldwide Church only is as much as the Primus has authority over the SEC. I also take the view that some of the reformers attempted to throw the baby out with the bath water, and history of Anglicanism, particularly over the last two centuries, has been about making sure we've kept hold of the baby, retrieving anything we've wrongly discarded, and making sure the rest of the water is disposed of (I realise this analogy is getting a little strained at this point). I'd be quite happy to see the second half of the confiteor in some of those lovely square brackets as an option within the liturgy, though I'm kind of on the fence myself about affirming the perpetual virginity of Mary.

Posted by Adeodatus (# 4992) on :

PaulTH*, I'm afraid your last post displays a common misunderstanding of the Catholic tradition in the CofE. To begin with, regarding the 39 Articles, there's nothing in Canon A5, Canon C15, or anywhere else that says every one of the Articles is doctrinally binding on members of the CofE.

But the chief misunderstanding is that Catholic teaching and liturgy were "imported" into the CofE. In fact, the whole work of the Tractarians was not to import but to rediscover what had been there all along, but had partly fallen into disuse through the dominance of the State the, lethargy of the clergy, and the anti-Papalism of the English people.

Anglo-Papalism caught on fairly late - really only around the third generation of Anglo-Catholics. The Tractarians of the 1830s-1850s and the Ritualists of the 1850s-1870s would have revolted against the mere idea of importing the Roman Missal - their task was to reveal and develop the catholic nature of the English Prayer Book.

It was only towards the end of the 19th century, when voices were being raised that the Prayer Book was insufficient to meet the spiritual needs of the new urban parishes, that people started looking for an alternative - and some chose the Missal.

I've always regarded the choice of the Missal in CofE parishes as unfortunate, especially since the development of modern-language CofE rites. Since CW I think its use has been even more inexcusable, and the adoption of the new Roman rite frankly baffles me.

Posted by Basilica (# 16965) on :

quote:
My only point is that all these things are imports from Catholicism, and don't belong within the Anglican Reformed tradition. Enoch has shown how canon C15 requires an acceptance of the very Protestant, Calvinist 39 Articles of Religion, many of which pour scorn on things I believe.

This is not true. Canon C15 requires a declaration of assent from deacons, priests and bishops on ordination or upon receiving a new licence. This is the form:

quote:
The Church of England is part of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church worshipping the one true God, Father, Son and Holy Spirit. It professes the faith uniquely revealed in the Holy Scriptures and set forth in the catholic creeds, which faith the Church is called upon to proclaim afresh in each generation. Led by the Holy Spirit, it has borne witness to Christian truth in its historic formularies, the Thirty-nine Articles of Religion, The Book of Common Prayer and the Ordering of Bishops, Priests and Deacons. In the declaration you are about to make will you affirm your loyalty to this inheritance of faith as your inspiration and guidance under God in bringing the grace and truth of Christ to this generation and making him known to those in your care?

Declaration of Assent

I, A B, do so affirm, and accordingly declare my belief in the faith which is revealed in the Holy Scriptures and set forth in the catholic creeds and to which the historic formularies of the Church of England bear witness; and in public prayer and administration of the sacraments, I will use only the forms of service which are authorized or allowed by Canon.

As an ordinand I am asked to affirm that the 39 Articles (along with the BCP and the old Ordinal) bear witness to the belief revealed in Scripture and set forth in the creeds. I can do that quite happily, because one can bear witness to the truth revealed in Scripture without being 100% correct 100% of the time.

Posted by Bax (# 16572) on :

The logic of the ANglo-Papalist position (most of whom I suspect use the modren Roman Rite) is that the Church of England is the Catholic church in England, unwilling cut off from the rest of the "Western church" (as an anglo papaist may refer to the "Roman Catholic Church") at the English reformation.

This lead to liturgies being produced that, essentially was an English translation of the old Roman Rite (The English Missal). When Vatican II produced the modern Roman Rite, most Anglo-Papalists stopped using this and adopted the Modern Roman Rite (often along with other liturgical modernization).

Anglo-papalists started what is now the week of prayer for Christian Unity, held every January.

quote:
Originally posted by Bax:
Anglo-papalists started what is now the week of prayer for Christian Unity, held every January.

I always wondered who I should blame.

PaulTH, you're basing your assumption that the 39 articles stand true for all time. Some parts of the Anglican Communion view the articles as a testament of faith 'of their time' and assent to hem on the basis that they are an historical document responding to corruption they felt needed changing. In context then it's certainly about good old Henry's lack of a baby boy - yet to say it is only this is a grave over simplification. It's about priests who took money off people for masses for the dead for their own benefit, about corruption in the structure, questions of the suitability of a centralised system, indulgences, of liturgy in the common tongue, of access to scripture...to name but a few. And I find myself in agreement; as an historical document of its time responding to corruption in the middle of a reformation that had become inevitable. It's one of the reasons why so many Anglican provices don't want to replace them with something else, because they will only end up with another document of its time.

quote:
Originally posted by Arethosemyfeet:
Pretty easily. The Scottish Episcopal Church has a parallel and distinct lineage from the Church of England. For all that the 1637 BCP was supported by Archbishop Laud it was written by the Scottish Bishops and does not feature the 39 Articles of Religion, which are an English only phenomenon. Churches in the Scottish Episcopal tradition, such as PECUSA, have no historical reason to rely on the 39 Articles as set out in the 1662 BCP. One of the (many) Scottish objections to the Anglican convenant was the insinuation that the 39 Articles bear witness to the historic faith of the church.

Far be it from me to trespass outside England, but are you sure this is not special pleading? I have an electronic copy of a Scottish Episcopal Prayer Book issued under the authority of the Bishop of Brechin in 1912 which includes the Articles, headed as follows:-
quote:
Articles of Religion agreed upon in the Convocation holden at London in the year 1562 and referred to in Canon XII (1911) of the Episcopal Church in Scotland
I accept that 1562 was long before even the Union of the Crowns. I also accept that I haven't got a copy of Canon 12 of 1911. But unless it clearly says 'The 39 Articles don't apply in Scotland and you are entitled to ignore them' or words to similar effect, I remain unpersuaded that Scotland is completely outside their scope, or that it's possible for people in other provinces to claim with integrity to be an Anglican without their applying to you at least in generality.

quote:
PaulTH, you're basing your assumption that the 39 articles stand true for all time. Some parts of the Anglican Communion view the articles as a testament of faith 'of their time' and assent to hem on the basis that they are an historical document responding to corruption they felt needed changing...

I would agree that PaulTH sees the 39 Articles somewhat in that context. I also believe that one is entitled to that understanding whereby statements of faith--especially the doctrinal matter contained in the Articles--are understood to be true for all time. Otherwise, one has only to fudge.

In other words, one either believes in the invocation of saints or one does not, simply because it either it is a theological possibility within the Church or it is not. Both propositions cannot be true, in any century. Likewise, the Mass is either the Holy Sacrifice for the remission of sins or it is not--regardless of the century. Purgatory either exists or it does not, in every century. And so on. These doctrines have either been true in every century or they have not. They cannot change. Not every Article is doctrinal; I realize, but enough of them contain doctrine that cannot change with time.

quote:
quote:

Far be it from me to trespass outside England, but are you sure this is not special pleading? I have an electronic copy of a Scottish Episcopal Prayer Book issued under the authority of the Bishop of Brechin in 1912 which includes the Articles, headed as follows:-
quote:
Articles of Religion agreed upon in the Convocation holden at London in the year 1562 and referred to in Canon XII (1911) of the Episcopal Church in Scotland
I accept that 1562 was long before even the Union of the Crowns. I also accept that I haven't got a copy of Canon 12 of 1911. But unless it clearly says 'The 39 Articles don't apply in Scotland and you are entitled to ignore them' or words to similar effect, I remain unpersuaded that Scotland is completely outside their scope, or that it's possible for people in other provinces to claim with integrity to be an Anglican without their applying to you at least in generality.

I'd not encountered the 1912 edition before, it appears that it does feature the articles. However, this appears to be an aberration in that neither the 1637 version, nor the 1929 version feature the articles. My memory is a little flakey on this score, but is it possible that the articles, like prayers for the Hannoverian monarchy, were an condition of the removal of the laws persecuting the SEC? Certainly the current version of Canon 12 makes no mention of the articles, and requires only obedience to the rules of, and not assent to every belief expressed in, the prayerbook.

Posted by Albertus (# 13356) on :

quote:
...in the 19th century, altar candles, vestments and elevation of the host were considered so popish that they aroused persecutions.
My only point is that all these things are imports from Catholicism,

Ahem. Ornaments Rubric?

Posted by Cornish High (# 17202) on :

In the Truro Diocese only three parishes now have Res C in place. One is straght 1662, one uses CW in one church and 1662 in the other and the remaining one is CW with Roman accretions. I know of no church in the diocese that uses the Missal for anything other than some supplementing. In Exeter diocese outside Plymouth, CW with Roman bits is common. In several Plymouth 'C' parishes the Missal is used in full. However, If Ashworth lived in a more rural diocese he might well find less use of the Missal than seems to be the case in many if not most C parishes in urban areas.

quote:
The logic of the ANglo-Papalist position (most of whom I suspect use the modren Roman Rite) is that the Church of England is the Catholic church in England, unwilling cut off from the rest of the "Western church" (as an anglo papaist may refer to the "Roman Catholic Church") at the English reformation.

This lead to liturgies being produced that, essentially was an English translation of the old Roman Rite (The English Missal). When Vatican II produced the modern Roman Rite, most Anglo-Papalists stopped using this and adopted the Modern Roman Rite (often along with other liturgical modernization).

But that's no logic at all. The Tractarians proclaimed that the Church of England was the Catholic Church in England, not a Catholic Church (which is oxymoronic anyway). Its luturgy, properly understood and celebrated, is Catholic liturgy. We don't need an imported liturgy.

The Roman Missal is the liturgy of those who are subject to the authority of the Pope. Hence its eucharistic prayers pray for "N. our Pope". But for Anglicans, "N." is not our Pope: he's "theirs". We don't have one.

posted by Ceremoniar:
quote:

I would agree that PaulTH sees the 39 Articles somewhat in that context. I also believe that one is entitled to that understanding whereby statements of faith--especially the doctrinal matter contained in the Articles--are understood to be true for all time. Otherwise, one has only to fudge.

I think this risks seeing the 39 articles as a creed.

quote:

In other words, one either believes in the invocation of saints or one does not, simply because it either it is a theological possibility within the Church or it is not. Both propositions cannot be true, in any century. Likewise, the Mass is either the Holy Sacrifice for the remission of sins or it is not--regardless of the century. Purgatory either exists or it does not, in every century. And so on. These doctrines have either been true in every century or they have not. They cannot change. Not every Article is doctrinal; I realize, but enough of them contain doctrine that cannot change with time.

I think that's fair enough from a Roan Catholic perspective (although I'm left wondering if Limbo is still there), but from a Reformed perspective I think they do feel things can change, and in both senses - in the removal and in the restoration of ideas.

quote:
posted by Ceremoniar:

quote:

Likewise, the Mass is either the Holy Sacrifice for the remission of sins or it is not--regardless of the century.

I think that's fair enough from a Roan Catholic perspective (although I'm left wondering if Limbo is still there), but from a Reformed perspective I think they do feel things can change, and in both senses - in the removal and in the restoration of ideas.
Surely the Reformers were reacting against a misunderstanding of Catholic teaching about the mass. Whether that was their misunderstanding or the result of Catholics not properly grasping their own doctrine, is irrelevant. To use a ludicrously extreme example, Gregory Dix tells of his ferociously protestant grandmother (?) who ranted against the Catholic Church because she believed that at the Mass the priest held a live crab captive on the altar. If you genuinely believed that was the case, you would be right to protest against the Mass.

The authors of the 39 articles did not, of course, believe that, but their teaching about the Eucharist can only be understood as a reaction against commonly held beliefs. As the mud has cleared over the centuries we are better able to discern the truth.

quote:
Originally posted by Cornish High:
However, If Ashworth lived in a more rural diocese he might well find less use of the Missal than seems to be the case in many if not most C parishes in urban areas.

I do live in a relatively rural diocese. However, the handful of C parishes we have in the diocese are indeed in the more urban areas of the county town (city).

Serious question.
quote:
Likewise, the Mass is either the Holy Sacrifice for the remission of sins or it is not--regardless of the century.

Is that still Catholic teaching, or has it moved more in the direction that it is the death of Christ that remits sins, and the Mass is an offering that re-actualises and makes present that event?

Posted by Angloid:
quote:

The authors of the 39 articles did not, of course, believe that, but their teaching about the Eucharist can only be understood as a reaction against commonly held beliefs. As the mud has cleared over the centuries we are better able to discern the truth.

Yes, that was essentially the point I was making about the famous Barth and Brunner debate. Each was saying 'I believe your position is this', when in fact - by the end of the debate - they effectively conceded they both held the same beliefs (albeit they took different roads to get there) and the argument was a recourse to ignorance of the other.

Posted by Liturgylover (# 15711) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Percy B:
That's interesting Thurible.

Are there any C of E parishes in London or beyond which use modern Roman Rite AND affirm women priests?

I cannot think of one in North or Central London - I am less familiar with parishes south of the river.

I do know that following Bishop Richard's letter, a number of parishes did move over to CW:
Holy Redeemer, Clerkenwell (which was a surprise), Holy Innocents, Hornsey and I think Holy Cross Cromer Street.

St Silas Kentish Town, St Alban Brooke St. and All Saints East Finchley all now use the modern Roman Rite. I suspect there are a few places out there still using the old Roman Rite.

I know of one that did, in Birmingham, but I'm not sure whether they've moved to the new translation. To be honest, I doubt it. That way, they'd have to admit that their CW with Variations was actually just the Missal.

Thurible

Ah, it's gone over the page: one parish in Birmingham that affirms the admission of women to the priesthood and uses the Roman Rite, that is.

Thurible

quote:
Originally posted by Adeodatus:
quote:

But that's no logic at all. The Tractarians proclaimed that the Church of England was the Catholic Church in England, not a Catholic Church (which is oxymoronic anyway). Its luturgy, properly understood and celebrated, is Catholic liturgy. We don't need an imported liturgy.

The Roman Missal is the liturgy of those who are subject to the authority of the Pope. Hence its eucharistic prayers pray for "N. our Pope". But for Anglicans, "N." is not our Pope: he's "theirs". We don't have one.

Yes, Tractarians and those who followed them did and do believe that the Church of England is the catholic church in England, but also that it had needed to be reminded if this fact, and to start acting in accordance with this fact.

The Roman Missal is not "imported", rather having been the liturgy of the English church it moved on without any English input for a few hundred years. Should Anglo Catholics use the liturgy of the pre-reformation English church instead?

To an Anglo-papalist, Benedict is our pope (whether he likes it or not, and whether the Church of England authorities like it or not).

quote:
To an Anglo-papalist, Benedict is our pope (whether he likes it or not, and whether the Church of England authorities like it or not).

If you really believe that, you should be a Roman Catholic. That, crudely speaking, is what "your" Pope teaches.

Posted by Trisagion (# 5235) on :

quote:
Serious question.
...Is that still Catholic teaching, or has it moved more in the direction that it is the death of Christ that remits sins, and the Mass is an offering that re-actualises and makes present that event?

It certainly is. The Catechism of the Catholic Church (para 1366) quotes the Tridentine decree to that effect.

quote:
Should Anglo Catholics use the liturgy of the pre-reformation English church instead?

If a person is that determined not to use either the BCP or CW, that strikes me as a more defensible option.

Hmm. 1549, anyone?

Ian J.

Posted by leo (# 1458) on :

quote:
its eucharistic prayers pray for "N. our Pope". But for Anglicans, "N." is not our Pope: he's "theirs". We don't have one.

We used to alter that to 'X, patriarch of the Western Church'.

Posted by Ecclesiastical Flip-flop (# 10745) on :

In my experience, it's, "N the pope" or "Pope N" - Anglican.

Posted by Sergius-Melli (# 17462) on :

quote:
Originally posted by leo:
quote:
its eucharistic prayers pray for "N. our Pope". But for Anglicans, "N." is not our Pope: he's "theirs". We don't have one.

We used to alter that to 'X, patriarch of the Western Church'.
That is how many, who think about these things without being Anglo-Papalists, still approach it I think, happy to accept the Bishop of Rome in the Western Church as primus inter pares, first in honour and therefore Patriarch.

quote:
Originally posted by Sergius-Melli:
That is how many, who think about these things without being Anglo-Papalists, still approach it I think, happy to accept the Bishop of Rome in the Western Church as primus inter pares, first in honour and therefore Patriarch.

Yebbut; that's not how the occupants of Peter's Chair or those in communion with him see his role.

If you would like to devote 22nd February each year to a 24 hour vigil for the current occupant and those in communion with him to see the error of their ways, doubtless there will be many to the east and north who would agree with you. But at root are profound disagreements on the nature and location of authority which have been around since long before 1517.

quote:
Yebbut; that's not how the occupants of Peter's Chair or those in communion with him see his role.

The latter is largely a result of said occupants' habit of excommunicating those who didn't see the issue his way, so it's not exactly an indicator of anything.

quote:
quote:

The latter is largely a result of said occupants' habit of excommunicating those who didn't see the issue his way, so it's not exactly an indicator of anything.
It's a fairly cast iron indicator of the prospects of this ever changing without overpowering divine intervention of a miraculous nature.

Posted by The Man with a Stick (# 12664) on :

quote:
I suspect there are a few places out there still using the old Roman Rite.
Which from a catholic (small 'c') perspective is even more barking - it's a liturgy now authorised by nobody.

My view accords with Thurible (or, rather, Fr Hunwicke) on the legalities. The introduction to the Ordo that Thurible quotes is not dissimilar from an old article in New Directions (over a decade old), which is still available online here

It is interesting that the laws ecclesiastical do not give power to the local diocesan bishop to permit or suppress any particular eucharistic liturgy in his diocese. Thus, +Londin's letter is of no legal effect, as such (though I quite take the point that the clear instruction of one's bishop should be accorded great weight in deliberations).

If I were given a sabbatical and a stipend, I'd dearly love to compile and arrange publication of an attractively set out, properly authorised "CW with additions" that stretched CW sufficiently for the most cath of ang-caths to embrace, whilst meeting official approval from the hierarchy. I think that would be a positive thing for (say) FiF to commission, accompanied by a clear instruction from the flying bishops (and other relevant bishops) that they expected this to be used in the anglo-catholic C parishes.

I do find it hard to explain to "overseas" anglicans that the emphasis on liturgical uniformity has never been the hallmark of the CofE as it has in the rest of the communion, in modern times at least. When you don't have the established status to cling onto and don't have the certainty of property ownership that this provides, there's fewer reasons why you'd bother remaining in the same church as the next-door parish who use completely different liturgies.

When you take the myriad of options in CW, add in 1662 (whether full-fat 3rd exhortation et al or in its "modern" form) and shake with a liberal sprinkling of Canon B5, I think I actually dispute the starting point that the Church of England has (or even should have) conformity of worship.

quote:
Originally posted by The Man with a Stick:
My view accords with Thurible (or, rather, Fr Hunwicke) on the legalities. The introduction to the Ordo that Thurible quotes is not dissimilar from an old article in New Directions (over a decade old), which is still available online here

It is interesting that the laws ecclesiastical do not give power to the local diocesan bishop to permit or suppress any particular eucharistic liturgy in his diocese.

Thanks for the link. As is often the case, Fr. Hunwicke is right.

I have always been haunted about the vow I made to 'only use those forms of service as authorised by canon'

As my then incumbent said to me, 'Canon Who?'

I don't think it is really about legalism. It's one of culture: what worries me about people who use the Roman rite is that they are not really Anglicans. ISTM that if you are happy to live and worship alongside all sorts of fellow-Anglicans (whatever your particular theological emphasis) you should be happy to worship in an Anglican idiom. And if you're not happy with the former, what are you doing here? [I hope it's obvious that by 'you' I am not addressing anyone in particular, just using it impersonally]

I think of the liturgy as 'language', and a particular expression of it as accent or dialect. We have in common with RCs and all 'liturgical' Christians, the language of the Eucharist; there is no more reason for us to use someone else's expression of it than there is for a Geordie to adopt a Scouse accent, for example.

In The Man with a Stick's link, the ever fascinating Fr Hunwicke starts from the premise that Common Worship is:
quote:
widely regarded as deeply flawed from the point of view of Catholic Eucharistic theology
This makes it necessary for catholic minded priests and worshippers in the Church of England to enhance, supplement or replace their own liturgy with material borrowed from Rome. Whether this is done within the bounds of canon B5, or if the boundries are sometimes pushed too far, the situation can't be right. Fr Hunwicke later describes the CW Consecration Prayers as "lousy theology" which they certainly are from a Catholic POV, though not necessarily for a MOTR or evengelical worshipper, who isn't trying to find sacrifice or transubstantiation in there. But as Angloid so rightly says:

quote:
Originally posted by Angloid:
what worries me about people who use the Roman rite is that they are not really Anglicans. ISTM that if you are happy to live and worship alongside all sorts of fellow-Anglicans (whatever your particular theological emphasis) you should be happy to worship in an Anglican idiom. [/

It was this lack of Catholic expression within C of E Eucharistic liturgy that persuaded me to seek admission to the Catholic Church, much more than the Dead Horse issue. It seems that, for Ashworth, the opposite is true: the DH is a problem, the liturgy isn't. In the 8 years in which I was a member of FiF before being received into the Catholic Church via the Ordinariate in 2011, I visited many Resolution C parishes, in the (C of E) dioceses of London, Rochester, Southwark, Canterbury and Chelmsford. I never encountered a church which used CW, by itself, without "enhancements." I can't comment on country wide, but I think that the differences between CW and the Roman Rite are too great to allow seriously catholic Anglicans to rely on CW alone.

Posted by FreeJack (# 10612) on :

quote:
Hmm. 1549, anyone?

Ian J.

Don't even joke!

St George's Headstone

quote:
I think that the differences between CW and the Roman Rite are too great to allow seriously catholic Anglicans to rely on CW alone.

One article by Fr Haselock, another,.

What do you mean by relying "on CW alone"? As a matter of course, our solidly Catholic parish relies, in the main, on CW alone. The only EP we ever use at the Sunday Mass is CW C, for example. We do use the "Pray, brethren" but that is the only regular addition to the CW provision and that is a very recent thing.

Thurible

quote:
In The Man with a Stick's link, the ever fascinating Fr Hunwicke starts from the premise that Common Worship is:
quote:
widely regarded as deeply flawed from the point of view of Catholic Eucharistic theology
This makes it necessary for catholic minded priests and worshippers in the Church of England to enhance, supplement or replace their own liturgy with material borrowed from Rome. Whether this is done within the bounds of canon B5, or if the boundaries are sometimes pushed too far, the situation can't be right. Fr Hunwicke later describes the CW Consecration Prayers as "lousy theology" which they certainly are from a Catholic POV, though not necessarily for a MOTR or evengelical worshipper, who isn't trying to find sacrifice or transubstantiation in there. ...
So Fr Hunwicke is now the full, perfect and sufficient authority on what is and is not the worship that God finds acceptable?

I note that he says,
quote:
anything which is even implicitly critical of the English Hierarchy or of any member of it, will not be published
but what would happen if he disagreed with his new hierarchy?

quote:
So Fr Hunwicke is now the full, perfect and sufficient authority on what is and is not the worship that God finds acceptable?

No, but I'd describe him as such on what is or is not legally possible!

Thurible

Posted by Laurence (# 9135) on :

quote:

I note that he says,
quote:
anything which is even implicitly critical of the English Hierarchy or of any member of it, will not be published
but what would happen if he disagreed with his new hierarchy?
I think Fr Hunwicke, along with his fellow ex-Anglican priestly swimmers, is at last discovering the joys of real, whole-hearted obedience to his Ordinary- which involves keeping silent as a matter of conscience on certain matters when you disagree with authority.

I don't want to sound uncharitable at all! For so long, they had to nod and wink to an authority they were deeply uncertain about.

And we can see from this thread that there were lots of people who felt their Catholicity would only be ensured by bending rubrics and adding bits to the liturgy. It must be a blessing just to go up to the altar and say Mass out of the book- no reservations, no "well, if I add the Orate Fratres before the Prayer of Humble Access, and commemorate the Roman Martyrs under my breath during the Comfortable Words..."

Why they didn't go years before is still beyond me, but it's none of my business.

quote:
Originally posted by Laurence:
And we can see from this thread that there were lots of people who felt their Catholicity would only be ensured by bending rubrics and adding bits to the liturgy. It must be a blessing just to go up to the altar and say Mass out of the book- no reservations, no "well, if I add the Orate Fratres before the Prayer of Humble Access, and commemorate the Roman Martyrs under my breath during the Comfortable Words..."

As someone who would instinctively borrow bits, and would have previously quite happily used the Roman books to the exclusion of all others (save, of course, for marriage and possibly funerals), I know what you mean but, certainly talking for myself, I don't feel that my Catholicism is hindered by using CW exclusively (nor, indeed, the BCP exclusively). It's not that the Anglican liturgical forms are inadequate, it's more that they're lacking. Hmm, that sounds as if I'm saying "they're not A, they're A".

An analogy, I suppose, would be that cottage pie is a perfectly decent dinner (in fact, one of my favourites) and does the job, and is even suitable for informal entertaining. However, to make it clear that you're making an effort, one might want to go to a bit of extra trouble. No-one needs a tablecloth, or freshly starched linen; no-one needs candles or flowers; no-one needs the posh glasses rather than tumblers. Nonetheless, though, it makes it explicit what you're trying to do.

Does that make sense?

Thurible

Posted by Laurence (# 9135) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Thurible:

An analogy, I suppose, would be that cottage pie is a perfectly decent dinner (in fact, one of my favourites) and does the job, and is even suitable for informal entertaining. However, to make it clear that you're making an effort, one might want to go to a bit of extra trouble. No-one needs a tablecloth, or freshly starched linen; no-one needs candles or flowers; no-one needs the posh glasses rather than tumblers. Nonetheless, though, it makes it explicit what you're trying to do.

Does that make sense?

Thurible

Yes, and it's a position that makes sense to me- I love the feeling of continuity with a wider church that one gets from "the posh glasses"- whether it's a Greek Kyrie, a Latin Gloria or an Old Church Slavonic Cherubic Hymn.

But the difference for me is, pace Fr Hunwicke and PaulTH, that I don't feel that down-the-line C of E liturgy is so theologically lacking that it needs interpolations. Yes, I grew up in a church which merrily included the Orate Fratres in its so-called ASB Rite A service, and shoved in "Deliver us, O Lord, from every evil and grant us peace in our day" in the Lord's Prayer too. But that was never portrayed as making our mass any more valid, or less invalid.

That way- "validating" the mass through endless liturgical tinkering- just won't work if underneath you don't think your Church has the power and authority to do the Real Thing. Hence I'm pleased that Fr Hunwicke is in a place which is better for him, even though it's probably a loss for the richness of the C of E.

quote:
Originally posted by Laurence:

But the difference for me is, pace Fr Hunwicke and PaulTH, that I don't feel that down-the-line C of E liturgy is so theologically lacking that it needs interpolations.

Yes, indeed.

I concur. And I definitely don't understand those who think it needs interpolations or substitutions. Which, of course, doesn't preclude them.

Thurible

quote:
quote:

Why?

I find the whole assumption that we, the enlightened few and those like us, should not accept the authority of our own church and our own bishops, but assume that either another ecclesial community or our own opinion, knows better, deeply and profoundly unsavory.

It is also - a point that has been made before - a way of thinking that is deeply and profoundly Protestant. I'm Protestant and accept that this is as fundamental a part of the tradition as any other. Fundamental to these people spiritual identity, is their claim that they are not, and that the word is a term of abuse.

quote:
quote:
quote:

Why?

Because, for good or ill, he is exactly the sort of person for whom the term 'Jesuitical' might have been invented.

And, lest that be misinterpreted, Fr Hunwicke is someone for whom I have a huge amount of respect. He is one of the finest confessors I've encountered and is a splendidly pastoral man. That, of course, doesn't detract from the fact that he's a nutter but he's a very loveable nutter.

Thurible

[ 22. January 2013, 11:20: Message edited by: Thurible ]

quote:

I find the whole assumption that we, the enlightened few and those like us, should not accept the authority of our own church and our own bishops, but assume that either another ecclesial community or our own opinion, knows better, deeply and profoundly unsavory.

But "our own" church (or, rather, the Supreme Head of that Church in Parliament) has given the Minister precisely such authority. He/She/It passed the relevant legislation permitting the promulgation of the relevant Canons that give the Minister authority to tinker. I personally think this part of our ecclesiastical law is a complete mess, but it is a mess wholly made by the Bishops and the Synod, tracing back to Lent Holy Week and Easter and beyond.

If you drill a large hole in the prison wall, don't be surprised if a few people seek to walk through it!

quote:

As I'm not clergy, I never had the problems that Fr Hunwicke and others must have had, but I think "unsavory" is a bit strong. Lawrence wondered why these people didn't go to Rome years ago, and since I have, I've asked myself the same question, as I feel spiritually at home for the first time in my 58 years of life. In truth, once I joined Forward in Faith and the Catholic League, I felt out of place with mainstream Anglicanism, and I should have gone then. Several Ordinariate clergy and laity whi I know feel the same.

quote:
It is also - a point that has been made before - a way of thinking that is deeply and profoundly Protestant. I'm Protestant and accept that this is as fundamental a part of the tradition as any other. Fundamental to these people spiritual identity, is their claim that they are not, and that the word is a term of abuse.
In British history, it's Catholic that has always been a term of abuse. It still can be, although not as it once was. When I joined the C of E at 40, I was quite MOTR, and Prayer Book orientated. I just grew into a more Catholic way of thinking. I have appalling memories of fundamentalist Protestantism from my childhood, but I apologise if you feel I'm using the word as a term of abuse. I just so much prefer Catholic theology and practice.

Posted by Charles Read (# 3963) on :

First the most important bit in response to Thurible et al:

Cottage Pie - yum! (No tablecloth required - my wife says I spill food onto my shirt most meals...)

Fr. Hunwicke may well be Jesuitical in his ingenuity but he is wrong - Church of England clergy are required to use an authorised Eucharistic Prayer and the Roman canon is not one of them. This is a reading into ARCIC of what is not there. CW allows you to write / import your own preface in some prayers - but the liturgical tinkering we now allow is closely circumscribed in the case of eucharistic prayers.

In the Cof E those parishes (clergy...)who use the Roman Rite or who use no (recognisable) rite often do so as a kind of badge or flag. It signals who they think they belong with or their theological position more than it does their liturgical convictions.

quote:
Originally posted by Charles Read:
CW allows you to write / import your own preface in some prayers - but the liturgical tinkering we now allow is closely circumscribed in the case of eucharistic prayers.

Charles, would you please expand on this (i.e., argue your case/cite your sources, etc)? As I've said above, I've moved a long way in terms of the desirability of using Roman materials but I'm yet to be convinced that they're forbidden?

Thurible

Posted by Fr Weber (# 13472) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Albertus:
quote:
...in the 19th century, altar candles, vestments and elevation of the host were considered so popish that they aroused persecutions.

Ahem. Ornaments Rubric?
Well, sure. But the interpretation of that rubric was always controversial. The question is whether it refers to the vestments, etc. in use under the Sarum Use or to those prescribed in the 1549 BCP. And some even interpreted the rubric to mean that the ornaments & vestments were not to be used in worship, but retained in the inventory of the churches "for the queen," whatever that might mean.

The elevation of the host, however, was not a practice in use at the time the first BCP was promulgated. It came into Anglicanism via late 19th-century Ritualism.

Is it not true that - technically - any liturgy can be used with the permission of the diocesan Bishop?

Posted by Albertus (# 13356) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Fr Weber:
quote:
quote:

Ahem. Ornaments Rubric?
Well, sure. But the interpretation of that rubric was always controversial. The question is whether it refers to the vestments, etc. in use under the Sarum Use or to those prescribed in the 1549 BCP. And some even interpreted the rubric to mean that the ornaments & vestments were not to be used in worship, but retained in the inventory of the churches "for the queen," whatever that might mean.

The elevation of the host, however, was not a practice in use at the time the first BCP was promulgated. It came into Anglicanism via late 19th-century Ritualism.

Certainly it was controversial: but it was there and a susbstantial number of the CofE clergy who adapted vestments (again) in the C19 did so believing that they were reviving the proper practice of the CofE. There were very likely Anglo-Papalists who would have adopted vestments etc as 'imports from Catholicism (sic)' as Paul TH suggests even if the rubric hadn't been there, but my point was that that wasn't the whole story by any means.

[ 22. January 2013, 20:41: Message edited by: Albertus ]

quote:
Is it not true that - technically - any liturgy can be used with the permission of the diocesan Bishop?

No. According to the various Acts, Measures and Canons the Bishop has no such authority in respect of services for which there is provision in the 'authorised' texts. See Canons B1-B5A

quote:
quote:
CW allows you to write / import your own preface in some prayers - but the liturgical tinkering we now allow is closely circumscribed in the case of eucharistic prayers.

Charles, would you please expand on this (i.e., argue your case/cite your sources, etc)? As I've said above, I've moved a long way in terms of the desirability of using Roman materials but I'm yet to be convinced that they're forbidden?

Thurible

Charles hasn't replied to this because, despite his no doubt saintly patience, he has done so already. His sources are the authorized service books of the Church of England.

Has he? Sorry, where?

Thurible

quote:
Fr. Hunwicke may well be Jesuitical in his ingenuity but he is wrong - Church of England clergy are required to use an authorised Eucharistic Prayer and the Roman canon is not one of them. This is a reading into ARCIC of what is not there. CW allows you to write / import your own preface in some prayers - but the liturgical tinkering we now allow is closely circumscribed in the case of eucharistic prayers.

There's your answer, thurible.

Incidentally, I'm perfectly happy and interested if an Anglican priest uses the Roman Canon. After all it was the authorized Eucharistic Prayer of the Church of England until the unhappy events of the the 1530s. But I see no need and strategically it is counter productive.

This bickering about words and formulas is very Protestant. Surely the eucharist is primarily an action?

Posted by Hart (# 4991) on :

If you believe Augustine, it's a "visible word." I think formulae are rather important, so long as we remember that we have faith in a reality, not in the formulae that describe that reality.

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Fr Weber:
quote:
quote:

Ahem. Ornaments Rubric?

Certainly it was controversial: but it was there and a susbstantial number of the CofE clergy who adapted vestments (again) in the C19 did so believing that they were reviving the proper practice of the CofE. There were very likely Anglo-Papalists who would have adopted vestments etc as 'imports from Catholicism (sic)' as Paul TH suggests even if the rubric hadn't been there, but my point was that that wasn't the whole story by any means.
Indeed - the followers of Percy Dearmer were not anglo-papalists by any stretch of the imagination. They were persuaded that vestments were truly anglican.

quote:
quote:

There's your answer, thurible.
Nope.

Thurible

quote:
Incidentally, I'm perfectly happy and interested if an Anglican priest uses the Roman Canon. After all it was the authorized Eucharistic Prayer of the Church of England until the unhappy events of the the 1530s. But I see no need and strategically it is counter productive.

That is the reason why I said I could see more of an excuse for using the pre-Reformation Canon, than the current Roman one.

However, it would have to be translated into English to comply with Article 24. No such authorised translation was ever made. Even if such had ever existed, it is not in the list of authorised services in the current Canons.

As I understand it, they are:-

1. The 1662 BCP,

2. Common Worship with such discretions as Common Worship allows for, but no others, and

3. A limited permission to concoct services for special occasions that neither the BCP nor CW provide for, provided the concoction complies with the doctrines of the CofE based on scripture, historic formularies and authorised forms of worship.

As both the BCP and CW provide forms of service for Holy Communion, 3 does not authorise concocting ones own or importing someone else's form of Communion Service.
quote:
This bickering about words and formulas is very Protestant. Surely the eucharist is primarily an action?
Up to a point Lord Copper. Aren't Catholic clergy required to use their authorised forms of service and nothing else?

Posted by dj_ordinaire (# 4643) on :

Just a Hostly nudge to keep it civil, good folk!

Thurible is perfectly entitled to ask for additional clarification if he wishes it, venbede (although neither Charles Read nor anybody else is obliged to answer him if they chose not to, of course).

Posted by Incensed (# 2670) on :

St Mary's Bourne Street has managed to retain its High Mass reasonably intact but their Low Masses now have many bits from the new Roman Rite. A case of vicar's choice rather than what the congregation want perhaps? Is this a common approach?

quote:
Originally posted by dj_ordinaire:
Thurible is perfectly entitled to ask for additional clarification if he wishes it, venbede (although neither Charles Read nor anybody else is obliged to answer him if they chose not to, of course).

Indeed. I've no wish to demand Charles Read, or, indeed, anyone else that they should argue their case rather than state it. I would, genuinely, be grateful, though, were they to do so.

Thurible

Posted by Charles Read (# 3963) on :

I was hoping to reply at length / ad nauseam (the latter was I believe the title of a papal decree addressed to clergy who just make you sick...)but I've been too busy tending the Lord's vineyard etc. in this frozen part of England. Just because East Anglia sticks out on the side of the country does not mean we are Alaska.

I'll find the chapter & verse in the CW instructions but I recall it says 'an authorised eucharistic prayer' - and the CofE has authorised liturgical texts and commended ones. As for eucharistic prayers, we have authorised a limited number.

Thanks, Charles; that'd be fab.

Ask Mrs Read for some cottage pie to strengthen you in the vineyard!

Thurible

Looking back on this thread since I last posted on it, I think that PaulTH* did the right thing: he had come to the position where he accepted the claims of the Roman Catholic Church, and he became a Roman Catholic. That's because I think (& am open to correction) that the Roman Catholic Church teaches that if you believe its claims, and yet delay becoming a member, then for as long as you delay, your soul is in peril.

Now, it seems to me that if you use the Roman rite, you have at least gone a long way towards accepting the claims of the Roman Catholic Church. This is not only because the doctrine is expressed in the rite, but also because in choosing that rite over the rite of your own Church, you have recognised it as having a superior authority.

This may not always have been the case. For instance, there were a few years when modern English missals were available, but the CofE was still stuck on traditional language: at that time, you could make an argument that the modern English Roman rite was more pastorally appropriate than the traditional English CofE rite. I think there was also an argument (though not a very good one in my opinion) in the days of the ASB that the Missal was aesthetically and structurally superior. But what I don't see is any argument - other than accepting the authority and therefore the claims of the Roman Catholic Church - to choose the revised Missal over the available CofE rites. Even the "we've always done this" argument is out of the window, because you can't possibly claim to have used the new Missal for more than a few months.

quote:
Thanks, Charles; that'd be fab.

Ask Mrs Read for some cottage pie to strengthen you in the vineyard!

Thurible

He has already replied:
quote:
Alaska.

I'll get me (thermal, hooded) coat.

Posted by Swick (# 8773) on :

I must admit that I find the whole idea of Anglo-papalism to be bizzare. If an Anglican sincerely believes that one needs to be in full commmunion with the Bishop of Rome and all that his church teaches, then one should either join the Ordinariate or become a mainstream Roman Catholic.

That said, I find nothing wrong with praying for either the pope or some other Christian leader. I've been at services where, in addition to praying for our (Episcopalian) Presiding Bishop, we also pray for the Archbishop of Canterbury, the Pope, the Ecumemical Patriarch, and the Presiding Bishop of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America.

Posted by BulldogSacristan (# 11239) on :

Hasn't the pre-Reformation Roman Canon largely been translated into English in the Anglican/American/English Missal, though?

Posted by Augustine the Aleut (# 1472) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Swick:
I must admit that I find the whole idea of Anglo-papalism to be bizzare. If an Anglican sincerely believes that one needs to be in full commmunion with the Bishop of Rome and all that his church teaches, then one should either join the Ordinariate or become a mainstream Roman Catholic.

*snip*

While I tend to agree with Swick on the oddness of Anglo-papalism, it is perhaps a bit more that they wish to receive the liturgical direction of the Patriarchate of the West, while unable to agree on a series of theological and spiritual practices and disciplines. Obviously, if they are on board with them, then Tiber-crossing is really the only logical move. Some say that they are a package, but it seems the anglo-papalists disagree.

Another factor supporting illogicality is that, for many lay-people, there is a strong attachment to their parish community and, in a way difficult for many to understand, to a particular altar and building. The exact colour of the flag or whatever name comes up in the diptychs is not necessarily that important to them.

quote:
Originally posted by BulldogSacristan:
Hasn't the pre-Reformation Roman Canon largely been translated into English in the Anglican/American/English Missal, though?

Yes, but none of those is authorised in the Canons of the CofE either.

(ETA: my mistake - I think it was the Tridentine Canon in the English Missal. I'm not aware of anywhere in the CofE that uses a pre-Reformation rite.)

[ 24. January 2013, 16:16: Message edited by: Adeodatus ]

Posted by AberVicar (# 16451) on :

Cigarette paper: Meet pre- and post-Tridentine Roman Canons...

[Cool]

Posted by Fr Weber (# 13472) on :

quote:
Originally posted by BulldogSacristan:

Some editions of the American Missal (notably the recent revision by Lancelot Andrewes Press) include it, but the edition I have (1950s, by the SSJE) does not.

Both the English Missal and the Anglican Missal in the American edition include the so-called Miles Coverdale translation of the Roman Canon (curiously called the Gregorian Canon--odd, not because one doubts the involvement of Pope St. Gregory the Great in its origin, but because the piece is so well-known by its name, Roman Canon).

As for Anglo-Papalism, here is an excellent study of the phenomenon.

quote:

That said, I find nothing wrong with praying for either the pope or some other Christian leader. I've been at services where, in addition to praying for our (Episcopalian) Presiding Bishop, we also pray for the Archbishop of Canterbury, the Pope, the Ecumenical Patriarch, and the Presiding Bishop of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America.

It is an interesting reflection to wonder whether we are imprisoned by our history.

The fact that some Christians find themselves in a church that was cut off from the catholic church for reasons that initially were nothing to do with religion at all is a "brute fact". Is changing to another denomination that has less history in England (Catholic emancipation was in the early nineteen century) and for much of its time was concerned with ministering to non-English populations in England (hence the jibe "The Italian Mission to the Irish") the right thing to do? Or should each Christian try to be as faithful as they can where they find themselves?

To be honest, I don't see which translation of the missal you used being very high on the agenda when the last trump is sounded. The faith of the Anglo-papalists should be judged by its fruits (e.g Matt 25:31ff)

quote:

Or stay within the C of E and work for that day when the whole will cross the Tiber - that has always been the view of the Catholic League.

It is also the view of GSS, which also regards those who cross alone as traitors.

quote:
quote:

Or stay within the C of E and work for that day when the whole will cross the Tiber - that has always been the view of the Catholic League.

It is also the view of GSS, which also regards those who cross alone as traitors.

I belong to both CL and GSS. I never regarded dual membership in this way to be a contradiction of conviction. What I do know is, that crossing the Tiber would mean forfeiting GSS membership.

Posted by CL (# 16145) on :

quote:

[Confused]

Not a contradiction - i think you misunderstood my point.

Both organisations want a corporate crossing, not individual ones.

After all, catholic faith says we are saved as corporate, not as individuals.

quote:

Yet another reason why I feel I've come home!

quote:
I've been a member of the CL for the last 10 years, and when that objective seemed realistic, I was most enthusiastic about it. But from the League's website:

quote:
It was founded by Anglicans who believed passionately that the future of their Church lay in the reunion of all Christians in a common Catholic and Apostolic faith in restored full communion with the Successor of Peter in the see of Rome.
Two things have changed beyond recognition. There is now no realistic hope of corporate reunion and, knowing that, the Holy Father has taken the intiative in erecting personal Ordinariates, so that corporate reunion is possible for groups who seek it. I couldn't have carried on in the C of E hoping for the impossible. Especially if certain bishops wanted to force me to use, what I consider to be apalling, theologically flawed liturgies.

Growing up in ECUSA as an advanced Anglo-Catholic, I earnestly prayed for reunion with Rome. When I was in high school, I was exposed to the Anglo-Papalist movement and fairly quickly moved into that, even though my fellow parishioners were not generally not interested in it. (Needless to say, the AP movement does not have the same presence in the US that it does in the UK.)

By the end of my freshman year in college, I had pondered the questions that had come to my mind regarding the authority of the Church, especially the councils and the popes. I read Newman and took his words to heart, crossing the Tiber within months. (Old time APs would say that I "made my submission.") I was influenced by Chesterton, Manning, Caswall, Benson and Hopkins. It was several more yeaars before I truly reflected on the APs from the RC perspective.

At that point, and now--decades later---I could say that I have great difficulty understanding why APs remain within the Anglican Communion. I grew up Anglo-Catholic, and was barely more than briefly an Anglo-Papalist myself. I understand the sensibilities of APs, I believe, even among Englishmen--at least as much as a Yank can undestand that. But intellectually, I have never been able to grasp the reasons for staying, if one truly believes in the papacy as Roman Catholics do. This is not a criticism, only a warm and friendly expression of my humble perpspective. [Angel]

Posted by Divine Praises (# 11955) on :

quote:
Growing up in ECUSA as an advanced Anglo-Catholic, I earnestly prayed for reunion with Rome. When I was in high school, I was exposed to the Anglo-Papalist movement and fairly quickly moved into that, even though my fellow parishioners were not generally not interested in it. (Needless to say, the AP movement does not have the same presence in the US that it does in the UK.)

By the end of my freshman year in college, I had pondered the questions that had come to my mind regarding the authority of the Church, especially the councils and the popes. I read Newman and took his words to heart, crossing the Tiber within months. (Old time APs would say that I "made my submission.") I was influenced by Chesterton, Manning, Caswall, Benson and Hopkins. It was several more yeaars before I truly reflected on the APs from the RC perspective.

At that point, and now--decades later---I could say that I have great difficulty understanding why APs remain within the Anglican Communion. I grew up Anglo-Catholic, and was barely more than briefly an Anglo-Papalist myself. I understand the sensibilities of APs, I believe, even among Englishmen--at least as much as a Yank can undestand that. But intellectually, I have never been able to grasp the reasons for staying, if one truly believes in the papacy as Roman Catholics do. This is not a criticism, only a warm and friendly expression of my humble perpspective. [Angel]

[ 24. January 2013, 21:34: Message edited by: Divine Praises ]

Posted by Divine Praises (# 11955) on :

Oh Lord, I just wrote a long reply to Ceremoniar's post and I haven't a clue what happened to it. Too late to rewrite it now but I'll have a go tomorrow.

quote:

Anglo-papalism only makes the limited sense it does in an English context, where they have been able to claim that the C of E is the historic Catholic church of the land, unfortunately separated from Rome through no fault of present-day Anglicans. It surely makes no sense at all in the USA, where the Episcopal Church makes no such claim.

Posted by Triple Tiara (# 9556) on :

quote:
Is changing to another denomination that has less history in England (Catholic emancipation was in the early nineteen century) and for much of its time was concerned with ministering to non-English populations in England (hence the jibe "The Italian Mission to the Irish") the right thing to do? Or should each Christian try to be as faithful as they can where they find themselves?

What very peculiar notions you have of history. Furthermore, what an Erastian view of history!

The Church doesn't exist simply from the moment the state tolerates it.

I wonder what you make of the Recusants and those who kept faithfully to the Catholic Church, despite the persecution by the state. Do you simply airbrush them from the picture? How very Soviet of you. Ministering to "non-English populations" (the Irish) was a very late development, following Irish migration. John Southworth, Ambrose Barlow, Margaret Clitherow, Cuthbert Mayne et al had nothing to do with ministering to the Irish, but with keeping the Church alive, albeit underground, in England, amongst the English.

It all sounds so terribly Sellar and Yeatman of you. On the American War of Independence: "This was a Good Thing in the end, as it was a cause of the British Empire, but it prevented America from having any more History". Your religious version reads something like: The Tudor Reformation - "This was a Good Thing in the end, as it was a cause of the Anglican Communion, but it prevented Catholics from having any more History".

As we all know, the Protestants were Right but Repulsive and the Catholics Wrong but Wromantic.

quote:
Not a contradiction - i think you misunderstood my point.

Both organisations want a corporate crossing, not individual ones.

If the truth can be told, there are arguably too many so-called (anglo)-catholic societis and to my mind, a form of unity in diversity. Obviously, there are considerably more such societies than CL and GSS. All such societies are in favour of some sort of reunion with "the other side of the Tiber".

Posted by Percy B (# 17238) on :

I think one point not brought out is that many Anglo Catholics like to be different, idiosyncratic or eccentric - in relation to their fellow Anglicans.

In this they differ often from RCs.

Using Roman rite or even English Missal marks people as different... Up the candle etc.

Whether or not its actually legal is a secondary or even tertiary matter.

quote:
Originally posted by Percy B:
I think one point not brought out is that many Anglo Catholics like to be different, idiosyncratic or eccentric - in relation to their fellow Anglicans.

In this they differ often from RCs.

Using Roman rite or even English Missal marks people as different... Up the candle etc....

I regret to say, Percy B that I think there is truth in what you say.

[ 26. January 2013, 09:02: Message edited by: Enoch ]

© Ship of Fools 2016