Thread: Pete's in York (briefly) Board: Oblivion / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=70;t=025131

Posted by PeteC (# 10422) on :

I arrive in York (Central York Travelodge) on the afternoon of the 19 April. The 19th will be spent on a private visit, but the evening of the 20th is open for supper and a drink with anyone around. My friend may be with me, or he might have other things to do. Either way, I still have to eat, so who's there to risk meeting an axe-murderer from the Internet?

I leave on the 21st after this Blitzkrieg of a visit to take London by storm (of which, more later).

Posted by sophs (# 2296) on :

I wish I could. If you can get down to Leeds I can meet you there, but I can't get up to York sadly!

Posted by balaam (# 4543) on :

quote:
Originally posted by PeteC:
so who's there to risk meeting an axe-murderer from the Internet?

If you can risk meeting us we can risk meeting you. York or a Sophs friendly Leeds (which is one stop away on a frequent express train) are possible for LRP and myself.

Sorry to be so long in responding. I plan to visit the Minster and the Jorvic Centre, and doubt that I will be up for another trip, even an express one to Leeds. So sorry to Sophs. [Frown]

Could anyone suggest a place to eat in Central York? Or drink? But I don't actually drink that much, Perfidious Wodders to the contrary.

Posted by Jengie Jon (# 273) on :

I am watching this thread, but so much depends on thesis. From what I recall there are plenty of eating venues in York. The National Trust has a wheel chair friendly tea room right beside the Minster, but there are local shipmates who may well be able to make a better suggestion.

Jengie

[ 04. March 2013, 15:34: Message edited by: Jengie Jon ]

Posted by Earwig (# 12057) on :

Pete, am I right in thinking you're veggie? If so, El Piano on Grape Lane is lovely and all vegetarian and wheelchair accessable, Goji on Goodramgate is veggie and wheelchair accessable, although there's no disabled access loo. Apparantly the pub next door is happy to let people use theirs, but that's not ideal...

As for non-veggie places, I like Meltons Too which is pretty near the Travelodge and is fully wheelchair accessable. If you want somewhere unusual, you could try the Bar Convent, a RC convent with a lovely cafe, near the station (not sure about accessability).

Posted by Jack the Lass (# 3415) on :

I won't be there as I'll be at one of the Edinburgh PeteMeets, but I did want to say El Piano is my absolute favourite restaurant in York, and even if you're not veggie the food is marvellous [Smile]

I suppose the issue will be getting from where you are to whichever restaurant, as I imagine the cobbled streets aren't ideal for wheelchairs.

They all look yummy. So what do you say to a meet at El Piano on Saturday evening?

I will try to convince my friend to have a supper at Melton Too on Thursday evening....

A tea room next to the Minster sounds rather good especially after a long period breating prayer book dust. [Biased]

I expect that they will have small beer, mulled wine and oatcakes at the Jorvic Centre? [Biased]

Posted by Welease Woderwick (# 10424) on :

I wouldn't bank on that for Thursday evening Pete as you don't leave Edinburgh until Friday morning...

...unless you can teleport in which case why did you bother with your train tickets?

Oops you are quite wight, Wod. Unusual, that. At least I got the shipmeet time and day right.

Hmmm, if it's on a saturday I may see if I can make it. If I get a minion to push me it may be doable. Then we can really test wheel chair accessibility!

[Yipee] sophs! What's your top speed? We can do drag races on the cobbles! [Angel]

If you've never seen Pete in drag, this is not something you should miss!

...or perhaps it is!

[Two face]

Posted by St. Gwladys (# 14504) on :

[tangent] - would someone be willing to post me a bag of Wodders' chilli?[/tangent]

St G I am about to post in the Chilli thread so don't despair yet.

quote:
[Yipee] sophs! What's your top speed? We can do drag races on the cobbles! [Angel]

My top speed is however fast my pusher runs! Or if I can pursuade them to let me free wheel down a hill that's fun too!

St G, of course!

I hope someone might be able to book El Piano for the requisite number of people. Please ensure that it is a ground floor booking as we may have 2 wheelchairs on the Saturday.

I wonder if I could convince someone to book for two people at Melton Too on the Friday night? My friend will be in from Canada for a conference that week, so I can't ask him can I? And I don't arrive in York until mid-afternoon on the Friday...

Is there any chance we can make it an early evening meet? Basically the earlier it is, the more chance I have to get there! I know I'm being a pain but the more I think about it the more I want to come to the meet!

Early evening is fine by me - if it is also ok by the others...

You won't mind starting drinking early if it's in a good cause, will you Pete?

Posted by Mrs Shrew (# 8635) on :

Ooooh! This sounds fun, and being local I can definitely go :-) el piano is really tasty.

I should be able to book once times and numbers are agreed if that is helpful

Is 5 too early for people?

Any time you like is OK with LRP and myself.

5 pm is perfectly fine for me - I am not particularly a late-night person (Except the Easter Vigil and Christmas eve masses)

Let's hold off for a bit to see if any others chime in before we fix numbers, eh?

I wonder if Mrs Shrew and Jengie Jon have made plans for the Saturday evening dinner for 5 pm?

Just bumping this up, as I will be offline (barring a public computer somewhere) for the entirety of my UK visit (10:30 am IT April 14-April 25th 0900 - the last is where I enter purdah at LHR)

Ooh sorry! I was holding off booking until more people had had chance to reply/nearer the time. Five is fine for me, looking forward to it

No problem, Mrs Shrew - I was hoping that Jengie Jon would pop by to express interest. Booking next week is perfectly fine.

I was watching honest but with thesis was not sure how I would feel. Then parents asked if they could come across that day to visit and I said yes. Partly because I was realising I needed a break from the pressure I am working under.

However I have moved them to the Monday, and so I can make it. Sorry if this has caused problems. I have literally just got off the phone to them.

Jengie

So it looks like 8 for Saturday* (if Earwig comes). This includes 2 wheelchairs, so a ground floor booking is essential.

Looking forward to meeting you all! See you all on the 20th.

*Have I missed anyone?

Does the 8 include my pusher? Also I may bring another ship related friend but I'll call them if necessary to add her.

Thanks

sophs

The more the merrier.

You have a pusher? [Eek!]

The answer is yes, I did include him. Or her.

quote:
The more the merrier.

You have a pusher? [Eek!]

The answer is yes, I did include him. Or her.

Excellent!

Okay, booking has been made for 5pm for 8 people - the restaurant is very small so it is going to have to be a split table (we might have to move round during the courses to maximise chatting). They confirmed there will be space for 2 wheelchairs.
It is in name Ship of Fools.

Time to put this on the front page as a reminder to people.

Jengie

Posted by Earwig (# 12057) on :

Hope you have a lovely time. I'm sorry I can't be there - not too well at the moment.

The Eagle has landed! See you tomorrow at 5 pm!

But the BALD Eagle is an American symbol [Biased]

quote:
Originally posted by Earwig:
Hope you have a lovely time. I'm sorry I can't be there - not too well at the moment.

Take care, and Pete will just have to make York again some day!

Jengie

Get well soon, Erwig.

We'll be setting off shortly, and spend the afternoon in York. Working up an appetite.

Anyone else who's early, watch out for us.

OOOOPS. Sorry about the typo.

Off to get the train shortly. I will keep an eye open in case I spot anyone, if I have time I will probably spend some time in the Minster.

Jengie

Posted by Jack the Lass (# 3415) on :

Hope you all have a fab time. I *love* El Piano [Smile]

Good time had, I saw Pete off in a Taxi, and I just hope that the driver got him to the right place.

Jengie

Also thanks for Sophs for setting the right time to go home at least for me. I only pumpkined on the tram up home from the station.

Jengie

Posted by Ye Olde Motherboarde (# 54) on :

Sounds like a good time was had by all. Did you all have a fun time with Pete?

Now, where are the photos?
[Axe murder]

Posted by kentishmaid (# 4767) on :

Photo here

Thanks Kentishmaid.

quote:
Originally posted by kentishmaid:
Photo here

Bald heads, glassas and beards are not compulsory. Even for the men.

Thanks everyone for a lovely afternoon :-) it was nice to see you (if briefly)

Indeed had a great time! Thanks to you all for assisting me to an area for a cab.

On Sunday morning went to reception to book a cab to the train. Who knew that very few wheelchair cabs operate on Sunday? Finally got one by weeping and wailing an hour earlier than I really wanted.

Thank goodness I am obsessive about packing before going to breakfast!

Would someone please tell East Rail that there is no lift at Hitchin coming from Peterborough\//

© Ship of Fools 2016