Thread: Game of Thrones Season 3 Board: Oblivion / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=70;t=025308

Posted by Barnabas62 (# 9110) on :

Which starts in the US tonight and in the UK (on Sky Atlantic) tomorrow.

As one of those thoroughly "hooked" by both Seasons 1 and 2 - and now by the books - I thought I'd set up an appreciation thread for similar addicts.

Looking forwards to it. Lots!!

Perhaps there's only me?

Episode 1 was notable for a growing dragon, a twelve foot giant, an excised nipple, Samwell Tarly running -- oh and some crackling good dialogue. Notably the biting exchanges berween Tywen and Tyrion Lannister, the first exchanges between Mance Rayder and Jon Snow, and the vile Dothraki-speaking slavemaster and Daenerys Stormborn. Oh yes, and Margaery Tyrell has been well launched into the plot line as a kind of Kate Middleton prototype.

Like a late Christmas present, or another yummy Easter egg, it all was. As the admiringly stunned Sky Atlantic announcer commented at the end "Blimey!!"

IMO off to a good racing start. (But then, I've now read the books).

[ 01. April 2013, 23:09: Message edited by: Barnabas62 ]

Posted by Trudy Scrumptious (# 5647) on :

I'm hoping to watch it tonight. Really looking forward to Ciarin Hinds as Mance Rayder (I'm not sure I spelled either his real or fantasy names correctly).

Posted by Alex Cockell (# 7487) on :

I'll be joining you all in summer when Blinkbox get the series...

Posted by earrings (# 13306) on :

Have read the books though got a bit bogged down in book 5. We've just got the dvd of series 2 so are way behind, don't have sky. The productions are stunning from what I have seen and really enjoyable.

Posted by The Mid (# 1559) on :

This series should be good, quite a lot happens now, though the only disappointment will be less Tyrion on screen, as Peter Dinklage is sensational. Though more Daenerys and that is always a good thing. I'm also looking forward to her interactions with Ser Jorah Mormont - I feel quite differently about the tv character than I do about the books - I feel for the tv character a lot more, so I'm looking forward to see how they go with that.

How good was Diana Rigg as the Queen of Thorns!?!?! Neck and neck with Tyrion as best character in the show!!

Did anyone else find that the Red Priest didn't look as you imagined?

quote:
Originally posted by The Mid:
Though more Daenerys and that is always a good thing. I'm also looking forward to her interactions with Ser Jorah Mormont - I feel quite differently about the tv character than I do about the books - I feel for the tv character a lot more, so I'm looking forward to see how they go with that.

All down to Ian Glen. Very sympathetic portrayal.

And Peter Dinklage continues to be both memorable and mesmeric as Tyrion.

quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas62:
quote:
Though more Daenerys and that is always a good thing. I'm also looking forward to her interactions with Ser Jorah Mormont - I feel quite differently about the tv character than I do about the books - I feel for the tv character a lot more, so I'm looking forward to see how they go with that.

All down to Ian Glen. Very sympathetic portrayal.

I agree, that's one of the standouts of the series for me ... I barely noticed Jorah and his relationship with Daenerys in the books, but it's one of the most interesting relationships and he's one of my favourite characters in the series.

Is anyone else (out there.....no, wait) finding this season a little harder to...not get into, but...umm...feel like it is progressing due to the shorter clips that we seem to be getting? Maybe it is just me and they are no shorter than before, but I feel with so many characters now requiring screen time, and despite lengthy cuts to the book, it doesn't feel like the story is progressing well enough. Maybe this is from watching it week apart and not in one go, I don't know? Maybe it is just me...

Posted by Sir Kevin (# 3492) on :

I do have HBO, but I don't watch that. It is too long. I do get "Veep" and I like that because it's short and much happens in a half hour.

quote:
Is anyone else (out there.....no, wait) finding this season a little harder to...not get into, but...umm...feel like it is progressing due to the shorter clips that we seem to be getting?

Maybe it's just me, and probably because I'm now well marinated in the books, but I'm actually enjoying this series more. For example, in the latest episode there was the Tywin Lannister exchange with Cersei and Tyrion at which his "wishes" were amde known about who they should marry. Crackling exchanges and several "if looks could kill" moments. And Sansa continues to be an irritatingly gorgeous naif! Plus, plus ...

Lots of goodies in the latest episode. I suppose it is a bit like a box of liquorice allsorts, but still decidedly tasty for me.

[At a tangent, I thought the finish of "Spartacus; War of the Damned" was stunning. I've found that quite a lot of people who enjoy Game of Thrones have also enjoyed Spartacus.]

I love every time the Lannisters get together. To watch Tywin manipulate his kids, each of whom believes they are soooo smart (and so much wants Daddy's love and approval) is brilliant. I loved how Cersei really thought she had the upper hand over Tyrion in that scene until Tywin revealed he had a marriage planned for her too.

Posted by The5thMary (# 12953) on :

Oh, God... we are getting very close to a part of one of the books where tragic things happen to Rob, Catelyn, and Rob's poor wolf. I won't give it away for people who haven't read the books, but I fervently hope the television show "doesn't go there". I mean, the poor wolf!! He certainly doesn't deserve what happens to him... tonight;s episode was the precursor to the awfulness... I was telling my wives that right after Walder Frey's sons speak to Rob about reneging on his promise to marry one of Walder's daughters and demanding that some make in Rob's party make good on the promise, then the evil is right around the corner. However, given that the television show has added and subtracted things from the books, I am on pins and needles hoping that the awfulness just doesn't happen... I don't much care what happens to Rob OR Catelyn, but Rob's wolf... he's the one I worry about! I know, I'm damn weird.

There is no way the TV show will leave out one of the most pivotal and important events in the books. They may change some details in how they portray it but it's definitely going to happen ... the whole story would be different if it didn't.

I can still remember the creeping horror and dread I felt while reading that scene in the books, the dawning awareness that Something Very Bad was about to happen. It was very well written and I hope the TV series does it justice.

I thought the last episode was powerful. Appreciating just how many story lines are available to be fitted into the limited series time, the screenplay editors seem to me to be choosing well.

High spot (literally); the Wall climb and the panoramic scenes both sides of the Wall.

Some really painful scenes as well. I'm hooked again ..

Here's an interesting link for aficionados

Good news re Season 4, though there will be ongoing "fun" over piracy. Fandom has definitely gone more generally "round the world". George R R's bank account must be looking pretty good ..

Episode 8 of Season 3 was both a blast and a set-up. Sansa's "wedding day from Hell" was brilliantly excruiciating.

And you can feel the "big events" coming round the corner..

I am SO EXCITED for the next episode.

I'll come clean, btw, and admit that I'm one of those people who helps break the piracy records. I also buy the DVDs when they come out, so the creators eventually get their money out of me, but I don't have HBO and I don't want to wait a year to see it. I'm actually very opposed to online piracy -- as a writer, I'd hate it if people were always downloading my books for free -- but I also hate the fact that there's no legal way to pay to watch a show like Game of Thrones as it's airing (without buying the whole HBO package). If you could download it for $3.99 from the HBO website the day after it aired, I'd gladly pay for it, but if they're not going to make that option available then I will download the torrent to tide me over till the DVD is available.

... and next episode is delayed a week in both US and UK, by Memorial Day (US) and late Spring Bank Holiday (UK). By all accounts, it's a brain-fryer!

Now that's the sort of wedding reception no one should have to live through. (And a lot didn't). Even though I knew what was coming, it was still shocking.

Posted by Kelly Alves (# 2522) on :

I don't really follow the show, but from what I understand the latest was exceptionally traumatic, so I just came here to say [Votive] to all the traumatized GoT fans on the Ship.

No, really. People are flipping out.

[ 04. June 2013, 20:04: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas62:
Now that's the sort of wedding reception no one should have to live through. (And a lot didn't). Even though I knew what was coming, it was still shocking.

Nothing will ever recapture for me the feeling of reading that scene in the book ... the slowly dawning sense of "Oh shit, something is very wrong at this wedding." I don't think we got that sense of impending doom quite as much on TV but it might just seem that way to me because I did know what was coming. Certainly the moment when the doors are closed, when Cat recognized the song that's playing, and when she sees Roose Bolton is wearing chain-mail under his clothes, were all pretty chilling. I almost wish I could wipe my brain and watch it without the foreknowledge.

quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:

No, really. People are flipping out.

They sure are. I'm rarely surprised by anything these days, but I guess it shows how much these characters (and the actors who play them) have become real for lots of fans. This tweet sums it up

quote:
Hey, #GameofThrones, you win. You now have more of an impact on my emotional well being than anything else in life.
Almost worth a Purgatory thread ..

The trailer for Episode 10 is suitably vague. Who else doesn't have a contract for Season 4? I'm not saying, but I've got a pretty good idea ...

Spoiler Alert.

For any who still have episode 9 to watch (and haven't read the books) don't look at the video links here.

They do give some idea of the reactions Kelly mentioned.

HBO can put you into therapy, apparently ..

© Ship of Fools 2016