Thread: Is the Corporate Media Telling Us What is True? Board: Oblivion / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=70;t=025466

Posted by Emily Windsor-Cragg (# 17687) on :

When I first came here last month, a lot of you decided I was a nutjob, right off the bat.

So I want to share with you an experience I'm having so you can put your judgment into a larger perspective. Fair? I think so.

As you know, my thesis is that we're LIED TO constantly and over the top, and my conviction is, this has to stop.

My particular skills (as a corporate trainer for Xerox Corporation) is in digital image processing. I know how to DECODE and UNDO photoshopped images.

Since 2007 I have archived and examined about forty thousand images of Mars, no small feet. (I wear ladies' size 11, which is 41-42 cm.)

So, when I sent the following link to 20 of my contacts at NASA, I knew they knew I wasn't kidding.

http://www.scienfree.org/marsmap.htm

Let me tell you about the outcome. :giggle: It's been a real hoot.

The email account from which I sent this link to NASA has been disabled since ONE HOUR after they received the email.

At Facebook all 10 pages of mine have been disabled from uploading images ... since that email was sent.

Moreover, every posting I place in the Facebook News Feed is subject to censorship, with about 1/3 of them actually getting truncated.

Censorship is real. Official news stories are exactly that, as in the days of 1950's Pravda.

There truly is NO freedom of speech as we have known it since the magna carta in 1200 ad.

Moreover, the Church is subject to censorship even worse than I am, here in the good old not-see USA.

http://www.newswithviews.com/baldwin/baldwin756.htm

Posted by Golden Key (# 1468) on :

Emily--

Yes, people in authority lie. But there are lots of people who work to tell the truth and to help make the world better..

Here are some you might want to check out:

--Common Dreams progressive news, with great resource links at the bottom of the page.

--Yes! magazine specializes in workable solutions that create hope and good change.

-- The Care2 community has petitions, daily actions, free click-to-donate, and much more.

Posted by MSHB (# 9228) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Emily Windsor-Cragg:
Since 2007 I have archived and examined about forty thousand images of Mars, no small feet. (I wear ladies' size 11, which is 41-42 cm.)

"feet" - things attached to the end of your legs.

"feat" - an accomplishment (as in the phrase "I ... examined forty thousand images of Mars, no small feat.").

They are different words derived from different languages. It is merely an accident that they sound the same.

Posted by Dave W. (# 8765) on :

quote:
So, when I sent the following link to 20 of my contacts at NASA, I knew they knew I wasn't kidding.

http://www.scienfree.org/marsmap.htm

I'm sure they were delighted.

Since your fascination with size and proportion continues unabated, perhaps you'd care to comment on why your claims re: the moon's size and distance predict that it should appear 44 times smaller than it does (as noted here), so that their wrongness is obvious to anyone who cares to go outside and use their own eyes?

MSHB--

Maybe she meant it as a pun??? YMMV.

quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
MSHB--

Maybe she meant it as a pun??? YMMV.

Yes, I meant "no small feat/feet" as a pun, trying to insert some levity into this disgusting situation.

I'm beyond outrage. My work over the past seven years proves that NASA lies with their images.

This implicates all agencies that claim, they are USGovt agencies.

If you take time to scrutinize www.scienfree.org/marsmap.htm .............

you realize, NASA has absolutely no intention to tell any of us anything true. They have an agenda, locked-tight ... and we the people simply do not matter to them.

EEWC

[ 08. June 2013, 04:11: Message edited by: Emily Windsor-Cragg ]

Posted by Anglican't (# 15292) on :

To clarify, why would they lie? Why would NASA claim that Mars isn't, in fact, only 12 miles in diameter and spend considerable amounts of money pretending that isn't the case?

Posted by Schroedinger's cat (# 64) on :

Is the corporate media telling us what is true? No. They tell us what they want us to hear. No surprise there, but, as Jean Badrillard understood, this can become the truth.

Does NASA utilise colour adjustment to the images we see of Mars? Yes, because they have to. When one of the first landers arrived, they showed a very red planet. That was quickly adjusted when they realised that the images had been badly interpreted. The thing is, you need to apply some interpretation to the images received because of the nature of the cameras and the data feeds that are returned.

Your arguments that the size of Mars is much smaller, because you see patterns, and use these to interpret the scale. Well that is because the human brain is very very good at seeing patterns, but not always at interpreting them properly. That is why it is possible to see the face of Jesus or Mary in pretty much anything. It means nothing, other than the fact that our brain works in a particular way.

Emily - you are quite clearly batshit crazy. You see conspiracies where there are none, and so help to hide the real deceits (of which there are some, just not the ones that everyone gets stroppy about).

Posted by ken (# 2460) on :

Emily, I'll ask you again.

You say that NASA put false colour on their photos from Mars. One of the things you say they get wrong is that the sky often looks pink, you say it looks blue. How exactly do you know that the sky seen from Mars looks blue, if you haven't been there?

(That's the third time I asked that question I think)

Also you do realise, I assume, that astronomical telescopes often show upside-down images because (in some kinds of telescopes) that saves putting an extra lens in the light path, which might lose some light? So asgtronomers have for centuries often printed pictures of planets etc upside down from our point of view? Its no conspiracy, just a tradition. Everyoine who knows anything about astronomical telescopes already knows it. You can read about it in kids books. Usually written by Patrick Moore.

[ 08. June 2013, 09:32: Message edited by: ken ]

Posted by lily pad (# 11456) on :

You have ten pages on Facebook? Gosh, I thought they only allowed one per person. Did you query them as to why you are not allowed to upload photos anymore? Perhaps they have discovered you have more than one account.

Actually, I just went and looked on your Facebook page and all your links are still there. Were you truly being censored, wouldn't they have removed your links?

Personally, I trust Chris Hadfield and have no reason not to trust him. His photos from space were truly inspirational. I don't see any influence of Corporate Media in his work - in fact, I see the exact opposite.

Posted by anoesis (# 14189) on :

quote:
When I first came here last month, a lot of you decided I was a nutjob, right off the bat.

I did, yeah. Not so much because of the specific specifics of what you were/are claiming, mind. More the general flavour of it.

There is a great conspiracy afoot, which all institutions and powers are bound up in - only a select few (of which I am one) are able to see the truth - although it is everywhere, all around us, and the rest of the sheeple remain blind wilfully because they are either too stupid to see or too afraid to look. This underlying conspiracy explains everything about everything, and emanates from powers beyond our control, and not of this planet...

This was my Dad's basic viewpoint on life. He died a couple of years ago and I loved him very much and miss him every day - still. He was a marvellous father and a person of huge energy with an amazing capacity to turn his hand to a solution to any kind of practical/handyman/engineering problem - and a generosity of spirit and time which I have not yet met in anyone else. But as I approached adulthood, I came to accept that he was, in some sense - in some areas - a bit crazy, at least in the colloquial sense of the word.

I was not, and am not, sad or mad about this, because I don't think it was a bad thing for him - it gave a sense of order to a chaotic world and provided an explanation for the otherwise inexplicable things he saw going on around him. Lately I have also come to think that he also found an acceptance within the community of (What I would call) like-minded conspiracy wingnuts that he was perhaps not able to ever fully get in the 'real' world*. The sense of being one of an elite few who really understand the truth of what is going on motivates more than just conspiracy theorists, I think. It is likely at least some of what is behind the 'salvation is found only here' brands of Christianity.

So yeah, Emily, I think, in some senses, that you're a nutjob. But that is fine. It's not as though I really know the answers to anything. Does it really matter whether you can convince some strangers on the internet of your version of events, or that your children love and respect you, despite your quirks?

*Although his life in some respects is the classic 'Pulled meself up by me own bootstraps' story, his accent forever said 'I'm London and working-class', even after thirty-something years abroad. Though one might hope that it matters less here.

Posted by Martin PC not & Ship's Biohazard (# 368) on :

Emily, ALL of us did. Even the nut jobs. ESPECIALLY (sorry Doublethink) the nut jobs (we are legion here). Nut jobs know nuts when they see it. And it's OK.

OK NASA is lying and the moon's a balloon. So ? Why does that prevent YOU serving the afflicted ?

Posted by Rowen (# 1194) on :

Most people I know are a bit strange, some very strange indeed.... Call it quirky, or outside the box, or nuts.
How do I come to this conclusion? Well, I read Facebook, and I am a minister, and a social worker, and am a member of a large extended family, and I have friends ... In other words, I exist. And I am probably rather strange too.
Some folk choose to be crazy over politics. Some choose music; some choose conspiracy theory. Hey, whatever rocks your boats.
I guess I am concerned when some individual thinks they have the right answer and that everyone else must therefore be either wrong, stupid, blind or whatever. It is unbelievably demeaning and disrespectful to everyone else.
Frankly, ordinary life is just too busy and funny and scary and wonderful and challenging and love-filled to worry about making sure everyone else believes the same as everyone else. Especially if I get to be the one who chooses the belief. What makes me so special? How did I get to be king or queen of the universe? Or much cleverer than all those folk around me? Or the only one who can decipher the truth amidst all the glory of life?
I write a weekly "pastor's letter" for the local newspaper. I don't think I am part of any global conspiracy or mad. (Although local atheists might well think I am deluded by my faith). I just try to -
+ be true to my value system,
+ be kind and respectful to others and to the natural world around me,
+ not force others to be just like me,
+ love and honour God

The fact that I don't know where Mars is in the sky doesn't bother me. I am pleased that some people do. That makes them happy. Or worried maybe. Or angry.
Just as long as they don't want the rest of us to be just like them.

The quadity ?

Posted by Gwai (# 11076) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's cat:
Emily - you are quite clearly batshit crazy. You see conspiracies where there are none, and so help to hide the real deceits (of which there are some, just not the ones that everyone gets stroppy about).

Schroedinger's cat and all: Just because someone is aware that you feel that way, does NOT make the personal insult okay in Purgatory. Your opinions about other people's mental states are highly inappropriate except in Hell.

Gwai,
Purgatory Host

[ 08. June 2013, 12:33: Message edited by: Gwai ]

Posted by Schroedinger's cat (# 64) on :

Gwai - and Emily - apologies.

Posted by Porridge (# 15405) on :

Just a reaction to the thread title, which includes the term "corporate media."

Long ago and far away, I got involved in print media at a large university's student newspaper for a couple of years. This led to a year's work at a largish urban newspaper. While by no means an expert, I did learn a little about the "corporate media" while so engaged.

The main job of the media (at least in the U.S.) is (or at least was back then) to report news. News is quite different from reporting "truth" (whatever that is when at home in its slippers, regardless of size [Biased] ).

"News" consists of events likely to affect a large number of people; or events which may affect only a small number of people, but in significant ways; or that consist of acts by the government; or that represent commercial, technological, or other developments likely to affect people in the near or even long-term future.

"Events" typically unfold over time. Hence, initial reports of "events" sometimes contain factual errors. Remember Hurricane Katrina? First media reports (about rapes and murders at the KingDome) were wildly off-base. Why? Reporters were not actually present at the scene. They were getting second, third, and fourth-hand accounts by phone, often from very frightened people, and could not personally check these accounts to verify them; communications were down, streets were flooded; there was no way reporters could check. Neither could they wait (for why, see below).

Later, many of these initial accounts proved false when reporters attempted to verify them. Corrections got published; verified accounts gave a more accurate understanding of conditions in the KingDome during the storm.

"News" consists of two parts: information released by those making "the news," and follow-up by reporters. Reporters get inundated with press releases by companies, individuals, and agencies who believe they have something newsworthy to offer.

The reporter's job is to use his/her judgment (News Filter 1) to decide which of these items might be most important for the public to know tomorrow, next week, next month, etc. S/he checks this out with his/her editor, someone with more OTJ experience and a deeper knowledge of the values of the community which the paper serves (News Filter 2).

Then the reporter has to follow-up with the releaser of the news, checking and verifying alleged 'facts' by running them past two knowledgeable expert sources independent of the first one, and reporting what these additional sources have to say about the matter.

Over against all this is the simple fact that print media are private corporate enterprises themselves. Every column-inch in a newspaper has to get paid for -- through subscriptions & advertising. A new "budget" gets created for the paper every single day it publishes. Daily revenues determine how many pages the paper can print that day, and how much space on these pages can be devoted to the "news." (Advertising gets first dibs on space, since, along with subscriptions, it pays the bills for the rest.)

This space is the "news hole." It's News Filter # 3. There is always more news material generated by the paper's reporters than can fit into this "news hole." Individual reporters compete for this space. The paper as a whole competes with other media to get information out to the public first, or more accurately, or more fully (hence the need for speed).

The daily budget meeting, where the editors in charge of every section of the paper -- sports, legislature, entertainment, town/city/state/federal government, features, and so on -- decide together which stories will be included, where they'll go in the paper, whether they'll include "art" (photos) and how much they have to be cut (or rarely, lengthened) to fit the space these editors allot them.

At a daily paper, these decisions have to be made quickly, and involve a lot of very precise measurement and planning done very fast.

That said, broadcast news, about which I know almost nothing, may work differently, but the principles are the same, except in broadcast news they deal with time limitations rather than space limitations.

Emily, these calculations are complicated, fast-paced and require judgment, investigation, decision-making, and intense concentration just to get the product out on the schedule expected by the paying public.

There is precious little room or time in these calculations for the "corporate media" to concoct deliberate efforts to deceive the public.

Most real deceptions eventually come to light. Journalists who misquote (or worse, "invent") sources or deliberately skew stories generally end up fired, sometimes publicly disgraced, and unable to continue working in the field. Editors and CEOs who let this sort of thing go on get fired or even close up shop (like R. Murdoch and his phone-hacking scandal and -- was it -- NOTW?).

Being "found out" in this fashion would wreck -- just as it did Murdoch's paper -- the publication's credibility, and make its product worthless. That's why fraud, deceit, etc. which is deliberate is pretty rare.

Of course, the speed at which the media works results in screw-ups -- sometimes egregious ones. But these are by and large honest mistakes, and these too get reported.

And that's the "truth."

Posted by malik3000 (# 11437) on :

Other than non-profit operations, the main job of the media (at least in the U.S.) is to reap as big as possible a profit for the owners (almost always large corporations), period, full stop.

[ 08. June 2013, 15:38: Message edited by: malik3000 ]

Yes, I subscribe to these three plus half a dozen more.

But it's not their business to investigate scientific lying in astronomy, astrophysics and space science.

I have to work on real data to get at THOSE lies.

[Smile] emily

quote:
Emily--

Yes, people in authority lie. But there are lots of people who work to tell the truth and to help make the world better..

Here are some you might want to check out:

--Common Dreams progressive news, with great resource links at the bottom of the page.

--Yes! magazine specializes in workable solutions that create hope and good change.

-- The Care2 community has petitions, daily actions, free click-to-donate, and much more.

quote:
Originally posted by Anglican't:
To clarify, why would they lie? Why would NASA claim that Mars isn't, in fact, only 12 miles in diameter and spend considerable amounts of money pretending that isn't the case?

I think what happens is, they BELIEVE what ETs tell them, particularly those ETs who've signed on to treaties [Greada, TauNine] with the U.S.

USCoverment is not critical of what ETs say because obviously, the ETs would never lie to us.

BUT THEY DO ... in spades ... and NASA is gullible as a 12-yr-old being sold on a snipe hunt.

Emily

Posted by Lamb Chopped (# 5528) on :

The problem with massive conspiracy theories is that they leave out one of the basic facts of human life, i.e. that we can't stop ourselves from totally cocking things up. Which means that any conspiracy including more than, say, two people, is bound to do astronomically stupid and obvious things that end up unmasking the whole affair sooner rather than later.

We lie, but we're damned bad at it.

quote:
Originally posted by ken:
Emily, I'll ask you again.

You say that NASA put false colour on their photos from Mars. One of the things you say they get wrong is that the sky often looks pink, you say it looks blue. How exactly do you know that the sky seen from Mars looks blue, if you haven't been there?

I show their false-color filter at:

http://www.scienfree.org/images/MARS/23_NASAcolorfilter.jpeg

NASA is completely open about this.

(That's the third time I asked that question I think)

Also you do realise, I assume, that astronomical telescopes often show upside-down images because (in some kinds of telescopes) that saves putting an extra lens in the light path, which might lose some light? So asgtronomers have for centuries often printed pictures of planets etc upside down from our point of view? Its no conspiracy, just a tradition. Everyoine who knows anything about astronomical telescopes already knows it. You can read about it in kids books. Usually written by Patrick Moore.

Ever hear of the concept, "cooperation"?

IF the astronomy community wanted to cooperate with the geography community, they would orient all planetary images in a similar construct. North UP, South DOWN.

That's all I have to say about that.

Emily

quote:
Originally posted by lily pad:
You have ten pages on Facebook? Gosh, I thought they only allowed one per person. Did you query them as to why you are not allowed to upload photos anymore? Perhaps they have discovered you have more than one account.

They gave me a second personal page when I exceeded five thousand Friends on the first page. The other pages I have relate to Religion, Science and British Monarchy. I had started pages on ecological living and health, but on dial up, I don't have time to do it all, so I let the others go.

Actually, I just went and looked on your Facebook page and all your links are still there. Were you truly being censored, wouldn't they have removed your links?

No, they don't remove links. They block new photos BUT--but--scuttlebutt is, a lot of people are having trouble right now. And we can't pinpoint either the methods or the sources.

[/QB]
Personally, I trust Chris Hadfield and have no reason not to trust him. His photos from space were truly inspirational. I don't see any influence of Corporate Media in his work - in fact, I see the exact opposite. [/QB]

The influence of corporate control of Chris' images are in the design of his equipment. Focal length is often a GIVEN, at "infinite." Colors are a GIVEN at Red/Green/Blue so that black-light NIGHTSHOT images don't show up. Resolution set at 72 pixels per inch is plain lousy, when in fact, industry standard is 300 ppi, so focus is always compromised; color usually falsified and skew and scaling are where THE PC-NOT-SEES make their changes. I've been doing this a long time, Honey.

Em [Smile]

quote:
Originally posted by anoesis:

There is a great conspiracy afoot, which all institutions and powers are bound up in - only a select few (of which I am one) are able to see the truth - although it is everywhere, all around us, and the rest of the sheeple remain blind wilfully because they are either too stupid to see or too afraid to look. This underlying conspiracy explains everything about everything, and emanates from powers beyond our control, and not of this planet... This was my Dad's basic viewpoint on life.

The REASON conspiracies are going on all the time under our noses is very simple:

corporate statutes that mandate Confidentiality, Need-to-know, Compartmentalization of knowledge, Secret Classifications of Data, and Human Resources' Job Descriptions that eliminate all cross-talk within whole industries.

"Conspiracy" is how the West operates. The civil set of procedures that make up civil "advise and consent" have been abrogated and trash-canned.

Nobody is allowed to know anything who is not in the chain of command for specific data.

So, of course, whatever gets planned ... is secret.

Emily

So what Em ?

quote:
Originally posted by Porridge:
Just a reaction to the thread title, which includes the term "corporate media." ...

Of course, the speed at which the media works results in screw-ups -- sometimes egregious ones. But these are by and large honest mistakes, and these too get reported.

And that's the "truth."

Thank you for your considered reply. However--my contention is that the few rich Elites who OWN THE PRINT & BROADCAST MEDIA >>have set up a process<<< that results in "news without Truth."

It's deliberate, it's a dumbing-down of the [English-speaking] populace, hand-in-glove with the dumbing down of Natural and Health Sciences.

Just sayin'. Emily

References to cite.

Women4Truth 001 Everything Is a Lie
http://youtu.be/EIj35XC5s6I

Noam Chomsky - History of Media
http://youtu.be/-KJXPWVckig

THE WORLD IS WAKING UP - THIS IS WHY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUfOF1mV1l8

Top 20 Lies of the World
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygNiiNKJ3jQ

War and Globalization- Truth Behind September 11
http://youtu.be/h_nAd2QNp80

We don't know the truth: Japan's nuclear disaster
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKl6P40WXSE

*Why Nobody Can Trust The Mainstream Media
http://youtu.be/yMDTLFyifM8

And ?

quote:
Originally posted by Martin PC not & Ship's Biohazard:
So what Em ?

Martin, you always ask a pithy question.

Porridge's case exemplifies the problem.

Owners of the Media (and the Media Companies now only number five or six!) are in a tight consensus about what they want us to know.

They have control--those few men--over the flow of information that we the people [who must plan and vote and adapt to life's quirks] depend on, for our decision-making.

I think we need to level the playing field and increase--by Law--the fragmentation of ownership of print and electronic media.

Too much consolidation results in too much top-down control over innocent, well-meaning souls.

Emily [Smile]

quote:
Originally posted by malik3000:
Other than non-profit operations, the main job of the media (at least in the U.S.) is to reap as big as possible a profit for the owners (almost always large corporations), period, full stop.

In contemporary times, large corporations have indeed taken over most print media. To the detriment of these self-same media, these corps demand larger and faster profits than the news biz ever traditionally produced, so the focus in the last 20 or so years in the news biz has turned from journalistic goals to financial ones.

It's killing journalism.

However, reflect on the fact that news-gathering and disseminating has always been a private for-profit enterprise in this country. When news-gathering and disseminating ceases to be (at least a little) profitable, what then? News-gathering and disseminating stops. Is that desirable?

Alternatively, it could become a governmental function. Works so well in China and North Korea, worked so superbly in the former Soviet Union, keeping the citizens so well-informed of their government's doings. Not.

It could become a not-for-profit enterprise, so that truly talented journalists must embrace a life of near-poverty to remain in the profession. How many will, when they can turn their skills to other, more lucrative activities?

I decided against a career in journalism because the speed and stress and hours didn't agree with me. But it frankly yanks my chain when people gripe about journalism and the profit-motive. Journalism, done well and by the rules, is honest work, and people ought to get paid decent wages for it. If there's nothing wrong with making a profit manufacturing widgets, why is there something wrong with making a profit gathering, organizing, and disseminating information?

Posted by Sioni Sais (# 5713) on :

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by anoesis:

There is a great conspiracy afoot, which all institutions and powers are bound up in - only a select few (of which I am one) are able to see the truth - although it is everywhere, all around us, and the rest of the sheeple remain blind wilfully because they are either too stupid to see or too afraid to look. This underlying conspiracy explains everything about everything, and emanates from powers beyond our control, and not of this planet... This was my Dad's basic viewpoint on life.

The REASON conspiracies are going on all the time under our noses is very simple:

corporate statutes that mandate Confidentiality, Need-to-know, Compartmentalization of knowledge, Secret Classifications of Data, and Human Resources' Job Descriptions that eliminate all cross-talk within whole industries.

"Conspiracy" is how the West operates. The civil set of procedures that make up civil "advise and consent" have been abrogated and trash-canned.

Nobody is allowed to know anything who is not in the chain of command for specific data.

So, of course, whatever gets planned ... is secret.

Emily

Emily,

You seem to be talking as if any of this is new*. My take is that information is more, not less, accessible than before. Naturally, information is based on data, that data is interpreted in a number of ways and thanks to the internet more people spend their leisure time drawing conclusions from data. Even with good data the quality of conclusions nowadays is probably far more variable than it has ever been.

The problem has been that your interpretations of data, or the interpretations you present on this and any number of subjects just don't stack up. The sources of the interpretations are pretty odd and the basis of your world view is a fairy story that makes Genesis 1 look plausible.

*A good example of how restricted the media was in 1936 when the European papers were full of news about the events leading to the abdication of King Edward VIII, which the UK press and the BBC said virtually nothing until December. But you know all about that.

Right on!

I worked and taught for the Department of Communication & Journalism at George Mason University in Fairfax, Virginia, for five years, 1988-1993. I taught Group Communication and Consensus utilizing the Interactive Management method of Dr. John N. Warfield, Professor Emeritus.

Been there, done that, got the tee-shirt.

So, I'm going to proceed now to the problem IN SCIENCE, because my baccalaureate degree (BS) was in Nutrition Education, basically a pre-med course.

The knowledge that gets propagated is what is politically-correct, top-down, all the way to adjunct part-time professors.

When my little baby turned up with PKU at the age of 7 months, I delved into food tables and created a diet for him (never mind the Official formula!) that spared phenylalanine and provided sufficient protein for his needs.

I wrote the diet up as a class project in one class where the professor was a high-ranked member of the Dietary Officialdom. I SAVED MY BOY'S INTELLECT, because PKU results in massive retardation and ungovernable behavior. THAT BOY graduated from West Point and is now a Captain in the USArmy at the age of 27. So, the diet worked.

THAT PROFESSOR, obsessed as she was with dogma and doctrine, gave me a "C grade" on my paper, which was "barely passing," but she awarded "A grades" to other students who were more compliant with her dogma.

"Peer review" shows up with the same sort of impossible lack of vision.

Moreover, and this is what is so humiliating to NASA today, the "scientistic community," as I label dogmatists-in-drag, swallow what comes to them top-down from hierarchy.

NASA swallowed what ETs in the Greada and TauNine Treaties told them about space ... a great deal of which was simply DEAD WRONG.

No, the Moon is NOT 2100 miles in diameter, No, it's not 226K miles out there. No, the sun is no longer in empty black space. No, Nibiru is not merely a speck on a monitor; it fills the sky.

But scientistic dogmatists are still studying their computer star maps instead of making real sky observations IN BLACKLIGHT. Why blacklight? Because Nibiru is a blacklight-reflective planet and its sun, Nemesis, emits blacklight--not whitelight.

Policy, procedure and practice have overwhelmed the art of scientific discovery in our lands.

And that's how it is for me, studying NASA and astronomy images now for ten years.

Emily

quote:
Porridge's case exemplifies the problem.

Not exactly. My "case" was to demonstrate the sheer impracticality of your conspiracy theory.

quote:
Owners of the Media (and the Media Companies now only number five or six!) are in a tight consensus about what they want us to know.

While you're right about the shrinking number of corporate owners, and the deleterious effects this is having on journalism, the apparent 'consensus' you think you're seeing is accidental; it's due to the fact that those in the media business know what sells "news." The "consensus" is among the consumers, not the owners. These corporations are competing against each other for the largest market share (and hence bigger profits), not conspiring with one another.

QUOTE]Originally posted by Emily Windsor-Cragg:
I think we need to level the playing field and increase--by Law--the fragmentation of ownership of print and electronic media.

Too much consolidation results in too much top-down control over innocent, well-meaning souls.

Emily [Smile]
[/QUOTE]

In other words, the U.S. needs to undo the Telecommunications Act of 1996. I personally think this is an excellent idea, but how precisely could this be implemented?

I doubt either Congress (and certainly not those who elected them) understood what they were doing when they passed this.

quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
Emily, ... Even with good data the quality of conclusions nowadays is probably far more variable than it has ever been. ...

Your opinion is noted. [Smile]
[QB}
*A good example of how restricted the media was in 1936 when the European papers were full of news about the events leading to the abdication of King Edward VIII, which the UK press and the BBC said virtually nothing until December. But you know all about that. [/QB]

The "events leading to the abdication of King Edward VIII" had nothing to do with the outcome.

The story is that of a Father who could not convey to his son, the Role and Function of KING [for personal reasons], so he cooked up a scheme to prevent the son from marrying until he could find a completely "inappropriate" mate--and hang his son on that matrimony. George fixed Edward UP WITH WALLIS, through Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon's coterie of acquaintances. Wallis was MI-5 who worked for George during WWI, knew Hitler personally. So, what got into the papers had nothing to do with the reality of the situation. ... Edward only figured it out when the Buck House switchboard REFUSED HIS CALLS ever after, at the behest of the Queen Mother.

And THAT is the Truth.

Emily

Posted by Doublethink (# 1984) on :

Would you all please a) code correctly & b) use bold and italics for emphasis rather than capitalisation.

The UBB thread in styx is available for practice if needed.

Doublethink
Purgatory Host

[ 08. June 2013, 17:36: Message edited by: Doublethink ]

Reality is classified Em. Always has been. So ? Ignore it and do something useful. Something kind. Something cooperative. Evil should be ignored, worked around and sympathized with when we have the time.

Since my stint as "group facilitator" in the COMM-Journalism Dept of GMU ...

and since I retired in 2005 ...

my personal job is to figure out, for myself, what is true and what is not true ... info and data that we the people are spoon-fed by our leadership.

I have become extremely cynical about our leaders due to their proclivity for perfidy, obfuscation and perjury.

And that's just how it is for me.

I also publish books of crochet patterns for women in the 3rd world who want to create a cottage industry and save their families from starvation.

I participate in local consensus about the denigration of civil rights, the deterioration of common law, and the abrogation of accountability by our national leaders.

I am condemned to a "List" for my activities; but I figure, since I'm an old crone anyway, I don't have anything to lose by doing what I do.

Thanks for listening.

Emily

quote:
No, the Moon is NOT 2100 miles in diameter, No, it's not 226K miles out there.

Those values are consistent with the appearance of the moon in the sky - your values are not.

Why should anyone believe you over the evidence of their own eyes?

quote:

I worked and taught for the Department of Communication & Journalism at George Mason University in Fairfax, Virginia, for five years, 1988-1993. Emily

Did you? Interestingly, GMU's current website shows that it offers degrees in Communications, but has no journalism program.

Posted by L'organist (# 17338) on :

quote:
posted by Emily Windsor-Cragg
The story is that of a Father who could not convey to his son, the Role and Function of KING [for personal reasons], so he cooked up a scheme to prevent the son from marrying until he could find a completely "inappropriate" mate--and hang his son on that matrimony. George fixed Edward UP WITH WALLIS, through Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon's coterie of acquaintances. Wallis was MI-5 who worked for George during WWI, knew Hitler personally. So, what got into the papers had nothing to do with the reality of the situation. ... Edward only figured it out when the Buck House switchboard REFUSED HIS CALLS ever after, at the behest of the Queen Mother.

And THAT is the Truth.

Emily: are you by any chance related to the " Emily Elizabeth Catherine Josephine Mary Windsor-Cragg, [illegitimate] daughter of Edward VIII Duke of Windsor " who has been quoted by a Benjamin Fulford as claiming that Adolph Hitler was an illegitimate son of George V and, thus, a half-brother to George VI?

Of course, if you ARE that same EECJMW-C then you will be aware of the links of your half-brother to the Sovereign Order of the Knights of Malta and also, through him, to the shadowy world of Italian freemasonry and P2. What can you tell us about the cover-up of the death of Roberto Calvi - I'm sure you and the bro must have discussed it. Especially since he had such close links to the USA himself even after inheriting his title.

On the other hand, perhaps it is a different Windsor-Cragg scion with whom you share a christian name?

Just wondering...

By the way Emily, Magna Carta (1215, actually, not 1200) had bugger all to do with speech, free or otherwise.

MC is frequently misinterpreted as being about protecting the rights of the "little people" from the powerful: that is utter bullshit, the Charter was more about preventing the king (John) from taking away some of the powers and privileges of the norman aristocracy. Yes, it guaranteed that freemen (not serfs) had protection under the law, but that was a re-statement of an earlier charter from the time of Henry I.

What the barons really had against John was that his disputes in France meant that many of them had lost the valuable estates that they had held in France. Previously he had been responsible for widespread reform of the common law of England and was not in fact a bad king, but the most powerful landowners (not all barons - the charter was signed by many bishops and abbots) resented the money that they saw as wasted in wars in France.

Magna Carta was not the great success that people assume: it led directly to civil war and rebellion since neither John nor the barony kept to its conditions and terms.

And nowhere does Magna Carta mention freedom of speech or freedom from censorship.

quote:
And ?

I like the way you prod me ... to think.

Perhaps at the level of Angels and God, what they're doing is sifting and sorting among the people.

There are people who don't know what is true, who don't care. This is what sheeple do.

There are people who care about what's true, who have no access to it, so they're frustrated. This is what conspiracy theorists do.

There are people who do know what is true, but they don't care. This is what our leaders do.

And there are people who do know what is true and what is false because they did the homework, and they've chosen to share what they know with others. This is what prophets do.

And I figure, God and His Angels can look at the human aura and SEE what a soul is ABOUT so that soul can be judged and placed in an appropriate setting in the future.

That's my belief about the function and reason for Judgment Day ... to sort humans into herds for further management decisions.

Emily [Smile]

quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
By the way Emily, Magna Carta (1215, actually, not 1200) had bugger all to do with speech, free or otherwise. ...

Magna Carta was not the great success that people assume: it led directly to civil war and rebellion since neither John nor the barony kept to its conditions and terms.

And nowhere does Magna Carta mention freedom of speech or freedom from censorship.

You got me! I didn't have all my facts straight!

I'm shot through the heart!!

[Eek!] [Ultra confused] [Help] [Tear]

[ 09. June 2013, 01:25: Message edited by: Emily Windsor-Cragg ]

Posted by Leorning Cniht (# 17564) on :

quote:
Resolution set at 72 pixels per inch is plain lousy, when in fact, industry standard is 300 ppi, so focus is always compromised; color usually falsified and skew and scaling are where THE PC-NOT-SEES make their changes. I've been doing this a long time, Honey.

Emily:

You claim to be an expert in digital image processing, so I'm surprised that you don't know that this is nonsense.

A digital image just has pixels. DPI has nothing to do with the resolution of the digital image - it has to do with how the image is rendered.

The relevant quantities for digital resolution are the image width, in pixels, and the angular acceptance of the camera, in milliradians. Or, equivalently, by the pixel density on the sensor and the focal length of the lens.

72 pixels per inch is a standard assumption for the resolution of a computer monitor. Whether that assumption comes from Apple or from XEROX PARC, I can't tell you, but it does make one pixel equal to one point (no, I'm not going to digress into the history of the point), which makes text rendering calculations easier for the normal case.

300 DPI is the print resolution of a typical commercial photo printer - for example, the ubiquitous Fuji Frontier (so if you're printing 6x4 photos, you may as well rescale your image to 1800x1200 pixels, because the printer isn't going to make more dots than that on the paper).

But this is irrelevant - you're looking at digital images, not prints, so you just care about the number of pixels and the field of view.

[Overused] Martin, Anoesis, and Rowen.

quote:
Originally posted by Porridge:
quote:

I worked and taught for the Department of Communication & Journalism at George Mason University in Fairfax, Virginia, for five years, 1988-1993. Emily

Did you? Interestingly, GMU's current website shows that it offers degrees in Communications, but has no journalism program.
They're in the same department. "Communication" is just the current umbrella term.

I have no knowledge of whether or not she worked there. But your post raised a red flag for me, because the two fields are often bundled together. So I checked.

[Angel]

Posted by balaam (# 4543) on :

Bear with me, I'll eventually get to a point of some sort.

My uncle was a great man
I know he was, he told me so himself.

So starts(from memory) a poem by Spike Milligan. The humour in those words comes from making a circular argument obvious. You cannot be expected to believe something about someone just because that person said it themselves, you need an outside independent source. That way what a person says about themself can be corroborated.

There is a big problem here. What you are saying, Emily, is that the proof you have is in web pages you put up yourself. Circular argument, sorry, I cannot believe it. Where is the independent evidence? Before you say it, "the independent evidennce is taken down" is not a valid argument, if it was you site would have been removed.

Over to you.

Posted by Barnabas62 (# 9110) on :

Think I'm going to take a different tack.

Emily, what do you think are the causes of self-deception?

Posted by Ariel (# 58) on :

quote:
Resolution set at 72 pixels per inch is plain lousy, when in fact, industry standard is 300 ppi, so focus is always compromised; color usually falsified and skew and scaling are where THE PC-NOT-SEES make their changes.

No professional photographer who values their photos is likely to actually shoot at 72 dpi. They would go for 300+ dpi and use RAW format with a view to conversion.

72 dpi is kept mainly for photos that are to be uploaded to the internet. This is because bandwidth and file size are both very much slower when trying to handle a 20 MB jpg of 300 dpi generated from a RAW file, than for a 160 KB smaller jpg that is a low-res version of the same.

Very few people are likely to put the huge hi-res versions of their photos online, unless they are in zip format, or the people don't know much about web design or don't care about their audience.

Consequently you are almost always very likely to get inferior pictures on the internet which are not print quality and do not have the focus and clarity that you would want (they also need to be saved as sRGB to retain the profiles and display consistently on a variety of different browsers anyhow, and sRGB will inevitably be at odds with the CMYK profile needed for the print-quality versions).

You say that industry standard is 300 dpi, not for web work it isn't. It is for printing - it used to be 600 but that has come down now. But we aren't talking about printing here, we're talking about the images displayed on the internet, which for practical considerations do not need to be 300 dpi - and shouldn't. It would make browsing incredibly slow.

So there is no point in trying to work with these low-res versions as they will usually not have clarity, high resolution detail or consistent colour profiles to start with.

[ 09. June 2013, 07:26: Message edited by: Ariel ]

Posted by Palimpsest (# 16772) on :

You make claim about global perfect conspiracies and your own unique special expertise which leads to conclusions that no one else can verify makes me not accept any of your statements.
You also make many claims in many subjects, all equally dubious.
After the first few statements you've made I just ignore your postings.

If you think NASA is fudging data on the size of the Moon and Mars, go build your own telescope with a image sensor. It's a high school science project level effort. Then you can get some correct data and write it up as a verifiable science experiment.

You can't un-fudge data that has been tampered with. You're just painting what you want to see and as others have pointed out here, your use of the imaging terminology is strange in a way that does not make your statements credible.

THE management decision is love. NOW. Then will take care of itself.

Posted by Lothiriel (# 15561) on :

quote:

When my little baby turned up with PKU at the age of 7 months, I delved into food tables and created a diet for him (never mind the Official formula!) that spared phenylalanine and provided sufficient protein for his needs.

I wrote the diet up as a class project in one class where the professor was a high-ranked member of the Dietary Officialdom. I SAVED MY BOY'S INTELLECT, because PKU results in massive retardation and ungovernable behavior. THAT BOY graduated from West Point and is now a Captain in the USArmy at the age of 27. So, the diet worked.

THAT PROFESSOR, obsessed as she was with dogma and doctrine, gave me a "C grade" on my paper, which was "barely passing," but she awarded "A grades" to other students who were more compliant with her dogma.

There's always the possibility that the paper was not written well enough to merit an "A", despite the apparent success of the diet itself. You weren't being graded on saving your son, but on how you presented your work.

Posted by HCH (# 14313) on :

I've looked at quite a bit of this thread, and I can't make much sense out of it.

I will add one observation: Plenty of what we know about Mars predates the existence of NASA and has been verified many times by many different observers. In particular, Mars does not have much atmosphere, and it should not have a blue sky. The color of the sky on Earth depends in large part on the thickness of the atmosphere. Mars should have a sky which is nearly black.

A second observation: Just about any picture you find online taken from the Hubble telescope (or a good many other sources) may well have been color-altered simply so it will be something we poor inadequate humans can see with our one-octave visible light range.

What about your cousin?

Emily--

If I may ask, what got you started on this path? You mentioned, on another thread IIRC, that you've been working on this since 2003. Did you have an experience or light-bulb moment that nudged you in this direction?

And why the particular emphasis on astronomy? As opposed to, say, corporate poisoning of the environment, inequities in health care, and government corruption?

Thanks.

Correct Em. It's 239,000 miles. As any smart 10 year old can follow. I mean, it's forgivable that the ancient Greeks were 8,000 miles out. Which ejits were 13,000 miles out the other way?

quote:
Correct Em. It's 239,000 miles. As any smart 10 year old can follow. I mean, it's forgivable that the ancient Greeks were 8,000 miles out. Which ejits were 13,000 miles out the other way?

The distance from the earth to the moon is not constant; according to NASA, the mean perigee of the moon's orbit (the average distance at closest approach) is 363,300 km or 226,800 miles, but over the course of a year the earth-moon distance can vary from about 223000 mi to 254000 mi.

Of course, this has nothing to do with EW being "correct" - she thinks that the moon is only 50,000 miles away.

Posted by Galloping Granny (# 13814) on :

I guess Emily came to the ship looking for some intelligent, educated, open-minded people to share her studies with; and that's exactly what she found.

GG

PS Don't the Illuminati come into all this somewhere?

Posted by ken (# 2460) on :

5,000 rather than 50,000 if it is really only 20 miles across.

That's less than the radius of the Earth so the Moon would be invisibly low in the sky quite often. Her hypothesis ought to be testable by making observations over a few nights with a couple of sticks and a watch.

And if it was true then either orbital mechanics is wrong (which would mean secondary school physics was wrong) or else the gravitational constant (G) and/or the mass of the earth (M) isn't what it says in the textbooks. Which, come to think of it, also means secondary school physics is wrong. And you can test that with a pendulum. And very helpfully there are quite a few Foucault's pendulums in public museums. If the period of one of them is what the textbook equations say it should be then we know what the acceleration due to gravity (g) is locally, and that gives you the ratio between the gravitational constant and the mass of the earth and from that you can work out the orbital period of a relatively small satellite at any given distance. And we know how long the Moon takes to go round the earth because we can see it. So, if it was only 20 miles across, we can work out how far away it has to be to take that long to orbit. And the sums aren't even hard.

And if we know how far away it is we can work out how big it is just by looking at it and measuring how wide it seems to be at, say, arms length, and multiplying.

Come on Emily, do the experiment! I dare you!

You can work out roughly how far away the moon is, and therefore roughly how big it is with a trip to a museum, a watch, a tape measure, and some high-school phsyics and grade-school arithmetic. Do the sums! You don't have to believe NASA or even look though a telescope. No cameras involved. You can see it with your own eyes.

quote:
Originally posted by ken:
5,000 rather than 50,000 if it is really only 20 miles across.

That's less than the radius of the Earth so the Moon would be invisibly low in the sky quite often. Her hypothesis ought to be testable by making observations over a few nights with a couple of sticks and a watch.

And if it was true then either orbital mechanics is wrong (which would mean secondary school physics was wrong) or else the gravitational constant (G) and/or the mass of the earth (M) isn't what it says in the textbooks. Which, come to think of it, also means secondary school physics is wrong. And you can test that with a pendulum. And very helpfully there are quite a few Foucault's pendulums in public museums. If the period of one of them is what the textbook equations say it should be then we know what the acceleration due to gravity (g) is locally, and that gives you the ratio between the gravitational constant and the mass of the earth and from that you can work out the orbital period of a relatively small satellite at any given distance. And we know how long the Moon takes to go round the earth because we can see it. So, if it was only 20 miles across, we can work out how far away it has to be to take that long to orbit. And the sums aren't even hard.

And if we know how far away it is we can work out how big it is just by looking at it and measuring how wide it seems to be at, say, arms length, and multiplying.

Come on Emily, do the experiment! I dare you!

You can work out roughly how far away the moon is, and therefore roughly how big it is with a trip to a museum, a watch, a tape measure, and some high-school phsyics and grade-school arithmetic. Do the sums! You don't have to believe NASA or even look though a telescope. No cameras involved. You can see it with your own eyes.

You can show her numbers (10.8 mi diameter, 50,000 mi distance) are wrong even without the museum, watch, and physics - explanation here, observation report here.

And you don't need to know either the universal gravitational constant G or the mass of the earth to get the period of a 50,000 mi orbit - just knowing that gravity is 9.8 m/s^2 at the surface and the radius of the earth gives the period of a grazing orbit, and Kepler's 3rd law then tells you what it would be at 50,000 mi (2.8 days, as it happens.)

Thanks, Dave W. It seemed to me you did a very good job with the visual evidence the first time.

But Emily is clearly unconvinced.

As a side issue, I remember discussing a distressing situation with a member of the Eating Disoders Association re anorexia. A good friend was in agony over the life-threatening behaviour of one of her children and I was trying to understand what her daughter saw when she looked in the mirror. The EDA counsellor said something at the time which has stayed with me. "Anorexics seem to see what they want to see, I'm afraid, and just can't see what we can see. That's what makes helping them such a perplexing issue".

Posted by fletcher christian (# 13919) on :

I hate to say this, but I think Emily is right on one thing - namely the tinting of Mars pics. I can't recall where I read it, but it was in a mag, and not a nutty mag either. It was an interview with someone who worked on the Rover project and they talked about the tinting of the pictures. there were a few complicated reasons to do with light that I didn't understand, but the essence of it was that people expected Mars to be red and a lot of the pictures were 'red' but also with a lot of very dull grey - so they stuck in a tint.

Posted by Hawk (# 14289) on :

I don't know the science myself but reading a few articles tells me the processing of mars pictures to show 'true colour' is fraught with difficulties, even impossible with some images. To show the public what Mars would look like to a person standing on the surface necessarily requires some form of image manipulation simply because the cameras don't take 'true-colour' pictures. Sometimes this manipulation is more accurate than others.

This is because the scientific cameras used in space don't shoot pictures that represent colour, but just greyscale, using multiple colour filters and then using the data to create an artificial colour image that fits the greyscale data as accurately as possible. But this is fraught with problems of interpretation. This Bad Astronomy page seems to give a good overview of the problems.

Unfortunately amateurs who don't understand how the pictures were taken or processed, and don't understand the intricacies of space photography can easily misinterpret what they see. This page gives a quick explanation of one trick pseudo-scientists use when trying to invent buildings on Mars.

Quite an interesting subject. And I can understand a bit better now how some people get fooled by this process into seeing things that aren't really there.

Posted by Gwai (# 11076) on :

It sounds like from this that Mars isn't as red as it looks, but that's not because NASA is playing silly buggers.

[crossposted with a more detailed post, alas]

[ 10. June 2013, 13:39: Message edited by: Gwai ]

Then we're both right Dave W.

Posted by Eutychus (# 3081) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Hawk:
This Bad Astronomy page seems to give a good overview of the problems.

There goes my awe at seeing the Mars sky as blue. [Waterworks]

And it nicely summarises my problem with this thread. I think Emily's explanations are fruitcakey, but in terms of being properly able to interpret the media, she has a point.

Managing to pick up on that part - and only that part - of what everybody (or almost) says that is sense despite running contrary to accepted wisdom is a real challenge (but a good one for the truly unrestful).

Re: seeing things differently than the common version--

I've been thinking about this lately. ("Oh, noes!" [Biased] ) When someone differs from the consensus view of reality, when they think There's Something Going On That Most People Don't Know, they're considered crazy.

Sometimes, that might be true. But IMHO it's more complicated than that. ISTM many/most narratives of Life, the Universe, and Everything are based on the idea that this is what's going on, and everyone else is wrong. Politics, economics, science, religion, why the vending machine happily feeds everyone else but always jams when you are desperate for a Mars bar.

Christianity, for example. Epic battle between Good and Evil, involving unseen forces. That battle taking place inside us, and throughout Creation. Lots about "the world does this or that, but God/Christ...". Be in the World, not of it. Walk the narrow way, not the wide one that's clogged with everyone else. Believe that God exists; created everything; was heart-broken when Things Went Wrong; worked through a particular group of people to get to the point of becoming a human being (specifically male) through a virgin mother; gathered a rag-tag group of buddies, as well as mockers and frienemies; taught truths that weren't readily accepted; did miracles; walked on water; was crucified "for us and our salvation" to save us from a real, literal hell;, died;, was buried; paid a visit to the waiting dead*; was resurrected from the dead (!); hung out with his buddies, including walking with them incognito (probably trying very hard not to crack up with laughter!); physically and visibly ascended to Heaven; helps us from there; and is going to come back some day.**

Consensus view of reality--not.

Believing differently from the rest of the world isn't necessarily bad. Depends on what you believe, how you hold that belief, what you do with it, whether it makes you more compassionate or less, and whether or not it helps you really live.

*In Mike Warnke's words, Jesus strode up to Satan and said, "Hand over them keys, turkey!" [Snigger]

**Bumper sticker: "Jesus is coming. Look busy!" [Biased]

Except I don't think beleiving a worldview shared by over 2 billion other people, for over 2 thousand years, can be considered seeing things differently from the consensus.

Posted by deano (# 12063) on :

Personally I think Emily is right on the money! Surely you can all see that the Bilderberg Group is behind the conspiracy!

I think WE should BE Told!!!!!

quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink:
Would you all please a) code correctly & b) use bold and italics for emphasis rather than capitalisation.

The UBB thread in styx is available for practice if needed.

Doublethink
Purgatory Host

Host Hat On

Let me reinforce Doublethink's earlier Host post.

deano, this means you, too. Whether you were joking or not. Ignoring a Host post takes you into Commandment 6 territory and brings you to the attention of Admin.

Barnabas62
Purgatory Host

Host Hat off

[ 11. June 2013, 08:48: Message edited by: Barnabas62 ]

quote:
Except I don't think beleiving a worldview shared by over 2 billion other people, for over 2 thousand years, can be considered seeing things differently from the consensus.

By definition, "consensus" means what most everyone believes. TTBOMK, most people since Jesus haven't been Christians. And, given that we've got something like 7 billion people in the world right now, your figure of 2 billion over 2,000 years is nowhere near a consensus.

quote:
quote:

By definition, "consensus" means what most everyone believes. TTBOMK, most people since Jesus haven't been Christians. And, given that we've got something like 7 billion people in the world right now, your figure of 2 billion over 2,000 years is nowhere near a consensus.
Worldviews are mostly geographically concentrated though. In the west orthodox Christianity was the consensus for most communities. In many communities (i.e the Bible Belt) it still is the consensus.

You need to take into account the insularity of the communities in question.

[ 11. June 2013, 11:45: Message edited by: Hawk ]

Posted by HCH (# 14313) on :

I think the word "consensus" is sometimes used in the sense of "generally accepted" (as in "reach a consensus"), not simply "accepted by a majority". It may be too restrictive a meaning to be useful.

Posted by North East Quine (# 13049) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Lothiriel:
quote:

There's always the possibility that the paper was not written well enough to merit an "A", despite the apparent success of the diet itself. You weren't being graded on saving your son, but on how you presented your work.
Also, the Guthrie heel-prick test for PKU has been routine in UK medical practice for over 27 years, and PKU retardation has been pretty much non-existent since then, hasn't it? Is it different in America? What did your diet do that the standard diet following a positive Guthrie test didn't do?

@ North East Quine

Since EWC's child in question is now 27 and that PKU heel-prick testing has been carried out in most of the US since the 1970s, it can only be either that the child was one of the very tiny handful who give a false negative result to the heel-prick test, or who are borderline and go on to develop the condition in the first months of life: both very rare but not unknown.

In the UK health visitors are meant to keep an eye out for this when they see children in clinics.

Given that the thread title shows a concern for what is true, I may not be the only one here who would be grateful for some clarification on that point.

© Ship of Fools 2016