Thread: Chester Meet - August 2013 Board: Oblivion / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=70;t=025512

Posted by Nunc Dimittis (# 848) on :

As discussed on the Nunc's Big Adventure thread, consensus formed around Chester as the location for a meet, sometime in August.

Preferred dates? Kingsfold suggested a weekend...

And where to meet? Someone will have to give me specific instructions; I feel somewhat nervous about making my way in completely unknown territory to a random address...

Posted by Welease Woderwick (# 10424) on :

Worry not Nunc, Central Chester is remarkably compact and easy to navigate on foot. I wish I could be with you but I will have been and gone from UK long before you get there.

Posted by Nicodemia (# 4756) on :

I might be able to make Chester. Any date in August OK for me.

Posted by kingsfold (# 1726) on :

I'm in Chester the weekend of 9/10/11 August. It's a choir trip, so some of this will be taken up with rehearsals & services.

From the provisional timetable, it looks like I'm free for a proportion of Saturday up until mid-afternoon, and probably again later in the evening. So my preference would be for a daytime meet. And if anybody felt so inclined, they could pop along to the Cathedral for evensong...

Posted by Japes (# 5358) on :

Most of August is good for me, apart from the 1st.

Posted by Angloid (# 159) on :

Any Saturday except the 31st. So far.

Posted by QLib (# 43) on :

Provided it's organised well in advance (need to book time off w*rk), I'm fairly free on most August weekdays, though not all Tuesdays and Thursdays. Can do most weekends, but not Friday 9th. Saturday 10th possible but a bit difficult and probably wouldn't fit with Kingsfold's availability

Posted by St. Gwladys (# 14504) on :

We're away the last weekend of August

Posted by Peter Owen (# 134) on :

Any day in August except the 2nd (at present).

I suspect that since I'm fairly tight on available time in Chester, it might be wise for the you to plan something that works for the majority of the rest of you. If it works out to be the weekend I'm around, that's a bonus for me.

I'm still OK for almost all of August, barring 1st and 25th. 2nd - 17th is best.

Sunday 4th and Saturday 31st are out for me; so far most other days OK.

Those of us travelling by train from Liverpool would prefer to avoid 10/11 August so as to avoid the dreaded rail replacement bus service between Liverpool and Birkenhead.

Posted by SyNoddy (# 17009) on :

If you went a month earlier you could catch the Chester Mystery Plays (late June to July 13th)staged in the nave of Chester cathedral and condensed into a single drama so no need to try to catch a series of productions. Caught a smidgen of last Sunday's rehearsal and it sounds good.

quote:
Originally posted by Peter Owen:
Those of us travelling by train from Liverpool would prefer to avoid 10/11 August so as to avoid the dreaded rail replacement bus service between Liverpool and Birkenhead.

Thanks for the warning, Peter! Actually there are no trains on the Liverpool Loop during some dates either, but I'm not sure what they are... and I can walk to James Street.

What do folk think about the Saturday (24th) of the Bank Hol weekend? I assume most people can't do Sundays (the trains are rubbish then anyway) and I'm guessing you won't know your mid-week availability, Nunc, till much nearer the time.

Fine by me! (Merseyrail should be back to normal by then too)

Saturday 24 August is fine for me.

Ah - I realise the whole of that weekend is now out for me, unless something changes on the Saturday. Go for 24th if it suits more people, though.

Posted by Avila (# 15541) on :

Unless something else jumps in I hope to be able to come on 24th.

I believe there's an artisan market in Chester on that day - anybody know about that? Would we aim for lunchtime?

However, all this may be a bit premature, if Nunc isn't sure about her availability.

Nunc?

HI folks,

my duties at the library mean I need to be there from about 4-5pm each weekday evening, and from 2pm on Sat/Sun.

So a Saturday morning would work well.

I can also do midweek quite easily, as my time will be flexible during the day. I will get one night off during the week, which I guess would mean the day either side of it would give greater flexibility too... But I won't know that until I get there.

Getting excited now! If I hadn't been sick this week, I would've been out getting hiking boots... [Smile] So I can walk in the hills.

Good news! However, you're too far away - and the weekend service is currently too bad for a Saturday or Sunday morning to be viable for me. I'll try to fix up a weekday sometime - just waiting for a big meeting with an exam board rep to be finalised.

Ok folks. I'm here at the Library, on duty as of tomorrow.

It'd be good to lock in a date.

Posted by St Everild (# 3626) on :

I'm going to be in Chester all day on Saturday 10th...if you fancy meeting for a coffee in the morning I'd be up for that?

(There is a cat show at the Northgate Arena on that date and I have entered one of the furries in it - have to get out of the show hall during the morning...)

I can't make the 10th but don't let that put anybody off. Also that weekend is difficult for anybody coming by train from/via Liverpool because of engineering works.

Anybody fancy lunch on Wednesday 7th or Friday 23rd?

OK - not the 7th, then, And I'm not now sure of my availability on the 23rd. Weekends are out for me, because engineering works make the journey ridiculous. Might manage an alternaitve midweek day, if anyone else is interested, but w*rk commitments are starting to crowd in. [Frown]

quote:
posted by St Everild:
I'm going to be in Chester all day on Saturday 10th...if you fancy meeting for a coffee in the morning I'd be up for that?

I'll be in town and would be happy to meet for coffee - I don't have to be anywhere until mid afternoon.

quote:
Originally posted by QLib:
OK - not the 7th, then, And I'm not now sure of my availability on the 23rd. Weekends are out for me, because engineering works make the journey ridiculous. Might manage an alternaitve midweek day, if anyone else is interested, but w*rk commitments are starting to crowd in. [Frown]

If you are referring to Merseyrail engineering works, there are none planned after 11 August.

I'll wait and see if Nunc suggests any other dates, but as I said earlier I can't do 10th.

Nunc? Calling Nunc....

Hi folks, sorry - got busy and distracted! Sorry QLib, I was hoping to catch up with you... if you suggest a day, coming into Chester is no hardship to me.

Saturday 10th is good. Where do you want to meet?

As it seems that the three of us who might be available for a meet on Saturday are all from out of town, where do shippies who know the town suggest?

I've been into Chester and had a wander... probably the easiest place to meet would be Chester Cathedral - outside the entrance.

I'm wondering whether afterall we change the date to the 24th - just because it's a bit late to be organising this for tomorrow?

I'm not able to be with you on 24th...and I'm not sure about Kingsfold, who is without Internet access at the moment.

I have texted Kingsfold and said that Mr StEverild and I will be under the clock on Eastgate Street at 10.30 tomorrow morning...judging from the photographs it would be hard to miss it as it goes right across the street. I shall be wearing a purple jacket...
If no one else comes, we shall go for a coffee and we shall just have to talk to each other.

Alrighty. I will see you at 10:30 under the clock on Eastgate St.

We met! We talked! We drank coffee, and jasmine tea, and chilli chai, and something else but I can't remember what...

Great to meet you both and put faces to names.

Ditto! It was great to meet kingsfold, St Everild and Mr Everild!

Great company, great conversation, great tea.

Sorry not to come back to this thread sooner. It's been one of those weeks..

Anyhow, it was good to meet Nunc, St Everild & Mr St Everild, and lots of conversation was had. Thank you.

And I had great fun explaining to a fellow chorister that I had had coffee/tea with a bunch of mad axe murderers from the internet... [Angel]

© Ship of Fools 2016