Thread: Host & Admin Day HAS FINISHED Board: Oblivion / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=70;t=025573

Posted by Spike (# 36) on :

We have two days until Lent, so the hosts & admins are having a period of fun and madness. It's H&A Carnival - anything could change whilst the hosts and admin people enjoy themselves by moving things in random ways for a while. Check the Styx each day for a notice on when things are back to normal!

[ 13. February 2013, 11:06: Message edited by: Marvin the Martian ]

Posted by Kelly Alves (# 2522) on :

I need an H or A volunteer.

[ 11. February 2013, 06:47: Message buggered about with by: Kelly Alves ]

Posted by Patdys (# 9397) on :

I would assume that is an euphemism.

(Sorry, wrong time zone btw)

[Angel]

Posted by lowlands_boy (# 12497) on :

It's rather unfortunate that that important chap in Rome has chosen now to announce his resignation. Now lots of new visitors might come reading the boards and completely misconstrue posts like

"I'm glad that the **** has resigned"

Posted by Horatio Harumph (# 10855) on :

does this mean we are able to change our names, and if so can someone remind me how to please? thanks x

Posted by Marvin the Martian (# 4360) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Horatio Harumph:
does this mean we are able to change our names, and if so can someone remind me how to please? thanks x

Haha, no. This is our festival, not yours! [Snigger]

quote:
Originally posted by lowlands_boy:
It's rather unfortunate that that important chap in Rome has chosen now to announce his resignation. Now lots of new visitors might come reading the boards and completely misconstrue posts like

Well, he should have thought of that before announcing his resignation.

Posted by AberVicar (# 16451) on :

quote:
Originally posted by lowlands_boy:

Rubbish - they might have a good time instead!

Posted by Horatio Harumph (# 10855) on :

Ahh Marvin, fair enough ...enjoy! [Smile]

Good luck cleaning all this crap up.
Or do you just close the boards, bring in the new software and start from scratch? [Razz]

Posted by Ariston (# 10894) on :

Given the current War on Hull, that may not be a bad idea.

And comrades, there are two, and only two, sides in this war; it is a war between good and Hull, between the Velodrome and utter, depraved evil. Join us, the mighty of the Velodrome, as we crush the den of inequity that is Hull once and for all.

Ariston, it would be better to burn than continually turn...

Posted by comet (# 10353) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Ariston:
utter, depraved evil.

flatterer!

Posted by Chorister (# 473) on :

There, I told you they'd all go to pot as soon as I left. [Roll Eyes]

Posted by Firenze (# 619) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Chorister:
There, I told you they'd all go to pot as soon as I left.

Wasn't so much the pot as the crack.

I see plenty of craic, for sure.

Posted by kingsfold (# 1726) on :

Thank you all.

I've had a bit more time around the place than usual over the past couple of days, and I've rather enjoyed the mayhem.
[Big Grin]

Posted by Golden Key (# 1468) on :

Dear H/As:

Thank you so much for doing this! I've been wanting another such day for a long time. When I saw, in the middle of the night here, before anything was announced, that the Hell thread titles had mostly gone generic, I thought the game might be afoot!
[Cool]

All praise and thanks to all who run, run, and/or maintain the Ship!
[Overused]

Posted by Vulpior (# 12744) on :

It's been great fun. It's very difficult to share a sense of it with Mr Vulpior; normally I can say, "In a thread about x, someone said this which was funny/witty/incisive," but saying, "It's all gone crazy and here's some of it," doesn't work so well!

The green warning across the top of the home page is just the right level of advice, too, thinking back to previous discussions. Good call.

You all deserve lots of chocolate; after Lent, of course.

Posted by Boogie (# 13538) on :

Now folks will wonder why such words as 'C@n0n L@w' have been used in otherwise serious posts.

[Big Grin]

quote:
Originally posted by Vulpior:
The green warning across the top of the home page is just the right level of advice, too, thinking back to previous discussions. Good call.

You're welcome [Smile]

And with that:

H&A DAY IS NOW OFFICIALLY OVER

Everything will be back to normal shortly. We hope you enjoyed the festival.

Posted by claret10 (# 16341) on :

Thank you, it's been a very distracting and entertaining couple of days [Killing me]

Keep up the good work

Incidentally, if anyone spots something we forgot to change back to normal please do let us know so that we can claim it was deliberate.

Posted by The Midge (# 2398) on :

quote:
Trillian: Probability factor of one to one. We have normality. I repeat, we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem.

Posted by tclune (# 7959) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
Incidentally, if anyone spots something we forgot to change back to normal please do let us know so that we can claim it was deliberate.

Well, I'm still a p***, but that may well be a conscious decision of the powers that be...

--Tom Clune

Posted by Mrs Shrew (# 8635) on :

The decluttering thread is still mistitled "hoarders"...

quote:
Originally posted by tclune:
Well, I'm still a p***, but that may well be a conscious decision of the powers that be...

I haven't changed any of the titles back yet. See the thread for why.

Posted by the giant cheeseburger (# 10942) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:

I do appreciate the commitment to debate the topic of My Little Pony in a serious manner. [Big Grin]

Posted by A.Pilgrim (# 15044) on :

The GIN thread in Eccles ended up being entertaining and informative. Could it perhaps be moved to the appropriate board for its subject matter (Heaven? Though I'm probably not a good judge of that) and re-opened, please?

Posted by JoannaP (# 4493) on :

Not all of the All Saints thread titles have ben changed back, so we still have "I ain't got nobody...", "Just shut the hell up already" and "People who stockpile their PM's so they can get loads of frantic pleas to purge".

Posted by seasick (# 48) on :

quote:
Originally posted by A.Pilgrim:
The GIN thread in Eccles ended up being entertaining and informative. Could it perhaps be moved to the appropriate board for its subject matter (Heaven? Though I'm probably not a good judge of that) and re-opened, please?

Go on then, as I'm feeling generous and love GIN. [Smile]

Posted by Gee D (# 13815) on :

Just a small request. On one of the threads, Enoch said that as it was now Wednesday, the fun and games would be over. The trouble is that here and in NZ, it was by then Thursday. In other words, the party day had included our Ash Wednesday. Could future days be organised to avoid clashes like this please?

We deliberately kept going until the end of Shrove Tuesday in the USA, so that our American friends could have all the benefit of the festival as well.

We'd rather go on too long for some people than stop too soon for others. That's just the way it is.

Posted by The Rogue (# 2275) on :

quote:
Originally posted by JoannaP:
"People who stockpile their PM's so they can get loads of frantic pleas to purge".

And the problem with that title is?

By the way, has the fun interfered with the board indexing at all and will this need to be done again soon?

Posted by Jengie Jon (# 273) on :

I am not against H&A but please not the next on at Shrove tide 2014. Earlier is fine, later is fine but it should not be predictable.

Jengie

There wasn't one around Shrove Tuesday last year, so it's hardly a fixture. In fact, I believe this H&A day to have been the first since I was made a host back in summer 2011.

Posted by Sioni Sais (# 5713) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Jengie Jon:
I am not against H&A but please not the next on at Shrove tide 2014. Earlier is fine, later is fine but it should not be predictable.

Jengie

Did anyone see it coming? Be honest.

Posted by passer (# 13329) on :

I did.

Posted by the giant cheeseburger (# 10942) on :

quote:
Originally posted by seasick:
There wasn't one around Shrove Tuesday last year, so it's hardly a fixture. In fact, I believe this H&A day to have been the first since I was made a host back in summer 2011.

They never told you what really happened when Kelly "accidentally closed the boards" that time?

Of course not, I am just an 'umble Eccles 'ost. [Big Grin]

Posted by Jengie Jon (# 273) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
quote:
Originally posted by Jengie Jon:

Jengie

Did anyone see it coming? Be honest.
No I did not but previously they have not fitted with the season. I can see when there is a possibility of a pattern and being a Non-conformist where as the joke goes what you do twice is traditional, I did not want a tradition to happen by accident.

Jengie

Posted by Autenrieth Road (# 10509) on :

quote:
Of course not, I am just an 'umble Eccles 'ost. [Big Grin]

Shouldn't that be 'umble Heccles 'ost? In which case, just let me know when you'd like some heckling. (Or does this mean you're the one that does the heckling?) [Smile] .

(None of this should be construed to mean I would violate Commandment 6, oh no, not me. Only the most respectful heccling from 'ere.)

[ 14. February 2013, 13:30: Message edited by: Autenrieth Road ]

quote:

The previous one was May 2011 in honour of Erin's birthday.

Posted by RooK (# 1852) on :

quote:
Originally posted by passer:
I did.

What an amazing exception to your otherwise spotless record.

Posted by orfeo (# 13878) on :

quote:
Originally posted by passer:
I did.

And the Pope's retirement too, no doubt.

This is the Ship of Fools. Everybody is never going to be satisfied, whatever is done. We are the present-day incarnation of 'Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells'.

Posted by Lyda*Rose (# 4544) on :

quote:
This is the Ship of Fools. Everybody is never going to be satisfied, whatever is done. We are the present-day incarnation of 'Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells'.

Amen.

I, for one, always get a kick out of H&A days. This one included. And Marvin invented a delightful new title for me which I paid to make permanent. It's all good!

Posted by Horseman Bree (# 5290) on :

Please make sure that the next such days are scheduled during Lent.

This would make it easier for me to do a Lenten Ship-free fast. Might even be good for me.

quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:
quote:

Amen.

Heh, heh, between us we've just managed to write a new Liturgy, Lyda Rose. [Biased]

Now all we need to do is wait until someone complains....

Posted by Sioni Sais (# 5713) on :

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:
quote:

Amen.

Heh, heh, between us we've just managed to write a new Liturgy, Lyda Rose. [Biased]

Now all we need to do is wait until someone complains....

Just like the Real Thing™ then ..

Posted by St. Stephen the Stoned (# 9841) on :

I'm surprised that Dead Horses didn't get renamed after a well-known supermarket chain. Or did I miss that?

Posted by Firenze (# 619) on :

quote:
Originally posted by St. Stephen the Stoned:
I'm surprised that Dead Horses didn't get renamed after a well-known supermarket chain. Or did I miss that?

Yes it was, and yes you did.

Just noticed that the Bleep-o-***-meter affected people's profiles, so you might wanna check your shit to see if it's still legible. [Big Grin]

© Ship of Fools 2016