Thread: Liturgical Resources help thread Board: Oblivion / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=70;t=025737

Posted by Percy B (# 17238) on :

Thank you to the hosts for permitting this thread.

I know there is a wide experience of liturgy and worship on the ship.

Sometimes we are looking for something - a particular text, hymn, or already crafted liturgy. Sometimes google isn't helpful, or lacks discernment.

This thread is meant as a friendly and helpful one - to offer help through offering links, or suggestions, or advice.

[ 13. February 2013, 12:01: Message edited by: seasick ]

Posted by dj_ordinaire (# 4643) on :

Thanks Percy.

Any suggestions or requests to get us started?

Posted by Hart (# 4991) on :

Some resources for liturgical music, linked to the lectionary:

Newman Hymnal ("Modern Catholic")
Corpus Christi Watershed ("Traditional Catholic")

Those are great sites Hart. I never knew such existed.

Two requests for help, please...

A) Hymns / songs for the common worship lectionary sites? We would like to gently extend our range of hymns and think choices from other hymn or songs book could help.

B) intercessions for Eucharist on a Sunday - the prayers of the faithful. We'd like to show people examples from different places, to encourage looking out of our box, a little. Are there sites with sample intercessions?

Posted by Angloid (# 159) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Percy B:

A) Hymns / songs for the common worship lectionary sites? We would like to gently extend our range of hymns and think choices from other hymn or songs book could help.

Try Oremus.

Yes, Oremus is quite good. however I find it is very strongly relating hymns to Bible passages, rather than to themes or seasons.

What would be helpful is like some a site like some hymn books have at the back of their books - a few hymns, not too many, for each Sunday, including seasonal ones, some biblically related ones too, and some more general as suggestions.

Posted by Jon in the Nati (# 15849) on :

I've always rather liked the CyberHymnal. It can tend to be a little more slanted toward modern (1700-present) evangelical hymnody (as opposed to ancient hymnody), but you can usually find about anything you might need there.

If you search the 'Topics' tab, you will find references to liturgical seasons and feasts.

Posted by Basilica (# 16965) on :

Does anyone know of a (easily accessible and not too difficult) plainchant setting of the ordinary of the mass suitable for a modern language Common Worship Eucharist? I have been unable to find anything other than the Corpus Christi Watershed page mentioned above, which only gives the modern Roman translation. Does anyone know of the ICET texts set to plainchant?

Is this any good?

Posted by Basilica (# 16965) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Angloid:
Is this any good?

Looks good. Ordered. Thanks!

Posted by Arch Anglo Catholic (# 15181) on :

May I suggest gospelimprint.com which has a wealth of Common Worship compliant Anglican Catholic liturgy and leaflets?

The site is under the auspices of the inclusive Catholic wing of the CofE and has some excellent and readily adaptable resources.

For those terrified of anything vaguely Marian, just remove the Ave Maria at the end of the intercessions, and replace with a simple authorised conclusion.

Posted by leo (# 1458) on :

quote:

B) intercessions for Eucharist on a Sunday - the prayers of the faithful. We'd like to show people examples from different places, to encourage looking out of our box, a little. Are there sites with sample intercessions?

Try this.

Also if you google 'intercessions proper 3 Year C - or similar, it usually comes up with quite few sites which you could then bookmark.

I find this throws u so many results that I don't even bother to bookmark them.

[fixed broken link]

[ 17. January 2013, 17:34: Message edited by: seasick ]

Thanks for that helpful link Leo. I can't find a directory for those intercessions though. The link goes to a specific Sunday but I can't work out how to navigate from it to other Sundays' intercessions.

Also my screen shows a slightly annoying A with an accent on it randomly in the text of the prayers.

I find the RC biddings are often more brief than the Anglican ones. Does anyone have a good resource website for them.

sorry - I don't have a url forthe home page.

I agree that the RC biddings are briefer - much better than those anglicans who tell God what they read in the Sunday Times.

Something to bear in mind:

A thread for sharing suggestions for links of potential use in worship planning is a good idea but it must be appreciated that this is not any kind of paid service, it simply derives from people's helpfulness. It may not, therefore, be the case that everything comes with an exact URL or without formatting errors, nor should this be expected.

Thank you.

dj_ordinaire, Eccles host

quote:
Originally posted by leo:
sorry - I don't have a url forthe home page.

I agree that the RC biddings are briefer - much better than those anglicans who tell God what they read in the Sunday Times.

I fiddled about with the URL and found a few more, how odd it doesn't connect well, textweek is usually so good. I find it a great resource.

I will have a look out for RC biddings site. I seem to remember a US university chaplaincy site was good on them.

Posted by Morgan (# 15372) on :

quote:
Thanks for that helpful link Leo. I can't find a directory for those intercessions though. The link goes to a specific Sunday but I can't work out how to navigate from it to other Sundays' intercessions.

Go to the home page for textweek.com and there is a sidebar down a little on the right where you can select a particular week. Alternatively at the top there is a search function where you can specify the week you want. Also a scripture index that you can use to find the week that uses a particular reading that is relevant to your needs.

When you get to the page for the day you want, scroll down to the Prayers, Prefaces, Litanies, etc.: subheading and there you will find a variety of prayer resources including intercessions.

Love this site.

Going back to hymns and songs choices for Sundays I realised what I was seeking wasn't so much a general list like Oremus or Cyberhymnal provide, although they are great.

More what would help is the hymn list of churches for the coming weeks, to prompt thought on ideas for hymns. I realise local circumstances vary. It's not about wanting it done for us but more having a look and comparing, and introducing a some fresh ideas.

Posted by Qoheleth. (# 9265) on :

Many of our cathedrals have their music lists on line, often including the Sunday hymns.

For example.

Posted by lily pad (# 11456) on :

PercyB, try here.

Posted by seasick (# 48) on :

quote:
On 8th November, Three weeks before Advent began, Lutheranchic posted:

quote:
I provide content for our church's Facebook page, and I'm looking for good Advent resources I can share during the month of December. I'm looking for a mix of things for various ages and stages -- interactive Advent calendars for grownups as well as children, collections of Advent-y reflections and the like. I usually Google material like this, but I'm wondering if anyone here has any favorite resources, or even if your church publishes its own Advent resources online. Thanks!
There were some great helpful posts.

Now its 'gesima' time, the time before Lent please could I ask the same question for Lent please?

Any good online or favourite Lent resources you would recommend through experience - to help observe Lent, for our Church website / facebook or whatever?

Posted by Mamacita (# 3659) on :

Something for the parish website for Lent? This is appropriately unrestful for a Ship of Fools recommendation: Lent Madness.* Each day there is a face-off between two saints of the church. Little biographies are provided and then you vote on-line. Winner passes up to the next bracket, like it's a sports tournament. The thing is, every day you learn a bit about two people whose faithfulness and sacrifices went before us. It's good fun.

*named after "March Madness," which in the US is the late-winter university basketball championship playoffs.

If you're interested in an (in-print) Lenten reflections book, I'll plug The Gift of the Cross.

That looks a little gem, Hart.

As I understand it the Roman rite allows for seasonal responsorial psalms. That is to say not a different one every week, but one or two that can be used, say, in Lent.

But where is the list?

Posted by IngoB (# 8700) on :

The St. Edmund Campion Missal & Hymnal for the Traditional Latin Mass looks very good. It has been discussed on the New Liturgical Movement blog in detail: Intro, Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4, Part 5, and Part 6 should be coming soon. If you are like me and found the music in the above video staggeringly beautiful, the Rorate Caeli blog has that music for free download.

Posted by Emendator Liturgia (# 17245) on :

Thanks for that Ingo - might disagree with some of your theology, but certainly can't disagree at how beautiful that Byrd piece is - have copied it ready to be used for communion music one Sunday soon.

lent daily mass

Can anyone suggest a website giving the mass readings of the day in Lent, with a brief reflection on them?

Monring Percy - this offering from Creighton Ubniversity Ministry Team (Jesuit) might be helpful to you - we've used it in the past and will do so again this year:

http://onlineministries.creighton.edu/CollaborativeMinistry/Lent/index.html

Posted by Dal Segno (# 14673) on :

Does anyone know a good source for descants for hymns? Googling returns nothing, something behind a pay-wall, or something dreadful.

Posted by Bishops Finger (# 5430) on :

There is no such source. Descants make the Baby Jesus (and the congregation) cry........

.......seriously, though - are they not included in (full) music editions of hymnbooks?

Ian J.

Posted by St. Stephen the Stoned (# 9841) on :

Et voilą*! Instant descant!

*Tha's gorrit

Posted by ken (# 2460) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Dal Segno:
Does anyone know a good source for descants for hymns? Googling returns nothing, something behind a pay-wall, or something dreadful.

There are a few online here

Apparently there were first introduced (or reintroduced) by Athelstan Riley, who produced a book called "A Collection of Faux-Bourdons and Descants" which I guess might be hsrd to find. But there were supposedly popularised by that Very Strange Hymbook called "Songs of Praise" what I wibbled about in a previous thread here. which is still in print and quite cheap.

Posted by Jon in the Nati (# 15849) on :

Glad to see someone finally got the title of this thread correct...

Posted by Dal Segno (# 14673) on :

quote:
Originally posted by St. Stephen the Stoned:

I hadn't thought of that. I've been messing around with the alto's parts instead.

And no, our full-music hymnbook doesn't include descants [Frown]

Thank you.

[ 11. February 2013, 20:26: Message buggered about with by: Dal Segno ]

A request for help on Lectionaries.

I have what I consider to be a good book of devotional sermons. However it is sermons on the Gospels of the lectionary of the Book of Common Prayer 1662, the Gospel printed in the book.

Is there a table somewhere on line which can tell me when the RCL Gospel is found in BcP - of course I know not are. I had in mind a simple cross reference table rather than having to get the reference and hunt through the current C of E lectionaries.

This way I could then look up the C of E modern RCL sunday Gospel and find when it is in BCP, if it is, and so read the appropriate devotional address.

Posted by gog (# 15615) on :

Another web site that might help with hymn finding

Singing the Faith

includes weekly readings (for RCL) and some other seasonal bits

Posted by John Holding (# 158) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Dal Segno:
quote:
Originally posted by St. Stephen the Stoned:
  • Take the tenor part.
  • Transpose it up an octave.
  • Make the sops sing it.
  • Make everybody else sing the tune.
  • Change the harmony a bit.

I hadn't thought of that. I've been messing around with the alto's parts instead.

And no, our full-music hymnbook doesn't include descants [Frown]

Thank you.

<small>[ 11. February 2013, 20:26: Message buggered about with by: Dal Segno ]</small>

The tenor parts from 18th century music (and earlier) usually work with minimal tweaking.

Victorian stuff not so much, it varies. And make sure it's the tenor vocal line, not the upper line of the bass clef of the accompaniment, if there's a difference.

And modern stuff is usually meant to be sung in unison and probably doesn't have a usable tenor line.

John

There are many versions of the stations of the cross. Some I find too heavy or dense.

I have been asked to lead in two weeks time.

The stations we have are the traditional ones.

About 7 or 8 will attend, I guess. Time limited to 25 mins.

Anyone suggest a good online offering which you have found good?

I'm a big fan of "Everyone's Way of the Cross." You'd have to buy a copy, but it's very cheap and two weeks is plenty of time to get it. I'll also mention, You Have Redeemed the World, stations in my Holy Cross tradition. Not sure if it's available in the UK, though.

Posted by Oblatus (# 6278) on :

quote:
There are many versions of the stations of the cross. Some I find too heavy or dense.

I have been asked to lead in two weeks time.

The stations we have are the traditional ones.

About 7 or 8 will attend, I guess. Time limited to 25 mins.

Anyone suggest a good online offering which you have found good?

This one's very close to what we use. It uses scriptural texts for the short meditations, so they don't get smarmy or saccharine like some versions.

quote:
Time limited to 25 mins.

You are practically going to have to run round - less than 2 minutes per station?

I am leading an ecumenical stations during Holy Week - 30-40 minutes and some, e.g. baptists, won't have been to Stations before, so i am going to do a 'sample' of 5 stations.

Posted by Fr Weber (# 13472) on :

We've been using an Anglo-Catholic adaptation of the Liguori Stations. I don't much care for it--the Act of Contrition isn't the one I'm used to, and the meditations have a kind of florid morbidity (or morbid floridity?) which seems to come out of a certain Mediterranean spirituality. Not necessarily wrong, but so not my thing.

I have resolved to find a different version for next year, and so these suggestions are welcome.

quote:
Originally posted by leo:
quote:
Time limited to 25 mins.

You are practically going to have to run round - less than 2 minutes per station?

I am leading an ecumenical stations during Holy Week - 30-40 minutes and some, e.g. baptists, won't have been to Stations before, so i am going to do a 'sample' of 5 stations.

Yes it is a brisk devotion, unlike the one you are doing, Leo. But that's the beauty of this devotion isn't it it can be done in many different ways.

I will aim at not too many words, and silent walk from station to station... Remember there will just be about half a dozen of us.

It's therefore a simple but provoking version I am looking for and I appreciate the help so far.

A friend has asked if she could help for Good Friday.

In her church it has come down to the church wardens to provide a act of worship so it would be a service of word. Smallish congregation, to be lay lead.

Has anyone an off the peg service they could point me to online which they would recommend. It's A Church of England place by the way.

Do you have access to the 'Lent, Holy Week and Easter' book? Contains several 'mix and match' options suitable for the Sacred Triduum. Failing that, are there any particular provisions in Common Worship: Daily Prayer?

I looked at Lent Holy Week and Easter, and did not see a simple service o the word there. Thanks for the suggestion though. What was offered seemed quite prescribed. Long passion readings and prayers like they give are not quite what they would be at ease with, not least because of inexperience in leading. They have been landed a not so easy situation.

CW daily prayer I thought was too complicated for a not very liturgically aware congregation. That's why I was interested to know if the experience of any here could help.

One thing they are looking for in the service is a simple reflection in place of the sermon which a member of the laity could read out. For me that is one of the more difficult parts of the request! It's such a difficult day for a simple devotion.

I have already suggested quietness and silence would be a good part of what they do, as well as some simple hymns.

Posted by Rosa Gallica officinalis (# 3886) on :

I have adapted this in the past and will probably recycle it again this year. I used recorded music in place of the anthems.

To make it compliant with CofE service of the word you need to add the collect and the Lord's prayer

Thank you so much for that suggestion RosaG.. very helpful indeed.

Now I have another request for help.

We are prodicing a guide to the Eucharist (Common Worship). It will have the text of the service on the right hand side (recto) and opposite on the left (verso) a commentary and aids to devotion.

It is not meant to be used at the service itself, but more as a prayer / study guide for worshipers to look at / read / take home. We hope it will encourage deeper devotion and participation.

We don't want to reinvent the wheel!

We are sure others have done something similar, and in fact we have a very good example from St Martins in the Fields, London.

We would love to see other examples, for inspiration. If you can point to one on line or are willing to e mail one that would be fantastic!

Of course as many of the texts are shared with other denominations it does not have to be Anglican.

Here is a useful leaflet explaining the ad orientem - eastward position.

Not saying I agree with it, just offering it as a possibly helpful resource.
[Smile]

Posted by L'organist (# 17338) on :

Sorry to be so late with this, but:

Descants : a very good book of these was published by ALAN GREY - you may be able to find it via the RSCM.

A friend suggested BOSTON - the tune - for Mr Wesley's Come sinners Eucharist hymn.

But can I find that tune? No. Anyone help?
Any other thoughts on tune for that one?

Fulda. No exceptions.

According to a church music resource site, the tune Boston is also known as Hamburg. Hope that helps.

Percy B
May I suggest that you get some advice from the Royal School of Church Music (RSCM): it may be that your church is already affiliated, in which case they publish something called Sunday by Sunday which will give hymns and worship songs relating to what is in the Lectionary for the Sunday.

On hymn tunes and such like, find a fairly mainstream book - New English Hymnal, Ancient & Modern or similar - and see what they suggest.

If there is a tune you like and which fits but your congregation don't know then teach it to them: either see if you can have an occasional Congregational Hymn Session (with tea?) to learn new stuff or teach the choir and introduce it that way.

If you like a particular set of words but none of the suggested tunes do it for you then find another either by looking in the Metrical Index at the back of the hymn book or by introducing something entirely new: for example, my church liked the words of Holy Spirit, ever dwelling in the holiest realms of light by Timothy Rees but none of the tunes went down very well: SOLUTION was to use a better tune - Calon Lan in this instance - and the result is a hymn enjoyed and sung by all. [Smile]

Posted by Jengie Jon (# 273) on :

There is also this tune called Boston. It is probably in CMD see this webpage.

Jengie

Percy B
You will find that Come sinners will be OK with either of these tunes:

Rockingham - which you may associate with When I survey the wondrous cross
or
Angel's Song - which is use for Forth in thy name O Lord, I go

But a trawl through the Long Meter [LM] section of the metrical index of a hymnal may bring you to a tune you prefer...

Come sinners...

Thinking of which I went to a Communion service years ago where the invitation went something like:

Come not because you are worthy but ...
With that as a recurring thread in the invitation.

I can't for the life of me find it now, anyone know it, or other different but good words of invitation.

Posted by lily pad (# 11456) on :

This is not the same one but is similar in style. Will look again in a bit.

This is the Lord's table. It is made ready for those who love him, and for those who want to love him more.

So come, you who have much faith and you who have little, you who have been here often and you who have not been here long, you who have tried to follow, and you who have failed.

Come, because it is the Lord who invites you. It is his will that those who want him should meet him here.

quote:
Come sinners...

Thinking of which I went to a Communion service years ago where the invitation went something like:

Come not because you are worthy but ...
With that as a recurring thread in the invitation.

I can't for the life of me find it now, anyone know it, or other different but good words of invitation.

I know this, this is by John Hunter in his "Devotional Services for Public Worship" usually 1903/4 edition is cited. I blogged about it last year. Lily Pad your version is just a minister riffing on it which actually probably what Percy heard as well though the text is closer.

Oh you won't find it in the official texts, it has become folk liturgy which is why you get these variants.

Jengie

It's reminiscent of John Chrysostom's Easter homily.

quote:
Originally posted by Jengie Jon:
Oh you won't find it in the official texts, it has become folk liturgy which is why you get these variants.

Yes, you will. A lightly modernised version of that is the invitation in the Lent season Eucharist in the Methodist Worship Book.

quote:
Originally posted by lily pad:
This is not the same one but is similar in style. Will look again in a bit.

This is the Lord's table. It is made ready for those who love him, and for those who want to love him more.

So come, you who have much faith and you who have little, you who have been here often and you who have not been here long, you who have tried to follow, and you who have failed.

Come, because it is the Lord who invites you. It is his will that those who want him should meet him here.

Similar to Taize:
quote:
So, come to this table, you who have much faith and you who would like to have more. You who have been to this sacrament often, and you who have not been for a long time; you who have tried to follow Jesus, and you who have failed. Come. Come. It is Christ who invites us to meet him here.

Yes as I said riffing on John Hunters, this is how Reformed Churches do liturgy (that is take a text and contextualise it), and yes in this case it is just Taize showing its Reformed heritage.

I sort of knew about it in the Methodist Service Book but I had been checking mainly Reformed ones and they tend to officially use Bible texts these days. That is Reformed in general and not just URC.

As far as I can find out the invitation that is now part of many "open"* eucharist service was an innovation by John Hunter.

Jengie

*I am using Reformed terminology, an "open table" is one where visitors are welcome to partake; a "closed table" is one where only the faithful may partake. "Faithful" may be defined of the group, congregation, denomination or tradition; visitors simply mean outside that definition. Yes we have both types.

Posted by 3rdFooter (# 9751) on :

Does anyone have any good suggestions for hymns for a confirmation service? In this neck of the woods no confirmation or ordination service seems to pass without 'Lord, for the years'. It's OK but I suspect the bishop is getting slightly tired of it.

Apologies if this is taking the thread in the wrong direction.

Posted by Olaf (# 11804) on :

quote:
Originally posted by 3rdFooter:
Does anyone have any good suggestions for hymns for a confirmation service?

Without knowing your usual hymns and hymnal, I would suggest perusing the Holy Baptism and Pentecost sections of your hymnal. They often work.

Come Down, O Love Divine
Rejoice, God's Pilgrim People
Holy Spirit, Lord of Love

ETA...after seeing charismatic tendencies in your profile, I might also suggest (while I groan)

Here I Am, Lord

[ 27. May 2013, 23:17: Message edited by: Olaf ]

Posted by AndyB (# 10186) on :

I'd suggest Be thou my vision and other such hymns and songs of commitment. Come down O love divine also comes to mind, and just about anything suitable for Pentecost.

One bishop I know said a number of years ago that just about everywhere he went they put on We have a gospel to proclaim, presumably including confirmations. Firstly, he was fed up singing it, and secondly he wished they would stop talking about it and actually go and proclaim it...

Posted by Clavus (# 9427) on :

Our bishop has banned any further use of 'O Jesus I have promised' at Confirmations.

quote:
Originally posted by AndyB:
I'd suggest Be thou my vision and other such hymns and songs of commitment. Come down O love divine also comes to mind, and just about anything suitable for Pentecost.

One bishop I know said a number of years ago that just about everywhere he went they put on We have a gospel to proclaim, presumably including confirmations. Firstly, he was fed up singing it, and secondly he wished they would stop talking about it and actually go and proclaim it...

I think that Bishop may deserve a bit of a telling off. Sadly people do not always tell bishops face to face to get a life!

Firstly - he may be fed up of singing it because he goes to lots of confirmations but actually few people go to lots of confirmations,, sometimes just their own, so maybe he could ponder that!

Secondly, he is rather critical of those who sing it! Is he saying he doesn't talk much but does the Gospel. In my experience bishops talk a lot about the gospel, and actually don't do a lot more.

Maybe bishops should send out lists of hymns they suggest.

Sounds like one of our former bishops who complained that everywhere he went he had to celebrate the Eucharist. That's really the point of him being the bishop! In any case, they get their revenge by always preaching the same sermon on every occasion.

Posted by 3rdFooter (# 9751) on :

Thanks for the suggestions, All. Just about time to commit myself to print.

3F

Posted by Zappa (# 8433) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Clavus:
Our bishop has banned any further use of 'O Jesus I have promised' at Confirmations.

All the more opportunity for Shine Jesus Shine, then!

Bishops need to be careful. I was privy to an exchange between a former (recent!) Bishop of Durham and a well(ish) known contemprary(ish) Christian songwriter. X + Durham commented publically that he would scream if he had to sing The Servant Song once more (or words to that effect). The author of said song entered into a vibrant if grace-filled exchange with said bishop for several weeks. Ultimately they agreed to differ.

As it happens the song writer is a fan of that particular bishop and his writings.

[ 01. June 2013, 22:49: Message edited by: Zappa ]

Zappa, me thinks you have SJS on your brain atm, IMHO (and irreverent) opinion!

Posted by PD (# 12436) on :

I am still recovering from an ordination at which St Patrick's Breastplate was not sung! I had begun to assume that it was against the 'Con and Cans' to omit it from Ordination services.

Confirmations do not seem to be too awfully stereotyped in my Diocese. It helps that no-one really knows the three hymns in the Confirmation section f the Hymnal so you do not get them trotted out every single time.

I do, however, have one church that sings 'Let us break bread together on our knees' at every single communion service I have ever attended there! I would imagine this gets quite wearing after a while as like most MOTR-Broad places it seems to have the Eucharist on every possible occasion, and then make something up if it is not possible to make it a Eucharist!

PD

[ 02. June 2013, 14:18: Message edited by: PD ]

© Ship of Fools 2016