Thread: Weekday worship suggestions in London Board: Oblivion / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=70;t=025756

Posted by Boadicea Trott (# 9621) on :

I will be in London from just after lunch on Monday till mid-afternoon Tuesday.

I am Eastern Orthodox, really love church visiting across denominations, and have never attended a Latin Mass though I would like to do so. I would enjoy visiting "nose-bleed high" Anglican parishes too.

Can anyone recommend a church/churches in central London which will have a service? I will be based around Marble Arch area due to the activities of family members necessitating the trip to London........

Posted by venbede (# 16669) on :

The Annuciation Marble Arch? Along the Bayswater Road there is the Greek Orthodox Cathedral, Moscow Road http://www.stsophia.org.uk/

South of the park there is the Russian Orthodox Cathedral, Ennismore Gardens http://www.sourozh.org/cathedral-timetable-old/

Just south of Oxford Street, a spitting distance from Selfridges is the Uxranian Uniate (forgive me if the terms is offensive) cathedral of the Holy Family in Exile. It was built for a reformed minister called Dr Orchard, that jengie jon will know a lot about.

Annunciation Marble Arch was my "nosebleed" suggestion. (I don't like the term even as a joke.) It is now a daughter church of All Saints Margaret Street, just north of Oxford Circus, which is much loved by some members here. It has always made much of its Anglican credentials, unlike the Annunciation within living memory.

Posted by Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras (# 11274) on :

All Saints Margaret Street normally has three daily celebrations of Mass on weekdays. However, these low masses won't be nosebleed high by any means. On trips back to London I have sometimes got into central London after being dumped out at Heathrow way early in the morning, checked by the hotel, and then proceeded fairly directly on to Margaret Street -- always a treat, even for a low mass. The interior of the church is stunning now that all the cleaning and restoration of the tiles, paintings, celing, and windows has been accomplished. If you don't have time to make it to Mass there, by all means try to get by to see the interior -- especially if it happens to be a sunny day.

Sorry: should have provided a link to the ASMS website: http://www.allsaintsmargaretstreet.org.uk/ As you see, there is a morning, a mid-day, and an early evening Mass, Mon-Fri, in addition to the daily offices.

Posted by Metapelagius (# 9453) on :

quote:
Originally posted by venbede:
Just south of Oxford Street, a spitting distance from Selfridges is the Ukranian Uniate (forgive me if the terms is offensive) cathedral of the Holy Family in Exile. It was built for a reformed minister called Dr Orchard, that jengie jon will know a lot about.

<tangent>No; Dr Orchard was inducted to the charge of the King's Weigh House in 1914; the building dates from 1891, the congregation (which could trace its history, in a succession of buildings, to the 1660s) having been obliged to move from Fish Street Hill as the site of its church was to be used by the Metropolitan Railway for the construction of Monument station. <end tangent>

Posted by Jengie Jon (# 273) on :

Just to second Metapelagius information and it is not just famous for Dr Orchard. John Hunter was his predessor and Hunter's Predecessor was Thomas Binney.

So it has seen a lot of notable liturgists. In its time it was consistently a liturgically innovative dissenting congregation.

Jengie

Thank you all so much for this info !
Barring disasters, I hope to visit at least one of these churches [Big Grin]

Posted by Angloid (# 159) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras:
All Saints Margaret Street normally has three daily celebrations of Mass on weekdays. However, these low masses won't be nosebleed high by any means.

I doubt if you will get anything 'nosebleed high' on any weekday lunchtime. Though you might get some exotic rites in places, like St Magnus the Martyr.

Posted by seasick (# 48) on :

If I'm looking for a service on a weekday evening in London I often head for Westminster Cathedral for Vespers then Mass.

Posted by Incensed (# 2670) on :

I'm not sure that the Annunciation is a "daughter" church of Margaret Street. They were certainly "looking after" the Annunciation but I don't think it ever lost its independence. Perhaps I am wrong.

Posted by Oblatus (# 6278) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Angloid:
quote:
Originally posted by Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras:
All Saints Margaret Street normally has three daily celebrations of Mass on weekdays. However, these low masses won't be nosebleed high by any means.

I doubt if you will get anything 'nosebleed high' on any weekday lunchtime. Though you might get some exotic rites in places, like St Magnus the Martyr.
I've experienced the 1.10pm lunch-hour Mass at St Alban's, Holborn. The friend who took me there probably enjoyed watching my expression as I realized it was Roman Rite (what today would be called the RC Ordinary Form).

Posted by Liturgylover (# 15711) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Boadicea Trott:
I will be in London from just after lunch on Monday till mid-afternoon Tuesday.

I am Eastern Orthodox, really love church visiting across denominations, and have never attended a Latin Mass though I would like to do so. I would enjoy visiting "nose-bleed high" Anglican parishes too.

Can anyone recommend a church/churches in central London which will have a service? I will be based around Marble Arch area due to the activities of family members necessitating the trip to London........

One tube stop west on the central line or a five minute hop on the bus will take you to Lancaster Gate tube where, two minutes walk away, you will find the delightful St James Sussex Gardens. Always open during the day, but also with daily mass with incense at 6.30pm (I think). Modern Catholic liturgically and one of the best choirs in London on a Sunday.

Posted by cg (# 14332) on :

It's several decades since I lived near Marble Arch and used to go to Mass at the Tyburn Convent on my way to work. I cannot think of a better way to start a day in London.

SHRINE OF THE SACRED HEART
AND THE TYBURN MARTYRS
TYBURN CONVENT, 8 Hyde Park Place
Bayswater road, London W2 2LJ Tel: (020) 7723 7262

Perpetuates the memory of 105 Catholic martyrs of the Reformation
Period who died on this spot. A sister is available for guided tours of the Shrine daily at
10.30am,3.30pm & 5.30pm daily

HOLY MASS

Sundays, weekdays and Holydays: 7.30am
Exposition of the Eucharist day and night.
Church open from 6.15am to 8.30pm daily.

[URL=http://www.tyburnconvent.org.uk/updates/events.html][/URL]

[ 03. March 2013, 03:19: Message edited by: cg ]

quote:
Originally posted by Incensed:
I'm not sure that the Annunciation is a "daughter" church of Margaret Street. They were certainly "looking after" the Annunciation but I don't think it ever lost its independence. Perhaps I am wrong.

"Partnered with" is the applicable parlance, I think.

Annunciation is a very pretty, light, and spacious - if relatively small - church. It is certainly worth seeing, if at all possible, although I'm not sure it remains open throughout the day (that certainly didn't used to be the case). By contrast, All Saints Margaret Street is pretty much always open throughout the day.

Posted by Bishops Finger (# 5430) on :

What LSK said re the Annunciation - a lovely church, and the Patronal Mass I went to a few years ago was as spiky as one could wish!

They have a lunch-time Mass on Tuesdays, I think.

How about St. Cyprian, Clarence Gate, a little way up the Bakerloo Line? Another beautiful church, with a 1.10pm Mass on Thursdays.

These weekday services may not be very 'high' liturgically in themselves, but they do at least give one the opportunity to worship in some very fine church buildings - which IMHO is a tad more satisfying than just wandering around said buildings 'having a look'.

Ian J.

St Cyprian Clarence Gate is also partnered with All Saints Margaret Street and as far as I know the lovely Fr Gerald Beauchamps is still priest in charge at St Cyprian's, a very fine and sweet gent who was formerly curate at Margaret Street.

It's a shame St Cyprian's won't be open Mon or Tues as I would have loved to have seen it.

Annunciation, ASMS, and the Tyburn Convent are on my wish list to pay a visit (poss also St Paul's Knightsbridge as it looks very lovely indeed). Thank you all for excellent suggestions.

I also hope to spend a while in the British museum specifically to see the Lewis Chessmen [Biased]

Posted by Bishops Finger (# 5430) on :

St. Paul's, Knightsbridge, looks (from its website)to be indeed a lively and attractive church. It never seems to feature in Mystery Worshipper or elsewhere on the Ship, being perhaps overshadowed by one or two more prominent Anglo-Catholic shrines! Boadicea, if you do visit (even if it's outside service time - though they do have a noon Mass on Saturdays), let us know what you think.

Ian J.

Posted by Chorister (# 473) on :

At Marble Arch, you are very close to St. James', Paddington. They have an evening eucharist at 6.30pm (after evening prayer at 6pm) on Mondays to Fridays.
When I visited the church, about 2 years ago, I found it very similar to my own (Liberal Catholic, vestments etc. but not nosebleed high). It would suit well if you are rushed for a lunchtime eucharist, and would fit in conveniently before an evening meal.

When in London (I lived there Mon-Fri for 18 months while Mr. C. was working there), I didn't come across a leaflet or website giving details of all the services in all the churches of the West End all in one place. If anyone ever compiles one it would be very convenient. The city, however, produces such a leaflet - a monthly bulletin of all the events and services at all the churches in the area. It is like gold dust for those who are wanting to find a service on any given day and at any given time. Most of the churches are within walking distance of each other, and the leaflets are available in most of the churches, as well as TICs. There is also a similar booklet giving details of all the organ recitals in London, which I've also found to be invaluable.

So come on, West End, get your act together - there are people who wish to know these things!

quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:
St. Paul's, Knightsbridge, looks (from its website)to be indeed a lively and attractive church. It never seems to feature in Mystery Worshipper or elsewhere on the Ship, being perhaps overshadowed by one or two more prominent Anglo-Catholic shrines! Boadicea, if you do visit (even if it's outside service time - though they do have a noon Mass on Saturdays), let us know what you think.

Ian J.

It is attractive though has a less than coherent feel with a rather plain Nave leading to an exuberant chancel. I have attended Sunday Eucharist here - lively it is not. good music but somehow the whole service felt flat and only about 35/40 in the congregation.

quote:
Originally posted by Chorister:
At Marble Arch, you are very close to St. James', Paddington. They have an evening eucharist at 6.30pm (after evening prayer at 6pm) on Mondays to Fridays.
When I visited the church, about 2 years ago, I found it very similar to my own (Liberal Catholic, vestments etc. but not nosebleed high). It would suit well if you are rushed for a lunchtime eucharist, and would fit in conveniently before an evening meal.

When in London (I lived there Mon-Fri for 18 months while Mr. C. was working there), I didn't come across a leaflet or website giving details of all the services in all the churches of the West End all in one place. If anyone ever compiles one it would be very convenient. The city, however, produces such a leaflet - a monthly bulletin of all the events and services at all the churches in the area. It is like gold dust for those who are wanting to find a service on any given day and at any given time. Most of the churches are within walking distance of each other, and the leaflets are available in most of the churches, as well as TICs. There is also a similar booklet giving details of all the organ recitals in London, which I've also found to be invaluable.

So come on, West End, get your act together - there are people who wish to know these things!

I concur with your suggestion of St James, Paddington and suggested it earlier in the thread.

The Deanery of St Margaret which covers most of the west end churches has its own website and used to publish a list of daily services (like the City Chirches) but I have just looked and it seems to have vanished.

quote:
Originally posted by Boadicea Trott:
It's a shame St Cyprian's won't be open Mon or Tues as I would have loved to have seen it.

Annunciation, ASMS, and the Tyburn Convent are on my wish list to pay a visit (poss also St Paul's Knightsbridge as it looks very lovely indeed). Thank you all for excellent suggestions.

I also hope to spend a while in the British museum specifically to see the Lewis Chessmen [Biased]

If you go to St Paul's Knightsbridge, it would be worth the ten minute walk to St Peter's Eaton Square - daily morning and evening prayer and Eucharist, and a superb restoration following an arson attack in the eighties (he thought it was a Roman Catholic church). They have just lost their lovely Vicar who is moving to Canterbury, I believe.

Dear all,

The Ukrainian Catholic Cathedral in Binney St appears wholly inaccessible (we tried on both days)as there is construction work going on outside across the whole of the front entrance and all the pavement has been dug up. We walked round the building but all the side doors were marked private and belonged to offices [Confused]

Annunciation was closed by the time we were able to check into our hotel, and we had to check out before it re-opened at 10.30 am yesterday. I did take photos of the War memorial Crucifix outside.

I tried to get into Farm Street church but they were in the middle of Mass and I did not want to interrupt, so I wandered off and headed back over to Tyburn.

I was able to get to the Tyburn Convent and spend half an hour in prayer there. It is an amazing experience; I was surprised how very peaceful it was considering the immense volume of traffic thundering past - the loudest sound was birdsong from the non-street facing windows.
I was on my way to ASMS when I had the phone call to say my daughter's appointment had just finished, and I had to head back to Grosvenor Square.

The Grosvenor Chapel is an absolute delight to visit (and has many icons), as was the lovely Farm Street Jesuit Church. Farm Sreet even has a replica statue of Our Lady of Montserrat [Big Grin]

My DD was "churched out" after these two, so we didn't get to St Paul's Knightsbridge - not least as my legs were killing me, my backpack was getting heavier by the minute and we still had the walk back to Victoria coach station to contend with without making a detour. It was such lovely weather we dd not fancy being cooped up on a tube train.

Thanks again for the recommendations, and I have now added three more churches to my list of London visits.

Posted by ardmacha (# 16499) on :

If you are in the Bond st./Oxford street area St James's, Spanish Place might be worth a visit.It is a large gothic revival Roman Catholic church with side aisles and many side chapels and a splendid Lady Chapel.There are several Masses daily; between 12 and 1 a priest from Opus dei hears confessions and I think there is a 12.30 Low Mass. On Sundays there is a Traditional Mass at 9.30 a.m. and a New Rite Sung Mass, with a professional choir at 11 or 10.30. It is also very close to the Wallace Collection full of fine paintings and FREE admission !

Down near Piccadilly Circus, just south of Carnaby Street, is the lovely classical RC church of Our Lady and St Gregory Warwick Street.

Before Catholic Emancipation the only public RC worship in London was in embassy chapels. St James Spanish Place was the site of the Spanish Embassy. Our Lady Warwick Street was the site of the Sardinian Embassy. Honest.

It is a pre-gothic classical building and I'm very fond of it. I drop into to light a candle to Our Lady of Warwick Street. (I'm not sure of the date of the present building - I don't think it dates from the Sardinian time, but it is totally pre-Gothic.)

But BT might have gone home by now.

I was disappointed that there were no guide books of any description visible on sale at the Farm Street Church, as I would have loved to have bought one as a souvenir of a lovely church. Loads of CTS booklets on sale in one of the rear chapels, but no guide book. The church shop was only open on Thursdays.

There is no mention of a guide book on the website either :-(

Posted by ardmacha (# 16499) on :

Thanks for the mention of lovely Warwick Street church, it was the Bavarian chapel for a time and there is a plaque in remembrance of one of the Dukes of Bavaria/Stuart claimant. It has now been given to the Anglican Ordinariate and they hope to be celebrating the Holy Week Rites with solemnity and good music.

quote:
Originally posted by ardmacha:
Thanks for the mention of lovely Warwick Street church, it was the Bavarian chapel for a time and there is a plaque in remembrance of one of the Dukes of Bavaria/Stuart claimant. It has now been given to the Anglican Ordinariate and they hope to be celebrating the Holy Week Rites with solemnity and good music.

The only time I visited (which was some years ago) the music was atrocious. It was the only time I have heard a choir singing hymns completely flat, which was not helped by the silence of the congregation. I am sure the Ordinariate will improve things.

© Ship of Fools 2016