Thread: Beer and Hymns GB 2013 Board: Oblivion / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=70;t=025861

Posted by Holjo (# 10912) on :

The original Beer and Hymns team are back at GB this year.......

I am starting too gather together a hymns list.Feel free to let me know your favourites and I shall see if we can include them !!

Posted by Quinquireme (# 17384) on :

You haven't explained what this is about

Posted by dj_ordinaire (# 4643) on :

This is the 'Beer and Hymns' at Greenbelt.

Any possibility of a web link?

Posted by SyNoddy (# 17009) on :

You have just made my day [Yipee]
Progress on Women Bishops at General Synod AND invite to suggest favourite hymns for 'play' list at Greenbelt 2013 Beer&Hymns. Does it get any better than this [Smile]
Ok so in particular order, here are my top three:
Lord of the Dance - if only for the fun of dancing to a hymn in a field while wearing yellow wellies!
Shine Jesus shine - for the opportunity to have humorous debate on what constitutes a hymn vs a worship song
Thine be the Glory - simply joyous while singing and waving a pint of beer
Looking forward to reading what everyone else suggested

Posted by Pigwidgeon (# 10192) on :

quote:
Originally posted by dj_ordinaire:
This is the 'Beer and Hymns' at Greenbelt.

Thank you -- all I could think of was Great Britain, and that didn't make much sense.

ETA -- well, it makes some sense -- I'll be singing hymns and drinking beer in Great Britain in a few weeks.
[Yipee]

[ 08. July 2013, 16:30: Message edited by: Pigwidgeon ]

Posted by Heavenly Anarchist (# 13313) on :

'Thine be the glory' would be top of my list [Smile] 'And can it be' and 'I cannot tell' would be great too.
I so look forward to beer and hymns.

Posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider (# 76) on :

Last year I got a chance for a break from my job in the craft tent, headed straight for the ale and the damned place was full of people singing hymns at the tops of their voices.

Couldn't hear myself think. [Mad]

Posted by L'organist (# 17338) on :

Greenbelt - yet another expensive treat for the middle classes. And with Graham Kendrick too

How much more inclusive can you get [Projectile]

Posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider (# 76) on :

quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
Greenbelt - yet another expensive treat for the middle classes. And with Graham Kendrick too

How much more inclusive can you get [Projectile]

There are some other, erm, not at all Kendrick like contributions in the worship programme. Frustratingly the one I know most about hasn't appeared on the website as yet for some reason. Mr Kendrick's appearance surprised me although he's been there before about 20 years back because he is in fact so untypical of GB.

To be fair, GB is acutely aware of the ticket price issue, but is also aware that it struggles to keep afloat as it is. What's your suggestion?

Posted by Olaf (# 11804) on :

Wesley hymns and alcohol? I am fairly sure I hear the fainting thud of thousands of American Methodist pastors of yesteryear! (That said, it sounds like an interesting event. Best of wishes for a big crowd.)

Posted by Angloid (# 159) on :

I understood that the Wesleys themselves were not teetotal: indeed John expected a glass of whisky to be ready for him when he dismounted from his horse at a preaching engagement. Or so I was told. The total abstinence movement came later.

Posted by PD (# 12436) on :

Early Methodism preached temperence not total abstinence. The Teetotal position came in later - during the mid-nineteenth century. I am thinking that it was during the days when Jabez Bunting dominated the Conference, but I am not sure.

PD

[ 09. July 2013, 21:04: Message edited by: PD ]

Posted by Olaf (# 11804) on :

Nevertheless, I am certain "Beer and Hymns" would have caused some consternation!

Posted by Jengie Jon (# 273) on :

The tradition of singing hymn tunes in the pub pre-dates Methodism. The only difference is these days we sing the words not just the tunes. In times past in some places church choirs actually practised in the pub. The tunes were not in the Bible the psalm words were.

Jengie

I think the plan this year is to join the big top to the beer tent on a temporary basis to allow more people to partake. Regulars at the Jesus Arms will know that in recent years the stewards have limited the numbers to about 1500 leaving about the same amount of people outside of the tent and beer garden singing along. GB this year are trying to solve that problem by using the big top as the venue which I think ( though I am not sure) has a capacity of 4k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0yoR7HXS2I for those of you not familiar with Beer and Hymns

Posted by dj_ordinaire (# 4643) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Jengie Jon:
The tradition of singing hymn tunes in the pub pre-dates Methodism. The only difference is these days we sing the words not just the tunes. In times past in some places church choirs actually practised in the pub. The tunes were not in the Bible the psalm words were.

Jengie

I suspect a lot of it was down to the pub being the warmest place in the village most of the time. Especially in the eighteenth century when a lot of the parish churches didn't have roofs any more. Avoiding pubs has always been a bit of an urban luxury!

It is well with my soul....

Can people help me . Is this hymn well known across the traditions and denominations

Posted by Pigwidgeon (# 10192) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Holjo:

Can people help me. Is this hymn well known across the traditions and denominations

A Lutheran friend of mine loves it, but I have never heard it in an Episcopal church. It's not in our Hymnal.

Posted by ken (# 2460) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Holjo:

Can people help me . Is this hymn well known across the traditions and denominations

Its well known in our (Anglican) church. We have often sung it.

Posted by Carys (# 78) on :

I know it, but not sure why, doubt it is in my preferred handbooks.

Carys

Posted by ken (# 2460) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Carys:
I know it, but not sure why, doubt it is in my preferred handbooks.

Its sort of comes attached to one of those unbeatable, unbearable, Victorian stories.

The bloke's son died. Then he invested lots of money in property in Chicago - just before the Great Fire and he lost it all. Then his business almost went bust. His wife and four surviving children took ship to go to Europe. And their ship collided with another one and his daughters were all killed on the same day. The wife survived and sent a telegram to the USA to tell him. He got on another ship, to go and meet her. The captain tiold him when they were near the spot that the collision had happened (and so a few thousand feet above the drowned bodies of his daughters). And he wrrote the song there on the ship on that night.

Posted by Jengie Jon (# 273) on :

Well with it is well, I would say it was revivalist song style hymn, it fits very nicely in sentiment with "Trust and Obey" probably based on psalm 42.

As such I suspect among churches with revivalist connections a good portion sing it.

It is therefore not a classic (written before 1800) but comes of one of the two strains that basically ran from 1800 - 1960, the other being Anglican Victorian Hymnody.

If, as I suspect, the question is do enough people know it to carry the tune the answer is yes. There might be fewer that for others but they will tend to be confident singers.

Jengie

[ 12. July 2013, 21:26: Message edited by: Jengie Jon ]

Posted by Lothlorien (# 4927) on :

It has been sung at practically every Brethren funeral I've ever attended. The group is not Open nor Exclusives but closer to exclusive than Open.

I no longer am part of a Brethren Assembly but would be surprised if that sone was not included at a funeral.

© Ship of Fools 2016