Thread: The Mass in Slow Motion Board: Oblivion / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=70;t=025874

Posted by sososlowly (# 17592) on :

This maybe slightly too broad a question for Ecclesiantics - if so happy to be moved on gracefully by hosts...

I'm increasingly thinking that I need to learn some liturgy. My spirituality & praxis is very Eucharistic, but I'm now hankering to know how the nuts & bolts (horrible phrase I know) of the Mass came to be where they now are.

I'd welcome suggested reading. Also, is there a "mass In Slow motion" or "mass with commentary" anywhere on the web? I can't find it but maybe my Google-fu has been sapped by the summer heat...

Thanks in advance to all,

SSS

Posted by Pancho (# 13533) on :

quote:
Originally posted by sososlowly:
Also, is there a "mass In Slow motion" or "mass with commentary" anywhere on the web? I can't find it but maybe my Google-fu has been sapped by the summer heat...

If you type "mass In Slow motion" in quotation marks into the Google search box you get 36,400 results in return with some very relevant links on the first page.

If you type "mass with commentary" within quotation marks into the Google search box you get 29,200 resutlts. The links on the first page are mainly books and a video for purchase.

Posted by Vade Mecum (# 17688) on :

Dix: Shape of the Liturgy,
Senn: Christian Liturgy,
Study editions of the Roman Missal,
General Instruction to the same (GIRM),
Youtube.

Enough to be going on with.

Posted by Prester John (# 5502) on :

I would recommend this and this.

Posted by sososlowly (# 17592) on :

Thanks all. Most helpful *dives into newly constructed reading list*

SSS

Posted by Photo Geek (# 9757) on :

Then there's The Freeze-Frame Mass .

Posted by Qoheleth. (# 9265) on :

Anything by Aidan Kavanagh

Posted by leo (# 1458) on :

seconded - though if you take him seriously, you have to remove your wristwatch and wedding ring before vesting.

Posted by Thurible (# 3206) on :

Does AK write with those wearing wedding rings in mind?

Thurible

Posted by Qoheleth. (# 9265) on :

Methinks not, but I suspect leo writes mutatis mutandis.

Posted by Mr. Rob (# 5823) on :

quote:
Originally posted by sososlowly:
This maybe slightly too broad a question for Ecclesiantics - if so happy to be moved on gracefully by hosts...

I'm increasingly thinking that I need to learn some liturgy. My spirituality & praxis is very Eucharistic, but I'm now hankering to know how the nuts & bolts (horrible phrase I know) of the Mass came to be where they now are.

I'd welcome suggested reading. Also, is there a "mass In Slow motion" or "mass with commentary" anywhere on the web? I can't find it but maybe my Google-fu has been sapped by the summer heat...

Thanks in advance to all,

SSS

SSS, the very best way is to attended Mass and watch carefully. Then get trained to properly serve a Mass (as in acolyte) and then WATCH the priest carefully. Don't be all pious, but watch. Repeat and repeat and repeat. Copy. Best way.

Posted by venbede (# 16669) on :

I rather depends who you watch.

Posted by leo (# 1458) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Thurible:

Thurible

Well, he would be used to married deacons.

I went through a phase of removing my wrist watch (I don't wear any jewellery) but I need it to keep my preaching to a decent, short time.

Posted by Crotalus (# 4959) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Thurible:

Bishop Burnham used to remove his wedding ring when saying Mass, if memory serves.

Posted by Thurible (# 3206) on :

He didn't wear it all for more than the last half of his episcopate. (Lost or 'shrunk'? I can't remember.)

Thurible

Posted by Hairy Biker (# 12086) on :

If you want something basic, you could try this site.

I've noticed that the links are broken, so here is the list of chapters:

the Gathering and Preparation of the people of God
the Ministry of the Word
the Ministry of the Sacrament
the Dismissal

© Ship of Fools 2016