Thread: My organ malfunctions in hot weather Board: Oblivion / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=70;t=025875

Posted by Qoheleth. (# 9265) on :

The UK is currently experiencing an official heatwave, and our 100 yr old pneumatic action organ doesn't like it. It sits high in a transept-type space, facing south with all three sides receiving direct sun during the day. The nave air temperature is currently 24'C. The wedding Widor yesterday was punctuated with a pedal cipher, and odd erratic behaviour followed today.

As emergency first aid, I've rigged up a temporary humidifier under the Great pallets - two buckets of water and a towel as a "wick". Is this likely to be of any help? I wonder if Shiply organists have any other tricks up their surplices?

Thanks

Posted by Baptist Trainfan (# 15128) on :

I'm not an organist and, anyway, our instrument's action is not pneumatic. Certainly we have tuning problems in hot (and cold) weather but that is to be expected.

For what it's worth, though, I know that we always have a bucket of water inside the organ to add humidity - although I think the "system" must be slightly more complex than that!

[ 21. July 2013, 15:46: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Posted by Organ Builder (# 12478) on :

Humidification is almost certainly the key. You might find it more helpful to put your water buckets near the blower intake.

Is the action tubular-pneumatic, or are there some kind of electrical contacts on your pedal keys? It's possible a twisting key could cause contacts to be too close, which might cause the cypher.

You are almost certainly correct that all these things are related to the weather.

Posted by L'organist (# 17338) on :

Qoheleth

Not wishing to teach you to suck eggs, but you know you have 2 problems: lack of humidity and direct heating from bright, hot sunlight. You need three things:

First, there should be blackout blinds made for the windows around the organ - these don't have to be black but the special material absorbs the light and lowers the heating effect.

Second, you should monitor the hygrometer readings on a daily basis during this heatwave.

Third, explain the situation to the Churchwardens and get them to arrange for/ help with emergency measures such as troughs of water around the organ, to be kept topped up until the humidity returns to normal and your static humidifier can cope. (I assume you do have a humidifier fitted?)

I wouldn't advise putting anything in the organ itself - an accident waiting to happen and the proximity of such small amounts of water won't make any difference so keep it out of the workings.

What does your Diocesan Organ Advisor say? If you find them less than helpful remember there is always the Association of Independent Organ Advisors - aioa.org.uk - who I'm sure would be happy to help.

As for the ciphers, these may not be caused by the heat... [Biased]

Posted by Angloid (# 159) on :

Since weather like this occurs approximately every Preston Guild, and by the time you've taken all these precautions it will be cold and wet again, why bother?

Posted by leo (# 1458) on :

My DVD recorder can't get TV or Radio signals at the mo. either so I've lost lots of programmes.

End of tangent!

Posted by The Silent Acolyte (# 1158) on :

Every Preston Guild for those not in the know.

Posted by Pigwidgeon (# 10192) on :

I receive many emails offering to help with my malfunctioning organ -- one which, as a woman, I don't even possess. But I doubt that their remedies would be of use.

However, I see that England is ending their dry spell next weekend (when I arrive [Frown] ) which will probably be of more help.

Posted by Qoheleth. (# 9265) on :

Thanks for the comments and suggestions.

We can talk to the DOA and the tuners, and the weather will - undoubtedly - change in due course. It's the short-term emergency measures I need to work on, with another wedding next Saturday and Sunday services to follow. The building usually lags about a week behind the outside air temperature, both rising and falling.

To L'O, I can say that there are no windows to be blindfolded; the heat travels through the brickwork very nicely. There's never been a humidifier, but typically they only function when the blower's running.

Meanwhile, selective registration will be the order of the day. Fortunately, the absence of casework means that action is quite accessible to stop a cipher.

Posted by L'organist (# 17338) on :

Q
I've never encountered a humidifier that only functions when the blower is working; rather, they have always been independent and work on the basis of an inbuilt hygrometer which sets the thing off when the humidity falls below a certain level...

Posted by Mr. Rob (# 5823) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Qoheleth.:

The UK is currently experiencing an official heatwave, and our 100 yr old pneumatic action organ doesn't like it. It sits high in a transept-type space, facing south with all three sides receiving direct sun during the day. The nave air temperature is currently 24'C. The wedding Widor yesterday was punctuated with a pedal cipher, and odd erratic behaviour followed today.

As emergency first aid, I've rigged up a temporary humidifier under the Great pallets - two buckets of water and a towel as a "wick". Is this likely to be of any help? I wonder if Shiply organists have any other tricks up their surplices?

Thanks

I would think LESS humidiity is in order. But by all means get an experienced organ tuner to advise you on the matter.

Posted by ORGANMEISTER (# 6621) on :

We always have problems in the late autumn when the nave heating system starts to pump out warm dry air. It's usually the pedal reeds that go out. They sound like bass kazoos. It's just something we've learned to deal with. Call your organ service person.

© Ship of Fools 2016