Thread: Disestablishment of C of E Board: Oblivion / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=70;t=026051

Posted by would love to belong (# 16747) on :

Should the Church of England be disestablished?

Discuss.

Pixie, could you start the ball rolling on this difficult topic? My guess is that you will be agin it, but I may be wrong there. Are you an antidisestablishmentarian or not?

[ 06. September 2013, 22:26: Message edited by: would love to belong ]

Posted by Anglican't (# 15292) on :

No.

Posted by SvitlanaV2 (# 16967) on :

There should be a public debate about disestablishment. I'm surprised that so little has been said about it, especially since criticising the CofE seems to be a national sport.

I tend to say I'm all for it, but if it really looked as if it were going to happen I'd be quite anxious. What I hope is that the CofE is quietly developing a plan of action so that if (when) disestablishment appears on the horizon the Church won't find itself in a total funk. That would be dreadful.

Posted by pererin (# 16956) on :

No. People like being able to get married in the parish church they don't attend.

Posted by Doublethink (# 1984) on :

quote:
Originally posted by would love to belong:
Should the Church of England be disestablished?

Discuss.

Pixie, could you start the ball rolling on this difficult topic? My guess is that you will be agin it, but I may be wrong there. Are you an antidisestablishmentarian or not?

Hosting

Using hostile diminutive nicknames for shipmates is a personal attack violating commandments 3 & 4 the only place on the ship where that is acceptable is Hell. Don't do it here.

/Hosting

Doublethink
Purgatory Host

Posted by Plique-à-jour (# 17717) on :

Off the top of my head, I think the Church of England should remain established because:

A: Without the concomitant requirement to be morally intelligible to secular society, I don't know how much progress liberal Anglicans would make. See the re-vote on woman bishops.

B: Disestablished, I doubt it would remain a single denomination. (Yes, I can see the implied contradiction between these two points.)

C: It's good for the country to hear voices of opposition which aren't compromised by wanting to get elected (however much they may be compromised by other things). An Anglican priest recently got arrested trespassing in protest at a airbase. That means something different with an established church than it would mean without it.

However, I can also see the arguments against establishment, and I think I may have previously used some of them myself.

[ 06. September 2013, 23:42: Message edited by: Plique-à-jour ]

Posted by Jade Constable (# 17175) on :

Query - in the future, if our monarch was styled 'Defender of Faith' and not 'Defender of the Faith' (or indeed we had no monarch), would it be possible for there to be more than one established church?

I am not opposed to there being an established church, but I'm not especially comfortable with the lack of voice other churches get. Representatives of mainstream churches (and indeed other faiths) should be in the House of Lords, for example.

Posted by Augustine the Aleut (# 1472) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Jade Constable:
Query - in the future, if our monarch was styled 'Defender of Faith' and not 'Defender of the Faith' (or indeed we had no monarch), would it be possible for there to be more than one established church?

I am not opposed to there being an established church, but I'm not especially comfortable with the lack of voice other churches get. Representatives of mainstream churches (and indeed other faiths) should be in the House of Lords, for example.

IIRC there is already a second established church, the Church of Scotland. Other countries manage with multiple establishment (Finland, with Lutherans and Orthodox) and Germany with Evangelicals, Lutherans, and Roman Catholics.

If one is thinking of representation through the Lords, that can be done either non-systematically (chief rabbis, for example, usually get the ermine) or systematically-- although RC clerics are forbidden these days from accepting appointments. Certainly, prominent Methodists have received peerages and there is no reason why theologians or philosophers could not take seats-- this could be easily extended without waiting for HoL reforms.

Posted by IngoB (# 8700) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Augustine the Aleut:
Other countries manage with multiple establishment (Finland, with Lutherans and Orthodox) and Germany with Evangelicals, Lutherans, and Roman Catholics.

There is no established church in Germany. The German tax-collecting deal is simply something different. It is basically available to any (quasi-)religious community which can demonstrate that it (a) provides an institutional framework that is likely to last and (b) obeys the constitutional laws. Nine religious communities use this deal, including for example the German Jewish communities, whereas seventeen others could use it but do not, including for example the Salvation Army or the Society of Free Spirits.

Posted by Crœsos (# 238) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Plique-à-jour:
C: It's good for the country to hear voices of opposition which aren't compromised by wanting to get elected (however much they may be compromised by other things). An Anglican priest recently got arrested trespassing in protest at a airbase. That means something different with an established church than it would mean without it.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but isn't the whole point of having an established state religion that it's part of "the Establishment"? You know, insiders, not a "voice of opposition".

[ 07. September 2013, 02:05: Message edited by: Crœsos ]

Posted by Gee D (# 13815) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Augustine the Aleut:
quote:

IIRC there is already a second established church, the Church of Scotland. Other countries manage with multiple establishment (Finland, with Lutherans and Orthodox) and Germany with Evangelicals, Lutherans, and Roman Catholics.

Indeed, a good way to experiment with disestablishment would be to break the link in Scotland - where establishment did nothing at all to prevent splits and divisions in the C19.

If I may be so bold as to quote myself on why having an established state religion is a bad idea:

quote:
The two options for an official state religion are either the state becomes obsessed with determining who is really an adherent and who is just saying so to garner benefits from the state (the Inquisitorial option) or the state religion eliminates dissent by becoming so fluffy, toothless, and content-free that there are no strenuous dissenters (the Anglican option).
In short, state-backed religion is bad for both the state and for religion.

quote:
Originally posted by Crœsos:
quote:

Not to put too fine a point on it, but isn't the whole point of having an established state religion that it's part of "the Establishment"? You know, insiders, not a "voice of opposition".
The point is that many Anglican priests are voices of opposition, voices which attract more attention than they would coming from elsewhere.

[ 07. September 2013, 03:59: Message edited by: Plique-à-jour ]

quote:
If I may be so bold as to quote myself on why having an established state religion is a bad idea:

quote:
The two options for an official state religion are either the state becomes obsessed with determining who is really an adherent and who is just saying so to garner benefits from the state (the Inquisitorial option) or the state religion eliminates dissent by becoming so fluffy, toothless, and content-free that there are no strenuous dissenters (the Anglican option).
Anglicanism as a coherent intellectual tradition begins with the acceptance of dissent, not attempts to crush it. It's flexible, not fluffy, and this is a strength, not a weakness.

quote:
Anglicanism as a coherent intellectual tradition begins with the acceptance of dissent, not attempts to crush it.

No, Anglicanism begins with Henry VIII needing a new wife and breaking with the Catholic church. I'm pretty sure that a lot of what Hank8 did would qualify as "crushing dissent".

quote:
It's flexible, not fluffy, and this is a strength, not a weakness.

If dissent is so critical, why the insistence on having the government's seal of approval? And I'm pretty sure that there's more dissent outside the Anglican church than in it. For example, I doubt Anglican clergy can openly deny the divinity of Jesus (to pick one example) in the manner a rabbi or imam would.

quote:
quote:
Anglicanism as a coherent intellectual tradition begins with the acceptance of dissent, not attempts to crush it.

No, Anglicanism begins with Henry VIII needing a new wife and breaking with the Catholic church. I'm pretty sure that a lot of what Hank8 did would qualify as "crushing dissent".
I said as a coherent intellectual tradition, I'm not talking about its origins, which are well known. The beginning of Anglicanism meaning something other than 'for Pope, read King' or opportunist wrecking is Elizabeth's time, when you could pay your money and take your choice. Excusing the abuses of power isn't much of a challenge or an achievement; establishing freedom of religion where none had existed is.

quote:
If dissent is so critical, why the insistence on having the government's seal of approval? And I'm pretty sure that there's more dissent outside the Anglican church than in it. For example, I doubt Anglican clergy can openly deny the divinity of Jesus (to pick one example) in the manner a rabbi or imam would.

Not a seal of approval; an opportunity to be heard at all. I'm not talking about theological dissent, I'm talking about real, political dissent which makes a difference to people's lives.

[ 07. September 2013, 05:27: Message edited by: Plique-à-jour ]

quote:
quote:

Not a seal of approval; an opportunity to be heard at all. I'm not talking about theological dissent, I'm talking about real, political dissent which makes a difference to people's lives.
If there's no "opportunity to be heard at all" outside of Anglicanism, how is that not a government seal of approval? I have to be skeptical of anything billed as government approved political dissent.

And why not talk about theological dissent? A system which deliberately marginalizes rival religious beliefs is not one I'd call accepting of dissent.

quote:
If there's no "opportunity to be heard at all" outside of Anglicanism, how is that not a government seal of approval? I have to be skeptical of anything billed as government approved political dissent.

And why not talk about theological dissent? A system which deliberately marginalizes rival religious beliefs is not one I'd call accepting of dissent.

There's no opportunity for priests to be heard. Do you live in Britain?

Because theological dissent has absolutely no impact on the lives of 99.9% of English people. The Church of England, to the extent that it's a religious organisation, is no less marginalised than any other 'system', and it doesn't do any marginalising. As a element of the Establishment, it gets media coverage, as something happening in 'public life'. This means priests can make meaningful political interventions. Without that status, there would be no avowedly Christian perspective in public life. It's as simple as that. The people in Britain who are really serious about opposing the established status aren't trying to bring more religions 'in', they're trying to shut all religions out.

Posted by The Midge (# 2398) on :

I think the real reason is that the politicians have looked at the knock on effect on all kinds of other legislation and thought 'OMG this is going to keep us sitting on allnighters for years' Lets leave it for another parliament to sort out.'

Posted by Palimpsest (# 16772) on :

As an American firmly in the no establishment of religion camp, it seems there are two parts to this.

What does disestablishment do to the Church?
What does not having an established religion do to the country?

I'll leave the first to those here who are sniping at the Anglican Church except to say, it would probably be good to the surviving church.

'm not sure what it does to the nation . There's always been a rash of people complaining about lawsuits against prayer in school in the US with the "what's wrong with letting them pray?"
What would disestablishment look like in the UK?
Would it be like Northern US.. no clergy officiating at public events or a rotating religion version of the current establishment toss a priest into Government events?

quote:
Originally posted by Palimpsest:

I'll leave the first to those here who are sniping at the Anglican Church except to say, it would probably be good to the surviving church.

'm not sure what it does to the nation . There's always been a rash of people complaining about lawsuits against prayer in school in the US with the "what's wrong with letting them pray?"
What would disestablishment look like in the UK?
Would it be like Northern US.. no clergy officiating at public events or a rotating religion version of the current establishment toss a priest into Government events?

Well, this is the crux of the matter. To Americans, the CofE's established status probably sounds like an unfair monopoly of the public role of religion. In fact, the established status is the only reason there is any public role for religion, short of being an easy hot potato on cheap TV and radio discussion shows. The Church of England wouldn't be replaced with anything. Disestablishment itself would be conceived of as the removal, not the liberation, of religion.

I don't think the end of establishment would be good to the surviving church, I think it would presage its breakup into different liturgical/ideological parts. I can't think of any reason other than proximity to the cultural discourse which would induce people as different as Nicky Gumbel and Giles Fraser to live and work in the same denomination. I may be wrong.

[ 07. September 2013, 06:53: Message edited by: Plique-à-jour ]

Posted by Touchstone (# 3560) on :

Would someone qualified to do so please explain what actual difference disestablishment would mean to the punters in the pews?

The Church in Wales has been disestablished for nearly a century, and I see no noticeable difference between it and the C of E (I attend churches in both) The C in W is probably a bit poorer, but that was because it was also disendowed when it was disestablished (it got shafted good and proper). As I recall, the point at issue in Wales was non-conformists being required to pay tithes to their local anglican vicar, which seems rather quaint now, to say the least.

People in Wales still expect to get married in and buried from their local anglican church, even if they never go there. This and the church schools are most people's points of contact with the church, and it's all exactly the same in both provinces. So if disestablishment happened, would anyone notice except a few church geeks?

Posted by Dafyd (# 5549) on :

quote:
quote:
You don't have established religion in the States. You have Rick Warren and John Spong.

Posted by Baptist Trainfan (# 15128) on :

Surely the issues about "people getting married" etc. are peripheral. The real questions are to do with Monarchy (who would do the Coronation?), the Legislature (the Lords Spiritual) and issues such as Parliament having to vote on changes to the Prayer Book etc.

As a Nonconformist I see no point to Establishment ... yet, as others have said above, Disestablishment might well send the Secularists into paroxysms of joy and give the unintended message that religion is not important.

Posted by Forthview (# 12376) on :

There is no 'established'church in Scotland.
There is,however, the National Church of Scotland.

Posted by Enoch (# 14322) on :

I've said in previous threads on this that disestablishment, shedding the clinging embrace of power, might be good for the church, but would be bad for the state. Unlike Wales, where it was about 'which church?', under modern conditions, in England, it would be about corporate national apostasy, the state throwing off any sense that it is accountable to God.

From this very morning's readings (Wis 5:17-6:11 with all due respects to Sir Kevin who uses a different programme), addressed to all rulers,
quote:
3 For power is given you of the Lord, and sovereignty from the Highest, who shall try your works, and search out your counsels. (AV to spare hosts copyright anxieties)
and, a bit further on,
quote:
6 For mercy will soon pardon the meanest: but mighty men shall be mightily tormented. 7 For he which is Lord over all shall fear no man’s person, neither shall he stand in awe of any man’s greatness: for he hath made the small and great, and careth for all alike.
It's also very dangerous for the state and for us who live under its authority, since it invites God's wrath on the public weal, which is very bad for all of us irrespective of whether we have any control over the decision.

[ 07. September 2013, 09:45: Message edited by: Enoch ]

Gosh, I start this as a joke thread and you Anglicans just go on and on and on and on discussing...... Don't you get bored of it?

One thing I have noticed is that, in all your lengthy discussions and Sharing Of Deep Wisdom, the words "Christ" or "Jesus" are never uttered (except as oaths). Sad, sad, sad.

quote:
Well well well... It seems as though you have once again, despite your best efforts, become a pawn in one of my rather elaborate ruses, and it seems as though the end result of said ruse has left your state of being of a lesser quality than before you were dealt the card hidden up my sleeve, while being none the wiser! And yes, while it is true that you will eventually recover from this recent turn of events, it remains unclear whether or not your social status on this website will remain at its current level, or if it will take a turn for the worst! After all is said and done, at the end of the day, you will have to accept the fact that you got the short end of the deal! I hold no remorse or regret, for I am and always shall be... A MASTER RUSEMAN!

lel

Posted by CL (# 16145) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Touchstone:
Would someone qualified to do so please explain what actual difference disestablishment would mean to the punters in the pews?

The Church in Wales has been disestablished for nearly a century, and I see no noticeable difference between it and the C of E (I attend churches in both) The C in W is probably a bit poorer, but that was because it was also disendowed when it was disestablished (it got shafted good and proper). As I recall, the point at issue in Wales was non-conformists being required to pay tithes to their local anglican vicar, which seems rather quaint now, to say the least.

People in Wales still expect to get married in and buried from their local anglican church, even if they never go there. This and the church schools are most people's points of contact with the church, and it's all exactly the same in both provinces. So if disestablishment happened, would anyone notice except a few church geeks?

It boils down to ego and the delusion that the CoE is still relevant. Nobody pays a blind bit of attention to what CoE clerics say, just as is the case with clergy of other denominations. It's a peculiarly English Anglican conceit to believe otherwise.

quote:
Originally posted by CL:
It boils down to ego and the delusion that the CoE is still relevant. Nobody pays a blind bit of attention to what CoE clerics say, just as is the case with clergy of other denominations. It's a peculiarly English Anglican conceit to believe otherwise.

At present, people still have the option of actively deciding to ignore it. Not all do. It's also vital for democracy that unpopular sentiments are heard.

Posted by The Midge (# 2398) on :

Is going to judge England Apostate for cutting ties with the CofE? Is God going to say "I can send in the fire and brimstone now that all those nominal Anglicans are no longer ticking the CofE box on the census"?

The CofE isn't supposed a national eternal-life insurance premium.

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by CL:

At present, people still have the option of actively deciding to ignore it. Not all do. It's also vital for democracy that unpopular sentiments are heard.
Too right.

Posted by Gwalchmai (# 17802) on :

I understand that other Christian denominations and other religions (I refuse to use that ghastly politically correct term "faith groups") would oppose disestablishment because they consider that an established C of E gives a voice to religious concerns at the highest level.

Posted by Augustine the Aleut (# 1472) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Forthview:
There is no 'established'church in Scotland.
There is,however, the National Church of Scotland.

I'm not certain I see the difference (nor do I see the difference between establishment and the state funding secured by German law). Does establishment mean state participation in senior appointments? Or is it a situation where all agree that there is an establishment?

I'm no legal expert on what "establishment" means in a church context. It may mean different things in different jurisdictions.

The Church of Scotland had certain privileges vis a vis the State (not sure what they were exactly, but there was a land tax called a teind which went into CofS coffers, which might have been one such privilege) but all that was swept away in 1921 by legislation.

There has never been any Church of Scotland representation in the legislative arrangements of the UK post the Union in 1707. Nor in the devolution settlement contained in the Scotland Act 1998.

The CofS is called the national church in scotland, but I don't think that it has any legal bearing on anything.

Posted by daronmedway (# 3012) on :

quote:

Ironically Henry VIII was given that title by the Pope for "writing" a crappy defence of Roman Catholicism contra Luther before the split with Rome. And it was never intended to be an hereditary title, so I'd be happy for it to go all together.

PS There is no state funding of the C of S, but individual congregations (and probably the central bureaucracy too) are registered charities with OSCR and get the usual tax breaks.

Posted by Barefoot Friar (# 13100) on :

quote:
PS There is no state funding of the C of S, but individual congregations (and probably the central bureaucracy too) are registered charities with OSCR and get the usual tax breaks.

That's the way it is here in the US. Churches and certain other non-profit organizations are tax exempt under IRC 501(c)3. This allows donations to be written off of the donor's tax return as a tax deduction, but it precludes the non-profit from making political statements or telling constituents voting advice in most cases.

Posted by Forthview (# 12376) on :

In the UK many charities,not necessarily religious based, are able to claim tax back from the state if tax paying donors have signed a Gift Aid Declaration.

The National Church of Scotland is completely independent of the state.It claims about 9% of the population as members,but one should also recognise that over 40% of the Scottish population would claim some relationship with the Church of Scotland.

The Head of State,the Queen, sends an official representative,Lord High Commissioner,to the annual General Assembly of the National Church(or indeed may attend in person).The monarch (or representative) has no right to speak,unless invited to do so.The State does not appoint any of the clergy of the National Church of Scotland.

Certain clerics are appointed as chaplains to Her Majesty. I assume that they are all Church of Scot
land clerics but do not know.I would count these as positions of honour,however,just like some RC monsignori who are counted as domestic chaplains to the pope.

Posted by Doublethink (# 1984) on :

quote:
Gosh, I start this as a joke thread and you Anglicans just go on and on and on and on discussing...... Don't you get bored of it?

One thing I have noticed is that, in all your lengthy discussions and Sharing Of Deep Wisdom, the words "Christ" or "Jesus" are never uttered (except as oaths). Sad, sad, sad.

I am flagging this for the attention of the admins.

Doublethink
Purgatory Host

Posted by Anglican't (# 15292) on :

quote:
Gosh, I start this as a joke thread and you Anglicans just go on and on and on and on discussing......

I suppose that's always a possible side effect of posting something in a forum that bills itself as a 'space for serious debate'.

Posted by ExclamationMark (# 14715) on :

quote:
[QUOTE]The point is that many Anglican priests are voices of opposition, voices which attract more attention than they would coming from elsewhere.

What have they been able to change or affect in the last 20 years?

quote:
Originally posted by Gwalchmai:
I understand that other Christian denominations and other religions (I refuse to use that ghastly politically correct term "faith groups") would oppose disestablishment because they consider that an established C of E gives a voice to religious concerns at the highest level.

Baptists are radical dissenters by theological conviction and practical application. We'd be more than happy to see disestablishment. We see an established church as an arm of the state and hence unlikely to make the kind of radical waves we are looking for.

quote:
[QUOTE] I can't think of any reason other than proximity to the cultural discourse which would induce people as different as Nicky Gumbel and Giles Fraser to live and work in the same denomination. I may be wrong.

But do they anyway? Liberals, Anglo Catholics and evangelicals are always having a go at each other, wherever they co exist. Isn't it better to see a divide which may not stop the fighting but which actually stops the in fighting?

quote:
Originally posted by ExclamationMark:
quote:
[QUOTE]The point is that many Anglican priests are voices of opposition, voices which attract more attention than they would coming from elsewhere.

The same question can be asked of Baptist, Methodist, RC or anyone else's clergy. They don't seem to have had more influence by being free of establishment.

[ 07. September 2013, 13:13: Message edited by: Enoch ]

quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
The real questions are to do with Monarchy (who would do the Coronation?), the Legislature (the Lords Spiritual) and issues such as Parliament having to vote on changes to the Prayer Book etc.

Don't worry

Monarchy - dump it at the same time. It's merely a ceremonial cypher in today's world. I think the CofE and Monarchy have to be treated together: there're interlinked.

Lords Spiritual - ditto or seek individual nomination/election from the faith groups in the UK.

Prayer Book - no state religion. The Church sorts its own books and liturgy out.

Not hard is it? (Well, not for a republican anyway).

Posted by Jengie Jon (# 273) on :

Yeh but we have been outside the establishment which is not the case in CofE. The question is whether that has made any difference to your ability to change anything. It would appear not.

Jengie

quote:

The CofE is a minority faith group in the UK. A review of the nature and extent of its representation in our society is long overdue.

quote:
Baptists are radical dissenters by theological conviction and practical application. We'd be more than happy to see disestablishment.

Theoretically, yes. In practice there are many Baptists who have lost that "cutting edge" and are happy with the status quo. Some of those have never really imbibed Dissenting principles, others think "it's a good thing to have bishops in the Lords as they can voice a Christian perspective".

There is also the whole issue of "civic religion", of Christianity aka the CofE endorsing Royal weddings, Remembrance services and the like. Yes, I know that representatives of other faiths and denominations get invited to take part, but it's clear who is running the party. It also puts Christian words in the mouths of those who do not really believe them and tends to endorse the idea that to be English is to be Christian (unless you deliberately opt out).

Posted by Jengie Jon (# 273) on :

Be careful Baptist Trainfan, that is not Civic Religion. Civic religion really was the creation of Northern and Midland Industrial towns. As such it was actually Non-Conformist who dominated. In Sheffield Methodists, in Manchester Congregationalists, I am quite sure the Baptists elsewhere. These people owned the industry and built the civic institutions including Universities, Hospitals and Churches. Those churches were the ones that practiced the Civic Religion. In Birmingham it probably had its greatest exponent in R W Dale a Congregationalists at Carrs Lane Birmingham, but then it was said of him that the way he voted determined the way Birmingham voted and as a Congregationalist that was Liberal.

It was a localism that we do not see in current British politics but also with a social conscience.

Jengie

quote:

Just a humble bit of advice (and I hope it's not too late!): you should be quietly grateful that people are taking this thread seriously. IMO disestablishment is an extremely important issue, to non-Anglicans as well as Anglicans, and it deserves far more than joke treatment.

quote:

Since this is your thread, why not explain to us how you think disestablishment might aid or hinder the cause of Jesus Christ?

Speaking personally, I'd like to think that disestablishment would allow the Jesus message to breathe more vibrantly. Plique-à-jour is right to say that the nation largely ignores any Christian pronouncements that don't emanate from the CofE (or occasionally the RCC). However, I believe that the privileged status of the CofE in itself contributes to the indifference towards other denominations.

I'm intrigued by the supply-side theory of church development that some American sociologists have proposed. They say that American religious vitality exists precisely because there is no state or quasi-state church. The American religious free-for-all creates high standards and competition among the churches, and doesn't allow any one denomination to dominate the discourse, culturally or politically. It's a controversial thesis (links are available) but I suspect there's a lot of truth in it.

quote:
quote:

The CofE is a minority faith group in the UK. A review of the nature and extent of its representation in our society is long overdue.
Baptists are more of a minority [Biased]

However, I meant 'mainstream' in the sense of historic denominations - I would include the RCC, Orthodox, Methodists, Baptists etc in that.

Posted by Spike (# 36) on :

quote:

OK enough is enough. That is a pretty open and blatant admission of trolling.

Bye bye

Spike
SoF Admin

quote:
Originally posted by SvitlanaV2:
[QUOTE]I'm intrigued by the supply-side theory of church development that some American sociologists have proposed. They say that American religious vitality exists precisely because there is no state or quasi-state church. The American religious free-for-all creates high standards and competition among the churches, and doesn't allow any one denomination to dominate the discourse, culturally or politically.

Having studied this myself, (Stark & Bainbridge) I don't like it. Is it not in danger of creating churches and religious movements around market-oriented charismatic entrepreneurs, and of becoming dangerously theologically populist in its need to attract the punters?

Having said that, I think that is definitely happening in the UK - even among (some) Anglicans - as the State Church lesses its penetration of broad society.

quote:
It's also vital for democracy that unpopular sentiments are heard.

Which is beside the point, unless you're arguing that not only should unpopular sentiments be heard but that they should have an officially-mandated government platform for airing those sentiments. Does this same reasoning apply to, for example, neo-Nazi groups? Their sentiments are exceedingly unpopular.

Posted by Sioni Sais (# 5713) on :

quote:
quote:

Which is beside the point, unless you're arguing that not only should unpopular sentiments be heard but that they should have an officially-mandated government platform for airing those sentiments. Does this same reasoning apply to, for example, neo-Nazi groups? Their sentiments are exceedingly unpopular.
There have been times when that is not so and even now many of the extreme nationalist political parties have their neo-Nazi or neo-Fascist elements, such as Italy's Forza Nuova, France's Front National, the UK's BNP and elements of UKIP.

quote:
Theoretically, yes. In practice there are many Baptists who have lost that "cutting edge" and are happy with the status quo. Some of those have never really imbibed Dissenting principles, others think "it's a good thing to have bishops in the Lords as they can voice a Christian perspective".

There is also the whole issue of "civic religion", of Christianity aka the CofE endorsing Royal weddings, Remembrance services and the like. Yes, I know that representatives of other faiths and denominations get invited to take part, but it's clear who is running the party. It also puts Christian words in the mouths of those who do not really believe them and tends to endorse the idea that to be English is to be Christian (unless you deliberately opt out).

Baptist Trainfan, I regret I agree with Jengie and not with you. If we are talking about dissent as a political movement rather than pietism and being a 'peculiar people', that is something that derives its initial impetus from the Civil War. Presbyterians and Independents differed on some things, but both took it for granted that there should be a close relationship between religion and the state. They just disagreed how, and agreed that this should be more congregational, and should neither involve Bishops nor a system of separate church courts parallel to the ordinary ones.

Both also assumed that one of the failings of the establishment both before 1642 and after 1662, was that the state had too much of the upper hand in this relationship. In that respect, perhaps the question is more, "The traditional dissenting ideal for the relationship between church and state is closer to post-Tridentine Catholicism than the modus vivendi to which the CofE is accustomed", Discuss.

quote:
Originally posted by Jengie Jon:
Yeh but we have been outside the establishment which is not the case in CofE. The question is whether that has made any difference to your ability to change anything. It would appear not. Jengie

Agreed but that's part of the problem - if we were all in or out it would make it easier. Some of us will never be in for all sorts of reasons so I suggest we work together from outside. Too much of the CofE has too much to lose by speaking out from within - it would have greater clout speaking out from without, with the partnership of other faith groups.

Unfortunately establishment breeds complacency and smugness in some quarters: perhaps even a 2 tier system where one group is played off against the CofE where views on moral and other issues differ. (The debate on women bishops is pretty laughable to most Baptists tbh: it's over 90 years old for us).

It would be far better if we all had to work on the same playing field. Yes, you'd see Anglican churches close but it would be leaner, meaner and hopefully more dynamic and able to relate to the people around.

Establishment is just a historical construct that most people will not recognise even if it goes tomorrow with a fanfare of trumpets. Few will even care.

quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:
[QUOTE]"The traditional dissenting ideal for the relationship between church and state is closer to post-Tridentine Catholicism than the modus vivendi to which the CofE is accustomed", Discuss.

Traditional is one thing, contemporary is another.

Yes you have a point but there is a deeper link with Anabaptism than is realised - as well as with Wycliffe and the Lollards. In the time of the commonwealth you had diggers and levellers too - proto socialists, if not communist. The latter is more the kind of Anabaptist style of radical dissent that we embrace these days.

quote:
quote:
[QUOTE]I'm intrigued by the supply-side theory of church development that some American sociologists have proposed. They say that American religious vitality exists precisely because there is no state or quasi-state church. The American religious free-for-all creates high standards and competition among the churches, and doesn't allow any one denomination to dominate the discourse, culturally or politically.

Having studied this myself, (Stark & Bainbridge) I don't like it. Is it not in danger of creating churches and religious movements around market-oriented charismatic entrepreneurs, and of becoming dangerously theologically populist in its need to attract the punters?

Having said that, I think that is definitely happening in the UK - even among (some) Anglicans - as the State Church lesses its penetration of broad society.

American church is market driven and uses all the fell techniques of that secularist material agenda. Those of us who have a nodding acquaintance to marketing recognise its stamp on American church culture and, increasingly on the British. The church planting movement was little less than expansionist parachuting, driven by Peter Wagner's and Robert Schuller's positivism. (Find out what people want and give it to them).

British churches tend (generally) to have broader social mixes than American ones: American churches generally tend to be more homogenous.

quote:
[QUOTE] Baptists are more of a minority [Biased]

However, I meant 'mainstream' in the sense of historic denominations - I would include the RCC, Orthodox, Methodists, Baptists etc in that.

Yeah Jade, I know but legend has it we are growing!

My point was a bit bigger than that - it was more about our "right" as denominations to speak out when adherence is now way less than 10% of the population.

I suppose my radical unorthodoxy means I'd personally rather be a challenging minority than a comfortable and complacent majority. The church in the UK is getting smaller but those in it may be getting stronger - some of the dead wood and the compromise has gone.

quote:
Baptist Trainfan, I regret I agree with Jengie and not with you.

Well, I stand corrected (you put it so nicely!)

But what do you feel about my basic point - the "Christianising" of Civic occasions?

quote:
... But what do you feel about my basic point - the "Christianising" of Civic occasions?

That's a very post-Enlightenment view of things. Nobody in the seventeenth century or earlier, would have thought that saying prayers on a public occasion was christianising a civic occasion. Nor would many people since, until very recently. Nor would Solomon or whoever wrote his Wisdom if he didn't (see my citation this morning). They would have assumed that it was better, and a good thing, that public officials publicly acknowledged that they and the civic role they were exercising were accountable to God.

As for those who did not fully believe what they were saying, the prevailing view until quite recently, by established church and dissent alike, would have been that that was irrelevant because they ought to believe.

In the Civil War, both sides sang psalms before going into battle,
"Let God arise and then his foes,
- will turn themselves to flight.
His enemies for fear shall run
- and scatter out of sight".
They had read their Old Testament and took it for granted that God gave victory to the righteous.

quote:
That's a very post-Enlightenment view of things. Nobody in the seventeenth century or earlier, would have thought that saying prayers on a public occasion was christianising a civic occasion. Nor would many people since, until very recently. Nor would Solomon or whoever wrote his Wisdom if he didn't (see my citation this morning). They would have assumed that it was better, and a good thing, that public officials publicly acknowledged that they and the civic role they were exercising were accountable to God.

It goes a bit further than that. The premise of established religion in the seventeenth century (or earlier) was not just that officials were "accountable to God" but that they were exercising their authority God's behalf. The obviously corollary is that anyone opposing the state was also opposing God. While seeing the status quo as an extension of the Almighty works pretty well for an absolute monarchy, it doesn't do so well in a system involving democratic elections.

quote:
quote:
[QUOTE] Baptists are more of a minority [Biased]

Yeah Jade, I know but legend has it we are growing!

My point was a bit bigger than that - it was more about our "right" as denominations to speak out when adherence is now way less than 10% of the population.

I suppose my radical unorthodoxy means I'd personally rather be a challenging minority than a comfortable and complacent majority. The church in the UK is getting smaller but those in it may be getting stronger - some of the dead wood and the compromise has gone.

I would absolutely agree with you re being a challenging minority. I am uncomfortable with the church, any denomination of the church, being an arm of the state. I'm just wondering if it's possible to have an established religion and not have that. Probably not though.

quote:
I would absolutely agree with you re being a challenging minority. I am uncomfortable with the church, any denomination of the church, being an arm of the state. I'm just wondering if it's possible to have an established religion and not have that. Probably not though.

I agree with you that no church should see itself, or let itself be seen, as an arm of the state.

However, if we believe God is sovereign, is it possible to have a state, however backslidden and disobedient, that is not subject to his sovereignty?

quote:
quote:

I agree with you that no church should see itself, or let itself be seen, as an arm of the state.

However, if we believe God is sovereign, is it possible to have a state, however backslidden and disobedient, that is not subject to his sovereignty?

Surely all states are subject to His sovereignty, whethere Christian or otherwise? Having a state religion doesn't make a difference to God's sovereignty!

quote:
I am uncomfortable with the church, any denomination of the church, being an arm of the state. I'm just wondering if it's possible to have an established religion and not have that. Probably not though.

That seems to be definitionally impossible, since it's the state doing the establishing.

quote:
Surely all states are subject to His sovereignty, whethere Christian or otherwise? Having a state religion doesn't make a difference to God's sovereignty!

One would hope it generates an awareness of God's sovereignty and a willingness to submit to its implications.

[ 07. September 2013, 21:04: Message edited by: Enoch ]

quote:
quote:

I'd need data on the political interventions of individual priests over twenty years to tell you that. This might be interesting to find out about, but I don't have it.

quote:
Isn't it better to see a divide which may not stop the fighting but which actually stops the in fighting?

There isn't any in-fighting. I've never heard them publically criticise each other, they just get on with the job. No, it's better for the church to cater to all tastes.

quote:
It would be far better if we all had to work on the same playing field. Yes, you'd see Anglican churches close but it would be leaner, meaner and hopefully more dynamic and able to relate to the people around.

Sorry, this is just nonsensical. The Church does relate to the people who are interested in what it offers. See my previous posts on the idea that people not going to church constitutes a problem to be solved (Spoiler: it doesn't).

Also, I don't think we're on the same playing field. We don't want the same things, do we? The people who want to be Anglicans aren't, on the whole, the people who want to be Baptists.

quote:
Speaking personally, I'd like to think that disestablishment would allow the Jesus message to breathe more vibrantly. Plique-à-jour is right to say that the nation largely ignores any Christian pronouncements that don't emanate from the CofE (or occasionally the RCC). However, I believe that the privileged status of the CofE in itself contributes to the indifference towards other denominations.

I don't know what you mean by 'allow the Jesus message to breathe more vibrantly'. I think indifference to religion is the main source of indifference to other denominations, and I can't think why the CofE minus establishment wouldn't be on the same pay-no-mind list.

quote:
Also, I don't think we're on the same playing field. We don't want the same things, do we? The people who want to be Anglicans aren't, on the whole, the people who want to be Baptists.

And why is it a good idea for the state to give a leg up to people who want to be Anglicans over people who want to be Baptists?

quote:
quote:

And why is it a good idea for the state to give a leg up to people who want to be Anglicans over people who want to be Baptists?
It doesn't.

quote:
quote:
quote:

It doesn't.
Hang on a second. Your premise, as I understand it, is that because they've got the crown's seal of approval Anglican clergy are more able to get attention (and presumably results) from pressuring the government than clergy of any other sect. I'm pretty sure that having a shortcut to the levers of power unavailable to other faiths is considered a leg up by most people.

quote:
Hang on a second. Your premise, as I understand it, is that because they've got the crown's seal of approval Anglican clergy are more able to get attention (and presumably results) from pressuring the government than clergy of any other sect. I'm pretty sure that having a shortcut to the levers of power unavailable to other faiths is considered a leg up by most people.

You've misunderstood me. Again, do you live in Britain?

quote:
You've misunderstood me.

I'm not sure it's possible to interpret your post differently.

quote:
An Anglican priest recently got arrested trespassing in protest at a airbase. That means something different with an established church than it would mean without it.

You seem to be saying that because this priest was a member of the government's officially endorsed sect, his actions have a different meaning than if they were undertaken by someone without that endorsement. If that's not your meaning, what did you mean?

quote:
Again, do you live in Britain?

I prefer not to share personal details online, but no, I don't presently live in Britain if you think that's relevant. I've also got some pretty strong opinions on the official establishment of religion in Saudi Arabia and I don't live there either.

quote:
I'm not sure it's possible to interpret your post differently.

As your reading of its meaning was incorrect, yes, it is.

quote:
You seem to be saying that because this priest was a member of the government's officially endorsed sect, his actions have a different meaning than if they were undertaken by someone without that endorsement. If that's not your meaning, what did you mean?

No, I'm not saying that either. What I'm saying is what I said. Find out what 'establishment' means. It doesn't mean the Prime Minister likes you. A priest from a church whose ostensible role is to represent the spiritual life of the nation getting arrested precisely because he acted against the established order has a particular kind of impact. Anglican priests are expected to pay attention to the mood of 'the people', and this allows a spectrum of intervention.

quote:
I prefer not to share personal details online, but no, I don't presently live in Britain if you think that's relevant. I've also got some pretty strong opinions on the official establishment of religion in Saudi Arabia and I don't live there either.

The question is really whether or not you're British. If you are, I can't imagine why you're talking about a 'royal seal of approval' as though the preferences of the royal family had anything to do with the constitutional mechanism.

[ 07. September 2013, 22:06: Message edited by: Plique-à-jour ]

quote:
quote:
quote:

American church is market driven and uses all the fell techniques of that secularist material agenda. Those of us who have a nodding acquaintance to marketing recognise its stamp on American church culture and, increasingly on the British. The church planting movement was little less than expansionist parachuting, driven by Peter Wagner's and Robert Schuller's positivism. (Find out what people want and give it to them).

British churches tend (generally) to have broader social mixes than American ones: American churches generally tend to be more homogenous.

If you have churches that are popular then you run the risk of having churches that are populist; and if your churches are universally 'unpopulist' then perhaps that's partly why they're unpopular! Not all American churches are populist, but a genuinely free-market environment for churches (i.e. no state church) means you have to tolerate churches you disapprove of as well as those you approve of.

I can see why British evangelicals would be somewhat ambivalent about their American cousins. On the one hand, American evangelicals (of a certain type) supply religious movements, music and ideas that generate an undeniable global appeal. On the other, their general showiness and unwillingness to draw a veil over the business side of things jar with British sensibilities, as well as being theologically problematic.

However, IMO almost all churches engage in 'marketing' of a sort, and are businesses by virtue of being institutions that need to generate an income and a minimum number of participants. The CofE as a whole doesn't do slick, yet its public image as 'the national voice of Christianity' or 'guardian of the nation's religious heritage' is carefully nurtured and its spokesmen are all on message.

quote:
[QUOTE]However, IMO almost all churches engage in 'marketing' of a sort, and are businesses by virtue of being institutions that need to generate an income and a minimum number of participants. The CofE as a whole doesn't do slick, yet its public image as 'the national voice of Christianity' or 'guardian of the nation's religious heritage' is carefully nurtured and its spokesmen are all on message.

I agree but it isn't of the slick, soap powder style cringe making stuff you see all too often from certain well known churches.

Yes church is a global "brand" but it's a local demographic. I agree too that the CofE doesn't do slick but if it has the attitude of "'the national voice of Christianity' or 'guardian of the nation's religious heritage'" then actually it's a bit too far up itself. The CofE is a minority faith group as are all denominations like Methodists and Baptists but it shouldn't claim to spak for people it doesn't. Bad mistake - cos when you mess up people drop you faster than ever - and let's face it there have been so many own goals recently, the net is bulging.

Posted by Curiosity killed ... (# 11770) on :

SvitlanaV2 - that's a pretty cynical view of how CofE churches operate in the community and what being an established church means on the ground.

An additional large chunk of the work in local parishes is the baptisms, funerals and weddings of those who want these services to be religious. This is over and above the services everyone thinks the churches are about. Baptisms are free, funerals are charged on set fees, which aren't huge and when I was booking them were assigned (went to the diocese) and didn't cover costs, although the fee structure changed this year. Weddings are not really that common nowadays unless it's a chocolate box church in a sought after area - too many other places to get married.

The local parish church is expected to find a minister to preside at any funeral of a parishioner when requested, believer or not, crematorium funeral or church, the deceased just has to live in the parish. Now, if the CofE was practising such a cynical attitude as you're expressing, they wouldn't be willingly engaging with families over funerals. CofE churches do this because it's part of being a parish church and part of serving the local community. In comparison, the non-conformist minister I worked with wouldn't continue with initiatives that he didn't see as bringing countable converts, albeit children's work or Alpha courses.

quote:
[QUOTE]
1. A priest from a church whose ostensible role is to represent the spiritual life of the nation getting arrested precisely because he acted against the established order has a particular kind of impact.

2. Anglican priests are expected to pay attention to the mood of 'the people', and this allows a spectrum of intervention.

1. The impact is that most people will (if they care) consider him/her to be mad.

2. Mmm interesting expectation that IME is not borne out in real life. Too many priests plough their own furrow, some of them oblivious to the mood of the people and/or the signs of the times. Clearly from what I've seen on the ground over the last 30 years the spectrum of involvement begins at "detachment" onto "inertia" through "tradition" via "church politics" and happily onto "confrontation and action" in some cases.

It's not only the CofE that is guilty of this - other church denominations do the same - but it seems worse because of the very expectations you refer to. It's more observed in the breach and when the church does speak out, the inherent divergence of views and approaches within, means people don't listen. We don't speak with one voice.

Let me give an example - not a zillion miles from where I sit there are 3 churches in one mission community. It's a city centre location with all sorts of social and other need. Look at their website and pick up their literature and you quickly get the impression (whether it's true or not but that's the impression) that they are doing more to proselytise their way of "doing church" than they are meeting need on their doorstep. Their accounts at the Charity Commissioners bear this out.

Another Mission community a mile further out - again 3 churches - is looking to build bridges but they have little hope of success as they are trying to bring people into a model of church that was out of date 10 years ago.

Problem for other churches around - who are being innovative and looking for fresh expressions (and this includes Anglican ones), the very inaction of these first two groups (older, embraced by the civic community), works against them. We are tarred by the same brush as they are perceived to be "the church" and representative: trouble is, it's not a representation/expression of faith that fits with today's world. They are declining but are being propped up by a process and policy to ever expand the numbers of churches in the group without a parallel increase in leadership resources.

quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
An additional large chunk of the work in local parishes is the baptisms, funerals and weddings of those who want these services to be religious. This is over and above the services everyone thinks the churches are about. Baptisms are free, funerals are charged on set fees, which aren't huge and when I was booking them were assigned (went to the diocese) and didn't cover costs, although the fee structure changed this year. Weddings are not really that common nowadays unless it's a chocolate box church in a sought after area - too many other places to get married.

The local parish church is expected to find a minister to preside at any funeral of a parishioner when requested, believer or not, crematorium funeral or church, the deceased just has to live in the parish. Now, if the CofE was practising such a cynical attitude as you're expressing, they wouldn't be willingly engaging with families over funerals. CofE churches do this because it's part of being a parish church and part of serving the local community. In comparison, the non-conformist minister I worked with wouldn't continue with initiatives that he didn't see as bringing countable converts, albeit children's work or Alpha courses.

Yes, but they're not alone in doing this: in 20 years, I've never charged for funerals or wedding or dedications (we practice adult baptism).

I'm not bothered where it might lead, I'm more interested in how I can help and support people now. And yes, I do believe doing something for nothing does make people think better of the church as a community, not just of Prickly Mountain Baptist.

quote:
[QUOTE]

1. There isn't any in-fighting. I've never heard them publically criticise each other, they just get on with the job. No, it's better for the church to cater to all tastes.

2. Also, I don't think we're on the same playing field. We don't want the same things, do we? The people who want to be Anglicans aren't, on the whole, the people who want to be Baptists.

3. I don't know what you mean by 'allow the Jesus message to breathe more vibrantly'. I think indifference to religion is the main source of indifference to other denominations, and I can't think why the CofE minus establishment wouldn't be on the same pay-no-mind list.

1. Well you've led a sheltered life. I encountered enough of the in fighting some years ago to leave the CofE. These days it's not unusual to hear clergy dissing each other over heir approaches to SSM, ritual and liturgy, women priests and bishops etc etc. It's from the inside not from outside.

2. No we're not the same but surely we all want to follow Christ and not just do the work of Him who sent us but to be the Church? Yes that involves a range of expressions but the expressions should always point to the One Saviour.

Many many Baptist churches have people from a wide range of faith backgrounds - a lot of them are Anglican by upbringing. The stream is very very small indeed in the other direction. That must speak for something.

3. Again partly true but my contention and belief (and experience) is that most people don't recognise the different denominations. When the public face of the UK church speaks - the CofE - the assumption is we're all there and all behind it. Fine if it gets it right, bad bad news for me if your publicity gets it wrong. Try explaining that you are an inclusive church who has welcomed and ordained women for 90 years when the CofE has made a complete and mess of the whole thing. Thanks a bunch - it wastes my time trying to counter argue, when I could be out on the streets where I need to be.

Exclamation Mark - you're obviously doing a good job.

My experience around here is that it's the CofE church that is leading in much of the outreach and community work - often jointly with other churches, particularly the RC church. The current initiatives I am thinking of are the recycling furniture store to provide cheap furniture for people in need, the credit union and food bank. This last is currently under discussion, not in place. All these came from people in the CofE church and are where many of the volunteers come from. The credit union used the church as premises for a while; it's now moved to the library, but the volunteers still mainly come from the CofE church congregation. It's the non-conformist churches that won't support national initiatives because it can't be seen as "their work" and piggyback on public events just to publicise themselves and convert, rather than support. The CofE church hosts things like the Horticultural Society and Art Society Annual Shows, free concerts and other community events. The non-conformist churches will use any event, like the Walk of Witness on Good Friday or the Christmas Market, as an opportunity to hand out leaflets and carry banners to advertise.

Now, there is no Baptist Church in town, so I don't know how well they would be doing, but the two local Baptist churches, in the village to the south and town to the north, are not that well known for their outreach work.

quote:
Exclamation Mark - you're obviously doing a good job.

My experience around here is that it's the CofE church that is leading in much of the outreach and community work - often jointly with other churches, particularly the RC church. The current initiatives I am thinking of are the recycling furniture store to provide cheap furniture for people in need, the credit union and food bank. This last is currently under discussion, not in place. All these came from people in the CofE church and are where many of the volunteers come from. The credit union used the church as premises for a while; it's now moved to the library, but the volunteers still mainly come from the CofE church congregation. It's the non-conformist churches that won't support national initiatives because it can't be seen as "their work" and piggyback on public events just to publicise themselves and convert, rather than support. The CofE church hosts things like the Horticultural Society and Art Society Annual Shows, free concerts and other community events. The non-conformist churches will use any event, like the Walk of Witness on Good Friday or the Christmas Market, as an opportunity to hand out leaflets and carry banners to advertise.

Now, there is no Baptist Church in town, so I don't know how well they would be doing, but the two local Baptist churches, in the village to the south and town to the north, are not that well known for their outreach work.

Thanks - we try! Doesn't count for much but a community fun day in the summer (everything free for 1000+ people) has brought 20+ children into our weekday activities and other very specific work incl CAP has kicked off.

Well, here (and it's a pretty big place of 200000 plus) the main outreach is being done through the NFI church, Baptist churches and one or two of the more con evo Anglicans, with a couple of pioneer workers on some estates. It was the same where I was before (rural, coastal) only more marked: the baptist churches were the only ones engaged in any community stuff at all - the rest just seemed to be living off history.

Food bank, furniture, soup runs, street pastors are well supported but owe their origins and running to Salvation Army and other "free" churches.

The traditional Anglicans are doing very little. Interestingly, the Catholic church is the biggest in numbers terms by far and does no outreach whatsoever and although part of the churches together stuff, (75+ churches in the town and around), never attends.

At the recent installation of the local vicar (to three churches) he made it quite plain that it was "his" parish. Sad that he felt he had to put his non ecumenical credentials up front esp when his 3 churches are the least involved of all. It was frankly embarrassing to me as churches together rep!

quote:
SvitlanaV2 - that's a pretty cynical view of how CofE churches operate in the community and what being an established church means on the ground.
[...]

I wasn't trying to dismiss the good work that the CofE does. I know it does good work. The question is, does it need to be an established church to do good work? The implication above is that all serious Christian activity would cease if the CofE were not wedded to the state.

To be honest, the CofE would still retain its wealth if it were disestablished. It would probably still own many large churches that could double up as food banks, etc. It would still conduct plenty of funerals and weddings. But gradually, I think the psychology would change. There would be a bit more of a level playing field.

But what is coming over is sour grapes the CofE has a privileged position that they abuse and if that privilege was removed the other churches would get a look in. Actually, on the ground the CofE gets a whole lot of abuse just for being the established church and deals with a lot of ongoing expectations. The other faiths don't necessarily see this or get it.

Things like the baptisms, weddings and funerals are part of the remit of being an established church. If that was removed there would be no requirement on anyone to step up to the plate and cover for the people who want church/faith funerals, weddings or baptisms because if the person isn't already a part of a faith community the other churches don't pick them up. So those services would be secularised completely. And they are an opportunity to reach out and provide pastoral care.

I don't see why CofE theology on births, marriages and deaths would have to change if the Church were disestablished. The relevant services could still be offered to all-comers - unless you fear that a disestablished church would suddenly become inward-looking and decide not to serve the wider community any more.

The sour-grapes accusation simply sounds like an argument for the status quo. The implication is that everything is fine as it is. I'm not convinced that this is the case. If disestablishment isn't the answer then I'd be looking for someone to suggest some alternative developments, not to insist that we just continue as usual.

No, that's not what I'm saying.

I'm saying that the established position of the CofE is what leads to the parish system that means, in theory, that the whole of England has a church and minister to provide the baptisms, marriages and funerals for anyone who lives in that geographical area. That is what establishment means on the ground. If establishment goes, then the parish system goes and the CofE becomes a congregational church without the requirement to minister to everyone within certain geographical boundaries.

quote:

I'm saying that the established position of the CofE is what leads to the parish system that means, in theory, that the whole of England has a church and minister to provide the baptisms, marriages and funerals for anyone who lives in that geographical area. That is what establishment means on the ground. If establishment goes, then the parish system goes and the CofE becomes a congregational church without the requirement to minister to everyone within certain geographical boundaries.

I don't agree - it can be changed and has been changed recently 9for weddings at least). It is a bit about protectionism and as for other churches not getting it - well, actually some of us do.

Posted by Gamaliel (# 812) on :

Everyone disses the CofE for its apparently privileged status - the RCs and Orthodox do from a different direction to the Baptists, URCs and Methodists and so on - but the net underlying resentment is the same ...

I'm not sure that Disestablishment would make that much difference to this state of affairs.

The Church in Wales, allegedly, continues to act as if it is the Established Church even though it's been Disestablished since the 1920s. At least, that's how Catholics and non-conformists see it.

Where we are in semi-rural Cheshire it's harder for any of the non-Anglican churches - other than the RCs and Methodists - to get that much of a profile and platform as they don't tend to have the plant and the strategic locations ... although I can think of one or two exceptions to that general rule.

I'm going to be collaborating with the local URC minister on an arts project next year, it'll be interesting to see how that works compared to similar initiatives I've done through Anglican channels.

I suspect though, that these things work both ways. Some people are attracted to the CofE because they recognise it as a known brand whereas the Baptists, it seems to me, do draw in a lot of disaffected RCs and Anglicans.

There is traffic in the opposite direction but from what I can see the Baptists are vulnerable to losing people in two different directions - towards more sacramental traditions on the one hand and towards the likes of NFI and the Vineyard on the other.

Ok, so the traffic in a more sacramental direction is less than it is in the other direction, but it's still there and, I would submit, explains some of the current interest in more traditional forms of spirituality that has emerged in Baptist circles - retreats, pilgrimages and spiritual-direction, guided-prayer and so on.

The Baptists have done relatively well, I would say, because they have tapped into the zeitgeist to a certain extent - personal faith, personal choice (hence believer's baptism) and a sense of community and collaboration - we do church together ...

Nowt wrong with that, but by the same token if you're wedding to the spirit of the age you'll be widowed to it in the next.

At their best, I do think the Baptists are in a strong position to draw from their storehouse things both new and old.

But I dunno, there's a certain je ne sais quoi that isn't always there ... the preaching can be good but the sacramental dimension is a bit thin - but in fairness, it doesn't pretend to be otherwise.

Whilst I know plenty of people who have done, I've never experienced any sniffiness or sense of we're-the-established-church-the-rest-of-you-can-piss-off-ness in Anglican circles. But I'm sure it does exist.

quote:

I don't see why disestablishment would have to lead to congregationalism. The Methodists aren't congregational. The RCC isn't.

As for the parish system, I've heard several commentators say that it's now at breaking point (though perhaps not where you live), that practice and 'theory' are moving further apart. I don't know what the solution is, but there must be thoughtful Anglicans who are worried for the future and who are considering alternative systems.

Of course, all British churches need to be considering the difficult times ahead, not just the CofE. But the CofE's establishment status makes it an obvious focus for comment. If nothing else, the status of the CofE may become increasingly difficult to justify in a nation that finds it harder and harder to identify with Anglicanism. I'm inclined to think that the CofE should, supported by other Christians, try to take the upper hand in managing the public process towards eventual disestablishment, rather than waiting for secular politicians and non-religious intellectuals to lead the debate. That wouldn't look good.

Posted by South Coast Kevin (# 16130) on :

quote:
I'm inclined to think that the CofE should, supported by other Christians, try to take the upper hand in managing the public process towards eventual disestablishment, rather than waiting for secular politicians and non-religious intellectuals to lead the debate. That wouldn't look good.

I think this would be brilliant! Christians rejecting favouritism from the state and making it clear that privileged access to the levers of power is not something we should seek or welcome.

Indeed, South Coast Kevin, but on a daily level and on the ground, I doubt if most Anglicans give the 'privileged' status a second thought. Nor does it particularly bother those who don't bother with church in any way, shape or form.

It tends to be seen as more of an issue by those who don't have that 'Established' status.

I'd have no issue with Disestablishment but using my native Wales as a template - where Disestablishment already exists - I'm not sure it'd make any whit of difference one way or another.

On the parish system ... yes, I do think it's bust.

When I first moved here part of me naively thought, 'Aha, seeing as there isn't any immediately attractive Free Church option, it might be time to support the local parish and see how that works out ...'

I soon realised that parish boundaries and even town or village boundaries are meaningless to our vicar and he's not bothered if people come from nearby towns as well as on the doorstep ... although the nearby towns trend seemed to drop off quite quickly ...

I also found that most of the Anglicans I know on this side of town, drive or cycle past the evangelical parish to get to the more liberal one. Equally, there are people who live in the parish served by the more liberal Anglican church choose to cross over the invisible boundary to the evangelical one ...

The parish system has been creaking for some time. The issue, of course, is what to replace it with.

To an extent, all churches are becoming 'gathered churches' as Christendom crumbles.

Oh, and I'll let you into a secret SvitlanaV2, the CofE on the ground is already congregational ... it's just that no-one's told the bishops yet ...

[Big Grin]

Posted by seasick (# 48) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Gamaliel:
I'd have no issue with Disestablishment but using my native Wales as a template - where Disestablishment already exists - I'm not sure it'd make any whit of difference one way or another.

The Church in Wales is disestablished? Who knew? [Devil]

quote:
Unlike Wales, where it was about 'which church?', under modern conditions, in England, it would be about corporate national apostasy, the state throwing off any sense that it is accountable to God.

That may have been the intention in Wales, but if the Church Uniting in Wales ever did work out (i.e. us and the Methodists and the URC and the Calvinist Methodists/Welsh Presbyterians and whoever I've forgotten), we wouldn't get reëstablished. The national apostasy has been realized by accident.

Posted by beatmenace (# 16955) on :

Originally posted by SvitlanaV2
quote:
The American religious free-for-all creates high standards and competition among the churches, and doesn't allow any one denomination to dominate the discourse, culturally or politically. It's a controversial thesis (links are available) but I suspect there's a lot of truth in it.
It doesnt though - the discourse is dominated by the loudest and those most ready to take an extreme position, as those are the people reported most widely by the Media - we only need to look at the Gay Marriage 'discussion' emanating from the US.

Here Westbro Baptists (for example) would only make a small column in a local paper - filed under 'Loony Fringe'. There are only about 30 of them. My point is that we have heard of them -and thats becuase they are extreme and newsworthy. So some equal voices are more equal than others in a media driven world.

[ 08. September 2013, 13:45: Message edited by: beatmenace ]

quote:

Oh, and I'll let you into a secret SvitlanaV2, the CofE on the ground is already congregational ... it's just that no-one's told the bishops yet ...

[Big Grin]

It was Curiosity Killed... who said that congregationalism would be the outcome of disestablishment, not me. What you're suggesting is that there's currently a parish system in theory and congregationalism in practice. That's very interesting. The broad church concept surely contains the seeds of congregationalism, because what's the point of having a charismatic Anglican church down one road and an Anglo-Catholic one up the hill if people are simply meant to attend (or go for assistance to) their parish church regardless of churchmanship?

The Anglicans on this thread seem to disagree as to whether disestablishment would disrupt Anglican service to the nation, or whether it would make very little difference. I suppose this disagreement is shared by the CofE as a whole, and that's one reason why the Church hasn't really encouraged any public debate on this issue.

quote:
Originally posted by beatmenace:
Originally posted by SvitlanaV2
quote:
The American religious free-for-all creates high standards and competition among the churches, and doesn't allow any one denomination to dominate the discourse, culturally or politically. It's a controversial thesis (links are available) but I suspect there's a lot of truth in it.
It doesnt though - the discourse is dominated by the loudest and those most ready to take an extreme position, as those are the people reported most widely by the Media - we only need to look at the Gay Marriage 'discussion' emanating from the US.

Here Westbro Baptists (for example) would only make a small column in a local paper - filed under 'Loony Fringe'. There are only about 30 of them. My point is that we have heard of them -and thats becuase they are extreme and newsworthy. So some equal voices are more equal than others in a media driven world.

It's true that the British perception of American religion is dominated by notions of extremism. But it's not true that the Westboro Baptists are more successful than the Episcopalians or the Seventh Day Adventists or the United Church of Christ. The WBs make good copy, but what about their growth, influence and theology, etc.? Nothing to write home about, I suspect. They're pantomime fundamentalists. I don't see how that makes them important.

quote:
Indeed, South Coast Kevin, but on a daily level and on the ground, I doubt if most Anglicans give the 'privileged' status a second thought. Nor does it particularly bother those who don't bother with church in any way, shape or form.

It tends to be seen as more of an issue by those who don't have that 'Established' status.

Mmm, you may well be right. Mind you, perhaps this is simply because us 'non-established' Christians (clumsy phrase, sorry!) (a) notice the classification of established and non-established, and (b) don't take for granted the establishment of the C of E. On point (b), is it not the case that those in a privileged position (due to race, gender, education level, religious affiliation or whatever) tend not to notice their favourable situation? What's the phrase, 'check your privilege'?

quote:
Originally posted by South Coast Kevin:
quote:

Mmm, you may well be right. Mind you, perhaps this is simply because us 'non-established' Christians (clumsy phrase, sorry!) (a) notice the classification of established and non-established, and (b) don't take for granted the establishment of the C of E. On point (b), is it not the case that those in a privileged position (due to race, gender, education level, religious affiliation or whatever) tend not to notice their favourable situation? What's the phrase, 'check your privilege'?
SCK, agree with you here. Also surely Anglicans are aware of their established status in terms of church schools, the church's role in marriage, the church being so present at Royal and state occasions etc?

Posted by moonlitdoor (# 11707) on :

Gamaliel didn't say that Anglicans were unaware of establishment, but that he didn't think it made a day to day difference. My experience of church is probably much like South Coast Kevin's, sing some hymns or songs, listen to a sermon, receive communion, pray, go to a bible study, take part in a community project. What difference does it make to me that I have met a vicar, who has met a bishop, who has met an archbishop, who has met the Queen ?

It's not with the normal services it will make a difference but that large chunk of work to do with the pastoral services - the funerals, baptisms (and weddings, or more likely blessings and renewals of wedding vows). But as ordinary church goers, you won't be aware of how many other pastoral services happen during a normal week in a CofE church, and/or how many funerals the minister is attending at local crematoria.

Church schools have been mentioned. In a lot of cases they are just the local village schools, with governors from the church community. It depends where you are in the country as to whether being a church school makes a difference or not. (I attended a village church primary school as did my daughter. There wasn't an option, it was just the village school, two different villages, different ends of the country.)

Please don't misunderstand me, South Coast Kevin, I agree with a lot of what you're saying here - and don't forget I've been part of new-church restorationist congregations and Baptist churches as well as CofE involvement ...

Yes, your point is well made.

All I'm saying is that on this side of the fence, the 'Establishment' side if you like - things don't look that much different on a daily basis than they ever did when I was in the new-churches or the Free Churches ...

I suspect the difference lies in the areas that CK has highlighted - as well as, and I don't doubt that this has happened - the impression given to those 'outside' (such as ExclamationMark) that they're all either Johnny-Come-Latelys or exotic species who are tolerated but not embraced.

I suspect many Anglicans regard Establishment as a mixed-blessing. There's certainly an element of what I call Vineyard-envy or NFI-envy or even Bethel-envy among some of the New Wine crowd.

This works both ways. I've certainly come across URC and other Free Church ministers who, when asked to lead services at Anglican churches as part of some ecumenical initiative, have come away thinking, 'Wow! this makes life so much easier! I wish I could have it all written down in advance!'

Whereas I've known New Wine-y type Anglican clerics who feel strait-jacketed by the litanies and lectionaries and liturgy and want the apparent freedom of the Vineyarders and so on.

The freedom to go, 'Lord we really just ...' comes at a price, it seems to me ...

[Big Grin]

quote:
All I'm saying is that on this side of the fence, the 'Establishment' side if you like - things don't look that much different on a daily basis than they ever did when I was in the new-churches or the Free Churches ...

Oh yes, I expect you're right. But my problems with establishment are nothing to do with what things look like on a daily basis!
quote:
This works both ways. I've certainly come across URC and other Free Church ministers who, when asked to lead services at Anglican churches as part of some ecumenical initiative, have come away thinking, 'Wow! this makes life so much easier! I wish I could have it all written down in advance!'

What's this got to do with disestablishment of the C of E? In the event of disestablishment, the C of E would be perfectly at liberty to retain written liturgies, would it not? And, correspondingly, non-established churches can take whatever decision they wish on whether or not to use written liturgies, can't they?

Sure, that's a different issue to Establishment ... I was simply letting my mind wander and thinking discursively ...

I agree with you that the issue with Establishment is to do with other issues than what happens or doesn't happen on a daily basis.

On balance, I'm opposed to Establishment but I wouldn't die in a ditch over it. We are so far down the road towards a post-Christendom society that whether the CofE is Established or not probably doesn't make a great deal of difference.

On the liturgical aspect again, though, I suspect that as Christendom dissolves and crumbles these aspects could acquire a more sustaining and transforming power than they might currently possess. But that's just a hunch and a suggestion. I could very well be wrong.

quote:

On balance, I'm opposed to Establishment but I wouldn't die in a ditch over it. We are so far down the road towards a post-Christendom society that whether the CofE is Established or not probably doesn't make a great deal of difference.

An undeniably paradoxical idea - that we're in a post-Christendom age, therefore it doesn't matter if we have a state church or not.

Well, I suspect the CofE and the country at large will continue to keep things as they are until some crisis pops up to create havoc. Probably something to do with the royal family.

quote:
quote:

No, I'm not saying that either. What I'm saying is what I said. Find out what 'establishment' means. It doesn't mean the Prime Minister likes you. A priest from a church whose ostensible role is to represent the spiritual life of the nation getting arrested precisely because he acted against the established order has a particular kind of impact.
So an Anglican priest is in essence a government official defying orders? If we take this construction then one would have to hold that Anglican clergy are therefore less trustworthy when supporting the status quo, since that's their job.

I'm still not sure why it's the government's job to define what constitutes the proper "spiritual life" for its citizens, or why it's a good thing to hold that those outside the official sect are either improperly spiritual or less English than adherents.

quote:

quote:
Anglican priests are expected to pay attention to the mood of 'the people', and this allows a spectrum of intervention.

You're getting into kettle logic here. You can't argue that the purpose (or at least one purpose) of having an established church is to give voice to unpopular opinions and that its purpose is to reflect popular opinion (i.e. "the mood of 'the people'").

quote:
The question is really whether or not you're British. If you are, I can't imagine why you're talking about a 'royal seal of approval' as though the preferences of the royal family had anything to do with the constitutional mechanism.

Which is why I deliberately avoided the term "royal" in my argument, instead referring to "the Crown", a legal term-of-art which is not synonymous with either the monarch or the monarchy, though obviously those things are interrelated in the current order.

quote:

Luckily we don't have to speculate about this, since the non-English parts of the U.K. lack an established church. Is there a dearth of baptism or funeral services in Scotland and Wales relative to England and, if so, does this represent a difference in supply or a difference in demand for those services?

Posted by Garasu (# 17152) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Gwalchmai:

Um... Not all of us...

Croesos - a minister of the Church of England is not a government employee. S/he would be effectively an employee of the Church of England, paid from the monies coming in from the people in the pews and from the revenue of investments (rents or whatever), endowments or other income. There is no income from the Government. The Government does not have any say in which priest is appointed where either. That is usually agreed between the parish and the local deanery/diocesan adviser.

There is some Government say in the appointment of bishops:
quote:
Archbishops and bishops are appointed by The Queen on the advice of the Prime Minister, who considers the names selected by a Church Commission. They take an oath of allegiance to The Queen on appointment and may not resign without Royal authority.
but the names put forward are selected by Vacancy in See committees which are made up of church goers and officials within the appropriate diocese.

And baptisms - that boat has already sailed

The established Church of England really isn't the powerful organisation you're imagining.

quote:
Croesos - a minister of the Church of England is not a government employee.

I realize this, but the contrary position taken by Plique-à-jour, who holds that because of official establishment an Anglican priest holds an "insider status" when commenting on government policy, a status presumably not held by clergy of other sects. I was questioning this position, which is why the first sentence in my previous post ended in a question mark.

Posted by Sergius-Melli (# 17462) on :

quote:
Originally posted by pererin:
quote:
Unlike Wales, where it was about 'which church?', under modern conditions, in England, it would be about corporate national apostasy, the state throwing off any sense that it is accountable to God.

That may have been the intention in Wales, but if the Church Uniting in Wales ever did work out (i.e. us and the Methodists and the URC and the Calvinist Methodists/Welsh Presbyterians and whoever I've forgotten), we wouldn't get reëstablished. The national apostasy has been realized by accident.
Do you mean Covenanting Churches [Razz]

The amusing thing about the most recent report on governance and discipline, would see the non-conformists finding themselves conforming to the pre-disestablished Church in that they would be accepting Bishop's...

The CinW is a strange case, as several people have mentioned, we still have our Civic Service every year, play host to all the military engagements (with the County big-wigs etc.) including the Remembrance service, and the incumbent of the parish is the Mayor's Chaplain (despite the Mayor being a big Chapel goer.)

As Harris and Startup wrote back in 1999 after the 1990's review the CiW is not so much dis-established as "post-established"

Posted by Pulsator Organorum Ineptus (# 2515) on :

quote:
quote:
Croesos - a minister of the Church of England is not a government employee.

I realize this, but the contrary position taken by Plique-à-jour, who holds that because of official establishment an Anglican priest holds an "insider status" when commenting on government policy, a status presumably not held by clergy of other sects. I was questioning this position, which is why the first sentence in my previous post ended in a question mark.
C of E clergy are no more insiders when it comes to government policy than clergy of any other church. The government doesn't give a toss what C of E clergy think.

quote:
So an Anglican priest is in essence a government official defying orders? If we take this construction then one would have to hold that Anglican clergy are therefore less trustworthy when supporting the status quo, since that's their job.

No, that's not what I'm saying. No, that isn't their job.

quote:

I'm still not sure why it's the government's job to define what constitutes the proper "spiritual life" for its citizens, or why it's a good thing to hold that those outside the official sect are either improperly spiritual or less English than adherents.

But that ISN'T WHAT HAPPENS, THAT ISN'T THE CASE. If you won't listen to the testimony of the people who actually have experience of the thing you're trying to understand, you're not going to understand it.

quote:
You're getting into kettle logic here. You can't argue that the purpose (or at least one purpose) of having an established church is to give voice to unpopular opinions and that its purpose is to reflect popular opinion (i.e. "the mood of 'the people'").

I haven't done that. Its ostensible role is to reflect the mood of the people. This permits a level of social involvement nobody would countenance or care about from other denominations, because their province is everyone in England, not just the people who have the same beliefs as they do.

The ostensible responsibility for even people outside the Church allows a kind of intervention, and an attitude to intervention, which would not be possible in a denomination without that role.

quote:
I realize this, but the contrary position taken by Plique-à-jour, who holds that because of official establishment an Anglican priest holds an "insider status" when commenting on government policy

I never said this, or anything like this. You're forcing everything that's being explained to you through the round hole of your ignorance of the organisation you've decided that you oppose. I don't see how anyone will profit by this.

[ 08. September 2013, 22:59: Message edited by: Plique-à-jour ]

Posted by RuthW (# 13) on :

quote:
To an extent, all churches are becoming 'gathered churches' as Christendom crumbles.

Pretty much all of the churches in the US are gathered churches, and we've got a higher church attendance than the UK, so I don't see a need to wring hands over disestablishment on that score.

quote:
quote:

But that ISN'T WHAT HAPPENS, THAT ISN'T THE CASE. If you won't listen to the testimony of the people who actually have experience of the thing you're trying to understand, you're not going to understand it.
I'm listening. You just don't like hearing your position stated baldly and without euphemism. Your stated position is that at least one of the purposes of establishment (i.e. a government grant of authority) is "to represent the spiritual life of the nation". If the Anglican Church "represent[s] the spiritual life of the [English] nation", it follows that any exercise of spirituality that's not Anglican is either deficiently spiritual or deficiently English.

quote:
quote:

I haven't done that. Its ostensible role is to reflect the mood of the people.
If the purpose of the established church is to reflect popular opinion (a.k.a. "the mood of the people"), what was that earlier rigamarole about how an established church was important to reflect "unpopular sentiments"?

quote:
This permits a level of social involvement nobody would countenance or care about from other denominations, because their province is everyone in England, not just the people who have the same beliefs as they do.

The ostensible responsibility for even people outside the Church allows a kind of intervention, and an attitude to intervention, which would not be possible in a denomination without that role.

And the only for the state to address social issues is to pick (or create) its favorite sect and give it preferential treatment? I don't buy it. Once again, this is something that's fairly easy to test. Are social problems left unaddressed in the non-English parts of the U.K. more often than in England and, if so, can this be definitively linked to the established church?

@Ruth W - on the link between Establishment and church attendance ... yes, but I don't think that Disestablishment would somehow reverse any trends in the decline in church attendance in the UK.

It hasn't in Wales.

Although in some areas the CinW is picking up people from the non-conformist chapels which are declining at an even faster rate.

I also expect to see a dramatic decline in church attendance in the US over the next few decades.

quote:
Originally posted by Sergius-Melli:
quote:

Do you mean Covenanting Churches [Razz]

The amusing thing about the most recent report on governance and discipline, would see the non-conformists finding themselves conforming to the pre-disestablished Church in that they would be accepting Bishop's...

Yeah, well there is the issue of what to call it if it went beyond being Covenanted Churches: CUiW was one of the options IIRC. (And "whoever I've forgotten" was the Covenanted Baptist Churches of course.)

And it does strike me as faintly amusing that in a small country that already has seven bishops (six diocesans plus the Assistant Bishop of Llandaff), the answer appears to be even more bishops. But the serious point is that this is quite a large step for the CinW as well: it would be the end of monepiscopacy — the result would be that there were churches whose ordinary was not the geographical diocesan bishop.

Posted by Sergius-Melli (# 17462) on :

quote:
it would be the end of monepiscopacy — the result would be that there were churches whose ordinary was not the geographical diocesan bishop.

For now...

If (and I think it is a big IF, since there is a lot of minutia to sort out, it wont solve problems by just consecrating Bishops and saying 'there you go', at the most obvious there will be the issues of deficiency in intention to start with) it goes ahead then eventually it will develop to a point where non-conformists do just end up conforming and coming in from the cold (congregation numbers/up keep of buildings/clergy costs/etc. will most likely force it to that point) and the structure abandoned.

Posted by leo (# 1458) on :

quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
quote:

Pretty much all of the churches in the US are gathered churches, and we've got a higher church attendance than the UK, so I don't see a need to wring hands over disestablishment on that score.
But is the church there to attract new members or to speak truth to power?

quote:
Originally posted by Sergius-Melli:
quote:
it would be the end of monepiscopacy — the result would be that there were churches whose ordinary was not the geographical diocesan bishop.

For now...

If (and I think it is a big IF, since there is a lot of minutia to sort out, it wont solve problems by just consecrating Bishops and saying 'there you go', at the most obvious there will be the issues of deficiency in intention to start with) it goes ahead then eventually it will develop to a point where non-conformists do just end up conforming and coming in from the cold (congregation numbers/up keep of buildings/clergy costs/etc. will most likely force it to that point) and the structure abandoned.

Who is to judge intention? It's not as if we'd be completely reinventing the wheel, as both Indian provinces have been through similar mergers. And is the language of "conforming" even relevant any more? It's not as if we're forcing everyone else to use the 1662 Prayer Book.

Posted by RuthW (# 13) on :

quote:
Originally posted by leo:
quote:
quote:

Some US churches do one, some do the other, some do both, some do neither. Seems to me a church that isn't a part of a country's power structure is more likely to be able to speak truth to power than one that is.

quote:
Originally posted by leo:

Small denominations have sometimes had social and perhaps even political influence out of proportion to their numbers. The Quakers are the most obvious example. But does the CofE fit into this sort of pattern? I'm not so sure.

As for the CinW, on a positive note, it could actually be used as a good example of why disestablishment is a good thing. It's become more important to Welsh church life, not less, since it was disestablished!

On the other hand, of course, Wales has experienced its own very rapid brand of secularisation. The decline of the Welsh language (due to a changing economy) and consequently of Welsh-language chapels is something that the disestablishment of the Anglicised CinW would have done little to address.

Interestingly, the CinW has apparently retained the 'mission' of an established church, trying to cater for the whole population of Wales and being seen as the general go-to church. In this respect, the supply-side theorists would say that the CinW still has a religious monopoly. In fact, the loss of the Welsh language has presumably exacerbated the sense of monopoly, because the language difference allowed for a degree of cultural autonomy for the other churches that would be much harder to establish now.

The supply-side theorists do say that state churches retain their psychologically and socially pre-eminent position for quite some time after disestablishment. It seems to be the case in Sweden, where the Lutheran Church was disestablished in 2000. And the French still seem to feel that the RCC is the only reasonable and authentically French expression of Christianity, even after two centuries of trying to break their formal ties with this church!

Posted by ken (# 2460) on :

quote:
Seems to me a church that isn't a part of a country's power structure is more likely to be able to speak truth to power than one that is.

My church is not part of the country's power structure. Some men with pointy hats who happen to be members of the same denomination as us are part of the power structure. Things would probably be better if they weren't.

quote:
[QUOTE]Some US churches do one, some do the other, some do both, some do neither. Seems to me a church that isn't a part of a country's power structure is more likely to be able to speak truth to power than one that is.

National power structures don't take much notice anyway. But is it anyone's experience that a country's power structure takes any notice at all of religious bodies that segregate themselves from the system? I don't observe ours taking much notice of the Brethren, say.

quote:
National power structures don't take much notice anyway. But is it anyone's experience that a country's power structure takes any notice at all of religious bodies that segregate themselves from the system? I don't observe ours taking much notice of the Brethren, say.

But Ruth spoke of churches that '[aren't] a part of a country's power structure', not that 'segregate themselves from the system'. ISTM there's much space between these two positions.

On the wider point, I think power structures very much do take notice of non-established Christian groups, if we start doing remarkable things. I remember hearing of a town (can't think where, sorry!) in which many of the churches got together and asked the local police to keep them updated on what was going on, so they could pray. Apparently, the crime rate dropped significantly.

And round my way now, there's a campaign for Christians (of all 'flavours') to put themselves forward as adoptive parents in order to address a severe shortfall. This is all being done in collaboration with the local council and they're loving it - Christians are making a difference and the people in power are noticing. AIUI this is being led by a free charismatic church and all sorts of churches are involved; it's not at all dependent on establishment status.

quote:
If the purpose of the established church is to reflect popular opinion

Look up the word ostensible. Look up the word pragmatism while you're at it. Re-read my post. Ask some other English people who are more patient than I am if you still don't get it.

I'm done with this.

Posted by Merchant Trader (# 9007) on :

This might be a new topic but I cannot help but wonder whether an unlooked for consequence would be increased clericalisation of the CofE?
At the moment clerical power is balanced by the Sovereign, Parliament and to some extent Patrons, Synods, Churchwardens and PCCs.
Losing ultimate lay control from the Sovereign and Parliament concentrates even more control in the clergy.
Patrons have gradually lost power and/or patronage has been taken over by the Bishops. Synod does not seem representative. Churchwardens seem to exercise less and less power and PCSs are have the right to be consulted and have responsibilities but little power i.e. they are not the same as Vestries in the US.
So if we disestablish should be not at least re-address consequent governance issues? At the moment ultimate control is, at last theoretically, lay. If we remove the authority of the Sovereign and Parliament should we not strengthen other lay authority. My suggestion might be that PCCs have the power of US Vestries.

© Ship of Fools 2016