Thread: Happy Thanksgiving weekend Canada! Board: Oblivion / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=70;t=026155

Posted by no prophet (# 15560) on :

Thanksgiving is here. We're adding a day and have 4 days away starting tomorrow. I am thankful to have decent fall weather, around 0°C at night and +7 to 12°C during days. We will be out at our cabin watching the geese and ducks gather for their trip south. The menu differs this year, all on the barbeque. We're making turkey breast roll-ups, squash with cumin and lime, sweet potato with walnuts, maple and jalapeño, grilled bok choy with goat cheese, and I will make bread and buns, and the only non-barbequed thing, pumpkin pie, but we're making it with whisky. [Yipee] We have a line on some mighty fine shisliki and perogies on the way out tomorrow (marinated lamb and Ukrainian ravioli like things).

Thankful to have one of our kids and partner with us, thankful that then other one is safely in London with her's and will have Thanksgiving with a couple from Ontario. Thankful that we now have a cellular tower near the cabin so can skype with them.

Everyone who is celebrating Thanksgiving, travel safely and have a good one!

Posted by piglet (# 11803) on :

We're not going any further than along the road and round a few corners: a couple in the choir have invited us and several others for turkey-and-all-the-trimmings on Monday. It makes sense - it's too much of a faff in between singing the morning and evening services on Sunday, and much nicer to have a nice, relaxing late afternoon/evening on Monday.

Hope everyone has a great weekend and safe travelling to those who are going anywhere.

[Smile]

Posted by Lyda*Rose (# 4544) on :

I wonder if it's okay to celebrate both Canadian Thanksgiving and US Thanksgiving? I luurrrrve turkey and the whole groaning table. [Biased]

Anyway, happy Thanksgiving to our friends up north. [Smile]

Posted by PeteC (# 10422) on :

I am going away for the weekend. But if I were to be home the meal would include salmon in coconut fish gravy, wild rice and vegetables. And possibly a cauliflower soup if there's any around, still.

Most people have their meal on the Sunday, especially if they have visitors arriving and departing, but the actual day is Monday, and piglet and her band of merry choristers are quite correct to have it on that day. You just have to waddle through Tuesday at work, though.

When I was a child, Thanksgiving lasted the whole week. Or at least the turkey did, in various guises. Probably one of the reasons I don't do turkey any more.

Posted by comet (# 10353) on :

Happy Thanksgiving everyone! We usually do both, here, but I'm traveling so won't be home to do a big cook-up.

also won't be here to deal with the influx of partying Yukoners! [Big Grin]

yay!

I hope it is a blessed day for you all.

Posted by Nicolemr (# 28) on :

Happy Thanksgiving to my Northern neighbors! [Big Grin]

Posted by Leaf (# 14169) on :

The boards groaned here [Smile] although I missed some aspects of preparation. I was rear-ended a few days ago and have entered the wonderful world of back pain. Ice, meds, physio [Frown]

What "made" Thanksgiving, even more than the traditional (and may I say, superbly executed) menu was the collected kids' improvised Turkey Dance and Thanksgiving Song. Hilarious and sweet.

Happy Thanksgiving, mes amis/my friends!

Posted by Horseman Bree (# 5290) on :

14 around a rather-too-small table yesterday, with thanksgiving also for two birthdays on that day (a First and a Twenty-Third) which led to a surfeit of cakes, in addition to the roasted duck and chicken offerings, and three different forms of dressing.

Posted by lily pad (# 11456) on :

I love cake! A very quiet Thanksgiving here with lots of cooking but for the freezer rather than for a crowd. Sometimes life just isn't quite what one expects. Had tea with a friend this morning in the hot sun though so no complaints from here.

Happy Thanksgiving to one and all!

Posted by Meg the Red (# 11838) on :

Beautiful day here, so DH and I packed our contributions to the feast into our panniers and rode to Thanksgiving/birthday dinner. My newlywed niece baked her first cheesecake - a wonderful gingersnap spice concoction - and has officially inherited the title of Dessert Goddess.

Posted by piglet (# 11803) on :

I'm just back from turkey-and-all-the-trimmings - good wine, good food and good company.

Now have to contemplate w*rk tomorrow ... [Eek!]

Posted by Augustine the Aleut (# 1472) on :

Mine was paella (mushy for my dinner date, who is on chemo) but with razor clams to start and washed down with cava, and finished with peaches, all outside Barcelona with the table set in the sand at a beach café.

Posted by Caissa (# 16710) on :

We had turkey and all the trimmings at my father in laws on Sunday. My parents join us so there was 7 at a very small table. On the Monday, we drove up to the Fundy Trail to enjoy some hiking and the fall foliage. It was the Trail's last day before it closed for the season.

© Ship of Fools 2016