Thread: The All New Mornington Crescent Show Board: Oblivion / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=70;t=026166

Posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider (# 76) on :

The grownups have very kindly agreed to go into the loft where they hid the Mornington Crescent set after the last time we played. However, in order to have it retrieved from its secret hiding place, I had to promise on cubs' honour on behalf of everyone that we'll put it away when we're told to and play nicely and not disturb the grownups and put away our dirty clothes into the wash bin like what we've been told to and not leave them scattered all over the place.

Oh, and we've got to make sure we don't get silly and just randomly call out names of railway stations, so in the traditional manner for online MC play, make sure you justify your moves - it helps to predict and forestall likely objections as well - for example:

Euston Square - standard weekend opening, instantly declares Northern Line wild and no Nidd for four moves.

Next player:

Kings Cross St Pancras - yes, according to the pre-2010 rule revision this would be considered a reverse shunt, but firstly Northern Line is wild, and secondly it's expressly allowed without penalty where no moves have yet been played on Circle.

Get the idea? The grownups are likely to make us put the game away if they get bored.

So what better starter than the aforementioned Euston Square, with the above justification.

[ 18. May 2013, 13:31: Message edited by: Karl: Liberal Backslider ]

Posted by Sioni Sais (# 5713) on :

Oh Karl, what are you doing! That opening, with Northern Line wild, can draw the MC equivalent of fool's mate.

As this a whole ship of fools, I have to do something about it, therefore:

Hammersmith

Posted by LeRoc (# 3216) on :

Justify my move? Justify my move? Hah! Only so you can guess my whole strategy before I've even started! You'll find out about my 'justification' soon enough when I'm laughing all the way to Mornington and there's nothing you can do about it!

Aldgate

(There's a Barkinggate Gambit somewhere in there from the 1997 Book of Unexpected Strategies. Or maybe I just want you to believe that...)

Posted by Japes (# 5358) on :

Yes, but the little-known Book of Sneaky Strategies of 1745 would demand a cross-diagonal back-flip to

Whitechapel

To avoid any unintentional possibility of slipping off to Europe on Eurovision Night, of course.

Posted by Leorning Cniht (# 17564) on :

The sun has set, so I can play Willesden Junction, with an overground bonus for Gospel Oak. This puts Lambeth North out of play for the next three turns.

I'm going to have to play my joker now aren't I?

Gospel Oak - because the recent repeal of the Deep Line Green Chip rules means (despite what the Leamington Spa Crowd might think) that there are four undertricks along the Jubilee line, and that's two of them firmly in check.

Incidently, it's quite difficult at the moment - Giro d'Italia, First Test, Eurovision *and* the Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire MC Regional Finals all on at the same moment. I have a live feed direct from Mansfield Civic Centre, where Angela Zerlington is playing an absolute blinder. Four blue chips in as many moves.

Posted by Baptist Trainfan (# 15128) on :

Dollis Hill. No explanation is ever needed for this move, it is self-evidently self-evident.

Dollis Hill? You realize the only way I can avoid the splinch is to take an episcopal transfer to Southwark and that closes the river until after Vespers.

Posted by Ariston (# 10894) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
The grownups have very kindly agreed to go into the loft where they hid the Mornington Crescent set after the last time we played.

What grownups?

Anyway, just because I don't think that last attempt at escape actually worked, Dollis Hill

quote:
Originally posted by Ariston:

Anyway, just because I don't think that last attempt at escape actually worked, Dollis Hill

You're right - the episcopal transfer is only valid on a major feast day.

In which case I will have to assay Featherstonehaugh's Gambit, and take a sideways shunt to Dollis Hill.

It has to be after Vespers somewhere, so instead of wandering aimlessly around Dollis Hill I'll take you too ...

Perivale (substitute Night Bus service!)

Posted by Net Spinster (# 16058) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
It has to be after Vespers somewhere, so instead of wandering aimlessly around Dollis Hill I'll take you too ...

Perivale (substitute Night Bus service!)

Following the eve of Pentecost rule and the step zone rule, West Croydon.

Posted by piglet (# 11803) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Leorning Cniht:
... the only way I can avoid the splinch ...

I'm sorry, LC - I didn't have my spectacles on and read that as "avoid the spinach" which would obviously have put Covent Garden into spoon and caused general vegetative havoc.

However, talking of gardens, Island Gardens should be reasonably quiet at this time of night.

Opening up Docklands allows me to take a river cruise to Kew Gardens.

Horticulturist's bezique scores double after closing time, and puts Theydon Bois in crump.

Well, that's the entire Central Line in Knid, however it's a lovely morning (well it is where I am, I don't know about London) and so a gentle ride in Rotten Row is clearly called for. Hence Marble Arch - although you may have to carry your horse up the escalator to comply with the bye-laws.

Posted by Imaginary Friend (# 186) on :

Isn't horse-carrying banned on the Sabbath? Regardless, you've put the District Line into Spoon so I think I'm left with no option but to start waaaay out west at Heathrow Terminals 1,2,3.

Which doesn't help anyone, as the Lyttleton & Garden Ruling from 1985 makes quite clear. If you recall, Barry Cryer had just made exactly the move you've just made (well, parallel equivalence given the way the honours trumps are split). Probably distracted by Samantha, who had earlier related about how she'd been playing cards with Sven earlier and was holding a Full House when she was persuaded to drop them. But anyway, the result was, as I'm sure you've realised by now, that the only possible next move was Dollis Hill.

It's Bradford and Haworth Semifinals from 2004 all over again, I tell you.

[ 19. May 2013, 13:02: Message edited by: Karl: Liberal Backslider ]

It's Pentecost now, so the episcopal transfer is valid. Southwark, but note that with the central line still in Nidd, we're in danger of being stuck with hanging corners.

Dollis Hill

Tricky situation, what with the requirements for explanations and the move being the only one available and therefore requiring little explanation.

Incidentally, was anyone else at Bradford that year? Lovely chap there from Bali called Tik Etspliese who narrowly failed to take third seed Noah Ntri from Mozambique out in the opening round. Shame about the trouble caused by the Leamington Spa faction again; I understand that accommodation for MC fans is now hard to find in Todmorden and one pub landlord's parrot is permanently traumatised and keeps on repeating "Tottenham Court Road" in ever more excited tones of voice - the guilty parties know why.

Well. That kind of a move would usually call for a balancing action on the Metropolitan Line, but it's a Sunday in May, so the gasworks is closed for cleaning. Theydon Bois is still in crump, which blocks the widdershins route, so I'll have to trade two blue tokens for a red, and proceed to Dollis Hill.

I do think that we are in the throes of a Semantic Deviation here, not to mention a Signal Failure: while there may indeed be an intent to proceed from Dollis Hill to Dollis Hill, in practice this is very difficult unless one does a reverse shunt onto the Down Line. Which, as you will all know, demands prior authentication from the Line Controller not to mention Hand Signalling and the Laying Down of Detonators under Rule 55.

Best to escape all that and head for the verdant pastures of Whitechapel.

We've just had the triple-whammy of Pentecost, the Dean's birthday and the eve of a national holiday which, under Rule 1365(b), amendment [v] (Decanal Anniversaries), will take the Central Line out of knid and make Chancery Lane a viable option.

St. John's Wood is a traditional play after Chancery Lane, but it's too risky in the wider context. So instead I'll invoke the compass point rule, and make a northerly transfer to Wood Green.

With the lumberjack extension, this takes Theydon Bois out of crump and primes the arboreal accumulator.

[ 20. May 2013, 04:38: Message edited by: Leorning Cniht ]

Well, I'm glad you got us out of St. John's Wood as the First Test Match finished a day early and we could have been stuck there till close of play in the Varsity Match otherwise.

The Arboreal Accumulation rule - which has come in late this year due to a combination of the late Spring and a Points Failure at Lillie Bridge Depot - nudges one imperceptibly towards Seven Sisters, of course.

I've got this nasty feeling that I'm wrong here, but I think that Mudchute is the canonical play here.

Given the diagonals being occupied, the depots really hold the key at this point. Now, Mudchute would safely hold off any spoon on the Central line, but that play is well known and can ultimately lead to a full ruff on Northern, with all its undesirable consequences for the Red Queen.

Consequently, I'm going to play Bank.

It was General Schelling-Trench who first discovered that the transfer from Bank to Monument is blocked with the accumulator in play. He was said to favour an excursion to East India in these circumstances, but a more refined view suggests that the correct play after Bank is Swiss Cottage.

The Colonel was a bit of a maverick, and whilst a move to India is of course unnecessary, it does open up an oversea jump option for four turns.

Hence Ventnor. Ferries are in Nidd for two turns, but all closed Isle of Wight stations are of course open.

Licky cream anyone?

Easy peasy

Havenstreet

Mmm ... we're supposed to be being good children, so that may incur the wrath of our Fat Controller.

However I propose a solution which will hopefully satisfy all parties, both on and off the Isle of Wight: Ryde (St. John's Road) - because, of course, the only trains that call there are Tube Trains.

Change at Smallbrook Junction!

Under river symmetry, that's equivalent to a play of St. John's Wood with the Jubilee Line offside. Which means my obvious move is to give the accumulator another spin at Elm Park.

...which racing reference takes us straight to Doncaster, opening up Northern Rail services for four turns. Trans-pennine routes are in Nidd, of course, and there's the normal three-way spoon at Crewe.

Interesting though. I seem to recall a big argument about this scenario on ISIHAC once, which resulted in Humph being called upon to rifle through Samantha's drawers for a copy of that year's rule amendments.

The equine connection does pose a problem as so many of the stations near Yorkshire racecourses (Wetherby, Ripon) are closed.

However salvation for us lies at Pontefract (Tanshelf) which is apparently very convenient if you want to watch the geegees.

Putting us fairly in the Rhubarb Triangle. A bit of crumble and custard takes us straight via Appleby back into that London at Euston

Is Euston a viable option at this time on a Tuesday? [Confused]

Oh, hang on a minute, where you are (or possibly where I am) it isn't actually this time, is it?

Invoking the International Time Discrepancy (Places with a Half-Hour Difference) Excuse, I'd better play Cutty Sark, where it'll be God's Time™.

... which is presumably measured out by one of Mr. Harrison's Longitude clocks, conveniently housed nearby at the Royal Observatory.

Knowing that possession of a valid Travelcard gives one a discount on the Thames River Services, let's head back upstream to Tower Hill and leave Samantha's drawers untouched.

[ 21. May 2013, 14:43: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Aha! Did you expect me not to notice that you were avoiding a lateral shunt there?

Can I point out that it was clearly laid down in the 2011 Dove Holes and Thorpe convention that use of river services to circumvent otherwise prohibited moves is not valid? As the player on the left, I believe that I could put the cueball back where we started and make you take it again, but instead I'll have a free ball, pot Morden and hie me directly to MORNINGTON.... - only joking, Goodge Street

[ 21. May 2013, 15:18: Message edited by: Karl: Liberal Backslider ]

Cockfosters.

Sir Humphrey fforde-Rivers, the well-known explorer, established that playing Cockfosters was acceptable at any time in a private game, in the course of his 1937 sessions with the Duke of Buccleuch. Modern authorities, however, caution against playing Cockfosters willy-nilly in tournament play, owing to the risk of being stuck with Clapham Common on the next turn.

Oh dear.

Clapham Common.

(By a strange coincidence, within 2 seconds of my writing those words, Paul Merton uttered them during an interview on Radio 4's "P.M." programme. Weird, eh?)

[ 21. May 2013, 16:55: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Posted by Wet Kipper (# 1654) on :

Sorry everyone. By joining in at this precise moment - having missed my earlier attempted connection, the only move i have left is to go to Dollis Hill again, though I'm sure a seasoned veteran will know which of the 3 available moves will prevent a further loop.

Well, at least you got us back north of the River.

But a better player than I will have to take us forward. [Cool]

Is Finchley Road and Frognal one of the three?

quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
Is Finchley Road and Frognal one of the three?

It is, but it's an odd choice. I'd not personally want to leave myself open to a peak-hours terminating screw into the top pocket, but that of course is your choice. Suffice it to say that at tournament level I'd be looking for some skulduggery.

And indeed at this level - very clever Sioni, and you know exactly what I'm talking about. I think that we can put a stop to your little game with a quick hop to Watford Met

Posted by AndyB (# 10186) on :

*sighs* Predictable, oh so predictable.

Lurgan

Please remember that for your next move you need to have the right number of green and orange tokens - too many of the wrong sort and you'll not be able to go anywhere, in which case you'll not so much be looking for white tokens as the white flag.

You think?

So if I now suggested that you put Blaenau Ffestiniog in your pipe and smoked it, what then?

Don't even think of trying for Porthmadog on a weekday. Llandudno Junction is in Nidd for the Holyhead line and you'll be waiting for a long time for a bus from Pwllheli.

Pah. Aldwych should settle your hash, and don't bother trying to tell me you can't use a closed station if you have precisely three red tokens, they arranged a special filming.

Use them if you will, but it only takes one bright spark to hit Down Street and I think it's Mate in three.

You can resign now if you like, or prolong the agony.

It's just like the controversial (at the time) 2003 grudge match in Langwathby between Wimble "The Womble" Don Park and Wes Minster. Wim had just played a triple diagonal reverse shunt, when Wes chimed straight in with the Aldwych play. Of course, this was the start of all that trouble with the Leamington Spa faction, which we shouldn't revisit here, save to remind everyone how Wim's Yorkshire Terrier never really fully recovered. Suffice it to say that their attempts to overturn Wim's win had less chance of succeeding than my ambition to become Emperor of the Universe. Not that that stopped them from trying. I sometimes wonder if the game is permanently tarnished.

If you haven't played with Dave Wooding and Alison "Crusher" Hall, you haven't lived.

Back to Aldwych again.

{Edit: apologies to everyone who has never heard of Dave or Crusher... Old MC mailing list on mono.org yonks ago, including a wonderful IMCIT I had the privilege of playing in!}

[ 22. May 2013, 12:01: Message edited by: AndyB ]

And of course that's the last few plays' hard work wiped out isn't it?

No trumps. Deep-level stations wild. District and Circle in Nidd.

So.

Dollis Hill

Well done. [Roll Eyes]

[Frown] Sighs ...

Some people never learn, do they? So we'll have to go somewhere which runs Tube Trains outside London to resolve this.

We've already used up the Isle of Wight, so that won't do (and the Steam Railway is well and truly out of bounds anyway - remember that THEY are watching us!)

Fortunately we still have one option to play: our trump card of Braye Road (Alderney) [Devil]

Didn't I say mate in three?

Just warning, there's still a way out before I actually make the play that effectively seals this round.

Because I'm so nice, and it's a bit of a slow game, I'll not play it yet...

(NB note that cut and cover lines are +5 to hit against Chaotic Neutral at the moment)

Now you have posed us a Subterranean Conundrum.

For, of course we all know what a Cut-and-Cover line includes ... or do we? Does it include the Metropolitan Extension Line beyond Finchley Road, or the District Line to Upminster, for instance? Not much covering going on in places like that, I would vouchsafe.

Equally, what about C-&-C sections on bored lines - such as Canary Wharf station? Do we condemn passengers to the purgatory of an indeterminate wait just outside station limits? I know that happens all the time, but it's not intentional then, is it?

You really ought to be more careful! However I would suggest that South Kensington (District Line) (Deep Level) might just extricate ourselves from this particular fix - what's left of it!

The problem, Baptist Trainfan, is that second turn was out of turn - it wasn't the fifteenth Wednesday after you took away the first number you thought of on Willie Rushton's birthday, although I must admit that Karl's intervention does have an effect on play under Chapter XVI of the Constitution.

So, going back to Alderney, I think we're forced to go Hazelhatch and Celbridge - I shouldn't worry about mate in three, the King's at Elephant.

AndyB, considering that you only appear to have been playing for about 10 minutes, you're at an eye-wateringly advanced level, although I thought all that green/orange chip-balancing malarkey had gone out with the Good Friday Agreement ... [Big Grin]

You're making me look like a complete beginner, which is why you're going to forgive me for playing Leicester Square, even though it's still Wednesday here (just) and I'm risking putting the entire western hemisphere into spoon.

eta: Bother - missed the Wednesday deadline. Sorry about that. [Hot and Hormonal]

[ 23. May 2013, 02:31: Message edited by: piglet ]

Leicester Square? Well, I suppose it's excusable, given that it's not bank holiday weekend quite yet, but you'll get stuck in the crowds for the film premiere.

Far better to skip the cinema and stay at home in front of the TV.

So Shepherd's Bush.

Hmmm. That only goes to show how out of practice I am.

King's Cross would only fall into Karl's trap, so let's run away to Euston Square.

Good thing too, seeing that the BBC Television Centre at Shepherd's Bush has closed down.

However that association between TV and Squares can only lead to one place (and it's not a good one): Walford East (cue closing credits, fade to black).

Well done BTF. That means there is an opening now for Trenzalore

That opens up such a range of possibilities. You do realise that parallel universes are opening up as we play now, don't you? The Trousers of Time would fit Cthulu...

Tentacles in your trousers sounds like something to be avoided, so I think my play has to be Queen's Arcade. By warp shunt, of course.

Ongar seems the most appropriate move in the circumstances.

If we are on that theme then I think we can transit to Bushey Heath.

Nine Elms.

With a fully-charged accumulator and an Ambassadorial bonus, this gives me a transatlantic bonus.

McPherson Square.

Oh well, LC, if we've moved over to this side of the Pond ...

... let's see what people make of Toronto Union.

Oh, and as it's now Thursday, the western hemisphere is not in spoon. [Smile]

I'd say that Kipling might open up a few interesting possibilities, if you can keep your head.

Let's just quietly go to Pinner - fix this up and all that.

It's a bit glaring now, isn't it?

Having effectively tied a knot in the Trousers of Time, which must be quite painful for Cthulhu, we're back in our normal reality. Or what passes for it. Now, a conventional approach to getting to MC from here would involve a lateral transfer over the Picadilly line and a quick reverse peak time shunt across Northern. However, (a) that's boring, and (b) there'll almost certainly be a sudden howl of protest from someone sucked in by the Leamington Spa crowd, and frankly, after the tiring and tiresome events at last year's convention - in front of live TV cameras [Roll Eyes] I think we'd all agree we could do without either the hassle or the reminders of scenes which one would expect rather in the stands at a 70s football match. Suffice it to say that Arn Osgrove and Ray Nurslane are still in the high security wing of a psychiatric hospital at a secret location in the country, and no-one yet knows what happened to poor San T'Pancras' Cocker Spaniel.

But I digress. Obvious move to avoid it all kicking off is Tharbad Quays

Time to get out via Dover Western Docks.

Aha! I thought you might try that! Hoped indeed.

[sticks wet thumb in air to check for wind direction]

Regula 1

Are you sure you want to do that? Hours will seem like days if you take that route.

Still, on the plus side, it's less than fourteen hours from Mingo City.

Nothing else for it.

Mornington Crescent. Non-terminal, because I'm well aware that it would be an invalid move otherwise.

Mmm ... passing THROUGH M.C. ... that is a Highly Dubious Move which may be purely excused by the fact that there are no Passenger Conveniences at platform level leaving one is in Desperate Straits and needing to get to Euston as quickly as possible.

Only one thing for it (and students of Mr. Bazalgette's Great Victorian Construction will know why are going here) ... Beckton.

Oh dear ... can anyone lend me an old penny? ... Please? ... No-one? ... Bother.

After that spot of light relief, we must be ready for a 2/- Moonlight Special to Gravesend. Change at Ebbsfleet International for the beer run.

I'm glad you did that, LC - I haven't been to Kent for ages, so I think I'll drop in on my sister-in-law in Faversham. As you mentioned beer, a pint of Shepherd Neame from the brewery along the road should be in order. Cheers! [Smile]

So many choices, but I think we'll follow the gunpowder to Westminster, where we could pick up the Bishop and his finger.

quote:
Originally posted by Leorning Cniht:
So many choices, but I think we'll follow the gunpowder to Westminster, where we could pick up the Bishop and his finger.

Such a move in the religious direction requires a balance towards science, hence South Kensington to take on board a few more fossils.

Time for a very precise shunt via the District Line to Hounslow West before coming back via the Piccadilly to Turnham Green.

[ 25. May 2013, 07:36: Message edited by: AndyB ]

Posted by The Weeder (# 11321) on :

Oh My Goodness.

I have checked ALL the rule books and discover that AndyB's move really is valid, because this is a Saturday before a Bank Holiday.

So, having held on to make my move this long, I can help you all out, by way of a shunt to

Cockfosters

[ 25. May 2013, 11:33: Message edited by: The Weeder ]

fforde-Rivers rides again!

Unfortunately, Clapham Common.

Elephant. Without castle.

Well, that's what it used to say on the front of the trains!

Just like it used to say Ealing - take your pick, but I think you know where I mean.

Clever move that, BT - and by application of Piglet's Special Logic, I suggest we all get our passports ready, as the next move is obviously Pimlico.

But you don't need a passport if you're travelling by ferry to Kingstown!

[ 26. May 2013, 12:04: Message edited by: AndyB ]

And rapidly back to the present day at Holyhead.

Hook, line and sinker. Tower Gateway for the captured.

Brixton. Better buy a period return.

Wimbledon

Watch out for the balls!

[Yipee] I get to invoke the "Piglet-follows-the-Weeder Convention" of 1549! [Yipee]

Sticking with balls, although differently shaped: Twickenham

Clearly after all those balls, we are in want of a great big gherkin.

Aldgate would be the closest station to St. Mary Axe.

quote:
Originally posted by piglet:
[Yipee] I get to invoke the "Piglet-follows-the-Weeder Convention" of 1549! [Yipee]

Are you entirely sure of the date? It does seem a little bit early for the Underground - although the Tudors were indeed clever people.

Better go to Richmond although there isn't much left of the Palace.

Palace ping-pong it is, then.

Westminster

If you must insist on saying what you like, take a trip to Marble Arch and visit Hyde Park.

quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
quote:
... "Piglet-follows-the-Weeder Convention" of 1549 ...

Are you entirely sure of the date? It does seem a little bit early ...
I think it may have been caused by a crease in the Trousers of Time, or possibly a stretching of the Braces of Eternity. [Eek!]

As it's getting rather late I'm going to have to take a night-bus to St. Pancras

quote:
quote:
quote:
... "Piglet-follows-the-Weeder Convention" of 1549 ...

Are you entirely sure of the date? It does seem a little bit early ...
I think it may have been caused by a crease in the Trousers of Time, or possibly a stretching of the Braces of Eternity. [Eek!]

As it's getting rather late I'm going to have to take a night-bus to St. Pancras

The dating is from the council of Nicaea so is actually 1874CE. Night train rules apply so going to Canterbury West.

Hallo? Hallo? Is there anyone out there? Or have we been arrived at Outer Darkness (i.e. beyond the Travelcard Zones)?

We need to hop onto the Southern Electric and get back to Charing Cross pronto.

Sorry, due to engineering works you have been diverted to Liverpool Street - without actually arriving in Charing Cross.

For me the natural progression from Liverpool Street is Colchester to see my in-laws, but there are some of the wrong sort of leaves on the line, so I've got stuck at Hatfield Peverel.

We apologise for the inconvenience. Normal service will resume in the morning.

Now here is a woman with Intelligence and Understanding, who Truly Understands the railways we have in this part of the world.

We'll grudgingly allow a little progress: Witham.

[ 29. May 2013, 07:29: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Greater Anglia regrets to inform you that this service will be terminating at Witham. This is due to an earlier incident just outside the station.

I'm afraid your only possibility now is to go to Braintree.

I think the only option from there is to shunt across, back, forwards, and back again to Dollis Hill

quote:
Now here is a woman with Intelligence and Understanding ...

You're very kind, BT, but you obviously don't know me very well ... [Big Grin]

AndyB, that was a very unfortunate move, even for late on a Wednesday, and has, I fear, put everything north of the river in spoon until 9:00 a.m. BST on Thursday.

Tooting Bec isn't north of the river, though, so it should be all right.

quote:

AndyB, that was a very unfortunate move, even for late on a Wednesday, and has, I fear, put everything north of the river in spoon until 9:00 a.m. BST on Thursday.

Tooting Bec isn't north of the river, though, so it should be all right.

I'll fork the spoon by going further south and sending us to Morden.

I will spork that out by going to North Greenwich.

Now that spoons, forks and sundry items of cutlery are off-limits until at least the fourth Sunday in Trinity, other forms of weaponry will have to be deployed:

Cannon Street

Posted by kingsfold (# 1726) on :

Tower Hill

Weaponry, is it?

Well, in that case, a brief diversion to Woolwich Arsenal is called for, to pick up some supplies. Don't forget to bring enough for everyone, and you'll need a fair amount of spin to get the right temporal bounce off the river.

I thought that Westminster was the place for spin? Or was that only under New Labour?

That was only New Labour, this lot gave up spin in favour of outright lies.

Speaking of which, I am going to tell you I am moving to Turnham Green. You have to work out whether I have just lied or I am simply spinning, and make your move accordingly. Chapter LXVIII of the rulebook may or may not make your life easier.

Andy, I'm horrified that you would even think of fibbing.

ITTWACW!!! [Eek!]

However, I'm grateful for your dissembling, not to mention your pericombobulation, as it leaves me no option but a neat cross-court diagonal lob to ...

MORNINGTON CRESCENT!! [Yipee]

Now, as per the Treaty of Killiecrankie (1967) as amended by the Concordat of Trondheim (1992), a new game being started on the last Friday in May by a player with Orcadian ancestry has to begin with Thurso as there aren't any stations* in Orkney.

* unless you count fire-stations, police-stations and the long-defunct egg-packing station ... [Big Grin]

[ 01. June 2013, 01:01: Message edited by: piglet ]

Thurso is a fair bit north. From there I guess one can get to King's Cross by invoking the Rowling rule. No coffee or tea on the train, only hot chocolate (spicy).

Well played, Piglet!

After that long trip I think we should head to South Kensington for a rest.

quote:

Now, as per the Treaty of Killiecrankie (1967) as amended by the Concordat of Trondheim (1992), a new game being started on the last Friday in May by a player with Orcadian ancestry has to begin with Thurso as there aren't any stations* in Orkney.

* unless you count fire-stations, police-stations and the long-defunct egg-packing station ... [Big Grin]

<railway nut tangent>

There have however been plenty of railways on Orkney: there was (quite recently) the Sanday Light Railway and before that any number of industrial and military narrow gauge railways.

Old railways are like rats: you're closer to them than you would expect.

</railway nut tangent>

[ 01. June 2013, 13:46: Message edited by: Sioni Sais ]

Should we interpret that as a move to Sanday?

quote:
Originally posted by Net Spinster:
Thurso is a fair bit north ...

Not if you're from Orkney: it's definitely "Sooth". [Big Grin]

I once heard of someone from Shetland who was asked on an official form for his nearest railway station, and he put Bergen.

[Cool]

Cherry Orchard and Parkwest - takes some complex shunting, but I was able to avoid splitting up into two threads.

quote:
Originally posted by AndyB:
Cherry Orchard and Parkwest - takes some complex shunting, but I was able to avoid splitting up into two threads.

Since I think someone has invoked either the implied ferrying rule or the silent circumalbion rule, the only option is to continue so onto Sandown.

Sticking with the racing theme: Epsom. Now that it's no longer Sunday, I hope those of you of a delicate disposition won't object to a wee flutter ...

And for those who do object, hie thee to South Kensington, where the Natural History Museum butterfly exhibit offers a different kind of flutter.

Shame I wasn't here to put piglet under a Double Crust before that naughty little low straight there.

Assuming that hearts have been broken I think it's probably safe to play a double jump (indeed, it's essential to avoid being huffed) which I think puts my Armour Class to -2 with no loss of hit points and my green counter safely at Leicester Square. -2 to hit against Chaotic Evil (e.g. City of London Taxi Drivers) of course.

On the other hand, we cyclists neutralise the taxi drivers with our chaotic evil (even the lawful good among us, ie me!) and will take you evil doers off to Tower Gateway where you can repent at leisure.

Clearly this is a very dangerous place for those who have necks to be severed, so you will want a halberd that is well-crafted and sharp. Sheffield (Victoria) might seem appropriate.

I think hiding out at Royal Oak is obligatory after that move.

quote:
... I wasn't here to put piglet under a Double Crust ...

Thank God for that - I think I'd be a bit tough. [Eek!]

If poor Charles I couldn't find a royal oak, would a Gospel Oak do? Or would it be full of Puritans?

quote:
quote:
... I wasn't here to put piglet under a Double Crust ...

Thank God for that - I think I'd be a bit tough. [Eek!]

If poor Charles I couldn't find a royal oak, would a Gospel Oak do? Or would it be full of Puritans?

Botany day rule, I see. Surely some royal oaks can be found at Kew Gardens.

Plenty of queues on Saturday afternoons (in season) at Arsenal.

(Probably for burgers at half-time).

[ 04. June 2013, 07:40: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

It all sounds Barking to me

After reading the teddy-bear story in the Random thread in Heaven, I think Paddington would be an appropriate move. [Smile]

Time for a run to Ongar

Phweeeeeeep!

Unless I'm very much mistaken (always a possibility!) then that's a Fool's Mate in four unless of course there's a pinned Knight on the fourth rank (or indeed a skewered pawn, but that goes within saying). A Brooke-Taylor stalemate could also beckon, but that depends on which way the wind is blowing in Svalbard, as eny fule no.

Ches Ham used to play a really good end game in situations like this. Before that business with the Leamington Spa crowd buggered everything up, of course, he was playing in a final against Ed Jwair up, IIRC, in Otley. Anyway, Ed had lined up all his blue counters in a beautiful diagonal, when out of the blue Ches played Camden Town. What no-one realised was that this allowed him to then go on to spell out "Ed Smells of Poo" on the adjudicator's Underground map. Juvenile, perhaps, but how we laughed.

Perhaps you had to be there.

Edgeware Road

For the avoidance of doubt, which one? (and I don't mean Edgware or Edgeware)

[ 06. June 2013, 21:24: Message edited by: AndyB ]

I think Baker Street is a good play under Doyle's rule no matter which Edgware Road is meant.

Conan might prefer Barbican even though the spelling isn't quite right for him, but that was the best I could do under rule 657(a)(i)(9).

AndyB - it's a shame you didn't follow the above mentioned game as you would have been aware that Ed saved it at the crux by playing a reverse symmetry; predicting twelve no-score draws and a late kick-off at Old Trafford he played King to Hyde Park Corner (castles), leaving four overtricks and with hearts trumps, a high straight beating the previous full house. Seeing Ches' monkey and raising him a pony, he was able to bluff his way to Goodge Street and the game went on for some hours.

It's a shame you didn't spot that, really, because this post is really just a long way of saying MORNINGTON CRESCENT!

I'll restart us all at Mudchute

[ 07. June 2013, 12:23: Message edited by: Karl: Liberal Backslider ]

Oh dear. The problem with starting there is it's a very slippery slope.

Let's raise the tone a little at Covent Garden

Posted by Imaginary Friend (# 186) on :

Time for me to step back into the fray. I've been analyzing your tactics for the last few rounds, and I'm pretty confident that Wood Lane will leave you all stumped.

Kennington Oval. Obviously. SIX!

Oh God. I have a sneaky suspicion that KLB is referring to that game whose arcane mysteries are kept secret from all but the Chosen, and despite having a husband who's English and a father-in-law who used to be Chairman of a Cricket Club, I wouldn't dare presume ... but I suspect my only real option is ...

St. John's Wood

PS Well done, KLB, on an excellent win. [Smile]

Deuce, I think I must volley Southfields according to court rules.

That forces me to swap court, performing a reverse shunt to Chancery Lane

I think the residents of the Chambers there do their stuff in a different sort of Court ...

Mind you Rumpole often use to defend at the Middlesex Assizes at Uxbridge.

And - no! - you are NOT allowed to go to Penge - especially if you are looking for a vertically-challenged sort of house!

Those puns will drive me round the bend to Mornington Crescent!

Let's have a more open game this time and restart quietly at Acton Town.

[whispers] Well done, Andy. [Smile]

I reckon by this time of night Heathrow Terminals 1, 2 and 3 should be fairly quiet as most of the planes will have gone, even the one to St. John's, which is usually the last of the evening.

If you wish for quiet and under the necropolitan rule, to West Brompton hie.

It's really far too quiet now; I want a bit of excitement:

Piccadilly Circus

Come, come - it's so touristy. Why not try the classier delights of Sloane Square?

Because it's spooned? I think that gives a free pass to a mainline interchange under the M'Naughton rules, but I'm going to forgo that, take the four points for a miss and replace the cue-ball for you to take it again. I think that leaves you needing snookers, which could be tricky at this stage with the reds all gone and the brown up against the baulk.

Which naturally enough allows me to play Sheffield Cathedral {Supertram].

Meadowhell is of course in Nidd. In fact, it's best to consider it to be perpetually in Nidd.

O.K., Karl, if you are going to play dirty, I am going to

Severn Tunnel Junction

Hare to Sheffield Park under Trevelyan Lake Hunt rules, permissible since bluebell season is over.

quote:
... Supertram ...

As in Breakfast in America? [Big Grin]

Meanwhile, back at the game:

Assuming that north of the river is not in spoon until at least tomorrow lunch-time, Queensbury should be quite a sensible move.

You'd like to think so, wouldn't you? Of course, if the Leamington Spa mob had their way, there'd be no way out of that other than a diversion to Harrow and Wealdstone. I've long concluded that the primary motivation of that crowd is to make the game as simple and easy as possible. I sometimes think they'd be better off playing Mousetrap.

Anyway, that's two kings for white, so at the risk of being huffed, I'm going to tiddle my wink over to Tottenham Court Road

I have a feeling you can get arrested for that sort of thing, KLB. [Snigger]

In which case you may end up at the Old Bailey, so our next stop better be St. Paul's.

And after that a certain prison near East Acton

Does this remove the player from play?

quote:
Originally posted by Net Spinster:
And after that a certain prison near East Acton

Does this remove the player from play?

Not on a Friday.

Oo! Oo! Isn't this an overground transfer to Barking? I'm pretty sure I recall Tim Brooke-Taylor doing that back in 1988 and I don't think there have been any relevant rule changes since. It was the episode where Samantha revealed that she was having a real problem with her hands involuntarily gripping onto cutlery when she was nervous; apparently it was a good sign that on a recent date Sven was readily able to persuade her to drop them.

That would not have been valid if Sven had been the scorer today, as you well know.

Nevertheless, I think a trip to Bangor might be wise. Not the pale imitation in Gwynedd, though, my Bangor.

quote:

Nevertheless, I think a trip to Bangor might be wise.

Do you know, that's apparently exactly what Sven said.

Leaving aside Samantha's sex-l^h^h^h^h^h complicated relationships with her gentlemen friends for a moment, it's worth pointing out that under the Humph Memorial Rules all ferry termini are now wild. Which is just as well, as it allows me to go straight to Doc Penfro. Despite being below the Landsker local language and dialect rules still apply at a regional level, on'd ydyn?

I'm afraid the only expression I know in the language of those parts is iachedd dda, which may not be terribly helpful. However, in order to get AndyB a bit closer to his homeland, I suggest Stranraer for the boat-train to Larne.

PS Andy, I'll buy you a pint in Jenny Watts when we get to Bangor. [Smile]

[ 15. June 2013, 03:01: Message edited by: piglet ]

A certain dilemma. No trains on Newfoundland anymore so one can't, say, move via the Florizel and connect up somewhere (unless we are playing under mortmain rules). I think I'll play the anvil and flee to Gretna Green.

Not that there was any point going to Stranraer anyway as the boats now go from Cairnryan to Belfast! We'll stay at Cairnryan rather than going to the current railhead (Ayr of all places!) - note that we shunted via Kilmarnock and Troon.

[Hot and Hormonal] It's nearly 10 years since I left Belfast - things have changed a bit. Seeing we seem to be in Scotland, I think a diagonal shunt to Edinburgh Waverley is in order, so that I can go and visit some of my relations.

The HSS ran from Belfast in those days too, Elspeth!

Let's go to Kidderminster (SVR) (shunting via the Waverley route to Carlisle)

In that case it's a clear hop to Tenbury Wells via the Golden Valley.

[tangent]
quote:
The HSS ran from Belfast in those days too ...

It did indeed, and very good it was too. I thought the Larne/Stranraer ferry was still going when we left, but maybe not ... memory not what it once was ... [Hot and Hormonal]

[tangent OFF]

If the weather's anything like it was here today, it'd be a nice day for a ride on the Romney, Hythe & Dymchurch to Dungeness, just in time for lunch of scampi and chips at the Pilot.

Penmaenmawr. It's unmanned, so that invokes the Swanee Kazoo Variation. All narrow guage lines (not just the Welsh Highland and Ffestiniog) are spooned, with knock-ons for preserved lines running vintage diesel at weekends.

I think that also means that Conwy is in Nidd (or should it be yn Nyd?) but that should make for some interesting positional play down the line to Euston.

quote:
Penmaenmawr. It's unmanned, so that invokes the Swanee Kazoo Variation. All narrow guage lines (not just the Welsh Highland and Ffestiniog) are spooned, with knock-ons for preserved lines running vintage diesel at weekends.

I think that also means that Conwy is in Nidd (or should it be yn Nyd?) but that should make for some interesting positional play down the line to Euston.

SNAP Central Pacific Railroad Freight Depot

Good grief. How do you respond to that?

I suppose that forking to two stations at once would be a little complex for this game (for more information, see the MC part of the mono.org BBS) so let's go to Chislehurst

Why not just return to Victoria - it's so much less exhausting!

And a couple of stops along to Westminster, which should be fairly quiet as the politicians all seem to be in Belfast ...

Including half the Met in their Public Order uniforms (navy boilersuits etc - offset with a PSNI/G8 green baseball cap!)

Gunnersbury next, I think.

Are mainline stations still wild, or is that only on Tuesdays when there's an "R" in the month? If not, then King's Cross should do the trick.

Look, I know that the Mornington Crescent Weekly published a letter from the Leamington Spa mob last week, but that doesn't give divine imprimatur to their deranged wibblings. Certain people on this thread - and they know who they are - would do well to reflect on the wise words of the Garden-Cryer conference of 2009 in Thorpe Hesley - "The day a reverse-shunt diagonal is considered equal in points to a blue-chip payout on mainline stations is the day that the earth wobbles as Humph spins in his grave."

Bearing that in mind, and to avoid ecological damage, or, even worse, being haunted by a vengeful revenant Humph, I think it would be safest at this point to break the spoon by playing Rayner's Lane.

Willie Rushton would be ashamed of you after that move.

Camden Town High Barnet branch, shunting via the Charing Cross branch to leave it thoroughly forked.

Andy dear, with moves like that you make me look like a complete bumpkin. Which is why I'm going to play Hatfield Peverel.

Get out of that if you can ... [Devil]

Chopsticks are required so Cutty Sark for a China clipper. Note that the summer solstice is soon so St. John's day rules will be in effect as soon as the chief druid declares.

So that's 650 for 3 - a series of full tosses pretty much force a declaration there.

With cover at silly mid-on, short leg and trouser gusset, it's fairly clear that the ball's starting to get worn on one side, so before the new one is offered I'm going to attempt to subvert the seamers with a quick play of Goodge Street; obviously I'm stuck if it rains all afternoon!

Mmm, I think you must realise that you have to play along the street rather than across it if you're going to be able to put in a sensible wicket. But even then you are going to be in considerable trouble from the Health and Safety people - cricket in a public place, whatever next? So you'd be far better going off to Kennington for the Oval.

And there's a spinoff [Big Grin] because, as, and evry kno, the good folks (?) of Leamington Spa don't believe in entering that perilous territory called Sarfovtheriver.

Whereas all the best people live east of the River.

That's actually quite a menacing move, so we'd better head to Dundee and get the Bash Street kids to sort it all out.

AndyB, I suspect that it very much depends on which river you're talking about ... [Big Grin]

quote:
... With cover at silly mid-on, short leg and trouser gusset, it's fairly clear that the ball's starting to get worn ...

[Eek!] but also [Killing me]

That's just reminded me - the Chambledon Wimbleships'll be starting on Monday, weather permitting, so let's all head off to SW19 and cheer for another Andy:

Wimbledon

New balls, please ...

On the other hand, we might find some flowers of Scotland near Hyde Park Corner - much as I prefer Scotland the Brave.

Hoots mon!

I gather that Sean Connery will be at Wimbledon today. He's expected to get there about ten-ish.

Be that as it may, it wouldn't be a good play at this stage of the game. The less said about yesterday's cricket the better, of course (I've played more overs over lunch at school...), but that doesn't mean that Oval isn't worth a punt.

There are many parallels between cricket and the Great Game of MC. a couple of quotes might illustrate:

"It's possible that the real game is taking place at a higher level unattainable by lesser mortals, as in cricket" - Pterry, regarding the game of Cat Chess

"Going to a cricket match means sitting on a nice summer's day with a pint, nipping off for a pie, reading the paper, having a nap and a chat. If you get bored, there are some chaps in the middle playing with a bat and ball; they're often quite good at it so worth a glance" - me, describing the allure of Trent Bridge.

Northern Line in Nidd and mainline junctions spooned, by the way.

That just is not cricket!

Back on track with Waterloo East.

Mudchute. A very grubby-sounding place!

For that I'm invoking the postablution state rule and moving to Grays.

quote:
I gather that Sean Connery will be at Wimbledon today. He's expected to get there about ten-ish ...

[Killing me] [Killing me]
quote:
... much as I prefer Scotland the Brave ...

Quite right too. [Big Grin]

But I digress ... Hyde Park Corner, just because I can.

The repeated positions in this game are beginning to make my head go round in circles like Colonel Dedshott, but unfortunately Great Pagwell is a little too virtual for a game of virtual Mornington Crescent.

Instead, I will break the deadlock at Hammersmith - Piccadilly line, if you must know.

Mrs. Flittersnoop says Cockfosters as that's where her sister lives (whom she visits on her free Thursday afternoons).

(But we don't have to listen to her if we don't want to).

Presumably especially as it isn't Thursday ... [Big Grin]

In response to an invitation received in a recent letter from a Mrs. Trellis of North Wales ("Dear Mr. Gascoigne ..."): Wrexham

I think she would have lived in Llangefni or even Amlwch, but I think we should follow Lego down the road to Windsor and Eton Riverside - after shunting at the above two locations, not to mention Dublin North Wall, naturally.

Are you playing from Leamington Spa, AndyB? [Paranoid]

Incidently, it seems to me there's been inadequate explanation of plays on here recently, and we don't want the grown-ups getting bored and making us put the game away and wash our hands before Aunt Maureen arrives, so in future any plays that don't explain the reasoning coherently will not be eligible for Blue Chips, and will put the player In Jail for three turns unless they roll a double or pay a £50 fine. Fines of course will go into the middle for whoever lands on Free Parking (not of course when the Picadilly line's in Nidd)

With that in mind, and given that there's clearly a danger of a Uri Gellar* on the Northern Line, I'm going to open a vortex on Goodge Street and dump you lot all out at Michel Delving and much good may it do you. Hobbiton's wild; all locations East of the Woody End require an Oyster Card.

*looks like a bent spoon but is just a cunning trick.

No, thus the triple shunt.

The only possible reasonable response to that is to use the Pole convention to take us to Cair Paravel, but I really must insist that you give adequate notice if you wish to play virtual virtual Mornington Crescent rather than the usual game.

[ 26. June 2013, 18:22: Message edited by: AndyB ]

I probably mis-read the rules, but my understanding was that Cair Paravel would be in spoon (well, actually in sleigh, but that's really splitting hairs) because of the Perpetual Winter/Actual Summer Dichotomy (unless, of course, you're playing in the southern hemisphere, which puts everything up a gum tree).

However, as I'm in the northern hemisphere, and assuming Real Stations™ to be wild for the next three turns, I'm going to play King's Cross (Platform 9¾).

PS Do I get extra chips for not bollocksing up all that complicated coding? [Big Grin]

Only if you promise to eat all your mushy peas as well.

Clearly the only possible move from here is somewhere else which you pass through magically, hence one is drawn inexorably to Looking Glass Central.

Whether, however, this will deliver you straight to Glenfinnan Viaduct is a moot point. And, anyway, you may only be able to travel as part of a Group Booking or a Prearranged Party.

Piglet, you're confusing the Pole Convention with the King convention, I'm afraid - but no matter, that was a valid response.

Baptist Trainfan, that's a very dangerous move, because now everything works in reverse... so we are now heading back perforce to King's Cross Platform 9 3/4

Ah, but you've forgotten that the Class 91 services run with the locomotive at the back in one direction anyway; so backward is the new forwards!

In that case (and invoking the Inter-Regional Shunt Connection Protocol) Holborn Viaduct (Low Level) should take us down the hole with the Rabbit. And, before you say a word, let me tell you to keep all your City Thameslink malarkey to yourself - it is Thursday, you know.

Virtual Stations are perfectly valid in the normal game under the circumstances as they presented themselves, AndyB.

Seems to me that the corners are all taken, which would imply a guaranteed win for White. However, since that puts all mainline interchanges in Nidd, the Knaresborough Opening Dictum applies, which means that a very interesting play opens up through closed Yorkshire stations, such as Heeley. Bear in mind that because of the Temporal Overlap ruling anything beyond Meadowhall is Spooned, unless you go via Beighton.

As far as I know, trolley buses are now trumps.

[ 27. June 2013, 11:17: Message edited by: Karl: Liberal Backslider ]

If trolley-buses are trumps, then I suppose the only logical (or possibly even legal) move must be Sheffield

quote:
If trolley-buses are trumps, then I suppose the only logical (or possibly even legal) move must be Sheffield

Oof! Since you've not specified (Midland, Victoria (closed stations currently valid), Interchange...) then a quick nip to the wind-blown remains of the platforms at Attercliffe Road should guarantee that anything visible on a Joe Scarborough print is now spooned.

Blue Chip, I do believe.

Posted by The Midge (# 2398) on :

Is that Attercliffe Road Sheffield or Attercliffe Road, Westville, KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa?

Since Victoria has been played in various forms so much in the last page, the only place with enough crosses is Rorke's Drift.

Stanley Baker is ascendant and Michael Caine rules out bad impersonation's.

quote:
Originally posted by The Midge:
... Michael Caine rules out bad impersonations ...

I only said "BLOW THE BLEEDIN' DOORS OFF"!

I can only get away with this because you can't hear how bad* my impersonation is.

I think in the circumstances somewhere sarf of the river is called for: Tooting Bec

* very

Horncastle.

Well, it's nearly the end of the month.

Red Chip for Piglet. Wasn't even the right film.

That brings Benny Hill Milk Float pursuit into play and allows Millbrook (Hants) at South Hampton Docks

A little bit of homophony or even homonymity will transport us to the Marston Vale line and thus Bedford (St. John's). Alas, the route eastwards is now lifted but bits of it are very handy for star-gazing.

What's that, young fella? A bit of homophobia?

You'll be wanting Christopher St - Sheridan Sq then.

quote:
Red Chip for Piglet. Wasn't even the right film ...

He did more than one, you know. [Big Grin]

If I've got a red chip, according to my 1965 rule-book, my best option is Moskva 3.

Either that or I've got to miss a turn ... [Disappointed]

Perish the thought!

Lots of nice chips (together with excellent fish) at Whitby, of course. Come by steam train.

Via connection at Goathland I can do a Thinly Veiled Reference to a Sexual Offence children's literary link to Hogsmeade

This could be an interesting few plays; Svalbard is of course in Nidd which makes any moves relying on the Dust problematical.

Mmmm. Children's literature eh?

Well if we go back to the Island of Sodor will open up quiet a few possibilities. Knapford Junction

Sodor yourself. I think we should head up to Mallaig, for Skye.

I think we need to return to London (change at Fort William for the Deerstalker Express).

What about a visit to the Underground's most unsuccessful station? Hampstead (North End) aka "Bull and Bush" never ever opened!

No, that just won't do; you can't just plough through a whole zone where interchanges are spooned without either going ethereal or using a potion of the same. Since no such potion has been in any hoards, and you're not a magic using class, neither applies to you.

I think that means you're on the buffers at Euston for two clicks.

A quick check of the dilithium crystals and a level 3 diagnostic tells me I can recalibrate the phasor array and use the deflector dish as a tachyon phase modulator, which allows me to create a brief trans-warp field and deposit us on Vulcan

Very appropriate. I wonder how challenging Vulcan MC would be? It'd make our simple little game look childish, I'm sure.

[ 03. July 2013, 11:12: Message edited by: Karl: Liberal Backslider ]

Vulcan probably uses either a grid system based on latitude and longitude or polar coordinates (with 0,0 being the city center) or line name plus numbers for the station (e.g., Northern 4). It is amazing how few cities there are in the future trek (San Francisco being one notable exception). I wonder if Colma will still be active and will use a last gasp trick to get there.

(Still stuck on those buffers ...)

Especially if you mean the BART station in California, I'd say it's life, Jim, but not as we know it, which takes us across the universe to Abbey Road and St John's Wood - in good time for the second test.

(whatever happened to Headingley and Edgbaston, not to mention having six tests when playing in England?)

Unfortunately a side-effect of my last move is that I'm stuck at a red signal and there is no hope of the train stop dropping, so I can't take two turns in a row even after so many days - control just laugh at me when I ask for authority to reverse.

All I need is for the right person to move, and the junction and signal will clear.

It's got all bogged down hasn't it?

There's really only one way to lift this game out of its current mire.

Snowdon Summit

That's a Rack and Pinion bonus of course. Bus transfers are at double cost for four segments, but return journeys along the Conwy Valley line are free if that helps.

(Hint - don't do what I did in Llanrwst the other week and try to play a standard gauge time shift across to Barmouth. You end up being up the Afon Mellte without a paddle and have to perform a forfeit of singing Men of Harlech with a leek inserted into you. If your teammates are feeling generous, that is. Otherwise, well, you know...

Penrhyndeudraeth (Cambrian Coast Line) - I think the Explosives Factory has closed, but you must beware that you don't miss the train as it is a Request Stop!

Ok, a fairly basic move to Enfield Lock and the closed factory where they made the famous rifle.

Talking of armouries and such things, is Tower Hill wild on Tuesdays in July? And if not, will it get us out of the current fix?

If it is, obviously I'll miss another turn* ... [Hot and Hormonal]

* or possibly have to go Back To Old Kent Road

[ 10. July 2013, 01:34: Message edited by: piglet ]

Only on Tuesdays with a new moon so you are in luck. I'll send us to Aldershot to continue the trend.

Ha! Woolich Arsenal That will put you in knip if only one ferry is running. [Devil]

Oi! That knip khurt!

You lot really do like playing this game the silly buggers way don't you?

But if that's the way you want it:

Cockfosters

(this move of course uses the real Underground map, including the two stations they never dare put on the public maps).

quote:
Mrs. Flittersnoop says Cockfosters as that's where her sister lives (whom she visits on her free Thursday afternoons).

(But we don't have to listen to her if we don't want to).

As you can see we have already been through Cockfosters. I think this is an illegal move as it does not conform to the Humphrey Littleton Circle Line Convention. [Disappointed] It is an old rule but we really should maintain some standards [Roll Eyes]

Willie Rushton's Neasden Circuit is legal however. So it is Neasdon where the birds sing-done.

[ 10. July 2013, 14:19: Message edited by: The Midge ]

Which leads us on very nicely to Frank Muir and Dennis Norden's Bal-ham, Gateway to the South.

Of course we're on the Southern Electric now and the voltage is different. Who knows how that may affect us (not to mention the Lack of a Fourth Rail?)

Hmm. I think we might have to go round in circles for a while, so we might as well do that at Grange Hill and swot up on our rules while we're at it.

in which case I had better be quick before KLB gets in!

Mornington Crescent.

So lets start with Marble Arch. There is a risk of the Fool's opening being played before midnight I admit, but I'm willing to give it a punt.

Oh I say, Midge, that was well played! Right up there with the Men's Singles at Wimbledon (not much point in going there for another 50 weeks).

However, I understand there's now a cricket match going on ...

Nottingham

Fairly close to Gotham but alas no station there. Let's loop back to London under the knitting circle rule and Blackfriars near Barts. Who shall purl now?

What about Kni(gh)tsbridge?

That's making me feel sheepish already, probably with good reason!

[ 11. July 2013, 07:04: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

I'll round you up:
Barking.

I thought of stopping at MOONington Crescent, but perhaps we'd be better with a googly to take us to Covent Garden

Catford Bridge ( http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-23261505 )

[ 11. July 2013, 15:21: Message edited by: Karl: Liberal Backslider ]

Elephant & Castle.

quote:
"They named her Victoria after the central London station where she was found ..."
Do I spy an opportunity for a series of children's books, TV shows to fill in the gap before the early evening news and soft toys?

... with apologies to Paddington. Please look after this bear. Thank you.

Shunt to Goldhawk Road

Silvertown & London City Airport (closed).

Good job there's a test match on so you can't be out first ball, isn't it BT?

I think that's a blue chip from your stack to the player on your right. South is now dealer; fours are wild and two jacks highest bid.

Given the question mark hanging over the third umpire after yesterday's - erm - fun and games - I think there's probably a royal flush* to be had by playing Nottingham Victoria. Closed station/tram convention applies, of course. Robin Hood line is spooned.

*female member of the Windsor family going through the menopause?

Hmmm. So you're the prince of thieves, are you?

A trip to Port Laoise should sort that out.

(for those who don't get it, check your history [Biased] )

I am a name not a number.

Portmeirion

Via Portsmouth we are now able to at least get back onto a tube train at Ryde Pier, but I think it'll take a few more moves to get to the London Underground again.

Extra cover and silly mid-off in place, so assuming nothing at square leg and no-one bowling a googlie (such as Dollis Hill), then there should be a good lasting volley over the next set.

Using this anagram tube map I found Holding Nil. I believe it is a googlie and Hillingdon by any other name.

You try to drop hints, to steer things in a dynamic direction, but someone always gets creative in the Wrong Way.

Dollis Hill

[Mad]

No no no no no!!! Not Illish Doll!!!!

Just as well I've got some orange chips that I really want to get rid of ...

Belfast Central should be fun today. [Devil]

What a terrible waste of Orange Chips in non-peak hours on a Friday. You can't straddle like that without causing a reverse shunt in Zone 1.

So Dollis Hill

So if I go to World's End where does that leave you KLB?

Mornington Crescent I would have thought!

New game - remembering that the intention is to finish at Mornington Crescent, let us play that variant where we start at Mornington Crescent and try to get back there again.

Well, that's relatively straightforward I would have thought. It's Friday and there's no R in the month. I don't have any chips of any colour, therefore my move must be Moor Park.

[ 12. July 2013, 22:16: Message edited by: kingsfold ]

I have one chip of each color so I Bank, give Piglet a royal purple chip, and ante in a brown chip.

I had a bag of chips last night. The remains are a bit cold. There is no fish on Saturdays but seeing as I'm early I'll try to get some at Heron Quays

You can have some of my chips if you want them.

Probably a better bet than Mudchute which has presumably all dried into a brown, cracked desert in this hot weather.

quote:
... give Piglet a royal purple chip ...
Gosh - thank you! [Smile]

I've always wanted to visit Hampton Court, for which a purple chip is Just The Thing.

I don't have any purple chips. But now some of mine are turning green. So moving parallel along the Thames to Kew Gardens

quote:
I don't have any purple chips. But now some of mine are turning green. So moving parallel along the Thames to Kew Gardens

I'll take two of Midge's chips offered earlier and feed them to the ravens even further down the Thames at Tower Hill in exchange I'll give one cardinal red chip and toss a rainbow colored one in the river for whomever can make the right move to claim it (admiralty rules apply).

Very sneaky sacrifice, because if I'd collected the rainbow chip it would have been MC in one...

Euston Square might do the trick.

But since you're now doing a three way straddle, forcing reverse shunts into peak-time platforms and mainline interchanges, the Lyttleton Leap can be played, which of course could force a Dollis Hill Loop, send all counters to Mudchute, or simply allow me to play Mornington Crescent

New game of course in these circumstances normally requires a retention of spoon from the previous chukka, but since we've reached the end of the rubber I suggest we should play Reverse Mornington Crescent, where I start at Mornington Crescent and we play backwards, working out what the previous move must have been until we get to wherever the game would have started if played forwards. Bit of a brain teaser this one; the clue is a simple Times Crossword type: "Green shoots grow, maybe, where brass band came to grief in autumn storm (4,2,2,7)"

Best of luck.

Llih Sillod?

I saw what you did there, but we're playing Reverse Mornington Crescent, not Call of Cthulhu.

HOWEVER

I could play Rhylkos but I shan't; I very much doubt this reverse game's start is actually in deep space, so I'm going to play Goodge Street because I think that would have led to a Dollis Hill loop were it not for MC being possible direct.

What I have to do is to work out where would be nid from there- Because that is the most likely response. Which is quite difficult because playing backwards there are so many options.

Seeing how players in this match are so fond of the Lyttleton Leap I think that it must have been a parallel shunt from Russell Square

Yes, that's true, but you have I think forgotten that Russell Square is one of the stations which still have lifts down to the platforms. Clearly the reverse is not true, but can still assume that you must have descended from a station that is well above street level, I suggest Perivale might have been the one although, to be honest, I don't find it the most exciting part of London.

There was that Hawker Hunter jet fighter on the roof of a factory as one drove down the A40 but I understand that's at present indoors, being cleaned. Perhaps the old Hoover Building is more noteworthy; is certainly much closer to the station and you can do your shopping at Tesco's round the back.

Surely the move before that would have been Kensington Olympia

It could have been, but couldn't it also have been Harrow and Wealdstone?

Given that the previous (or subsequent, depending on how you look at it) move was Russell Square, wouldn't Kensington Olympia have forced a spoon, which would have made Goodge Street impossible as a precursor to the platform swap and reverse into Llih Sillod, unless of course the ball was still in play and the batsman hadn't played a stroke with the ball within the off stump. I think we have to assume that even with a defender inside the penalty box that would have required an offside move (and a missed turn) and the cueball returning to baulk. So my money's actually on the Harrow and Wealdstone move.

Happily, either move could have been preceded by Watford Metropolitan, but they would both have been bad moves. Either would be a very good move from Worthingtons Originals so that's my play. Sweet as.

That looks like some one played the West Coast Line trump card, so it could have been anywhere. I'm sorry I haven't a clue.

Wait a minute- there is a clue there Sweets as nut maybe? Knutsford could have been the play.

Aha! That's making a lot of sense now. I'd better get in quick because the previous play must have been Caergwrle. Bus links from Abermorddu would have been wild, and Crewe in Nidd.

That would be an obvious ploy to queen a pawn from Rhosllannerchrugog tram stop (dis.)

So I guess the previous move is also pretty obvious.

Wrexham? That last move would only make sense if someone had played the Beeching Block. My Mony is on Carrog which would probably be a response to Owen Glendower's Standard being in play.

Aha! You have played the Preserved Railways (Great Western Section) Crossing Places card - clearly with a polished brass safety valve bonnet to hand!

That invites - nay, compels us - to go to Williton, thus leaving the entire Trans-Siberian line east of Vladivostok in Knid until at least next Monday (depending on your time zone and what the Commissars will allow).

BT - we are playing the reverse game, remember?

That means that your apparently forward play counts as a reverse, and despite the bleatings of the Leamington Spa mob about how reverse running on lines built in the steam era should be considered kosher, the fact remains that the official game has never made this distinction, nor seen any need to do so. MC is a simple game with a simple rule-set and it's therefore inappropriate to introduce complicating factors that might make the game less accessible to new players. Not that that would bother the Leamington Spa mob whose average age is about 104 - perhaps it's a form of geriatric elitism?

So, treating your forward move as a reverse means you lose two red chips, the cueball is replaced at Carrog and we're left with the question of where the Owen Glendower move must have originated. My thoughts are that Rhyl or Maesteg would appear to be obvious candidates, but they'd have put the North East in Nidd for four turns which clearly didn't happen, so I'm left concluding that, amazingly, it must have been Aldwych

Are you absolutely certain it wasn't Strand (eastern tunnel)?

Oh well, in that case the only move which I can imagine brought us there would have been from Monument

What a monumentally stupid move that must have been. That could have been in response to a potential fools opening. Evidently the improbability matrix tussle between South End on Sea and the GWR/ and a member Leamington Spa preservation set would be a response to one of Douglas Adam's favourite plays Fenchurch Street.

(Someone missed a turn working out why we like dried leaves boiled in water and how to prevent the shoe event horizon).

It's very much looking like the match must be one played under the MCC Ashes Series Variations, which means that it might ultimately have started at Kennington Oval or St John's Wood.

Given that, I think that unless a Forward Defence was in use and all ticket booths closed so forcing use of machines or Oyster cards, then the move previous to that must be Tottenham Court Road

Moving backward from there in time gives us Oxford Street, however I must say that I think I'm getting out of my depth, which is always a Bad Thing for Baptists ...

quote:
... getting out of my depth, which is always a Bad Thing for Baptists ...

[Killing me] [Killing me]

Not just Baptists, BT. At the moment I'm a Very Confused Anglican - I missed a couple of turns and now I don't know whether I'm coming or going.

However, God and Air Canada willing, at silly o'clock on Monday morning I'll be in the near vicinity of Heathrow Terminals 1, 2 and 3, after which I may miss quite a lot of turns due to computer shortages.

Turing over the top card of the discard pile, I see it is the Angel and I think it was played at this point (hence Heathrow) but to make that move would require Temple to be the previous stop.

There appear now to be no Nidds or Spoons, and no diagonals built up anywhere. This indicates we're very nearly at the beginning of the game.

Therefore I suspect someone was developing his bishops at this point and the most likely previous station was Westminster. No-one has castled or advanced his knights yet so I think it can only be a move or two away to find the start.

Obviously said Bishops - or at least two of them - had travelled from their seats in other parts of London. St. Paul's is too obvious, so clearly we need to go back to Southwark. (It would be more convenient if there was a station at Borough Market, but even if you pulled the alarm signal and got the train to stop, they wouldn't open the doors for you. Anyway, how would you get down from the viaduct?)

On the other hand, I think that Southwark was a reaction to being too far north. The previous move was obviously Tooting Bec

Which follows on naturally from Honour Oak Park

Hmmm ... whether to follow (or should that be precede?) the "oak" or the "park" aspect of that move will probably get me into such deep water that I'll need BT to get me out of it ... [Big Grin]

I think I'll use the scientific approach:

**Eeny, meeny, miny, mo ...**

St. James's Park it is - spoons and knids be damned!

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand I think that the Brooke-Taylor convention (always a Goodie, that one) confirms that that must have been the starting station, because I can't think of anywhere one could have got there from given what we already know.

Reading that match in normal order what a smasher it was! Clearly White was right not to enforce the follow-on, while South could have declared on three out of four diagonals and seen the Red Queen out on 35/4 and a run rate of 14 per chukka.

Waterloo

Pull!

I'm off for some deep extra cover at St John's Wood

Wicket keeper at Pimlico that will put the batsman in danger of being stumped if they go down pitch on the Jubilee Line. Watch out for them trying to take a boundary on square leg.

That leaves BT needing snookers. I think there's a possibility of the green going into the left side pocket, but if he misses then not only is the cueball straight into someone's pint, but he's also left needing a snooker on at least the pink.

So I suspect that BT's cue is on the table and he's ordering a pint of Felin Foel.

Which frees me to play a Royal Straight by going to Edinburgh Waverley

And I shall drive you round the bend veeeery slowly at Firsby East Junction

I think I will try for the polka dot points with Corrour

Transfer to Fulham Broadway for a quid over £40mil.

I am absolutely hopeless at snooker, and I've used all my chips too.

I think that leaves to the delights of the weekly train to Reddish (South) although I'll have to wait till Saturday for it to appear.

As long as you don't mind the rest of us leaving you behind and racing off to Crystal Palace. Time's a-wasting, you know, can't hang around...

Yes we can if we are Broad minded enough.
Hanger Lane

I'll see your broad mind and raise you one Broad Street

This situation arose back in '96 in the Leeds University Dropouts Association quarter-finals. To cut a long story short, the position hinged on the gap between the base led forward carriage line and the split of trump suits through the second discard stack.

As the rules were declared in favour of the Risky variation, the red corner were able to enforce a follow-on and yomp straight out to Bedford St Johns via a closed station joker which of course led to a rapid incursion through Down Street and mate in six moves. However, we're not playing that variation but rather Old Classic Rum, which means that there's a pin on most stations north of Monument. As far as I can see, therefore, the best move is to gain priority via Bank and use a reverse semi-circular parry to allow a point to be scored on target, which takes me to Picadilly Circus

[ 26. July 2013, 11:53: Message edited by: Karl: Liberal Backslider ]

I'll think I'll gin with some beefeaters at Tower Hill. I'll also invoke the deadman hand's rule by cashing in the knave of spades for three black chips which I give to the three previous players.

I will increase the saturation on the black chips to reveal an image of Old Street

(edited for invalid move!)

[ 29. July 2013, 15:52: Message edited by: AndyB ]

Hah! Hah! And Yes!

Down Street

[Devil]

Please remember it's a weekday. The clue is "Man who faff about when doors closing at 0815 at Paddington be found as fry-up on live rail by 0900."

I will invoke the Dorachon convention to travel to Upminster

Ashes moves are disrupted by bad light and heavy showers so I'll take a diagonal shunt to Westminster.

I do believe that the recess spoons all MPs and leaves the rest of us on Zero Hours Contracts with no holiday pay. [Devil] Unless you happen to be Humphrey Littleton's heir. Euro MPs are knid of course.

quote:
Euro MPs are knid of course.

And so a move to Paddington to baste.

[ 06. August 2013, 14:22: Message edited by: Net Spinster ]

Goodness, but I've missed a lot of turns. At the moment my nearest station is Colchester, so that'll have to do for now.

Posted by Von Bingen (# 13902) on :

Haven't been around here in a long time!

But...Taking current events as an inspiration I'm using the Tardis manouvre to go backwards in time to...Brompton Road

Pah. Let's take a wee run to Gare d'Orsay

Is that match abandoned and I just take a sneaky wee run to MC, avoiding all tokens dropped on the way out the door?

I think we've been running to a Summer Holiday Timetable or even a Skeleton Service.

Why don't we just assume you've run to Mornington Crescent, walked up the road, had a saunter around Camden Market and are now raring to go.

So: over to you ...

Posted by pererin (# 16956) on :

The sticker peeled off the faded in-car diagram to take us to Blake Hall.

An even more faded poster (this one) barely clinging to a gas-lit station platform awning tempted us to sample the dubious delights of Winslow Road - if you catch the right train, you can even partake of breakfast in the Metropolitan Railway Pullman Car.

[ 28. August 2013, 12:44: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Posted by L'organist (# 17338) on :

... then but a short hop to Princes Risborough

I rather fancy a stroll along Princes Street, so off we go to Edinburgh Waverley.

I was on holiday recently, and had the experience of trying to fly a kite. The wind dropped, but just before it landed in a rock pool a gust bore it back aloft.

Therefore Robin Hood's Bay [dis.]

Aha ... taking from the rich to be given to the poor.

Probably won't be found anywhere near Bank then.

(Did you notice how cleverly I have got us back onto the Northern Line, albeit the wrong branch?)

Had I been following Piglet I would have suggested Balloch for the other branch of Jenners at Loch Lomond Shores.

[ 29. August 2013, 09:57: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

I did notice, and I'm amazed at your Chutzpah. You will be aware, of course, that lateral straddling carries a significant risk of backfilling at mainline interchanges, as exemplified in the Grassington and Linton Open back in 1986. This was of course pre-Leamington Spa, or there'd probably have been blood in the beck before teatime.

Cockfosters, obviously.

Not so obviously; Chutzpah usually sends one to somewhere like Golders Green which is fortunately many miles from a certain station near Coventry which we will not mention.

[shudders] indeed not - doesn't mere reference put the Circle line in Nidd?

Now, I think there's a poor lie on the District, and there's no way that that broken-down DMU near Hitchen will go into the top left pocket, so I think the obvious thing is the safety shot - Kings Cross St Pancras - which leaves the jack firmly against the bottom straddle.

Green Park and an indigo chip to Karl to pay for the vwl.

They cleared a carriage, and then we stopped for a suspiciously long time between stations, but eventually we arrived at Victoria.

Do you mean Chhatrapati Shivaji Station in Mumbai, formerly known as "Victoria Terminus"?

Are we in Manchester, Nottingham, Sheffield or Swansea?

Or have we crossed the Irish Sea to Belfast (Great Victoria Street)?

Precision is of the essence in this merry game.

(P.S. I actually travelled to Sheffield Victoria once, first-class Pullman on the "Master Cutler" from Kings Cross around 1963).

I mean the Victoria that's one stop (or two stops counting the secret stop under Buck House) on the Victoria Line from Green Park. It is the only one simply called Victoria station. [Razz]

Spoilsport (pouts and takes the hump).

In that case: Walthamstow Central.

Tears a hole in the space-time continuum, and emerges at Walthamstow Hoe Street.

BTF, could you clarify whether that was the Great Victoria Street which closed in 1976 or the one which opened in 1995?

Either way, I think Green Park would be in order.

What have you all been up to while I've been away taking in the lush green scenery at Manorbier?

I'm playing a holiday post card as a trump just to make you all jealous.

Posted by Wet Kipper (# 1654) on :

I think the new UK car registrations have stunned everyone into needing to check whether or not their moves are valid.
No need ! it only affects us when the second digit changes, so we don't have to worry about it till March.
with that in mind I will set everyone's mind at rest and provide plenty of onwards possiblities by choosing Carpenders Park

Posted by Dal Segno (# 14673) on :

[/lurk]

Harrow & Wealdstone

[lurk]

North Weald.

Can't get very far from there now so Ongar

Charing Cross (Jubilee Line)

If I play Westminster at this point will it put the entire Jubilee line in knid?

Evidently, going by the silence...

Of course, since a Monday morning has now been and gone, the peace and quiet means I can play Mornington Crescent and yah boo sucks to the lot of ye [Razz]

Probably time to put the set away or we might not be allowed to play again if the grown-ups think we've left it out and aren't actually playing with it. We'll get a lecture on how if the little trains go up the hoover then they're gone and it's our fault.

I'll pack it away since I won.

[ 09. September 2013, 11:41: Message edited by: Karl: Liberal Backslider ]

Posted by Ariston (# 10894) on :

Oh Karl. If only you knew who was watching over this thread now, you might not have been so eager to make that very amenable suggestion. If even you think it might be getting time to call it a night and go out on a high note...

Not to worry. It'll be back later. It always is.

Thread CLOSED
—Ariston, Circus Host

© Ship of Fools 2016