Thread: "I need a coffee"? Board: Oblivion / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=70;t=026227

Posted by NJA (# 13022) on :

Are you addicted and does it matter?
Regardless of recession, expensive coffee shops continue to appear and do well.

Would having to go without make you unhappy?
If you are a self-confessed addict, what would happen if you went without for a day?

According to the Daily Mail , a mug of tea is 75mg, 500-600mp/day can lead to the same effects as withdrawal.

Insomnia
Nervousness
Restlessness
Irritability
Stomach upset
Fast heartbeat
Muscle tremors

Wiki lists various positive effects so maybe non-drinkers should be encouraged more?

Personally I find the smell makes me want to drink some, even telling myself "I need a coffee", but I find that if I just walk away so does the perceived need. But I enjoy both coffee & tea, except in really hot weather, so in moderation it's a blessing from God, not a curse.
It stimultates / refreshes and seems to make people feel good and promote interaction and business, as it has always done:

...in the major cities of England, Austria, France, Germany and Holland, coffee houses were quickly becoming centers of social activity and communication. In England 'penny universities' sprang up, so called because for the price of a penny one could purchase a cup of coffee and engage in stimulating conversation. By the mid-17th century, there were over 300 coffee houses in London, many of which attracted patrons with common interests, such as merchants, shippers, brokers and artists. Many businesses grew out of these specialized coffee houses. Lloyd's of London, for example, came into existence at the Edward Lloyd's Coffee House.

(source)

Posted by Alan Cresswell (# 31) on :

I don't need a coffee.

I need another coffee.

Posted by Morlader (# 16040) on :

I came down this morning to the aroma of ground coffee from the filter machine. Very tempting, but I can't drink it now, gives me heart palpitations. [Frown] Nearest I can manage is decaff from a jar .. Not the same thing at all.

Posted by Fineline (# 12143) on :

I love coffee. I don't need it - I'm better without it, as the caffeine affects me badly, so I have no more than five cups of coffee per week. I love going to coffee shops though - I can see how they are doing well in the recession, because they are somewhere where you can sit on comfy sofas for hours and use free WiFi, just for the price of a cup of coffee (albeit overpriced!). You have the sense of going out and treating yourself, rather than staying home. Way cheaper than the cinema, or going out for a meal.

Posted by Boogie (# 13538) on :

I drink redbush tea - no caffeine, and I love it.

BUT I have one lovely frothy coffee every day at 10:30 (now!) with a read of the Ship.

I would miss that one!

[Smile]

Posted by daisymay (# 1480) on :

I always put coffee with milk and sweetness too. I got told at the hospital to drink at least one a day to help me! Wow! I have one always at lunchtime.

Posted by Zacchaeus (# 14454) on :

I love my morning coffee, it has to be 'proper' coffee, in buckets. And yes I am addicted, if I don't get it I have a withdrawal migraine.

Coffee................

Posted by Sioni Sais (# 5713) on :

As NJA mentions "Many businesses grew out of these specialized coffee houses. Lloyd's of London, for example, came into existence at the Edward Lloyd's Coffee House."

I don't think it is a coincidence that coffee drinking became popular at a time of growth in business and trade. Lloyd's and other trading centres can appear staffed by people on a caffeine high and I suspect this was more so before computer-guided trading.

Now, where's my mug .....

Posted by Alan Cresswell (# 31) on :

quote:
Now, where's my mug ..... [/QB]
Here!

Posted by LeRoc (# 3216) on :

It's morning here, and I'm currently going through the "I need coffee to be able to make coffee" paradox.

Posted by Moo (# 107) on :

I have a coffee maker that makes one cup at a time. First thing in the morning I have coffee with chicory.

Around ten, I have flavored coffee with real whipped cream. This is one of my favorite forms of self-indulgence.

Moo

Posted by PeteC (# 10422) on :

I have coffee three time a week at the mall, as a reward for going to my exercise program. And then, two cups every other week when my housekeeper is here (She does all the heavy, miserable cleaning I can't cope with, not the everyday stuff).

Otherwise I drink tea. Black, green, white pekoe, darjeeling, ginger pekoe, chai, tisanes, anyone?

Posted by lilBuddha (# 14333) on :

quote:
Originally posted by PeteC:
Otherwise I drink tea. Black, green, white pekoe, darjeeling, ginger pekoe, chai, tisanes, anyone?

I like coffee, but I love tea. Even herbals, sorry Professor Elemental..

Posted by Porridge (# 15405) on :

Tea addict here, though I do drink coffee on mornings when some client crisis has deprived me of sleep the night before. Home brew, drunk black, to get me through the usual 6 a.m. chaos of re-scheduling everything because a staffer's out sick.

Otherwise, I drink strong tea, with lemon and sugar. I drink it all morning, have another tall mug at 4 p.m., and one after supper (sometimes before bed, too), but the latter ones are with milk.

I don't think it's withdrawal, but I get sad & cranky without my tea. The 4 p.m. one especially is my comfort fix.

Posted by Zach82 (# 3208) on :

I'm not addicted to caffeine. It's just physically painfully to go without coffee in the morning.

Posted by Ariel (# 58) on :

Yes, I am a caffeine addict. I've had to give up coffee because of caffeine sensitivity but I love going out for a decaff* coffee and cake at the weekends (decaff mocha and I'm happy).

I'm also semi-addicted to dark chocolate. I can kick the habit for a few days or even a couple of weeks, but not permanently.

* It never is 100% decaff but it's at a level I can handle.

[ 26. October 2013, 13:42: Message edited by: Ariel ]

Posted by balaam (# 4543) on :

I usually arrive at work 15 to 20 minutes before the shift starts, the reason is that gives me time for a cappuccino. It is only after that that I can function well enough to do the job.

Posted by Eigon (# 4917) on :

It took me some time to realise that the terrible headaches I used to get while I was away at re-enacting shows were caused by drinking water all weekend rather than coffee. I tried to give it up, and did for a while, but now I just make sure that I go off and have a non-Medieval coffee once a day over the weekend.

Posted by Lamb Chopped (# 5528) on :

Coffee with chicory, mmmmmmmmmmmmm. I'm not addicted, but a cup in the morning helps me face the pain of reading certain authors.

Posted by Signaller (# 17495) on :

Don't like the taste, don't like the pretentiousness that goes with it, and positively hate the idea of becoming addicted.

Smells nice though.

Posted by St. Gwladys (# 14504) on :

My working day always seemed to go amiss if I didn't have a cup of coffee when I got to the office.
A friend of ours in college used to drink filter coffee. He'd start off with one scoop in the filter, and gradually work up to about 6 scoops to make one mug of coffee. He'd then go cold turkey before starting the cycle again. [Eek!]

Posted by Margaret (# 283) on :

I realised I was addicted when I joined my husband on a trip he'd organised for students on his new religious movements course. I'd had my usual three or four mugs of coffee by the time we set out after lunch to drive to Bhaktivedanta Manor, just north of London, to stay overnight with the Hare Krishnas. They generously provided us with breakfast in the morning, and that was fine, except I rather missed my coffee (they don't drink tea or coffee). Ah well. Then we set off round the M25 for the London Mormon Temple. I was starting to feel slightly headachy, and some of the students complained of headaches too.

We got to the Temple Visitors' Centre, to be welcomed warmly, - with Barleycup and herb tea, suitably caffeine-free Mormon drinks. By this time I was feeling really ill, sat there through the videos about the joys of Mormonism they showed us with my eyes closed, and finally had to head for the ladies' loo where I threw up (it was right next to the auditorium so everyone could hear me [Eek!] ). I huddled in the back of the minibus for the last stage of the journey, to visit the Scientology HQ at East Grinstead.

Whatever you think of Scientologists, there is at least one thing they're very good at, and that's brewing strong coffee. A kind Scientologist took me to somewhere I could lie down and made me coffee - several cups, in fact, until I felt human again. The rest of the party got coffee, too, before we set off home, so we all recovered. But my husband never tried taking students on a similar trip again...

Mrs Sioni tried to ditch coffee and caffeine years ago when she was diagnosed with arthritis. We checked the do's and don'ts and caffeine was firmly in the latter so she dropped coffee, cola and all similar drinks. It was OK for about 12 hours, then the nausea, headaches and tetchiness set it and it was hell for another two days until she decided that everyone had suffered enough. I suppose that makes it a dependency rather than an addiction.

Posted by jedijudy (# 333) on :

Tea is my main beverage in the mornings, but I have become very fond of having an iced coffee afterwards.

I went to D Donuts for a while, but that was expensive. Then I found that Mickey D's iced coffee was pretty good, and only a dollar!

My joy was complete when I found iced coffee in cartons at my local grocery! [Yipee] It's not the best, but I doctor it a little with sweet cream, and really enjoy my little treat which is also less expensive!

Should I buy one of those Keurig things, or not?

Posted by comet (# 10353) on :

I've been drinking daily coffee since I was probably 14 or so. my mother is a coffee snob. Her family were all coffee snobs. I became a coffee snob. My daughter is a coffee snob and now works at a professional roastery as their head barista. We're basically a pretty hardcore lot.

And yet - at times when I'm broke and out of coffee, I get bitchy about it but I've never gotten the headache or nausea other people do. which surprises the hell out of me because I'm a very habitual drinker and I certainly do crave the stuff, I've just never had withdrawl. and I'd rather go without than buy cheap robusta.

I tend to always purchase from small local roasteries; none of the big national brands really cut it by the time I can get them, I assume it's a freshness issue. If I have to choose a national brand it would probably be Peet's from San Francisco. But generally, I'll find the local roastery and hunt down their best through trial and error. The best coffee in my somewhat limited experience is Alaskan (with the exception of Lava Java in Maui. Hawaiians seem to "get it", too. The peabody beans in HI are outstanding.) While I've not been all over the world by any modern standards, I can say that I've not found coffee that matches AK coffee in Seattle or Paris, at least.

At home: piping hot from a press, black. if I'm reheating a cold cup I'll add heavy cream or coconut oil. out and about: if the beans are good, espresso or americano (with about half the water they usually add) sometimes with a glop of heavy cream or a latte if I need the calories. no sugar or syrups. ruins everything!

Posted by Stercus Tauri (# 16668) on :

When I was getting cancer treatment I didn't touch coffee for a month and didn't miss it. Then one day I felt like it again, and was soon back to six or more mugs a day when I'm working at home. If I'm away from home the lack of coffee doesn't bother me, mostly because I prefer my own brew and never drink it in the car. If I can't get to sleep at night, or wake up in the night, I'll often read for half an hour, drink a mug of coffee, and then go back to sleep soundly. No - I'm not addicted...

Posted by Starbug (# 15917) on :

I have a mocha when I arrive at work, but apart from that, I don't really like coffee. For the rest of the day, I drink tea. The smell of coffee makes me feel sick - the last time I went to New York, I thought I was pregnant, but it was just the smell of coffee that seemed to be everywhere first thing in the morning.

Earlier this year, I went to an Amy Grant concert in London and was caught in roadworks on the way back. By the time I got on the motorway, it was the wee small hours of the morning and I was worried about falling asleep at the wheel, so I stopped at the services and bought a triple shot cappucino. It kept me wide awake all the way home - and for the rest of the night, when I was desperately trying to sleep! I finally felt the caffeine leave my body at 10:30 the next morning. That was a fun day at work!

Posted by georgiaboy (# 11294) on :

quote:
Originally posted by jedijudy:

ive!

Should I buy one of those Keurig things, or not?

The church office where I work part-time has recently acquired a Keurig 'thing.'
Plusses: It's convenient and very easy to operate.
There seems to be quite a variety of coffee (and tea) blends available for it.
Minusses: I think (though I don't know for certain) that the coffee pod thingys are rather expensive.
My biggest complaint however is that the coffee doesn't taste 'brewed.' The effect is more of brown hot water than real coffee.

I still keep using it, though.

I alternate between a drip coffee maker and a French press. My wife has one of those Keurig jobbers. I hardly ever use the Keurig machine. Neither, come to think of it, does my wife.

As I mentioned above, I have an electric drip coffee maker that makes one cup.

I like it because I can blend whatever kind of coffee I want. AIUI with a Keurig you have to buy pre-measured coffee, and the choice is much narrower than if you were using loose coffee.

Moo

Posted by luvanddaisies (# 5761) on :

Has anyone got one of these Aerobie Aeropress thingies? Is it as good as the reviews on Amazon seem to suggest?

Posted by Jade Constable (# 17175) on :

Is a French press the same as a cafetiere? Because that is always my preference - low tech, most ground coffee works with it and it brews properly. My housemates have a filter coffee machine that I am welcome to use (these are not as common in the UK as in the US) but I rather prefer using a cafetiere - not least because you can get single person ones.

quote:
Originally posted by Jade Constable:
Is a French press the same as a cafetiere?

So I hear.

Posted by L'organist (# 17338) on :

During the day I don't mind good instant, although at home I'll use a cafetiere.

But first thing in the morning its the old-fashioned two part percolator on the hob with Greek coffee - I suppose the first cup is the equivalent of a quadruple espresso?

The plus side of the cafetiere and percolator is that the grounds go onto azaleas which love them.

Posted by OddJob (# 17591) on :

Coffee has taken the place of tobacco in Britain.

Five or ten years ago smoking was seen as normal and practised by a broad cross-section of society, whereas drinking coffee in the street looked silly, verging on bad manners. Now the opposite is true.

As a non coffee/tea drinker (I genuinely can't see the point of it) I feel increasingly left out of social interaction when it seems to revolve around coffee. It seems that church and secular business meetings increasingly revolve around a coffee fix for the majority. Actually I don't mind if people choose to drink coffee, but I do object to the declining availability at meetings of other drink options such as good drinking water or orange juice/squash, compared to a few years ago.

On a positive note, at least the 1960s/70s pursuit of time-wasting coffee mornings shows no sign of being resurrected.

Another percolator user here.

Ah I'm sorry. I just found out that what I'm using isn't called a percolator but a moka pot.

Posted by piglet (# 11803) on :

Until I moved to Canada I really only drank coffee after meals in restaurants (and not always then). However, since I moved here, I've discovered Timmy's™ and as there's a branch at w*rk, I usually buy myself a cup when I get in.

I don't think I can be properly addicted though: I've just realised that I haven't had any coffee at all today and I don't feel any ill-effects. When we go back to the UK on holiday I might not have any for nearly three weeks, and although we might make a bee-line for Timmy's as soon as we're through Canadian customs, it's more out of habit than actual necessity.

At home we both drink Earl Grey tea; we've got a couple of cafetières but only use them when we have visitors.

eta: Apparently during the war, Norwegians would say, "when the war is over a ship will come bearing coffee, and then a ship will come bearing the King, and then another ship will come bearing coffee." Mind you, Norwegian coffee is very good. [Smile]

[ 27. October 2013, 00:13: Message edited by: piglet ]

Scandinavians also drink a staggering amount of it.

Posted by Nicolemr (# 28) on :

Coffee is one of the proofs of the existence of a benign deity. [Big Grin]

I brew my coffee, when I drink it -- not that often -- either in a ceramic drip cone with filter or my all-stainless-steel cafetiere / French press. Wouldn't have a Keurig as a gift. I have a phobia about plastics in combo with hot water. I swear I can taste something toxic afterward.

And with tea, I brew it from loose leaves in a scalded china pot. No bags.

One thing I miss, though. Years ago, I had a little "tea egg," which finally cracked and broke. A friend gave me a replacement, but the inside top's too small, and once the tea's brewed you can't pry the sodden leaves out short of 20 minutes' hard work.

Do UK shipmates know where I can get a proper tea egg with a proper opening? I only ask because I hear you Brits drink lots of tea . . .

[ 27. October 2013, 00:39: Message edited by: Porridge ]

Who needs "proper" when there are so many fun options.

quote:
Originally posted by OddJob:
Coffee has taken the place of tobacco in Britain.

Indeed, though many smokers now seem to have a caffeine addiction too. I'm waiting for someone to bring out some kind of grip/holster to hold the cup while people use their device on their smoking break. Evolution doesn't seem to be doing it.

quote:
On a positive note, at least the 1960s/70s pursuit of time-wasting coffee mornings shows no sign of being resurrected.

Yes, society has changed. Though even then I remember them being combined with "bring and buy", a sort of d.i.y. jumble sale.

I just watched this documentary (previous parts are of historical interest).
Has anyone looked into which of the coffee chains or suppliers give the best deal to the poor growers & their families?

Posted by Firenze (# 619) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Porridge:

Do UK shipmates know where I can get a proper tea egg with a proper opening? I only ask because I hear you Brits drink lots of tea . . .

Is it this sort of thing ?

Posted by Baptist Trainfan (# 15128) on :

quote:

You're making a certain (and incorrect) assumption there. Something only has the potential for resurrection if ... [Smile]

Posted by The Midge (# 2398) on :

My wife goes on a annual Coffee Cruise. The decent coffee is so much cheaper over the Channel. There is a bigger price difference than a bottle of vino.

Now I need to go and put the coffee maker on.

quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
quote:

Is it this sort of thing ?
I had one of those once - still do somewhere, only mine was shaped like a little egg on a chain. I think it was sold as a "tea ball". The secret with those is to try if possible to use tea where the particles are larger then the perforation holes, otherwise you end up with a lot of it in the bottom of your cup. Don't fill it to the max, either, as the tea needs room to expand, and try not to touch the metal when you pull it out of the cup of hot water, as it'll be red hot. Otherwise, they're quite useful, and can be taken to the office for daily use.

I shall have to see if I can locate mine and give it another go.

[ 27. October 2013, 08:03: Message edited by: Ariel ]

Posted by quetzalcoatl (# 16740) on :

Porridge

This place sells various 'infusers' for tea, not sure about your 'egg'. But a crystal heart infuser ball sounds fun.

Are you in the US? Shipping might be expensive.

http://www.teapalace.co.uk/Infusers-for-Mugs-Cups-CFILTERS_FORCUPS/

[ 27. October 2013, 08:28: Message edited by: quetzalcoatl ]

Posted by Fineline (# 12143) on :

quote:

My local library has regular coffee mornings. They're just not allowed to call it that any more - I think they have to call it something to do with reading, so they call it 'Reading Café'. But unofficially everyone calls it a coffee morning, and they chat about all sorts, not just about books.

There are several versions of tea eggs here.

It's cool enough this morning that an iced coffee would not be as nice as usual. Very glad to have my mug of pu-erh!

{{{{THANK YOU!}}}}

While there's no duplicate of my long-lost porcelain tea egg, I now have multiple excellent possible replacements, and the PERFECT Christmas gift for a tea-drinking buddy!

Posted by Curiosity killed ... (# 11770) on :

Watch the sizes of those tea eggs - I have one that works beautifully but doesn't fit inside any of my mugs.

I'm another coffee addict, nothing noticeable until I get a headache from withdrawal if I'm somewhere without a fix. But that's easy to resolve nowadays with coffee shops serving decent amounts of caffeine in their brews, unlike the old cafes.

But trying to persuade people to serve black coffee without sugar can be a challenge in a lot of places.

Posted by Doublethink (# 1984) on :

Did anyone see the Nigelissima reciepe for coffee ice-cream ? So tempted to make it !

Plus you can surely do the same thing using coconut products for dairy intolerant dudes.

[ 27. October 2013, 12:28: Message edited by: Doublethink ]

Posted by Curiosity killed ... (# 11770) on :

Not sure that the coconut products would whisk up so well to produce the whipped textures. You'd probably have to use an egg white as the other thing I can think of that whips up in the same way.

(Sadly it wouldn't work for us, she's allergic to alcohol too, and you need that to keep it at ice-cream texture.)

Posted by Kasra (# 10631) on :

I saw this thread as I got into the office today, and had to giggle.

This morning, I woke up with a pounding headache, caused by... no coffee yesterday. So I diverted from my usual route to the office to go via a coffee shop and am now inhaling my caffeine.

I used to drink a lot more caffeine, and was threatened by the Dr that if I didn't stop, I was going to make certain very minor health issues A Lot Worse. So I stopped drinking caffeinated sodas, and maintained my coffee intake.

These days, I'm on 2 cups per day (quite strong). Cup 1: Once I arrive in the office. It's my reward for having gotten out of bed at ungodly-o'clock and driven 55 miles to work. Cup 2: somewhere in the noon-2pm window, depending on whether I have to teach freshmen or go to a faculty meeting. Coffee makes those two activities less painful for all of us.

I can make it through the day on those 2 without physically feeling the effects, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't crave more.

Hi, I'm Kasra, and I'm a coffee addict.

Kx

I am so addicted that I got withdrawal when the thread started discussing tea. [Help]

Posted by Honest Ron Bacardi (# 38) on :

quote:
Originally posted by The Midge:
My wife goes on a annual Coffee Cruise. The decent coffee is so much cheaper over the Channel. There is a bigger price difference than a bottle of vino.

Now I need to go and put the coffee maker on.

Mmm - that depends on which sector of the coffee market you are buying from. There is plenty of well-priced generic blend beans available over the channel, but the single-estate and specialist end of the market is far cheaper in the UK - often it can cost over twice as much in France.

Posted by Chamois (# 16204) on :

I'm definitely a coffee addict. One year I gave up coffee for Lent but allowed myself to drink extra tea instead. I was up to about 20 mugs of tea a day and it still didn't satisfy the craving. Never again.......

I've managed to cut down to 2 mugs of coffee on work days, 4 mugs on non-work days. But the temptation is to make the stuff stronger and stronger to compensate.

I don't smoke and seldom drink alcohol. Hey, a woman's gotta have some vices, right?

Posted by Meg the Red (# 11838) on :

This thread reminds me - free coffee week at McD's starts tomorrow. If I've plotted my route correctly, I think I can nab 2 on my way to work. [Biased]

Okay, okay - it's not shade-grown dark-roast nirvana, but it's still a darn sight better than the gritty brownish liquid that oozes from the office pot. And on a cold, dark Monday morning, I'll take it!

Did I mention it's free? [Big Grin]

Posted by piglet (# 11803) on :

quote:
Originally posted by NJA:
quote:

Yes, society has changed. Though even then I remember them being combined with "bring and buy", a sort of d.i.y. jumble sale.

The Church Sale may be extinct back in Blighty, but sadly it's alive and kicking here in Newfoundland. We had the Cathedral autumn sale yesterday and, according to Ancient Tradition™, our duty as choir members was to bake for, and serve, the morning coffee.

[Snore]

Posted by David (# 3) on :

Things must have changed - there wasn't a single good cup of coffee to be had in the UK last time I was there. I didn't try every joint of course, just enough places to let me know it was time to take a break from coffee for a month or so.

Must be picky.

Posted by comet (# 10353) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:

But trying to persuade people to serve black coffee without sugar can be a challenge in a lot of places.

WHAT??? I cannot STAND sweetened coffee. none of it!

oh dear lord! now I don't know what to do if I visit over there someday. should I bring my own?!?

Posted by Lothlorien (# 4927) on :

Sugar in coffee? Not for me, ever, no matter what type of coffee.

None of those sweet artificial syrups beloved by a certain firm which went broke down here. You know the sort of thing, chocolate, mocha, hazelnut goo with extra sweetener. The firm shut almost all of its outlets here, so others must think along similar lines.

Good coffee, well made, stands by itself without additives.

I have one cup, made by myself, at breakfast and then drink mostly water. If I'm out I may have another cup, and occasionally as a treat, I will allow myself a second cup at breakfast.

[ 28. October 2013, 04:34: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

Posted by anoesis (# 14189) on :

quote:
Originally posted by comet:
quote:

oh dear lord! now I don't know what to do if I visit over there someday. should I bring my own?!?

I take it you are familiar with this rant regarding the corruption of coffee with other flavours?

quote:
Originally posted by Meg the Red:
This thread reminds me - free coffee week at McD's starts tomorrow. If I've plotted my route correctly, I think I can nab 2 on my way to work. [Biased]

Okay, okay - it's not shade-grown dark-roast nirvana, but it's still a darn sight better than the gritty brownish liquid that oozes from the office pot. And on a cold, dark Monday morning, I'll take it!

Did I mention it's free? [Big Grin]

This I find astonishing - and I'm NOT a coffee snob, I drink instant most of the time, including, when at work, from the ubiquitous giant tin of Nescafe that every workplace kitchen seems to have - but I have never had a coffee from McDonalds here in NZ, including from their 'McCafe', that even approached being worth paying for - and even if it's free, hey, so is the Nescafe at work, which is weak and boring, but doesn't taste like burnt silt and iron filings!

quote:
Originally posted by David:
Things must have changed - there wasn't a single good cup of coffee to be had in the UK last time I was there. I didn't try every joint of course, just enough places to let me know it was time to take a break from coffee for a month or so.

Must be picky.

Probably not. There is an ocean of bad coffee served in the UK. The great stuff is available but you need to research where first. Or buy and make it yourself.

Posted by Spike (# 36) on :

I'm really finding it amusing at how many people are cheerfully admitting to their caffeine addiction and the withdrawal symptoms they suffer if they've not had their fix. I wonder if they'd be so open if it were alcohol or drug addiction.

[ 28. October 2013, 10:23: Message edited by: Spike ]

Had a cup of instant decaff (supermarket's own brand) the other day which smelt and tasted very much like Bovril. This was a revelation to me as I didn't think it was physically possible to do this to coffee.

(No, I didn't finish it.)

Posted by Jonah the Whale (# 1244) on :

The way some people talk you'd think coffee was bad for you. In fact it is good for you if you drink two or more cups a day. The more you drink, the longer you live. Mind you any extra effect tails off when you go above six.
Medical study.

quote:
Originally posted by Honest Ron Bacardi:
quote:

Must be picky.

Probably not. There is an ocean of bad coffee served in the UK. The great stuff is available but you need to research where first. Or buy and make it yourself.
Be fair. We're versatile. We do a lot of bad food to keep it company. [Biased]

The very worst coffee of all is that found on Sunday mornings, all over the country, in our churches. What is named the "coffee rota" is usually staffed by those who can make a half-decent cup of tea but seriously think coffee is a warm, milky drink. If anything it is worse if it is fair trade, as those making it feel that their duty has already been done (lower-middle class guilt and all that).

Posted by Hugal (# 2734) on :

I am a coffee addict. Tend to have fairtrade instant most of the time, but do have a press. We have a branch of a British coffee chain a few doors down so go there a few times a week. I rarely drink tea. This year I have had 3 cups of tea and that is more than normal.

quote:
Originally posted by comet:
quote:
[qb]

quote:
Originally posted by Lothlorien:
Sugar in coffee? Not for me, ever, no matter what type of coffee.

Absolutely (although I've never had difficulty in a coffee-shop with the whole 'black [or espresso], no sugar' concept).

Coffee should be dark and bitter and twisted.
If people want sweetness, rainbows and sunshine they should fuck off and drink something else.

Sugar in coffee is a bad and wrong thing. I'll drink it black or white, but put sugar in it and you're likely to get it involuntarily sprayed back over your shoes.

Posted by Ariston (# 10894) on :

My coworkers at the bike shop think I'm strange for drinking a strongish pot a day. That's what, a cup every two hours or so? Not that much when you think about it, especially if it gets you through the Hell that is morning, then through that long afternoon slog. Usually African, especially Ethiopian Peaberry Harar or Yirgacheffe, though the occasional Sumatra or Guatemala has been known to work its way into the rotation. Freshly ground, basic filter process (French presses get broken too easily in a bike shop, aren't the easiest things in the world to clean, and my boss still talks about the last time I killed one of those by myself), almost always black. At home, same thing, but French press/homemade gravity drip brew. In shops, I'll do a cappuccino or espresso macchiato (yes, it is important to qualify what kind of macchiato—Starbuck's assumes a "macchiato" is a latte macchiato, which is the exact opposite of what I want, and causes people at the local coffee/bagel place to repeatedly ask me if I know what I'm ordering, since they've been yelled at so much by people expecting hot milk, foam, caramel syrup, and a dash of coffee), sometimes with a bit of honey in them.

Yes, honey. It's an Italian thing. I can't stand sugar in my coffee (makes it bitter in a bad way, rather than bitter in a very, very good way), but honey, for whatever reason, just Works. Sue me later. I also have a soft spot for espresso simple syrup (1 part very strong and very hot espresso, 1 part raw/brown sugar) over ice cream or mixed with an equal part dark rum or brandy and half a vanilla bean and bottled.

As for the whole "addiction" thing...yes, I need my coffee/tea fix to pay attention, but that's less a product of addiction than the fact that I'm just reaaaalllyyy out of it and spacey without some sort of prodding. Always was, even before I started drinking tea/coffee. Yes, I'm noticing that I can drink more without FREAKING OUT, but it still works fine. What I have gotten addicted to, however, is the act of drinking coffee while at work; I have to have something coffee flavored near at hand while I'm working, even if it's decaf. When at the Office Job, I'll brew half strong, half decaf just so I can have more to drink at proper strength.

quote:
Originally posted by Ariston:

Yes, honey. It's an Italian thing.

And a Hungarian thing. The last night in Budapest, the restaurant's speciality was a small cup of layered honey/espresso/foam.

Mostly our house runs on giant tubs of Costco own brand filter - varied by postings of Bean of the Month from a coffee club.

quote:
Originally posted by Spike:
I'm really finding it amusing at how many people are cheerfully admitting to their caffeine addiction and the withdrawal symptoms they suffer if they've not had their fix. I wonder if they'd be so open if it were alcohol or drug addiction.

I thought about this too when I was last posting. It has always been a source of fascination to me that, while I like coffee very much, I don't need it. I drool whenever I smell it, but I can just not drink it and it doesn't bother me in the slightest. I can have one, in the morning, and it satisfies me rather than making me want more. My tolerance to its effects does not seem to increase over time, either. None of these are true for alcohol, as far as I'm concerned. After eighteen years of drinking, I know that it is something that I will always have to watch, always have to keep a lid on - that I will have to actually stop every now and then just to demonstrate that I still can (and I can, but by God, I hate it) - and I often think to myself, I have such an easy and casual relationship with coffee - and it seems to me that this is what it's like for many of my acquaintances with the booze. All the same, one way or another, whether you have a drink. Or another drink.

quote:
Curiosity killed ...: But trying to persuade people to serve black coffee without sugar can be a challenge in a lot of places.
In many parts of Brazil it is very difficult to get unsweetened coffee. Including where I am right now.

Posted by Pyx_e (# 57) on :

Black Coffee, that is all. Anything else is a softies, pagan, snivelling, weak-assed coffee flavoured beverage.

quote:
Originally posted by Pyx_e:
Black Coffee, that is all. Anything else is a softies, pagan, snivelling, weak-assed coffee flavoured beverage.

I love a double espresso (no sugar) after a meal.

Does that count?

[Smile]

quote:

Yes, if you are going to sin, it should be painful.

quote:

Yes, but a mocha or a coffee with pumpkin spice or a bit of flavoured syrup are nice though.

quote:

Says the man with the coffee mug avatar.

Posted by LutheranChik (# 9826) on :

I used to be a hardcore coffee drinker; if there was a coffeemaker within easy pouring distance, I'd be drinking from it constantly. A few years ago, though, my doctor told me to limit my caffeine, so I quit the caffeinated stuff cold turkey and switched to decaf.

One colossal headache and many mornings later...I still "need" (decaf) coffee, psychologically, in the morning. It's just a nice, comforting drink with which to start the day.

I do find myself drinking far less coffee overall...two cups in the morning is enough for me, unlike my former habit of drinking coffee all day long. It might be because it's so hard to find decaf coffee that doesn't taste like swill. (We have a couple of go-to locally roasted coffee blends that taste as good as the non-decaf versions...and the humble store brand decaf coffee beans from Meijer's, our regional big-box store,also make a decent pot of java.)

Now, on the rare occasions when I do drink "real" coffee, I can feel the caffeine almost instantly; makes me jittery and uncomfortable.

quote:
can feel the caffeine almost instantly; makes me jittery and uncomfortable.

Ain't it awesome.

Posted by The Undercover Christian (# 17875) on :

I think I saw a TED talk once that hypothesised that, prior to coffee arriving in Britain, people could only drink wine or beer due to the water cleanliness and therefore the entire country was mostly drunk most of the time. Which is why basically nothing other than fighting happened for about a thousand years.

When coffee began to replace alcohol as the daytime drink of champions, the move from depressant to stimulant accelerated the development of art, science and industry.

I don't know how interesting any of that is for you, but you've got it in you brain cells now so you're stuck with it.

Welcome to The Ship, The Undercover Christian. (If you want to be a tad less undercovered, there's an Introduction thread in All Saints, but it's not obligatory).

The Chinese, of course, solved the drinking water problem by boiling it up with leaves rather than brewing it, which is doubtless why they are 4,000 years ahead of us in the civilisation thing.

Firenze
Heaven Host

quote:
Originally posted by The Undercover Christian:
I think I saw a TED talk once that hypothesised that, prior to coffee arriving in Britain, people could only drink wine or beer due to the water cleanliness and therefore the entire country was mostly drunk most of the time. Which is why basically nothing other than fighting happened for about a thousand years.

When coffee began to replace alcohol as the daytime drink of champions, the move from depressant to stimulant accelerated the development of art, science and industry.

I don't know how interesting any of that is for you, but you've got it in you brain cells now so you're stuck with it.

But you see, Manchester (England) resisted coffee, and carried on with beer and ale, which is why centuries later, it produced Madchester pop, vintage football, and various industrial projects, such as the Manchester Ship Canal. It were 'ops wot done it.

Posted by Penny S (# 14768) on :

I have also heard that the availability of tea for the lower classes enabled the gathering together of people in cities and the development of the Industrial Revolution. Not only did the boiling of the water render it safe, but the tannins inhibited the absorption of bacterial nasties from the intestinal tract. (TV programme some years ago.) Coffee was probably more expensive.

When I first lived away from home in a bedsit, once a month on a Saturday I would have a terrible migraine with sickness. There were a number of precipating factors (one will be obvious), but I eventually stopped them by noticing that through the week I was having coffee in the staffroom about four times a day, but lay in on a Saturday, and had no coffee. Or breakfast. I had proper coffee for breakfast on Sunday. I cut down on the school mugs, and had a morning coffee and a meal on Saturday. No more Saturday migraines. At home, there had been several cups of tea and coffee throughout the day.
Now I have no caffeine after noon.

[ 29. October 2013, 17:28: Message edited by: Penny S ]

quote:
Originally posted by Penny S:
I have also heard that the availability of tea for the lower classes enabled the gathering together of people in cities and the development of the Industrial Revolution. Not only did the boiling of the water render it safe, but the tannins inhibited the absorption of bacterial nasties from the intestinal tract. (TV programme some years ago.) Coffee was probably more expensive.

When I first lived away from home in a bedsit, once a month on a Saturday I would have a terrible migraine with sickness. There were a number of precipating factors (one will be obvious), but I eventually stopped them by noticing that through the week I was having coffee in the staffroom about four times a day, but lay in on a Saturday, and had no coffee. Or breakfast. I had proper coffee for breakfast on Sunday. I cut down on the school mugs, and had a morning coffee and a meal on Saturday. No more Saturday migraines. At home, there had been several cups of tea and coffee throughout the day.
Now I have no caffeine after noon.

It was a well know effect IIRC called (unimaginatively) something like Saturday or weekend migraines..

Not well known to me at the time, but obvious that it could be common - but only once a month with me. I once experimented by eating a lot of Marmite (or maybe Bovril, one of the forbidden precipitating foodstuffs, anyway) in between, with no bad effects at all. On a couple of occasions I got a chocolate binge at about the time as if it was necessary to precipitate it.
Haven't had the headache or the sickness for years. Have started to have the visual aura occasionally, with no apparent trigger, but I've begun to notice a precursor state. I'm not bothered by it as it only lasts about 20 mins, and it's interesting to compare with Hildegard von Bingen's illustrations.

Posted by Sir Kevin (# 3492) on :

When I go to my favourite Starbuck's, which is rarely more than once or twice a month, I get something called a Redeye: it is a couple of shots of espresso topped off with regular coffee. I may also get a scone or a sandwich.

quote:
quote:

Says the man with the coffee mug avatar.
It's a tea mug you fool!

quote:
It's a tea mug you fool!

I believe you are mistaken. I have exactly the same one and it is a coffee mug.

quote:
Originally posted by luvanddaisies:
quote:
It's a tea mug you fool!

I believe you are mistaken. I have exactly the same one and it is a coffee mug.
Bingo. And, what's more, there's no such thing as a "tea mug;" tea is served in teacups, which, while they may resemble mugs superficially, always have a smaller base than opening. Exceptions may be made for those feeling Japanese, in which case handmade tea bowls of exceptional beauty may be used.

But never mugs. Mugs under beer size are only for coffee.

I have no idea what that sort of cup is—they serve coffee in buckets in the US.

quote:
And, what's more, there's no such thing as a "tea mug;" tea is served in teacups, which, while they may resemble mugs superficially, always have a smaller base than opening.

Ariston, when you come to visit at the Jedi temple, I hope you will take note of the tea MUGS which grace my table. Especially the one I use for those special times when tea is what keeps me from terrorizing the neighborhood. It holds about 3/4 of a quart of the lovely brown liquid.

You won't find any delicate little tiny sissy teacups here.

quote:
Originally posted by Sir Kevin:
When I go to my favourite Starbuck's

Thought this discussion was about coffee?

There, I said it.

quote:
Originally posted by jedijudy:
quote:
And, what's more, there's no such thing as a "tea mug;" tea is served in teacups, which, while they may resemble mugs superficially, always have a smaller base than opening.

Ariston, when you come to visit at the Jedi temple, I hope you will take note of the tea MUGS which grace my table. Especially the one I use for those special times when tea is what keeps me from terrorizing the neighborhood. It holds about 3/4 of a quart of the lovely brown liquid.

You won't find any delicate little tiny sissy teacups here.

Nor will you find any at Ariston's Chanoyu* Palace—here we use handmade Japanese and Korean style tea bowls made on a kickwheel, each of which is capable of holding about a half pot of tea with room to spare—and yes, I drink about six of them at a time. Sure, I abuse retea until there's no taste left in the leaves, but still.

Mugs are for coffee. Cups and bowls are for tea.

*For context: the Japanese tea ceremony is, for various philosophical reasons, never referred to as a "ceremony" in the technical and anthropological literature—"tea cult" or just "Tea" is the usual translation when it's translated, but it's usually just transliterated to "Cha-no-yu" or "chanoyu." Yes, I know, I should put down the academic journals already, but, for a lover of arcane minutia and great pottery, back issues of Chanoyu Quarterly is an absolute gold mine.

[ 30. October 2013, 04:22: Message edited by: Ariston ]

Posted by Albertus (# 13356) on :

BTW, has anyone else noticed that nobody in The Archers* ever seems to drink tea- it's always coffee?

*With the possible exception of Peggy and Jill, but I'm not even sure about them.

tangent/
quote:
Originally posted by Penny S:
Have started to have the visual aura occasionally, with no apparent trigger, but I've begun to notice a precursor state. I'm not bothered by it as it only lasts about 20 mins, and it's interesting to compare with Hildegard von Bingen's illustrations.

First time I had visual aura I'd no idea what it was. Sitting at a friend's house quietly freaking out, wondering what the hell was happening. Much relieved when I found out what it was. No idea what triggers or cures, but I shall take your advice on the chocolate. [Biased] /tangent

[ 30. October 2013, 04:51: Message edited by: lilBuddha ]

Someone mentioned TEA ......arrrrgghhhhhhhh Pyx_e runs round room with pants on head.

Pyx_e [Overused]

Not sure about the pants on head but I'm with you on T**. Vile stuff.

I've always wondered what it does to your insides, bearing in mind it can take a scourer with elbow grease to clean the tannin from a stainless steel teapot - just wondering.... [Eek!]

Anyone drinking tea because they think they can avoid caffeine thereby can forget it. Ditto chocolate. In fact chocolate is particularly sneaky as it doesn't have much caffeine in it, but it does have more theobromine, which has the same effect as caffeine.

L'organist wrote:-
quote:
I've always wondered what it does to your insides, bearing in mind it can take a scourer with elbow grease to clean the tannin from a stainless steel teapot - just wondering.... [Eek!]
I wouldn't worry about it. It's just a polyphenol of which there are many others in the diet, including that wonderful superfood red wine. They do bond to things outside the gut right enough, but there are plenty of things that will break that bond other than elbow grease. Google is your friend. Better (mechanical) dishwasher detergents dissolved in warm water will remove it before your very eyes.

As I wrote above, the tannins have been seen as a protection against gastric infections.

I have tea mugs, but they are not the same as my coffee mugs. They are bone china. This affects the flavour, because it doesn't draw heat from the water so much.

One of the mugs is particularly prone to staining, which survives the dishwasher (or it did in the old Zanussi- I think the Bosch, same tablet, does not have the problem). I use a quarter of a Milton tablet to remove it.

Posted by Jengie Jon (# 273) on :

Here is a Tea Mug, it is set up specifically for tea and not for coffee.

Jengie

Posted by Stejjie (# 13941) on :

quote:

Mugs are for coffee. Cups and bowls are for tea.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! [Eek!]

I *hate* having just a cup of tea (especially if it's good tea) - I'm just getting started on the stuff and then it's gone already.

This is especially the case at breakfast. My in-laws serve tea at breakfast in cups, not mugs, and I really can't stand it; the time I most need a decent sized mug of tea (especially if I haven't had one before breakfast) in order to function properly, and I just get a cup. [Waterworks]

Posted by Francophile (# 17838) on :

Are you not allowed to ask for a refill from the teapot?

Posted by Stejjie (# 13941) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Francophile:
Are you not allowed to ask for a refill from the teapot?

It's normally all gone by that point (they only seem to make enough for one cup each, or father-in-law gets there first...) [Waterworks]

Posted by Francophile (# 17838) on :

I suppose they keep the teabag for a second or third brew.

I know someone who keeps the slice of lemon from her lemon tea for at least 3 tea breaks.

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Sir Kevin:
When I go to my favourite Starbuck's

Thought this discussion was about coffee?

There, I said it.

Word.

Posted by Adeodatus (# 4992) on :

I get my favourite coffee from an old fashioned espresso pot that goes on the stove and makes tiny amounts of coffee that you almost have to slice. However, that's a rare treat as I work with people who wouldn't like it if I went through the day without using any punctuation. Most days I use a cafetiere.

Instant coffee is usually rightly sneered at, but I find it's not half bad if you make it with about twice the recommended amount, and begin by making a sort of paste with the coffee granules and a little cold water, before adding the almost-boiling water. It almost tastes like the real stuff.

quote:
Originally posted by Honest Ron Bacardi:
Anyone drinking tea because they think they can avoid caffeine thereby can forget it. Ditto chocolate. In fact chocolate is particularly sneaky as it doesn't have much caffeine in it, but it does have more theobromine, which has the same effect as caffeine.

Theobroma means Food of the Gods. There is good reason this is the genus of the cacao.
How dare you imply any negative to this ambrosia.
I considered demanding satisfaction, but consumed chocolate instead and will allow you to continue living.

Every time i read this thread title i need to get the cafetiere out...

Theobromine is the stuff which kills dogs, isn't it? Especially in dark chocolate.

quote:
Originally posted by quetzalcoatl:
Theobromine is the stuff which kills dogs, isn't it? Especially in dark chocolate.

Will do in humans as well, given a high enough dose. Haven't found the upper limit of my tolerance yet.
Either I am immune or sleep prevents me from reaching it....

There's theophylline, as well, in tea. Tea's good side
Didn't see any counter indications!
Does the decaffeinating take it out as well? I think I need another mug or two.

[ 30. October 2013, 18:50: Message edited by: Penny S ]

lilBuddha wrote:
quote:
Theobroma means Food of the Gods. There is good reason this is the genus of the cacao.
How dare you imply any negative to this ambrosia.
I considered demanding satisfaction, but consumed chocolate instead and will allow you to continue living.

Goodness! No disrespect to the splendid cacao plant or its products intended! In fact good quality chocolate is a favourite of mine. You eat less of it, savouring it much more as you go. So in the end it actually works out cheaper and healthier than the nasty cheap stuff, which often has unpleasant fatty additives.

Where was I? Oh yes, caffeine in chocolate. It's just that I have seen ill-informed screeds saying you won't get the wobbles if you have chocolate because it has much less caffeine. That's true, but there is more of the other alkaloid (theobromine) which can have the same effects.

Yesterday and today, I was really, really tired, especially in the morning. After my morning fix of tea, the tiredness was still plaguing me.

The remedy had to be multiple mugs of coffee, almost unheard of in my normal life. A friend came over to my workplace so that we could do lunch. The primary criterion was 'which lunch joint has the best coffee?'

Two and a half mugs later (I know, I'm a piker compared to some of you), and I was no longer in danger of falling asleep on my feet.

Now, will I be able to sleep when I go to bed in a few minutes?

quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
Pyx_e [Overused]

Not sure about the pants on head but I'm with you on T**. Vile stuff.

Me too. I cannot stand the stuff - especially the smell. Although the taste is pretty bad also, but not quite as bad as the smell implies it will be.

Posted by snowgoose (# 4394) on :

There is nothing on earth that tastes as good as coffee smells.

A few years ago I had to change my diet for health reasons, and coffee was the absolute worst thing to give up. Even chocolate (which I always loved) was easier to go without. I have switched to tea but once in a while have a cup of decaf, especially when everyone around me is drinking the good stuff. Sort of the coffee equivalent of methadone.

I gave up coffee after getting pains in the chest and IBS. The weekend I gave it up I slept straight through almost all of that Saturday.

I used to love my filter coffee. Thankfully decaf these days is better than it was, so periodically I'll brew a mug of something with a rich, rough flavour and just enjoy it.

It has to be a morning thing though - can't stand the taste later in the day.

Posted by churchgeek (# 5557) on :

I'm neither a coffee nor a tea drinker, for whatever reason. (Both have tended to unsettle my stomach a bit.) But I drink Diet Coke. All my life, caffeine never seemed to affect me that much, at least not as far as I could tell. I could stop drinking it cold-turkey with no withdrawal symptoms. I drank Diet Coke (or Pepsi, I'm not picky) with caffeine mostly because it was more readily available than caffeine free, and it seemed to taste a bit better. Also, from childhood, I was sorta trained by my grandmother that it helped with asthma (which she had as a kid; she tried to get me to drink coffee, but I couldn't stand it). And I noticed it helped distribute NSAIDs when I had aches and pains (e.g., after a car accident where I had whiplash) - they put it in Excedrin, after all. I guess it dilates the blood vessels which helps get the medicine through your system faster or something.

But a couple of years ago, I was having what I thought were anxiety symptoms, which was weird because I've never particularly struggled with anxiety (in the clinical sense). Turned out it was the caffeine! Even in small doses, I guess it added up. My shrink made me cut out caffeine, and I felt much better.

I can have some once in a while - e.g., dinner at a restaurant, or on mornings where I have to get up early, and I'm OK. But too much and I get short of breath. And pee a lot, which I notice now, since I don't drink much caffeine anymore!

I do miss the flavored Diet Coke - cherry, or lime - so when I do drink it with caffeine, I try to pick up one of those if available. Otherwise, I squirt some lime juice into my caffeine free, or pour in a little black cherry soda I can get at my local grocery store. Not quite the same, but still gives some variety.

Posted by Golden Key (# 1468) on :

quote:
Someone mentioned TEA ......arrrrgghhhhhhhh Pyx_e runs round room with pants on head.

I really hope that either a) these are pants in the American sense of trousers; or b) you are wearing trousers AND your pants turban!

Alternatively, you could imitate Lucy in "It's The Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown". She's bobbing for apples at a party. Snoopy is in the apple tub, and is biting the other side of the apple. Lucy starts running in circles, screaming "Uggh, uggh, my lips have touched dog lips! Ugh! Ugh!"

[Smile]

I'm not a great coffee drinker, but I do appreciate decent coffee from time to time.

Earlier this year, Mrs Spike & I spent a weekend in Venice, which is renowned for its fine coffee. The hotel where we were staying served very good coffee indeed.

Another British couple who were staying in the same place were in the habit of taking their own jar of Nescafe to breakfast. Sometimes when travelling abroad, I am embarrassed to be British. This was one of those occasions.

Aaah, Spike, you bring back memories that still make me hot-and-cold with shame.

Specifically, a middle-aged foursome (2 couples) loudly discussing what essential foodstuffs they had packed for their caravanning holiday in France on the quayside as they waited to be ushered onto a ferry.

"We've got a case of baked beans, a case of spaghetti hoops, 4 types of instant soup and 14 packets of Angel Delight because you can't get decent food in France."

My French companion still blames their later hernia on the heroic efforts required to keep their laughter in check... [Killing me]

L'Organist:

Inquiring mind needs to know: what is 'Angel Delight'? (Those travelling Brits sound both tragic and typical, I venture to say.)

quote:
Originally posted by georgiaboy:

Inquiring mind needs to know: what is 'Angel Delight'?

Goop. It came as powder in a packet, you mixed it with cold milk and it formed a kind of blancmange. Very 1970s. We used to refer to it as Angel Depression.

quote:
quote:

Goop. It came as powder in a packet, you mixed it with cold milk and it formed a kind of blancmange. Very 1970s. We used to refer to it as Angel Depression.
The sort of things that little children like...

We used to refer to it as 'Polycell'

Horrid stuff, but kids love it.

Posted by Jengie Jon (# 273) on :

Here you are ingredients and nutritional information So that you also get Boogie's post polycell.

Jengie

quote:
quote:

I believe it is still available. Similar to it was Instant Whip, another gloppy dessert, which does not seem to be around now.

IIRC the butterscotch Angel Delight wasn't so bad. Still very much a token pudding, and not like any real butterscotch product, but it wasn't so bad as the others.

It sounds rather like Cool Whip, except a do-it-yourself version.

CW was very popular in the '60s and '70s. It's a frozen dessert topping that comes in a round tub. The label shows a long list of inedible-looking chemicals.

I think there may have been (or be) something like what you describe, that has to be mixed up. "Desserta", maybe?

Posted by PeteC (# 10422) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Jengie Jon:
Here you are ingredients and nutritional information So that you also get Boogie's post polycell.

Jengie

I note that it is suitable for vegetarians - except no self-respecting vegetarian would go near it,

Posted by balaam (# 4543) on :

No self respecting person would go near it.

(I prefer the butterscotch.)

quote:
Originally posted by Jengie Jon:
Here you are ingredients and nutritional information

The list of ingredients is appalling.
quote:
Sugar, Modified Starch, Vegetable Oil, Fat-reduced Cocoa Powder, Emulsifiers: Propane 1,2 diol esters of fatty acids, Sunflower lecithin; Gelling Agents: Tetrasodium diphosphate, Disodium phosphate; Milk Lactose, Milk Proteins, Flavourings, Colours: Plain Caramel, Mixed Carotenes; Whey Powder from Milk, Anti-caking Agent: Silicon dioxide.
Moo

Posted by Chorister (# 473) on :

Chocolate Angel Delight is much better. And the product is generally much more tasty than the cheaper alternative, Instant Whip. I think they finally withdrew that due to the masochistic connotations....

I once went to a café in Wales where they didn't serve coffee, they served Kenco (with a suitable Welsh accent, making it sound like Ken-caw). I don't think they'd ever heard of fresh ground.

quote:
Originally posted by Chorister:
I don't think they'd ever heard of fresh ground.

Well, it tasted like mud ...

I'll get me coat

Here are the ingredients for Cool Whip, per Wikipedia:

quote:
Cool Whip Original is made of water, hydrogenated vegetable oil (including coconut and palm oils), high fructose corn syrup, corn syrup, skim milk, light cream, and less than 2% sodium caseinate (a milk derivative), natural and artificial flavor, xanthan and guar gums, polysorbate 60, sorbitan monostearate, and beta carotene (as a coloring).[3] In some markets, such as Canada and the United States, Cool Whip is available in an aerosol can using nitrous oxide as a propellant. Cool Whip was formerly marketed as non-dairy, but in Jewish dietary traditions, Cool Whip was classified as dairy rather than parve (non-meat and non-dairy) because of the sodium caseinate (which is derived from milk). Cool Whip now contains milk and cream.

How do/did you make your instant coffee?

If you put a spoonful in a mug & poured on boiling water you were doing it wrong.

The instructions say to use 1-2 spoonfuls and non-boiling water, this preserves the flavour. For even better results warm milk first. Even el-cheapo Lidl GranAroma tastes ok like this.

But if there do not bother with their "heavenly delight" (butterscotch), it doesn't taste like butterscotch.

In Went The Day Well, all the Germans drink coffee and all the Brits drink tea. Enough said [Two face]

Seriously though, I think I prefer to drink tea and consume coffee in ice cream/cake etc, although I will drink coffee if it's nice quality. Lately thanks to trying to see if I am lactose intolerant, I've been having tisanes - can't do hot black tea.

quote:
In Went The Day Well, all the Germans drink coffee and all the Brits drink tea. Enough said [Two face]

Seriously though, I think I prefer to drink tea and consume coffee in ice cream/cake etc, although I will drink coffee if it's nice quality. Lately thanks to trying to see if I am lactose intolerant, I've been having tisanes - can't do hot black tea.

[Confused] There's lactose in hot black tea?

quote:
quote:

[Confused] There's lactose in hot black tea?
No, but there's lactose in black tea with milk (obviously) and I don't like it without milk - that's what I meant by 'can't do'.

FWIW, we have a Nespresso machine at home, and despite the cost and landfill issues the coffee is very good. Baristo-nazis will disagree of course, but I know people who roast their own beans by hand who think like me.

Posted by St Everild (# 3626) on :

I'd like a Nespresso machine or something similar, but I am perfectly happy with a cafetiere.
Coffee in the morning - strong and black please, without sugar. Tea in the afternoon and first thing in the morning, extremely weak and without milk or sugar. And, before anyone suggests that it isn't worth putting the tea in the pot and I might as well drink hot water...no. Just no.

Thanks for all the responses about Angel's Delight. If it's anything at all like CoolWhip, which I do know, I'd want to stay as far away as possible.

A wise person once advised me 'Never eat anything which has more than one ingredient you either can't pronounce or know the meaning of.' The advice has stood me in good stead.

Posted by QLib (# 43) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
Thankfully decaf these days is better than it was ...

For coffee, maybe, but decaf tea just tastes WRONG. I'm another one having to cut caffeine due to anxiety problems. I've rationed myself to two "rounds" (1-2 mugs) of tea per day. I went off coffee in my first pregnancy, nearly 30 years ago - still can't drink instant - and can only drink weak(ish) filter coffee now. And usually only once or twice a week.

quote:
Thanks for all the responses about Angel's Delight. If it's anything at all like CoolWhip, which I do know, I'd want to stay as far away as possible.

A wise person once advised me 'Never eat anything which has more than one ingredient you either can't pronounce or know the meaning of.' The advice has stood me in good stead.

Angel Delight (no apostrophe) is not like Cool Whip, it's basically instant pudding but with a whipped texture rather than a jello-like one.

quote:
Originally posted by QLib:
For coffee, maybe, but decaf tea just tastes WRONG.

It can be horrid. I haven't had a decent decaff tea so far, but as more people start asking for it, it may improve.

Posted by Chorister (# 473) on :

quote:
FWIW, we have a Nespresso machine at home, and despite the cost and landfill issues the coffee is very good. Baristo-nazis will disagree of course, but I know people who roast their own beans by hand who think like me.

Coffee grounds and also filter papers can be put in food recycling containers and also in garden compost bins.

Fresh ground coffee (especially from fresh ground beans) is one of the loveliest smells I know. It lifts the spirit.

quote:
quote:

It can be horrid. I haven't had a decent decaff tea so far, but as more people start asking for it, it may improve.
I've been campaigning for a low-fat pork pie for decades and think we are both bang out of luck.

quote:
quote:

Angel Delight (no apostrophe) is not like Cool Whip, it's basically instant pudding but with a whipped texture rather than a jello-like one.
Still sounds foul!

Posted by Eigon (# 4917) on :

Our family tried Angel Delight once, when it first came out. We never tried anything that you made up out of a packet ever again!

and i've just seen it in pride of place on tesco's shelves........

I used to have as a signature on various forums: 'if you want consistency, try Angel Delight', but I got bored with it.

Posted by Pancho (# 13533) on :

Yes, I'd say that I'm addicted to caffeine.

I started drinking coffee very, very young. In elementary school I drank a cup of café con leche (coffee with milk) every morning (it's a Latin Americn thing). I didn't get hooked, though, until later when I got a job at a coffeehouse and became a barista.

It was a fun place to work in and they let the baristas drink as much coffee as they wanted so I got into the habit very quickly. Soon I was drinking more than several cups a day. At work it was mostly lattes so I wouldn't get too wired but I've also been known to drink it black on occasion. There's no shame in adding sugar either. The Turks do it, the Greeks, do it, the Cubans do it too.

I'm not a coffee snob and I'm not above drinking instant (when you need the caffeine, you need the caffeine). Nowadays I usually drink whatever is the house coffee but I usually go for a dark roast and I'm growing partial to double americanos ( two shots of espresso with a little hot water added).

I've tried to cut back and every year for Lent I try to drink less coffee. Nothing really bad has ever happened because of my habit other than spending too much money and the incident I call The Great Coffee Tragedy of Ought-Seven (or was it Ought-Eight?, I can't remember): I used to carry a coffee thermos in my shoulder bag all the time. One day I was in a hurry and I put my thermos in my bag without closing it properly and the coffee spilled all over a nice textbook I had in there. I care about books more than I care about coffee so I was majorly, majorly bummed out.

quote:
Originally posted by Chorister:
quote:

Coffee grounds and also filter papers can be put in food recycling containers and also in garden compost bins.

Fresh ground coffee (especially from fresh ground beans) is one of the loveliest smells I know. It lifts the spirit.

Nespresso is capsules.

Butterscotch Angel Delight is delicious.

Posted by Drifting Star (# 12799) on :

Yes. Especially with sliced bananas.

There have been other flavours that were really bad (peach... eurgh), but the butterscotch is good.

Posted by Thurible (# 3206) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
quote:
quote:

I've been campaigning for a low-fat pork pie for decades and think we are both bang out of luck.
Mrs Thurible says that Yorkshire Tea de-caff is the closest she's found to something that tastes of tea.

Thurible

Thanks for the tip about the tea. I'll look into that.

There are more decaff coffees around than there used to be, which gives me hope, but not half as many as I'd like. There are still quite a lot that you can only get in non-decaff. I used to be partial to Viennese-with-fig, and would like to try that again, amongst other things.

Coffee for me needs to kickstart the morning with a rich, rough blast of flavour. Hot and black with no sugar, maybe accompanied by a bacon roll, it's a particularly good thing on a winter's morning.

© Ship of Fools 2016