Thread: Apples Board: Oblivion / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=70;t=026236

Posted by Ariel (# 58) on :

Someone nearby cut down their apple tree last week. It used to produce a lot of windfalls on the pavement each year (which is probably why): small dark red apples which, when you bit into them, had a real, delicious old-fashioned apple flavour, and the colour of the skins had leached into the flesh so that they were distinctly pink inside.

I never did find out what they were (and will miss the windfalls) but it set me thinking about what a variety of apples we get these days, so here's a thread for you to enthuse about your favourite kind.

There aren't that many native British ones in the shops these days as a lot of imports seem to have become quite popular. Understandably: there's nothing like a large, crisp, beautiful Fuji or a juicy Jonagold. But you can still get russets, Worcester Pearmains and a few other kinds.

So: what's your favourite sort? Are you a fan of crunchy green Granny Smiths, or the yellow Golden Delicious, or do you like a nice Pink Lady? Got your own apple tree? Tell us about it here.

Posted by Jante (# 9163) on :

We have our own apple tree- which this year has produced a wonderful crop. not sure what sort it is- but the skins are yellow and red and the red leeches into the flesh giving it a definite pink hue. they are sweet and great for both eating and cooking with. this year I've made 17 jars of chutney [Smile]

Posted by balaam (# 4543) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
So: what's your favourite sort? Are you a fan of crunchy green Granny Smiths, or the yellow Golden Delicious, or do you like a nice Pink Lady? Got your own apple tree? Tell us about it here.

At this time of year - none of the above, thought these varieties can be available all year round, so I may be caught with my mouth around the juicy bits of a Pink Lady (stop sniggering at the back) in Summer months. Autumn is the time for the more rustic sort of apple. Often the ones with the unapetisng colours (brownish grey etc) have the best flavour. You can even find Russets in the supermarket.

Posted by ExclamationMark (# 14715) on :

Newton Wonder

Yellow with red stripes
Cooks now eats later. Stores brilliantly real apple flavour

Posted by Welease Woderwick (# 10424) on :

Apples are quite pricey here and all that seems to be generally available are Golden Delicious [YUK!] but occasionally Granny Smiths are in the supermarket.

My favourite when I lived in UK were Russets.

quote:
Originally posted by balaam:
I may be caught with my mouth around the juicy bits of a Pink Lady (stop sniggering at the back) in Summer months.

They had a whole lot of loose Pink Ladies in the supermarket this morning.

I bought an Egremont Russet and a Jonagold for the pleasure of it. I want to try a Delbarestivale some time, having read a description that goes: "The flavour is quite perfumed, some say with a hint of anise and fennel, others of strawberry and pear." Apple flavour would be nice, but I'm curious.

There is also one apple whose name I can't remember, which apparently tastes like a pineapple if you keep it long enough.

Posted by tessaB (# 8533) on :

It depends how you want to eat it. Nothing beats a crisp, tart Granny Smith with a piece of mature cheddar cheese.
On it's own, Jazz or Pink Lady, for cooking it has to be a Bramley.

Posted by BessHiggs (# 15176) on :

When I was a child, a dear friend of the family was a rather larger apple grower in northern New York. He grew Macs mostly, but had a passion for tinkering with his tree stock and developed a unique apple all his own. The flesh was a deep golden color and had a taste unlike any apples I'd eaten before, or ever eaten since.

Sadly, when he died, his family sold off all his orchard land which was promptly cleared and re-sold as house lots [Frown]

Posted by Carex (# 9643) on :

We just moved from our hectare in the country where we had apple trees. We started with at least 5, and a couple other places in the middle of the lawn where the old rootstock was still trying to sprout. No idea what type they were - at least one tree had a pink flesh, but nobody was able to identify them, probably because they were actually from rootstock rather than grafted varieties.

Then I was introduced to the concept of grafting, and had access to ~250 varieties from the local Home Orchard Society. We ended up with ~30 varieties on each of the 4 main trees, while the 5th (smaller) one got the types that were more prone to disease, etc. Unfortunately, when I got carried away with grafting I hadn't yet learned that the best place for a graft was not on the end of a branch, and we had some odd-shaped trees when we pruned them to keep some of the grafted wood.

We had all sorts - Russian, Japanese, European, American, crab apples, etc. We had to generate a database to keep track of where each graft was on each tree, when the apples were ripe, how long to store them, etc.

But in the end we really didn't eat a lot of apples, and over the years we took out a couple of trees and pruned back grafts that didn't seem to produce well, or varieties that we didn't like.

Our favorites were Priscilla, Liberty, and Discovery. Some of the others might have good flavor, but if they didn't produce well, or were prone to diseases, we didn't bother to keep them.

Now we're free of all the work involved: we canned them, made apple sauce, and dried them initially, but found we really didn't eat that much of what we were putting up. In the end I gave away what I could to folks who fed them to their horses.

Posted by Firenze (# 619) on :

James Grieve is a Scottish variety which is reasonably extant - in that you can buy saplings of it in the garden centre, even if you don't see the fruit in the supermarket. It is a lateish ripener, golden with streaks of pink.

After our big cherry blew down, we got a couple of tiny saplings from a chap up in Perthshire who cultivates old varieties - a Hawthornden and a Lemon Queen (though I would have liked a Bloody Ploughman). The Hawthornden produced half a dozen apples this year - quite large and quite green. I made them into a tart, and sauce for pork. The flavour can best be described as very, well, appley.

[ 03. November 2013, 16:53: Message edited by: Firenze ]

Posted by Curiosity killed ... (# 11770) on :

I love apples and grew up with a variety of trees, partly grown to have a chance to conserve the rarer breeds, partly to give a long season of apples to eat and keep. I have eaten Discovery, Worcester Pearmain, Beauty of Bath, Blenheim Orange, one of the russets and lots of other varieties I can't remember now from the tree. I will look out for the traditional varieties, particularly the russet apples at this time of year.

Posted by Roseofsharon (# 9657) on :

Charles Ross
We used to grow a Charles Ross, and the fruit is delicious - very similar to a cox (from which it was bred), but larger. I found Charles Ross apples for sale on a 'local' produce stall in a nearby town recently. What a treat!

quote:
Someone nearby cut down their apple tree last week. It used to produce a lot of windfalls on the pavement each year (which is probably why): small dark red apples which, when you bit into them, had a real, delicious old-fashioned apple flavour, and the colour of the skins had leached into the flesh so that they were distinctly pink inside.

Are you sure that wasn't a crab apple?
Laura is very like the apple you described - another one we used to have, until the honey fungus killed it off. They were quite big fruit for a crab, and I found them perfectly edible raw, although I mostly used them to make a gorgeous pink apple jelly

Posted by L'organist (# 17338) on :

Early Worcester is good, and proper old-fashioned Cox's Orange Pippin - not the huge, over-sweet nasty examples from the supermarket but the type of 40+ years ago: nice and crisp, not too hard and just the right size to fit into the hand of a small child.

Its not just apples that we're losing: anyone having trouble finding greengages?

Posted by Diomedes (# 13482) on :

My parents were apple growers and our orchard was planted with all the old varieties, Beauty of Bath was my favourite, the apples were the earliest to ripen and the tree was perfect for climbing. We grew Newtons and Bramleys for Covent Garden Market and they were very popular.

We even had apple jokes in our house!
Why did James Grieve?
Because he saw Charles Ross with Annie Elizabeth. [Biased]

Posted by Stercus Tauri (# 16668) on :

I used to think that one of life's basic necessities was Bramley cooking apples for making pies. I may be wrong, but nobody in North America except for British exiles seems to have heard of them, and so far as I know, there isn't any local equivalent. The Northern Spy is very good - it's a sharp eating apple and good for pies too, though still not like the Bramley. We are in good apple growing country here and are spoilt for choice. So are the deer, who feed well off our old crab apple tree. When they run out of windfalls they'll jump to pick the lower branches - fun to watch.

Posted by Kyzyl (# 374) on :

Honeycrisp and Sweet Tango, both created by the University of Minnesota and neither of which taste worth a damn when grown outside of this area.

Posted by Gee D (# 13815) on :

It's strange for us to read the praise for Bramleys. They're not a variety we've ever seen at the greengrocer here, but Elizabeth David once wrote an article which a sub-editor entitled Big Bad Bramleys. That caused a furore, as you can imagine.

Golden Delicious are dreadful, and ordinary Delicious no better. Our favourites are Pink Lady and Fuji, with Granny Smiths for cooking.

Posted by Emma Louise (# 3571) on :

I was surprised our Australian family hadn't had Bramleys. I think they used Granny Smiths to cook with. Sadly not the same!

Posted by Kelly Alves (# 2522) on :

Maybe this is a good place to ask this- I have four or five Fuji apples that are good now, but just about to turn. I can either gobble them down or make applesauce. Do Fujis make good applesauce?

quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
Maybe this is a good place to ask this- I have four or five Fuji apples that are good now, but just about to turn. I can either gobble them down or make applesauce. Do Fujis make good applesauce?

I've made applesauce with Fujis. Not my first choice but it was good.

I can't remember exactly what Ms David said about Bramleys, but it was along the lines that they collapsed and turned mushy if they were baked whole; if sliced into a pie, they were watery.

Easy baked apples - halve Granny Smiths, carefully cut out the core into a hollow. Fill with dark brown sugar, then a dob of butter. Scatter some lemon zest over the top if you like, place in a dish and pour cream around them. Bake in a moderate oven until cooked. Serve with statins. Works well with pears also.

[ 03. November 2013, 20:14: Message edited by: Gee D ]

quote:
Originally posted by Gee D:
I can't remember exactly what Ms David said about Bramleys, but it was along the lines that they collapsed and turned mushy if they were baked whole; if sliced into a pie, they were watery.

Easy baked apples - halve Granny Smiths, carefully cut out the core into a hollow. Fill with dark brown sugar, then a dob of butter. Scatter some lemon zest over the top if you like, place in a dish and pour cream around them. Bake in a moderate oven until cooked. Serve with statins. Works well with pears also.

Statins? I believe you need a doctor's prescription for those!
[Biased]

Posted by Moo (# 107) on :

I am enjoying Stayman apples for the first time since last spring.

When I lived in New Hampshire I ate Cortlands

I think local apples are almost always best.

Moo

Not at all Gee!

We have Granny Smiths here but real Bramleys are much better for baked apples. Larger, slightly less sweet and have a lovely fluffy texture.

We have both - so there's a choice but I don't know anyone who wouldn't use a Bramley for baking. A bit more expensive, but worth it [Smile]

I've never put just sugar in a baked apple. We usually stuff with raisins or similar interspersed with sugar. Sometimes golden syrup and butter on top to create a syrup.

Posted by Penny S (# 14768) on :

I went for a walk down to the village orchard today to check out the crop - plenty of windfalls, and some remaining in the trees, but all too high for my long arm picker. They are relatives of Bramleys, apparently, but not so knobbly, and with a red blush to them. There is one eater, but they don't look ready yet. Also too high. It's interesting how little they were damaged by the gales last week.

We had a house in Dover with its own little orchard in the back garden. Between a dozen and twenty trees, maybe, all different varieties which we couldn't identify. My Grandad came over to prune them, as they'd got a bit out of hand (he had been a professional gardener), and we got good crops. Nice small eaters that you could get your mouth round. After we left, they got out of hand again, and were at one time visible over the roof (and since the house was up a slope fromthe road, and the orchard up slope from the house, this was an achievement). The current occupants have had a blitz, but there are some left.
One year the apples were stored on a mezzanine floor in the garage - not checked often enough, the car got anointed with sticky juice from the ones which rotted.

Posted by Schroedinger's cat (# 64) on :

I tend to like my apples green, much to my wifes frustration. Golden Delicious and Granny Smiths are what I normally eat as apples on their own. Golden Delicious I often find insipid, so Grannys are good.

For cooking, it tends to be whatever comes from next doors tree, or friends tress, or cheap in the shops.

Posted by Signaller (# 17495) on :

Our old Bramley fell over more than twenty years ago, but still flourishes, though horizontal. This year the late warmth has encouraged the fruit to stay on the tree into November, and even turn red, at which point they become edible if you favour a fairly sharp taste.

Posted by mark_in_manchester (# 15978) on :

If it's not too tangential, how do folks store them? I have two sets of friends both with big trees, and so free access to huge numbers of apples. I've only a small freezer, so I've tried wrapping them in paper in previous years, but they shrivelled by Christmas. Now I'm unemployed, with maybe the time and inclination to be inventive.

cheers
Mark

Posted by jedijudy (# 333) on :

Sadly, we don't really grow apples here, but I have wonderful memories of enjoying different varieties while I was growing up.

We had a Northern Spy in our backyard which made to-die-for pies. Grandpa had a Yellow Transparent, and we grandkids loved to eat the sweet things. They were the first to get ripe, I believe.

There were a lot of old apple trees growing in the woods near my childhood home. They were on the old homesteads which had gone back to the wild, but left lovely heirloom fruit trees, blackberry bushes and flowers.

Posted by Aravis (# 13824) on :

Discovery is my absolute favourite, but most supermarkets don't sell them as they are exceptionally early and don't have a long shelf life. They usually appear mid August, have a strong scent, very white flesh with a tinge of pink, and a natural waxy feel to the skin.
We have a Queen Cox in the garden, self-fertilising and a very heavy cropper. It produced around 100 sound apples this year and about another 20 that I cut the good bits out of, cooked and froze for pies.
The Welsh Folk Museum near Cardiff has an annual apple festival, with probably about 100 varieties on display, samples to taste and buy, and quizzes to complete. Missed it this year unfortunately.
Most supermarkets don't sell many varieties, but if you look closely on the top apple shelf in Sainsbury's, there are usually bags labelled "British dessert apples" throughout September and October which include fairly obscure varieties in season.

Posted by Niminypiminy (# 15489) on :

quote:

There is also one apple whose name I can't remember, which apparently tastes like a pineapple if you keep it long enough.

Pitmaston Pineapple. We have a tree in our garden. Small, golden fruits that start off sharp-sweet, and become more perfumed and pineapple-y as they get riper and riper. Sadly, it fruits only every other year -- though this year we have had a bumper crop.

The apple I long to have again is Irish Peach, which we had in my childhood garden. The best apple to eat straight from the tree.

Posted by Curiosity killed ... (# 11770) on :

mark-in-manchester - don't now, but grew up sorting out apples for a proper apple loft. All apples were on trays - separated, and checked regularly. Any going off apple gets removed pronto. The room they're stored in needs to be cool and free from rodent or other vermin - outside shed for example or attic, with air circulating. A couple of trays deep stacked in cardboard boxes or drawers.

The only apples that get stored are clean and unblemished - any with blemishes are for immediate eating or cooking and freezing as purée or slices. You can also dry apple rings.

We used to still be eating homegrown apples in February and March stored over winter, and kept going with frozen apple purée until later on than that.

Then the Discovery apples started cropping in August.

Posted by Pyx_e (# 57) on :

Appletise that is all.

Posted by Sioni Sais (# 5713) on :

My parents had a Ellison's Orange which would not fruit until my Dad served it notice, whereupon it gave fruit for six years! They were very nice too. My brother has an assortment of cider apples which, praise be, are turned into cider, while s-i-l has Granny Smiths and Bramleys.

Posted by PeteC (# 10422) on :

I always look for the MacIntoshes in season. Bestest apple ever. Don't much care for green apples, so that lets out Granny Smith. Although it might be a hangover from the boycott days when most tinned juices made of Granny Smiths came from South Africa.

I always check places of origin.

quote:
Originally posted by Penny S:
They are relatives of Bramleys, apparently, but not so knobbly, and with a red blush to them.

Yet another variety of apple we used to grow.
Bramleys do redden if left on the tree long enough - goodness know why they are sold when they are so green and hard - the ones at the top of the tree were too high to pick, so grew enormous (usually about 14oz), and when rosy and ripe were quite sweet enough for us to eat raw.
We used to cook pounds and pounds of windfalls for the freezer, and filled a huge 'dead' freezer with boxes of sound ones. We were usually still eating them when the next years trees were budding.
Oh, I do miss our little orchard.

Posted by Jade Constable (# 17175) on :

I love tart Granny Smiths - but find it hard to find British ones in the supermarket! Is there a similarly-flavoured British alternative? I like my apples tart and crisp, no sweet mealy ones for me thanks. Pink Lady apples are OK though, if expensive.

Also Bramleys are essential for cooking - can't abide eating apples in hot puddings.

Posted by Graven Image (# 8755) on :

Honey Crisps are my all time favorite, but alas in my neck of the woods we get them only a few weeks out of the year. Granny Smith is my basic go to apple for eating and cooking.

Posted by Dogwalker (# 14135) on :

I'm with PeteC on MacIntoshes, but I like them about two weeks before they're officially ripe, when they're rock-hard and really tart.

Apparently I'm weird, though, because I also like Macs for apple pie. The pieces dissolve in your mouth. The apples that are recommended for cooking "because they hold their shape" never taste done to me.

This is probably a result of my upbringing. My uncle had 1000 apple trees, all Macs. Guess where we got our apples?

There's an orchard between home and work where they have a pretty good variety. I'll have to stop tomorrow, see what's available, and buy some.

Posted by Palimpsest (# 16772) on :

I grew up for a few years in a house which had an 80 year old Macintosh. I do love Macintosh as my default eating apple if I can find them. They aren't grown in Washington State that much as a commercial apple but they ship them in from British Columbia.
Harder to find here, but occasionally showing up in the local farmers market is Macoun which is derived from Macintosh but with a spicy taste.

Delicious have a good texture, but no flavor. Unfortunately it's the designated apple of the Washington State Apple Industry. They have a few
better varieties like Newton Pippin and Jonagold, but everything they start promoting starts to get very large and get those distinctive Delicious bumps on the bottom. Granny Smith is a good cooking apple for tarts as it holds up. The local apple used to be Gravenstein, which has flavors
but only shows up in a short season. Honeycrisp has wonderful crunchiness and decent flavor.

Some other apples show up rarely at the farmers market but are tasty. Spitzenberg, Winesap Northern Spy and Winter Bananna and some more modern apples, Empire, Liberty, I'm a sucker for trying apples I've never eaten before. I haven't found any great summer apple in Seattle (and between the cherries and stone fruit I'm too busy) but I remember Opalescent from a from a farmers market in Boston as a wonderful apple.

I don't do that much baking but Thanksgiving is always an excuse for an apple pie or two. I use the rule that a proper apple pie should have at three different kinds of apples in it. Rome used to be the baked apple of my younger days in New England. They're finally showing up here so I may try them again.

Real Apple cider is making a recovery in Washington State and there are some decent alcoholic ciders made locally. This is good because the former distributor of good Norman Dry Cider has stopped bringing it in. The change in law to encourage micro-distilleries has one of the farmers at the farmers market planning an applejack.

Posted by LeRoc (# 3216) on :

I like most kinds of red apples, but often I have no idea what they're called.

In my parents' garden, I planted a Groninger Kroon apple tree, a local variant.

Posted by Bene Gesserit (# 14718) on :

Bramleys for cooking, Granny Smiths for eating. Mind you, I do like to eat [uncooked] slices off Bramleys if I'm cooking with them!

Posted by CuppaT (# 10523) on :

My baby apple tree is in its third year and gave us a small crop of green apples for the first time. They tasted wonderful and our whole family celebrated with them as if it were a feast.

I have had good and bad golden delicious, good and bad granny smiths. I generally like Fuji. Honeycrisps are great, but so big and expensive that I don't get them often at all. We have a unique variety here called Arkansas Black. You are not missing anything.

Posted by teddybear (# 7842) on :

When I was a child in southeast Missouri, my grandma had an old orchard on her farm. All of the trees were an old American variety called the Grimes Golden. It was a wonderful apple and was so good for eating fresh or cooking. It was crisp when first picked, but after it was stored a while, it grew more mellow. It had a very "appley" taste and was kind of sweet tart and spicy. I haven't eaten them since I was a child and keep hoping to find a place to buy some. It is also believed to have been a parent of Golden Delicious, but has a lot more and better flavor that it does.

I notice people mentioning applesauce, and I am wondering if this is actually the same as apple sauce as served with pork, or something else? (And my family recipe for the latter seems different from other people's anyway, involving butter and onions as well as sugar, salt and pepper.)

quote:
Originally posted by Penny S:
I notice people mentioning applesauce, and I am wondering if this is actually the same as apple sauce as served with pork, or something else? (And my family recipe for the latter seems different from other people's anyway, involving butter and onions as well as sugar, salt and pepper.)

Applesauce to me means apples cooked down to a soft pulpy stage. Could be chunky or pureed. With or without the addition of sugar and spices - that really depends on the variety and ripeness of the apples used. However, Penny, your family recipe sounds intriguing!

OK. Melt a lump of salted butter (about an ounce - this is a throw in what seems right type of recipe, and is open to experiment and using what you happen to have about) and add half a large onion, chopped. The chunks should be about a centimetre square. Sweat the onion until translucent, but do not brown. Meanwhile, chop an average sized eating apple into centimetre cubish bits. If feeling posh, peel it first. I quite like it with the peel showing. If feeding more people (this doesn't make a vast amount, suitable for two), and using more apple, you could mix the eater with some of a peeled cooker which would break down more. The target texture should have chunks but in a mushy glossy matrix. Add to the onions and cook gently until the apple is cooked through, with a spoonful of sugar to taste (and give it the gloss). Stir in a grinding of black pepper to taste. Press gently with a masher or similar to slightly break up the apple. Serve hot with roast pork, or grilled pork chops, about a tablespoonful to a serving.
I once investigated a neighbour who had produced the distinctive aroma of this dish to find out what they had been cooking - the neighbour, a short let tenant, was very dismissive. "I don't know," he said shortly, "my wife is Hungarian." Implied, go away and leave us alone! So I did. And still do not know which Magyar dish uses apples and onions.

[ 04. November 2013, 19:33: Message edited by: Penny S ]

Posted by Bob Two-Owls (# 9680) on :

Apples are all horrible. They are redeemed from the bucket labelled "sprouts and other poisons" by the fact that cider is wonderful.

Posted by Kelly Alves (# 2522) on :

[Roll Eyes] There's one on every thread.

Posted by Moo (# 107) on :

Another very good local apple is the Ginger Gold. They ripen in August, and they don't store well.

However, they are very good.

Moo

Posted by Sober Preacher's Kid (# 12699) on :

I'm torn between a good Honeycrisp and a good Empire. Galas are decent.

I stopped on the way home and bought some Royal Galas and some Red Rome. (Royal Galas are originally from NZ; mine were grown in Massachusetts.)

The Galas are good, nice and firm, but with overtones of pear to me. I'm going to have a Gome after dinner.

Penny S an apple sauce with horseradish is the traditional Viennese accompaniment to tafelspitz (boiled beef). I'm thinking your caramelised onion and apple sauce could also go well with that, or with roast chicken.

Posted by ArachnidinElmet (# 17346) on :

Having a fridge and freezer full of apple sauce left from an Apple Day (21st October) event I can tell you apple sauce is good with everything.

Has anyone else come across the phenomenon that if you give a child a toffee/chocolate apple they'll eat the outside and throw away the apple, but give them an apple and some toffee/chocolate and they'll eat both?

Posted by lilBuddha (# 14333) on :

It is not a phenomenon, it is normal behaviour. [Razz]

quote:
Originally posted by Gee D:
Penny S an apple sauce with horseradish is the traditional Viennese accompaniment to tafelspitz (boiled beef). I'm thinking your caramelised onion and apple sauce could also go well with that, or with roast chicken.

It doesn't get as far as caramelising. Might be interesting with the horseradish.

Posted by Chorister (# 473) on :

I have a soft spot for Russet apples, they are not often popular because they look brown, but the taste is gorgeous. Failing that, then Cox and Braeburn are good too.

My favourite apples are from a farm at Sidmouth, although the fresh pressed apple juice from the orchards just along from where I live is the most divine.

Posted by Chorister (# 473) on :

If you want an accompaniment to pork steaks, rather than use stewed apples, then try some Cider Apple Jelly (aka Taunton Jelly) which has a beautifully fresh appley-cidery zing to it. The best I know is this.

quote:
Originally posted by Chorister:
I have a soft spot for Russet apples, they are not often popular because they look brown, but the taste is gorgeous.

I love the nutty flavour and firm texture of Russets. Egremont Russets have been favourites of mine since I was a child. I think of them as "Christmas Apples" as they were only in the shops in late November and December, and featured in our Christmas stockings. They were the ones I put in my boys Christmas stockings, too. They seem to have a longer season these days, probably due to modern storage techniques.

We sometimes get Russets here at the farmers market and they're quite nice. They aren't popular because they don't look perfect.
One of my espaliers is an Ashmead Kernal which has a nice nutty flavor and I have one Dutch apple Karmijn de Sonnaville which takes a long time to ripen but is really tasty. Before you get visions of vast orchards, my espalier is a small Belgian block fence of 10 saplinggs that yields 20 or 30 apples a year, while the 50 year old dwarf Gravenstein in the next yard has hundreds on a good year. Still it is fun to enjoy the variety.

[ 06. November 2013, 07:04: Message edited by: Palimpsest ]

Posted by Jade Constable (# 17175) on :

quote:
Originally posted by ArachnidinElmet:
Having a fridge and freezer full of apple sauce left from an Apple Day (21st October) event I can tell you apple sauce is good with everything.

Has anyone else come across the phenomenon that if you give a child a toffee/chocolate apple they'll eat the outside and throw away the apple, but give them an apple and some toffee/chocolate and they'll eat both?

Apple sauce and mustard is so good on cold meat sandwiches, and not just with pork - it is underused indeed.

Posted by Starbug (# 15917) on :

quote:
Originally posted by ArachnidinElmet:

I can remember many a childhood toffee apple that looked good on the outside, but once you got past the toffee, the apple was too soft or going off.

Its because the hot toffee/chocolate over-warms the skin and first layers of apple, so it speeds up the softening...

Posted by Pearl B4 Swine (# 11451) on :

Grimes Golden is a wonderful apple. And I love variety names. I found this tidbit of info about Grimes Golden:

Local custom is to put a barrel of squeezings where it will freeze often, and scrape the ice off the top. Repeat. Drink when ever you judge it's ready. Watch out tho- its so tasty you'll be staggering before you know it.

My favorite 'red' is Stayman Winesap. There is nothing it can't do- is delicious and keeps.

I'm guessing that many of the North American apples are originally of English stock, if you go back a few centuries? Just wondering if there are any old varieties that may have died out here but are flourishing on the other side of the Atlantic...

Incidentally, does anyone know how the intriguingly-named Northern Spy got its name?

Posted by jedijudy (# 333) on :

Ariel, this site gives a possible answer to your question, which is one I've often wondered about, too.

Posted by Amos (# 44) on :

Northern Spy is my favourite apple of all time. I miss it every autumn, and if I could get one I'd grow it in my garden--where my predecessors planted Beauty of Bath, Golden Noble, and one late dessert apple which I can't yet identify.

We're just coming to the end of the time when people leave boxes of apples at the end of their drives with signs saying 'Help Yourself.' Last week I brought home a pocketful of the most delicious apples of the season--absolutely fresh, well-balanced, crisp, and juicy. There's no better fruit than a good apple.

Posted by LutheranChik (# 9826) on :

When we are fortunate enough to get up north during the fall months (alas, not happening this year), we enjoy going to an orchard called Christmas Cove Farm, outside Northport (the village at the tip of Michigan's Leelanau Peninsula), which specializes in heirloom apple varieties. They have over 200 varieties in cultivation, something that boggles my mind. When you visit the farm you're directed to a large pole building filled with bushels of different apples in season, each pile carefully labeled with history and suggestions for use. It's an incredible experience. (Many of these apples are winding up at a local cidery, Tandem Ciders, that's helping introduce Americans to the joys of hard cider...the owner makes one of his ciders from a special, secret blend of heirlooms with an affinity for that process.)

My favorite apples tend to be the earlier varieties, maybe because that's what we had growing up on the farm -- apples like "Duchess of Oldenburg" (how many of these wound up in my mother's apple pies!) that ripen in August. I also like "Strawberry," an apple that's increasingly scarce because it doesn't keep at all; it's purely for eating fresh. (It gets its name from its shape; it's a kind of creamy green with a large pink blush, and it has a very fruity, indeed berrylike, flavor.) I think my favorite heirloom variety is "Fameuse," what we used to call "snow apples" -- flavorful, with a beautiful white flesh that makes the prettiest applesauce. For later apples I think "Russets" are pretty tasty.

Of course the local supermarkets and conventional orchards only have about five or six apple varieties at best. The most popular kind here he in Michigan is the "Honeycrisp," which lives up to its name in the sweetness and crispiness departments but is, I think, overrated and overpriced. (I'm told that that the trees are touchy here in Zone 5 and have to be babied by growers, hence the price issue.) If I have to buy supermarket apples I choose "Golden Delicious"; great for baking and eating fresh.

We also forage for apples on quiet rural roads with volunteer apple trees -- I always imagine some farmhand or schoolchild tossing an apple core over the fence many years ago -- that spill their bounty along the roadside. It's a great way to spend a crisp autumn day; and although around here we're in competition with people gathering wild apples for deer baiting, we have found honey holes of especially yummy apples there for the taking. I'd say that one out of three wild trees produce a fruit worth picking; but it's really fun to find the good ones.

quote:
Originally posted by jedijudy:
Ariel, this site gives a possible answer to your question, which is one I've often wondered about, too.

Thank you for this fascinating link. I'd love to try some of these - most of them are ones I haven't heard of.

The best book I've found for apple descriptions is a British book; The New Book of Apples by Morgan and Richards. It has an appendix with descriptions of a couple thousand apple varieties; what they're good for, parentage, coloring. I lent my old edition to an apple farmer and eventually had to give it to them.

Other notes. One reason Honeycrisp apples are expensive is that there's a royalty on them which goes to the Minneapolis Station that developed them. You can ignore the claims that its a cross of Golden delicious, genetic analysis made later shows it to be a mutation.

Part of my fondness for apples is that they don't breed true. Every new plant grown from seed is different than its parents. This means that every old apple we have has been maintained by humans cloning it over the centuries to keep the variety alive.

Posted by Firenze (# 619) on :

If you go to this site , go to the Search function, select 'Apple' and 'all a-z' you get a listing, each one of which goes to a description, with photos.

Good heavens, there are literally hundreds. And all we see in the shops are the same few - maybe 10 different kinds. I'm going to start looking more closely at fruit stalls at farmers' markets and seeing what they've got.

(Could be the next big thing since trainspotting...)

Posted by Galloping Granny (# 13814) on :

I found a delectable new variety in the supermarket last month, called Ambrosia – has anyone else eaten it? Crisp and sweet as an apple should be.

And by way of a tangent –
Staying with my daughter in British Columbia one August I had the job of stewing apples from a nearby wild apple tree before the bears stripped them as they ate everything they could find before hibernating. There's a day in the fall when people are invited to help themselves to remaining apples from local trees, and apple presses are available for any who want to make juice/cider.

GG

There's a man on the south coast who has one tree on which he has grafted 250 varieties.

Yes, I saw a picture of that in the paper a few weeks ago. I don't know how he keeps track of everything.

Posted by The Weeder (# 11321) on :

We have Bramleys, with which our neighbour makes apple pies and Russetts which seem to me too hard for human consumption. Fortunately, the wild boar love them and clear them away very quickly. It is impossible to keep the boar out of the garden, but the apples mean they do not create chaos.

[Tangent alert] According to our Department of Natural Resources, we're being invaded by scores of renegade game-farm wild boars and their progeny, destroying local ecosystems and spreading disease...every so often the local paper will carry the photo of a hunter who, while stalking something else, bagged one of these exotics. (The DNR encourages hunters to kill them on sight.)

Sometimes our "apple-ing" takes us into some fairly remote rural places. So far, the only wildlife I've encountered sharing the bounty have been songbirds, deer and a raccoon. Until now I never thought of the possibility of encountering a wild boar... [Eek!]

Posted by Galloping Granny (# 13814) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Galloping Granny:
I found a delectable new variety in the supermarket last month, called Ambrosia – has anyone else eaten it? Crisp and sweet as an apple should be.
GG

Did some Googling and found Ambrosia is a British Columbia variety (but those I bought were locally grown).

GG

I think part of the appeal of heirlooms lies in some of their names...who wouldn't want to try Sops of Wine, or Blue Sheepnose? (Although...my reaction to the former was "meh.")

Anyone ever try Spitzenburgs? They were, it is said, one of Thomas Jefferson's favorite apples and part of his orchard at Monticello. My impression, after tasting one at Northport, was that its looks were more impressive than its flavor...but that's just me.

Hey, Penny S, we tried your applesauce with onions tonight, with roast pork.

It's wonderful! Thanks for sharing.

Thank you - and thank my Mum and her Mum...

quote:
Originally posted by LutheranChik:
I think part of the appeal of heirlooms lies in some of their names...who wouldn't want to try Sops of Wine, or Blue Sheepnose? (Although...my reaction to the former was "meh.")

Anyone ever try Spitzenburgs? They were, it is said, one of Thomas Jefferson's favorite apples and part of his orchard at Monticello. My impression, after tasting one at Northport, was that its looks were more impressive than its flavor...but that's just me.

You have to be careful with those old names; some of them are for apples that were prized for cidermaking or dried rather than to be eaten raw or baked.

I've had Spitzenberg, they were mediocre once and very tasty a second time. I suspect they have to be really ripe.

© Ship of Fools 2016